• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
[When taking into consideration the names we often hear insiders repeat during this particular cycle of smash speculation and given the series of strange coincidences surrounding the character, I personally believe that] Geno is in!

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Man, it feels weird to be back in a Geno thread after all these years. It feels like just yesterday it was E3 2013 and I was arguing why Mega Man's inclusion was helping the case for Geno.

It's less about "protecting feelings" and more "preventing entitlement". I think the important thing to recognize here, as much as I hate to say it, is that Geno is by no means a likely character. I don't say this as a "HA, you're never getting your character" kind of thing because, believe me, Geno's been my most wanted newcomer since I joined. It's more that it's far too easy for people to get emotionally invested in an echo chamber like message boards or social media that (in reality) only reflects a small proportion of the player base. The reason people say things like "hype responsibly" is because plenty of people get so invested in the characters, it's taken as a personal attack when someone criticizes them. I've seen it happen far too often.

It's not like it can't or won't happen, I'd be a moron to say Geno won't be added. Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo are more than enough proof against that. I do think he's the only "fan favorite" left that's truly missing, and I really hope he's added post-Pass, because I feel he doesn't NEED his own stage / spirit board like the Pass characters, and can easily be sold with a few SMRPG tracks, similar to how Corrin released on 3DS / Wii U.

The Grinch "Ruse" (which is such a weird name for it) was stupid, sure, but I don't think you can discredit people for believing it. People who were reaching for straws and saying things like "GameXplain and Source Gaming know the Grinch leak is real and are trying to cover it up because they want to keep ties w/ Nintendo" for sure were dumb kids. I'm not gonna act like I wasn't salty when Grinch leak was fake and instead of Geno, there was Plant, because I spent an embarrassing amount of time reflecting on that one, but don't act like someone telling you to temper your expectations and not get too emotionally invested in a game is this act of malice.
Gamexplain certainly didn't help matters. They would look at some of the most flimsy leaks around, even if just for a quick comment. Or somehow make a 45 minute discussion video on a 13 second trailer. So here comes this Grinch leak that didn't die out after the initial 48 hours that was too inconclusive for either side to make a definite call. Many of the usual commentators were discussing it and it was big news in the Smash fanbase.

Then you look for Gameexplain's inevitable breakdown and......nothing. There was nothing from them for days, which was odd. Finally, they did make a video....that was two minutes and deemed it fake. This was out of character for them. What made it worse was their reason: that the render of Banjo was ripped from somewhere else. Except the render could not be found. Even team Fake members were calling that argument weak. And then GX avoided the topic like the plague.

Not to excuse conspiracy theorists, but its not surprising that people thought something was up. Its known that GX has insider connections of some degree, they were strangely hesitant on the topic, they usually make videos immediately on news of any kind even if its fake (like how they claimed something Nintendo was showing up at Microsoft's event at E3 2019, and there was nothing in the end) and then tried to bury it with a weak conclusion. Many took their weird behavior that this leak was legit.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
This thread is such a rollercoaster man.

I came in here during my lunch to see what people thought about my theory and all I see is a bunch of wanna-be moderators trying to tell people how to feel like most of us haven't been on this for nearly 13 goddamn years or something and people GENUINELY thinking that Geno has less going for him than the Grinch Ruse that tricked a bunch of stupid people who now act to make us temper our Hope's because they didn't...even though we have MORE going for Geno than the Grinch Ruse ever had towards anything.

Oh, and then we got Ovaltine's lovely art. That's always welcome in my book! Rain check on the rest though, I'd rather be working because at least then I get paid for engaging in ridiculous conversations.
Well I liked your comment regarding your theory because I agree with you and simply didn't have anything to add or contest.

I also agree with some of these points except that we should not be calling people stupid. Many people fell for the Grinch hoax. I personally was not invested in speculation during that time so I missed all of it, but I do see the fallout from it still and I understand why people bought into it. It was clearly and elaborate and well-crafted hoax.

I wouldn't say we have had any actual evidence for Geno's inclusion at all at any point really. We may have more factors going for him now, but we still don't have evidence. The Mii costume leak is promising but it's certainly not evidence as it doesn't even actually acknowledge Geno at all. And just because insiders put his chances at 50% minimum isn't evidence either as it's either a 100% or 0% thing. These factors are promising, but could easily just as well yield no result and we have no substantial evidence that clearly points to Geno's inclusion beyond implications and conjecture.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Although the respect I had left for GameXplain was diminishing, the Grinch leak basically took a lot of it away.

They could’ve just been honest and said “we have inside sources that tell us it isn’t real.” And that would’ve been that. Nintendo Life did exactly this and got no blowback or hatred for it. If NL can do it, GameXplain could to.

Instead, they decided to say the leak was fake because “uhhhhhh itz blurry!!!1” even though a large portion of the leak’s credibility had nothing to do with the image at all.

I don’t really care if they were right or not in the end, because the way the covered it was ****ty and you can tell by the amount of dislikes in their original video.

You simply can’t make 30 minute discussions on the fakest of leaks and then brush off a leak that has seemingly more credibility than all of those past fake leaks combined.

Not to mention, Jon backed and heavily discussed the 5ch leak the January afterward. You know, the leak that had Steve instead of Banjo? Gee, nothing wrong here.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
You think Nintendo and Square will ever allow SMRPG to be added to NSO?

I definitely wouldn't mind reliving some childhood memories. That, and I need to refresh myself on our blue boy so I can be in full support mode again.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
As someone who almost exclusively posts here but also visits other threads I think the constant “hype responsively” stuff comes off as overly paternalistic and at times a bit condescending and patronizing as if we can’t handle our own emotions. It’s annoying because it’s something you don’t really see as often in other threads. Like the Erdrick and BK threads definitely didn’t have this much finger wagging anytime something positive came up and people were hyped about it. It’s also lame because it feels like it’s predominantly coming from people who outright say they don’t care if Geno gets in but spend all their time in the thread anyway because there’s a lot of discussion and leaks that pop up here. And so it comes off as “Oh these poor dumb Geno stans don’t know what they’re talking about... here let me help them :)))”
I tried posting something like that in the Banjo thread during the lead-up to E3, in case the leaks wound up being fake or referring to something else, but it probably got drowned out.

The bigger problem is when some people act as though the inclusion of any character that isn't Geno (particularly any Mario or Square-Enix character) is a personal attack, and a sign that Sakurai "doesn't care about what the fans want" just because he didn't include one specific third party character that Square-Enix likely wouldn't prioritize over their two headlining franchises.

It seems (to me, at least) that Geno's significantly more likely now between the inclusion of those franchises and there being more DLC characters beyond the Fighters Pass, but I'd rather not see people go on extended rants against Sakurai, Piranha Plant, various third party companies, etc. over a period of weeks or months just because Geno isn't the fifth Fighters Pass character.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight

I definitely wouldn't mind reliving some childhood memories. That, and I need to refresh myself on our blue boy so I can be in full support mode again.
I think that can happen. I haven't got the SNES Mini, so the only way I can play it is through the Wii channel on my Wii U. While it is still hooked up, I'd rather not use the Wii U for that. So I'm willing to start my file over again if it means having SMRPG on Switch.

Personally, I think Geno in Smash would be an excellent advertisement for the game on NSO, but I also think the game would do well enough even if he isn't in Smash. It's a great game. Oh, when they put SMRPG on NSO, they need and I mean NEED to simultaneously release Chrono Trigger! Holy crap, take my wallet!

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット

It was on Virtual Console so I don't see why not. I'm really waiting for that one and Earthbound, fingers crossed.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
As someone who almost exclusively posts here but also visits other threads I think the constant “hype responsively” stuff comes off as overly paternalistic and at times a bit condescending and patronizing as if we can’t handle our own emotions. It’s annoying because it’s something you don’t really see as often in other threads. Like the Erdrick and BK threads definitely didn’t have this much finger wagging anytime something positive came up and people were hyped about it. It’s also lame because it feels like it’s predominantly coming from people who outright say they don’t care if Geno gets in but spend all their time in the thread anyway because there’s a lot of discussion and leaks that pop up here. And so it comes off as “Oh these poor dumb Geno stans don’t know what they’re talking about... here let me help them :)))”
Preach. I definitely dislike hype police myself. People are responsable for their own actions and it's a total individual thing, no point in telling entire communities to hype responsibly lol, that's just being generalistic. All i rather encourage is to not take leaks/rumors from non legit sources as better chances for anything, and just be objectives without crossing the line towards pessimism.

D

Deleted member

I'm willing to start my file over again if it means having SMRPG on Switch.
It's the easiest RPG ever made, and there's no really unique decision making trees or anything, so there's basically no reason not to restart a file. I do it every now and again because I genuinely love the game - there's no part of it that feels slow, tedious or otherwise unenjoyable which is something I can't say about some of my other all time favorites.

The question of why they wouldn't is that Square would like money from the game's distribution, which I assume they were getting from the SNES mini, and they wouldn't be getting from Nintendo Switch Online Super Nintendo Entertainment System™. Man, wouldn't it just be the bee's knees for them to have been successfully hiding a remake of the game from us for this long, though...

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Yes, absolutely. If they're going to add any SNES games to NSO, they'll be bringing over some of the SNES' biggest releases, and Super Mario RPG is right up there with the DKC trilogy and Kirby Super Star. Besides, do you really think Square is gonna re-release this game themselves?

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I think that Tito specifically was just hoping no one is setting themselves up for the ultimate disappointment. And he's no doubt a Geno supporter. Nothing is wrong with someone wanting us to be weary so that we aren't crushed once more. There's also nothing wrong with being so ecstatic about possibilities that you treat them as absolutes. I've discussed Geno as though he's a lock for some time though. It's all or nothing baby. I'm well aware however, that I could be setting myself up for a major bummer. Think that's all Tito was getting at.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019

It's been on the Wii and Wii U virtual consoles as well as the SNES Mini so I'd be shocked otherwise

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Preach. I definitely dislike hype police myself. People are responsable for their own actions and it's a total individual thing, no point in telling entire communities to hype responsibly lol, that's just being generalistic. All i rather encourage is to not take leaks/rumors from non legit sources as better chances for anything, and just be objectives without crossing the line towards pessimism.
I think one potential reason why in general some try to push 'Hype Responsibly' is rhat they don't want their fanbase getting backlash when a few of the fanbase members go into jerk mode due to overhyping themselves.

While that has merit, in the end its moot. The Smashbase has shown that they don't need negative reasons to hate a character. Sometimes they don't even need A reason to hate a character. So we shouldn't worry about overhyping Geno to the point that detactors will hate him. They will always hate him.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I think that Tito specifically was just hoping no one is setting themselves up for the ultimate disappointment. And he's no doubt a Geno supporter. Nothing is wrong with someone wanting us to be weary so that we aren't crushed once more. There's also nothing wrong with being so ecstatic about possibilities that you treat them as absolutes. I've discussed Geno as though he's a lock for some time though. It's all or nothing baby. I'm well aware however, that I could be setting myself up for a major bummer. Think that's all Tito was getting at.
Yeah, basically.

I also don't want to see the more...passionate side of Geno's fan base lose their cool over the reveal of fighter #5, assuming that it doesn't end up being Geno anyway. The Banjo thread was super embarrassing to read through when Erdrick was announced before him.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Thinking back to the Grinch leak and how the characters that killed its credibility for me by being on there were Banjo & Kazooie.

lol

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I think one potential reason why in general some try to push 'Hype Responsibly' is rhat they don't want their fanbase getting backlash when a few of the fanbase members go into jerk mode due to overhyping themselves.

While that has merit, in the end its moot. The Smashbase has shown that they don't need negative reasons to hate a character. Sometimes they don't even need A reason to hate a character. So we shouldn't worry about overhyping Geno to the point that detactors will hate him. They will always hate him.
Nah, we should do our best to maintain a good image. Image is everything in the persuasion business and the way we look won't just affect how members of the community see us -- outsiders who might have otherwise joined our cause or gave SMRPG a chance would be alienated if we allowed idiots to run amok unchecked.

Don't forget Nintendo and other game companies watch these boards. Imagine how Sakurai or any other Nintendo higher-up would perceive us if they saw the overzealous amongst us hassling other people. That could negatively affect our cause in many unforseen ways.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, basically.

I also don't want to see the more...passionate side of Geno's fan base lose their cool over the reveal of fighter #5, assuming that it doesn't end up being Geno anyway. The Banjo thread was super embarrassing to read through when Erdrick was announced before him.
I think like 4 people in this thread (me included) believe that Geno is gonna be #5. Everyone else who may be predisposed to hyping irresponsibly is only going to totally lose it when the DLC is over and Geno still isn't here.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
GTA of any kind on Switch ever beyond maybe ports of the older games

lol funnie joek

Firox

Smash Master
The Banjo thread was super embarrassing to read through when Erdrick was announced before him.
lol Especially when there was only like 15 minutes between their reveals. "Oh my gosh, what the hell is this cra— oh, there he is."

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I tried posting something like that in the Banjo thread during the lead-up to E3, in case the leaks wound up being fake or referring to something else, but it probably got drowned out.

The bigger problem is when some people act as though the inclusion of any character that isn't Geno (particularly any Mario or Square-Enix character) is a personal attack, and a sign that Sakurai "doesn't care about what the fans want" just because he didn't include one specific third party character that Square-Enix likely wouldn't prioritize over their two headlining franchises.

It seems (to me, at least) that Geno's significantly more likely now between the inclusion of those franchises and there being more DLC characters beyond the Fighters Pass, but I'd rather not see people go on extended rants against Sakurai, Piranha Plant, various third party companies, etc. over a period of weeks or months just because Geno isn't the fifth Fighters Pass character.
To be fair I think there’s just one or two specific people that go on rants about individual characters and Sakurai not caring about fans in this specific thread. Some people may vocalize not really being into specific characters also but I don’t think that’s the same thing.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Concerning the latest 'leak' that headlines with "Got fired from Nintendo, so here's some secrets", it's such a funny thing to be forthright about, considering that all it does is give aspiring legal associates a perfect trail to hone in on.

"Oh, this guy leaked our for-real real presentation ahead of time? Who is he-- oh, apparently we fired him. Time to check payroll for clues and literally any information about the guy we had."

Silly stuff. Always such silly stuff. :ultduckhunt:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I don't think it's hype causing the problem but just the general immaturity of that vocal minority. There will always be some people who are going to ***** about this stuff no matter what so trying to stop it is ultimately a waste of time. imo As long as it doesn't leave the thread I don't have a problem with it. It's going to come out somewhere so it might as well be contained to where the public won't see it.

I wish I had the the level of conviction to join serenade and friends in believing Geno is finishing the pass but I sadly just can't see him any sooner than #6. That's close though so hopefully one day.

D

Deleted member

Concerning the latest 'leak' that headlines with "Got fired from Nintendo, so here's some secrets", it's such a funny thing to be forthright about, considering that all it does is give aspiring legal associates a perfect trail to hone in on.

"Oh, this guy leaked our for-real real presentation ahead of time? Who is he-- oh, apparently we fired him. Time to check payroll for clues and literally any information about the guy we had."

Silly stuff. Always such silly stuff. :ultduckhunt:
Yeah I'm not sure who buys into leaks that start with "just got fired" or anything to that effect. Like, "okay just lost my job, what's my first course of action. Oh, I know, let me spill some trade secrets onto an anonymous imageboard that if anyone finds out about and they're true the company that just fired me can sue me until I'm fired from society, too!"

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Too often the users in this thread are confused with whatever freaks are on gamefaqs ****posting. No one here (that I know of) has a history of causing trouble on other websites (i don’t even go anywhere else to talk about Geno myself) so it’s plain silly to talk about anyone in here damaging some Geno fan image that some people are worried about.

I PROMISE you that someone like myself or xpnc xpnc talking about Geno’s odds looking good in comparison to whoever else is being discussed in insider circles doesn’t reflect negatively whatsoever on the fanbase. It’s not entitlement. It’s not delusional. And we’re keeping it within the Geno thread on smash boards. This is just grown men being excited that their puppet might actually get into smash this time.

As stated again, I’m totally okay and understanding of the “let’s wait and see” attitude. But you don’t need to quote people reminding them to temper their expectations. I think we’re all capable enough that we know what is best for ourselves and what we want out of this thread

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Took a look at that text leak. So can someone refresh me on why Doomguy has gotten so much buzz over the past year? As far as I'm aware it's just been a string of fake leaks and theories and then a game dump a few months ago. I'd easily believe Geno is #5 before him honestly.

D

Deleted member

Took a look at that text leak. So can someone refresh me on why Doomguy has gotten so much buzz over the past year? As far as I'm aware it's just been a string of fake leaks and theories and then a game dump a few months ago. I'd easily believe Geno is #5 before him honestly.
"muh first person shooter rep", "muh doom on switch", "muh bethesda interview", "muh sakurai said nice things about john carmack". That's about it.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Doomguy discussion is almost entirely a result of fake leakers. He’s never been mentioned by anyone noteworthy and most people only think he is likely because they see other people talking about him on the internet. Sure, he COULD come. But there has never been any solid ground to stand on to think he is likely or in the works.

Characters that are primarily popular in the west have a massive uphill battle to get added to smash

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Bah! No more text "leaks!" Can we sign a petition to both ban and remove such things on this thread? I'll volunteer as a mod to delete such posts to stop the insanity ...

To answer the DoomGuy hype, it really boils down to the Bethesda interview, where they said essentially "Oh yeah, we talked to Nintendo about Smash." Instant hype about him. Not trying to be a downer or say anything against such fans, it seems to me such a comment is almost a confirmation of him NOT being in it since the company would have to sign a NDA ... look at the other companies that were very coy and batted down about Smash talk before the reveal of their character.

Last edited:

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I don't really ever buy into text leaks at large. However, I think they at least lend some sort of value in terms of "Well, it's very likely untrue, but, wouldn't it be cool if it were true? Let's talk about the possibilities."

If it just stresses people out in general, I can understand that. But, for me, I never really approach these types of leaks in this manner. It's just fun to discuss and imagine, honestly!

riggsbass

Smash Apprentice

I think it'll come out to coincide with Geno if he's revealed as a fighter. It's great marketing on a game that at this point virtually costs nothing to reproduce!

All of the Doom games being released on Switch + their devs saying they talked about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom