• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Jesus guys, why didn't anyone ever think about this in the last 1570 pages???

I'll continue both hoping for and expecting the best thank you
You're welcome!

I'm glad that I could enlighten you. :079:

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Guys! I had the craziest dream about Geno right before I got up!

So it all started out with a trailer of Mario beating up this dragon and then after a while he puts on a pink bandanna and wears it around like a Ninja for some reason and then he kills the dragon with a Sheik dash attack with an explosion. We see a figure jump out from the smoke and I saw Toadette with the splash screen and I was like "What? That doesn't make any sense!" but strangely enough she wasn't even part of the Fighters Pass nor announced as a character for additional DLC!

Then the next trailer starts up and I see this parade going on in live action with the Smash cast running along in their in-game models (It's like they don't even fit in and they just layered it over with blue or green screen) and they wear those weird summer clothes from that Japanese New 3DS commercial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVD9EsJgUTE). then the camera pans to this dude who was smiling but it quickly fades as he realises there is someone missing. The scene then transitions to him by his car with his car bonnet open, trying to get his stuff out and then a figure in the far back of the boot appears that looks like Geno, he gets surprised as he turns around but it turns out to be a Labrador dog with a PNG image of Geno's hat and eyes that look like they were done poorly in Flash, the eyes shift from left to right. The guy slaps the stuff off of the dog as it then jumps out of the vehicle. Next this guy and his dog walk through the park but then everyone in this park starts running over to a lone tree like something amazing is happening. They all surround the tree and see this leather book nailed to the tree as the video fades out. The screen then transitions to the fighters pass line up and the fifth slot opens up to reveal Geno with his face covered up by Majora's mask and the name given to him is "Storytelling bad guy" for whatever reason! Then the presentation ends, no splash screen and gameplay was shown.

It was a pretty daft dream but I thought I'd share it with you guys because it was weird and relevant to Geno.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Could we knock it off with the 4chan posts? Seriously, unless it's a very convincing image leak there's no reason to be linking to it. It is all poorly thought out BS.

Not sure how we can have conversations about Geno related images being some form of censor dodging and yet someone links to /v/ of all places and never catches hell about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

It's great to feel optimistic about Geno making it in, but he's by no means a lock. Overhyping his chances will lead to another heartbreak like Isaac or Rex. That being said, I do think he's in a pretty good place atm with his Mii costume still being absent.

I'll continue to hope for the best, but expect the worst.
I gotta firmly agree here. QQS QQS to me it feels like we have even less evidence here for Geno than we did for the Grinch leak a whole year ago.

Like the man said, it’s fine to be optimistic, but EXPECTING a Geno reveal in a few weeks time could lead to big disappointment again

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
It's better than baseless text posts. At least we can sit here and slave over every pixel of an image and try to figure out what happened.
That's true. If people are going to fake it, they might as well be forced to work for that attention.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

It's great to feel optimistic about Geno making it in, but he's by no means a lock. Overhyping his chances will lead to another heartbreak like Isaac or Rex. That being said, I do think he's in a pretty good place atm with his Mii costume still being absent.

I'll continue to hope for the best, but expect the worst.
This attitude needs to stop. Just because you need to temper your own expectations to protect your feelings doesn’t mean we all need to. I’ve been going all out for Geno for most of my life and whenever he is deconfirmed I am bummed out for 20 minutes and then right back at it so I’m pretty fed up with people telling me how to look forward to a video game. I come here for fun and I want to be optimistic. It’s fine if others don’t have this outlook but don’t push your doom and gloom mindset on me.

This honestly isn’t even directed just at you at all, but moreso the negative nancys in this thread who jump at the chance to scream “hype responsibly” into the sky. I have more than enough maturity and self control that I’m not going to spiral into chaos because I looked forward to video game DLC “too much”

Last edited:

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
<
This attitude needs to stop. Just because you need to temper your own expectations to protect your feelings doesn’t mean we all need to. I’ve been going all out for Geno for most of my life and whenever he is deconfirmed I am bummed out for 20 minutes and then right back at it so I’m pretty fed up with people telling me how to look forward to a video game. I come here for fun and I want to be optimistic. It’s fine if others don’t have this outlook but don’t push your doom and gloom mindset on me.

This honestly isn’t even directed just at you at all, but moreso the negative nancys in this thread who jump at the chance to scream “hype responsibly” into the sky. I have more than enough maturity and self control that I’m not going to spiral out of control because I looked forward to video game DLC “too much”
No, this attitude needs to stop. Stop treating people that don't immediately jump into the hype train as pariahs. Time and time again when people get overhyped and it crashes out they begin lashing to other members of this thread and to outsiders. Maybe not you, as you say, but this thread has been visited by mods before because of that. We're not being "doom and gloom", we're being realistic.

D

Deleted member

We're not being "doom and gloom", we're being realistic.
It's equally realistic to be be full throttle "he's getting in" as it is to be on the fence, or even firmly "he isn't getting in". It's up to every individual in this thread to temper their own expectations and to react to their expectations not being met with dignity and respect for themselves and others. Telling other people what to do is just high-horsery and no one is a fan of that.

Last edited by a moderator:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
<
No, this attitude needs to stop. Stop treating people that don't immediately jump into the hype train as pariahs. Time and time again when people get overhyped and it crashes out they begin lashing to other members of this thread and to outsiders. Maybe not you, as you say, but this thread has been visited by mods before because of that. We're not being "doom and gloom", we're being realistic.
Again, I don’t give a **** what you do. I truly couldn’t care less. You just proved my point that you are incapable of letting me hype however I want. “Realistic” is subjective and you are free to express support however you want.

But leave me be to express my own support. The only time I get annoyed at your mindset is when I am told that I need to have the same one, which is pretty often

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
So I have a new suggestion.

Let's all take a chill pill and not become angry at something so minor. I don't want this place to become heated.

How do I download this? Must have
I would just follow Sean for now. When he releases it, he may have additional information on how to.

Last edited:

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
I gotta firmly agree here. QQS QQS to me it feels like we have even less evidence here for Geno than we did for the Grinch leak a whole year ago.

Like the man said, it’s fine to be optimistic, but EXPECTING a Geno reveal in a few weeks time could lead to big disappointment again

I would not say we have less evidence then last time but ya we should not get overconfident.

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
I would not say we have less evidence then last time but ya we should not get overconfident.
Agree, last time we had a huge piece that turned out to be fake, this time we have several smaller ones that might amount to something huge.

D

Deleted member

Guess we have to define "evidence". In the Grinch leak's favor? We had coincidences. Against it, we had almost every insider telling us it was fake and we just ignored it, largely because in the opinion of many "team real" people, the insiders were being smug and deserved comeuppance. A classic case of being blinded by contempt for the other guys.

Compare that to where Geno is, and we're honestly in a better spot than the Grinch leak ever was. No insider is able to or will tell us that the costumes are outright lies, we know that insider sources talk about Geno with confidence, and no one has outright said no to him, which is unfortunately the shape of speculation right now. To beat my own dead horse, if Geno's not being seriously considered/is a costume and no one has had the decency to shoot us all down, they're being malicious.

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
As a hopeful for Geno since before the Brawl Days, it's nice to see his chances so high.

After over a decade of heartache and disappointment, I've learned to temper my expectations.
But damn I'm still hella excited and hella hopeful.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
How I feel is this:

I'm always excited about Geno anyway because of fan content and making lore for him, so I guess I can't stop my hype gravy train, even if it isn't related to Smash. :drshrug: That being said, my expectations are thoroughly tempered. Shadow taught me a lesson for sure lol.

D

Deleted member

Always have my expectations tempered, but still hopeful and optimistic for Geno! I haven't supported him for as long as the majority of people in this thread, but still, here's to him getting in!

D

Deleted member

As a hopeful for Geno since before the Brawl Days, it's nice to see his chances so high.

After over a decade of heartache and disappointment, I've learned to temper my expectations.
But damn I'm still hella excited and hella hopeful.
I'm in the same boat. I've been hurt so much, there's nothing left to hurt. They could put the costume in today and I'd just say "ok, again". Maybe it'd make it through my thick head that everyone hates Geno, finally.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
If Geno doesn't make it into Ultimate, we should try and put him in anywhere else we can - similar to that Geno costume mod for Super Mario Odyssey. It's great to see stuff like this while we're in waiting and if we have to wait longer it'd be great to find more stuff like it (not to mention fan artwork and any other ideas).

D

Deleted member

If Geno doesn't make it into Ultimate, we should try and put him in anywhere else we can - similar to that Geno costume mod for Super Mario Odyssey. It's great to see stuff like this while we're in waiting and if we have to wait longer it'd be great to find more stuff like it (not to mention fan artwork and any other ideas).
"Oh, Nintendo, you think you're being cute not putting Geno in Smash? Well, how about these apples? Mario Kart 9? More like GENO Kart 9. Breath of the Wild 2? How about... BREATH OF THE GENO 2."

Surely they'll eventually put Geno in Smash if we keep modding every game to star a homemade action figure.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Honestly I hope we get the level of modding in ultimate as we did with project M. That probably wont happen for several years though

D

Deleted member

Honestly I hope we get the level of modding in ultimate as we did with project M. That probably wont happen for several years though
I don't think we will due to a lack of incentive. Ultimate doesn't suck like Brawl did, there's the looming specter of Nintendo issuing a C&D against your fan project, and it'll never be allowed on the holy grounds of the Church of eSports, again, thanks to Nintendo.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
This thread is such a rollercoaster man.

I came in here during my lunch to see what people thought about my theory and all I see is a bunch of wanna-be moderators trying to tell people how to feel like most of us haven't been on this for nearly 13 goddamn years or something and people GENUINELY thinking that Geno has less going for him than the Grinch Ruse that tricked a bunch of stupid people who now act to make us temper our Hope's because they didn't...even though we have MORE going for Geno than the Grinch Ruse ever had towards anything.

Oh, and then we got Ovaltine's lovely art. That's always welcome in my book! Rain check on the rest though, I'd rather be working because at least then I get paid for engaging in ridiculous conversations.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
as someone who was tricked by the Grinch ruse, I represent this remark.
To be fair, it's easy to be tricked when the illusion is exactly what you WANT to see. Regardless, it doesn't do any good to dwell on the past. Let's look to the future with a solid hope in our star boi.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, it's easy to be tricked when the illusion is exactly what you WANT to see. Regardless, it doesn't do any good to dwell on the past. Let's look to the future with a solid hope in our star boi.
It was an extremely well done fake with a lot of effort put into it that also happened to line up with a lot of coincidences around the time. The guy who made it was so impossibly lucky. I don't dwell on it at all, I was thoroughly fooled and in my book the guy who made it is a legend at his craft. From my viewpoint, it's impossible to be mad - sure, we haven't gotten all of the characters in it, but man did it make for an exciting buildup to the November 1 direct. There's nowhere near that level of intricate discussion right now, nor has there been for the entire fighters' pass, in my opinion.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
It's pretty astounding how many things lined up for that particular leak. Honestly, it was because of that leak that I decided to register with the forum to partake in the discussion at that time. I believe it was yesterday or so that I was notified I had been registered for a full year! Wild that we were talking about the leak extensively around this time 365 days ago. :ultduckhunt:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Man, it feels weird to be back in a Geno thread after all these years. It feels like just yesterday it was E3 2013 and I was arguing why Mega Man's inclusion was helping the case for Geno.

This honestly isn’t even directed just at you at all, but moreso the negative nancys in this thread who jump at the chance to scream “hype responsibly” into the sky. I have more than enough maturity and self control that I’m not going to spiral into chaos because I looked forward to video game DLC “too much”

It's less about "protecting feelings" and more "preventing entitlement". I think the important thing to recognize here, as much as I hate to say it, is that Geno is by no means a likely character. I don't say this as a "HA, you're never getting your character" kind of thing because, believe me, Geno's been my most wanted newcomer since I joined. It's more that it's far too easy for people to get emotionally invested in an echo chamber like message boards or social media that (in reality) only reflects a small proportion of the player base. The reason people say things like "hype responsibly" is because plenty of people get so invested in the characters, it's taken as a personal attack when someone criticizes them. I've seen it happen far too often.

It's not like it can't or won't happen, I'd be a moron to say Geno won't be added. Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo are more than enough proof against that. I do think he's the only "fan favorite" left that's truly missing, and I really hope he's added post-Pass, because I feel he doesn't NEED his own stage / spirit board like the Pass characters, and can easily be sold with a few SMRPG tracks, similar to how Corrin released on 3DS / Wii U.

This thread is such a rollercoaster man.

I came in here during my lunch to see what people thought about my theory and all I see is a bunch of wanna-be moderators trying to tell people how to feel like most of us haven't been on this for nearly 13 goddamn years or something and people GENUINELY thinking that Geno has less going for him than the Grinch Ruse that tricked a bunch of stupid people who now act to make us temper our Hope's because they didn't...even though we have MORE going for Geno than the Grinch Ruse ever had towards anything.
The Grinch "Ruse" (which is such a weird name for it) was stupid, sure, but I don't think you can discredit people for believing it. People who were reaching for straws and saying things like "GameXplain and Source Gaming know the Grinch leak is real and are trying to cover it up because they want to keep ties w/ Nintendo" for sure were dumb kids. I'm not gonna act like I wasn't salty when Grinch leak was fake and instead of Geno, there was Plant, because I spent an embarrassing amount of time reflecting on that one, but don't act like someone telling you to temper your expectations and not get too emotionally invested in a game is this act of malice.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know that we've discussed it quite a bit, and the odds are pretty high, considering the spirit, that it'll end up this way, but am I alone in really hoping that Geno won't have the Mushroom icon like the rest of the Mario characters? I really dislike it, and I hate the Mario victory theme. Having Geno lumped in with the rest of the Mario characters is pretty much his only flaw, in my eyes.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
As someone who almost exclusively posts here but also visits other threads I think the constant “hype responsively” stuff comes off as overly paternalistic and at times a bit condescending and patronizing as if we can’t handle our own emotions. It’s annoying because it’s something you don’t really see as often in other threads. Like the Erdrick and BK threads definitely didn’t have this much finger wagging anytime something positive came up and people were hyped about it. It’s also lame because it feels like it’s predominantly coming from people who outright say they don’t care if Geno gets in but spend all their time in the thread anyway because there’s a lot of discussion and leaks that pop up here. And so it comes off as “Oh these poor dumb Geno stans don’t know what they’re talking about... here let me help them :)))”

Last edited:

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
I know that we've discussed it quite a bit, and the odds are pretty high, considering the spirit, that it'll end up this way, but am I alone in really hoping that Geno won't have the Mushroom icon like the rest of the Mario characters? I really dislike it, and I hate the Mario victory theme. Having Geno lumped in with the rest of the Mario characters is pretty much his only flaw, in my eyes.
I mean they could give him his own victory theme. Kinda like what they did with k rool and meta knight.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I think he’ll probably end up using the mushroom, but im sure he’d use the victory fanfare from SMRPG. The Bowsers and Pirahna have a unique so I think Geno will as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom