• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
If Geno makes it this time we need this guy to play Beware The Forest Mushrooms

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Why do i feel like this is something that Doom Slayer would do? singing/playing an instrument while killing demons
I mean, this is what I imagine is going through Doomguys head as he goes off to kill demons.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
I mean, this is what I imagine is going through Doomguys head as he goes off to kill demons.
"you can say my hat is off to you" proceeds to tear the sh#t out of the head of a hell knight

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Every now and then between all the Geno hate, there’s a good post on Gamefaqs.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78143628

It definitely seems like we’re getting another Capcom, Namco, and Square rep. I would guess Monster Hunter, Lloyd, and Geno. So those three and then Doom Slayer, Ryu Hayabusa, and Crash would fill out the remaining fighter in this pass as well as another five fighter pass.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
man. as much as i love these "leaks" i cant help but go back to one main thing every time i think of geno: sakurais mindset. leaks are hype and make the thread lit af but the heart of smash will always b sakurai

i keep thinking of what he said at the japan game awards a couple months back: "...making Smash Bros on the Switch was the last mission the late Satoru Iwata gave to me....I've put my all into the game, and with more DLC I will continue to work hard." a lesser quote is "...Even if the Super Smash Bros. series continues moving forward, I doubt there will ever be an opportunity to bring this many characters together again."

this is a fulfillment of multiple games spanning across different generations and being cultivated into the ultimate version. it kind of reminds me of how artists throughout history have painted a series of subjects then when theyve exhausted their ideas and creative exercises as experimentations, they put it all together into a masterpiece that becomes their lifes work. ultimate is that for sakurai; he is a man who grasps and understands that he is in the middle of crafting his magnum opus. the fact that he evoked iwata at the game awards is profound; he is finishing a project that his boss and friend gave him before he died, and now he wants to do the best job he can both to honor his wishes/legacy as well as please the fans, and we are all watching it unfold. this is at the height of nintendos popularity since the wii days and the power behind this endeavor has cemented ultimate as the best selling fighting game in history. all of these things will never happen again in such a short period of time again; its too perfect of a storm to b replicated

what im saying is that sakurai is in full YOLO mode and hes not stopping. hes striking while the irons hot cuz when else are you going to get as many different companies to all lend you their star characters again? geno is a "missing link" when it comes to smash spec historically to the point that sakurai has acknowledged as much in interviews. if there was ever a time when anything is possible -- like a side character from a spinoff thats 20+ years old getting in -- its now

sakurais attention to detail and repeated insistence on pleasing the fans with how he speaks of the dlc also lends itself to genos inclusion. who the hell would have ever predicted that wed reach a timeline where sakurai was giving us a 48 minute history lesson on king of fighters? lmao. then the dev team really put in 50 songs from it into the game. before that, this man really went to microsoft for banjo, then advertised their system on nintendos stream as a deal/thank you for letting him use banjo. all of this **** is wild. it is unbelievably wild. geno being in would b even more wild and ridiculous, which is why its going to happen

dont get me wrong. i love all the leaks, analysis, theories, etc. but i think of sakurai and i just cant see him ending this without geno. i cant see him having said that comment about having wanted geno in, acknowledging the requests for him before, etc. and NOT thinking 'nows when i can pull it off' and running with it like he did with banjo. i just cant

inb4 something dumb like goose from untitled goose game instead

tl;dr = sakurais in full YOLO mode in the middle of a project that he realizes is his masterpiece. so he will hav felt compelled to finally put in geno who id guess he sees as unfinished business

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
man. as much as i love these "leaks" i cant help but go back to one main thing every time i think of geno: sakurais mindset. leaks are hype and make the thread lit af but the heart of smash will always b sakurai

i keep thinking of what he said at the japan game awards a couple months back: "...making Smash Bros on the Switch was the last mission the late Satoru Iwata gave to me....I've put my all into the game, and with more DLC I will continue to work hard." a lesser quote is "...Even if the Super Smash Bros. series continues moving forward, I doubt there will ever be an opportunity to bring this many characters together again."

this is a fulfillment of multiple games spanning across different generations and being cultivated into the ultimate version. it kind of reminds me of how artists throughout history have painted a series of subjects then when theyve exhausted their ideas and creative exercises as experimentations, they put it all together into a masterpiece that becomes their lifes work. ultimate is that for sakurai; he is a man who grasps and understands that he is in the middle of crafting his magnum opus. the fact that he evoked iwata at the game awards is profound; he is finishing a project that his boss and friend gave him before he died, and now he wants to do the best job he can both to honor his wishes/legacy as well as please the fans, and we are all watching it unfold. this is at the height of nintendos popularity since the wii days and the power behind this endeavor has cemented ultimate as the best selling fighting game in history. all of these things will never happen again in such a short period of time again; its too perfect of a storm to b replicated

what im saying is that sakurai is in full YOLO mode and hes not stopping. hes striking while the irons hot cuz when else are you going to get as many different companies to all lend you their star characters again? geno is a "missing link" when it comes to smash spec historically to the point that sakurai has acknowledged as much in interviews. if there was ever a time when anything is possible -- like a side character from a spinoff thats 20+ years old getting in -- its now

sakurais attention to detail and repeated insistence on pleasing the fans with how he speaks of the dlc also lends itself to genos inclusion. who the hell would have ever predicted that wed reach a timeline where sakurai was giving us a 48 minute history lesson on king of fighters? lmao. then the dev team really put in 50 songs from it into the game. before that, this man really went to microsoft for banjo, then advertised their system on nintendos stream as a deal/thank you for letting him use banjo. all of this **** is wild. it is unbelievably wild. geno being in would b even more wild and ridiculous, which is why its going to happen

dont get me wrong. i love all the leaks, analysis, theories, etc. but i think of sakurai and i just cant see him ending this without geno. i cant see him having said that comment about having wanted geno in, acknowledging the requests for him before, etc. and NOT thinking 'nows when i can pull it off' and running with it like he did with banjo. i just cant

tl;dr = sakurais in full YOLO mode in the middle of a project that he realizes is his masterpiece. so he will hav felt compelled to finally put in geno who id guess he sees as unfinished business
I don't think I could describe what I feel about Geno better than what you did even if I tried, for me Geno it's a lock

vivala

Smash Journeyman

I think it's also important to add that Sakurai made it clear how important Geno is right before Ultimate began development. Geno was the only DLC mii costume to get a splash screen, which indicates that Sakurai thought he was more hypeworthy than Isabelle and K. Rool, that latter of whom got in specifically because he's a longstanding fan request. Sakurai felt this way only two months before Ultimate's development officially began. There is no way he hasn't considered Geno worthy of Ultimate.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Every now and then between all the Geno hate, there’s a good post on Gamefaqs.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78143628

It definitely seems like we’re getting another Capcom, Namco, and Square rep. I would guess Monster Hunter, Lloyd, and Geno. So those three and then Doom Slayer, Ryu Hayabusa, and Crash would fill out the remaining fighter in this pass as well as another five fighter pass.
I don't think we're going to get a Monster Hunter rep. Rathalos is probably the best way they saw to represent the series. I think Jill, Leon, and Dante are much more likely. Actually, to be perfect DLC would be:

Ryu Hayabusa, Scorpion, Doom Slayer, Heihachi Mishima, Crono, Lloyd Irving, Geno, Jill Valentine, Leon Kennedy (Echo), Crash Bandicoot, Lara Croft, Gordon Freeman, Dante, Master Chief, Sora.

That would be perfect for me.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I think this board is getting too obsessive with trying to find out if this leak is true when people are trying to analyze what Sabi liked on Twitter.

Here's the thing, we can all wait. Would it be good to know if this leak is real sooner? Sure, but we'll find out eventually, but for now let's just take it with a grain of salt. Again this can go in many different directions.

It could be fake and some modder made an incredible breakthrough. It could be real but Doomguy & Geno are also Mii Costumes that goes along with the other costume. Maybe one is a fighter and the other is a costume. And best case scenario both are actual fighters. We'll know in due time so there's no need to try pry info from other people until they're ready to disclose it themselves.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I think this board is getting too obsessive with trying to find out if this leak is true when people are trying to analyze what Sabi liked on Twitter.

Here's the thing, we can all wait. Would it be good to know if this leak is real sooner? Sure, but we'll find out eventually, but for now let's just take it with a grain of salt. Again this can go in many different directions.

It could be fake and some modder made an incredible breakthrough. It could be real but Doomguy & Geno are also Mii Costumes that goes along with the other costume. Maybe one is a fighter and the other is a costume. And best case scenario both are actual fighters. We'll know in due time so there's no need to try pry info from other people until they're ready to disclose it themselves.
Wynn is right, we'll know in literally a month, you guys. Let's just stop overanalyzing it and wait calmly. The winds may final flow out way in December

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I don't think we're going to get a Monster Hunter rep. Rathalos is probably the best way they saw to represent the series. I think Jill, Leon, and Dante are much more likely.
When it comes to Capcom characters that aren’t in the game yet, I think that one particular name beats out all: Phoenix Wright.

He’s been quite well-requested, has a massive Nintendo history including starting on the platform back in the GBA era, would have a ridiculous, neat moveset as shown in UMVC3, and would be the “heroic, family-friendly” way to represent the VN genre as opposed to, say, a murderous robotic bear.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
When it comes to Capcom characters that aren’t in the game yet, I think that one particular name beats out all: Phoenix Wright.

He’s been quite well-requested, has a massive Nintendo history including starting on the platform back in the GBA era, would have a ridiculous, neat moveset as shown in UMVC3, and would be the “heroic, family-friendly” way to represent the VN genre as opposed to, say, a murderous robotic bear.
Ace Attorney is nowhere near as big as Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, or Monster Hunter. He's not going to get in before a RE rep or Dante. And he's not that requested compared to other fighters.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Ace Attorney is nowhere near as big as Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, or Monster Hunter. He's not going to get in before an RE rep or Dante.
Aw, damnit! Guess we should pack it up, then, by that logic Sora and 2B are practically guaranteed before Geno.

In all seriousness, though, requests seem to legitimately matter now, and Phoenix has had a particularly notable amount of them in Smash’s history, especially compared to RE or DMC. On top of that, the RE protagonists are little more than “regular people with guns”(as much as I would love a villain rep from that series, that seems very unlikely) and I could also see them preferring to use someone else over Dante since Bayonetta already exists to represent both the same creator and style of game.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
This picture is going to get plenty is use in the coming months.
View attachment 245747
Exactly.

That statement basically means that series like Minecraft and Fortnite, which I've seen people argue will get playable characters in Smash just based on popularity, will actually not be getting playable characters based on popularity alone. Resident Evil being one of the biggest Japanese video game franchises is impressive, but it won't mean anything if Sakurai looks at the characters and thinks none of them would make for a fun Smash character.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
After Megaman Phoenix is the Capcom character with the most support both historically if you dig through ballot era polling (ie the only ones that could matter) and even now with that recent one sabi did have him almost double the votes of his closest competitor Dante. AA might not have pulled in the numbers RE and DMC have over the years but he is absolutely a bigger deal to the smash community and certainly not worth overlooking.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Since Sakurai is adept at making characters fun to play... that quote doesn't really mean a whole lot.

D

Deleted member

Ace Attorney is nowhere near as big as Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, or Monster Hunter. He's not going to get in before a RE rep or Dante. And he's not that requested compared to other fighters.
Okay but no? Phoenix is plenty requested and in recent memory usually tops around top 20-15 sometimes even 10 in polls if we're going off of requests.
(mobile link)

another poll link with Phoenix within the top 10

another poll with Phoenix being top 15

another poll that has Phoenix in the top 11

etc. etc.
Over all these polls the only characters that come close in popularity are Amaterasu and Dante. No Resident Evil and it seems that people usually overestimate how big of a deal RE really is. It's a big deal don't get me wrong but it's not the end all be all for Capcom characters and just cause it's relatively big doesn't mean other fighters can't swoop up the spot from it.

Phoenix has his own things going for him like his aforementioned popularity as well as him bringing a new genre to Smash, Having a lot of Nintendo history (which doesn't mean as much nowadays granted but it still means something), Him having the potential to bring a very fun and unique charm to Smash no other fighter could fill, Etc. Etc. You're seriously underestimating Phoenix Wright in comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
That quote was used to justify Terry's lack of familiarity with some people, (he even used Samus in Smash 64 as an example) and explain that how he envisions a character's moveset is more of an important deciding factor to him. Obviously how recognisable a character is has played a role in how much of a priority certain characters are over others but I assume what he can do with a character for a moveset is more important to him as well

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Since Sakurai is adept at making characters fun to play... that quote doesn't really mean a whole lot.
Well, a character like Lara Croft may not stand out compared to Geno and 2B. I don’t see how Leon Kennedy would be fun to play as compared to Dante, Phoenix Wright, or Ameratsu unless he brings out some zombie mechanic.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well that's because we only ever see the characters he is able to make fun to play. :V
Which maybe not so incidentally has coincided with going for the bigger series within a company when the inclusion isn't attributed to Smash demand.

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
If Doomslayer AND Geno get in, While I would always have characters I want more than others, I think I would be completely filled with super smash bros ultimate, and everything else would be a delicious cherry on top of my mega sundae

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Well, a character like Lara Croft may not stand out compared to Geno and 2B. I don’t see how Leon Kennedy would be fun to play as compared to Dante, Phoenix Wright, or Ameratsu unless he brings out some zombie mechanic.
Frank West actually had that in the MVC games and it was really damn fun to use, with a couple of his moves involving him dodging away from zombies and shopping carts as they charge towards the opponent. However, Frank’s obviously... not exactly a frontrunner when it comes to Smash.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
wait, wynn728 wynn728 , you AREN'T being ridicoulusly negative? That's a shocker!
ok but seriously, that post was good and logical, thank you.
i keep dreaming a geno, doomguy, shadow triple reveal and then sakurai releasing the shadow video and saying that he was planned for base, but needed more work before being put in which is why he was an AT.
man sometimes i really wish the grinch leak had been true

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well a character like Lara Croft may also have the odds stacked against her because Sakurai seems more keen to draw from Japanese IP. Regardless, that might be true, it might not. A year and a half ago people were saying the Dragon Quest Hero would be boring compared to Geno.

I'm not going to underestimate Sakurai's ability to cull an interesting moveset simply because others might come up short. People did that with Pac-Man, people did that with Ryu, and, as said, people did that with Hero.

Maybe it was a sucker punch for those "YOUR CHARACTER IS IRRELEVANT NGAAAAA"... I think
Well Sakurai related it to Terry, I think he raised it because SNK properties may be less prolific than past third-party IP to a wide swath of the audience.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
In light of all the potential Geno hype (and to add my own positive energy into the pile o' wishes), how about ya'll have somethin' I just wrapped up finishing about ten minutes ago! This will be available as a print at Oni-Con in Galveston, for anyone who may just so happen to be going there. Hope you guys like this one!

Ahh, to finally contribute to the fanart pile.

geno-PNG-resize-v2.png

D

Deleted member

Well a character like Lara Croft may also have the odds stacked against her because Sakurai seems more keen to draw from Japanese IP. Regardless, that might be true, it might not. A year and a half ago people were saying the Dragon Quest Hero would be boring compared to Geno.

I'm not going to underestimate Sakurai's ability to cull an interesting moveset simply because others might come up short. People did that with Pac-Man, people did that with Ryu, and, as said, people did that with Hero.

Well Sakurai related it to Terry, I think he raised it because SNK properties may be less prolific than past third-party IP to a wide swath of the audience.
To be honest, I doubt anybody can make Lara Croft a very interesting character. She got her crossbow which Link and Pit but she got poison arrows, her iconic dual pistols while bayonetta has 4, acrobatic skills like Zero Suit Samus, an axe, and some rope or a hook. Doesn’t seem to add flashiness like 2B or Geno if Sakurai considers Lara as a Square fighter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom