• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Sure, Sakurai did make a note of how a character doesn't have to be simply popular to get into Smash, but I already feel like people are just dissecting his words and overanalyzing everything. It's clear that this wasn't a scripted presentation, so I don't get why some people online get so hung up over the word choice that is used. Yeah, Sakurai may say something that doesn't quite translate well into English, so I don't think it's necessary to get bent out of shape over random words.

Also, we're absolutely looking too far into things when there's a conversation about how one of the online icons was Geno and just happened to be featured. There's also an icon for Ness' Dad, which is just the phone. If it showed up, I really doubt people would ask "OmG IS ThIS A HINT??111!". Leave the overanalyzing to GameXplain. That's their whole schtick.

In conclusion: It's not really worth trying to pick out unrelated instances to a presentation and trying to connect them simply because it could be interpreted a certain way. Sometimes it feels like y'all are that one meme from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia with the conspiracy board and connecting all the points together. Some of it is just not necessary. Speculation is fine, but there's a fine line between obsession and actual evidence.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Sure, Sakurai did make a note of how a character doesn't have to be simply popular to get into Smash, but I already feel like people are just dissecting his words and overanalyzing everything. It's clear that this wasn't a scripted presentation, so I don't get why some people online get so hung up over the word choice that is used. Yeah, Sakurai may say something that doesn't quite translate well into English, so I don't think it's necessary to get bent out of shape over random words.
I mean there's not really much to dissect. He just said whether a lot of people find a character to be recognizable or whether they're new/old isn't as important as being fun to play. So that just throws away the notion that a character needs to be super recent or recognizable to the mainstream to get in the game.

I still believe the mii list papa got but for the people who don’t let me give you my theory why he got a few wrong. Sabi has made it clear yesterday that the reason why the noa source can’t confirm/debunk the mii hat leak because not many people know/ care about mii info. So it’s possiable the source heard different costumes from different people. So all and all I would not count this leak out just yet.
Yeah I don't understand people who are discounting the first list completely when it got things like Goemon and Rocket Grunt which absolutely no one could have predicted would come with Banjo-Kazooie months before BK came out.

Last edited:

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Since NONE of the costumes that were shown in DLC Pack 4 were shown in the leak; I'm 100% certain that it was fake(thank GOODNESS)

p.s. GENO WHIRLS INTO SMASH!!

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
So that happened not terribly surprised. The 50 songs was an eyebrow raiser at first but honestly I think it's actually a net negative for the reimu people because he went out of his way to say this was a special exception.
Love the new balance batch, I wish he could have done more than 6 at a time but it's not bad he targeted pretty much the entire low tier.

Looks like this is going to be the end of new modes after all. Was really hoping squad strike would go online but I guess that's pretty much dead now.

Love that sakurai called out all the populists hopefully this might generate some more discussion for forgotten but unique characters.
Something funny I'm seeing is people actually doubling down on the relevancy argument in spite of what we learned today. Which is hilarious
Sounds juicy can you share some places your seeing this?

Last edited:

Zav22

Smash Cadet
I just finished watching the presentation and it was great to see Terry in action, I cold tell just by looking at his moveset that he's gonna be pretty tricky to use compared to Ryu and Ken. I also saw his costumes and they look cool, I did hear that he has a female version but I'm glad it's not one of his alts because I feel like if it was then it would be the Corrin, Robin, and Pokémon trainer situation all over again where somehow the female Terry is the real Terry which thankfully isn't the case here. Im also surprised at how many guests appear in the background on the stage like in the animal crossing stage.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Do you have any reason to believe that this is the case? Not a single insider has mentioned him yet, and the main thing that he has going for him is a potentially real image leak

How is that in any way leakbait like Steve was?
Maybe not leakbait, but someone that fake leakers love to use because of the interview. He has been in so many leaks close to presentations yet nothing of sort happens. Don¨t get me wrong, I really don¨t care (aka neither being hyped or being against) if Doomguy gets in... but he has just mentioned to many random times that it makes me wonder.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
very long post
I think his statement about characters being fun to play is pretty cut and dry. But I agree about the whole icon thing. Maybe we can look back on it if geno is released and be like "shulk foresaw geno" but until then, it's likely not a direct hint of any kind

D

Deleted member

Looks like this is going to be the end of new modes after all. Was really hoping squad strike would go online but I guess that pretty much dead now.
Not that I have a horse in the "new mode" race since I could care less, but Home Run Contest was in the code for quite a while before it was revealed. If Slipspace is something really in the running, it might not show up until after the 5th fighter.

Dynamic Worlok

Sounds juicy can you share some places your seeing this?
It was on Twitter somewhere, but I didn't screencap the post. Someone posted the screencap of sakurai saying the thing, and they mentioned geno, to which someone responded with something like "LET'S SEE THE VAST NUMBER OF GAMES GENO HAS BEEN IN, LOL" followed by the "WHEEZE" reaction image

Zav22

Smash Cadet
I still wished they showed a new fighter though, I bet they're saving it for the video game awards in December

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So for December where would you guys prefer for the 5th and potentially 6th character reveals to be announced at? VGA or a Smash Direct? I would prefer a Smash Direct, but I guess VGA would be fine as long as one of the two is our star boi.

So I'mma focus on this bit right here.

I think this leads to a potential Bamco character and while think Heihachi COULD be revealed, I feel as if do to recent events it's much more likely to be Lloyd Irving.
  • We has that random info that certain icons famous to the Tales Of series had been trademarked/crafted yet no Tales Of game announcement.
  • Bamco has been a major factor in the creation of the past two Smash games, and it would seem remiss of Sakurai to not honor their help and legacy with another character.
  • Much like with Geno's costume, I think this would have been the time to show Heihachi's costume returning if it was going to. Now, you may think that goes in Heihachi's favor, much like how I thought Geno's costume COULD still happen if Sora was ever revealed, Heihachi could have his costume revealed with another Bamco character.
  • Heihachi isn't really the main focus of Tekken anymore. He's a big player, but it's more about Kazuya than anything, leading me to believe that if Tekken got a character it would either be Kazuya or Jin (or Lucky Chloe if Harada-san wanted to screw with Western fans again, XD!).
  • The fact that Kazuya and Jin have the Devil Gene and that such a thing could be worked into Smash makes me believe that those two characters hold more potential than Heihachi in terms of a moveset and being fun to play.
  • Speaking of being fun to play, Sakurai mentioning that being fun to play is a key factor. I feel like Tekken characters come off as too realistic in terms of what they can do and aren't really all that flashy outside of ridiculous characters like Ogre and such who are just weird and crazy. Ryu, Ken and Terry are much more flashy and have that cool and wow factor, and with the sudden recent (and stupid, IMO) wave of 'Not more fighting game characters) in the community it leads me to believe a Bamco character will be taken from elsewhere. Lloyd wields TWO SWORDS is a flashy styled boi, so I think he has a good shot.
  • Sakurai saying that recognition doesn't matter as much as being fun, which means that Lloyd being not as recent as other characters in the Tales Of series doesn't hurt his chances if Sakurai finds the dual sword aspect fun to work with.
Other than that, I REALLY want you guys to truly consider your freak-out session over what Sakurai said.

He merely mentioned that a character being fun is more important than if they are well-known. This does not kill an silent majority argument, merely the relevancy argument. While I do think this means we will never get CoD or AssCreed characters, Terry is a prefect example of a silent audience. Latin America loves KoF but never really brought him up as they didn't think it would happen. FGC community loves Terry for every he brings to the table, but he wasn't highly requested, and yet here he is.

I hate hype policing, but this is less 'Hype responsibly' and more 'You guys are blowing this out of the propotion it was meant to be contained in.' All this means is that a character's relevance is not the ultimate deciding factor, which frankly Joker, B&K and Terry already proved. Nothing has really changed in that regard. It doesn't mean their iconic nature or relevance ISN'T important, but rather Sakurai's idea of how fun they could be to play is MORE important.

However, I feel as if this DOES rule out stupid stuff like Jonesy or Tracer as all they really had going was current relevancy.
I've been predicting Lloyd as DLC for almost a year now. I completely agree with your post.

Dynamic Worlok

The cognitive dissonance is staggering
20191106_111924.png

Last edited:

Shadow__Myth

Smash Cadet
Anyone else a little disappointed with Terry? He feels really similar to Ryu and Ken. Having a backwards B is cool, but he doesn't really do anything else unique. He just feels kind of bland and everything he does we've already seen before.

D

Deleted member

So for December where would you guys prefer for the 5th and potentially 6th character reveals to be announced at? VGA or a Smash Direct? I would prefer a Smash Direct, but I guess VGA would be fine as long as one of the two is our star boi.
I want it in a direct. For one, because like someone mentioned in this thread, I want to see the freakout at Nintendo World. That always gets me. Two, I don't want to have to sit through the video game equivalent of the Oscars just to see some Smash information.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I want it in a direct. For one, because like someone mentioned in this thread, I want to see the freakout at Nintendo World. That always gets me. Two, I don't want to have to sit through the video game equivalent of the Oscars just to see some Smash information.
Same here. It's great that Banjo & Kazooie was revealed at the Nintendo E3 Direct instead of the Microsoft E3 conference because I didn't wanted to sit through that and I didn't.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Same here. It's great that Banjo & Kazooie was revealed at the Nintendo E3 Direct instead of the Microsoft E3 conference because I didn't wanted to sit through that and I didn't.
I watched it only because I heard rumor that Shiggy was there. Thing about an E3 press conference is that you can always laugh and have a good time making jokes about games you don't care about.

The VGA on the other hand is kind of depressing to me. Last year's especially, like, ok, how many times can Red Dead Redemption 2 win an award? Do people really believe it's that great?

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Yeah I brought this up last night, the NYC crowd ain't hard to please but watching them go bananas is always a treat. Also having to sit through tga last year was excruciating and frankly I'm dreading it as it approaches because I know if I skip out they're going to show something good.

Not to mention the amount of people watching for smash news will be so much smaller than for a direct so there is inevitably going to be a much smaller pool of reactions to get. Luckily I think unless we get somthing this month doom is infinitely more likely to be the one they decide to use there so im not terribly worried.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The VGA on the other hand is kind of depressing to me. Last year's especially, like, ok, how many times can Red Dead Redemption 2 win an award? Do people really believe it's that great?
I have had Red Dead Redemption 2 since last year and I still haven't played it lmao! I have such a big collection of games that I simply just don't have the time to play through them all lol!

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Anyone else a little disappointed with Terry? He feels really similar to Ryu and Ken. Having a backwards B is cool, but he doesn't really do anything else unique. He just feels kind of bland and everything he does we've already seen before.
It amazes me that, instead of trying to really get in there and differentiate them on a high level of play, Terry still has a brain-dead jab into shoryu combo as one of his best options, just like the character he’s being constantly compared to.

For me personally, he feels like what happens if you mix the Shotos with Little Mac.

link2702

Smash Champion
Terry looks fun, so I’ll test him tonight.

Disappointed that the king of evil still doesn’t have any buffs when he desperately needs them, but at least they gave k.rool some much needed frame buffs.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
the ones that had Mallow & Some Doom Enemy as Mii Fighter Costumes. . .
How does that make it fake? These could easily be in beta testing, especially if you consider that Terry's stream was done last month. The two costumes could definitely be for Fighter #5. I'm not saying that's the truth but it is definitely the more likely possibility.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
No, the video leak’s still alive and kicking, and still means good things for Geno. Are you confused with one of the text leaks?
No; Those totally look FAKE. . . Like they were modded over existing Helmets & hats; That Doom helmet looks like a Re-modded Meta Knight Mii Fighter Helmet. . .

link2702

Smash Champion
You know....what sucks is we’re now back to being in limbo, having to wait once again to see if he’s truly happening.

Sure the mallow hat gives us lots of reasons to be hopeful, but the wait for the official yay or nay is torture.

Last edited:

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
The only worry I have is the Virtua Fighters coming with Terry, since they're not SNK. But I suppose the theme of fighting games explains it.

I honestly see challenger pack 5 being orange and then Geno coming as dark blue with the reveal that color theory was intentionally referencing the seven stars.

But only time will tell. I'm very confident and excited to play Terry

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
You know....what sucks is we’re now back to being in limbo, having to wait once again to see if he’s truly happening...

Sure the mallow hat gives us lots of reasons to be hopeful, but the wait for the official yay or nay is torture...
As Much as I Want Geno in smash; I DON'T Want doom in the game as well. . . and If I can't have Geno without Doomslayer; I'm Not interested. . .

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So I just realize something remarkable just now guys, we are just 291 pages away from surpassing the Smash 4 Ridley thread which is the biggest support thread in Smashboards history.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I think it's important to note that the longest smash stream in history lacked any kind of heads up as to the next fighter, regardless of the amount of Terry content delivered. That said, this is my honest prediction:

We will get a Smash direct sometime in December because the VGA's won't offer a sufficient time slot for what comes next. Why? Because I think said Smash direct will not only unveil a finished version of Fighter #5 (I'm betting on Doomguy), but then announce Fighter Pass #2 with Geno (or swap with Doomguy if Geno is F5) as the vanguard. That would explain why the most recent video leak showed the DOOM and Mallow costumes being developed together. It's because they'll be unveiled on the same day with a double fighter reveal.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
To bring up Mii stuff again, it is really likely not all "Missing" Mii costume stuff will be revealed with the last fighter, look at how many are left (If I am missing any costumes missing via Sm4sh DLC, please correct me):

Chocobo Hat
Geno Outfit
MegaMan.EXE Outfit
X Outfit
Heihachi Outfit
Lloyd Irving Outfit
Hunter Outfit
Rathalos Outfit
Gil Outfit

There is no way that the final fighter will have all those costumes. Especially since we can see that these Pass fighters include mii costumes from their brands (minus Banjo since he was from a rival company). So even IF the final fighter is someone from Microsoft of Playstation, it is highly, highly unlikely the rest of them will all come with it due to the sheer number of them.

What does that mean?

Some of these outfits could be upgraded fighters. Some could be randomly released later via the next wave/round/individualized DLC. Or some may not come back. Though the last one may be the least likely since they have been slowly coming back. Who knows though!

From that list, I would like to see Geno, Lloyd and X (though not likely, we got Mega Man rep already.)

Last edited:

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I think it's important to note that the longest smash stream in history lacked any kind of heads up as to the next fighter, regardless of the amount of Terry content delivered. That said, this is my honest prediction:

We will get a Smash direct sometime in December because the VGA's won't offer a sufficient time slot for what comes next. Why? Because I think said Smash direct will not only unveil a finished version of Fighter #5 (I'm betting on Doomguy), but then announce Fighter Pass #2 with Geno (or swap with Doomguy if Geno is F5) as the vanguard. That would explain why the most recent video leak showed the DOOM and Mallow costumes being developed together. It's because they'll be unveiled on the same day with a double fighter reveal.
I Just hope Geno's part of Fighter Pack 5 AND N-O-T DOOMSLAYER!!!

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
I'll have to wait for tomorrow, when I check out my college's game room, before I can play with the new patch, but I'm just curious here.

If any mains of Falco or Squirtle see this post, have they finally gotten some sort of update in this patch, or are they still the only 2 veterans left untouched?

D

Deleted member

No; Those totally look FAKE. . . Like they were modded over existing Helmets & hats; That Doom helmet looks like a Re-modded Meta Knight Mii Fighter Helmet. . .
... a fitting question given our character today: are you ok?

From that list, I would like to see Geno, Lloyd and X (though not likely, we got Mega Man rep already.)
If we get another Mega Man and it isn't EXE I'm gonna riot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
???
I don't think you know what you're talking about(?)
It's very clear based off countless failed attempts by modders that these "mods" are almost impossible to replicate with 100% accuracy. It's always been either:
•Inaccurate hat designs
•covers Mii face
•never used in an actual replay of Smash
•never used in Smash period
or
•lack the jiggle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom