• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
yeah those two polls are a great way to show just how perceived possibility might just be the biggest factor for poll results. Between the two time-wise we saw, multiple characters as spirits or AT in base, and a dlc lineup build out if 3rd party main characters. And what is different in the new results? Previously high scoring characters that had an AT, or a spirit not named geno shantae or BWD bombed out completely. Characters with no visable backing before but were distinctly absent in base skyrocketed for a time (porky freaking Minch at 14th of any possible character in gaming? get out of here) and true 3rd party representation went from

5 Sora
6 Shantae
8 Shadow
10 Rayman
11 Crash
12 Doomguy
14 Sans
15 Phoenix wright
to
1. Sora
4.Steve
5.Shantae
7.Phoenix wright
9. Rayman
10.Crash
11. Master Chief
12. Doomguy
13. Dante
15. Tails
16. 2B
17. Hollow Knight
18. Monster Hunter

Everyone on the first list went up except shadow who was hit with an assist and sans which was probably a coerced effort in the first place. Not to mention I never once heard any of those newcomers brought up in any serious capacity besides Dante somewhat and of course the buzz verge and friends started creating around steve around this time last year, until after the 3rd party wave in dlc fell and the new poll was taken. Also interesting to note that not only did shadow totally fail to make an appearance but tails, the only one of the 4 without a model in base, suddenly has the support to top. I feel like the only time where real results could have showed would be right near the beginning of speculation as a whole and even then it's still not perfect. I'd say the big poll were waiting on is probably going to be the closest we'll get since it launched right after the new dlc announcement and people for a time were back to thinking anything is possible but with how short it lasted and how short real discussion of AT's characters managed to hold I'm not confident but it's hard to say what will happen

Last edited:

Heoj

Smash Ace
I feel like it's a safe bet that Geno will be one of the top 5 characters on the poll, however I simply don't see him as 1st or 2nd, I think 3rd, 4rth and 5th(and if were unlucky maybe even 6th and 7th) are what we should be expecting

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Mr Nantendo from Source Gaming seems to think some of these will be the lineup.
for a no AT lineup that looks decent enough but kasumi is someone I'd bet is a 0% at this point in time, if not for how much less they would make with an echo against the licensing fee and other expenses compared to other choices, then you would basically be giving people the option to buy joker for like 1/3 of his price. Also isn't arle from puyo puyo? how would she even work besides getting the falcon/fox treatment?

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Mr Nantendo from Source Gaming seems to think some of these will be the lineup.
See, this is something that makes me lift a brow, because this guy actually does have inside sources and would have some understanding of the industry that we probably don't have. I'm by no means saying, "LOOK, HE LISTED GENO, HE'S IN, BOYS! HE KNOWS GENO'S IN!" Cripes, no, not at all. However, if he thinks any of these characters have a chance, this does make me more inclined to believe he has good reason to think so. With that said, it is just speculation, so I wouldn't take this as anything more than a point of fascination, but it's nice to see someone from SG backing Geno in any small way.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don’t think NantenGex knows the full DLC plans; that’d be crazy, but it’d be nice if he knew Geno - I can see him knowing the next two, assuming stuff for the first “season 2” character has already gotten near completion, or at least negotiations and some inside stuff.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So the multi discord poll is done and they have shown the raw data. They have to go over it to take out spam votes and the likes.

But just from the raw data Geno did pretty good

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
See, this is something that makes me lift a brow, because this guy actually does have inside sources and would have some understanding of the industry that we probably don't have. I'm by no means saying, "LOOK, HE LISTED GENO, HE'S IN, BOYS! HE KNOWS GENO'S IN!" Cripes, no, not at all. However, if he thinks any of these characters have a chance, this does make me more inclined to believe he has good reason to think so. With that said, it is just speculation, so I wouldn't take this as anything more than a point of fascination, but it's nice to see someone from SG backing Geno in any small way.
Well, he used the term "prophetic dream" and "Remember this" in his initial tweet.

It pretty much boils down to these being his predictions.

If he truly has inside sources, and such sources have given him factual information, then his predictions will most likely come true.

But we cannot know if his sources have revealed such to him. Therefore, take it with a grain of salt.

Also, he listed 8 new characters and 3 Echo Fighter. However, I will say that if these characters do get in, they will not be named as shown in his image. Travis Touchdown will just be Travis, Arle Nadja will be Arle, and Crash Bandicoot will be Crash. Ryu Hayabusa will be a toss up since he's gone by both his first and last name in both of the major game series' he's in. "Ryu" in Ninja Gaiden, and "Hayabusa" in Dead or Alive. The rest is accurate, other than Doom Slayer being one word.

Looking at it for what it is though, it's a nice roster. It's got something for everyone. I think Kasumi doesn't really need to be there, but to each his own.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I don’t think NantenGex knows the full DLC plans; that’d be crazy, but it’d be nice if he knew Geno - I can see him knowing the next two, assuming stuff for the first “season 2” character has already gotten near completion, or at least negotiations and some inside stuff.
Oh heavens, no, I definitely don't think he knows ANY of the DLC plans beyond maybe character pack 5 (who I still feel in my bones is Ryu Hayabusa). It's more that this guy knows the climate of the industry and not just what we as fans see. It makes his predictions more interesting a la Jon Cartwright, not because he knows who the characters are, but because he understands how the industry is better than the public. I doubt he actually knows much about Smash DLC rofl. I'm more saying these are educated predictions is all.

D

Deleted member

I'm shifting through the results but I don't know how to search for specific terms, How do you do that?

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Well the raw data has been quite a fascinating read though more or less what I was expecting it to be. I'm planning on making a tally of my own in the next few days to give us something to talk about during the wait though I'm not going to bother with looking for which are dupes or not since I don't have the discord IDs they do to prove it anyway. So unless someone beats me too it and there's a good chance they will I'll be back when i finish the paperwork.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I put “TheCJBrine (no discord)” in my vote so I hope it still gets counted.

Though my Twitter and nearly everything else I use has the same username so I guess that’s silly to worry about.

I saw someone include two characters in their vote so if that counts, I wish I put Geno with Steve.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I did a preliminary count by making a copy of the spreadsheet on Google Docs (the original doc cannot be tampered with, obviously, and is comment-only) and sorting, and here's what I've got without excluding spam stuff (that I frankly can't make judgement on anyway):

~640 votes for Geno are for him as most wanted,
~340 votes for Geno are for him as least wanted,
and around ~650 are for him as most likely.

From what I can gather, many of the people (from a quick skim) who think he's likely are not huge Geno supporters, with a select subset actually being anti-Geno. Quite a few people think he's probably on the way.

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
It's interesting for sure. I didn't think he'd have the most votes (for most wanted). I guess it'll come down to if there were any bots or duplicate votes. Not that I think this poll is a sure thing, but it's interesting to say the least. First by a good margin too. Over 6000 votes is pretty substantial too, and he took around 10%.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Is there a way to search for specific terms on mobile?

edit: meh, I guess I need an app I won’t use; oh well. Could anyone count Steve and Steve (Minecraft)/Minecraft ?

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
one of the things I've noticed are a surprising amount of reimu votes, a few hundred at least. But given the timestamps and how the rest is filled out it makes me think a certain imageboard with a history with her paid it a visit.

another fun fact. Unless my math is off Steve and Isaac tied at 371, interested to see who comes ahead in the filtered version

Last edited:

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I remember I literally tried to count every single Geno vote for the most wanted section but I stopped after like 200 and something. I couldn't do it. Lol

Anyone know how many total votes other major characters like Sora and Doomslayer got?

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Had to look at the poll results.

The fact that the recurrent characters have colors means they probably are ranking high. But you know what really amuses me? The fact that many people didn't spell Ryu Hayabusa's name right. Seriously there's over forty results filled with typos.

Also, I'm looking for more, but for some reason, a good chunk of votes for Reimu don't have the colour code simply because they refer to her as "Reimu Hakurei", which isn't really mistake of any sorts, it's just her complete name.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I am pretty new here. Can anyone explain why SE is stubborn on lending Geno? He has been useless property to them like Banjo was to MS. So why not just get quick cash? What are main issues with getting this guy into Smash anyway?

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I am pretty new here. Can anyone explain why SE is stubborn on lending Geno? He has been useless property to them like Banjo was to MS. So why not just get quick cash? What are main issues with getting this guy into Smash anyway?
At this point, it's not even really Square that's his biggest roadblock: it's Nintendo

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Square's history with Nintendo is quite extensive, and er... bumpy. Back when SMRPG was made they were still "SquareSoft". The company merged with Enix and iirc decided to abandon Nintendo consoles because of their choice to use cartidges instead of discs on the N64. It wasn't until recent history that they've seemed to rekindle the old flame. Cloud and Hero are here afterall. I don't really see there being a legal issue at this point...

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
To add more emphasis to my statement, the DLC has been selected by Nintendo. Sakurai has made it very clear numerous times. If Nintendo doesn't see value in Geno for the roster, then he just won't get in. Square seems more than eager to work with Nintendo now with how quick the copyright deal for Hero went to the point that it seems almost like Nintendo is the only valid thing in his way because
1) Square is willing to work with Nintendo again
and
2) Sakurai has shown continual support for the character.

Nintendo is the final verdict here. That's why I hope the book that got filled with wishes for Geno adds some extra flare to the wish train. Again, congratulations to everyone who participated in that event.

Last edited:

Zav22

Smash Cadet

Finally! BrawlFan1 did a video on what if Geno was in Smash.
I already put it in the thread, but I overall like his take on his moveset. The only thing I'm not so sure on is using geno whirl as his recovery as I see that being his side B for a projectile. I also liked the ideas for victory animations and the costumes being based on the 7 stars.

link2702

Smash Champion
saw that video earlier today.

Gotta say some of the A button moves he thought of were good, although some stuff felt a little too similar to gunner or other moves from another character.

But some b specials I'm not fond of. Up special as geno whirl to me just feels wrong. Definitely a side special move imo. I'd personally make Geno flash be his up special he transforms into the canon and shoots himself upwards. Yeah it's still not the best for that move, but it's a heck of a lot better than Geno Whirl as his up special.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I think his Special Moves were a little off, it should be

B Geno Beam
Side B Geno Whirl
Up B Geno Boost
Down B Geno Blast
Final Smash Geno Flash

D

Deleted member

To add more emphasis to my statement, the DLC has been selected by Nintendo. Sakurai has made it very clear numerous times. If Nintendo doesn't see value in Geno for the roster, then he just won't get in. Square seems more than eager to work with Nintendo now with how quick the copyright deal for Hero went to the point that it seems almost like Nintendo is the only valid thing in his way because
and

Nintendo is the final verdict here. That's why I hope the book that got filled with wishes for Geno adds some extra flare to the wish train. Again, congratulations to everyone who participated in that event.
The only thing I see Nintendo gaining from Geno is adding SMRPG on Switch online continuing the promotion of SNES games. Nintendo would definitely add more games. Donkey Kong Country isn’t even there yet.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
and

So what you are saying is that Nintendo is not seeing much value in adding Geno atm? That online community is vocal minority? I don't understand just putting Mii costume in the first place.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I saw someone include two characters in their vote so if that counts, I wish I put Geno with Steve.
I don't think they would count double votes. Sabi made a statement about that.

and

There is a possibility that Square Enix were only eager to work with Nintendo because they were going to promote one of their biggest franchises. Are you sure they would show as much willingness to work with Geno? We still don't know what Square Enix thinks of him.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I don't think they would count double votes. Sabi made a statement about that.

There is a possibility that Square Enix were only eager to work with Nintendo because they were going to promote one of their biggest franchises. Are you sure they would show as much willingness to work with Geno? We still don't know what Square Enix thinks of him.
That is a fair point but I'm inclined to believe that they aren't the heartless (heh, get it?) corporate monsters everyone claims they are. I imagine that'd they'd be willing to comply but again, your point is fair.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Yes. I'm fine with this roster. Please let it be real! :2gud:
If they actually put both Travis Touchdown and Geno in Smash I would literally **** my pants in the middle of the livestream

The people building that Dyson Sphere over on Tabby's Star could hear the internet's collective screaming.

We would all collectively lose our **** and it would be GLORIOUS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom