• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

link2702

Smash Champion
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out normal and Smash attacks for Geno but I had an interesting take.

For Smash attacks, what if Mallow appears similar to how Toad shows up for Peach. But in this case, Mallow be his Smash attacks.

He would have a forward Smash like him slamming the Sonic Cymbals and Geno and Mallow would represent one character.

Geno's specials are completely realized but I am having the toughest time figuring out his standard attacks without 'taking ideas' from his PM version
Yeah I honestly don’t want mallow to show up as part of geno’s moveset. I feel there’s plenty to work with, without having mallow tag along. His rocket punches and hand gun and arm cannon can all be used in some way for smashes, and his finger shot could be a multihit jab

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Found this on Twitter. I'd be satisfied with this lineup. Don't know much about Elma but I'd love the first four to death
I don't just want a season of upgraded characters regardless of my individual opinions on them. It would be such an anti-climax to the overall picture of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. I'm fine with some upgrades happening obviously, but they need to be sprinkled in with new characters and surprises, not the focus.

Also, we have a thread up on ResetERA specifically about Geno in Smash... Some of it's not so great... but I do appreciate some of the people coming out to support him properly.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I don't just want a season of upgraded characters regardless of my individual opinions on them. It would be such an anti-climax to the overall picture of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. I'm fine with some upgrades happening obviously, but they need to be sprinkled in with new characters and surprises, not the focus.

Also, we have a thread up on ResetERA specifically about Geno in Smash... Some of it's not so great... but I do appreciate some of the people coming out to support him properly.
i'm not going to click that

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
i'm not going to click that
Hence the spoiler and aforementioned warning. ResetERA isn't the worst place for us as a fan base. The Smash thread usually tends to be pretty supportive of Geno in Smash, especially with the announcement of more DLC characters there has been a recent upswing in confidence and support for him and generally no worse than apathy. So this one took me a bit my surprise, but I thought I'd share all the same since it was happening. I tried my best to put a good foot forward for Geno in terms of at least being a "legitimately supported fan pick" though haha.

D

Deleted member

It’s gonna be good to see Resetera, 4chan, and Gamefaqs having an epic meltdown when Geno gets revealed. I’m gonna enjoy every single salt.

Forgive me if that sounds toxic..

Last edited by a moderator:

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure Capcom owns everything related to Breath of Fire and they don't have to consult Square in the least bit to do as they wish with the game.[/QUOTE]

Do you still think square would still allow smrpg on the switch? I hope so.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
It’s gonna be good to see Resetera, 4chan, and Gamefaqs having an epic meltdown when Geno gets revealed. I’m gonna enjoy every single salt.
I feel like it's probably better to just enjoy the moment of Geno getting into Smash for what the victory it is as opposed to the "savoring the tears of the haters" type approach.

D

Deleted member

I feel like it's probably better to just enjoy the moment of Geno getting into Smash for what the victory it is as opposed to the "savoring the tears of the haters" type approach.
if Geno taught me anything, it's that there's no victory like going to your enemy's home base and laughing in their face, then disappearing forever.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Man, I would genuinely love it if all of the remaining DLC characters after our 5th were spirits. If only to finally put that argument to rest, even if Geno wasn't one of them.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Even if we get mostly 3rd party characters I think we are going to get at least 1 or 2 first party ones. I also think we are going to get at least 1 more fan request with this dlc.
Makes me wonder exactly the details for how they'll do DLC next year. Will they do another individual bonus DLC + another Fighters Pass like this year? If they follow the Piranha Plant set up every year, they could easily insert some 1st party character from a pre existing franchise every year and reserve the pass for 3rd parties. If they really support this game in the long run, we can get some of the fun most requested 1st parties that way while also keeping the focus on bringing in new franchises. That is if they go this route. Who knows how they'll distribute it from here on out

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
If it were up to me I'd alternate one recent character and a fan request, possibly released at the same time to maximize adoption of the "literally who" fan requests.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
The farthest I will go is share my "30 year old Boomer party at 3:00am" video

But you are totally right. There won't be a single toxic part of my body if Geno was to get in. Although, I do want a collage of all the 'detractor posts' to make up this image some day.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/fbw4agFHBlY/maxresdefault.jpg

Maybe once I am done partying, I might work on it.

T2by4

Smash Lord

Isn't resetera that forum full of pedo's? Gonna have to pass on that one.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Isn't resetera that forum full of pedo's? Gonna have to pass on that one.
Exactly what are you basing that assumption on??? As far as I know it's just another forum and all the stuff I've ever seen on it has frowned upon plenty of thing that should be frowned upon.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Joke's on you, you see the planet in the background when Sandbag launches.

What I'm saying is Earth is the fifth Fighter's Pass rep, obviously.
You're wrong! It's Captain Planet that's fighter #5. :4pacman:

Found this on Twitter. I'd be satisfied with this lineup. Don't know much about Elma but I'd love the first four to death
I would squeal in excitement like a school girl if Shantae, Geno, Bandana Dee, Rayman, and Elma were all our next fighters after fighter #5.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I don't think indie characters will have a chance of being playable characters if Shovel Knight and Sans couldn't make it to playable. I could see a Indie mii costume lineup with one music for each that will shatter the hearts of many.

Shantae = Mii Brawler
Shovel Knight = Mii Swordfighter
Hollow Knight = Mii Swordfighter
and whoever else
You're wrong! It's Captain Planet that's fighter #5. :4pacman:
You jest but you can play as Captain Planet in Cartoon Network punchtime explosion and he plays exactly like Captain Falcon down to the knee smash.

D

Deleted member

I could see a Indie mii costume lineup with one music for each that will shatter the hearts of many.

Shantae = Mii Brawler
and whoever else
I definitely know that a Shantae Mii costume would come with "We Love Burning Town" from Pirate's Curse, whether that be a remix or direct port. Not sure about the other two, as I haven't played their games.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Is it really? Dude's a massive DQ fan, and we get a DQ character. Talks about how much he loved Persona 5 (a game STILL not on Nintendo systems), and we get Joker. Explains how much KoF meant for him during the formative days before Smash, and suddenly a character from a series (while admittedly iconic) that has never been extremely relevant to Nintendo and certainly isn't a huge promotional move randomly gets announced?

I think most people are UNDERSELLING his influence on the DLC.

I understand why certain details about the deal can be misconstrued (Sony has a noted history of intentionally misleading/straight-up lying to the public about the particulars regarding their use of Spider-Man and the nature of their deal with Marvel), but painting Disney as some unreasonable party in the Spidey fallout is just not accurate.

Sony wanted TEN BILLION DOLLARS for the Spidey film rights. For context, that is more than what Disney paid for Marvel and Lucasfilm COMBINED. It would take over a DECADE for them to recoup the money they'd spend on those rights, assuming everything went perfect.

When Disney proposed a 25% deal that would allow the other Sony films to be part of the MCU (so Venom, Morbius, etc. would all be official MCU projects and produced by Kevin Feige, the Marvel Studios head who developed Homecoming and FFH for Sony), Sony didn't respond for MONTHS before going public with the deal's collapse. Then they tried to spin the story as an amicable split due to Kevin Feige not having enough time to work on Spidet due to the Phase 4 MCU slate, which was later confirmed to be complete, fabricated bull.

This is all to say that the image Disney has recently garnered (as some kind of monstrous entity to negotiate with) has been purposely cultivated by Sony to avoid the inevitable public backlash from their backing out of the deal. It can't be used as evidence for Geno's likeliness over Sora.

I know HISTORICALLY speaking, the GCN era is seen as a stumbling point for Nintendo, but I feel like that was the best exclusive lineup of the generation. Seriously, think back on that lineup!

I mean, yes, but there are plenty of examples in Smash of Sakurai going "yeah but this dude would be fun!" despite being newer. Honestly, 2B is in a VERY similar position to Joker (newer protagonist from a JRPG with widespread acclaim that garnered considerable Western popularity and was developed by a company on good terms with Nintendo)

Persona just has the edge of being one of Sakurai's pet passions.

Nintendo gives options, Sakurai picks from the options.

Or do you guys really think that 3 of the DLC picks from Nintendo COINCIDENTALLY aligned with Sakurai's passions while ALSO barely promoting Nintendo as a company/brand?
From what you said, it's clear you haven't read what he said.
Nintendo doesn't give a list of chars and Sakurai chooses. Nintendo already chose the chars and he gives the approval in terms of feasibility.
I do think it aligned, because those are series that are also extremely popular and relevant to each of the companies involved.
The DLC was expressed to be an opportunity to bring new fanbases into Smash, to introduce them to Nintendo franchises.
And don't forget, with the exception of Persona 5 currently, we have either chars that part of strong support for Nintendo or they have some evidence that they are coming in the future.

The next time I hear anyone here act like Square Enix is this evil company that just wants money, I'm going to post Max's most recent video on the TGS footage that shows off Ifrit in FF7R. Then I will follow it up with his video where he was told BY THE DEVS that they used HIS REACTION VIDEO as a means of IMPROVING MORALE IN THE WORKPLACE!

Square Enix is not evil, They just have a landslide of iconic characters and franchises and are constantly in need of money due to how they handle development (for better or worse) and if those things get tarnished they have nothing.

You would be overprotective of your assets too.
Best post I've read this week.
Tired of seeing this cheap gossip from Smash fans saying "Square is stingy and they hate Nintendo".
There is no basis in fact on this. The situation in Smash 4 was different from today, and with DQ, which is more expensive to license in Japan compared to FF, due to government related reasons, we still got spirits, 8 tracks and 4 heroes as alts with 2 colors each.
If we got another FF char today or any other new franchise, I'm sure they would be a lot more cooperative and willing to promote than 4 years ago.
Not even mentioning Geno, the amount of stuff they would give is easily good enough for people to enjoy.

Last edited:

OffBi

Smash Ace
I don't think indie characters will have a chance of being playable characters if Shovel Knight and Sans couldn't make it to playable. I could see a Indie mii costume lineup with one music for each that will shatter the hearts of many.

Shantae = Mii Brawler
and whoever else

You jest but you can play as Captain Planet in Cartoon Network punchtime explosion and he plays exactly like Captain Falcon down to the knee smash.
Are we talking about Indie MII costumes?
If so, let me present you with this!

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Ok, so, after reading ResetEra, do...do people not know what the word "meme" means? I can't fathom how Geno = Meme. I should make a video explaining Geno for Smash

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Ok, so, after reading ResetEra, do...do people not know what the word "meme" means? I can't fathom how Geno = Meme. I should make a video explaining Geno for Smash
'Character I don't see the appeal of' translates to 'meme' nowadays.

As an old internet fogey who's been deep in the trenches since I was nine, I'm so done with how 'meme' has lost all of its meaning.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
I don't know either. I'm thinking that it's because people see Geno as a joke character that'll never get in. I swear there are just as much Geno haters as Geno supporters and it makes me sad. I wouldn't be so angry about it if the haters didn't attack the supporters. It's okay to have opinions but you shouldn't attack others because you disagree with each other.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Shado-will Shado-will , naturally there will be a lot, even more “haters” than supporters since most of those are people who either didn’t grow up with nor played Mario RPG. When it comes to hype or fans supporting characters people don’t understand, their curiosity about it can quickly grow to hate or irritation if “they don’t get it” or can’t/won’t feel passionate about it.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
If it were up to me I'd alternate one recent character and a fan request, possibly released at the same time to maximize adoption of the "literally who" fan requests.
But how many fan requests could you add until it interferes with just the regular characters that were going to be added anyway? I guess you could say that's the point when all fan requests have been exhausted, but it still seems a bit off to me.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
But still, we need Cartoon represention in Smash. :4pacman:
You know, they have been saying Lightning McQueen is actually a video game character and not a movie character. Cars had a tie in game and it managed to release 3 days before the movie even aired.

Also, there is a twitter bracket going around for the fun of it. If you are a fan of Geno, feel free to take part and vote for him. He's up against Rex and Pyra. Feel free to show your support and contribute in a positive way!

https://twitter.com/NoponDigi/status/1173245082411118595?s=19

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I don't know either. I'm thinking that it's because people see Geno as a joke character that'll never get in. I swear there are just as much Geno haters as Geno supporters and it makes me sad. I wouldn't be so angry about it if the haters didn't attack the supporters. It's okay to have opinions but you shouldn't attack others because you disagree with each other.
I honestly think the haters are just a very, very vocal minority compared to how many people actually like Geno (or are, at worst, indifferent to him). There will always be people who feel the need to speak out against a popular thing they don't really care about just to be "special". I've said it before, but I really feel like the silent majority stands with Geno and his fans at this point. We just need to keep that support going into the future.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Which is a Super Mario series game...?
No, it's Mario RPG title, which is never branded like a Mario series game and has no representation in Smash period outside of one move in Piranha Plant's arsenal. Miyamoto's apparent "recent" distaste for the Mario RPGs is what I think may be Geno's biggest obstacle.

That's something I feel like is important to mention when people think Sakurai's use of the word "collaborations" to mean only third parties - Sora, Sakurai's company, is hired to develop Smash, Nintendo's property, but can't just throw characters in however they choose without working with Nintendo or the studios that have some stake in a character. Pokemon is the obvious one here, since The Pokemon Company has 50% stake in Pokemon. No Pokemon gets added on Nintendo's word alone, amd even their alternate costumes are not Sakurai's decision. A lesser example would be characters we consider "Nintendo" characters, but have a little more to them, like Shulk (Monolith), Isaac (Camelot) or even Kirby characters, since Sakurai doesn't really have any say over the franchise since he isn't part of HAL anymore.

"Collaboration" can happen in what we consider an "internal" situation as much as externally.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
No, it's Mario RPG title, which is never branded like a Mario series game and has no representation in Smash period outside of one move in Piranha Plant's arsenal. Miyamoto's apparent "recent" distaste for the Mario RPGs is what I think may be Geno's biggest obstacle.
And a Mario RPG game is, in fact, a Mario game, is it not? I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make here.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Aren’t there some Mario RPG spirits? Not the Geno and Mallow ones but, y’know. I know there were some that used a game’s name or the name of one of the RPG series instead of “Super Mario series.”

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord

That's something I feel like is important to mention when people think Sakurai's use of the word "collaborations" to mean only third parties - Sora, Sakurai's company, is hired to develop Smash, Nintendo's property, but can't just throw characters in however they choose without working with Nintendo or the studios that have some stake in a character. Pokemon is the obvious one here, since The Pokemon Company has 50% stake in Pokemon. No Pokemon gets added on Nintendo's word alone, amd even their alternate costumes are not Sakurai's decision. A lesser example would be characters we consider "Nintendo" characters, but have a little more to them, like Shulk (Monolith), Isaac (Camelot) or even Kirby characters, since Sakurai doesn't really have any say over the franchise since he isn't part of HAL anymore.

"Collaboration" can happen in what we consider an "internal" situation as much as externally.
Where was it stated Miyamoto has a “distaste” for Mario RPG games? I hadn’t heard of that before.

Last edited:

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
And a Mario RPG game is, in fact, a Mario game, is it not? I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make here.
In smash the geno and mallow spirits say they are from SMRPG. While most of the other mario charaters are just labeled as Super Mario.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
When they included Geno's Mii costume in the last game, they very specifically highlighted it as Super Smash Bros X Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, not just the generic Super Mario moniker. Which makes some sense, it's a Square Enix (at least partially) owned title that has to be acknowledged as separate from the existing Mario content since it does for all intensive purposes exist in its own little dimension and does not tie into anything else Mario related.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Exactly what are you basing that assumption on??? As far as I know it's just another forum and all the stuff I've ever seen on it has frowned upon plenty of thing that should be frowned upon.
Based off of evidence of leaked messages from the admins of the website sharing and discussing about their interest in, well, kids. And not in a good way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom