• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
1st. Doomslayer Doesn't fit Smash Bros
2nd. he's too hardcore edgy to work in a light-hearted E10+ Game(He's basically Master Chief's Precursor)
3rd. he comes from A Gory game
Literally everything you've said can be applied to Snake, Bayonetta, or in some parts Joker. There is no predefined style for Smash so anything could really fit, and if they had to they'd tone his violence and gore down.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I will say a couple of things. Obvious troll is trying to 4D chess us when they were doing this thing way back (look at their messages) and...there is a lovely IGNORE button.

Anyhoo...Geno is a cool dude. And Doom Slayer/Guy/Man/Dude is cool too.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
...Like we've been saying, it's gotten to that point that someone especially noteworthy would need to shoot it down (not just doubt, full on disconfirmation) or the people behind the hoax would need to step forward and provide evidence that they did it to totally kill it.
Pretty much where we are at. This is one of those rare "leaks" that's true until its been disproved ... unlike the vast majority of these "leaks."

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Based on how things have gone down, I will say that the Jiggle Mallow leak is very, very different from the Grinch Leak and I'll try to condense it to avoid making a wall of text:

-One of the cool things that Sabi did to prove they knew what they were talking about when I first met them last November is that they gave me breadcrumbs to chat logs and conversations among various insiders. Grinch Leak was well known to be fake by a lot of people and a number of insiders tried to steer the public away from it as gingerly as they could. Basically people knew it was fake but couldn't explain it in public without the strong possibility of Nintendo's boot snuggly implanted in their ass.

-Like I said the other day, GameExplain making not one but two videos on it within hours of each other is super suspect. A vast majority of the leaks they bother to cover wind up being real and this is primarily because of their strong connections with Nintendo.

-Behind closed doors, nobody knows if this is real or not while the Grinch Leak was almost an inside joke to insiders in comparison. I can verify that a good number of Sabi's bigger sources are on the fence about it while, for the Grinch Leak, they were able to shoot it down with a single glance based on what they knew.

-It lines up pretty well with how Nintendo will hide things or flat out lie to their employees to keep certain things a secret until the right time. The fact that this leak is a massive blind spot for so many insiders honestly says a lot. I also suspect this may be why Nintendo isn't going on a tear on social media about it, seeing how hilariously bad they fumbled the ESRB leak with Smash 4.

Like we've been saying, it's gotten to that point that someone especially noteworthy would need to shoot it down (not just doubt, full on disconfirmation) or the people behind the hoax would need to step forward and provide evidence that they did it to totally kill it.
Knowing all this just tickles me inside.

Firox

Smash Master
Based on how things have gone down, I will say that the Jiggle Mallow leak is very, very different from the Grinch Leak and I'll try to condense it to avoid making a wall of text:

-One of the cool things that Sabi did to prove they knew what they were talking about when I first met them last November is that they gave me breadcrumbs to chat logs and conversations among various insiders. Grinch Leak was well known to be fake by a lot of people and a number of insiders tried to steer the public away from it as gingerly as they could. Basically people knew it was fake but couldn't explain it in public without the strong possibility of Nintendo's boot snuggly implanted in their ass.

-Like I said the other day, GameExplain making not one but two videos on it within hours of each other is super suspect. A vast majority of the leaks they bother to cover wind up being real and this is primarily because of their strong connections with Nintendo.

-Behind closed doors, nobody knows if this is real or not while the Grinch Leak was almost an inside joke to insiders in comparison. I can verify that a good number of Sabi's bigger sources are on the fence about it while, for the Grinch Leak, they were able to shoot it down with a single glance based on what they knew.

-It lines up pretty well with how Nintendo will hide things or flat out lie to their employees to keep certain things a secret until the right time. The fact that this leak is a massive blind spot for so many insiders honestly says a lot. I also suspect this may be why Nintendo isn't going on a tear on social media about it, seeing how hilariously bad they fumbled the ESRB leak with Smash 4.

Like we've been saying, it's gotten to that point that someone especially noteworthy would need to shoot it down (not just doubt, full on disconfirmation) or the people behind the hoax would need to step forward and provide evidence that they did it to totally kill it.
As I've said before, the reason why video leaks are the most convincing is because it requires the most skill to fake by far. Also note that no smash bros video leak including gameplay has ever been proven straight-up false (Bowser Jr., Shulk and Ken). Couple that with the fact that many reputable modders have yet to replicate the footage, I'm going to have to lean towards Team Real. I'm betting that the next direct will be a double reveal with Doomslayer and Geno, hence why both mii costumes were being developed at the same time. It's because they will likely be released together. The clues, timing and circumstances are beginning to line up in a more than suspicious way.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I've seen a lot of people getting pissy over Geno on Reddit, glad y'all are staying optimistic. "Every character in Smash is influential and represents something, what does Geno represent, a niche loosely connected side story?! Har har har"

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
2nd. he's too hardcore edgy to work in a light-hearted E10+ Game(He's basically Master Chief's Precursor)
Uh, that doesn't mean much. We have Bayonetta, Snake and Joker. All of which are from M rated games.

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of Papa, from his discord he still thinks the Mallow/Smithy initial text leak may still be legit since the person has connections, but gets good and bad info. So it STILL can be true, at least that leak since it did get Rocket Grunt and Goemon correct, with the Grunt being the most random to even try to predict. (granted, I still am holding on to a large grain of salt since it is still a text leak.)
That's honestly been my exact line of thinking, as well. Right now, I'm really curious to see if Papa, Sabi, or someone else can contact the guy who made that Mii Costume list and ask them about what actually is going on here between that costume leak and the fake Terry one (whether they both come from the same source, whether one is leak bait and the other isn't, etc.).

Because to me, although my line of reasoning may be faulty on this, the CacoMallow hat leak relies heavily on the Mii Costume leak since Mallow was the key character in each. To me, if that Mii Costume list was actually fake but just a really lucky guess or something, I'd be hard-pressed to believe that some crazy dedicated guy truly did sort of piggyback off it and manage to create that difficult-to-fake CacoMallow leak.

However, if the original Mii Costume leak truly is real but this Terry one wasn't for some reason, I'd be more inclined to believe that the CacoMallow leak actually is authentic and that the Mallow hat is evidence to support it.

It just seems far too strange of a coincidence to me that within 1-3 months apart, two random credible Mallow leaks appear, unless they're either both fake or both real. That's why I'm really curious for some answers from the person with the Mii Costume leak.

Firox

Smash Master
I've seen a lot of people getting pissy over Geno on Reddit, glad y'all are staying optimistic. "Every character in Smash is influential and represents something, what does Geno represent, a niche loosely connected side story?! Har har har"
The more pissed people are on Reddit, the better Geno's chances. It's just karma at work.

D

Deleted member

Obviously he represents the partnership between Nintendo and Square...

and the hopes and dreams of a thousand manchildren like myself, of course.

Dynamic Worlok

Reddit can't piss all over purity like this:4pacman:

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
2 and 3 are pretty much the same point, just worded differently. Also, I'm pretty sure Persona 5 had some blood in it too. Not only that but both Joker and Snake have realistic looking weapons too, so you can't bring up that argument either.
they had to change the final smash to be less bloody. . . My Point still stands. . .

Literally everything you've said can be applied to Snake, Bayonetta, or in some parts Joker. There is no predefined style for Smash so anything could really fit, and if they had to they'd tone his violence and gore down.
Yeah; in order to keep the game E10+ they have to:
1. Not let the characters Swear
2. Not have Naked Chicks, or exposed breasts within Cleavage(as why Mai Shiranui isn't even a cameo)
3. Not allow for Gore & Blood(Since they needed to change Joker's Final smash from Blood shooting out of their heads, to stars; and changed Morgana's line to time for some brutality, instead of the Original time for some blood
4. Just because I'm against Cereza, AND Doomslayer & any Mortal Kombat Characters, doesn't mean I don't want characters from any Bloody games; as I would be lying if i said that I didn't want Travis Touchdown in Smash, albeit they'd have to Censor his Pottymouth(whether he has a censor bar & Censor Bleep out every cuss he says, or have him say less dirty things) AND Not allow his beam katana to be able to draw any blood

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
It's funny because Geno got pretty high scoring on that huge ass fan poll they did awhile back.

Firox

Smash Master
they had to change the final smash to be less bloody. . . My Point still stands. . .
But.....couldn't they just tone down Doomslayer? There's multiple characters with realistic guns and swords but they never generate blood. I think the fact that Bayo is in the game despite her game literally featuring tons of gore and nudity is proof that violence is not a deterrent for getting into Smash.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Would not be mad over this. I feel we will get a Smash Direct in December to commemorate Ultimate turning a year old. Reveal fighter 5, talk about future DLC and surprise reveal.

If there was a December reveal, it would be at the VGAs

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
All three of these are basically the same reason. (the reason being that Doom's too violent to make it in) We're long past the point of claiming that a character doesn't "fit" in Smash Bros. (the first game alone had Captain Falcon and Kirby, two very different franchises, side by side, and Smash 4's DLC ended with Bayonetta, a character who's about as far from "family friendly" as you can get), and characters can be violent without being gory, both in Smash (Ridley, for example) and for Doomguy specifically (through games like Quake Champions).

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
But.....couldn't they just tone down Doomslayer? There's multiple characters with realistic guns and swords but they never generate blood. I think the fact that Bayo is in the game despite her game literally featuring tons of gore and nudity is proof that violence is not a deterrent for getting into Smash.
This, just ditch the chainsaw and don't show blood. Easiest censor job they have had yet.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
My Point still stands. . .
Not really, as others have stated, Metal Gear and Bayonetta are both gory games too, and both Snake and Bayonetta still made it in. If they can tone down both of them like that they can do the same for Doom Slayer too. I don't even get why you're discussing this in the Geno support thread anyway, so you're just wasting your time here.

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
Not sure I should be replying to an obvious troll, but...
They can change Doomguy. They did it with Joker, they did it with Bayonetta, and they did it with Snake. Don't need the gore to be there for him to have a pretty faithful moveset.

Firox

Smash Master
This, just ditch the chainsaw and don't show blood. Easiest censor job they have had yet.
Exactly. In fact, Sakurai basically said "sameness" is pretty much the only real deterrent for a character to get into smash. Diversity of moveset is what he values most.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Exactly. In fact, Sakurai basically said "sameness" is pretty much the only real deterrent for a character to get into smash. Diversity of moveset is what he values most.
Yep, lucky for doomguy he was the first gun biped to make it in so he can escape that problem. Though I think the chances of someone like jill/Leon or master chief ect. goes way down if doom makes it in.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Not sure I should be replying to an obvious troll, but...
They can change Doomguy. They did it with Joker, they did it with Bayonetta, and they did it with Snake. Don't need the gore to be there for him to have a pretty faithful moveset.
OK. . . So they CAN tone him down. . .
HOWEVER, I'm Still not holding my breath for ANY mortal Kombat characters; since Blood & Gore is part of MK's Identity, and fans were pretty P***ed off when DC vs MK had no Gore & Blood; and He can't add that to Smash Bros. . . You cannot simply tone down Mortal Kombat characters without expecting any sort of negative backlash. . . I'd sooner expect a Tekken Character than a Mortal Kombat Character; since MK just isn't right for Smash Bros; Because even if they DID tone down, I Don't Know, Say Scorpion, It'd be taking away the main thing that Makes Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat; The Extreme Blood & Gore. . . the one thing that keeps it from ever being allowed into Smash Bros. . .

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

where was that when he put 90 Marths into the game...

Yep, lucky for doomguy he was the first gun biped to make it in so he can escape that problem. Though I think the chances of someone like jill/Leon or master chief ect. goes way down if doom makes it in.
[Samus wondering if she is a joke intensifies]

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
You can still have the chainsaw in Smash Bros, look at Corrin's sword. When you charge for a Forward Smash Corrin keeps her sword out and if you walk into in you take damage like it's a chainsaw. As long as there is no blood and the characters aren't dismembered Doomguy should be alright.

We got Joker & Bayo shooting people, Snake breaking necks, Ridley impaling with his tail, ever one cutting people with sword; you know, stuff that's are for good boys & girls.

Firox

Smash Master
Totally agree. Following that same logic, I think Terry and the Shotos have effectively killed the chance of any further vintage fighting game characters from getting in with the rest of this game's DLC as well.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Geno pretty clearly represents Mario RPGs, idk what's so hard for people to grasp about that. His game is the progenitor of a subset of the Mario series that's had more games (and probably more sales) than a lot of series represented in Smash. He'd also be the only character representing Square's work on the SNES, which was a huge part of the console's identity.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Maybe for awhile, but we don’t know how much DLC there will be, so I wouldn’t immediately rule them out

D

Deleted member

I don't recall jill ever rolling Into a ball and pooping bombs, don't know what game your playing. :ultpacman:
it just feels like on more than one occasion in this thread, something has been said about Doom Guy that applies to Samus and it's being ignored for convenience's sake. "first FPS rep" "bipedal gun character" etc etc.

Maybe I missed some kind of subtlety here

Plank08

Smash Lord
Terry looks cool, the stage is awesome, there’s a lot of music, and the mii costumes weren’t shown, making Doomslayer and Geno even more likely

this is a good day

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I don't recall jill ever rolling Into a ball and pooping bombs, don't know what game your playing. :ultpacman:
The mental picture of Jill Valentine rolling into a ball and "pooping" bombs made me literally lol. Geez, I'm gonna get so fired.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I'm Still not holding my breath for ANY mortal Kombat characters; since Blood & Gore is part of MK's Identity, and fans were pretty P***ed off when DC vs MK had no Gore & Blood; and He can't add that to Smash Bros. . . You cannot simply tone down Mortal Kombat characters without expecting any sort of negative backlash. . . I'd sooner expect a Tekken Character than a Mortal Kombat Character; since MK just isn't right for Smash Bros; Because even if they DID tone down, I Don't Know, Say Scorpion, It'd be taking away the main thing that Makes Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat; The Extreme Blood & Gore. . . the thing that keeps it from ever being allowed into Smash Bros. . .
To that, I say this: the two Injustice games had Mortal Kombat guest characters (Scorpion in the first one, Sub-Zero and Raiden in the second). Granted, those games can be pretty brutal at times, but at the end of the day they're still T-rated and nowhere near as violent as the Mortal Kombat games. Yet, I don't remember people complaining about Injustice toning down the Mortal Kombat characters, at least not as much as when Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe did.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
it just feels like on more than one occasion in this thread, something has been said about Doom Guy that applies to Samus and it's being ignored for convenience's sake. "first FPS rep" "bipedal gun character" etc etc.

Chief and doom have energy weapons and re has rpgs but samus's suit makes her physics weird and gives access to stuff like the morph ball, grapple beam and screw attack. The point I was making is that most of these fps reps people are throwing around are just regular(ish) humans with a bag full of guns, basically nothing else.

I mean this is basically the same song and dance as last time, I just don't see how same weapon type = same character I all.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
People are forgetting one thing regarding the Fighter Pass: it concludes in February of next year. If Fighter 5 has to be revealed, it has to be in December given how there's been about a two month gap between the previous fighters of when they were announced and then when they were released

Dynamic Worlok

Doomguy is the first fps rep. In that he reps the first fps

D

Deleted member

I skipped to this page so I could ask this question: Was the video leak with the Mallow and Cacodemon hats officially been addressed by an insider or do we not know yet? A lot of people assume it was because they weren't revealed with Terry. Why would they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom