• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Man, it seems a LOT happened the past few days. But it seems the takeaway is that Geno is getting more likely by the day. That's kind of crazy to think about.

I really can't wait for the next reveals, whenever they are.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Oh my golly, look at this steaming hot pile of leak I found! It says that we're going to get... Rayman as FP#5?! :ultpacman:

Seriously though, I'd be happy if Rayman was FP#5 with Geno announced as post fp dlc.

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
Oh my golly, look at this steaming hot pile of leak I found! It says that we're going to get... Rayman as FP#5?! :ultpacman:

Seriously though, I'd be happy if Rayman was FP#5 with Geno announced as post fp dlc.
Rayman deserves to be in, UbISOfT was faithful in the Wii U dark ages.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
One trend we've had recently involves characters that target specific regions/markets worldwide: Hero (Japan), Banjo (USA & UK), Terry (China & South America). Joker is the outlier here, but he does represent an acclaimed series with worldwide appeal. The fighters pass could conclude with another globally popular character. However, a couple markets that haven't really been addressed so far are South Korea and Singapore.

Both regions hold thriving gaming scenes. For South Korea, though, Starcraft is often referred to as a national sport. The RTS genre also is a precursor to the e-sports craze that we're in today. League of Legends originated as a custom game for Warcraft 3 (DOTA), for example. In my quick googling, it sounds like MoBAs are still really popular in both South Korea and Singapore. In the same way that Doom Slayer or Master Chief might outweigh a Fortnite or Overwatch character, I'm wondering if Sarah Kerrigan might be an RTS or "e-sports" rep, specifically targeting South Korea.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Rayman deserves to be in, UbISOfT was faithful in the Wii U dark ages.
I honestly agree but because Rayman was done dirty in Smash 4. Rayman, Globox, and Betillda were all cast as ugly trophies and that was it. How is Ubisoft still the only fairly large company in Smash without any fighter representation at all?!

owjies owjies , what would those games have to offer to Smash?

Geniuene question.

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I honestly agree but because Rayman was done dirty in Smash 4. Rayman, Globox, and Betillda were all cast as ugly trophies and that was it. How is Ubisoft still the only fairly large company in Smash without any fighter representation at all?!

owjies owjies , what would those games have to offer to Smash?

Geniuene question.
Part gaming history, part region/market outreach. "Zerg Rush!" is one of those gaming lexicon things where you don't even have to be a fan of Starcraft in order to have a vague sense of what it means and where it comes from. I don't really see a League or Dota character ever making it into Smash in the same way that I don't really see a Fortnite character making it. That said, just like Doom is the granddaddy of the FPS genre, Starcraft is very much a part of gaming history. It's one representation of how the medium developed beyond entertainment and into a sport. Even though Western reps are still struggling to break through, I think that Starcraft, like Doom or Halo, is one that could.

Starcraft being a sport in Korea is pretty wild when you think about it, and South Korea is a huge market. Beyond Sakurai's own personal connection to KoF, when I read that SNK was popular in China, Terry's inclusion suddenly made a lot of sense from Nintendo's perspective. I looked up popular gaming in South Korea and was reminded, "Oh right, they're nuts about Starcraft!" Not that I think she's super likely, but considering how surprising Terry was, I think Kerrigan could be a character that's slept on.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I don't think Geno is Fighter 5, but I feel like due to the Mii Costume leak, Geno is basically a shoe-in.
If Ultimate DLC ends without Geno, I will eat my hat.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Part gaming history, part region/market outreach. "Zerg Rush!" is one of those gaming lexicon things where you don't even have to be a fan of Starcraft in order to have a vague sense of what it means and where it comes from. I don't really see a League or Dota character ever making it into Smash in the same way that I don't really see a Fortnite character making it. That said, just like Doom is the granddaddy of the FPS genre, Starcraft is very much a part of gaming history. It's one representation of how the medium developed beyond entertainment and into a sport. Even though Western reps are still struggling to break through, I think that Starcraft, like Doom or Halo, is one that could.

Starcraft being a sport in Korea is pretty wild when you think about it, and South Korea is a huge market. Beyond Sakurai's own personal connection to KoF, when I read that SNK was popular in China, Terry's inclusion suddenly made a lot of sense from Nintendo's perspective. I looked up popular gaming in South Korea and was reminded, "Oh right, they're nuts about Starcraft!" Not that I think she's super likely, but considering how surprising Terry was, I think Kerrigan could be a character that's slept on.
A Hydralisk would be a very interesting and unique choice, to be honest.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I'll admit that I completely misread that. But I'm very conflicted, now. On one hand... I want Geno. On the other... he'd eat an entire hat.
Eating a hat is one thing but eating a cat? That s a whole different ball game with more at stake. But eating a cat in a hat?! Now that’s just plain crazy.

Geno for Smash

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
For now, Sabi said that Crash and Ryu Hayabusa isn't going to be the final fighter in the Fighter Pass

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I never said I'd eat the WHOLE hat.
But we won't have to worry. Geno's in. Easily a 90% chance. Too many things point to him.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
I never said I'd eat the WHOLE hat.
But we won't have to worry. Geno's in. Easily a 90% chance. Too many things point to him.
Oh.... I remembered making the promise about drinking beer and taking a picture, I also remembered Ovaltine Ovaltine saying something about eating a luigi's cap.
Either way having Geno confirmed would make this thread going happily and extremely nuts, I really want to see that soon

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
There was a little talk earlier about who should voice Geno, it what style he should speak. After considering this for years, I actually think Johnathan Bailey, who recently voiced the Crystal Exarch in Final Fantasy XIV, would make a good Geno:

That tone, but perhaps a bit faster pace.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Waaaait, found the better example of the Crystal Exarch in regards to Smash:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
For fighter number 5 I predict it would most likely be either Doom Slayer or Travis and if sakurai wants to do standard sakurai then a sony rep may seem likely. It's probably the largest hat trick they could pull bearing in mind the likes of Master Chief may already seem at least somewhat likely due to the blossoming relationship between them and Nintendo but I think Geno is likely post pass once hero eye his time in the sun

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
4chan leaks don't have any amount of stocks in them lol! That place is full of trolls on the Smash side of things.
We've already seen some popular rumors that originated from 4chan that sparked a lot of discussion, such as the rumor of the 4th fighters pass character being female (which turned out to be false, as it turned out that Terry is the 4th fighters pass character), the Adeleine rumor (which is just a wishlist that got lucky early), the rumor involving the last two fighters pass characters being Edelgard and Sylux (again, debunked), etc. Not to mention there are stolen and doctored images there that make their leaks seem believable until something debunks them. I've already seen plenty of leaks on 4chan involving Geno that attract a lot of attention. In fact I've seen a bunch of off-the-wall leaks on 4chan. All, in all, I don't take 4chan leaks seriously even though they can be rarely right. It is a troll's nest after all.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
There was also the Erdrick-Steve-Doomguy-Hayabusa leak that kickstarted the dlc speculation and is probably why the last two are so heavily considered

D

Deleted member

Maybe it was just wild speculation and I missed the (not so) subtlety, but if all the "frontrunners" aren't gonna be DLC5, wouldn't that also exclude Doom Guy? IMO DLC5 frontrunners (i.e. what everyone thought they'd be) are Doom, Hayabusa, Lloyd and Crash.

EDIT: I just watched Papagenos' new video on "frontrunners" and I guess this is an incorrect assumption. Lmao.

Also, maybe it's because I want to notice it now, but it really feels like there's more Super Mario RPG/Geno awareness all of a sudden than there was this time last year. Not just people being like "Geno for Smash", but YouTube videos and discussion on Twitter and all sorts of stuff. It just seems like there's this burst of SMRPG love. Either we as Geno fans are putting ideas into people's head, or some of that magic collective conscience stuff is going on.

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Who said that? I never heard of this leak back in the day.

Edit: Damn you auto-correct!
I remember. It was back at the tail end of July I think, I was made aware of it by PapaGeno. There was this post on 4chan that claimed, among other things, that King K. Rool was an Assist Trophy. Their post said that Mr. Game & Watch was to be showcased on the official website, which would prove it true. It didn't come to pass, of course. The post that day was the Fake Smash Ball so yeah, it was fake, but it scared a lot of people for the day or so it existed.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Also, maybe it's because I want to notice it now, but it really feels like there's more Super Mario RPG/Geno awareness all of a sudden than there was this time last year. Not just people being like "Geno for Smash", but YouTube videos and discussion on Twitter and all sorts of stuff. It just seems like there's this burst of SMRPG love. Either we as Geno fans are putting ideas into people's head, or some of that magic collective conscience stuff is going on.
I've listed in chronological order key pieces of information that I find to be of utmost interest in regards to Geno.

May 13, 2018 - Day of the Mysterious tweet.
November 1, 2018 - During the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct, a player icon with an image of Geno is seen within the preview of the Battle Arena mode.
December 7, 2018 - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is released worldwide, and from there players who played World of Light eventually came upon the Legendary Rank Attack Type Primary Spirit, Geno (using the same image as the player icon shown in the November 1st Smash-focused Direct). In addition, players who acquired all Mii Costumes would come to notice that the Geno Mii costume was missing.
July 12, 2019 - A fellow Geno Bro reports on two Super Mario RPG tracks being struck down by Nintendo at around May 15, 2019. A day later, PapaGenos uploads a video reporting on this finding.
July 30, 2019 - Nintendo uploads the Hero presentation video made by Masahiro Sakurai. Upon the reveal of the Mii costumes being released alongside Hero, Geno's Mii costume is still missing, as well as the Chocobo Hat. Mii costumes only centered within the Dragon Quest franchise.
September 4, 2019 - During the Nintendo Direct presentation, when the Super Nintendo NSO Library was announced, among the 20 titles, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars was missing, despite being one of the SNES most memorable titles.
October 19, 2019 - PapaGenos uploads a video discussing a "leak" that claimed Crash Bandicoot would be the 5th DLC Fighter, and within said video, a list of Mii costumes was shown. The list contained Mii Costumes that were in fact released alongside Banjo & Kazooie, with the exception of three, these being a supposed Mallow, and/or Smithy costume, and the Chocobo Hat. The list is dated July 19, 2019.

D

Deleted member

I've listed in chronological order key pieces of information that I find to be of utmost interest in regards to Geno.

November 1, 2018 - During the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct, a player icon with an image of Geno is seen within the preview of the Battle Arena mode.
December 7, 2018 - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is released worldwide, and from there players who played World of Light eventually came upon the Legendary Rank Attack Type Primary Spirit, Geno (using the same image as the player icon shown in the November 1st Smash-focused Direct). In addition, players who acquired all Mii Costumes would come to notice that the Geno Mii costume was missing.
July 12, 2019 - A fellow Geno Bro reports on two Super Mario RPG tracks being struck down by Nintendo at around May 15, 2019. A day later, PapaGenos uploads a video reporting on this finding.
July 30, 2019 - Nintendo uploads the Hero presentation video made by Masahiro Sakurai. Upon the reveal of the Mii costumes being released alongside Hero, Geno's Mii costume is still missing, as well as the Chocobo Hat. Mii costumes only centered within the Dragon Quest franchise.
September 4, 2019 - During the Nintendo Direct presentation, when the Super Nintendo NSO Library was announced, among the 20 titles, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars was missing, despite being one of the SNES most memorable titles.
October 19, 2019 - PapaGenos uploads a video discussing a "leak" that claimed Crash Bandicoot would be the 5th DLC Fighter, and within said video, a list of Mii costumes was shown. The list contained Mii Costumes that were in fact released alongside Banjo & Kazooie, with the exception of three, these being a supposed Mallow, and/or Smithy costume, and the Chocobo Hat. The list is dated July 19, 2019.
This is super helpful for people who are still wondering what all these coincidences and happenings we keep referring to mean. I feel like from the kind of stuff I've read, there's more than this, like a VGA quiz show answer or something? Not sure about the details on that. It's funny how there's so many "hints" and coincidences, it's easy to forget how many there are.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Its difficult of holding those information for speculation on record since some are not wanting to dig through a big pile.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman

This is a pretty good list. Though I'd also throw in the fact that all the way back in January, Sabi had shared a rumor for Geno being DLC

Firox

Smash Master
Man, speculation sure has picked up as of late. I wonder what would happen if Sakurai ever embraced his inner troll and started posting totally random pictures on his twitter. No matter how utterly obscure it was, people would go nuts. He could post a picture of a swirly dog turd, then sit back with a margarita and laugh while people bend over three ways backward trying to connect it to something.

"Judging by the size and consistency of the poo, it's gotta be from a bandicoot. Crash is in!"
"No, you weeb, the poo is something we DON'T want to see. It makes us want to wear a blind fold. 2B is in!"
"Can't you guys see it?! There's an imprint on the side of the turd....it looks like Bandana Dee!"
"Only one character would drop timber like that: It's obviously Waluigi."
"Guys....it's just a piece of crap.......which means that it can only be a substitution jutsu! Ryu is in!"
"You peoples are STILL with the spamming!? NO more Tekken!"

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I have been noticing, too, that the support for Geno, content creation, and SMRPG love in general has been growing quite visibly. I'm seeing more people replaying SMRPG and coming out of the woodwork, remembering why they loved Geno so much. Not only is that great to see people rekindling their love for our star boy, but it also blows the whole, "NONE OF GENO'S FANS PLAYED SMRPG!" stereotype right out of the water. :4pacman:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom