• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
Daemon x Machina spirits, and yet no Three Houses or Astral Chain spirits? Hmmm... I wonder if in the additional DLC two characters from those games will be playable.
Calling it now: If Edelgard somehow gets in, then SHE was the starling... :4pacman:

D

Deleted member

oh...man...

I think i'm gonna be sick...
Don't worry. It's too far after the launch of either of those games for them to shill the characters. If they're really "making fans happy", they've got a big backlog of characters to go through before we get to modern characters and yet more Fire Emblem characters.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I do doubt that Astral Chain and FE Three Houses may get a rep with how much fan requests are there for other characters.

D

Deleted member

I’m not leaning to spirits disconfirm but, would spirits not in the base roster disconfirm? Could Edelgard still be playable when they add a spirit of her?

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Hey, Breath of the Wild is popular. Where's its new playable characters?

I'm getting soured with Fire Emblem based on the fandom reactions for Smash. I'm seeing less 'I hope this character is in' and more 'I expect this character to be in' toned and like a command.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I’m not leaning to spirits disconfirm but, would spirits not in the base roster disconfirm? Could Edelgard still be playable when they add a spirit of her?
If Edelgard were added down the line as a spirit, it'd at least show that there are no current plans for her as anything more than that (or maybe a Mii costume). If more DLC is planned after her spirit's release, though, we still could. Given she's a first party character, she's easier to just throw around whenever they choose than, say, Geno.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Daemon x Machina spirits, and yet no Three Houses or Astral Chain spirits? Hmmm... I wonder if in the additional DLC two characters from those games will be playable.
I would feel both disgusted and happy at the same time if Byleth and Akira got in smash. But if Edelgard gets added instead then i will definitely get disgusted.

D

Deleted member

If Edelgard were added down the line as a spirit, it'd at least show that there are no current plans for her as anything more than that (or maybe a Mii costume). If more DLC is planned after her spirit's release, though, we still could. Given she's a first party character, she's easier to just throw around whenever they choose than, say, Geno.
Well, good thing Geno’s missing costume could be a sign of plans of him being playable.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just Remember that the Invitation could go to any video game character. Who gets it is on Sakurai and Nintendo's choices with fan requests as a contributing factor
Screenshot_20190920-144934_YouTube.jpg

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Just Remember that the Invitation could go to any video game character. Who gets it is on Sakurai and Nintendo's choices with fan requests as a contributing factor
You know, that snapshot from Terry's trailer looks suspiciously like the spotlit stage from Donkey Kong 64's opening...

Oh crap, guys. He's in.

You know who I'm talking about.

HE'S in.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Don't worry. It's too far after the launch of either of those games for them to shill the characters. If they're really "making fans happy", they've got a big backlog of characters to go through before we get to modern characters and yet more Fire Emblem characters.
Are you serious? FE has been out for like 3 months (edit: more like 2 months) and Astral Chain literaly just came out. Do you think the character has to be announced before their game comes out to be added for advertisement? The lack of TH spirits is extremely damning. I don't know about Astral Chain, being a third party game, but y'all should brace for Byleth or Edelgard.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I would feel both disgusted and happy at the same time if Byleth and Akira got in smash. But if Edelgard gets added instead then i will definitely get disgusted.
Edelgard is literally the only Fire Emblem character I'd be okay with

Give me my axe user

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, did the Daemon X Machina spirit get confirmed via having to own a copy or playing the game in some capacity like Dragon Quest 11 to get the spirit or?

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm not expecting another FE character anytime soon. Sakurai already worried that he was pushing it over the line with Corrin, and then he added Chrom on top of that. I think FE's done getting characters for the foreseeable future. I'm not "bracing myself" for anything.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Why is the more interesting, deep, and unique character the one that gets you definitely disgusted?

Are you serious? FE has been out for like 3 months (edit: more like 2 months) and Astral Chain literaly just came out. Do you think the character has to be announced before their game comes out to be added for advertisement? The lack of TH spirits is extremely damning. I don't know about Astral Chain, being a third party game, but y'all should brace for Byleth or Edelgard.
First off, Astral Chain is a first party Nintendo title. They own the IP and have published the game everywhere, they just partnered with Platinum to develop it. Second, the Spirits have been an absolute mess with regard to cross promotion, so they don't tell us anything. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (God I hate that name) didn't get spirits until months after release, Link's Awakening got Spirits months before it released, and now Daemon X Machina of all things is getting Spirits despite actually being a Marvelous product... Super Mario Maker 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, and Astral Chain are all first party titles without spirits in the game as of right now, and I sincerely doubt we're getting playable reps from all those games. Super Mario Maker 2 especially has no real reason to not have Spirits, but also wouldn't have Spirits that would fit super well with a character unless you just absolutely shoehorned them in with like Waluigi. Also, like I said, Spirits have come at weird intervals, so we may see Spirits for these games show up at a later date... or they might just not make Spirits for these games because they didn't feel the need to cross promote with them as much. It's hardly a smoking gun that Three Houses doesn't currently have Spirits in Ultimate.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Why is the more interesting, deep, and unique character the one that gets you definitely disgusted?

First off, Astral Chain is a first party Nintendo title. They own the IP and have published the game everywhere, they just partnered with Platinum to develop it. Second, the Spirits have been an absolute mess with regard to cross promotion, so they don't tell us anything. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (God I hate that name) didn't get spirits until months after release, Link's Awakening got Spirits months before it released, and now Daemon X Machina of all things is getting Spirits despite actually being a Marvelous product... Super Mario Maker 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, and Astral Chain are all first party titles without spirits in the game as of right now, and I sincerely doubt we're getting playable reps from all those games. Super Mario Maker 2 especially has no real reason to not have Spirits, but also wouldn't have Spirits that would fit super well with a character unless you just absolutely shoehorned them in with like Waluigi. Also, like I said, Spirits have come at weird intervals, so we may see Spirits for these games show up at a later date... or they might just not make Spirits for these games because they didn't feel the need to cross promote with them as much. It's hardly a smoking gun that Three Houses doesn't currently have Spirits in Ultimate.
I didn't know Astral Chain was a first party title. In that case I think a character from that is likely too. I can't imagine what spirits Mario Maker would add. It doesn't have anything unique to it aside from other mario games. You don't have to agree with me, but I think people's bias against "shill picks" is clouding their judgement if they aren't at least a little suspicious at the lack of spirits.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
We need another Xenoblade character not another Fire Emblem character damnit!

You know, that snapshot from Terry's trailer looks suspiciously like the spotlit stage from Donkey Kong 64's opening...

Oh crap, guys. He's in.

You know who I'm talking about.

HE'S in.
I would **** my pants to the moon if Lanky Kong got in Smash.

Despite Edelgard being unique, Fire Emblem has more than enough characters at the moment. Other franchises desperately need another rep more than Fire Emblem does.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I didn't know Astral Chain was a first party title. In that case I think a character from that is likely too. I can't imagine what spirits Mario Maker would add. It doesn't have anything unique to it aside from other mario games. You don't have to agree with me, but I think people's bias against "shill picks" is clouding their judgement if they aren't at least a little suspicious at the lack of spirits.
You could do any number of fun things from Super Mario Maker 2 like have a spirit be stacks of goombas, Super Mario 3D World based sprites from the game, etc. or even just the weird looking moon they included to have different effects on the levels. Like Spirits don't really need to be unique anyway, the overwhelming majority are not in Ultimate. I just don't think the Spirits have been consistent enough with their inclusion to really key us into much of anything. I also don't really think more Fire Emblem fits what Sakurai is going for right now given all of his commentary still signals to me a focus on new franchises (and more generally third parties). There's also his past issues with more FE characters and the community's continued reaction that also make that less likely.

I could see Akira Howard from Astral Chain given it's a brand new series because it more aligns with his goals in expanding the crossover... but there's the question of if we'll even get first party characters and I just don't think the current situation with Spirits is enough to go off of when they're just all over the place in terms of release. I'm not really bias against "shill picks," I'm just not really expecting them in regards to Nintendo's Smash DLC at this point and the most likely first party character I think would be from Xenoblade given how the series has continued to trend upward and hold as their traditional JRPG without much addition in Ultimate.

Despite Edelgard being unique, Fire Emblem has more than enough characters at the moment. Other franchises desperately need another rep more than Fire Emblem does.
I just meant in response to Byleth vs Edelgard as a theoretical matchup, Edelgard absolutely seems to be the much better option for a rep instead of the third commander type character.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I just meant in response to Byleth vs Edelgard as a theoretical matchup, Edelgard absolutely seems to be the much better option for a rep instead of the third commander type character.
Agreed. I think FE should only be repped either WAY later down the Smash Ultimate lifeline or in the next game. We've got plenty as is. With that said, whenever it does get a new rep, I wouldn't feel too hot about Byleth, but I'd deal with them. Edelgard, however, would be absolutely fantastic. Then again, I'm biased because I love characters like her. You know the kind. :yoshi:

The morally grey kind of character that, while not a good person with the correct methods, is incredibly interesting to learn about.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
You could do any number of fun things from Super Mario Maker 2 like have a spirit be stacks of goombas, Super Mario 3D World based sprites from the game, etc. or even just the weird looking moon they included to have different effects on the levels. Like Spirits don't really need to be unique anyway, the overwhelming majority are not in Ultimate. I just don't think the Spirits have been consistent enough with their inclusion to really key us into much of anything. I also don't really think more Fire Emblem fits what Sakurai is going for right now given all of his commentary still signals to me a focus on new franchises (and more generally third parties). There's also his past issues with more FE characters and the community's continued reaction that also make that less likely.

I could see Akira Howard from Astral Chain given it's a brand new series because it more aligns with his goals in expanding the crossover... but there's the question of if we'll even get first party characters and I just don't think the current situation with Spirits is enough to go off of when they're just all over the place in terms of release. I'm not really bias against "shill picks," I'm just not really expecting them in regards to Nintendo's Smash DLC at this point and the most likely first party character I think would be from Xenoblade given how the series has continued to trend upward and hold as their traditional JRPG without much addition in Ultimate.

I guess that's true. I just feel like the spirits for new releases are meant to represent the new game since they aren't already specially represented already, but Mario Maker is represented by a lot of other Mario spirits. That's just my take.

As far as the rest, Nintendo is the one choosing the dlc, not Sakurai. And if he really had a problem with adding more FE then we wouldn't have gotten Chrom. He may have just been an echo, but there were plenty of other non FE echoes he could have added, like Dixie or Impa. Besides, he said it would be better if Fire Emblem had a new lord with an axe, which it now does. I really don't think we're going to get through all the dlc chosen by Nintendo without at least a couple promotional picks. And FE is the series they love to shill the most.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I guess that's true. I just feel like the spirits for new releases are meant to represent the new game since they aren't already specially represented already, but Mario Maker is represented by a lot of other Mario spirits. That's just my take.

As far as the rest, Nintendo is the one choosing the dlc, not Sakurai. And if he really had a problem with adding more FE then we wouldn't have gotten Chrom. He may have just been an echo, but there were plenty of other non FE echoes he could have added, like Dixie or Impa. Besides, he said it would be better if Fire Emblem had a new lord with an axe, which it now does. I really don't think we're going to get through all the dlc chosen by Nintendo without at least a couple promotional picks. And FE is the series they love to shill the most.
Nintendo had no problem choosing all third party fighters for the Fighter's Pass though, and Smash 4 had 3/4 DLC newcomers from third parties as well. I just think Nintendo recognizes the value of third parties in Smash, so I'm really not expecting much, if anything from first parties myself.

I also think Fire Emblem is a super specific set of circumstances that led to its inclusion in the way it is in Smash and that it isn't necessarily what they most love to shill. Roy got in because he was an easy clone to make at the time of Melee and then fans fell in love with him and demanded his return once he was absent in Brawl that led to him coming back. Lucina only got in because she was a straightforward and easy Echo at the time of Smash 4. Then we only really got Corrin because Nintendo did want an additional Nintendo character in at the time, and there was nothing else to really choose from releasing in that time period outside of Star Fox Zero and they seemed to want a newcomer, so Wolf didn't get the chance either. Then Chrom got really popular through being disconfirmed in Robin/Lucina's trailer and they already had some assets for him do to the fact he appeared in Robin's final smash, which made him easier to implement as an Echo and he also would have less of an issue than a potential Dixie Kong or Impa who Sakurai might not want to make Echoes due to their own unique traits. As much **** as Fire Emblem gets, it basically won the lottery of lucky coincidences and timings that positioned it to be in a position of 7 characters in Ultimate.

Yeah, the whole one Nintendo DLC fighter out of a grand total of 8 (soon to be 9) just really makes me not expect much from first party additions, and I'd argue the third party additions have only become a bigger thing in Ultimate's era than they already were during Smash 4's time thanks to the bigger install base of the Switch and the bigger overall hype for the game. There's also potentially a point to be made that Fire Emblem has broken out even more in the west with Fire Emblem Heroes and the seemingly great success of Three Houses, so maybe it's less of a priority for Nintendo now that it can carry its own brand globally again. I'm like absolutely fine with Edelgard and think she would be a really solid addition to Ultimate... but I just can't find any reason to expect her I guess.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Nintendo had no problem choosing all third party fighters for the Fighter's Pass though, and Smash 4 had 3/4 DLC newcomers from third parties as well. I just think Nintendo recognizes the value of third parties in Smash, so I'm really not expecting much, if anything from first parties myself.

I also think Fire Emblem is a super specific set of circumstances that led to its inclusion in the way it is in Smash and that it isn't necessarily what they most love to shill. Roy got in because he was an easy clone to make at the time of Melee and then fans fell in love with him and demanded his return once he was absent in Brawl that led to him coming back. Lucina only got in because she was a straightforward and easy Echo at the time of Smash 4. Then we only really got Corrin because Nintendo did want an additional Nintendo character in at the time, and there was nothing else to really choose from releasing in that time period outside of Star Fox Zero and they seemed to want a newcomer, so Wolf didn't get the chance either. Then Chrom got really popular through being disconfirmed in Robin/Lucina's trailer and they already had some assets for him do to the fact he appeared in Robin's final smash, which made him easier to implement as an Echo and he also would have less of an issue than a potential Dixie Kong or Impa who Sakurai might not want to make Echoes due to their own unique traits. As much **** as Fire Emblem gets, it basically won the lottery of lucky coincidences and timings that positioned it to be in a position of 7 characters in Ultimate.

Yeah, the whole one Nintendo DLC fighter out of a grand total of 8 (soon to be 9) just really makes me not expect much from first party additions, and I'd argue the third party additions have only become a bigger thing in Ultimate's era than they already were during Smash 4's time thanks to the bigger install base of the Switch and the bigger overall hype for the game. There's also potentially a point to be made that Fire Emblem has broken out even more in the west with Fire Emblem Heroes and the seemingly great success of Three Houses, so maybe it's less of a priority for Nintendo now that it can carry its own brand globally again. I'm like absolutely fine with Edelgard and think she would be a really solid addition to Ultimate... but I just can't find any reason to expect her I guess.
I can understand that. I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree though.

And gee is it refreshing to have a disagreement where people don't throw **** at each other! Maybe I've spent too much time in the wrong places but I'm not used to people being so respectful on the internet. Thanks for that.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Assuming we do get the rest of the slots filled (it was 10, assuming we got no alts, right?) and considering how the DLC has been handled so far, I predict that we can mostly expect 3-5 more first party and 5-8 more third party. This is just a guess and nobody can accurately predict Sakurai but this is my prediction.

[Edit]
If I had to make guesses on the thought process of these characters, I feel like we could get:

Geno: Open Fan Demand
Rayman: Open Fan Demand
Doom Slayer: Nintendo's Pick
Frisk: Sakurai's Choice
Gen 8 Pokemon: Nintendo Pick
Oddball (something like Mach Rider?): Sakurai's Pick
Kirby/Legend of Zelda Rep: Nintendo Pick/Open Fan Demand
Crash/Spyro: Nintendo Pick
Issac: Open Fan Demand
Lloyd Irving: Nintendo Pick(?)

I know this is unlikely but honestly, nobody would see this coming and I think it'd be a huge deal to some people:

A Sony Rep (Kratos, Ratchet & Clank, Parappa, etc)

Now, bonus question. Which incarnation for Kratos do you think Sakurai would use?

Classic Kratos or God of War 4 Kratos?

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Assuming we do get the rest of the slots filled (it was 10, assuming we got no alts, right?) and considering how the DLC has been handled so far, I predict that we can mostly expect 3-5 more first party and 5-8 more third party. This is just a guess and nobody can accurately predict Sakurai but this is my prediction.

[Edit]
If I had to make guesses on the thought process of these characters, I feel like we could get:

Geno: Open Fan Demand
Rayman: Open Fan Demand
Doom Slayer: Nintendo's Pick
Frisk: Sakurai's Choice
Gen 8 Pokemon: Nintendo Pick
Oddball (something like Mach Rider?): Sakurai's Pick
Kirby/Legend of Zelda Rep: Nintendo Pick/Open Fan Demand
Crash/Spyro: Nintendo Pick
Issac: Open Fan Demand
Lloyd Irving: Nintendo Pick(?)

I know this is unlikely but honestly, nobody would see this coming and I think it'd be a huge deal to some people:

A Sony Rep (Kratos, Ratchet & Clank, Parappa, etc)

Now, bonus question. Which incarnation for Kratos do you think Sakurai would use?

Classic Kratos or God of War 4 Kratos?
If this is what we got I would be elated! Can I hear your thought process on Frisk? Frisk is a character I would love to have but don't think really has a chance which is why I'm asking. Also gen 8 rep better be Sirfetch'd or a locomotive based evolution of Rolycoly or I'll be...still very satisfied but somewhat disappointed. I would also love to see Ratchet and Clank!

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
If this is what we got I would be elated! Can I hear your thought process on Frisk? Frisk is a character I would love to have but don't think really has a chance which is why I'm asking. Also gen 8 rep better be Sirfetch'd or a locomotive based evolution of Rolycoly or I'll be...still very satisfied but somewhat disappointed. I would also love to see Ratchet and Clank!
So, for Frisk, I genuinely feel they're not the best rep for Undertale, even though they're the protagonist. I think they'd be the go-to but I don't think they'd be a better choice than Papyrus.

Frisk's bit against Papyrus-
•Main Protagonist
•Iconic
•Design looks great for Smash

Papyrus's bit against Frisk-
•Debatably more iconic
•Way more expressive of personality and physical design shows this
•Easier to implement due to fighting being a thing he does. He fights for fun. Frisk's ACT mechanic for pacifism would be very difficult to include in a fighting game.

I know Sakurai has stated he played Undertale at some point and his recent connection to Toby Fox and the no-doubt large amount of hype from Sans's costume makes me believe that Sakurai could consider putting more Undertale content in Smash at some point. The game is arguably far larger than almost any other indie game to the point that it might as well be treated as a triple A title like Minecraft. I feel Frisk is the go-to but Papyrus is a far better choice.

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Byleth > Edelgard that's a first, I'd hardly consider the former a stray from the derivative Fire Emblem blue-haired anime swordsman, though correct me if I'm wrong since my knowledge of the new game is admittedly meager (and I'm sure Nintendo put more care into this installment than some others since it seemed way more hyped). Edelgard would at least bring a different breed of weaponry into the mix, and I'd argue her game is popular enough to warrant a rep with enough fan demand. I could see the argument for axes having the same two-handed swing dynamic in its most basic form, but mind the "most basic form" bit I included there. "Two-handed swing" is intrinsically broad and eclectic, which allows its subclasses the privilege of refinement and reconceivance from that foundational concept. In this case, axes bear more weight than swords (not to mention that weight is carried almost entirely on one end), so effective maneuvers with an axe will vary from those with a sword.

Aaaaaaand the tangents have infected my claim once more, but at least the stance for a refreshing character from FE is out there.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Byleth > Edelgard that's a first, I'd hardly consider the former a stray from the derivative Fire Emblem blue-haired anime swordsman, though correct me if I'm wrong since my knowledge of the new game is admittedly meager (and I'm sure Nintendo put more care into this installment than some others since it seemed way more hyped). Edelgard would at least bring a different breed of weaponry into the mix, and I'd argue her game is popular enough to warrant a rep with enough fan demand. I could see the argument for axes having the same two-handed swing dynamic in its most basic form, but mind the "most basic form" bit I included there. "Two-handed swing" is intrinsically broad and eclectic, which allows its subclasses the privilege of refinement and reconceivance from that foundational concept. In this case, axes bear more weight than swords (not to mention that weight is carried almost entirely on one end), so effective maneuvers with an axe will vary from those with a sword.

Aaaaaaand the tangents have infected my claim once more, but at least the stance for a refreshing character from FE is out there.
Byleth gets green hair later on in the game.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
This thread really loves to discuss everything besides Geno.
To be fair, I mentioned how I thought Geno would get in as an Open Fan Demand pick and possibly as a Sakurai choice.

Back to Geno, here's a fun one to those Honestuck/Hiveswap/Undertale/Deltarune peeps out there: Who would Geno get along with the most as an associate, who would he dislike the most, and who would he team up with?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Oh, is this the Edelgard stan thread now? Should I invite the whole gang here to sing El's praises? :happysheep:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Also who pranked me? It's been a while since I was pranked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom