• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I am still quite nervous about the possibility of another SE character not being Geno getting in and we get our costume back that way. Why does this news have to drag on for us? Part of me just wants a hard core Yes or No from Sakurai already, you know?

Does anyone else feel this way? I've just been waiting for so many years to want to keep myself invested in speculation.

****ing hell, people need to mind their own business. I'm telling you, I've been in a lot of awful fandoms, from Sonic to Undertale, and I don't think any of them hold a candle to how downright nasty, vitriolic, and down-putting the Smash fandom is. It really never used to be this way. What the hell happened?

Poor Ani, at any rate. I hope she'll be okay...
I've been pretty exhausted with Smash as a whole. Crash Team Racing has been a really great experience. I just want to return to Smash and be able to enjoy it. It's hard to do so when specific fandoms (won't name but most can guess which group I have beef with) literally just strive on putting you down for hoping a character would get in. God I hate that November Direct.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
****ing hell, people need to mind their own business. I'm telling you, I've been in a lot of awful fandoms, from Sonic to Undertale, and I don't think any of them hold a candle to how downright nasty, vitriolic, and down-putting the Smash fandom is. It really never used to be this way. What the hell happened?

I hope so too. I thought her theory was fun and interesting

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Crash Team Racing is nice, but it's going to be impossible to talk about Crash stuff on here for a while thanks to paranoia and overreaction to the optional microtransactions.

Maybe it's a good time to clear up my backlog on the side.

Increased exposure on Switch leading to an influx of neophytes, then you eventually got enough that when Summer (AKA the worst season of the year) happened, a whole bunch of rabid people with too much time on their hands decided to go online...it was never going to end well.

Zack still talks to me on Discord sometimes and I want to say the reason Anigriffin hasn't been on is because 8chan got a hold of one of her (?) Ninten theories and hardcore dragged her for it. That being said, 9 to 1 it's a mental health break.
Why oh why did this have to happen? That makes @JDCabrera 's experiences with Doom Slayer and Solaire supporters look pleasant. I'm neutral on Ninten's chances and even I think this treatment is unfair and unjustified. She was the biggest driving force for that fanbase, so without her and Zack, Mother character support is basically going to be dead, if Porky's indeed been taken out entirely for no reason at all.

1056013.jpg

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Hey guys! I wanted to start my SMRPG stream yesterday but my internet/cpu was outta wack.

I still plan on streaming today but it will be at most a couple of hours due to errands and real life stuff that had to happen.

I'll be starting around 3PM CST, which is just under an hour if you wanna come join.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

To be fair, I feel like this specific case is more of an 8chan problem than a Smash problem. They're kind of infamous for harassing people over minute **** over there.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Man I miss @Zack E. He was a real good fella.

Also jeez man, the fact that people went after someone like AniGriffin over a theory just goes to show that some people are WAY too invested in speculation. Wish the best for them :(

AugustusB

Smash Champion
New PapaGenos video, has some speculation on the missing Mii Costume: https://youtu.be/ZfUAWUG8XnM
Was about to post, but was beaten to the punch. After watching this and really thinking about it, it makes sense for the last two fighters to be Doom Guy and Geno.
The only reason I say that is, as of late, these two have had evidence slowly building up to suggest it. Also, did anyone else here that Gruntilda boss hint? I believe it is the ominous tone playing when looking at the entrance to her lair. I think the other bosses had that (I at least remember Marx had something like that.)

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Crash Team Racing is nice, but it's going to be impossible to talk about Crash stuff on here for a while thanks to paranoia and overreaction to the optional microtransactions.

Maybe it's a good time to clear up my backlog on the side.
I wouldn’t call people overreacting to the Crash Team Racing microtransactions, and I think Jim Sterling covered it best:

https://youtu.be/9LeZ89_u2Gc

Honestly, **** Activision and this continued trend of worse and worse microtransactions. It’s not overblown, in fact I’d call it under reported.

Supergeno

Smash Rookie
Hey guys I made this image for every time something that support Geno's chances in Smash comes around. Hope you like it ;)

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I wouldn’t call people overreacting to the Crash Team Racing microtransactions, and I think Jim Sterling covered it best:

https://youtu.be/9LeZ89_u2Gc

Honestly, **** Activision and this continued trend of worse and worse microtransactions. It’s not overblown, in fact I’d call it under reported.
I think it's a bit of an over reaction. They could have been far less generous with the amount they are providing. I would prefer no microtransactions but they aren't pricing anyone out at this point.

This isn't like Blizzard who literally scams dumb people with Overwatch lootboxes.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I think it's a bit of an over reaction. They could have been far less generous with the amount they are providing. I would prefer no microtransactions but they aren't pricing anyone out at this point.

This isn't like Blizzard who literally scams dumb people with Overwatch lootboxes.
My issue is giving an inch and taking a mile. Dealing with it and letting Activision go along with their microtransactions without backlash could easily wind up in them issuing more, using even cheaper and scummier methods. Activision has a reputation for not... being the most consumer-friendly, so it's not a good precedent that they're setting. It is a slippery slope, textbook, and while it very well could not come to fruition, in the case of Activision, Iiiii would rather make it known that I don't approve of that business model. It's not a big deal now, though, and it hopefully won't be in the future.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I am still quite nervous about the possibility of another SE character not being Geno getting in and we get our costume back that way. Why does this news have to drag on for us? Part of me just wants a hard core Yes or No from Sakurai already, you know?

Does anyone else feel this way? I've just been waiting for so many years to want to keep myself invested in speculation
The only reasonable picks for a Square rep that isn't Geno is Sephiroth and maybe Sora and Chrono. However, I'm not sure about those last two.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
My issue is giving an inch and taking a mile. Dealing with it and letting Activision go along with their microtransactions without backlash could easily wind up in them issuing more, using even cheaper and scummier methods. Activision has a reputation for not... being the most consumer-friendly, so it's not a good precedent that they're setting. It is a slippery slope, textbook, and while it very well could not come to fruition, in the case of Activision, Iiiii would rather make it known that I don't approve of that business model. It's not a big deal now, though, and it hopefully won't be in the future.
I feel like this is as 'bad' as it is going to get. Activision seems aware that fans are a little on edge about this decision. I can't seem them pricing content out.

With all that being said, they are still more consumer friendly than Square in my book considering what they have done with Crash/Spyro as of late. Let Geno play in Smash and I might change my tune lol

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The only reasonable picks for a Square rep that isn't Geno is Sephiroth and maybe Sora and Chrono. However, I'm not sure about those last two.
I doubt they'd choose Chrono if they wouldn't go for Geno, given how similar their situations are (and worse yet with Chrono, given his series itself is dead, noting that B-K was a rare exception and had very vocal fan demand). Sora has Disney, so that's... kind of a whole 'nother mess and a half. They seem to be okay with Sora in Smash, granted, but that's still so much of a freaking can of worms.

Given SE is 'listening' (apparently) when it comes to the Smash FF music situation, though, I could see them adding Sephiroth with more licensed FF7 tunes... if they can manage to hammer out a deal with Nintendo. Whether or not they can is a different story, though lol.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I doubt they'd choose Chrono if they wouldn't go for Geno, given how similar their situations are (and worse yet with Chrono, given his series itself is dead, noting that B-K was a rare exception and had very vocal fan demand). Sora has Disney, so that's... kind of a whole 'nother mess and a half. They seem to be okay with Sora in Smash, granted, but that's still so much of a freaking can of worms.

Given SE is 'listening' (apparently) when it comes to the Smash FF music situation, though, I could see them adding Sephiroth with more licensed FF7 tunes... if they can manage to hammer out a deal with Nintendo. Whether or not they can is a different story, though lol.
Honestly, if Geno was already in, I'd push for Sephiroth because when someone says video game villain, he's kind of one of the more iconic ones.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Honestly, if Geno was already in, I'd push for Sephiroth because when someone says video game villain, he's kind of one of the more iconic ones.
Chocobo all the way for Square character after Geno!

But I'd switch gears to supporting Rayman for Smash

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'd love to see Sephiroth in for MajoraMan28 MajoraMan28 and the rest of his fans. He's a huge and iconic gaming villain with a huge and iconic sword. He'd make a lot of people happy. I have no personal attachment to him, but I wouldn't complain if we got him.

pls give geno too tho

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Did you watch the video I linked? The microtransactions themselves in CTR are not that bad, or at least, are not that bad considering microtransactions are inherently predatory and terrible when games already cost a substantial amount, which in of itself is the issue that we’ve accepted these as the norm.

The issue is that they were added post launch to a game that was reviewed and advertised without those MTX in place at launch, which is an even more predatory model than the ones that are upfront. At least customers can be made aware of the MTX beforehand and avoid them if they so choose with at launch MTX. Post launch MTX don’t allow for that option and preys upon an existing player base that has become invested in the game already and this may be more likely to buy MTX given their prior investment. They also avoid any potential negative warning labels including the ESRB’s laughable excuse for one.

People with gambling addictions are not dumb, they are ill and preyed upon by intentionally designed mechanics, advertising, and psychology researched by big companies for the record. Kids that don’t know any better and parents that don’t know any better because this **** isn’t well advertised, regulated, or even discussed are not inherently dumb either. Yes, we’re aware of a great deal of things due to our engagement with the video game industry, but most people do not. Let’s not call them dumb. Some people are irresponsible despite being informed, but a great deal of the blame belongs to the game companies.

Sephiroth and Sora are by the far the best candidates for the next Square Enix rep outside of Geno and both are huge characters with larger followings in and out of Smash. They both for sure will be, and deserve to be, in debates surrounding Square Enix’s next Fighter alongside Geno.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
An user on Twitter has speculated that the reason Rhythm Heaven can't get anyone playable is due to the staff being unable to contact Tsunku, the composer of the games. If so, then they can never get a proper chance to get the timing for a meeting with him right...
Isn’t there Rhythm Heaven music ingame, though? I think there was in Smash 4, though it may have been with an update like the Mario Paint Medley...
Just the two. That's probably all they could afford to get.

Having a rhythm-based character must be as tricky as pulling off :ultridley:.
Three actually; they added in Fruit Basket.

IDK about the Tsunku thing, apparently he only discovered he had laryngeal cancer in March 2014, so could that have been some time after the "cut-off point" for character implementation for Smash 4's base game?

It would bug me if it wasn't a non-negotiable issue in getting the character to work that kept the character entirely out of Smash 4 and potentially Ultimate, but instead something that could eventually be conquered, but not in Ultimate, maybe even if it was rhythm gimmick implementation that could be done with enough care. I imagine they would have wanted the character to have some kind of rhythm mechanic in their moveset, so I have to wonder if there could have been something preventing that from being feasible like balancing, latency or again, simply just implementing such a gimmick. But there are still characters with, albeit non-rhythmic timed moves like Wii Fit Trainer and Incineroar (which are recommended you do despite an online latency...), and they could have pulled a Ryu/Ken by making the gimmick types of their moves just happen to be a more powerful bonus (in their case inputs, in this case on-beat rhythm attacks), as well as add some visual assistance to help you make the rhythm attack.

The emblem data that includes RH but lacks Ice Climbers, who were cut for 3DS stuff, suggests possibly that they were still in consideration whilst the Ice Climbers were cut, or at least long enough for both to get their planned Smash Run enemies finished and implemented anyway. So perhaps they could have already been in development long enough to exist without those issues anyway (simply being unfinished because of time), or were cut in a similar fashion to the Ice Climbers in that it was only during technical implementation that non-negotiable (?) issues for their inclusion became clear. But we honestly don't know for certain at the end of the day, so who knows (besides of course the Smash team) exactly what kept the character from being in Smash? I just hope it could have been something in implementation they truly couldn't work around even when trying again for Ultimate not too long after.

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
TBH I never liked Pokemon Trainer. He's kinda gimmicky. I'd much rather just have standalone Charizard like in Smash 4.
I have to disagree honestly, I think the gimmick is what gives him his charm, and makes him more unique than solo Zard.

Then again, maybe I just prefer the Trainer, because he allows me to use my favorite Pokemon, Squirtle in Smash, and I just don't see Squirtle getting the solo treatment in later Smash games.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I feel like this is as 'bad' as it is going to get. Activision seems aware that fans are a little on edge about this decision. I can't seem them pricing content out.

With all that being said, they are still more consumer friendly than Square in my book considering what they have done with Crash/Spyro as of late. Let Geno play in Smash and I might change my tune lol
Holy ****, no. Square Enix has MTX and ****ty practices, but you’ve never seen the disgusting depths of Call of Duty transactions over the past 5 years and especially Black Ops IIII if you’re saying this.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I'd love to see Sephiroth in for MajoraMan28 MajoraMan28 and the rest of his fans. He's a huge and iconic gaming villain with a huge and iconic sword. He'd make a lot of people happy. I have no personal attachment to him, but I wouldn't complain if we got him.

pls give geno too tho
You're adorable. ^^
Thank you for remembering me. I appreciate the consideration.
I would be happy if Geno got in too, specifically for fans like yourself.

Btw, did you try FFVII on the Switch already?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
How about Neku as another Square rep, would he also be a reasonable pick?

D

Deleted member

The microtransactions aren’t that awful and people just have to not buy them. Easy peachy unless you want to ruin the game for everyone.

And no, I’m not on the mood to deal with Eric right now.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
yo, block content just released a video about a bonus character, what do you think of it?
Ever since he started focusing solely on "leaks" and rumors with some clickbait titles, I don't really watch him anymore.

edit: It’s not a problem he covers rumors, but he used to make some cool stuff. Maybe he does still, I don’t really know, but it seems he’s just pushing out these rumor videos and he’s covering even the ones that are clearly fake if you just take a moment to actually look at it and think, like that poorly done clip that was supposedly from a Porky trailer. It was obviously badly animated in SFM, and didn’t look like other character reveals at all. A couple of other people I’ve seen cover rumors and stuff are fine imo because they put care into it instead of just seeming like they’re pushing out videos solely for views.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
How about Neku as another Square rep, would he also be a reasonable pick?
Neku is a char in a still growing franchise that SE isn't putting on the forefront of its cannons in AAA development. In fact, you'll see Neku in KH4 most likely. We don't have anything to go buy. Ironically, he showed more in KH games than on his own franchise. He would be cool, but I don't see him as much likely as something like Sephiroth, Sora or Geno

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
Ever since they started focusing solely on "leaks" and rumors with some clickbait titles, I don't really watch them anymore.
The fact that every time he is reading someone’s comment he puts on this almost mocking tone really turns me off his videos. It’s so cringy

Ovaltine

Smash Master
You're adorable. ^^
Thank you for remembering me. I appreciate the consideration.
I would be happy if Geno got in too, specifically for fans like yourself.

Btw, did you try FFVII on the Switch already?
I haven't had the chance to! I've... been stuck on Terraria on my Switch. :') I've been horribly addicted. (Also, I think of you whenever I think of Sephiroth, so of COURSE you're remembered!!)

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

Just because it could be less generous doesn't make it better, it's like getting shot or getting cut. From what I heard original it was easy to buy the characters & karts with those coins since you get a decent amount of them by racing, but when the microtransactions option finally happen it seems like all the prices got jack up to a point where the coins you get are pitiful. It's a test of patience because you have to work a lot hard to get the stuff you were getting normally, and seeing how this is aimed for children (who don't have patience) it's extremely scummy. Why are game developers aiming at children with these terrible monetary practice? Also way worse that it was added in later to avoid the ESRB label. Overall screw Activision. I feel bad for the Crash fans, personally don't like Crash, but feel bad regardless.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
The microtransactions aren’t that awful and people just have to not buy them. Easy peachy unless you want to ruin the game for everyone.

Sorry bud, but you really don't understand how micro-transactions work.

Any micro-transaction is automatically an issue depending on the content being given and the context of the situation. There is a reason why micro-transactions is the term and not just called DLC. If you spend $3-$5 for a costume or character, no one really has issues with that: you go what you paid for, and it was content that wasn't there in the first place.

Micro-transactions are labeled as such because it's not a one-time deal. This isn't buying a new character or map: this is paying to play the game you paid for. For instance, the newest Assassin's Creed was ripped on for making sidequests essentially mandatory just to level up an progress throughout the game. However, if you just paid them some moolah, you could get experience boosters for your SINGLE PLAYER GAME to level up faster and not have to do so many sidequests. Micro-transactions can be tolerable IF they are not required. The minute you have to spend money multiple times on a game you already paid for is the minute there is a problem here. It's one of the reasons why Madden and NBA 2K and FIFA and pretty much every other sports game is trash right now because all there is to do is pay money for digital stuff that is obsolete in a year, and then they take none of that money to improve the next release.

Angry Joe covering Madden is something you should watch in your spare time. Really puts EA into perspective.

Lootboxes are where I always say no, and I think EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman might have been kinda referring to them more than micro-transactions. See, with most MTX, you know what you are getting. It may be a bit scummy that they are there, but most often you don't need to buy them and at least you get what you paid for. With lootboxes, it's a constant gamble. You are spending money for a CHANCE to get what you want, and they are setup to manipulate you to keep spending and spending and spending. They have hired people who are EXPERTS in psychology and EXPERTS in studies of addiction so that they can guarantee that you will get hooked and spend as much money as possible. Sorry mate, but when I buy my game, unless I'm paying for new content and I'm guaranteed to get what I pay for, I'm not spending a dime. I fell into that trap hard with Miitomo when it first came out on Android. I had never really messed with a mobile game before, but I spent way too much money just for a CHANCE to get cool clothes.

It's funny too, because this was a Nintendo thing. They give you so many free chances, and then you can get one or two more chances for like less than a dollar. You're brain says 'Less than a dollar? Hell yeah I can afford that! I got this!' and you repeatedly fall for it and now suddenly that less than a dollar has cost you $3 or $5 or $10 or more and you still didn't get what you wanted but you gotta have it! Now you are invested and determined! So you spend even more! Maybe you go for the $5 option to get a bonus pack of extra chances! See why this is such a bad thing?

It's why I get bored of mobiles games so quick. When they don't use ****ty lootbox tactics so that you are never guaranteed the character you want, they make it so a free-to-play player hits massive walls that take weeks to months or more to pass...but if you spend $5-$25 you can get all this bonus energy and resources and a free OP character!

It's scummy and pathetic. Half the time their games suck too and they really just want that quick cash that they can sucker out of people.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

It's more than just "not buy them," most games with microtransactions are design to make the grind more taxing to incentivize you to cut through the hassle by paying for it. It's a test of patience which in turn makes the game dull. The major problem with Crash Team Racing microtransactions isn't just a test of patience but it got people invested the game with its first month being free of microtransactions. When you're invested in a game you're more willing to pay the microtransactions, that's what a lot of AAA game with microtransactions try to do, most are unsuccessful but CTR succeeded because it got people to play it normally like a real video game. This is predatory practices that's aim towards children. You can say that you won't buy any of the microtransactions in CTR but since they're in there and they increase the prices it could make the game more of a drag to play.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think microtransactions are fine, as long as they're like Nintendo's or Minecraft's.

Though in Minecraft's case, you can technically remake some of the Bedrock Edition skins and use them for free on Windows 10, even some of the resourcepacks, heh...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's more than just "not buy them," most games with microtransactions are design to make the grind more taxing to incentivize you to cut through the hassle by paying for it. It's a test of patience which in turn makes the game dull. The major problem with Crash Team Racing microtransactions isn't just a test of patience but it got people invested the game with its first month being free of microtransactions. When you're invested in a game you're more willing to pay the microtransactions, that's what a lot of AAA game with microtransactions try to do, most are unsuccessful but CTR succeeded because it got people to play it normally like a real video game. This is predatory practices that's aim towards children. You can say that you won't buy any of the microtransactions in CTR but since they're in there and they increase the prices it could make the game more of a drag to play.
Here’s the thing doh.

So far, it hasn’t changed any mechanic yet.
So there hasn’t been changes to the game’s progression. If there were, I would be annoyed too.

Now I will go back to Discord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom