• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

QQS

Smash Lord
Super Mario RPG is among the 21 preinstalled games on the SNES Classic Edition released in September 2017, but missing right now on the 20 games of the SNES for Switch Online.

I think that when Geno gets revealed as character #75 or mostly as #76, he may also come with Super Mario RPG added to the library on the Switch.

With all the stuff:
-No Costume yet
-2 songs copyrighted (same way as Megalovania did)
-Truly fan service seen (Banjo, Ridley, KingKRool)
-More than 20 years of demand
-Perfect design and moveset for Smash
-Inkling, Chrom, KKR and Isabelle were from being costumes in Smash Wii U to being fighters in Ultimate (Geno missing). And on the other hand: Ridley, KKR and Banjo already did it. (Geno missing). So in both cases Geno will close both situations. All of those Miis would be playable now; and we would be 4/4 full of the “never evers”.

His costume in Wii U even had a splash screen. Geno in Wii U was like Sans right now. And also, I don’t think these 2 characters (Geno and Sans) would have the same moveset under the Mii Gunner. It’s time for Geno to be playable and unique, he will be 24 years next year. I have zero doubts that Geno is on the way! I just hope to see his reveal in November or December, but anyway he should be playable by 2020. That’s my guessing!

Smash Ultimate is already perfect (even considering it without DLC), but with Banjo there and even more DLC coming after character #5, the final thing I am asking it’s Geno being a fighter!

Anyway, I’m grateful and this game is 100% good, but with Geno there it will be even more unbelievable.

Geno Awakens! (Can you imagine that we could have Super Mario RPG on the Switch + Geno in Smash + Geno amiibo?)

Ovaltine

Smash Master
(Can you imagine that we could have Super Mario RPG on the Switch + Geno in Smash + Geno amiibo?)
I would kill for this and also buy like five Geno amiibo. I never do amiibo customs, but I'd definitely do one or two for Geno.

... oh god, that reminds me that B-K are going to have an amiibo... ohhhh god... oh hh h hhhh hhhhHHHHHHHh

'scuse me, gotta go have a conniption somewhere

QQS

Smash Lord
We will be 1.500 pages in some weeks more. I’m pretty sure that the team and Sakurai know some of these facts.

Geno is by far the most requested fighter right now and his resurrection as a fighter will be epic. He is happening, guys.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
man I can't wait to get my hands on that sweet sweet geno amiibo, I might be just as excited about that as having the fighter.

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
We will be 1.500 pages in some weeks more. I’m pretty sure that the team and Sakurai know some of these facts.

Geno is by far the most requested fighter right now and his resurrection as a fighter will be epic. He is happening, guys.
Here's to praying it's not a mii costume return.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Here's to praying it's not a mii costume return.
I hope not, but if it HAS to be the Mii costume, I beg and plead for them to at least make it look like Geno. Hey, if Sans can be generally considered 'in' by the community because his Mii costume is the splitting image of him, Geno can, too. It sure isn't as satisfying, but I'd take it. Just a straight port of the costume from Sm4sh would be godawful.

D

Deleted member

I hope Square is satisfied after their poster boy and the biggest franchise in Japan that needed more Western exposure are in Smash to be on board with Geno now.

Last edited by a moderator:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Eh joker is more like luminary the closest thing smt would have to a cloud would be demi-fiend. Persona has been it's own thing separate from smt proper for a while now so I wouldn't associate them like that anyway.

Demifiend is nowhere near as recognizable as Cloud, which is my point. You might not personally associate Persona with SMT, and I totally get that stance, but they are still part of the same franchise and Joker is by far the most globally recognizable character from said franchise as a whole, eclipsing even Jack at this point.

Like, FF could have totally been represented well by a Black Mage, and it would even represent Nintendo’s specific history with the series far better, but it wouldn’t be the most famous character of the franchise, which is what Sakurai went for.

...Anyway, back to Geno:

Super Mario RPG is among the 21 preinstalled games on the SNES Classic Edition released in September 2017, but missing right now on the 20 games of the SNES for Switch Online.

I think that when Geno gets revealed as character #75 or mostly as #76, he may also come with Super Mario RPG added to the library on the Switch.

With all the stuff:
-No Costume yet
-2 songs copyrighted (same way as Megalovania did)
-Truly fan service seen (Banjo, Ridley, KingKRool)
-More than 20 years of demand
-Perfect design and moveset for Smash
-Inkling, Chrom, KKR and Isabelle were from being costumes in Smash Wii U to being fighters in Ultimate (Geno missing). And on the other hand: Ridley, KKR and Banjo already did it. (Geno missing). So in both cases Geno will close both situations. All of those Miis would be playable now; and we would be 4/4 full of the “never evers”.

His costume in Wii U even had a splash screen. Geno in Wii U was like Sans right now. And also, I don’t think these 2 characters (Geno and Sans) would have the same moveset under the Mii Gunner. It’s time for Geno to be playable and unique, he will be 24 years next year. I have zero doubts that Geno is on the way! I just hope to see his reveal in November or December, but anyway he should be playable by 2020. That’s my guessing!

Smash Ultimate is already perfect (even considering it without DLC), but with Banjo there and even more DLC coming after character #5, the final thing I am asking it’s Geno being a fighter!

Anyway, I’m grateful and this game is 100% good, but with Geno there it will be even more unbelievable.

Geno Awakens! (Can you imagine that we could have Super Mario RPG on the Switch + Geno in Smash + Geno amiibo?)

#76? Nah, you’re one off, he’s got to be #77, due to the play on the game’s title, it’d be perfect. Just imagine: “Super Smash Bros: Legend of the 77th Star!”

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Demifiend is nowhere near as recognizable as Cloud, which is my point. You might not personally associate Persona with SMT, and I totally get that stance, but they are still part of the same franchise and Joker is by far the most globally recognizable character from said franchise as a whole, eclipsing even Jack at this point.

Like, FF could have totally been represented well by a Black Mage, and it would even represent Nintendo’s specific history with the series far better, but it wouldn’t be the most famous character of the franchise, which is what Sakurai went for.
I didn't say he was, but out of all the smt protagonists he is definitely the most recognizable and nocturne seems to be most peoples favorite. And I don't associate them because they aren't related beyond being atlus rpgs. The SMT moniker was only added to the other titles as a marketing gimmick exclusively for the western releases which they don't even do anymore. Joker is definitely the most recognizable persona character, likely out of all atlus ip too, and smash will immortalize that regardless of where people's opinions would have swayed in the future a lot like roy, but joker is about as much an SMT character as he's a last bible or ronde character

that said I would have taken the jack bros over joker in smash in a heartbeat y'all can fight me

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Geno has never been one of my top picks or anything, but I've been playing the series since the N64 days and Geno fans have always stayed strong and vocal all these years.

I definitely think you guys are gonna get him this time. I just feel it. Maybe not as the final character in the fighters pass, but I think he'll get added eventually.

QQS

Smash Lord

...Anyway, back to Geno:

#76? Nah, you’re one off, he’s got to be #77, due to the play on the game’s title, it’d be perfect. Just imagine: “Super Smash Bros: Legend of the 77th Star!”
#77 sounds a good pick for him; but anyway, being the Character #76 would make him the real “7th Star” as the 7th DLC of the game (first the Plant, then the five of the pass and finally Geno).

Anyway, it’s just a number/name game word. The only thing important is Geno to be playable :)

D

Deleted member

Do you guys think Square is more on board on Geno than ever? If you ask me, I think Square is more be happy after FF and DQ are in Smash.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys think Square is more on board on Geno than ever? If you ask me, I think Square is more be happy after FF and DQ are in Smash.
They got their 2 big franchises in, so I don't think they'd be opposed to Geno. Especially since Smash is doing a wonderful job in helping boost Dragon Quest here in the west on top of Square and Nintendo having a really good relationship currently. I think they'd be completely on board to put him in, especially if the costume sold well

Edit: rewording

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I just thought of scary realistic scenario for Geno. After all this time hoping the costume doesn’t return, we get another Square Enix character which is, Lara Croft. Smash is a celebration of video games and Tomb Raider has big history with Lara Croft being the most iconic female character. Although, it might be possible to get both at the same time. For Sakurai, this is fan demand vs significance. But then again, we already had DQ for being a cultural phenomenon and JRPG grandfather though and we should get the costumes back sooner than later if they’re planning to add Lara Croft.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I just thought of scary realistic scenario for Geno. After all this time hoping the costume doesn’t return, we get another Square Enix character which is, Lara Croft. Smash is a celebration of video games and Tomb Raider has big history with Lara Croft being the most iconic female character. Although, it might be possible to get both at the same time. For Sakurai, this is fan demand vs significance. But then again, we already had DQ for being a cultural phenomenon and JRPG grandfather though and we should get the costumes back sooner than later if they’re planning to add Lara Croft.
No one in Japan cares about Tomb Raider. If he cared about significance Terry wouldn't be in the game. There's also nothing interesting or unique that Lara Croft could bring to the game moveset wise that isn't already covered.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
No one in Japan cares about Tomb Raider. If he cared about significance Terry wouldn't be in the game. There's also nothing interesting or unique that Lara Croft could bring to the game moveset wise that isn't already covered.
>Not caring about significance in gaming
>Picking Terry Bogard

Pick one, because they are functionally mutually exclusive.

Also, while I have you on the phone, you seem to have a real talent for searching the internet to find things. I was wondering if you could chalk up some time into researching when remixes of BotFM really started to take off and maybe we could find out what triggered it.

D

Deleted member

Lara is not as well known but I’ve seen good sales on the PS4. I agree on the move set though, she probably has nothing brand new to Smash. While not every third party might not be significant, but there may definitely be more. The best thing about King of Fighters was being a rival to Street Fighter II and a heavy influence to Latin American gaming.

Last edited by a moderator:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I don't think we have to worry about that because I honestly don't believe Lara Croft would get in the game. I've said any character is possible but I remember that Sakurai said he won't put Pac-Man in Smash Bros if Namco gave him the new redesign Ghostly Adventures. With Lara Craft we had Classic Lara with her two pistols and then we got Modern Lara who games are all origin stories. I feel like with Modern Lara people just stop caring for her, especially after her third game where she becomes the Tomb Raider again (that game came and went really quickly). I can see that if Square offer Lara Craft it would be the Modern Lara and Sakurai might want the Classic Lara. But also yeah, barely anyone in Japan cares about Tomb Raiders and Sakurai really goes have a bias.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Geno3.gif

Geno if he was in Mario 3

First attempt. LOL

Edit:

Geno-3-2.gif

Version 2

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
So, I've started doing a big write-up for Square Enix and Smash Bros. that examines the reality behind the perception of Square Enix as a "stingy" company in terms of working with Super Smash Bros. and Sakurai. I know I'm a bit infamous for longer posts around here, but this is going to be a bit more structured, edited, and split into chunks through spoilers to more easily digest than my usual posts. I will forewarn anybody interested that it's going to be a longer read.. but I think it's very interesting to fundamentally examine the place of Square Enix in Smash and maybe change the perception people have on the company's place as an "unwilling partner" or whatever have you.

I'll be working on it this week and I'll try to get a good version of it posted as soon as possible. I think this sort of thing indirectly helps Geno by really digging in deep to what Square Enix has been in Smash and maybe opening up people's minds to them being a more willing participant than people may have initially thought.

link2702

Smash Champion
At work so making this quick.

You know you are a SMRPG nerd when you hum Here's Some Weapons when walking to your locker on break.

Now to blow some minds: Fight Against And Armed Boss and Here's Some Weapons are the same song.

Its amazing what a shift in tone can do. Life lessons by SMRPG ladies and gents.
I never noticed this till now...

Course it wasn’t just tone but tempo, and rhythm, so it’s not easy to tell unless you really pay attention. Definitely not blatantly obvious like super Mario worlds music was.

Gah damnit now I’m gonna notice it every time I play...

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Also, while I have you on the phone, you seem to have a real talent for searching the internet to find things. I was wondering if you could chalk up some time into researching when remixes of BotFM really started to take off and maybe we could find out what triggered it.
I'm going off of memory here so this might seem like a really roundabout timeline but here goes

So way back in 2001, a sprite webcomic called 8-bit Theater began. It was very popular for years, and everyone and their grandma was making sprite comics as a result. The video game music remix community also appeared around the same time, with a guy named Joe Redifer being an early pioneer in the genre.

In 2002, a Newgrounds animator named LegendaryFrog produced a cartoon called FF Tribute - Chocobo Mix using Redifer's "ROBOVoice" rendition of FFV's Chocobo Theme as the music. The preloader and intro referenced 8-Bit Theater, and the cartoon wound up being wildly popular on Newgrounds.

A couple years after that, in 2004, a guy named XBrav (aka Brian Baker, who was a Super Mario RPG fan and had produced multiple remixes of the Forest Mushrooms theme) saw the LegendaryFrog cartoon, and tried his own hand at ROBOVoice. He made the original version of what is now called Rawest Forest in that year.

In 2007, a guy named Martin Hagwall recorded the rap version of Rawest Forest. A couple months later, Kirbopher (Chris Niosi) produced the Rawest Forest animation we all know. It was really popular and likely the genesis of future remixes.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I didn't say he was, but out of all the smt protagonists he is definitely the most recognizable and nocturne seems to be most peoples favorite. And I don't associate them because they aren't related beyond being atlus rpgs. The SMT moniker was only added to the other titles as a marketing gimmick exclusively for the western releases which they don't even do anymore. Joker is definitely the most recognizable persona character, likely out of all atlus ip too, and smash will immortalize that regardless of where people's opinions would have swayed in the future a lot like roy, but joker is about as much an SMT character as he's a last bible or ronde character

that said I would have taken the jack bros over joker in smash in a heartbeat y'all can fight me
Both series draw from the same mutual pool of Personas/demons, both have similar turn-based combat though Persona’s is certainly far simpler, both share quite a few attack types, and both have extremely similar fusion mechanics. Unless you’re specifically saying that all Atlus RPGs have these aspects and I’m just unaware, there are quite a few relations between the two series.

Back on topic, I could honestly see them just immediately starting off the extra DLC with a double announcement of Waluigi and Geno. You have two absolutely massive Mario-series requests that they could “get out of the way” for other series, it would keep Geno at that neat #77 number, and his relative obscurity to the general populace could be washed away by the cries of “HOLY **** WALUIGI’S IN AND ALSO THIS PUPPET THING LOOKS COOL.”

Plus, it’d have the fun effect of immediately shutting down the two most popular fan rules, kicking the speculation doors even wider open.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Back on topic, I could honestly see them just immediately starting off the extra DLC with a double announcement of Waluigi and Geno. You have two absolutely massive Mario-series requests that they could “get out of the way” for other series, it would keep Geno at that neat #77 number, and his relative obscurity to the general populace could be washed away by the cries of “HOLY **** WALUIGI’S IN AND ALSO THIS PUPPET THING LOOKS COOL.”

Plus, it’d have the fun effect of immediately shutting down the two most popular fan rules, kicking the speculation doors even wider open.
I want this only for the bizarre combination of salt, hype, and everything in between.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Mallow.png

Can't finish it tonight, but Mallow is going to turn out ...interesting

T2by4

Smash Lord
Saw a bunch of support from other Geno fans on twitter today with some cool artwork and support posts. Looks like the word is spreading. Great to see our influence growing bigger.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
I don't think its fair to say that there is nothing unique about Lara Croft. Just because she wouldn't have 'flashy' specials doesn't mean she can't be unique. She could have a fun Survival mechanic based on the later iterations of Lara where she builds Bows, arrows, tomahawks, etc.
EDIT: also Source on Japan not caring about Tomb Raider because I did a quick google search and found that it was top 4 in charts for a bit.

A characters moveset does not have to something not covered or they wouldn't introduce new characters at all. What does Geno bring that isn't already in Smash? its a silly question.

Sounds a little ranty sorry :p

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I don't think its fair to say that there is nothing unique about Lara Croft. Just because she wouldn't have 'flashy' specials doesn't mean she can't be unique. She could have a fun Survival mechanic based on the later iterations of Lara where she builds Bows, arrows, tomahawks, etc.
EDIT: also Source on Japan not caring about Tomb Raider because I did a quick google search and found that it was top 4 in charts for a bit.

A characters moveset does not have to something not covered or they wouldn't introduce new characters at all. What does Geno bring that isn't already in Smash? its a silly question.

Sounds a little ranty sorry :p
I get where you’re coming from, but at the same time Geno might not be the best example to use since most here are in some sort of agreement that he’d utilize timed hits.

I’m legitimately curious, since I’m not too familiar with the series: What could Lara bring, as an example?

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Both series draw from the same mutual pool of Personas/demons, both have similar turn-based combat though Persona’s is certainly far simpler, both share quite a few attack types, and both have extremely similar fusion mechanics. Unless you’re specifically saying that all Atlus RPGs have these aspects and I’m just unaware, there are quite a few relations between the two series.

Yeah all the games they make share a lot common features and the demons are cycled around like Pokemon regions. I could make a Venn diagram-esque breakdown on which games use what mechanics but that's not really appropriate for the geno thread. The demons are the only thing in every single game and the turn based combat and sword/gun/magic/extra menu system are not far behind and are still usually implemented in some way when there's a genre shift, and the demon recruiting and fusing was actually just brought back for 5 after being absent since the new series direction which leads me to believe they want persona to become the new mainline series but that's a different discussion entirely. Typically there all referred to as the "megaten series" but frankly I think reducing it all to spinoffs from 2 fc games that were just novel adaptations few know and fewer have played is a bit insulting so I avoid saying that despite causing confusion sometimes. That said they put out a demo for a metroidvania(amazing game everyone go play it) a few years back so this description might have to change again sometime in the future.

As much as a geno waluigi could become the hypest thing they ever did I just can't shake the feeling wa just isn't going to make it. From the perspective of some corporate suit he's just a b/c lister they didn't even create and I just have a hard time believing anyone without our perspective would think he could be as profitable for dlc as just picking more random notable 3rd party leads, sure geno is way more obscure but at least he has massive sakurai bias on his side. I hope I'm wrong about that because his fans deserve it at this point and I'd love to hope for characters that are also assists

Last edited:

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
I’m not sure if this was already discussed earlier, but assuming Geno is revealed as one of the upcoming DLC, what do you think the chances are that he’d be included in the next Smash game?

I know Sakurai has mentioned that this kind of roster is probably a one-time thing...Which side of that coin do you think Geno would fall on?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I’m not sure if this was already discussed earlier, but assuming Geno is revealed as one of the upcoming DLC, what do you think the chances are that he’d be included in the next Smash game?

I know Sakurai has mentioned that this kind of roster is probably a one-time thing...Which side of that coin do you think Geno would fall on?
Unless he sells even more than anyone could ever expect, I'd think that his inclusion would be solely for Ultimate, especially if Square isn't on board next time.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

I don’t think getting at least a few third party characters back is going to be that much of a stretch considering how popular some of those characters are.I think it very much depends on sales as well as whether or not Nintendo/SE decide they like the response to him getting in and therefore put him in other Mario games. I think if Geno becomes a Mario regular I could see him making another smash appearance.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've said it before but I'm pretty sure if there's another Smash game after Ultimate, it's gonna cut like 100% of the niche characters people actually love. We'll still have 3 Links and every Fire Emblem lord but only the most commercially relevant third parties will remain. I doubt we'll even keep Mega Man, iconic as he is should be considered.

We get Geno? Ultimate will become every Geno fan's Melee. Really, I think roster size is a huge part of Smash. When 64 came out with 12 characters, we were impressed because we didn't know any better. It's only gotten bigger and bigger, and to think that it'd be made smaller wouldn't resonate with anyone except people who have never played a Smash game.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
I can't even count the amount of times I've seen "it's not about Pokemon" posted in regards to the Starling.

I think it was Terry all along and "it isn't about King of Fighters" is S Tier redirection because it's actually about Fatal Fury.
Nope Fatman confirmed that Terry is not the bird.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Guys, I heard about a huge leek. Need to share it here!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Guys, I heard about a huge leek. Need to share it here!

This is huge and everyone should know about it.

I'M SO HAPPY HE LOOKS SO GOOD I'M SO GODDAMN HAPPY FARFETCH'D FINALLY HAS AN EVOLUTION AND IT'S BETTER THAN I EVER COULD HAVE IMAGINED!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom