• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
at this point, I think Terry Bogard is the ONLY fighting game character I'd actually be interested in. but only, and I must stress ONLY if he gets the goofy voice lines.
With how Sakurai does things, he is almost definitely going to get goofy voice lines.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I'm not foaming at the mouth or anything either I'm just so underwhelmed and annoyed
I just figured I should make it clear because I know it can be taken the wrong way. I'm happy for the SNK fans. It would be hypocritical of me to say they have awful picks after the way I reacted to people treated Tracer like crap. If anything I said came off the wrong way I apologise to everyone. A hypocrite is the last thing I want to be.

EmeraldNate

Smash Rookie
Man, this last week has just been an exercise of lowering expectations. First Overwatch rumors, then Ninja Gaiden, and then King of Fighters. It's like it got more and more niche as the rumors cycled through. Since a King of Fighters rep is all but confirmed, it's going to be really interesting who they pick for the final fighter.
Honestly, I would've been happy with an overwatch rep. Ninja Gaiden I didn't like, but I feel that character would've been original. An SNK rep isn't something I'd want, but I'd be fine with I guess. Honestly though, "lowering expectations" is the right thing to describe everything that's been going on for the past week.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Man, this last week has just been an exercise of lowering expectations. First Overwatch rumors, then Ninja Gaiden, and then King of Fighters. It's like it got more and more niche as the rumors cycled through. Since a King of Fighters rep is all but confirmed, it's going to be really interesting who they pick for the final fighter.
If Sabi's hints are anything to go by, it's more than likely Terry. He's basically the mascot of SNK as a whole, and predates Kyo by quite a few years.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
at this point, I think Terry Bogard is the ONLY fighting game character I'd actually be interested in. but only, and I must stress ONLY if he gets the goofy voice lines.
Be a shame if they don't incorporate something so iconic about him

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's a niche pick which is interesting because that means that Banjo is overwhelmingly the only super popular character that's in the DLC so far. King of Fighters definitely has history though and the fact that it beat out Tekken is especially surprising.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
It's a niche pick which is interesting because that means that Banjo is overwhelmingly the only super popular character that's in the DLC so far. King of Fighters definitely has history though and the fact that it beat out Tekken is especially surprising.
I hope I’m not re-asking something you already answered but does the Starling hint seem to be related to a KOF character in Smash or is it completely separate?

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
If it does turn out to be a KoF rep, I think that confirms my suspicions that Sakurai is just putting in whoever he wants because he likes them the most. All the characters are Sakurai picks... we've been duped...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I hope I’m not re-asking something you already answered but does the Starling hint seem to be related to a KOF character in Smash or is it completely separate?
It's not KoF related. We now know what it's for but we can't say until the appropriate time. We've been given strict orders not to say its real meaning and I promise I'll say something if and when I'm given the okay to.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
The goofy voicelines are the main reason I'm hoping for Terry, honestly. I just wanna play as a buff man and yell "HEY, YOU!" and "CRACK SHOO" at people.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If I were to guess, it beat out Tekken because SNK games were just easier to translate over(They mentioned having difficulty with Tekken) and the top choice for Tekken(Heihachi) has been retired as a character because of his actors death, or at least that is what I recall hearing from somewhere.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
It's not KoF related. We now know what it's for but we can't say until the appropriate time. We've been given strict orders not to say its real meaning and I promise I'll say something if and when I'm given the okay to.
Hold on, what? You guys know what it means?

Did the discord figure it out or did the Source™ decide to tell you all?

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
If I were to guess, it beat out Tekken because SNK games were just easier to translate over(They mentioned having difficulty with Tekken) and the top choice for Tekken(Heihachi) has been retired as a character because of his actors death, or at least that is what I recall hearing from somewhere.
Bull****. Heihachi is gonna be in a KOF mobile game, so unless negotiations started way before last year, there's no way Namco's retiring the character.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Bull****. Heihachi is gonna be in a KOF mobile game, so unless negotiations started way before last year, there's no way Namco's retiring the character.
Like I said, that is something I heard some time back. I would not be shocked if it were not true, but I imagine the actors death still had some effects on how the character is used, especially since that sort of thing is taken very seriously in Japan.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
oh great finally, so was it crab tier and we were never going to figure it out or were we all just idiots?

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Is it possible you could give any vague hints, or tell us what it isn't? If not I completely understand, given the strict orders

I'm assuming based on what's already been said it's not Pokemon or FE

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Oh man, if it's still related to who we're hoping for, that's great news

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hold on, what? You guys know what it means?

Did the discord figure it out or did the Source™ decide to tell you all?
He told us. Something you all have to understand was that I was never supposed to make it public in the first place so there's a distinct possibility that I won't even be allowed to say what it actually meant. I'm sorry. This kind of all unfolded because of me but we made a promise so people will have to wait things out.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
... It's gonna be Goku, isn't it?
Uh so the url for challenger pack 4 has been taken down https://www.nintendo.co.uk/DLC/Challenger-Pack-4-1519368.html
OY VEY, THEY KNOW!!

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Uh so the url for challenger pack 4 has been taken down https://www.nintendo.co.uk/DLC/Challenger-Pack-4-1519368.html
Welp, if people needed anymore proof to show that this thing was not a mistake, there's the answer.

Sorry if I come to sound rude (not intentional), but I'm calling a death sentence for Geno.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Just gonna ask for the bandage to be ripped off if you can say it, but if not, then I totally understand:

It's not Geno or related to Geno in any way, isn't it?

Also, whoof... guys, I understand being sad about Geno and even being angry about how he may be downgraded from Sm4sh, but let's calm down a little bit. I think ForsakenM ForsakenM covered what I wanted to say about this. Take it easy. Breathe.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I understand you won’t hint What it’s about, but can you at least tell us if you were told or did someone actually figure it out?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
He told us. Something you all have to understand was that I was never supposed to make it public in the first place so there's a distinct possibility that I won't even be allowed to say what it actually meant. I'm sorry. This kind of all unfolded because of me but we made a promise so people will have to wait things out.
Understandable, especially with how much commotion the leak has caused in it's wake.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
A thought on Fatmanonice's statement, it is definitely interesting that he told us it's for sure not KOF related. That said, who knows if it's actually Geno related or something else entirely

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Also, I have NO idea how ANYONE can think an SNK Rep would be boring.

Let me hit you with the fast facts real quick, because there are a number of choices:
  • Terry Bogard, the obvious pick. He is the face of KoF despite what others might say and everyone knows about "Powah Wave!", "Burn Knuckle!" "Crack Shuut!", "Raizing Tackool!", "BUSTA WOOLF!", "POWAH GUYZAH!", "Hey, c'mon c'mon!" and "R U OKAY?!" He is Japan's version of a American stereotype from way back when and it's amazing. He's also a goddamn beast and a badass to boot. Since he has recently made an appearance in Fighting EX Layer, I'm not sure if he will show up, but I wouldn't be surprised. GIMME THAT WILD WOLF ALTERNATE, NINTENDO!
  • Kyo Kusanagi, the second mascot. I don't know as much about his lore, but the dude throws fire at people. If you wanted a Ken from KoF, here he is. Also, "BLOODY ANIME!" Hasn't been in a crossover, which makes me think he could be likely.
  • Iori Yagami, the rival/bad dude. He fights like a savage with claw attacks and pulling and tearing and throws around purple fire. Has rekka moves. Definitely a punk asshole. Smash could always use more villains, but he usually isn't the first one mentioned when someone thinks of KoF.
  • Mai Shiranui, the iconic female. She's pretty much the Chun-Li of KoF, though much more risque. Her massive cleavage has a point though: she uses the art of distraction to win. She would fit the 'flying weapon' with her fans and also has some fire techniques. Nintendo has been pretty ballsy lately, so I wouldn't even be surprised if she got her jiggle physics win pose up close and personal. "EEBOYCHI!" However, she is in the most recent Dead or Alive game and that has received a decent about of negative press and Sabi said the rep wasn't female, so I'm not confident in her inclusion.
  • Geese Howard, primary villain. This dude is an asshole but he is a beast. Cool parry-throws, "DOUBLE REPPUKEN!", and a man who can fall out of the window of his multi-story building and live to come back and **** **** up. However, he was brought over into Tekken 7 where I think he feels even more at home than he could in Smash, so I'm not seeing this as likely.
  • Rock Howard, son of Geese Howard. Much less of an asshole, but still an angsty teen. He hasn't been in every game but he is very much loved and he hasn't been in a recent crossover, so it could happen. Still, Terry and Kyo come to mind first.
  • Hoahmaru, the badass samurai. He is the face of Samurai Showdown, is very much the Ryu of the game, and he's boastful and a badass. Smash lacks a samurai character so the inclusion would be pretty cool but he was just recently announced to crossover with Soul Calibur 6 and Sabi said it was Kof so I'm not seeing him as likely.
  • Nakoruru, the truly popular female. She's cute, has a BIRB friend that she fights with, is a very unique character and she still will kill your ass. Also, she was in the base game for KoF14 and though she was originall a SamSho character she has also become one with KoF. She is very popular, ranking as the third favorite character in polls and we are able to loosely connect the starling hint with her. However, Sabi said no female rep, so even though she would be perfect I can't be confident.
Outside of that, KoF has a lot to offer. As someone else said, Street Fighter is very vanilla for fighting games. Both Ken and Ryu are much more like their Street Fighter 2 selves and they bring little interesting for fighting game mechanics.

KoF however has EX Moves (spend a bit of meter to have an enhance version of a special move), crazy roll mechanics, short hops, and MAX Mode (a mode the allows you to spend some meter and use an unlimited number of EX Moves for the time duration of MAX Mode. It also works for cancelling your combos to extend them AND can make using bigger Level 3 supers easier with the cost of cancelling MAX Mode). You can also do run combos I believe.

Y'all don't even KNOW what SNK can bring to the table, and it's even more fitting that SNK gets a rep when you remember that the inspiration for Super Smash Bros happened when Sakurai whooped the crap out of this young couple who were bad at KoF. Had Sakurai never been so good at KoF and destroyed that couple, he would never have had the desire to make a fighting game that had a lower skill floor and Smash would never have happened.

LEARN SOME RESPECT~!

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I see this sentiment a lot and I'm confused. We only have Ryu and his clone...?
Well, the issue is that Smash Bros is a fighting game by nature, and arguably one of the craziest and most out there fighting games out there at that. Traditional fighting game characters just don't really stack up to most of the roster and it's really hard to get people too excited by a humanoid that punches or kicks, sometimes with a little extra fire on his fist. Especially when someone like Terry Bogard already looks so damn much like Ken. Sure, we don't have "fighting game characters" in droves... but we do have 80 fighting game characters. People were never super on board with them in the first place, so they endured Ryu and Ken for being absolute legends. Moving to King of Fighters basically goes from the "biggest" fighting game to like the tenth (Tekken, Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, Blazblue, Guilty Gear, etc.) so it's a noticeable drop in "quality" and recognition too. Especially compared to other SNK characters who actually do stuff differently (I'm already lamenting the fact I got OK with the idea with Samurai Showdown's Nakoruru as a potentially interesting SNK character and then had that snatched away by KOF immediately).

Ryu is very vanilla as far as FGs go. He doesn't even have EX moves in Smash.

Smash is ~very~ inspired by KOF, it has shorthops, running, spot dodges, rolls, etc. We know as much. A character from there would fit like a glove.
I don't see why this is in particular a positive or something to be celebrated Every fighting game character would quite easily transfer to Smash and most of Smash's genuinely unique and creative movesets and characters come from games and characters that have no business being in one. I'll give you representing the influence is a good trait, but the whole adaptability angle I don't think is something special any KOF character has over a great deal of characters and certainly doesn't seem like something to celebrate in any special way.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Okay man, if you can't say any more info, I understand. We'll just have to keep our eyes open for character #5 from here on out.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I just figured I should make it clear because I know it can be taken the wrong way. I'm happy for the SNK fans. It would be hypocritical of me to say they have awful picks after the way I reacted to people treated Tracer like crap. If anything I said came off the wrong way I apologise to everyone. A hypocrite is the last thing I want to be.
You are allowed to not find every pick to be an excellent choice, worthy of praise. You can be disappointed. If Geno got in and people were disappointed, that's perfectly fine. They don't have to like him. Hell, they can even disagree with it. Its true that you should not start any trouble with a fanbase who gets a character while your pick wasn't added. Its not right or fair to them to be a jerk on their victory. But at the same time, you aren't required to LIKE that new character added and you can be disappointed that someone you either had no connection to or didn't like was made playable while your favorite wasn't. I didn't like Corrin being added in Smash 4, but I didn't go into the Corrin thread after their reveal to crap on the character, but I shouldn't have to hide my thoughts, as long as they are worded maturely and not kicking and screaming, while being in a different thread at the time because a fan might hear it.

I like how this thread strives for positivity....but sometimes it feels like at times any negative comment of any degree is not allowed. 'Don't poo-poo a character because they have a fanbase and we should be happy.' That's nice, but that comes off as very controlling and alittle manipulative. Positivity is nice and lord knows it wouldn't kill the Smash fanbase to practice it more often, but instead sometimes it goes in the other direction, trying to bury discussion that isn't sunshine and rainbow stars. And the idea that a hopeful character fanbase can't be disagreeable with another character who is playable because it will make people dislike that hopeful character? I'm sorry, but I don't like that mindset. Now, screaming like a nutcase, causing issues/fights and acting rude is not acceptable and that should be criticized. But I don't agree with this notion that every fanbase needs to be smiling and politely applauding for a newcomer when their most wanted is still missing. What, if Geno was added, we need the Geno Police force going into other threads to finger wag shame them for not liking it?

And I think the 'toxic' label gets thrown around here way too easily and people exit the thread from even the tiniest rumble of 'hostilities.' This thread is not toxic, even on its bad days, and its dishonest to label it as such. If this thread turns into SmashFAQS, THEN people have a better case for calling it toxic. And getting lectures about how bad people are here for not being prim and proper 24/7 is far more annoying than people expressing indifference or disappointment to what characters make the cut.

Its not hypocritical to not like a character you have no connection with. Its hypocritical, for example, to hate a JRPG character because of JRPG but then liking another JRPG character.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I hope the bird is Geno.

If not Geno, I hope it can somehow be tied to Pikmin 4.

...oh, I know! The bird represents the snagret, and the roof’s shingles represent the snagret’s scaly body.

Loog

Smash Apprentice
I hope the bird is Geno.

If not Geno, I hope it can somehow be tied to Pikmin 4.

...oh, I know! The bird represents the snagret, and the roof’s shingles represent the snagret’s scaly body.

But snargrets can't fly so I doubt that unfortunately.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
I know about that, but what I'm saying is why would Nintendo pick her over, let's say, Terry for example.
If both DLC 4 and 5 were put up. I think its quite possible they will reveal both in the direct. Who knows.. So for sure SNK DLC #4 time to move on peeps. Geno for Final DLC!!! #5!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
OMG, I JUST realized that Terry would be the best character. Why?

Because taunting "R U OKAY?!" whenever someone SDs is going to be the MOST gratifying thing in the WORLD.

Second most would be doing his hat flip.

Sakurai needs to unban taunts from online JUST for this to be possible.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Again, guys, I'm telling you: while my hope is currently quite low with us getting to the last character, remember that we have to keep our voices loud. We don't know if future DLC is out of the question or if it's even being planned. There are ways Geno could still come back, even if not in Smash.

I am damn well not going to clam my voice up, and neither should any of you. Make fan projects. Make art. Write. Get as loud as you possibly can. If it takes having to make fan games and fan hacks that Nintendo and Square have to scramble to C&D, then heck, let's make a DAMN great fan game or fan hack. If they won't revive Geno, then we'll keep him alive. If they won't give him the spotlight he deserves, we will, legal dubiousness be damned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom