• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Quick recap for those just tuning in:

-We livin'.

-Sakurai himself confirms he dgaf if only 5 people recognize a character as long as they're fun.

-Pretty much every major text leak since mid October got steamrolled.

-Mii costume leak from July is still alive but part two released last month was definitely wrong.

-Jiggle Mallow leak is still jigglin' .

-My theory about the Mii costumes for #4 being fighting game themed was right but Heihachi being missing is super suspect.
So you seem surprised at Heihachi's absence. The question is whether or not he is one of the names talked about (or I suppose just any Bandai Namco character in general).

I hope we can start getting some firm leak predictions soon rather than vague, not taking side statements from people.

Also, since the Terry presentation is over, can we see VR Plant's prediction?

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I can imagine that the Heihachi costume might not be returning out of respect for Ishizuka. It seems kinda wrong to throw his most famous role's likeness to the Smash customization dogs.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Not have her appear at all.

Can I just say, I loved how Sakurai not only put down the idea that the more unrecognizable characters couldn't get in, but went about educating people about Terry as if he saw all the "literal who" stuff.
Look, I am not a fan of Mai myself, but i am sure there are ways to include her without making her too risque and without changing her too much. There has to be a way, right?

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I can imagine that the Heihachi costume might not be returning out of respect for Ishizuka. It seems kinda wrong to throw his most famous role's likeness to the Smash customization dogs.
reminds me of Max if you added the bunny hood.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
^^^ This. I did not even consider this fact. It is possible that is the case, but who knows for certain.
Honestly, I could see them returning with the next fighter. There are no rules that the costumes have to come with a character from the same company. Square-Enix is the only exception compared to the other fighters.

EDIT: And Joker. Forgot about Joker.

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
That presentation was a lot of fun! I have no connection to Fatal Fury or Terry, but just like always, there was a lot of love and effort put into him. Seeing Sakurai happy was also really nice. It shows he really loves what he's doing

Also the relevancy argument is 100% dead now. It's been dead for a while, but Sakurai's statements solidify it for those who still believe it matters. Very good for Geno's chances

F for Frogger though :(

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I just finished watching the stream guys and I got only one thing to say... SAKURAI WAS A BADASS!

-My theory about the Mii costumes for #4 being fighting game themed was right but Heihachi being missing is super suspect.
Then Lloyd Irving is missing too and Heihachi was in Pac-Man's taunt while Lloyd didn't get even a Spirit in the game. Quite interesting indeed.

Last edited:

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
There wasn’t any character reveal today, but there will surely be one some time soon.

I believe Geno will get revealed along with the Doom Marine; I feel like they will get announced around the same time or at least a close gap in between their reveals.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I mean his weapon/abilities are on the whole pretty different than Samus's. That's like saying Samus and Mega Man are too similar because they both have arm cannons.
Would you be surprised to know that that was the exact reason several people thought why Megaman would not be added to Smash? 'He would be a clone of Samus.'

Yes, the Smash fanbase really does come up with the dumbest reasons to exclude characters.

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
What I find odd is those set of characters are the same ones that showed up in the november direct, all in the same spot.(klaptrap drmario, shulk and geno)
Let me try to explain that with my software development background.

When you develop anything you have to test it, and to do that easily you frequently have a set of mock data already set up to test different scenarios, so you don't have to input or make changes every single time. So, for example, if you want to test how some visual changes look with 4 players, you load your 4 player mock data instead of havibg to boot up and manually select characters and icons for every player. In this case, they probably have test data with those 4 selections that you mentioned and used the same one merely by coincidence.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Let me try to explain that with my software development background.

When you develop anything you have to test it, and to do that easily you frequently have a set of mock data already set up to test different scenarios, so you don't have to input or make changes every single time. So, for example, if you want to test how some visual changes look with 4 players, you load your 4 player mock data instead of havibg to boot up and manually select characters and icons for every player. In this case, they probably have test data with those 4 selections that you mentioned and used the same one merely by coincidence.
nah it's literally a static menu in the game.

I'm starting to think that there's people in this thread who don't even really play Smash.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So I'mma focus on this bit right here.

I think this leads to a potential Bamco character and while think Heihachi COULD be revealed, I feel as if do to recent events it's much more likely to be Lloyd Irving.
  • We has that random info that certain icons famous to the Tales Of series had been trademarked/crafted yet no Tales Of game announcement.
  • Bamco has been a major factor in the creation of the past two Smash games, and it would seem remiss of Sakurai to not honor their help and legacy with another character.
  • Much like with Geno's costume, I think this would have been the time to show Heihachi's costume returning if it was going to. Now, you may think that goes in Heihachi's favor, much like how I thought Geno's costume COULD still happen if Sora was ever revealed, Heihachi could have his costume revealed with another Bamco character.
  • Heihachi isn't really the main focus of Tekken anymore. He's a big player, but it's more about Kazuya than anything, leading me to believe that if Tekken got a character it would either be Kazuya or Jin (or Lucky Chloe if Harada-san wanted to screw with Western fans again, XD!).
  • The fact that Kazuya and Jin have the Devil Gene and that such a thing could be worked into Smash makes me believe that those two characters hold more potential than Heihachi in terms of a moveset and being fun to play.
  • Speaking of being fun to play, Sakurai mentioning that being fun to play is a key factor. I feel like Tekken characters come off as too realistic in terms of what they can do and aren't really all that flashy outside of ridiculous characters like Ogre and such who are just weird and crazy. Ryu, Ken and Terry are much more flashy and have that cool and wow factor, and with the sudden recent (and stupid, IMO) wave of 'Not more fighting game characters) in the community it leads me to believe a Bamco character will be taken from elsewhere. Lloyd wields TWO SWORDS is a flashy styled boi, so I think he has a good shot.
  • Sakurai saying that recognition doesn't matter as much as being fun, which means that Lloyd being not as recent as other characters in the Tales Of series doesn't hurt his chances if Sakurai finds the dual sword aspect fun to work with.
Other than that, I REALLY want you guys to truly consider your freak-out session over what Sakurai said.

He merely mentioned that a character being fun is more important than if they are well-known. This does not kill an silent majority argument, merely the relevancy argument. While I do think this means we will never get CoD or AssCreed characters, Terry is a prefect example of a silent audience. Latin America loves KoF but never really brought him up as they didn't think it would happen. FGC community loves Terry for every he brings to the table, but he wasn't highly requested, and yet here he is.

I hate hype policing, but this is less 'Hype responsibly' and more 'You guys are blowing this out of the propotion it was meant to be contained in.' All this means is that a character's relevance is not the ultimate deciding factor, which frankly Joker, B&K and Terry already proved. Nothing has really changed in that regard. It doesn't mean their iconic nature or relevance ISN'T important, but rather Sakurai's idea of how fun they could be to play is MORE important.

However, I feel as if this DOES rule out stupid stuff like Jonesy or Tracer as all they really had going was current relevancy.

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
nah it's literally a static menu in the game.

I'm starting to think that there's people in this thread who don't even really play Smash.
Oh yeah just read your previous reply, that was me overthinking things. In my defense I've never gone into the arena.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
Quick recap for those just tuning in:

-We livin'.

-Sakurai himself confirms he dgaf if only 5 people recognize a character as long as they're fun.

-Pretty much every major text leak since mid October got steamrolled.

-Mii costume leak from July is still alive but part two released last month was definitely wrong.

-Jiggle Mallow leak is still jigglin' .

Oh boy things are looking good.

D

Deleted member

So I'mma focus on this bit right here.

I think this leads to a potential Bamco character and while think Heihachi COULD be revealed, I feel as if do to recent events it's much more likely to be Lloyd Irving.
  • We has that random info that certain icons famous to the Tales Of series had been trademarked/crafted yet no Tales Of game announcement.
  • Bamco has been a major factor in the creation of the past two Smash games, and it would seem remiss of Sakurai to not honor their help and legacy with another character.
  • Much like with Geno's costume, I think this would have been the time to show Heihachi's costume returning if it was going to. Now, you may think that goes in Heihachi's favor, much like how I thought Geno's costume COULD still happen if Sora was ever revealed, Heihachi could have his costume revealed with another Bamco character.
  • Heihachi isn't really the main focus of Tekken anymore. He's a big player, but it's more about Kazuya than anything, leading me to believe that if Tekken got a character it would either be Kazuya or Jin (or Lucky Chloe if Harada-san wanted to screw with Western fans again, XD!).
  • The fact that Kazuya and Jin have the Devil Gene and that such a thing could be worked into Smash makes me believe that those two characters hold more potential than Heihachi in terms of a moveset and being fun to play.
  • Speaking of being fun to play, Sakurai mentioning that being fun to play is a key factor. I feel like Tekken characters come off as too realistic in terms of what they can do and aren't really all that flashy outside of ridiculous characters like Ogre and such who are just weird and crazy. Ryu, Ken and Terry are much more flashy and have that cool and wow factor, and with the sudden recent (and stupid, IMO) wave of 'Not more fighting game characters) in the community it leads me to believe a Bamco character will be taken from elsewhere. Lloyd wields TWO SWORDS is a flashy styled boi, so I think he has a good shot.
  • Sakurai saying that recognition doesn't matter as much as being fun, which means that Lloyd being not as recent as other characters in the Tales Of series doesn't hurt his chances if Sakurai finds the dual sword aspect fun to work with.
I think it's funny that Sakurai mentioned Pac Man and says he calls him "your company's character" when talking with Bamco people. It's like he was joking about how even now, they only have one character. I'm surprised people aren't hung up on that as some kind of hint.

Firox

Smash Master
I'm still surprised that Terry has a forward special and a back special. I thought for sure that Burn Knuckle would be his down special and Crack Shoot would be his side special. I also love his final smash and the super special moves.
Now I'm wondering why more characters don't have a back special too. It's kinda cool to technically have 5 specials.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Okay, maybe I'm just very sleep desprived, but when I saw this:
TerryKirby.jpg

I legit thought the hat said "Fatal Kirby". What a missed opprotunity!

Last edited:

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
Edit: Wrong thread.

Geno’s chances are still looking good. Hopefully we get some insider confirmation soon.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I must be the only one here that is starting to wonder if Doom Guy (or just something popular to fake leak due to the interview) is leak bait like Steve was for Banjo

Firox

Smash Master
If Mai Shiranui couldn't get in due to being too jiggly, I doubt Mallow's chances are any better.
LOL I love how the moral of the story is that nudity is bad but violence is A-OK. And since we aren't getting any female Terry alts, the fighters pass continues to be a sausage fest. That makes four predominately male characters. Is that a pattern? If so, then Geno and Doomguy's chances just keep looking better.
:4pacman:

D

Deleted member

LOL I love how the moral of the story is that nudity is bad but violence is A-OK. And since we aren't getting any female Terry alts, the fighters pass continues to be a sausage fest. That makes four predominately male characters. Is that a pattern? If so, then Geno and Doomguy's chances just keep looking better.
:4pacman:
Super Smash Bros Ultimate: No Girls Allowed

The only wood we want here is Geno.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Also RE: Heihacis voice actor. They have changed the voice actor before. I doubt that is an issue

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
He merely mentioned that a character being fun is more important than if they are well-known. This does not kill an silent majority argument, merely the relevancy argument. While I do think this means we will never get CoD or AssCreed characters, Terry is a prefect example of a silent audience. Latin America loves KoF but never really brought him up as they didn't think it would happen. FGC community loves Terry for every he brings to the table, but he wasn't highly requested, and yet here he is.
I dunno why but this really hit me. Sakurai and his team are so dedicated to making a game that can appeal to everyone, and is looking to make everyone’s wishes come true.

God video games are so cool man.

Firox

Smash Master
As a K.Rool main.. thank god they buffed him!
I know, right?! Can you believe that this patch actually BUFFED characters that actually NEEDED it?! Kirby, Krool, Robin, DK, Incineroar and Jigglypuff mains rejoice!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I would just like to note, Samurai talked about how a fun moveset trumps being recognizable, right?

Sakurai noted Geno's great moveset potential when he discussed how he wanted him.

Edit: Curse you autocorrect.

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
I know, right?! Can you believe that this patch actually BUFFED characters that actually NEEDED it?! Kirby, Krool, Robin, DK, Incineroar and Jigglypuff mains rejoice!
It’s a great day for all!

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
I still believe the mii list papa got but for the people who don’t let me give you my theory why he got a few wrong. Sabi has made it clear yesterday that the reason why the noa source can’t confirm/debunk the mii hat leak because not many people know/ care about mii info. So it’s possiable the source heard different costumes from different people. So all and all I would not count this leak out just yet.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I think this presentation might have soft-deconfirmed another Namco rep, at least any time soon.

Sakurai offhandedly mentioned that when communicating with Namco, he frequently referred to Pac-Man as “their character”, which confused them. On one hand, it could be taken as “it must have confused them because there’s another in the works!” but in that case, Sakurai would most likely refer to him by name and not have the anecdote to begin with.

Imagine saying this about the FIRST CHARACTER TO HAVE TWO SIDE SPECIALS
After Hero, that means basically nothing.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Looks like I was wrong about the Mii costumes, and I’m really happy that I was

I must be the only one here that is starting to wonder if Doom Guy (or just something popular to fake leak due to the interview) is leak bait like Steve was for Banjo
Do you have any reason to believe that this is the case? Not a single insider has mentioned him yet, and the main thing that he has going for him is a potentially real image leak

How is that in any way leakbait like Steve was?

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Something funny I'm seeing is people actually doubling down on the relevancy argument in spite of what we learned today. Which is hilarious

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Something funny I'm seeing is people actually doubling down on the relevancy argument in spite of what we learned today. Which is hilarious
HAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAA

HOW MANY TIMES DO THEY NEED THIS **** SPELLED OUT FOR THEM

I know exactly where these remarks are coming from and it is ridiculous. K. Rool wasn't enough. B-K wasn't enough. Terry wasn't enough. Sakurai flat-out TELLING THEM wasn't enough.

They're just that goddamn dense.

Firox

Smash Master
HAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAA

HOW MANY TIMES DO THEY NEED THIS **** SPELLED OUT FOR THEM

I know exactly where these remarks are coming from and it is ridiculous. K. Rool wasn't enough. B-K wasn't enough. Terry wasn't enough. Sakurai flat-out TELLING THEM wasn't enough.

They're just that goddamn dense.
It's called Denial 101. Who needs things like truth or logic when you can hate something enough to justify yourself?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

imagine hating a character or characters so much that you just start ignoring what the creator of the game says in no unclear terms.

D

Deleted member

Based off Sakurai’s statement, Geno and 2B may have a better chance than Lara Croft because they would stand out more. I’m not familiar with Tomb Raider, but as far as I know, Lara has guns, bow and arrow, grappling hook, and a torch. Geno and 2B would bring more depth and a flashiness to the roster. Can’t really think any sort of mechanic she would bring.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Say, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , do you know if VR Plant's prediction had anything to do with the presentation, or is it still up in the air and neither proven or disproven yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom