• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
'We are happy to announce that Terry comes with 50 songs! As this crossover may not happen again, we didn't want to square, ahem, SQUANDER this musical opportunity.'

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't count the Mii costume leak entirely out yet. The first one is still alive. I'm surprised we didn't get a Geese costume. Geno and Doomguy are still alive.

Oh by the way, the update is out now.

D

Deleted member

Either way, while I am not completely ruling this leak out, what if this leaker did fake it, and took time to figure out how porting or making costumes for the Switch works? Just saying.
Then we were thoroughly fooled and he outdid the entire modding community at their own game for the sake of a fake leak. It isn't out of the question, and for all we know, unlikely as it is, this could all be extremely clever video editing and there aren't even any models.

I get that people have Grinch PTSD but this isn't the same situation. No prominent insiders are telling us its fake, and we're not ignoring their hints. There was actual gameplay video and not just promotional artwork at an impossibly small resolution. The people who are the most knowledgeable of how this might have been faked are completely stumped and most agree that it would have to be real. And best of all? We have nothing to lose by believing it. If it's fake, we're exactly where we were before it happened, unlike how the Grinch leak died on the next presentation. In fact, we're better off than ever now that Sakurai has come right out and said "relevancy doesn't matter, all I care about is if the character is fun to play".

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Speaking of Doomguy, Sakurai said something about not allowing Mai from SNK be a cameo because she was risque. What about Bayonetta and Doomguy?
Well to be fair, Doomguy is pretty risque. Just look at how he's parading around in Doom Eternal, showing off his midriff and all that. 2Hot4Smash :ultpacman:
While Bayo may not be as risque, she does have some violence, and Doomguy is from a series has been historically violent. I am not saying I wanted her, but if such things can get in and if Doomguy gets in, why not let Mai make a cameo?
Violence is much less of a taboo than sexual content is, especially in western cultures. While it's feasable to tone down someone's revealing outfits a bit (Bayonetta) or remove any blood or gore (Doomguy), toning down Mai is a much taller order given her... assets.
View attachment 245448
Mallow/Smithy leak might've taken a hit. There's a second part of it that PapaGeno's was sent a few days ago that had a Geese costume on it (which we obviously would've received in this presentation). There's a small chance that they're still seperate, though
Again yeah, this does hurt the first list's credibility, I won't deny that. But it's not as major as some would think.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Speaking of Doomguy, Sakurai said something about not allowing Mai from SNK be a cameo because she was risque. What about Bayonetta and Doomguy? While Bayo may not be as risque, she does have some violence, and Doomguy is from a series has been historically violent. I am not saying I wanted her, but if such things can get in and if Doomguy gets in, why not let Mai make a cameo?
Historically when it's come to censorship in the media violence has been more permissible than sexual content.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I love that Sakurai clearly stated that it doesn't matter if the character is relevant, but instead whether they are fun to play.

Big ups for Geno today.
Sakurai did say a reason he wanted Geno was because of his Cannon Arm as it's be unique. I suppose Sakurai may have forgot samus existed actually tbh

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Then we were thoroughly fooled and he outdid the entire modding community at their own game for the sake of a fake leak. It isn't out of the question, and for all we know, unlikely as it is, this could all be extremely clever video editing and there aren't even any models.

I get that people have Grinch PTSD but this isn't the same situation. No prominent insiders are telling us its fake, and we're not ignoring their hints. There was actual gameplay video and not just promotional artwork at an impossibly small resolution. The people who are the most knowledgeable of how this might have been faked are completely stumped and most agree that it would have to be real. And best of all? We have nothing to lose by believing it. If it's fake, we're exactly where we were before it happened, unlike how the Grinch leak died on the next presentation. In fact, we're better off than ever now that Sakurai has come right out and said "relevancy doesn't matter, all I care about is if the character is fun to play".
In response to your first little paragraph, I did say forget about me calling this fake several posts ago. Besides, we should never give up just yet. This IS a possible pointer for Geno getting in after all. So why stop believing in it?

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Another very important thing to take away from this presentation. It doesn't matter if a character has a directly transferable moveset. As they've shown with terry, they're perfectly fine with just making up new moves.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Sakurai did say a reason he wanted Geno was because of his Cannon Arm as it's be unique. I suppose Sakurai may have forgot samus existed actually tbh
I mean his weapon/abilities are on the whole pretty different than Samus's. That's like saying Samus and Mega Man are too similar because they both have arm cannons.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well to be fair, Doomguy is pretty risque. Just look at how he's parading around in Doom Eternal, showing off his midriff and all that. 2Hot4Smash :ultpacman:

Violence is much less of a taboo than sexual content is, especially in western cultures. While it's feasable to tone down someone's revealing outfits a bit (Bayonetta) or remove any blood or gore (Doomguy), toning down Mai is a much taller order given her... assets.

Again yeah, this does hurt the first list's credibility, I won't deny that. But it's not as major as some would think.
Historically when it's come to censorship in the media violence has been more permissible than sexual content.
I see. Still, it is not like they couldn't have found a way to tone down Mai's risqueness, like how someone else here said they did with Bayonetta.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Here's that image of the Geno icon shown today. I don't really know why people are that concerned/freaking out over it. It was just shown because Sakurai was showing off the menu for the 6.0 update... wasn't really a hint or anything.

(That being said, Geno's chances are still good! Nothing in this presentation hurt his chances seemingly. As an aside, I find it quite suspect that Heihachi's Mii costume didn't return with this pack...)

Attachments

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Here's that image of the Geno icon shown today. I don't really know why people are that concerned/freaking out over it. It was just shown because Sakurai was showing off the menu... wasn't really a hint or anything.

(That being said, Geno's chances are still good! As an aside, I find it quite suspect that Heihachi's Mii costume didn't return with this pack...)
I think that is just Geno's spirit there.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
A friend relayed to me what happened in the stream. I think it’s VERY interesting that the Virtua Fighter costumes are back with Terry despite being Sega characters.

Also “Whether the character is fun to play is more important than whether the character is new or old or recognizable to everyone” is probably the best news I’ve heard since bonus fighters were confirmed.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I think that is just Geno's spirit there.
I know. But people earlier were wanting a screencap when it was brought up that a Geno icon was shown. So I got it and wanted to let people know that it wasn't really anything worth talking about, since it was just the typical menu.

D

Deleted member

I see. Still, it is not like they couldn't have found a way to tone down Mai's risqueness, like how someone else here said they did with Bayonetta.
I don't see it like that. Sure, they could put Mai into a different outfit, but that doesn't undo the fact that she has some state fair winning, country grown melons on the farm. You can't just take that away.

The translation says that "[Geno] has a gun for an arm", but I'd be interested to know if that should have been translated as "in", since that's the more accurate statement. A character who has fists primarily that can then become guns is way different than Samus or Mega Man and really shouldn't be compared as such.

D

Deleted member

So that Mii costume leak may have lost some credibility. But at least Sakurai saying it doesn’t matter whether the character is recognizable or not, it’s the matter of the character being fun ton play as so Team Relevancy BTFO

AugustusB

Smash Champion
You could pretty easily take the doom guy, give him his energy weapons and some close combat and call it a day. I mean we already have bayo and snake, so it's really anyone's guess what even is acceptable anymore
No doubt about that. The idea of Sakurai not being able to tone done Mai's sexiness is what is cracking me up.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I know. But people earlier were wanting a screencap when it was brought up that a Geno icon was shown. So I got it and wanted to let people know that it wasn't really anything worth talking about, since it was just the typical menu.
Oh.

It's an icon you can pick for your online presence
With Geno's spirit appearance, apparently.

Heoj

Smash Ace
Here's that image of the Geno icon shown today. I don't really know why people are that concerned/freaking out over it. It was just shown because Sakurai was showing off the menu for the 6.0 update... wasn't really a hint or anything.

(That being said, Geno's chances are still good! Nothing in this presentation hurt his chances seemingly. As an aside, I find it quite suspect that Heihachi's Mii costume didn't return with this pack...)
What I find odd is those set of characters are the same ones that showed up in the november direct, all in the same spot.(klaptrap drmario, shulk and geno)

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't see it like that. Sure, they could put Mai into a different outfit, but that doesn't undo the fact that she has some state fair winning, country grown melons on the farm. You can't just take that away.

The translation says that "[Geno] has a gun for an arm", but I'd be interested to know if that should have been translated as "in", since that's the more accurate statement. A character who has fists primarily that can then become guns is way different than Samus or Mega Man and really shouldn't be compared as such.
You mean her boobs? They could just reduce them like they did with Zero Suit Samus. No need to fully take them away.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
What I find odd is those set of characters are the same ones that showed up in the november direct, all in the same spot.(klaptrap drmario, shulk and geno)
Then they're probably just reusing old footage, no?

D

Deleted member

That's because that's the menu. Like literally if you turn on your game right now and go to the battle arenas menu, that's the picture you get.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So I literally just finished watching the Terry Bogard and I must say, it was absolutely a blast!

Sakurai gushing and being so open and free on camera for 45 mins was amazing.

As it turns out, Terry is really complex. He's got some similar stuff to what Ryu and Ken have, but he also has that dodge-counter attack mechanic and he also has TWO SIDE SPECIALS and a mechanic that gives him TWO MORE POWERFUL MOVES when he is either below 30% in Stamind Mode (which is VERY accurate to the older SNK titles) or above 100% normally.

I MAY upload my reaction for the first time since I started recording, and if I do you'll see me stunned at Crack Shoot being an ADDITIONAL Side-B, and how I immediately predicted that Power Dunk would be his Down-B. Also Power Charge being his dash attack is flawless. No Star Dunk Volcano destroys that stupid 4chan leak way before anything else did as well.

I was also momentarily disappointed because Sakurai and Co. had done SO WELL with Terry but then his FS was just Triple Geyser...AND THEN I SAW THE FULL THING AND I LOST IT!

AND THEN SUPER SPECIAL MOVES OMFG~! BBBBUUUUUUUUUSSSSTAAAAAAA WWWOOOOOOOOOOOOLFFF~!

The fact that he has both his older lines and his lines from Garou where it's 'Kickback' and 'Rock You!' instead of Crack Shoot and Power Wave really just shows the love.

I think the Mii Costume selection was brilliant and I lost it at the Ryo and Iori costumes because they were just so perfectly executed. When Virtua Fighter costumes came back I was for SURE Heihachi's costume would return, but it didn't, which has me theorizing on whether we could get Heihachi or if his costume will return with a potential Lloyd Irving/Soul Calibur character reveal.

AND HOLY ****ING BUTT MONKEYS 50 TRACKS! The WHOLE COST OF THE FP IS WORTH IT FOR THAT ALONE! Sakurai bias in FULL ****ING SWING, LEZZZ GOOOOO~!

Yeah, I was very satisfied with everything but how jarring the goodbye was. It was just 'We did too much, maybe we'll do better next time' and then he was gone. Also I'm kinda sad there was no Wild Wolf skin but I still totally dreamed Terry into Smash so it's fine if it's not exactly how I dreamed it. The attention to his alts and Kirby Bogard more than make up for it.

This was great, and I'm glad to see that many of you guys here who were questioning watching decided to do so and are loving seeing Sakurai so happy to be there, because to me that's what it's all about. I want Sakurai to love his work, because that means that not only is he happy, but that will continue to reflect in his work and decision. Sakurai explaining why Mai wasn't there and him feeling like it was a letdown to finish the final fight with a Power Wave were my top moments.

Wow Terry's moveset is boring.
Imagine saying this about the FIRST CHARACTER TO HAVE TWO SIDE SPECIALS.

I think it's fair to say Nintendo didn't "let" a damn thing happen. The image and videos were posted to /v/ first, they're all over the place, and there's nothing they can do about it. They're in an incredibly tough spot where they can either copyright strike any video or post that goes up of it and thus prove the leak, or just let it exist and hope people forget about it. And honestly? A lot of people probably will.

If it's real, for people who aren't actively supporting Doom Guy or Geno, it'll be a faint memory that when they see the costumes for real, they'll say "oh, I feel like this got leaked!" and that'll be the end of it.
Can we just say right now that my theory is basically confirmed at this point? I knew that characters were done well in advance of release, but now this confirms it 100%. Terry was done sometime August or September for this to have been filmed in on Oct 6th. This means Terry was mostly done (as Sakurai DID say that there will be small changes from their build to what we get today) by Oct 6th and that would allow a LOT of time to be dedicated to Fighter #5.

If we get a VGA reveal that is both a gameplay reveal AND a release date drop, I wouldn't be surprised.

spongeabc5

Smash Rookie
I don't want to put too much weight into an off-joke, but just before he said the thing about recognition not being as important as fun, didn't Sakurai say people didn't know who Samus was when 64 released?

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Well, that's that. Terry's presentation has come and gone, and with it the Leak/Rumor scene has shifted. Confirmations, disconfirmations and everything in between have occoured, so let's not waste any time and jump right into it. As a reminder, a (+) indicates a point in it's favor that has little to nothing that calls it into question, a (~) indicates information that is either unconfirmed or of a dubious nature, and a (-) indicates information that directly calls it's legitimacy into question. Enjoy the updated list! :ultridley:
MiiCostumeList1.png

This list was posted on the 19th of July via Discord. It was sent to PapaGenos, as well a few other unidentified individuals, by an anonymous individual who we'll refer to as "The Source". The Source provided a list of 7 names which they claim refer to upcoming Mii Fighter costumes.
-= Points =-
+ 4 of the 7 costumes on this list have been confirmed for the game. Easily the biggest thing this list has going for it, if you ask me.
~ The Source has, according to PapaGenos, provided him with credible information in the past. That information being that The Luminary from Dragon Quest 11 would be coming to Smash. This is notable since most insiders were claiming the DQ character would be Erdrick. He also supported the idea that Banjo was coming to Smash.
~ If the Mallow and Cacodemon items are confirmed true, then that bumps up the number of confirmed costumes to 5 out of 7.
~ In early-mid October, he has made the claim that Crash Bandicoot would be coming to Smash, though this claim has been contested by other insiders such as Sabi and IAmShifty.
~ According to Sabi, The Source is notorious amongst them for being a troll. This doesn't necessarily mean this info isn't real, but it does raise the possibility that it could be.
~ While The Source got 4 Mii Costumes correct, he didn't mention Sans.
~ The second Mii Fighter list he provided, which specifically involded which costumes would be coming alongside Terry, has been proven fake. This calls this leak's legitimacy into question, though not by much. It's still entirely possible that this list is legit.
MiiCostumeList2.png

This list was posted on the 28th of October via Discord. It was sent to PapaGenos, as well a few other unidentified individuals, by the same person who provided Mii Costume List 1, The Source. Since the Terry Livestream is less than 24 hours, this list will either be confirmed quickly or deconfirmed in spectacular fashion.
-= Points =-
- Terry's presentation has come and gone, and there are several costumes on this list that were not revealed. For all intents and purposes, this list is most likely entirely fake.
1572848718133.png

This image, as well as the two acompanying videos, were posted to 4chan's /v/ board on the 4th of November. The image and video details what appear to be unreleased Mii Fighter costumes, more specifically Mii Fighter hats of Mallow from Super Mario RPG as well as a Cacodemon from DOOM.
-= Points =-
+ As most Smash Ultimate modders would attest, it is very difficult to not only make such high quality costumes, but to also get them to run in-game without breaking or looking off.
+ Both of the Mii Fighters in the videos are emoting. This is usually unable to happen with modded Mii Fighter costumes.
+ The Mallow Hat jiggles, meaning that whoever made this hat would've had to have rigged a proper jiggle bone for it, which very few if any Smash mods have done for any game.
+ In spite of many claims to the contrary, nobody thus far has been capable of accurately replicating what is shown in these videos.
~ The hats are very detailed and high quality. While it's entirely possible that this is an indication of them being real, it's also possible, though very unlikely, that dedicated enough fans could accurately replicate this.
~ The timer in the top-right corner is stopped at 2 minutes and 30 seconds. This is consistent with a prior image leak of Ken from Street Fighter, who is coincidentally also in the image and video, in the same pose no less. While they are similar, it's also possible, assuming this is fake, that this was done deliberately by the faker in order to make the images and hats seem more legitimate.
~ Sabi has contacted one of her sources to ask about the hats, and while they believe them to most likely be faked, they could not definitively prove or disprove their legitimacy at this time.
FroggerLeak.jpeg

This image was posted to 4chan's /v/ board on the 29th of October.
-= Points =-
- While correctly guessing several things, such as when Terry would be released, as well as the name of his stage, none of the Mii Costumes listed were revealed in this presentation. This is fake. Also, lol Frogger.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Quick recap for those just tuning in:

-We livin'.

-Sakurai himself confirms he dgaf if only 5 people recognize a character as long as they're fun.

-Pretty much every major text leak since mid October got steamrolled.

-Mii costume leak from July is still alive but part two released last month was definitely wrong.

-Jiggle Mallow leak is still jigglin' .

-My theory about the Mii costumes for #4 being fighting game themed was right but Heihachi being missing is super suspect.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The problem with censoring Mai is that her look is so iconic, it would probably seem like disservice to Sakurai.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Maybe, but eh, what else can you do?
Not have her appear at all.

Can I just say, I loved how Sakurai not only put down the idea that the more unrecognizable characters couldn't get in, but went about educating people about Terry as if he saw all the "literal who" stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom