• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I have to agree with the sentiment that the fighters pass has been lackluster for me personally. Don't get me wrong I am happy for fans of the series that got represented but none of the characters appealed to me. Joker was the closest because I have played SMT but I didn't know who Joker was. I might give Dragon Quest a try now that more games are on the Switch if I can move the money around for it. But yeah I have no interest in other fighting games, I don't see me getting into Persona, I don't really have a way to get into Banjo and at this point the games may be too dated for me to want to try.

That being said, I definitely understand how each DLC choice is appealing to a large playerbase from different areas of the world and/or gaming experience. I also understand that the characters I really want are either niche or don't have a huge or active fanbase. I mean Geno is my number one most wanted character and he definitely is niche. I also want more cartoony characters like Crash and Rayman or characters you wouldn't typically see in a fighting game like Frisk and Spyro. I know it's not all about what I want tho. I did already get Ridley and K Rool and Simon/Richter so I am more than satisfied with Ultimate's roster. I can't help but wish I would get at least one DLC character I actually want tho because I do want to keep supporting this game. At least each character has been really fun to play so far. I look forward to trying Banjo (and writing my letter for the letter writing campaign) when I get home tomorrow.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'm sure Sakurai is really pushing for Geno and Nintendo is probably somewhat aware of the requests for him. it's just that we don't know where Square Enix stands with Geno. We don't know if they want Geno or if they're more interested in getting their other characters in first.

D

Deleted member

I'm sure Sakurai is really pushing for Geno and Nintendo is probably somewhat aware of the requests for him. it's just that we don't know where Square Enix stands with Geno. We don't know if they want Geno or if they're more interested in getting their other characters in first.
What other characters? Kingdom Hearts sells itself, Dragon Quest needed the boost in popularity and Cloud was... I guess he was symbolic. The Mii costume, the splash screen, the music, the music takedowns...

Square's on board.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I’ve started to look at Smash Bros. as a “Video Games Hall of Fame.” Just about every developer wants their character represented in Smash not only for monetary purposes but also as a form of prestige, “We’ll be going up against the best of the best,” as Morgana states in the Joker trailer.

If you look at any high end achievement, whether it’s the Academy Awards or sports Hall of Fames, there’s always going to be a gradient. There are only so many Citizen Kanes or Babe Ruths, but that doesn’t diminish others that make it in even if they’re not immediately recognizable.

Street Fighter 2 and Third Strike are two of the greatest fighting games of all time. However, from the perspective of a broad fan of gaming and of the medium’s history it’s hard to deny the impact of Fatal Fury/King of Fighters.

I also view Smash as an excuse to try new games and series. Persona 5 was the first SMT series game that I’ve played, and Joker quickly became the highly wanted character I never knew I had. Simon and Richter inspired me to finally play through Symphony of the Night, and I ended up 100%ing it. So, I think there’s also a desire to expose people to games and genres that they’re unfamiliar with. On the flip side, some of my younger cousins that were rooting for Steve absolutely loved the Banjo trailer. They’ve been asking me about the character at family gatherings, and have been pestering their parents about buying an Xbox ever since.

Circling back to Geno, it’s been interesting to see how many people over this past year have popped into the thread to say that Geno’s unending support inspired them to try Mario RPG. Geno’s not even a fighter (yet)! While we may not get every character on our lists, from the perspective of “Video Games: The Game” Smash Ultimate’s roster is pretty darn incredible.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
What other characters? Kingdom Hearts sells itself, Dragon Quest needed the boost in popularity and Cloud was... I guess he was symbolic. The Mii costume, the splash screen, the music, the music takedowns...

Square's on board.
They could very well get Sora on board before Geno if they wanted to. Maybe Crono could get in if Square Enix wanted to do a revival for that game (I wish). Sephiroth even? Hell they could even want Lara Croft or Adam Jensen if they own the rights to Deus Ex.

Geno could get in but we just don't know if Square Enix wants Geno. The music take downs could end up meaning he returns as a Mii costume which I hope won't happen but you get the idea. I'm more confident that he will be a character but there are some lingering concerns that come with it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

They could very well get Sora on board before Geno if they wanted to. Maybe Crono could get in if Square Enix wanted to do a revival for that game (I wish). Sephiroth even? Hell they could even want Lara Croft or Adam Jensen if they own the rights to Deus Ex.

Geno could get in but we just don't know if Square Enix wants Geno. The music take downs could end up meaning he returns as a Mii costume which I hope won't happen but you get the idea. I'm more confident that he will be a character but there are some lingering concerns that come with it.
It really feels like to me when you look at the costumes that became fighters, and all the fanfare around him, to the point that it could have been seen as robbing from Cloud, he's a fighter. At this point, I think they're just waiting for the right time, whatever that is.

Not sure if Mario RPG showed up in a datamine for SNES online already, but if it does slightly before November or something, I'm holding onto my seat.

Firox

Smash Master
One way or another, I think the remaining DLC will speak volumes as to what Sakurai, Nintendo and SE's true intentions are for Geno. For example, if say:

-Geno doesn't appear in any way, shape or form, including via the already existing Mii costume, then one of those three entities flat out wants Geno dead. Period. This would be incredibly unlikely, and frankly stupid as far as I'm concerned, but it's the only conclusion we'd be able to draw from such an outcome.

-Geno appears as nothing more than his original Mii Costume, then Sakurai and likely at least one of the other two simply doesn't deem Geno worthy to be a full character but still wanted to make an easy buck and give a nod to his long-time fans.

-Geno appears with a newly revamped Mii costume of much higher quality a la Sans, complete with unique music tracks, etc., then pretty much the same as above but with a few caveats. Firstly, the increase in quality would mean that Sakurai genuinely WANTED to appeal to the fans and wanted to do more for Geno than just make an easy buck. Secondly, though, it would mean that either Nintendo or SE have expressly refused to make Geno a full character for whatever reason which could stand as a questionable omen for the future.

and

-Geno FINALLY makes full character status, meaning the stars aligned. In all honesty, I think the two most likely outcomes will be the second or fourth scenarios. At the very least, we should get the costume back. At the best, we obviously get Geno in full. Still, these are the only conclusions I could make from the given outcome.

Last edited:

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
I think we're in really good shape, there's a lot in our favor:

- The music take downs. They've all led to either a new costume or character, so Geno's must mean something too. It's just a matter of what we get out of it.

- Geno's past treatment. Sakurai likes his design, has been quoted what a great fit he'd be. He got a costume in WiiU/3DS Smash and it was done to the same level San's costume reveal in Ultimate was, more like a character reveal than a costume reveal. Costumes that had less fanfare have been upgraded like K Rool and Isabelle, so why not Geno?

Firox

Smash Master
Until November for Terry's "live" video:
I'm not gonna lie, whether we get Geno or not, if I have to say, "Who?" to the next DLC fighter, then I'm a-gonna be kinda irked.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is driving insane tbh lol. If Geno’s a costume, I feel that they should show him by now. And I wish they could just show him now...

D

Deleted member

I think Geno and Chocobo could of been shown at the Hero direct with other DQ costumes but then again, they’re promoting the upcoming game and that could be the reason why they’re missing.

Edit: Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I think Geno and Chocobo could of been shown at the Hero direct with other DQ costumes but then again, they’re promoting the upcoming game and that could be the reason why they’re missing.

Edit: Any thoughts?
Might wanna check out this post I wrote up earlier. It explains why I feel like this might not make much sense. While Cloud didn't have a new game to promote, he's a huge deal for Square, their golden boy... yet they still allowed Geno's costume to be shown with him, splash screen, fanfare, and all. Compare that to what could have been a muted presence with Hero and I can't say I feel this is the reason why.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

The more I think about it, the more I feel like Sora and Sepiroth are the two hurdles left for Geno and the two reasons I won¨t act like he is most likely in.

Sepiroth is rather explanatory. You can argue that he is the second poster boy for Final Fantasy and he is also a poster boy for iconic villains. We also have the upcoming remake which potentially goes for his favor (although they don¨t "need" Smash brothers for him the same way "Luminar" needed Smash), Sora is arguably a worldwide phenomenon, and people have been asking for quite some time too (although not as long as far as I know).

This is driving insane tbh lol. If Geno’s a costume, I feel that they should show him by now. And I wish they could just show him now...
While I wish I could agree with you, we also have to keep in mind that Golden Sun fans said the same thing about Isaac being playable because they haven¨t shown him as an Assist Trophy yet. If Geno and Chocobo costumes are returning when they reveal the last 5, it would more than likely be because of promoting DQ, and them not just doing square costumes two reveals in a row because of contract reasons or something.

Might wanna check out this post I wrote up earlier. It explains why I feel like this might not make much sense. While Cloud didn't have a new game to promote, he's a huge deal for Square, their golden boy... yet they still allowed Geno's costume to be shown with him, splash screen, fanfare, and all. Compare that to what could have been a muted presence with Hero and I can't say I feel this is the reason why.
Cloud didn¨t have an upcoming game on that console though... Dragon Quest has/had. They needed the spotlight more at the western side... Genos Mii Costume would just overshadow it here like how Sans Mii Costume did with Terry

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The more I think about it, the more I feel like Sora and Sepiroth are the two hurdles left for Geno and the two reasons I won¨t act like he is most likely in.

Sepiroth is rather explanatory. You can argue that he is the second poster boy for Final Fantasy and he is also a poster boy for iconic villains. We also have the upcoming remake which potentially goes for his favor (although they don¨t "need" Smash brothers for him the same way "Luminar" needed Smash), Sora is arguably a worldwide phenomenon, and people have been asking for quite some time too (although not as long as far as I know).

While I wish I could agree with you, we also have to keep in mind that Golden Sun fans said the same thing about Isaac being playable because they haven¨t shown him as an Assist Trophy yet. If Geno and Chocobo costumes are returning when they reveal the last 5, it would more than likely be because of promoting DQ, and them not just doing square costumes two reveals in a row because of contract reasons or something.

Cloud didn¨t have an upcoming game on that console though... Dragon Quest has/had. They needed the spotlight more at the western side... Genos Mii Costume would just overshadow it here.
Oh yea forget about Isaac

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Cloud didn¨t have an upcoming game on that console though... Dragon Quest has/had. They needed the spotlight more at the western side... Genos Mii Costume would just overshadow it here.
I already stated that Cloud didn't have an upcoming game and DQ did. That said, Cloud is a huge deal for Square, a character they handle with great care. If they weren't against potentially taking some hype away from Cloud with Geno's outfit, why would they care about that for DQ? They can see Smash's impact. An outfit, fan favorite or not, won't take away from that impact that DQ's inclusion in Smash has on the west.

Firox

Smash Master

I gotta admit, I'm really rooting for Geno, but if there's one SE character that I would be equally hyped out of my mind for, it would be Sephiroth. I think balancing the speed and length of his sword would be freaking ludicrous, but still, I would main that edgelord in a heartbeat.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Ridley supporters never died down, K. Rool supporters never died down, Geno supporters will never die down. I mean, look at this thread. By and far the biggest thread in Character Speculation. Being honest? If Geno doesn't make it in after this DLC, yeah, I'm giving up. It's been too long for me to keep getting my heart broken, but this struggle will never end. A new Geno fan is born every day.
Geno supporters died down heavily in the Smash 4 era. Like absolutely dropped off in comparison to Brawl and Ultimate. I'd also say that Ridley died pretty hard once Sakurai smacked him down in 2014-2015. Character support has a tendency to ebb and flow like that, so it's very hard to actually find any truly "consistent fan bases" anywhere.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I already stated that Cloud didn't have an upcoming game and DQ did. That said, Cloud is a huge deal for Square, a character they handle with great care. If they weren't against potentially taking some hype away from Cloud with Geno's outfit, why would they care about that for DQ? They can see Smash's impact. An outfit, fan favorite or not, won't take away from that impact that DQ's inclusion in Smash has on the west.
No offense to Geno but adding Cloud was groundbreaking... people around the world lost their **** about it because it felt like an "impossible request". It was the next Sonic/Snake scenario. Yes, people reacted towards the Mii Costume, but it was nothing compared to the "hype" that was Cloud being in Smash Brothers. And Square and Nintendo knew that which is why they show him off at the same time,

Dragon Quest, while being in Japan, is not that big in the West and its know that Square wants to push the franchise here. While Japan might not have reacted if Genos Mii costume was revealed at that release, it would be the talk for the town here in the west (the area that Square wants to push the franchise at), just like how Sans overshadowed Terry. And the talk/curiosity over that franchise would not be good marketing for the game. This is why I don¨t work to use clouds inclusion as a proof towards Genos Mii Costume

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Dragon Quest, while being in Japan, is not that big in the West and its know that Square wants to push the franchise here. While Japan might not have reacted if Genos Mii costume was revealed at that release, it would be the talk for the town here in the west (the area that Square wants to push the franchise at), just like how Sans overshadowed Terry. And the talk/curiosity over that franchise would not be good marketing for the game. This is why I don¨t work to use clouds inclusion as a proof towards Genos Mii Costume
I don't know about that. I think that's giving the Geno Mii costume a little too much credit. It's an old Mii costume port that everyone was expecting. It would have garnered some salt, but that's about it. Sans was a character no one thought would EVER get in Smash, represented in any form, yet he got a Mii costume with Megalovania out of the blue. For a lot of people, he's a meme, and for a lot of other people, he's a legitimately good character. Sans' costume blew up for a reason. I sincerely doubt Geno's, as loved as it was, would have gotten the same effect, especially not as a re-release.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I don't know about that. I think that's giving the Geno Mii costume a little too much credit. It's an old Mii costume port that everyone was expecting. It would have garnered some salt, but that's about it. Sans was a character no one thought would EVER get in Smash, represented in any form, yet he got a Mii costume with Megalovania out of the blue. For a lot of people, he's a meme, and for a lot of other people, he's a legitimately good character. Sans' costume blew up for a reason. I sincerely doubt Geno's, as loved as it was, would have gotten the same effect, especially not as a re-release.
Sure, no one thought Sans would get in. But yes, the re-release would be a big deal, because then we would have disappointed fans like us talk about it suck that he isn¨t truly in, on top of having the trolls having a field day. MAybe not as big as Sans, but it would be a big deal

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Sure, no one thought Sans would get in. But yes, the re-release would be a big deal, because then we would have disappointed fans like us talk about it suck that he isn¨t truly in, on top of having the trolls having a field day. MAybe not as big as Sans, but it would be a big deal
That's true, of course, but eh. I don't think I'd see it, let alone if SE would see it. We'll never know anyhow since this never came to pass, so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
To the people who are saying that they waited to show Issac AT that does not really apply to Geno. Remember Nintendo was shocked that people where mad about Issac being a at. That is probably why they did not care to show him early. Geno on the other hand both Nintendo and Sakurai know a lot of people want Geno so I doubt they would wait this long to show off an outfit. Also showing off AT in base game in a random order is very different then revealing Mii outfits for dlc.

Last edited:

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
Actually it was this.

There's no remix of the final battle theme of Banjo-Kazooie in Smash though.
I’m pretty sure the only reason that video was taken down was because the uploader was leaking Smash music during the time when the street dates were broken for Ultimate, and his/her channel got terminated.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
One vibe I get is there's going to be a lot of DLC for Ultimate.
Again, I rather they added characters for the rest of the Switch's lifespan or further instead of focusing on a new Smash.

I hope now that modes are done that there is less work needed to make characters.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
To the people who are saying that they waited to show Issac AT that does not really apply to Geno. Remember Nintendo was shocked that people where mad about Issac being a at. That is probably why they did not care to show him early. Geno on the other hand both Nintendo and Sakurai know a lot of people want Geno so I doubt they would wait this long to show off an outfit. Also showing off AT in base game in a random order is very different then revealing Mii outfits for dlc.
They were surprised about Banjo, so never say never.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
So like...

Has anyone considered the possibility that Sakurai/Nintendo decided to bring the Grinch Leak roster to life with this additional DLC after seeing all the excitement/disappointment it caused?

I mean, imagine if YOU were making a game and picking characters to add, and everyone THOUGHT you were adding certain characters and LOST THEIR **** with excitement. Turns out you WEREN'T using those characters, and everyone is heartbroken.

The game then comes out, and people are buying up every character you release, and there's clearly a demand for more characters.

Wouldn't those previous characters everybody got excited for come to mind? Wouldn't you think "hey, there's an extremely easy business opportunity here"?

This is assuming that the fighter's pass WAS the only DLC flat-out DECIDED before Ultimate's release, and that the recently-announced DLC slots are newer developments (which they almost definitely are)

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
So like...

Has anyone considered the possibility that Sakurai/Nintendo decided to bring the Grinch Leak roster to life with this additional DLC after seeing all the excitement/disappointment it caused?

I mean, imagine if YOU were making a game and picking characters to add, and everyone THOUGHT you were adding certain characters and LOST THEIR **** with excitement. Turns out you WEREN'T using those characters, and everyone is heartbroken.

The game then comes out, and people are buying up every character you release, and there's clearly a demand for more characters.

Wouldn't those previous characters everybody got excited for come to mind? Wouldn't you think "hey, there's an extremely easy business opportunity here"?

This is assuming that the fighter's pass WAS the only DLC flat-out DECIDED before Ultimate's release, and that the recently-announced DLC slots are newer developments (which they almost definitely are)
Highly unlikely...

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Highly unlikely...
Honestly, the only characters I could see from Grinch hoax getting promoted to playable are Geno and MAYBE Isaac anyway. Shadow's dead in the water (probably because of SEGA), and both Mach Rider and Chorus Kids... nah. I just can't see them happening. They're not really that demanded and they were pretty quickly glossed over on that 'leak'.

My bet is that only Geno really has the chance to be promoted, though. Nintendo sent a pretty clear message with Isaac, I'm afraid. I think we'd need a new Golden Sun before we get Isaac in Smash.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Here is to hoping Nintendo will use such examples, like the Grinch leak, or even scroll on the internet/youtube to see what the Smash community has been begging for.

As for Geno, the "best" thing we got is Nintendo of America has "heard" the desire for Geno and Waluigi ... let alone some of the Twitter posts about Mario RPG, Geno art and such ... so they kind of know ... hopefully NOJ is on the same wavelength.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Everyone (when early interview of Sakurai on DLC Fighters revealed characters were "selected" by Nintendo): "Aww man, I'm worried they're gonna botch this up." :(

Everyone (today) (mostly everyone really): "Wow, this Fighters Pass has been [insert sentiment here] for me; but with more DLC fighters coming after, I'm hopeful for [insert character name here] joining the roster!" :)

Sakurai (today): Sees DLC fighter discussion on various sites. Pulls out a list with names. Presses glasses. Glasses shine, covering his eyes. "Yare yare". -MENACING-

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Everyone (when early interview of Sakurai on DLC Fighters revealed characters were "selected" by Nintendo): "Aww man, I'm worried they're gonna botch this up." :(

Everyone (today) (mostly everyone really): "Wow, this Fighters Pass has been [insert sentiment here] for me; but with more DLC fighters coming after, I'm hopeful for [insert character name here] joining the roster!" :)

Sakurai (today): Sees DLC fighter discussion on various sites. Pulls out a list with names. Presses glasses. Glasses shine, covering his eyes. "Yare yare". -MENACING-
You know, it's kinda funny. When they said Nintendo chose the DLC for the Fighter's Pass, I was hopeless. I thought there was no way this DLC would be good. Now, here we are. I love Joker and Persona 5, B-K were my ultimate dream pick (and now my main, I LOVE how they play), Hero's totally nuts, and I love Terry Bogard. B-K was a character I thought wouldn't even be on NoJ's radar, yet here they are.

Honestly, Sakurai knows how popular Geno is, so I don't doubt that NoJ knows how beloved he is, too. I didn't think they'd care about B-K, but they did. I have little reason to doubt that NoJ is aware of Geno now.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
So I don't know if any of you know of him, but Aaronitmar did a video on the extra DLC fighters and who might get in, and he thinks that Geno will be the next Square Enix rep instead of Sora if there is one and I think he made some pretty good points. I just thought it was neat and wanted to share it.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I think the big take away is, yes, Nintendo is still calling the shots. YET, Sakurai has the final say as far as "I can make this work".

The kicker I feel is, these will JUST be fighters. Maybe a new track or two, no stage. If we are continuing to get new franchises in Smash, what other franchises have not had a rep in Smash? I can name a couple.

Spike Chunsoft - Possibly Danganronpa (Monokuma, would be the craziest pick)
FromSoftware - Dark Souls
Tecmo (Koei) - Ryu Hayabusa or Lu Bu....(Hahaha who am I kidding!)
Ubisoft - Rayman
BioWare - Commander Shephard
Bethesda - Doom Slayer or Elder Scrolls rep
ProjektRed - Geralt

Do we think Nintendo would continue the route of adding new franchises? Or focus on the ones they have AFTER the fighters pass and include no other companies/franchises?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom