• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Most everything is still pointing to a release this week. Just because the add is focusing on bigger things that are happening at the same time doesn't mean he's not coming till the 17th.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Wait what’s this about Amiibo coming next week? When I check Game Stop and Amazon’s US sites it says they’re coming on the 15th. Is Japan getting them a week ahead of time? Just curious since I thought it was kinda weird that they drop on the same day as Pokemon here.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I'm not reading all that, but I never said Sakurai hates Geno. He just not a priority for Sakurai and he probably rather work on many other characters despite the fan demand. But whatever, if you guys think all this is literally point to Geno being confirmed then go ahead and believe, just don't be upset when Geno doesn't make it for the sixth time.
I suppose it is easier to not read legitimate arguments against you if you have no real rebuttal. If you can't even read good points because it takes longer to read, well imagine how most of the people in this thread feel when we have to look at your regurgitated points over and over again (that don't even have backing, as MisterMike MisterMike explained if you actually read what he said).

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Wait what’s this about Amiibo coming next week? When I check Game Stop and Amazon’s US sites it says they’re coming on the 15th. Is Japan getting them a week ahead of time? Just curious since I thought it was kinda weird that they drop on the same day as Pokemon here.
It was on the last page, someone named atmoz. I dont have any idea what regional release scedules look like someone who does will have to clarify

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
This is a good point. Another one worth bringing up is that the next wave of Smash amiibos (Simon, Incineroar and Chrom) are releasing in Japan on November 8th, which would be November 7th for a good chunk of the world. November 7th is a Thursday and as such, lines up with the usual Smash DLC release times.
Note that Nintendo hasn't been patching the game only for amiibo support as of recent. The last time they did that was with Hero and that was arguably because Sakurai said Hero was pushed a bit back for some balance changes so they released the amiibo patch anyway. Amiibo support has for the most part been released alongside the DLC and the major update (X.0.0). It's very likely that like how Banjo's presentation had Sakurai chime in with the amiibos and their release date, we may see the same thing this week.
God, the Amiibo situation for this game is absolutely hilariously inefficient and random in its delivery. But good point all the same, it would be another opportunity to promote them despite their increasing irrelevance.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I suppose it is easier to not read legitimate arguments against you if you have no real rebuttal. If you can't even read good points because it takes longer to read, well imagine how most of the people in this thread feel when we have to look at your regurgitated points over and over again (that don't even have backing, as MisterMike MisterMike explained if you actually read what he said).
I'm reading a wall of text like that on this website, I got better things to do while my life instead. Beside, anything that says "Geno is extremely like" here is considered a legitimate arguments.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Not gonna lie, i’m really worried about who’s gonna be Fighter 76. Don’t care much about 75 because it’s almost certainly going to disappoint, but 76 feels like it has to be significant.

Like him or not, Joker turned heads. He was exciting in a good or bad way, depending on who you ask.

I just saw a leak that said Ryu Hayabusa would be 76, and while it’s obviously fake, thinking about that scenario kind of makes me a bit sick to my stomach. I want someone like Geno or Crash who will blow up the internet, 76 feels like such an important DLC spot for some reason.

No offense at all to Hayabusa fans, I just find he would be a really underwhelming start. I wouldn’t mind him as Fighter 5 or even later down the line, but that 76th spot has me really anxious right now.

EDIT: AAAND... I jinxed it, Hayabusa's probably 76 as of this edit, so stop liking this post, you jerks! Stop making me look stupid! :ultpacman:

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I'm not reading all that, but I never said Sakurai hates Geno. He just not a priority for Sakurai and he probably rather work on many other characters despite the fan demand. But whatever, if you guys think all this is literally point to Geno being confirmed then go ahead and believe, just don't be upset when Geno doesn't make it for the sixth time.
ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THAT?
Well it would be bad PR if Sakurai said he never really wanted to include Geno but wanted to give something minimal to the fans because of the request. Action speaks louder than words, so if Geno ain't Fighter #4 or #5 then I think Sakurai doesn't really care.
I know Sakurai keeps saying he likes Geno, but we also see that Geno isn't going to be the Fifth DLC Fighter. I believe that Sakurai really cares about Geno when he actually makes Geno playable, because it's so much easier to say "I hear you want him and I want him too," then following through with it.
That the key thing, if Sakurai wants him. But after all if this I firmly believe that Sakurai doesn't want Geno at all. I know people are going to bring up quotes saying he does and he likes Geno, but name me a time where Sakurai say he doesn't like a character. He has to be shown as none bias, so he's never going to say something like "I'm never putting in a Kirby character from a game I never directed." So words are pointless, his actions are what matter. Sakurai gave out that Mii Costume for Smash 4 as a way to acknowledge the Geno fans, but in Ultimate he got the rights to use Geno and instead of making him a Fighter he turn him into a Spirit instead. Didn't even consider it, Piranha Plant was decided over Geno. So if he had the rights the only person stopping him would've been Sakurai himself. Now with The Hero in the game shows that Sakurai doesn't want Geno in the game. In his mind Sakurai can call this game Super Smash Bros Ultimate without Geno's inclusion. This might sound negative, but Sakurai had opportunity to make Geno playable in the base game but chose not to.
Hmmmm...
I'm reading a wall of text like that on this website, I got better things to do while my life instead. Beside, anything that says "Geno is extremely like" here is considered a legitimate arguments.
L O N G M A N B A D

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
But people dont intend for them to be an argument or to be used as such just an opinion which they don't attempt to ignorantly pass off as fact. If someone agrees with the opinion then that's their opinion.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Not gonna lie, i’m really worried about who’s gonna be Fighter 76. Don’t care much about 75 because it’s almost certainly going to disappoint, but 76 feels like it has to be significant.

Like him or not, Joker turned heads. He was exciting in a good or bad way, depending on who you ask.

I just saw a leak that said Ryu Hayabusa would be 76, and while it’s obviously fake, thinking about that scenario kind of makes me a bit sick to my stomach. I want someone like Geno or Crash who will blow up the internet, 76 feels like such an important DLC spot for some reason.

No offense at all to Hayabusa fans, I just find he would be a really underwhelming start. I wouldn’t mind him as Fighter 5 or even later down the line, but that 76th spot has me really anxious right now.
I mean, if they're not going with another season format there is no reason to have to kick off "Wave 2" with some massive big blowout type character either. 76 doesn't magically mean all that much more than 75 or even what Joker did as 71. These characters just appeal to someone. Geno is no bigger of a start than Hayabusa in all honesty, they're just different characters for different folks. There's no reason to go all doom and gloom if 76 isn't exactly something you want or your perception of a "banger" or whatever have you. They didn't start the Fighter's Pass with Banjo & Kazooie after all. Several people thought Joker was an underwhelming start to the pass. Several people would think Geno to be an underwhelming start to the next season of content. Same for Crash. Same for Sora. Same for Master Chief. Etc. It's just a personal preference thing, and there are just as many people who would think any of the options to be extremely hype ones.

I don't understand the obsession with 76 having to be someone super special outside of specifically being some big reveal for like The Game Awards.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I mean, if they're not going with another season format there is no reason to have to kick off "Wave 2" with some massive big blowout type character either. 76 doesn't magically mean all that much more than 75 or even what Joker did as 71. These characters just appeal to someone. Geno is no bigger of a start than Hayabusa in all honesty, they're just different characters for different folks. There's no reason to go all doom and gloom if 76 isn't exactly something you want or your perception of a "banger" or whatever have you. They didn't start the Fighter's Pass with Banjo & Kazooie after all. Several people thought Joker was an underwhelming start to the pass. Several people would think Geno to be an underwhelming start to the next season of content. Same for Crash. Same for Sora. Same for Master Chief. Etc. It's just a personal preference thing, and there are just as many people who would think any of the options to be extremely hype ones.

I don't understand the obsession with 76 having to be someone super special outside of specifically being some big reveal for like The Game Awards.
I agree that what people would consider a big way to start the next season of DLC would be highly subjective no matter what, but I feel like it really would matter that they try to appeal to as many people as possible. Like Joker was kind of a shocking universal pick and he at least piqued interest in speculation for many even if he was underwhelming for some. If they don't continue to pique people's interest then people are going to stop caring about the game and it's DLC after the fighters pass and that should be a legitimate fear for Nintendo who clearly want to keep Ultimate's lifecycle running. I still like to play Ultimate when I get a chance, but all my friends have already moved on even the ones who finally got Banjo so it's hard for me to continue to be interested even when I love the game and enjoy speculation because it's just not really that fun to play by yourself. And I know for certain that many people will start experiencing similar scenarios the less that people care about DLC choices, so yes all additions will be viewed subjectively, but I would argue that post FP DLC has a lot more pressure on it to wow buyers.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I agree that what people would consider a big way to start the next season of DLC would be highly subjective no matter what, but I feel like it really would matter that they try to appeal to as many people as possible. Like Joker was kind of a shocking universal pick and he at least piqued interest in speculation for many even if he was underwhelming for some. If they don't continue to pique people's interest then people are going to stop caring about the game and it's DLC after the fighters pass and that should be a legitimate fear for Nintendo who clearly want to keep Ultimate's lifecycle running. I still like to play Ultimate when I get a chance, but all my friends have already moved on even the ones who finally got Banjo so it's hard for me to continue to be interested even when I love the game and enjoy speculation because it's just not really that fun to play by yourself. And I know for certain that many people will start experiencing similar scenarios the less that people care about DLC choices, so yes all additions will be viewed subjectively, but I would argue that post FP DLC has a lot more pressure on it to wow buyers.
I mean, a Sora or a Crash in Smash for example will still attract tons of attention regardless of when they show up. I understand the notions of continuing to push forward the overall momentum of Smash DLC, but you'll never be able to completely retain people from character to character. They'll come in waves depending on the choices made for the roster. I don't think it really has to have some massive "wow" factor out of the gate if characters are going to be sold individually given the fact they're meant to sell themselves at that point and not a more longterm investment like the Fighter's Pass. A just incredibly solid pick that may not "wow" people is still going to keep people talking and do good things for Smash.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Honestly I think we’re getting Terry soon, but if its just a presentation, fatman may be right about a larger smash direct around early december. I really dont think Terry would happen after this week because of sword and shield (and my god that game needs all the help nintendo can give it)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
People aren't saying Terry's not coming this week just because of the 7/11 ad, it's because nobody noteworthy has heard evidence yet for it being this week. Even I asked the NoA source about it yesterday and they basically responded with a very vague soon-ish. If it's a total surprise, I can already confirm that they've done a significantly better job of hiding it than literally any other presentation this year because I can also confirm that for almost all the presentations we (the Discord) knew by the end of the previous Saturday it was going to happen that week. Joker's presentation was the one exception and we learned about that literally hours before it happened.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
People aren't saying Terry's not coming this week just because of the 7/11 ad, it's because nobody noteworthy has heard evidence yet for it being this week. Even I asked the NoA source about it yesterday and they basically responded with a very vague soon-ish. If it's a total surprise, I can already confirm that they've done a significantly better job of hiding it than literally any other presentation this year because I can also confirm that for almost all the presentations we (the Discord) knew by the end of the previous Saturday it was going to happen that week. Joker's presentation was the one exception and we learned about that literally hours before it happened.
Honestly we may be having another Joker situation on our hands. I think nintendo’s catching on to some of the leaking by now, and the only other time Terry could come and not get drowned out is late november.
Edit: ive been using “honestly” too much lately

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Honestly I think we’re getting Terry soon, but if its just a presentation, fatman may be right about a larger smash direct around early december. I really dont think Terry would happen after this week because of sword and shield (and my god that game needs all the help nintendo can give it)
It's a Pokemon title that still has a lot of hype behind it. It doesn't actually need that much help and the forever whining part of the fandom isn't actually going to have the massive impact they keep thinking it will. And Terry/a Smash Bros reveal will do absolutely nothing to affect its status.

D

Deleted member

So I assume some insiders think the reason it's being kept such a secret is cause the presentation will have more than just Terry? That would be pretty nice if true.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
It's a Pokemon title that still has a lot of hype behind it. It doesn't actually need that much help and the forever whining part of the fandom isn't actually going to have the massive impact they keep thinking it will. And Terry/a Smash Bros reveal will do absolutely nothing to affect its status.
I think it does need help getting some of the core fanbase back, but they already have several million small children guaranteed to buy it (or should i say their parents). Its more of not getting Terry blocked out by Pokemon

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It's times like this I'm reminded of just how ****ing horrendous the online for this game is. I just lost half my gsp to a match with all items on high on mushroomy kingdom because my opponent got a pokeball and a hammer. Why the hell does no one play with decent rules? I just want a real match, but 2 hours in I have yet to get one. Bring back for glory.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
They might be keeping the Terry presentation under wraps because it may include the reveal of Challenger Pack 5 (which could be a big surprise). In that sense, it would seem like a repeat of Joker's reveal (only sooner).

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I think it does need help getting some of the core fanbase back, but they already have several million small children guaranteed to buy it (or should i say their parents). Its more of not getting Terry blocked out by Pokemon
If I've learned anything about the Pokemon fan base, it's this: Their words are famously hollow when it comes to putting their money where their mouth is and a little bit of good will towards them does a great to win them back over. I've also learned that Pokemon continues to be a multi-generational series that can generally replace it's older fans with newer ones, so it likely will not change until Nintendo/The Pokemon Company actually see their bottom line being seriously affected. They threw out an extremely basic Gen 1 remake spin-off and it still sold 11 million copies. So I don't see that happening any time soon.

They also had no issue overshadowing Terry with everything else in the September Direct, so I don't think Nintendo really cares. Hell, they buried Daemon X Machina in the hectic September schedule, kept pushing 3DS games despite the Switch's continued dominance, and they're releasing Animal Crossing New Horizons right alongside Final Fantasy VII Remake (part 1) without a fear in the world.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
*Ahem*

Gonna need ya to retract that description of 'forever whining part of the fandom' and replace it with 'forever objectively critical part of the fandom'.

Gonna need ya to do that stat.

Droodle

Smash Lord

I get your point. Fighter pass #75 will most likely be a more obscure pick, and that #76 would be a more well known character to promote the second season of DLC. However, I do not think that #76 will be Geno because Geno is obscure outside the smash fan base. He definitely wouldn't set the internet on fire.

IMO #76 would likely be a character with the popularity of Crash, Sora, Dante, Leon/Jill, etc. If Geno does get in, he feels closer to an E3 pick kind of like Banjo rather than the first extra DLC character.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So I assume some insiders think the reason it's being kept such a secret is cause the presentation will have more than just Terry? That would be pretty nice if true.
I don't know if I would go that far with it but Nintendo's "table setting" for a hypothetical Terry presentation is noted as unusual. Also keep in mind that Joker was released before VRplant became a part of "Team Sabi" so that's kind of another reason it snuck by everyone until like 2-3 hours before it dropped.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
Things are starting to get a lot more interesting.

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 10.52.11 PM.png

D

Deleted member

Oh well I'm excited whenever he comes. Looking forward to it regardless of what day it is!

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THAT?

Hmmmm...

L O N G M A N B A D
Yeah, all those examples you pulled up I never said "Sakurai hates Geno," just that he doesn't care enough to put him in the game. I'm sure there's plenty of characters that Sakurai & fans like but don't really care if they get added or not.

And yeah, I'm a prick for not read you full post (Not being sarcastic or joking on that part), I get the gist. However any point I make, or you make, or anyone make is just pure speculation and it can all turn out wrong. Maybe Geno is saved for next wave, or maybe we're getting that Mii Costume and that's the end of that. I'm more prepared to believe the latter is going to happen since there's always so many things feels like it goes in favor only for it to backfire.

Maybe there will be more fan requested answered, but I ain't holding my breath on that.

MattX20

Smash Hero
We'll find out for sure if Terry's releasing this week by Thursday at the latest if they're indeed trying to keep leakers guessing.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
*Ahem*

Gonna need ya to retract that description of 'forever whining part of the fandom' and replace it with 'forever objectively critical part of the fandom'.

Gonna need ya to do that stat.
No thanks. I've seen the Pokemon fandom collectively ***** and moan their way through 4 generations of Pokemon now. I've yet to see the sales drop in any meaningful way since then. Whether or not you like Sword/Shield is up to you, whether or not you think your criticisms are justified is up to you, but it doesn't really matter unless there's meaningful action behind the whining. There was always going to come a time when not all the Pokemon could conceivably be supported and Game Freak was always going to struggle going from the 3DS to the Switch. You can accept those realities without having to specifically attempt to torpedo the games' every chance you get.

Some criticisms are meaningful, others are absolutely whining. The fact that I've collectively had to listen to it so intensely for 5 months mean I care absolutely less than ever about the complaining. There's such a thing as finding positivity even in bad things, and so much of the Pokemon fan base seems dead set on calling these games "terrible" before they've actually played or seriously seen what Game Freak has attempted. And a bunch of the people complaining just hate what Pokemon has become anyway and are just going to keep going on about how much they hate it when they never even planned to buy it in the first place and are just looking for an excuse for some performance outrage. I don't have the sympathy left for it anymore, especially when it has become so toxic as to utterly deny people the chance to enjoy it or even praise parts of it.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I get your point. Fighter pass #75 will most likely be a more obscure pick, and that #76 would be a more well known character to promote the second season of DLC. However, I do not think that #76 will be Geno because Geno is obscure outside the smash fan base. He definitely wouldn't set the internet on fire.

IMO #76 would likely be a character with the popularity of Crash, Sora, Dante, Leon/Jill, etc. If Geno does get in, he feels closer to an E3 pick kind of like Banjo rather than the first extra DLC character.
I mean u kinda contradicted your own point. Banjo did kinda set the internet on fire despite being a smash bros pandering pick

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I mean u kinda contradicted your own point. Banjo did kinda set the internet on fire despite being a smash bros pandering pick
B-K set the internet on fire a hell of a lot more than I thought they would, and I say that as a biased B-K fan. I really didn't think they'd make everything explode so much, even to the point of DQ being briefly (keyword, briefly) overshadowed IN JAPAN by them. DQ got the overall appeal there (millions as opposed to B-K's like, what, 800k in Japan?), but B-K's reaction was so explosive that they even made Japan, where DQ is a freaking phenomenon of epic proportions, stop to salute them.

Like... that's huge, man. That's so huge.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I disagree, he didn't set it on fire as much as Joker did previously, or Cloud in Smash 4, or Megaman in Smash 4, or even the Sans Mii Costume.

He was definitely popular, but I wouldn't say he put the internet on fire.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
B-K set the internet on fire a hell of a lot more than I thought they would, and I say that as a biased B-K fan. I really didn't think they'd make everything explode so much, even to the point of DQ being briefly (keyword, briefly) overshadowed IN JAPAN by them. DQ got the overall appeal there (millions as opposed to B-K's like, what, 800k in Japan?), but B-K's reaction was so explosive that they even made Japan, where DQ is a freaking phenomenon of epic proportions, stop to salute them.

Like... that's huge, man. That's so huge.
If we get someone like Lloyd or Jill announced alongside Geno I think the same thing may happen, but to a lesser extent

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, if we exclude Joker since he was pretty much a character Sakurai wanted himself, all of the Fighter Pass characters can be argued to specifically appeal to one part of the world. For Japan, it was the Dragon Quest heroes easily with Banjo and Kazooie pretty much being HUGE for American audiences. Terry and SNK as a whole are very popular in Latin and South America. One of the reasons why I'm leaning more towards Layton as potentially our 5th fighter is because the series is huge in not just Japan, but Europe especially.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Well, if we exclude Joker since he was pretty much a character Sakurai wanted himself, all of the Fighter Pass characters can be argued to specifically appeal to one part of the world. For Japan, it was the Dragon Quest heroes easily with Banjo and Kazooie pretty much being HUGE for American audiences. Terry and SNK as a whole are very popular in Latin and South America. One of the reasons why I'm leaning more towards Layton as potentially our 5th fighter is because the series is huge in not just Japan, but Europe especially.
Crash would also be very big for Europe, but he’s pretty much ruled out atm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom