• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
So yeah k rool geno and Ridley were the never ever trio because of their inherent qualities but as far as grouping a pantheon of consistent fan pics through the years if k rool get a pass from his meager brawl performance than so should Isaac, who I believe actually had a better one. Characters like krystal, paper Mario, ashley, and shovel knight have all had massive spikes at varing levels but never managed to hang stay in the conversation during their wanes and still many never reached the 5's popularity anyway. It's all just subjective musings anyway so I don't see the problem. The only other characters I would say could have a real claim to entry would probably be BWD, waluigi, and maybe shantae, they may have started later than the current members but they've managed to keep getting seen even now when people have largely written of their chances

Also serenade gives me a good opportunity to talk about doom guy and all the characters like him. So in my eyes there are only two remaining soft rules still unbroken and thus in effect. No assists promoted in the same game, and no who's to eastern players. One thing I've noticed and especially during ultimate as that whenever we can clearly see picks made for either the western or eastern audiance the eastern ones very often are relative nobodies in the West like hero, but the western ones are always still somewhat popular or are at least high up enough to be recognized. K rool and banjo fit into the former as k rool did almost as well over there and banjo also had a supportbase albeit a smaller one. Ridley while almost exclusively a western movement is the arch rival in a long running 1st party franchise with smash cameos in every game since melee. Even though they didn't ask for him any Nintendo fan at least knows what metroid is and by extension likely knows ridely, not even considering all his previous smash roles. A character like doomguy, scorpion, rayman, spyro, that are also western pics simply don't have this kind of reconizability over there because the games just never sold, heck MK is banned last I heard because of the gore which is something that would make sense of why doom is non-existent. Obviously he would be toned down in smash but it doesn't fix it having turned off the populace from his games and lacks the reconizability to overcome that lack of demand. This is why I think crash will get in over rayman or spyro because he did mange to make a decent showing and has that presence to make him a viable pick. Now there obviously not beholden to anything these are just my observations but until it changes I just don't believe doomguy can make it.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Those are both wrong.

We'll get Todd Howard himself as DLC.

All of his spirits and costumes are Skyrim-based, obviously.
Can’t believe y’all sleeping on Vault Boy smh

nah, it’s obviously gonna be Skyrim itself. As in, the WHOLE GAME.

The minute you select Skyrim the game will change to the opening cart sequence where the guy will say “You’re finally awake...”

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
That kind of stuff is too solid a confirmation, to me. It's the kind of things you say to get people talking about your game which is coming to a Nintendo console, rather than the kind of things you're allowed to say when your character is slated to be added to the most high profile crossover ever created. And yes, my implication here is that Bethesda is using Smash to market their game without ever actually bothering to put their character in the game.
Eh, that's a bit too tinfoil-y of an assumption for my tastes. Sometimes things really are that simple. They met with Nintendo about Smash. He didn't say specifically what character they met about. Also Bethesda is a huge and massively profitable company. It's not like they're desperate for attention.

I honestly see the Dragonborn from Skyrim as more likely Bethesda rep then Doomguy.
I don't really see why. The Dragonborn is the protagonist of one game vs the Doomslayer has been the consistent protagonist of the series. Bethesda has Doom Eternal coming out soon and the next TES title is many years away.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Best idea ever SSGuy (Bowyer canceling commands). It would be so much epic and well translated Bowyer’s essence to the battle. No A, no Specials or no Jump.
View attachment 241288
Quite frankly, I think a stage mechanic like that would be awful. Yeah it sounds fine on paper, but imagine getting knocked off stage and going to recover when all of a sudden the ability to use Specials is deactivated and you just plummet helplessly to your death when your character clearly should have made it.

That's not fun, that's frustrating.

An idea I've had for a while was having the stage be the top of Bowser's Keep with Exor in the background, but a more recent idea I had was in Bowser's Throne room, where the character fight atop the two chandeliers as they ascend or descend the interior of Bowser's Keep.

Either way, we need a legitimate Bowser Castle stage (and isn't a brief section of the Paper Mario stage) and I think it's a huge missed opportunity if we don't get one in Smash.

Firox

Smash Master
So I know all that leak stuff about Geno was fake... but it's good to have more names, eyes and ears on Geno.

Like, because of ZeRo and PapaGenos/Blocked Content talking about him some more, his name is thrown around more. More posts are happening on Reddit's Smash subreddits, GameFAQs, and Twitter because of them. Social influence is a good thing - even if some of it is negative press!
Exactly. Like they say, "There's no such thing as bad PR." As long as Geno is getting mentioned, his relevance will only increase.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
An idea I've had for a while was having the stage be the top of Bowser's Keep with Exor in the background, but a more recent idea I had was in Bowser's Throne room, where the character fight atop the two chandeliers as they ascend or descend the interior of Bowser's Keep.

Either way, we need a legitimate Bowser Castle stage (and isn't a brief section of the Paper Mario stage) and I think it's a huge missed opportunity if we don't get one in Smash.
What about a transforming stage like castle siege? Starts on top by exor, moves inside like you described, then goes outside on like the bridge or Vista hill or something, then resets.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Quite frankly, I think a stage mechanic like that would be awful. Yeah it sounds fine on paper, but imagine getting knocked off stage and going to recover when all of a sudden the ability to use Specials is deactivated and you just plummet helplessly to your death when your character clearly should have made it.

Can't stand whichever Pokemon on Spear Pillar reverses your controls. (Is it Palkia?) As cool of an Easter Egg as this would be I'm never running that hazard lmao.

D

Deleted member

Eh, that's a bit too tinfoil-y of an assumption for my tastes. Sometimes things really are that simple. They met with Nintendo about Smash. He didn't say specifically what character they met about. Also Bethesda is a huge and massively profitable company. It's not like they're desperate for attention.
I'd argue that after having zero of their games on a Nintendo console until this generation (Doom wasn't published by Bethesda back in the SNES and N64 days), Bethesda is desperate for attention with the Nintendo audience. Doom fans in particular are PC purists in my experience.

Obviously the solution for this is for the stage to have walkoff edges rather than a pit. No real reason for Forest Maze to be floating in the air unless we want to take that giant tree stump to be way taller than presented.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Exactly. Like they say, "There's no such thing as bad PR." As long as Geno is getting mentioned, his relevance will only increase.
It's funny how the people so adamant about screaming that GENO IS IRRELEVANT are actually ensuring, through their rabid hate and frothing at the mouth, that he stays fresh in peoples' minds... which is, you know, pretty equivalent to relevancy.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Personally I still believe were done getting new stages after the pass so I'm largely apathetic to the discussion as a whole, that said I've seen some awesome fan stages using the editor for neglected locations so I'm sure the fans will make fantastic stuff for all the notable places that I'll add to my stage list and use instead.

D

Deleted member

Personally I still believe were done getting new stages after the pass so I'm largely apathetic to the discussion as a whole, that said I've seen some awesome fan stages using the editor for neglected locations so I'm sure the fans will make fantastic stuff for all the notable places that I'll add to my stage list and use instead.
Outside of returning characters and shill Corrin we've never gotten a DLC character without a stage, though...

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Outside of returning characters and shill Corrin we've never gotten a DLC character without a stage, though...
Well frankly that sound like just the type of fan rule that gets broken once put to the test, but time will tell. With the stage select filling out after the pass I think the plan moving forward might just be to cram in as many new fighters as they can in the time they got while there still getting funding, and having to make stages would really slow that down especially with how much work went into some of these new ones like banjo. Besides if 1st parties are back in play then some characters don't really have much to work with as a stage, like what would waluigi or BWD bring that really represents them?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well frankly that sound like just the type of fan rule that gets broken once put to the test, but time will tell. With the stage select filling out after the pass I think the plan moving forward might just be to cram in as many new fighters as they can in the time they got while there still getting funding, and having to make stages would really slow that down especially with how much work went into some of these new ones like banjo. Besides if 1st parties are back in play then some characters don't really have much to work with as a stage, like what would waluigi or BWD bring that really represents them?
Waluigi Pinball comes to mind.

Kirby's universe is too big to even go into the kinds of places Waddle Dee can have. Megaton Punch Stadium comes to mind.

P47

Smash Apprentice

Kirby's universe is too big to even go into the kinds of places Waddle Dee can have. Megaton Punch Stadium comes to mind.
I know you meant no harm but if we get a Megaton Punch stage despite there not being a single non-Sakurai Kirby stage imma riot

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I'd argue that after having zero of their games on a Nintendo console until this generation (Doom wasn't published by Bethesda back in the SNES and N64 days), Bethesda is desperate for attention with the Nintendo audience. Doom fans in particular are PC purists in my experience.
I really don't think Pete Hines saying "Oh yeah" to a question by an interviewer regarding conversations between his company and Nintendo is the desperate PR/marketing strategy to improve sales of Bethesda products on a Nintendo system that you think it is.

"Well, here’s the thing. We’ve always gotten on well with Nintendo, it’s just a question of do the games that we make… technically are they a fit for the platforms that they’re making? In the past the simple answer has been no. Like, Skyrim did not run on anything that Nintendo was making. Could we have changed a bunch of stuff to make it work? Maybe. But that’s not our approach. But in the case of the Switch the game as we made it, does it run on this? Yeah, it does! It runs well. And so Skryim, Wolf, Doom 2016, Doom Eternal, Shelter, Legends – all of those things are things we’ve said, ‘Look, this either can or will run well on a Switch’. And we continue to look at every game that we make, because we want as many people to play it as possible. I have my Switch with me here in Germany, I think it’s great to be able to take games you love with you. "

On the topic of a Switch-exclusive game made by Bethesda, possibly using Nintendo characters in the vein of Mario + Rabbids:

"We’re always having conversations with them, but again those conversations wouldn’t necessarily take place with me, they’d take place with a dev to say, ‘We have an idea for a this or a that and we wanna do a game that is a crossover with the Switch’."

Finally, the interviewer couldn’t resist asking whether Bethesda has talked to Nintendo about Smash Bros. Hines simply said the following:

"Oh yeah."

Does any of this sound desperate to you?

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
yeah and see that's my point, the only thing wa has to his name is a mario kart track that's only been featured twice in the series and BWD a subgame of a collection of subgames and that just feels really weak, not to mention those places don't really have anything to do with those characters themselves, in another universe it could have been wario pinball and a fight against some other kirby enemy and no one would be the wiser. I legit forgot BWD was in megaton punch until I just looked it up again.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I honestly see the Dragonborn from Skyrim as more likely Bethesda rep then Doomguy.
Both Dragonborn and Doomguy are equally likely for different reasons, and honestly people don't give The Elder Scrolls enough credit (especially since Todd's memes have messed with some people's views of the series, which is unfortunate). Pete Hines saying "Oh yeah" doesn't automatically mean Doom Slayer, and while I respect the character he's unfortunately become the poster child for this community's lock culture. Also remember that the Legend of Zelda stuff in Skyrim Switch was Todd's idea, so it shows that he does really like Nintendo. If there were negotiations going on between Nintendo and Bethesda regarding Smash Todd would definitely be there to try and get one of his characters in. November is also Skyrim's 8th birthday, and it's when we'll likely be getting our next character announcement. Remember that Doom isn't the only Bethesda series celebrating its' 25th anniversary this year (even if they only gave it a week, what the hell Bethesda), and The Elder Scrolls is Bethesda's home grown successful franchise. Without it making Bethesda big and continuing to do so there'd be no Doom 2016 or Eternal.

And if anyone here says that Skyrim's not relevant anymore and it's all about recency (Doom Eternal), just remember the very character that this thread is about.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I've been lurking in speculation since roughly the Brawl times, and while I may just have this concept in my head; I thought that since then at least there was the "Impossible Trio" of Ridley, K. Rool, and Geno.
Well then, the term "Impossible Trio" is either a huge misnomer, or just plain incorrect. Look at this thread right now, you have tons of people going, "I think Geno really has a shot, I think Geno is going to happen!". That's the opposite of being seen as impossible. Do you think that's unique to the current Geno fanbase? You think the past Geno fanbases didn't do that? Do you think Ridley and K. Rool managed to get the biggest threads last time despite being seen as impossible? People were saying pretty much the same things: "I think Ridley/K. Rool really has a shot, I think Ridley/K. Rool is going to happen!" Increased activity does not come with decreased expectation, and these have been some of the most active fanbases at one point or another during Smash speculation.

None of the three were ever seen as impossible. If that was the case, they couldn't have gained their momentum. You can't reconcile the two. The only time there was a growing belief in impossibility for any of them was after Sakurai said Ridley was too big last time around. But even then when one person would say "I guess that closes the book on Ridley", another would interject with, "Well Sakurai did change his mind on Villager!".

I defy you to go back at any point in time to demonstrate a widespread belief any of those three were seen as impossible, you won't be able to do it. Unlikely? Maybe at certain points. Impossible? No. Not ever. Not like one of the two following characters.

Of course, BK and Issac were always mentioned as well (particularly in 4 for the latter), but it was my impression "the holy trinity of sorts" was the aforementioned three (which I am confident this game will see brought to fruition)
Now here on the other hand, you do have a character seen as impossible. And it's not even the one you were suggesting was mentioned less for Brawl. It was Banjo. From Rare being purchased to Spencer's tweet, there was an absolute dearth of expectation (and therefore discussion) surrounding Banjo. People have acted as if he was a longtime request, but the truth is he was requested a long time ago, and then recently again, with nothing in the middle.

You may have lurked since Brawl, if you say you have I won't question it, but then somehow it's slipped your mind that Banjo didn't even have a thread for himself until three years into Smash 4 speculation. And you know how many posts the biggest Banjo Brawl thread had? 335. Not pages, posts. Again, if you go back, you simply won't find people talking about, much less expecting Banjo. Being owned by Microsoft was seen as an insurmountable barrier (which frankly, wasn't without reason).

Even for Smash 4, there wasn't this trinity. It was a quintology, and it was made up of Mega Man, Mewtwo, Ridley, K. Rool, and Little Mac. They were called the "Elite 4" (Mewtwo was the Champion). Then once Mega Man was included, Palutena took his spot. Not Geno, not Isaac, and certainly not Banjo. Because all this term really does is denote who is most talked about at any given time.
----------

There's just a huge, huge amount of revisionism in play that casts these five, and just these five in some spot apart from other previously popular characters. That's just brushing over characters like Wario, Diddy, Mega Man, Mewtwo, Inkling, Dedede, etc. who were also among the most popular requests for multiple games. Or characters who were genuinely seen as impossible, like Sonic, prior to Brawl. There has never actually been a time that all five were the most popular requests simultaneously. And certainly none, bar Banjo, were ever actually seen as impossible.

The only thing that ties them together is attention during Ultimate's cycle, hence why people have twisted history to validate a current narrative.

Firox

Smash Master
It's funny how the people so adamant about screaming that GENO IS IRRELEVANT are actually ensuring, through their rabid hate and frothing at the mouth, that he stays fresh in peoples' minds... which is, you know, pretty equivalent to relevancy.
That's the one silver lining to hate. It draws people's attention and then repulses them into the opposite direction. It's like how when something gets critically acclaimed, you'll always have trolls coming out of the woodwork to invent reasons to hate it. Conversely, when something gets panned, it inspires people to try and find the good in it instead. Even if someone screams from the rooftops that Geno is irrelevant, that just means that someone who previously had never heard of him will say, "Huh, I wonder who that guy is?" And so the path of discovery begins...

P47

Smash Apprentice
yeah and see that's my point, the only thing wa has to his name is a mario kart track that's only been featured twice in the series and BWD a subgame of a collection of subgames and that just feels really weak, not to mention those places don't really have anything to do with those characters themselves, in another universe it could have been wario pinball and a fight against some other kirby enemy and no one would be the wiser. I legit forgot BWD was in megaton punch until I just looked it up again.
Waluigi Pinball only appears twice but it's still one of the most well known Mario Kart tracks ever. A Waluigi stage could also focus on one of (or all of) the Mario sports titles

As for Bandee he was just listing off one example (his very first appearance). Like Serende01 said, there are a crapton of Kirby locales that would fit him like Another Dimension, the Jambastion, Patched Plains, Moonlight Capital, Haltmann's Office/The Access Ark, the Dream Kingdom, a Battle Royale stage, etc

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Waluigi Pinball only appears twice but it's still one of the most well known Mario Kart tracks ever. A Waluigi stage could also focus on one of (or all of) the Mario sports titles

As for Bandee he was just listing off one example (his very first appearance). Like Serende01 said, there are a crapton of Kirby locales that would fit him like Another Dimension, the Jambastion, Patched Plains, Moonlight Capital, Haltmann's Office/The Access Ark, the Dream Kingdom, a Battle Royale stage, etc
your missing my point waluigi pinball isn't really a location and nothing about it is inherently tied to wa in any way, some developer just had a cool track idea and no one's name to slap on to it, it wouldn't make any more sense than to change warioware for wario stadium or peach's castle for peach's circuit. I'm not saying they won't or couldn't go with it but it stands out too far to make me believe it's the likelier option to nothing.

And I'll admit I haven't played any kirby since the wii one but what do those locations have to do with BWD explicitly? It's one thing when you are your series in smash like when kirby brought wipsy woods and green greens in the first 2 games but from my memory basically ever additional rep past the first for every franchise either either brought a stage that represents them like meta knight's halberd or just didn't have one at all like DDD.

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
Random Question: What is your favorite geno moveset you’ve seen on the internet(Brawlfan1, Delzethin, Etc)
Mines is probably Brawlfan1s, I love the presentation in all his videos, but his moveset doesn’t seem complicated at all and I could easily see myself maining Geno along with Banjo and Ridley.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Random Question: What is your favorite geno moveset you’ve seen on the internet(Brawlfan1, Delzethin, Etc)
Mines is probably Brawlfan1s, I love the presentation in all his videos, but his moveset doesn’t seem complicated at all and I could easily see myself maining Geno along with Banjo and Ridley.
though I like to heckle it the Legacyxp moveset is honestly the best thing I've seen put together thus far. I still like geno boost over blast but with some AAA polish over it you wouldn't see any complaints from me.

D

Deleted member

your missing my point waluigi pinball isn't really a location and nothing about it is inherently tied to wa in any way, some developer just had a cool track idea and no one's name to slap on to it, it wouldn't make any more sense than to change warioware for wario stadium or peach's castle for peach's circuit. I'm not saying they won't or couldn't go with it but it stands out too far to make me believe it's the likelier option to nothing.

And I'll admit I haven't played any kirby since the wii one but what do those locations have to do with BWD explicitly? It's one thing when you are your series in smash like when kirby brought wipsy woods and green greens in the first 2 games but from my memory basically ever additional rep past the first for every franchise either either brought a stage that represents them like meta knight's halberd or just didn't have one at all like DDD.
I consider Mario Kart 100% canon so I'm going to have to assume that through unknown means Waluigi had the capital to fund a pinball themed amusement park/race track so in my heart, it is really a location. But ok, the music is already in the game, so how about Waluigi's Island, the unlockable map in Mario Party 3 (which happens to be his second appearance iirc)? A sports themed stage? He has plenty to go on or they could make something totally new for him, since that kind of fits his personality and isn't outside of what's been done already.

Of course, I kind of wonder why you're arguing that we won't get stages based on the possibility of Waluigi getting in when you earlier posted that you think "no upgraded assists in the same game" is a hard and fast rule.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZelDan

Smash Master

I'd argue a place called "Waluigi pinball" that has a giant Waluigi model would probably be tied to Waluigi.

I also don't see how Waluigi Pinball "isn't a location" or how it's any less of a location than any in stage between Smash or Mario Kart.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I consider Mario Kart 100% canon so I'm going to have to assume that through unknown means Waluigi had the capital to fund a pinball themed amusement park/race track so in my heart, it is really a location. But ok, the music is already in the game, so how about Waluigi's Island, the unlockable map in Mario Party 3 (which happens to be his second appearance iirc)? A sports themed stage? He has plenty to go on or they could make something totally new for him, since that kind of fits his personality and isn't outside of what's been done already.

Of course, I kind of wonder why you're arguing that we won't get stages based on the possibility of Waluigi getting in when you earlier posted that you think "no upgraded assists in the same game" is a hard and fast rule.
Based on eveyone's responses I'm guessing i'm not articulating this well. I'm not saying waluigi pinball or any other spinoff location couldn't work or wouldn't be chosen they just don't have much attachment to waluigi himself like about every other MK track to their respective characters. and I imagine until he gets a role in a non party game this probably wouldn't change. Imagine if toad got in but they made his stage toad turnpike instead of toad town or something actually related to the toads, I doubt many people would think that was a good idea.

Also I explicitly said it was a soft rule the only hard rule is no 4th party fighters, but Waluigi was just something that came to mind as a good example while writing that and I didn't think much of it at the time because I didn't think I was going on trial over it. The whole point of that line was just that lots of big 1st party requests right now are 2nd stringers and lack truly iconic locations that the protagonists and antagonists have.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

though I like to heckle it the Legacyxp moveset is honestly the best thing I've seen put together thus far. I still like geno boost over blast but with some AAA polish over it you wouldn't see any complaints from me.
I agree with this, aside from Geno Boost being a move aside from a temporary buff. I appreciate the idea that Geno would have a Hero/Wii Fit Trainer style buff to make him stronger or faster for a little while.

P47

Smash Apprentice

I think we just have different definitons of what "represents them" means. Those stages aren't anymore tied to BWD than to Kirby himself (besides maybe a BR stage since he's sorta the protagonist of that game), but the games they're from (RtDL, TD, RBB, BR, TKCD/SKC, SA) are where BWD was fleshed out and became a main character in the series. Bandana Dee coming to Smash and a stage from one of those games would represent an era of Kirby that's been neglected by the Smash team.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I agree with this, aside from Geno Boost being a move aside from a temporary buff. I appreciate the idea that Geno would have a Hero/Wii Fit Trainer style buff to make him stronger or faster for a little while.
hehe yeah though while I would like to make some grand statement about how boost fits better with timed hits in truth I really just want it because I think the dev team will goof up and make the successful version too good and make geno top so I can mess people up with him even though I'm trash at smash. Not that the former isn't a valid point.

also lets all take a moment to realize that in canon the rules committee for MK7 decided to reach out and reestablish pinball as part of the official league but then decided to snub the poor man from actually participating. That's priceless.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

hehe yeah though while I would like to make some grand statement about how boost fits better with timed hits in truth I really just want it because I think the dev team will goof up and make the successful version too good and make geno top so I can mess people up with him even though I'm trash at smash. Not that the former isn't a valid point.

also lets take a moment to realize that in cannon the rules committee for MK7 decided to reach out and reestablish pinball as part of the official league but then decided to snub the poor man from actually participating. That's priceless.
If Geno ends up broken, well...

see you at EVO.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
damn if geno ended up a competitive mainstay that would just be the icing on the cake, I might just go to some big events like EVO just to see it happen and support the genobros.

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
Well then, the term "Impossible Trio" is either a huge misnomer, or just plain incorrect. Look at this thread right now, you have tons of people going, "I think Geno really has a shot, I think Geno is going to happen!". That's the opposite of being seen as impossible. Do you think that's unique to the current Geno fanbase? You think the past Geno fanbases didn't do that? Do you think Ridley and K. Rool managed to get the biggest threads last time despite being seen as impossible? People were saying pretty much the same things: "I think Ridley/K. Rool really has a shot, I think Ridley/K. Rool is going to happen!" Increased activity does not come with decreased expectation, and these have been some of the most active fanbases at one point or another during Smash speculation.

None of the three were ever seen as impossible. If that was the case, they couldn't have gained their momentum. You can't reconcile the two. The only time there was a growing belief in impossibility for any of them was after Sakurai said Ridley was too big last time around. But even then when one person would say "I guess that closes the book on Ridley", another would interject with, "Well Sakurai did change his mind on Villager!".

I defy you to go back at any point in time to demonstrate a widespread belief any of those three were seen as impossible, you won't be able to do it. Unlikely? Maybe at certain points. Impossible? No. Not ever. Not like one of the two following characters.

Now here on the other hand, you do have a character seen as impossible. And it's not even the one you were suggesting was mentioned less for Brawl. It was Banjo. From Rare being purchased to Spencer's tweet, there was an absolute dearth of expectation (and therefore discussion) surrounding Banjo. People have acted as if he was a longtime request, but the truth is he was requested a long time ago, and then recently again, with nothing in the middle.

You may have lurked since Brawl, if you say you have I won't question it, but then somehow it's slipped your mind that Banjo didn't even have a thread for himself until three years into Smash 4 speculation. And you know how many posts the biggest Banjo Brawl thread had? 335. Not pages, posts. Again, if you go back, you simply won't find people talking about, much less expecting Banjo. Being owned by Microsoft was seen as an insurmountable barrier (which frankly, wasn't without reason).

Even for Smash 4, there wasn't this trinity. It was a quintology, and it was made up of Mega Man, Mewtwo, Ridley, K. Rool, and Little Mac. They were called the "Elite 4" (Mewtwo was the Champion). Then once Mega Man was included, Palutena took his spot. Not Geno, not Isaac, and certainly not Banjo. Because all this term really does is denote who is most talked about at any given time.
----------

There's just a huge, huge amount of revisionism in play that casts these five, and just these five in some spot apart from other previously popular characters. That's just brushing over characters like Wario, Diddy, Mega Man, Mewtwo, Inkling, Dedede, etc. who were also among the most popular requests for multiple games. Or characters who were genuinely seen as impossible, like Sonic, prior to Brawl. There has never actually been a time that all five were the most popular requests simultaneously. And certainly none, bar Banjo, were ever actually seen as impossible.

The only thing that ties them together is attention during Ultimate's cycle, hence why people have twisted history to validate a current narrative.
Well, my apologies, it was never my intention to enact historical revisionism. I didnt make up the idea of "Impossible Trio" just merely have what is perhaps a foggy recollection. I understand and agree it is a misnomer and "highly unlikely" is far more befitting. I believe the term "impossible" certainly would not fit any character, barring Banjo.

And I shouldnt have used the term "lurk" because i wasnt lurking smash boards since Brawl, more I just meant kept up with general speculation. Again my apologies, I'm pretty tired today.

I've known people who never lost hope for Banjo the entire time. And Geno Ridley and K. Rool were all seen as having roadblocks as I'm sure no one needs reminding.

I never meant to "revise history" or devalue anyone's desire for a long requested character. This was my mistake. I heard the name once upon a time and it stuck with me all these years. Didnt expect anyone to come guns blazing (though I admit I have a hard time reading tone in and out of text lol.

I want Geno more than anything. And once Geno comes I'll push even further for Issac. I dont have a particular attachment to Golden Sun, but I want to see these long time wishes granted.

I merely wasnt aware of the specifics of the board. So I do sincerely thank you for the history lesson and apologize if I came off in anyway which bothered anyone. This is me peacing out.

Wish7s

Smash Cadet
I think his PM move set is by far his best interpretation yet, I'm really not a fan of BrawlFan's move set... It feels like he's wasting so much potential by just having every attack be a projectile. Once he's actually in I really hope Sakurai does some moves where Geno rag dolls (like PM down tilt) I think that idea is super sick

LDGno97

Smash Cadet
Honestly the Legacy XP mod made something beautiful. It only lacks a stage like Forest Maze

T2by4

Smash Lord
If Geno ends up broken, well...

see you at EVO.
I want geno to be a highly technical character. A character that is hard to learn but completely busted. Make all the genohaters suffer for not wanting to dedicate time to learn him but also getting bodied by every single one because he's sm4sh bayonetta/Brawl Meta knight tier.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I want geno to be a highly technical character. A character that is hard to learn but completely busted. Make all the genohaters suffer for not wanting to dedicate time to learn him but also getting bodied by every single one because sm4sh bayonetta tier.
As funny as it would be for like, five minutes... No character should end up like that. I'm glad B-K weren't too over-powered. Why? Because boy, if your character is so broken that it shatters the meta, that character is going to have a stain on them for life. Look at what happened with poor Bayonetta. I was psyched to see her in Sm4sh, but the amount of crap she got because of how broken she was got overwhelming. I wouldn't want to see that happen with Geno. Heck, look at how Hero is being treated right now without being Bayonetta-tier broken because of his RNG. The hate he gets is unreal.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
As funny as it would be for like, five minutes... No character should end up like that. I'm glad B-K weren't too over-powered. Why? Because boy, if your character is so broken that it shatters the meta, that character is going to have a stain on them for life. Look at what happened with poor Bayonetta. I was psyched to see her in Sm4sh, but the amount of crap she got because of how broken she was got overwhelming. I wouldn't want to see that happen with Geno. Heck, look at how Hero is being treated right now without being Bayonetta-tier broken because of his RNG. The hate he gets is unreal.
You'd be surprised how many people complain about Wonder Wing at the semi-pro level. It's specifically difficult to punish for characters with short grab range. That said I agree that Banjo landed in the Meta with such grace. Hero's RNG elements did throw everyone for a loop but I think in the past couple of months its been realized how specialized that character is. If you counterpick with a rush down character you can pressure the Hero player while they're selecting spells. This leaves Hero either open for a punish, or scrambling to make a selection that could be situationally useless. Until a Hero main starts winning majors with nothing but Kamikaze I'm not tripping.

I can't see Geno bringing forth any gimmicks that would upset the Meta. This game's balance team is ****ing phenomenal. I would say 85% of the cast is viable at the semi-competetive level and Geno will most likely touch down in A or B tier as every other DLC character has.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I really wish we had some sort of news now, this drought is driving me insane. Give us terry’s release and the reveal of the final fp character so we can either start cheering or start pushing for him in the next round of dlc.
I'm confused as to how anything since Hero's release remotely qualifies as a drought... we just got so much content dropped in the game with 5.0, Terry announced, and more fighters announced. I get being antsy about Geno, but we're in one of the best positions regarding information for Smash we've ever really been in TBH.

Now radio silence about Smash for Wii U/3DS between June 2013 and December 2013, that was a drought haha (and Brawl had even worse periods...)

Metroid Prime: Am I a joke to you?

My problem with the argument that "this genre isn't represented in Smash" as a justification for adding a character is that there are genres that just don't translate well to the Smash formula. Not saying he's an impossibility due to that, but him being added to Smash wouldn't represent first person shooters any more than Snake somehow represents stealth games.
You don't know genres don't translate well to Smash. Hell, Sakurai has proved people wrong time after time in regard to what "does and does not translate well" to Smash. There isn't some objective way to gauge that. Not to mention, people just like playing as their favorite characters from their favorite video games, and don't really care how well they "translate" to Smash. We've got ROB, Mr. Game & Watch, Villager, Ridley, Pac-Man, Bayonetta, and so on. All of which had people railing against them or not being clear ideas that would work in Smash, yet here they are.

Sakurai doesn't seem to lack any imagination, so he can definitely translate any genre he wants to into Smash. People have proposed plenty of cool movesets for characters across all matter of support threads after all, you can do it just fine.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I get being antsy about Geno, but we're in one of the best positions regarding information for Smash we've ever really been in TBH.
Yeah, the content we've been getting is not only phenomenal, but also coming at a breakneck rate. I've no complaints. I think we can all agree that we're antsy about Geno's fate, though, haha. We've been well over a year in the dark about his chances for Ultimate with things taking hope away, giving hope, taking it away again, etc. Especially with how 'now or never' this feels, too, it's been an especially torturous time to be a Geno fan.

Drought, though? Not even in the slightest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom