• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I think as soon as Isabelle and Piranha Plant got in we should have all realized as far as Sakurai is concerned, we've reached the bottom of the barrel on Nintendo owned IPs. Yeah, that does a disservice to totally playable characters like Isaac, Waluigi, Takamaru, etc, but that's Sakurai sometimes.
Like i said, most of my first party wants are already ATs :(

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I feel your pain, but most of my first party choices are ATs anyway. I don’t care for more 3rd party characters but Geno would easily make up for it
Same but I really felt like this could be the time we finally break that rule at least for the really popular ones like Isaac or wa. All the pleasing the fans talk made it seem like the first pass was just to test the market and now he was greenlit to go and really please the crowd. I mean I guess if you expect the main fan base to buy anything you give them then marketing to people outside it to expand that consumerbase makes the most sense.

D

Deleted member

Like i said, most of my first party wants are already ATs :(
yeah aside from Geno, I can't even think of 3rd party characters I'd think it's cool to see... but we were out of characters I'm interested in as soon as Richter showed up and Isaac and Shadow got cast to Assist Trophy Hell.

Just give me Geno so I can get off this ride.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think as soon as Isabelle and Piranha Plant got in we should have all realized as far as Sakurai is concerned, we've reached the bottom of the barrel on Nintendo owned IPs. Yeah, that does a disservice to totally playable characters like Isaac, Waluigi, Takamaru, etc, but that's Sakurai sometimes.
If we are under the assumption that half of the roster is getting cut in the next Smash and pretty much almost all the 3rd party characters are going to be cut in Smash 6, than no we can't be at the bottom of the barrel and we are not. Next Smash will probably mostly focus on Nintendo IP again for newcomers while adding a few 3rd parties. They could be saving characters like Isaac, Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Krystal, Dixie Kong, ect for Smash 6 just so they could have some ammunition for next time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If we are under the assumption that half of the roster is getting cut in the next Smash and pretty much almost all the 3rd party characters are going to be cut in Smash 6, than no we can't be at the bottom of the barrel and we are not. Next Smash will probably mostly focus on Nintendo IP again for newcomers while adding a few 3rd parties. They could be saving characters like Isaac, Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Krystal, Dixie Kong, ect for Smash 6 just so they could have some ammunition for next time.
actually, I operate on the assumption that there is no Smash 6.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
More 3rd parties is what I was expecting. A bit disappointed we likely aren't getting anymore Nintendo characters outside of possibility Geno, but I'm cool with this. I just hope they get more cartoonish 3rd parties like Crash in there to make things varied and distinct

Tonberry2k

Smash Cadet
I'm really waiting for the announcement from Sakurai that this will REALLY be his last Smash game. You don't pull out all the stops and put in every huge fan character and bring back the entire roster because you're planning to do another one. You do it because you're planning to go out on top.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I'm really waiting for the announcement from Sakurai that this will REALLY be his last Smash game. You don't pull out all the stops and put in every huge fan character and bring back the entire roster because you're planning to do another one. You do it because you're planning to go out on top.
It's the Ultimate Smash, right? The finale?
He did say he always makes them like they're his last.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This! This right here is why Geno is happening in Ultimate ladies and gentleman.

D

Deleted member

When the DLC is over, he'll tell us. I think the wording, if it wasn't just translator choice like the "souls" deal, really implied that he's shooting to be the one who did the biggest crossover in gaming, a title he doesn't plan to be beaten on, at least not in his lifetime.

link2702

Smash Champion
Hey something about terry I’m kinda curious on...does anyone else think he might have the same restrictions ryu/ken do in ultimate being from a traditional fighter and all? Like always facing their opponent in 1v1 matches making bairs a bit tricky. Or other mechanics like using his games original inputs for powered up specials?

More on topic; what lesser suggested music from smrpg do folks hope make an appearance either as part of another song similar to what banjo got, or standalone? Id probably take seaside town and nimbus land.

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Hey something about terry I’m kinda curious on...does anyone else think he might have the same restrictions ryu/ken do in ultimate being from a traditional fighter and all? Like always facing their opponent in 1v1 matches making bairs a bit tricky. Or other mechanics like using his games original inputs for powered up specials?
I think there's a pretty good chance and tbh I personally enjoyed that change, doing a backdash while still facing the opponent to quickly punish is something I haven't been able to do since melee.

domriver

Smash Lord
Hello everyone
dropping my 2 cents down in here
So in regards to more DLC i was kind of hoping as others more 1st and 2nd party characters. In my opinion a few more 3rd party characters fine - but there can only be so much collaboration. As others mentioned - Geno, Doom, Master Chief, and others would be great! but there are plenty of other characters in the 1st and 2nd party realm. Just to throw some out
Madam Broodal - Fat Bunny with her chain chomp would be unique
Popular Pokemon - You have so many - I personally want a Team Rocket - Meowth , Arbok, and Weezing - unique
Fatal Frame character - having ghosts attack you? mixing in camera attacks - unique (unsure if this is 3rd party i think they are 2nd party)
Mischief Makers - Marina Liteyear ( 2nd party?) - her attacks are generic but she has a cool way of throwing people around could be implemented - unique
Bomberman ( 2nd party?) need i say more? - unique

for now.. lol :)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
What do you all make of this? I saw this on PushDustin's twitter.

View attachment 237808

Link to the quote: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/181031_2e.pdf
I really don't see how this goes in favor of 3rd parties aside from the "expanding consumer base" thing they already talked about.

Of anything, discovering Nintendo games they never knew about would go in favor of the franchises that have yet to be included in Smash Bros since consumers don't know about those. It's an easy marketing wagon for them although it could apply to their games in general.

Last edited:

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Sakurais's column won't have any concrete info in it; there's no way he will say anything definitive about what sort of characters are coming yet.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I wouldn't be worried about that column or that old quote from Furukawa-san, not at all.

Anyway, I ruminated over the possibility of the Mii costume returning, and the more I thought about it, the more skeptical I became of its likelihood. So, let's think:

Let's take a look at one of the three alternatives: Square didn't want the costume bundled with Hero, instead being reserved for later. Let's say that the reasoning here was because they wanted DQ to be represented without anything else taking away from it. Is this something they'd do? Well, let's look at how the costume was handled in the last game versus how it probably would have gone down if Geno's costume came with Hero.

Cloud's inclusion:
1) Geno and Chocobo were both released with him, with Geno not being treated as separately from Cloud as possible, instead being given fanfare as another SE Mii costume alongside Cloud's other goodies.
2) Geno's costume got a LOT of fanfare in the form of a mini-trailer and a splash screen, being the only Mii costume to ever receive it in the history of Smash, even including Ultimate.

Hero's inclusion (hypothetical):
1) Geno would have been released with Chocobo and the four DQ Mii costumes.
2) He would have had a lot less fanfare this time. He'd probably have just been treated as a normal Mii costume alongside all the rest with his own tiny segment. He would have been revealed with a whimper compared to his bombastic unveiling in Sm4sh.

See the difference? Why would they allow the Geno costume to get all of that attention and love for Cloud, specifically when they were a lot stingier with him and FF7 content in both games, but not with Hero? How would this have been a problem? It'd make no sense for Square to want to postpone that outfit. They have nothing to gain by postponing it, instead only losing another little bundle of cash. So, if anyone postponed the outfit, it would be...
Yep, Nintendo would have postponed the costume if Square likely didn't... but why? Geno's costume is a beloved one, and many were expecting it to drop with Hero. They even had room to put it with the DQ costume pack, making it a general SE pack, but they didn't. What reason would they have to do that when that's a popular costume, one that people probably would have gone to buy before the others (apart from maybe Veronica and the JIGGLE PHYSICS SLIME HAT)? The one that got its own freaking splash screen? That's just shoving away the chance to make more money. The reasons here are, as I see it, this:

1) They wanted to postpone Geno's Mii outfit for a separate release, improving the costume and adding music to it. Basically, they'd be giving it the Sans treatment.
2) They wanted to opt for Geno as a full-fledged fighter instead.

So, which of these is more likely? I'd say the latter, although the former is still a big possibility. Why would I say that, though?

Well, that's pretty simple. Look at the timing of the additional DLC being penned in and revealed, right around the time of Hero's and B-K's showcases: when Geno's outfit would have dropped. If Geno was being planned as a DLC character instead of a costume re-release, they'd have no reason to put that costume with Hero.

"But what about an improved costume?"

If Geno was going to have an improved costume, they may have had all the time in the world to make the improvements and get Yoko Shimomura or whomever else to remix a SMRPG theme or two for it all. After all, they did for Sans, and Sans required a whole new model and negotiation with a third party entirely new to Smash. Geno's outfit would have been a port with adjustments and music, plus some negotiation with a third party that's already on board for Smash Ultimate. It's something that'd likely take less time than a whole new model, new music, and negotiation with an otherwise-unrepresented third party.

"But what if Square didn't want the improved costume taking limelight from Hero?"

As stated in my prior point, that's likely not an issue. After all, they allowed that trailer and splash screen for the original costume in Sm4sh, right alongside Cloud. Why would they disallow the improved costume for that reason?
Now, why would they go for Geno as a playable character instead of a costume?

First of all, let's be real here: Square is hell when it comes to music. Even with Hero, they were only about to allow two songs, but Sakurai was able to manage a loophole and get two songs per DQ hero. Cloud only came with two songs. These are for playable characters, one of which was DLC in Sm4sh, another of which was DLC in Ultimate. Now, let me ask you this: would Square allow music to be bundled with a cheap, 75c Mii costume? If Cloud was a pricey fellow to add to the game (as confirmed by Tansut), and he only came with two songs, would they really go through the hassle to include music with a cheap Mii costume port? It just doesn't make much monetary sense.

Second of all, if they're doing additional DLC... why wouldn't they make Geno playable as opposed to the Mii costume? If they're going to make efforts to make things as Geno as Geno can get, they may as well go all the way and reap maximum profits for it, right? Make Geno a playable fighter, give him some music, charge a nice penny for him, and boom. The fans are happy, Sakurai is happy, corporate is happy, everyone is happy. Wouldn't it make more sense to get Geno's rights for a five dollar DLC release over a costume that costs less than a dollar? Yes, that means more development time, resources, and money, but in the end, the product would be that much more satisfactory for all parties involved.

Of course, all of this could be waved off by Occam's Razor (Square doesn't want Geno playable, so even with additional DLC negotiations, they had to settle for an improved costume), but I'm not so sure about how likely that scenario would be.

The conclusion? I think it's more likely that we'd get Geno as a fighter rather than an improved costume, taking in all the logic and intricacies behind the scenes... from an outsider's perspective. Of course, I don't know what Sakurai and company are doing, so I could be totally wrong, but this is my perception. I'm hoping very cautiously, and I'd say the chances of fighter: costume are at a ratio of 60:40 for me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A) This tweet makes more worried that Geno will be a Mii Costume yet again
https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1171719707453349888?s=19

B ) That Japanese pull was fake
https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1171701209960304641?s=19
Yep that likely means the DLC will go the same direction it went in the Fighters Pass and even if Geno does get in it's still a bit disappointing cause honestly in my opinion the Fighters Pass wasn't really good. It's been "Eh." and there's only been one character I really like which was Banjo. Sure the other three aren't bad but they just don't do anything for me at all.

I'm a Nintendo fan first and foremost so I like Nintendo characters and Nintendo-like characters first and foremost. I like characters with more of a cartoony charm and we've only gotten one character like that. Geno could still maybe get in but even if he does he'll probably be the only character I like again. I would've preferred for Sakurai to choose the DLC.

Edit: But hey what do I know just cause I feel a bit underwhelmed with the DLC doesn't mean it's objectively bad which even if I don't really like it as much as I could've I never thought it was bad. I'm just not really expecting 1st parties now so there goes 2/3 of my most wanted characters. Whatever though this could be taken out of context we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I wouldn't be worried about that column or that old quote from Furukawa-san, not at all.

Anyway, I ruminated over the possibility of the Mii costume returning, and the more I thought about it, the more skeptical I became of its likelihood. So, let's think:

Let's take a look at one of the three alternatives: Square didn't want the costume bundled with Hero, instead being reserved for later. Let's say that the reasoning here was because they wanted DQ to be represented without anything else taking away from it. Is this something they'd do? Well, let's look at how the costume was handled in the last game versus how it probably would have gone down if Geno's costume came with Hero.

Cloud's inclusion:
1) Geno and Chocobo were both released with him, with Geno not being treated as separately from Cloud as possible, instead being given fanfare as another SE Mii costume alongside Cloud's other goodies.
2) Geno's costume got a LOT of fanfare in the form of a mini-trailer and a splash screen, being the only Mii costume to ever receive it in the history of Smash, even including Ultimate.

Hero's inclusion (hypothetical):
1) Geno would have been released with Chocobo and the four DQ Mii costumes.
2) He would have had a lot less fanfare this time. He'd probably have just been treated as a normal Mii costume alongside all the rest with his own tiny segment. He would have been revealed with a whimper compared to his bombastic unveiling in Sm4sh.

See the difference? Why would they allow the Geno costume to get all of that attention and love for Cloud, specifically when they were a lot stingier with him and FF7 content in both games, but not with Hero? How would this have been a problem? It'd make no sense for Square to want to postpone that outfit. They have nothing to gain by postponing it, instead only losing another little bundle of cash. So, if anyone postponed the outfit, it would be...
Yep, Nintendo would have postponed the costume if Square likely didn't... but why? Geno's costume is a beloved one, and many were expecting it to drop with Hero. They even had room to put it with the DQ costume pack, making it a general SE pack, but they didn't. What reason would they have to do that when that's a popular costume, one that people probably would have gone to buy before the others (apart from maybe Veronica and the JIGGLE PHYSICS SLIME HAT)? The one that got its own freaking splash screen? That's just shoving away the chance to make more money. The reasons here are, as I see it, this:

1) They wanted to postpone Geno's Mii outfit for a separate release, improving the costume and adding music to it. Basically, they'd be giving it the Sans treatment.
2) They wanted to opt for Geno as a full-fledged fighter instead.

So, which of these is more likely? I'd say the latter, although the former is still a big possibility. Why would I say that, though?

Well, that's pretty simple. Look at the timing of the additional DLC being penned in and revealed, right around the time of Hero's and B-K's showcases: when Geno's outfit would have dropped. If Geno was being planned as a DLC character instead of a costume re-release, they'd have no reason to put that costume with Hero.

"But what about an improved costume?"

If Geno was going to have an improved costume, they may have had all the time in the world to make the improvements and get Yoko Shimomura or whomever else to remix a SMRPG theme or two for it all. After all, they did for Sans, and Sans required a whole new model and negotiation with a third party entirely new to Smash. Geno's outfit would have been a port with adjustments and music, plus some negotiation with a third party that's already on board for Smash Ultimate. It's something that'd likely take less time than a whole new model, new music, and negotiation with an otherwise-unrepresented third party.

"But what if Square didn't want the improved costume taking limelight from Hero?"

As stated in my prior point, that's likely not an issue. After all, they allowed that trailer and splash screen for the original costume in Sm4sh, right alongside Cloud. Why would they disallow the improved costume for that reason?
Now, why would they go for Geno as a playable character instead of a costume?

First of all, let's be real here: Square is hell when it comes to music. Even with Hero, they were only about to allow two songs, but Sakurai was able to manage a loophole and get two songs per DQ hero. Cloud only came with two songs. These are for playable characters, one of which was DLC in Sm4sh, another of which was DLC in Ultimate. Now, let me ask you this: would Square allow music to be bundled with a cheap, 75c Mii costume? If Cloud was a pricey fellow to add to the game (as confirmed by Tansut), and he only came with two songs, would they really go through the hassle to include music with a cheap Mii costume port? It just doesn't make much monetary sense.

Second of all, if they're doing additional DLC... why wouldn't they make Geno playable as opposed to the Mii costume? If they're going to make efforts to make things as Geno as Geno can get, they may as well go all the way and reap maximum profits for it, right? Make Geno a playable fighter, give him some music, charge a nice penny for him, and boom. The fans are happy, Sakurai is happy, corporate is happy, everyone is happy. Wouldn't it make more sense to get Geno's rights for a five dollar DLC release over a costume that costs less than a dollar? Yes, that means more development time, resources, and money, but in the end, the product would be that much more satisfactory for all parties involved.

Of course, all of this could be waved off by Occam's Razor (Square doesn't want Geno playable, so even with additional DLC negotiations, they had to settle for an improved costume), but I'm not so sure about how likely that scenario would be.

The conclusion? I think it's more likely that we'd get Geno as a fighter rather than an improved costume, taking in all the logic and intricacies behind the scenes... from an outsider's perspective. Of course, I don't know what Sakurai and company are doing, so I could be totally wrong, but this is my perception. I'm hoping very cautiously, and I'd say the chances of fighter: costume are at a ratio of 60:40 for me.
Next time I want to write a novel, I'm putting it in spoilers to section it off, this was a good idea. Really made me willing to read all of it.

This is in no way a pattern since it has happened once, but I think it's interesting that it lines up so well with two possibilities: Banjo came with no related Mii costumes, so the Mii Costumes we did get are considered something of a standalone release... at least, in my mind they are. I kind of doubt Terry won't come with outfits related to Fatal Fury/King of Fighters, so if we get another set of Mii costumes alongside those, we might have a pattern on our hands.

Possibility 1: 5 Mii costumes release at once as a standalone. This is interesting, since I believe SSGuy mentioned in this thread a few pages back that there are only 6 costumes that haven't come back from Smash 4 yet. That could suggest that one of those six is a fighter...

Possibility 2: Since one of the 5 mii costumes came with music, one could consider a 5 costume release to be a sort of "imitation" of a fighter release - one Mii costume of a popular character with a music track, and 4 costumes to mimic how DLC characters normally come with 4. This is the not so confidence inducing possibility, since it doesn't bode well for our boy...

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I would've preferred for Sakurai to choose the DLC.
I don't know, it seems like Sakurai is the one who wants to push the 3rd parties. Getting the vibe he wants to keep expanding the crossover. Especially since Joker and Terry definitely feel like Sakurai picks. Additionally, back in 4, all the new DLC characters that weren't veterans were 3rd party except for Corrin. And he picked all the DLC for that one. So I don't think Sakurai picking would've changed much. Maybe the Sakurai column will shed more light on his mindset, but I definitely think he's behind throwing in more 3rd parties

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
From PushDustin regarding the column:

"It was announced at the beginning of DLC releases, but essentially Nintendo decides the lineup for Smash Ultimate’s DLC. However, Sakurai has the final say whether or not he can make a fighter work."

To me this is definitely a mixed bag.

D

Deleted member

Well I think that settles that. It's going to be the same thing as the Fighters Pass as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know, it seems like Sakurai is the one who wants to push the 3rd parties. Getting the vibe he wants to keep expanding the crossover. Especially since Joker and Terry definitely feel like Sakurai picks. Additionally, back in 4, all the new DLC characters that weren't veterans were 3rd party except for Corrin. And he picked all the DLC for that one. So I don't think Sakurai picking would've changed much. Maybe the Sakurai column will shed more light on his mindset, but I definitely think he's behind throwing in more 3rd parties
Well yeah but he also said that he'd try and please the fans and I can at least think of three 1st party characters off the top of my head that could've been included to please fans: Isaac, Waluigi and Rex/Pyra but I doubt they're going to get in. (Assist upgrades were a stretch to begin with so eh.)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

It sort of looks like PushDustIn has the translation on his twitter? Not entirely sure, maybe it's heavily abridged. It once again gives the "Nintendo chose the DLC Lineup for Smash Ultimate", which is so vague.

Honestly, looking back from November of last year to now, "Nintendo chose the DLC" is just a vague statement in general. Everyone just assumed it meant shill picks or whatever other bad news, but no one ever really tried to comprehend what it means. Or for that matter, what Sakurai means when he says that he determines if a fighter "works". We have Duck Hunt and a literal faceless Mario enemy, at this point I think Sakurai could make the "INSERT COIN" text from Gradius III work as a fighter.

It's the kind of statement that I wish just wouldn't be made because it raises more questions than it provides answers or excuses, especially looking back on it when taking in Joker, Banjo, and Terry being in. Nintendo decided on a character from a franchise that only spinoffs have graced their console? Nintendo said it was a great idea to advertise a competitor's console and game services? Nintendo wants to include a character from one of the most underappreciated fighting games?

Bremy

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo did say that they were surprised at the huge reaction towards banjo and kazooie, maybe that got them to think geno would get the same? Them holding the mii costume back tells me that they are thinking about it at least.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
After reading the Sakurai column (the summary at least), I think we're going to to be on this DLC ride for a while. Like I think we'll keep getting DLC till momentum significantly slows down sales wise. He's not working on anything else and seems to really enjoy working on this game

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
That is promising:

As long as there’s an opportunity to make more fighters, Sakurai wants to push the record further. As long as Sakurai can please someone with the addition of a new fighter, then it’s best for him to work on the game.

Come on Square....

D

Deleted member

After reading the Sakurai column (the summary at least), I think we're going to to be on this DLC ride for a while. Like I think we'll keep getting DLC till momentum significantly slows down sales wise. He's not working on anything else and seems to really enjoy working on this game
On one hand, a part of me says "great, the game will never be stale, Nintendo is living up to their commitment to make the Switch a long-lasting console, and we'll see all sorts of wild and crazy characters."

The other part of me says I want to play Geno before I'm 30 and the clock is ticking.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Nintendo did say that they were surprised at the huge reaction towards banjo and kazooie, maybe that got them to think geno would get the same? Them holding the mii costume back tells me that they are thinking about it at least.
Let's keep in mind that DLC was in negotiations way before it's announced and Phil Spencer probably had a hand in convincing Nintendo to take Banjo & Kazooie in. We don't know what Square Enix's stance on Geno is.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Next time I want to write a novel, I'm putting it in spoilers to section it off, this was a good idea. Really made me willing to read all of it.

This is in no way a pattern since it has happened once, but I think it's interesting that it lines up so well with two possibilities: Banjo came with no related Mii costumes, so the Mii Costumes we did get are considered something of a standalone release... at least, in my mind they are. I kind of doubt Terry won't come with outfits related to Fatal Fury/King of Fighters, so if we get another set of Mii costumes alongside those, we might have a pattern on our hands.

Possibility 1: 5 Mii costumes release at once as a standalone. This is interesting, since I believe SSGuy mentioned in this thread a few pages back that there are only 6 costumes that haven't come back from Smash 4 yet. That could suggest that one of those six is a fighter...

Possibility 2: Since one of the 5 mii costumes came with music, one could consider a 5 costume release to be a sort of "imitation" of a fighter release - one Mii costume of a popular character with a music track, and 4 costumes to mimic how DLC characters normally come with 4. This is the not so confidence inducing possibility, since it doesn't bode well for our boy...
While a possibility, I think that's looking rather deep into it and forging patterns that have no precedent, especially since B-K coming with misc. costumes is likely because of them belonging to a rival company. The fact that we got them alone is a miracle, considering Phil's willingness to allow it and Nintendo's desire to please fans. I can only see Terry coming with the SNK costumes, and who knows about fighter 5?

Basically, there's not a lot of room for them to reveal Geno's costume, and the perfect window to do so has already long passed with Hero. Finding patterns where none yet exist is probably not the best idea, especially since Joker and Hero 'had' a pattern that Banjo and Kazooie broke. If anything, they're the outlier, not the pattern.

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
On one hand, a part of me says "great, the game will never be stale, Nintendo is living up to their commitment to make the Switch a long-lasting console, and we'll see all sorts of wild and crazy characters."

The other part of me says I want to play Geno before I'm 30 and the clock is ticking.
I'm hoping we'll know by the next wave. I don't know if I can keep being in suspense any longer lol

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Cmon guys, haven't we all learned by now?

The only rule in play is that he has to find a way to make a character work from a functional and/or company standpoint. Other than that, nothing is stopping anyone from appearing. We could have Glover in Smash if Sakurai wanted to have him.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Hello! I've been lurking this thread for a while, and just now remembered I had this account made a while ago. Just coming in here to say that I really hope Geno finally makes it in! I've wanted him since forever, and the feeling that it could actually happen now with the recent "more DLC" announcement has me really excited. Best of luck, everyone!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The column was harmless lol. No idea how people got “first parties deconfirmed” from that
People jump to conclusions all the time, usually based off of incomplete or questionable translations. I remember the community going into panic mode because Lucas's profile on the Smash Bros. Brawl website said that Ness had been Smash "up until this point", which got people thinking that Ness had been cut from the series in Brawl.

D

Deleted member

People jump to conclusions all the time, usually based off of incomplete or questionable translations. I remember the community going into panic mode because Lucas's profile on the Smash Bros. Brawl website said that Ness had been Smash "up until this point", which got people thinking that Ness had been cut from the series in Brawl.
if only
to be fair I think we all knew at that point that Lucas was supposed to replace Ness in Melee had Mother 3 not essentially become vaporware

link2702

Smash Champion
I wouldn’t worry too much if Nintendo is still choosing it. There’s no way at this point that they don’t know geno’s popularity

Also I’m sure sakurai still has a big say in it. His word probably is gold at this point, if he says he feels geno is probably popular enough to add, Nintendo would let him. Nintendo’s list is probably just recommendations but sakurai doesn’t have to choose from it by now.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Well glad to see the "leak" that said it was about the nature of the next dlc and was looking to push more colabs that Dustin was talking about beforehand was total bull. But I'm still not confident about the direction changing from the first pass. We'll just have to wait for the first fighter before we can get an idea of their goals barring some leak down the road.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom