• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

link2702

Smash Champion
That artwork reminded me of just how awesome a lot of krillins abilities are, and yet how weak they made him in dbz.

Like, he has one of the most devastating and amazing moves in the entire series (least in the original dbz saiyan saga), and they don’t bother exploring more of his power, all cuz he’s a human not a saiyan and therefore can never reach their sheer strength and durability.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I did a preliminary count by making a copy of the spreadsheet on Google Docs (the original doc cannot be tampered with, obviously, and is comment-only) and sorting, and here's what I've got without excluding spam stuff (that I frankly can't make judgement on anyway):

~640 votes for Geno are for him as most wanted,
~340 votes for Geno are for him as least wanted,
and around ~650 are for him as most likely.

From what I can gather, many of the people (from a quick skim) who think he's likely are not huge Geno supporters, with a select subset actually being anti-Geno. Quite a few people think he's probably on the way.
Welcome to PapaGenos' Discord. If you bring up the puppet there, you'll never live it down. I remember when you where attacked and insulted just by wanting him and thinking he could happen. Now it seems like some of them do acknowledge his chances, yet still hate him for reasons that make no sense at all.

This is why I plan on re-joining Papa's Discord to just spam memes and Geno dabbing emotes until I get banned if Geno does drop. It may sound petty, but I endured months of garbage there just for liking the blue puppet boi and frankly, taking the high road isn't always as satisfying.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Welcome to PapaGenos' Discord. If you bring up the puppet there, you'll never live it down. I remember when you where attacked and insulted just by wanting him and thinking he could happen. Now it seems like some of them do acknowledge his chances, yet still hate him for reasons that make no sense at all.

This is why I plan on re-joining Papa's Discord to just spam memes and Geno dabbing emotes until I get banned if Geno does drop. It may sound petty, but I endured months of garbage there just for liking the blue puppet boi and frankly, taking the high road isn't always as satisfying.
Here's what I don't understand. PapaGenos is a Genobro and he's been here, in the actual Smashboards Geno thread. I spoke to him once.

So why is it that his own server is packed full of Geno haters, knowing full well where PapaGenos stands?

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I made a thing! also a new twitter account for my art! feel free to check it out if you're feeling the urge!
Absolutely phenomenal stuff, friend -- I actually stumbled across this earlier today before I went in to work, simply scrolling along my Timeline. It's rad to know who did it! Keep up the awesome work. I'll follow when I get back home from work. :ultduckhunt:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Here's what I don't understand. PapaGenos is a Genobro and he's been here, in the actual Smashboards Geno thread. I spoke to him once.

So why is it that his own server is packed full of Geno haters, knowing full well where PapaGenos stands?
I never got this either. Like out of all the people that cover Smash and Nintendo stuff why spend most of your free time on a server operated by someone that’s a huge fan of the character you hate?

Plank08

Smash Lord
I’ve been watching this thread since Banjo got announced and I just wanted to say that thanks to this thread Geno has become my #2 most wanted only behind Sackboy, and I feel his chances are better than ever and I support him!
(Also how do you change your Profile Picture?)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I’ve been watching this thread since Banjo got announced and I just wanted to say that thanks to this thread Geno has become my #2 most wanted only behind Sackboy, and I feel his chances are better than ever and I support him!
(Also how do you change your Profile Picture?)
Click on your username at the top of the page, go to Account Details, and upload an image for your avatar.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

I can't really say I blame you, given I've endured a lot of crap just for daring to like our star boy, but the last thing I want to do is incite more ****-flinging. I'll celebrate in the way I know how: drawing even more Genos than I already do! :drflip:

Also lol, lots of people (not on Smashboards) are already crying 'rigged' for the poll because of Geno coming out on top this time. It's a sample size, and the people in Papa's and Sabi's Discords are actually NOT inherently Geno-aligned. (That is especially odd in Papa's case, given how just breathing Geno's name gets you trampled on by detractors.) Just because Papa and Sabi both like Geno doesn't mean that their public, open-to-all Discords are full of Geno fans. In my experience, I found it to be quite the opposite rofl.

People just refuse to believe that Geno has a fan base because they don't personally get it. Just because a character doesn't align with you doesn't mean their support is rendered invalid. I sure as heck don't get why people support Sora and (I'll probably get some flak for this) Reimu, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna take dumps on their supporters or call their high results on polls 'rigged'. The immaturity of this fan base, I tell you...

Plank08

Smash Lord
At this point, what’s holding geno back? Sakurai wants him, his Mii costumes missing, He ranks high in all the polls, Square would probably be fine with it, I can’t believe I’m saying this but I think Geno is almost guaranteed.

D

Deleted member

Yeah had a feeling the latest leaks were fake. But honestly I still have hope Geno will be in it.

It's belief and yeah he's got a good following plus definitely want too see him in.

So I hope he gets in.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
At this point, what’s holding geno back? Sakurai wants him, his Mii costumes missing, He ranks high in all the polls, Square would probably be fine with it, I can’t believe I’m saying this but I think Geno is almost guaranteed.
What's holding Geno back is that he doesn't fit the mold of most of the current dlc fighters which is that they are trying to appeal to people outside of the smash fanbase with the exception of Banjo and Kazooie. We have no precedent to determine if there will be more picks from Nintendo like Banjo and Kazooie or if post fighters pass dlc will continue in this same vein of trying to appeal to those outside of the "smash bubble" (which imo seems probable). So basically, what's holding Geno back is the enigmatic whimsy of Nintendo or rather simply the exceedingly high number of unknown variables that determine how Nintendo selects the dlc characters.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
So basically, what's holding Geno back is the enigmatic whimsy of Nintendo or rather simply the exceedingly high number of unknown variables that determine how Nintendo selects the dlc characters.
Right, but, isn't that holding every character back? I mean we can speculate all we want as to how and why these fighters are chosen and we can find trends, and we can even say that Banjo is an outlier. But there's nothing definitive that says this trend we found is a deliberate one in the eyes of Nintendo or not. I agree that Geno has a cult fanbase and therefor a more intense hill to climb. But if his hindrance is simply the numberous variables that go into Nintendo's decision, I'd say everyone else is just as boned.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Say guys, if Geno got in the next game, whether or not he makes it in this game beforehand, how about Mallow as an Assist Trophy? Mallow could make weak punches, summon lightning to attack others, generate clouds to obscure other opponents, and for kicks, generate thought bubbles above any opponent's head to show what they are thinking. Then when he leaves the battlefield, he does so by crying, causing it to rain, which has little to no effect on the fight itself.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Say guys, if Geno got in the next game, whether or not he makes it in this game beforehand, how about Mallow as an Assist Trophy? Mallow could make weak punches, summon lightning to attack others, generate clouds to obscure other opponents, and for kicks, generate thought bubbles above any opponent's head to show what they are thinking. Then when he leaves the battlefield, he does so by crying, causing it to rain, which has little to no effect on the fight itself.
I don't know what you mean... Geno is going to be playable in this game and Mallow will appear on the Forest Maze stage where he'll affect the weather. :lick:

Plank08

Smash Lord
Honestly, I don’t think there’s gonna be a next game, and I kind of hope not cause otherwise it wouldn’t make ultimate as special, so it’s basically now or never for Geno.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I’ve counted some more Most Wanted votes for Steve based on variations/a lone Minecraft vote and whatever characters I saw him put with, and I did the same for Geno and other characters in the same fashion. It didn’t garner much more though, and I realize people who included multiple characters very well may get their votes removed or only have their vote count for the first character they put.

I noticed three weird votes for Sabi that had identical choices except for a minor spelling error in Pyra (they had Rex & Pyra as most-likely), as well as two Shreks, one Mickey Mouse, one SpongeBob, and (for some reason) two Ridleys.

Only one Gengar vote, am sad.

I realized even the lowest-voted characters could be very popular and we won’t know it because a lot of people will put their most-wanted while loving others as well, or choose between some they love equally.

edit: I just noticed the raw data has more Steve votes than I counted. Huh.

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't know what you mean... Geno is going to be playable in this game and Mallow will appear on the Forest Maze stage where he'll affect the weather. :lick:
Just a thought, and idea. Plus, I meant if Geno makes a second appearance in the next game, assuming he gets in this one or not. But believe what you want to believe. I mean, anything is possible.

D

Deleted member

Hope for Geno is high whatever happens happens.

But I believe in his chances.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I realized even the lowest-voted characters could be very popular and we won’t know it because a lot of people will put their most-wanted while loving others as well, or choose between some they love equally.
This, if you want to gauge true character popularity and not just make a glorified election then you need to have the option to nominate multiple characters, how many is best I don't know but something like 3 would be a good start at least.

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Honestly, I don’t think there’s gonna be a next game, and I kind of hope not cause otherwise it wouldn’t make ultimate as special, so it’s basically now or never for Geno.
I remember Sakurai saying that this game would only be the last Smash Bros for a while. Also, he said something about future Smash games, saying that future Smash games won't have as many characters as this game.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Right, but, isn't that holding every character back? I mean we can speculate all we want as to how and why these fighters are chosen and we can find trends, and we can even say that Banjo is an outlier. But there's nothing definitive that says this trend we found is a deliberate one in the eyes of Nintendo or not. I agree that Geno has a cult fanbase and therefor a more intense hill to climb. But if his hindrance is simply the numberous variables that go into Nintendo's decision, I'd say everyone else is just as boned.
Yes you're exactly right and this is kind of what I intended to imply. Basically what's holding Geno back is the same thing holding every other character back except that Geno is actually aided this time by his third party status rather than hindered by it. Geno's only roadblocks are the fact that he is a "smash bubble" only pick and the same things that hinder everyone else except first parties. The problem we run into is fan theories with little to no basis even if they are being proven so far such as "spirits disconfirm" or "only one rep per company". Equally as much of a fan theory but without any context is the "dlc post fighters pass is the wild West and the same rules don't apply there". There is no way for us to know what the rules are or how they apply and when no matter how hard we look at it unless Nintendo comes out and literally tells us exactly what those rules are and where they apply and even then people will look for loopholes.

Banjo proved that the smash bubble will get at least one nod from Nintendo in dlc and it would be wise for Nintendo to throw the smash bubble a couple more bones to keep them on board. Who knows? Maybe Geno will be one of those bones, maybe not. Point is there's no way to know (unless you're literally an insider or working on the game lol). There is no way to know for any character. I would say all third parties are on an equal playing field right now and it's just a matter of who Nintendo decides to pull out of their hat. No amount of speculation, belief, or fan theories will change the fact that it is all up to Nintendo and that is what is or isn't holding every potential character back.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
That is a fair point but I'm inclined to believe that they aren't the heartless (heh, get it?) corporate monsters everyone claims they are. I imagine that'd they'd be willing to comply but again, your point is fair.
I mean, Square Enix is a business at the end of the day. They may not be the greediest company in the world but we shouldn't forget that they want to make money no matter how community loving they make themselves out to be. I'm thinking that Square Enix is just unsure how well Geno will perform and used the Geno mii costume back in Smash 4 to test waters and if that sold well, they'll probably be a lot more confident in Geno.

Hopefully the outcry for Geno eventually reached Square Enix. The music take downs and lack of a mii costume can only mean good news.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I remember Sakurai saying that this game would only be the last Smash Bros for a while. Also, he said something about future Smash games, saying that future Smash games won't have as many characters as this game.
Not to mention that Sakurai will likely retire from the series. It seems fitting he would want to honor Iwata's legacy and then step away.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
He Won an award and said during his speech this was Iwatas last assignment to him.
How did I say it? Just because it was the last assignment Iwata gave him doesn't mean he is completely done with Smash, right?

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
People just assume that since this is ULTIMATE there’s really no where else to go from here, so Sakurais probably does with the series.
That is just an assumption, though. Who knows if it is actually the reality.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
This, if you want to gauge true character popularity and not just make a glorified election then you need to have the option to nominate multiple characters, how many is best I don't know but something like 3 would be a good start at least.
And this is why America needs ranked choice voting! :4pacman:

But seriously, I want Isaac and Geno basically equally and for polls like this its always difficult to pick who to vote for. Right now Geno is more possible (thanks, AT) so I tend to vote for him.

I'm glad that Isaac ranked this well despite the trophy.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
But seriously, I want Isaac and Geno basically equally and for polls like this its always difficult to pick who to vote for. Right now Geno is more possible (thanks, AT) so I tend to vote for him.

I'm glad that Isaac ranked this well despite the trophy.
Yeah I'd love to show my support for all the characters I like but thems the brakes.

I'm very impressed in how Isaac Wa and Shadow were still able to do despite the inevitable massive confidence loss being assist always brings. I mean while Issac was at the top with banjo and k rool at his peak it's still crazy how much resolve the base still has when others like BWD dropped big time and paper mario and ashley just completely fell off the face of the earth, and shadow was only barely able to hold on to a named spot. That said it's interesting to see how little waluigi has budged overall since I remember him being in the mid teens in the ballot polls as well, I think thats very fitting, they sure are a stubborn and determined bunch and his place as a marioverse mainstay will keep him relevant enough until they succeed.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
That is just an assumption, though. Who knows if it is actually the reality.
I hope its the case for dude's sake forreal. I know he seems to be in better health lately but he's been working on Ultimate without hault since 2015. Just the tone in which he describes Ultimate, that he wants to push the envelope as far as possible, makes me think this is his magnum opus and therefor his last venture into the series he created.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom