• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
So....some major takeaways from the Terry video:

A) No sign of Geno costume or any of the discussed costumes so breathe a sigh of relief
B) Yes, Terry IS that complicated (more so than Ryu/Ken) but without the tag mechanic (smh) looks super fun though
C) No Mai Shiranui? (Sakurai: "Too naked")
D) 50 music tracks?! (Yeah, in case you guys were wondering, Terry is 1000% Sakurai pick. I'm talking 45 minutes of fanboy humping a NEO GEO and little else)
E) Some nice tweaks to online arenas but nothing major
F) Mii costumes that WERE revealed were exclusively retro fighting games
G) KoF stage is simple but cool
H) No info on new characters or fighter pass #2 (sucks but expected)

Last edited:

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
I'm still surprised that Terry has a forward special and a back special. I thought for sure that Burn Knuckle would be his down special and Crack Shoot would be his side special. I also love his final smash and the super special moves.

D

Deleted member

Come to think of it, I believe it is fake. I don't know how it was made, but if that was leaked early before, I doubt they got those costumes from NIntendo. They may have been somehow made.
The timeline we know right now is that Terry's stage and his model/some special moves/voice lines were done in July. Sakurai said this presentation was finished about a month in advance, so Terry was done in either late September or early October. Again, going off the release pattern for these guys, it took them ~3 months to finish Terry.

But it doesn't take them three months to finish a Mii costume. The guys that Terry came with were probably done as soon as they said "ok, let's start on Challenger Pack 4." Whether Doom Guy or Geno is Challenger Pack 5, if those costumes are real, you can bet they're already done, even if Doom Guy or Geno doesn't come out until 3 months from now... Which just so happens to be January... or February at the latest.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
Looks like we're still in the clear. Notice how those fighting game mii costumes returned with a fighting game character, but Geno's mii costume never returned with a Square Enix character. Very suspicious to me.

D

Deleted member

1:13:53 of the live stream, while sakurai is talking about the battle arena changes it shows up.
However its strange because klaptrap, dr mario and shulk are all the same characters that were with geno during the November direct i think
I don't know what y'all want lmao it's showing the menu of course it wouldn't change. This means nothing.

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
Come to think of it, I believe it is fake. I don't know how it was made, but if that was leaked early before, I doubt they got those costumes from NIntendo. They may have been somehow made.
Not necessarily, for costumes to be rated by the ESRB they'd have to be complete weeks before release. I find it impossible that they'd release costumes 3 or 4 days away after testing/review, so it makes more sense Mallow and Caco, if real, are coming with the next fighter.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The timeline we know right now is that Terry's stage and his model/some special moves/voice lines were done in July. Sakurai said this presentation was finished about a month in advance, so Terry was done in either late September or early October. Again, going off the release pattern for these guys, it took them ~3 months to finish Terry.

But it doesn't take them three months to finish a Mii costume. The guys that Terry came with were probably done as soon as they said "ok, let's start on Challenger Pack 4." Whether Doom Guy or Geno is Challenger Pack 5, if those costumes are real, you can bet they're already done, even if Doom Guy or Geno doesn't come out until 3 months from now... Which just so happens to be January... or February at the latest.
Yeah, but why would Nintendo let those costumes be shown at all if they were real an not have them taken down? I still think something is fishy, regardless of how long it actually takes to make Mii costumes.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I don't know what y'all want lmao it's showing the menu of course it wouldn't change. This means nothing.
It means we are going to get a Geno icon as a playable character which has the same moveset as the little counters you play as in the Street Smash mode for Smash 3Ds

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
One more to go, fighter pass wise. We shall see if the fighter’s pass ends where it began at TGA. If there is an announcement then, it looks like the time table of through February 2020 will be as sakurai said, since it’s been about 2 months after a fighter has been announced gets released as shown with the last few fighters.

if the potential fighter is released from another studio (not owned by rival) then at least most of the Mii costumes will be from said company.

that also means that not all “missing” Mii costumes have to be included in the pass, some get promoted, or some come later with the next wave of DLC.

Last edited:

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
50 songs is hype. Though I have no real experience with SNK. Sakurai seemed pretty passionate about those games, was fun to see.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
It’s looking like the Smithy leak, if not dead, is incredibly suspect. (To give a very minor benefit of the doubt, Nintendo could have sent a couple different fake lists out to catch them, like Namco and Square apparently do.)

However, that does not affect the video leak in basically any way, and sort of deconfirms the potential theory that the Smithy leaker was actually “in on it”, in the scenario that it’s fake.

It would not remotely make sense to blurt out a wrong costume leak and destroy your credibility if you intended to hinge a major part of the believability on a massive video leak on something you slipped into an earlier legitimate leak, the better idea would be to entirely stay silent.

Last edited:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Also I just need to say that I absolutely love Terry's voice. It really encapsulates the character with the energy (and broken English, mind you) that the KoF and Fatal Fury series had. And Terry looks super fun to play. Overall, I'm very excited about this.

The next month is just gonna breeze by for me. I can tell. So much stuff to do, so many games to play. In no time, we'll be at the Game Awards and (hopefully) be gearing up for a Doomguy+Geno double reveal.

D

Deleted member

I was just mentioning it.
Oh okay I thought you were saying it meant he was going to be #5 or whatever. Sorry about that.

Anyways Terry is out right now so if you want to try him out he's already available.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Announcement at VGAs release in February 2020 maybe same day as PP I predict Doom Slayer

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Gee Terry, why does Sakurai let you have five specials.

Anyways looks like the guys SNK mii list was fake, at least in part. This doesnt help our chances but doesnt hurt either. The mallow hat is still kicking and will probably be alive until we get our reveal or some insider can prove its fake.

Also with Heihachi missing idk if that bodes well or bad for Lloyd :/ but its looking more likely we’re gonna get a namco rep eventually

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
About Terry himself, he's looking sick. I'm not into Fatal Fury or King of Fighters, but Sakurai and team did them justice and then some, as usual. And 50 music tracks? That's INSANE!

Also Sak's comment on how he doesn't care if characters are new or old, but rather how they play, bodes super well for Geno if you ask me. Man, the next character reveal can't come soon enough.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, but why would Nintendo let those costumes be shown at all if they were real an not have them taken down? I still think something is fishy, regardless of how long it actually takes to make Mii costumes.
I think it's fair to say Nintendo didn't "let" a damn thing happen. The image and videos were posted to /v/ first, they're all over the place, and there's nothing they can do about it. They're in an incredibly tough spot where they can either copyright strike any video or post that goes up of it and thus prove the leak, or just let it exist and hope people forget about it. And honestly? A lot of people probably will.

If it's real, for people who aren't actively supporting Doom Guy or Geno, it'll be a faint memory that when they see the costumes for real, they'll say "oh, I feel like this got leaked!" and that'll be the end of it.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
First off, I absolutely love how he low-key deconfirmed the notion that popularity was more important than being fun to play, as if that wasn't obvious. But I guess some people are kind of stupid and want to adhere to whatever's convenient to them.
Second, this stage is pretty cool. I was not expecting wall mechanics, nor was I ready for the amount of cameos on this stage. Also, RIP Mai, too sexy for Smash.
Third, 50 SONGS?! GodDAMN! And I thought Konami was generous with the songs they allowed! This is insane!
Fourth, I guess I was totally correct about the kinds of Mii Fighter costumes they'd show today. Kind of suprised that Heihachi didn't come back, and I'm also suprised that PapaGenos' source actually got some things wrong this time when it came to his list. Then again, I'm not exactly the most sure where that second image came from, so maybe it was fake? Maybe the info was just wrong? Leakbait, perhaps? Also, RIP Martian, too good for this sinful earth.
And fifth, can we talk about how wholesome this livestream was? Sakurai was like a kid in a candy store talking about Fatal Fury and King of Fighters, and that entire classic mode run was something else.
Overall, a pretty good presentation. I'll make an updated post a little later detailing where we are with regards to leaks and rumors.
Mii Costume bullet dodged!

Although i'm afraid to say, the Mallow/Smithy costume leaks are fake now. (NOT the Mallow/Cacodemon leak, the Mallow/Smithy leak) because that same leaker sent some Terry costumes which were not featured in this presentation.
I wouldn't jump the gun just yet. While the second list is most likely fake now, It's entirely possible that first list is still legit. Though I'm not gonna lie, it does hurt it's credibility a bit.
The geno icon appeared in the terry presentation for like a split second
You're gonna need to provide a screencap or something.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
That was a very chill video. Sucks that the Frogger leak is dead, but at least that is good new for Heihachi, Lloyd, and Hollow Knight fans. And dam, Terry is probably the most complicated character yet. I might not play him a lot because of that, but I will still enjoy him because he looks fun. I wish they could have done a litlle bit more with the online improvements, but other than that I was satisfied with this.

Also, 50 MUSIC TRACKS?!?! That is insane. But it also doesn't look good for any potential future SNK characters.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
People like to say Nintendo should’ve taken down the videos by now, but:

-Nintendo can’t stop people from sharing them, the people who have them downloaded them from 4chan, and they can’t do anything there
-They didn’t bother taking down tweets with the Ken leak, nor anything else regarding it; people like to say they only bother with gameplay footage, but if their system is automated, then it’s possible it wasn’t prepared for this + wouldn’t they want to take down real image leaks too, then?
-I did see people saying some links to these videos or their downloads, or the vids themselves were taken down off twitter, but I’m not sure if this is true

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I think it's fair to say Nintendo didn't "let" a damn thing happen. The image and videos were posted to /v/ first, they're all over the place, and there's nothing they can do about it. They're in an incredibly tough spot where they can either copyright strike any video or post that goes up of it and thus prove the leak, or just let it exist and hope people forget about it. And honestly? A lot of people probably will.

If it's real, for people who aren't actively supporting Doom Guy or Geno, it'll be a faint memory that when they see the costumes for real, they'll say "oh, I feel like this got leaked!" and that'll be the end of it.
Either way, while I am not completely ruling this leak out, what if this leaker did fake it, and took time to figure out how porting or making costumes for the Switch works? Just saying.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
I hope if Geno gets in, Sakurai shows the same love for him as he just did for Terry. I think him and Joker were his two personal wishes for the Smash roster and seeing the amount of love both have got is amazing. Banjo and Hero also had a lot of care put into them, but you could see in the presentations that Sakurai was really excited this time.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
People like to say Nintendo should’ve taken down the videos by now, but:

-Nintendo can’t stop people from sharing them, the people who have them downloaded them from 4chan, and they can’t do anything there
-They didn’t bother taking down tweets with the Ken leak, nor anything else regarding it; people like to say they only bother with gameplay footage, but if their system is automated, then it’s possible it wasn’t prepared for this + wouldn’t they want to take down real image leaks too, then?
-I did see people saying some links to these videos or their downloads, or the vids themselves were taken down off twitter, but I’m not sure if this is true
If Nintendo were to at least try to take them down, even if they wouldn't succeed, that would say something now, would it?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm seeing so many people being really angry already over the idea of Doom Marine and Geno still having a shot after today, probably only fueled by Sakurai shutting the super angry types down about relevancy and silent majority stuff. To those angry about the very idea of characters they personally don't care for making it in, refusing to act like a decent adult...

Are you okay? ;)

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure the Geno icon was just in the battle arena. He's had that icon since launch.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Not necessarily, for costumes to be rated by the ESRB they'd have to be complete weeks before release. I find it impossible that they'd release costumes 3 or 4 days away after testing/review, so it makes more sense Mallow and Caco, if real, are coming with the next fighter.
They don't both have to come with the very next fighter.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I'm seeing so many people being really angry already over the idea of Doom Marine and Geno still having a shot after today, probably only fueled by Sakurai shutting the super angry types down about relevancy and silent majority stuff. To those angry about the very idea of characters they personally don't care for making it in, refusing to act like a decent adult...

Are you okay? ;)
Where is this salt? I must season my breakfast with it

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Speaking of Doomguy, Sakurai said something about not allowing Mai from SNK be a cameo because she was risque. What about Bayonetta and Doomguy? While Bayo may not be as risque, she does have some violence, and Doomguy is from a series has been historically violent. I am not saying I wanted her, but if such things can get in and if Doomguy gets in, why not let Mai make a cameo?

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Theres only two things im mad about

1. No GEESU mii
2. No costume for Terry, Garou or heroines

lemon demon

Smash Cadet
Speaking of Doomguy, Sakurai said something about not allowing Mai from SNK be a cameo because she was risque. What about Bayonetta and Doomguy? While Bayo may not be as risque, she does have some violence, and Doomguy is from a series has been historically violent. I am not saying I wanted her, but if such things can get in, why not Mai?
I think it’s her outfit that makes her too risqué for smash rather than her context.

Dynamic Worlok

Speaking of Doomguy, Sakurai said something about not allowing Mai from SNK be a cameo because she was risque. What about Bayonetta and Doomguy? While Bayo may not be as risque, she does have some violence, and Doomguy is from a series has been historically violent. I am not saying I wanted her, but if such things can get in and if Doomguy gets in, why not let Mai make a cameo?
Because smash is for good boys and girls of all ages:4pacman:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
You know...That is an interesting point. I am not sure what the answer is, but the idea is kind of humorous.

"Smash is for good little boys and girls which is why Mai is not in...BUT NOW ITS TIME TO RIP AND TEAR!!!"

StarLight42

Smash Lord
imp.PNG

Mallow/Smithy leak might've taken a hit. There's a second part of it that PapaGeno's was sent a few days ago that had a Geese costume on it (which we obviously would've received in this presentation). There's a small chance that they're still seperate, though

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You know...That is an interesting point. I am not sure what the answer is, but the idea is kind of humorous.

"Smash is for good little boys and girls which is why Mai is not in...BUT NOW ITS TIME TO RIP AND TEAR!!!"
Now that you say it, I am humored by the idea of Doomguy getting in. So everyone, forget what I said about the Mallow and that demon leak and me saying it could be fake, okay?

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
I mean, Doom guy has a similar problem to Snake and he is in, toned down (in both senses) but in. Bayonetta also had a lot of her flagrant sexuality toned down, with the hair covering her way more than in the games. I guess they couldn't be bothered to design a way to censor Mai for just a background cameo so they just go rid of her, but for a fighter they would make a bigger effort to make it possible to include them in the game.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
I love that Sakurai clearly stated that it doesn't matter if the character is relevant, but instead whether they are fun to play.

Big ups for Geno today.

Dynamic Worlok

You could pretty easily take the doom guy, give him his energy weapons and some close combat and call it a day. I mean we already have bayo and snake, so it's really anyone's guess what even is acceptable anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom