• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Honestly, the only thing that Gamefreak could say to get me hyped with that upcoming presentation would be if they acknowledged how screwed up they were in their decision making process and unveiled next year's "Super Sword" and "Ultra Shield" versions which will have all the pokemon playable. Until such time, I offer them two middle fingers up.
That's too much like New Coke/Coke Classic of a plan. Make big unliked changes to an established product, then after people grab their pitchforks and torchics, introduce the classic recipe back and rake in the billions.

Firox

Smash Master
That's too much like New Coke/Coke Classic of a plan. Make big unliked changes to an established product, then after people grab their pitchforks and torchics, introduce the classic recipe back and rake in the billions.
Yeah, on second thought, you may be right about that.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Alright so hypothetical question:

the starling leak isn't related to Smash but rather a remaster of Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars for Switch.

your reaction?
I honestly think I would almost prefer that. Because if that one is a success, then Square could easily see the benefits of making more which could give us him as a DLC later down the line (if he isn¨t in the pack that is).. Thinking in terms of long terms you now

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
oh nonononono hahahaha

The Snake joke wasn't approved by either his voice actor or Konami.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Watch them getting sued by either Konami or Hayter because of this

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Alright gang so here's what we're dealing with

The Starling
  • Has nothing to do with Fire Emblem (Leaker doesn't care about the series)
  • Most likely has nothing to do with Pokemon (Leaker doesn't especially like the direction of the new games)
  • The species of bird matters (so if he wanted to post a crow or an eagle, he would have posted a crow or an eagle)
  • Likely points to Smash (process of elimination, Sabi believes it's Smash)
Geno
  • Longtime fan-favourite for Smash
  • Sakurai has stated multiple times he wants him in the game
  • Both of Square-Enix's main series are represented in Smash
  • Despite having the rights to use Geno's likeness (spirit, player icon) the Mii costume did not return
  • Nintendo copyright claiming SMRPG music they should have no rights to (Yoko Shimomura has only ever released her SMRPG arrangements under the Square-Enix label)
  • Geno is literally a star-ling
  • Sakurai purchased a ViFam mech figure for the gun to use in a game and we haven't seen the gun's design anywhere
    • If it were for a character who was already in the game, every single other character with guns already has a 3D model he could have used for reference.
  • Nintendo has been weirdly talking about SMRPG over the last couple of years
  • Nintendo artist said SMRPG and Geno were the talk of the office back when Smash Ultimate's project plan was nearing completion
  • NoA leaker who has never been wrong and is the one who posted the starling image said he heard Geno as DLC forever ago
  • Jon from Gamexplain (who seems to know when a Nintendo Direct is going to happen weeks ahead of everyone else) has "predicted" Geno as DLC.
Am I missing anything?
This is a great summation of what we have so far. That said, I'm just going to say this: All due respect to Fatmanonice and his source, but if the Starling hint ends up being totally unrelated to Geno and as obscurely connected to it's actual reveal as the crab was to Zelda, then I'm going to have to just disregard any future "Picture Clues" that that source gives from here on out. I mean, the Banjo-Kazooie clue with the bear and bird was pretty obvious, but there's a limit to how obscure a clue can be before it's of little worth to anyone. If the picture was of a doll, even a generic one, I would think that would be a pretty serious push toward Geno. The confirmation of "Starling" being relevant is a pretty positive lead, but I don't want to get my hopes up playing mental gymnastics only for the real answer to be "Oh, yeah, the starling was for having Revali playable in the next trailer of Breath of the Wild 2! Surprise!" (Cool as that would be.)

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

the starling leak isn't related to Smash but rather a remaster of Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars for Switch.

your reaction?
I'd be thrilled for SMRPG Remaster but man, I really really want Geno in Smash Bros first and foremost.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
oh nonononono hahahaha

What was even the point of this? April Fools was months ago, and everyone already knew that Ultimate would cap off the event. :facepalm:

your reaction?
"Okay, but I hope there's a good reason for me to get a game I already own and love again."

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord

your reaction?
I think it's been discussed here on many on occasion but that would be as good if not better. bonus points if thats the secret project alphadream has been cooking up these past few years since they are formed from ex smrpg devs. having a triple A smrpg on the switch would completely blow all irrelevancy arguments out of the water and if geno didn't get in for the massive support that would grow exponentially once he's back in the limelight he could just as easily be a "shill" pick to promote it like luminary was for DQ11S. honestly this would probably be an even better turn of events then just a straight geno reveal.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Alright gang so here's what we're dealing with

The Starling
  • Has nothing to do with Fire Emblem (Leaker doesn't care about the series)
  • Most likely has nothing to do with Pokemon (Leaker doesn't especially like the direction of the new games)
  • The species of bird matters (so if he wanted to post a crow or an eagle, he would have posted a crow or an eagle)
  • Likely points to Smash (process of elimination, Sabi believes it's Smash)
Geno
  • Longtime fan-favourite for Smash
  • Sakurai has stated multiple times he wants him in the game
  • Both of Square-Enix's main series are represented in Smash
  • Despite having the rights to use Geno's likeness (spirit, player icon) the Mii costume did not return
  • Nintendo copyright claiming SMRPG music they should have no rights to (Yoko Shimomura has only ever released her SMRPG arrangements under the Square-Enix label)
  • Geno is literally a star-ling
  • Sakurai purchased a ViFam mech figure for the gun to use in a game and we haven't seen the gun's design anywhere
    • If it were for a character who was already in the game, every single other character with guns already has a 3D model he could have used for reference.
  • Nintendo has been weirdly talking about SMRPG over the last couple of years
  • Nintendo artist said SMRPG and Geno were the talk of the office back when Smash Ultimate's project plan was nearing completion
  • NoA leaker who has never been wrong and is the one who posted the starling image said he heard Geno as DLC forever ago
  • Jon from Gamexplain (who seems to know when a Nintendo Direct is going to happen weeks ahead of everyone else) has "predicted" Geno as DLC.
Am I missing anything?
Nope, that's basically all the major bits of info so far.

Last edited:

Zema

Smash Journeyman
Here's an interesting tidbit from Sakurai's interview 3 and a half years ago...

It really doesn't seem to me like Sakurai would pass over doing Geno's Mii Costume again if he wasn't playable. He specifically mentions having that Mii Costume so his fans feel like they "got something". And of course, Sakurai makes mention of Geno's popularity and how he felt he needed to do his fans justice.

So in that regard, I would say Geno's absence as a Mii Costume is more important than say Akira/Jacky from Virtua Fighter. Something people shouldn't overlook that easily. There's that hope at least.
Sakurai may have thought having Geno as a really strong spirit was Geno fans "getting something".

riggsbass

Smash Apprentice
I kind of thing the idea of it being a european Starling provides another little tease of it being Geno. Clearly SMRPG didn't hit Europe in the 90s, so there's always been an understanding that he's never been to Europe. Could be flying on in!

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I kind of thing the idea of it being a european Starling provides another little tease of it being Geno. Clearly SMRPG didn't hit Europe in the 90s, so there's always been an understanding that he's never been to Europe. Could be flying on in!
It's times like these where I can't tell if we're just looking too deep into this or not

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
oh nonononono hahahaha

I still don’t understand how someone thought this was a smart/cool thing to do that people would like and not something that’d get them immediate backlash from fans and Konami.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Here are five questions that seem good for Geno fans...

1. What does the Starling bird refer to?

2. Why was his Mii Costume (as well as Chocobo's) not present in the Square DLC pack despite Joker having six Sega costumes in his DLC pack?

3. Why hassle for the rights to Megasmilax, Geno, Mallow, etc. if you have no future plans for any of these characters?

4. Why did Nintendo acknowledge Mario RPG's birthday last year despite not caring about it for decades?

5. Why were Armed Boss and Forest Maze specifically taken down by Nintendo, not Square? I thought Shimomura was a freelancer. Doesn't that mean Square owns that music?

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
SMRPG did appear in Europe on the Wii Virtual Console. So he has been in Europe before.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This is a great summation of what we have so far. That said, I'm just going to say this: All due respect to Fatmanonice and his source, but if the Starling hint ends up being totally unrelated to Geno and as obscurely connected to it's actual reveal as the crab was to Zelda, then I'm going to have to just disregard any future "Picture Clues" that that source gives from here on out. I mean, the Banjo-Kazooie clue with the bear and bird was pretty obvious, but there's a limit to how obscure a clue can be before it's of little worth to anyone. If the picture was of a doll, even a generic one, I would think that would be a pretty serious push toward Geno. The confirmation of "Starling" being relevant is a pretty positive lead, but I don't want to get my hopes up playing mental gymnastics only for the real answer to be "Oh, yeah, the starling was for having Revali playable in the next trailer of Breath of the Wild 2! Surprise!" (Cool as that would be.)
I suppose there's no harm in saying it but there's not going to be anymore picture clues until further notice. The pictures were supposed to be a bit of fun but the Smash fanbase was ravenous and harassing Sabi about it non-stop. I didn't know about this until this past weekend but apparently she's been swamped by threats from people hungry for info and it's honestly killed the fun of it. Thankfully, you all were respectful but it's kind of a testament of how bull**** the Smash fanbase can be at times.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Wait what? Is anybody actually upset about that? Shoot I'd be ecstatic if we got an undertale rep. Smash remixes of any of those songs would be godly. I'm personally hoping for Sans, but Frisk would be cool too.
Not a lot but as I was reading through the thread I saw a couple people grumbling about the supposed Undertale leak. I know it's hard to believe because UT is so wonderful. I totally agree about music too.

I think Sans would be cool too and some others have mentioned that they think he is more iconic which is accurate imo since he also shows up in Deltarune. But while Sans certainly doesn't lack movesets potential I actually think the Human has a lot more. But I'm not going to go into that unless I'm asked about it cuz this is the Geno thread and I still want Geno more.

Some others have argued that UT is all about pacifism so having a rep in Smash wouldn't make sense but thats just silly. Animal Crossing isn't about violence. It's not a rule that fighters have to be warriors or even remotely violent for that matter and I think that's just tunnel vision. And it's kind of telling that in order to get part of the whole story of UT you need to do a genocide run. I mean come on...but I do think that the human and even possibly Sans would need to lean heavily into UT lore which would result in spoilers especially for the Human. I guess Corrine kind of spoils the fact that the protagonist in his/her games can be a manaketes but that's not really the same as spoilers in UT.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not alone on this thread in liking the idea of an UT rep.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I suppose there's no harm in saying it but there's not going to be anymore picture clues until further notice. The pictures were supposed to be a bit of fun but the Smash fanbase was ravenous and harassing Sabi about it non-stop. I didn't know about this until this past weekend but apparently she's been swamped by threats from people hungry for info and it's honestly killed the fun of it. Thankfully, you all were respectful but it's kind of a testament of how bull**** the Smash fanbase can be at times.
Oh God, that sucks. I hope those "fans" got told off because that is straight up awful of them to do.

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces

your reaction?
Equally as good. Arguably better! No way we wouldn’t eventually get Geno in Smash if that happens, and I’ve been dying for a SMRPG remake for years now.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
That is very unfortunate. I am sorry to hear this. Do you think even though there won't be anymore clues, will we ever hear the outcome of the bird or do you believe this is just something we should probably just drop from our speculation?

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Firox Firox at the same time, that wouldn't make sense. The leaker clarified that the type of the bird is important, and Revali... i'm not sure what he has to do with that. I know you were just making an example, but i'm trying to say that there is a very limited pool of things this could be at this point, most of which being things we probably wouldn't be able to guess, and others being possible good things for Geno's chances

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
This is why we can’t have nice things.

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
Well, I believe there was a misunderstanding in what the community wanted. The community does not want "a bit of fun" in leaks, they just want the straight-out confirmation of the character and the hard date of when it will be announced.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Well, I believe there was a misunderstanding in what the community wanted. The community does not want "a bit of fun" in leaks, they just want the straight-out confirmation of the character and the hard date of when it will be announced.
I am just happy knowing if Geno is in or out. That was what I was most frustrated about earlier. I understand she is in a position where she cannot tell us anything, but like I mentioned, after the Piranha Plant thing, I am just sick and tired of holding onto all false hope only for it to go completely wrong in the last minute.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That is worst case scenario but also a very likely scenario.
Then in that case, keep trying until they run out of Square characters that haven't been considered yet! Stupid Square and its labyrinthine bureaucracy.

Not unexpected behavior, sadly. At least speculation will be more freed up after this all bird business blows over, but that's the only positive side of it. A million leakers, and one of the only legit ones gets attacked simply because the larger fanbase completely forgot how to wait for things. Thanks to this, we'll mostly be stuck with a bunch of phonies until next game.

Sometimes, neophytes are a mistake.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
That doesn’t excuse horrible behavior. Some people were perfectly fine with just knowing it meant something, too. Those other guys could’ve kept their traps shut if they were that entitled.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
TBH, although i'm sure Fatman has good intentions, this is what will happen if you dangle something in front of people's faces and say "this could be what you want, this could not be what you want", and after Geno fans got soured and trashed for months and months after the Grinch leak, it's not surprising that this kind of reaction happened, for better or worse

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I wouldn't even be surprised if she was harassed by people who aren't Geno fans or fans of other characters.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That is very unfortunate. Do you think even though there won't be anymore clues, will we ever hear the outcome of the bird or do you believe this is just something we should probably just drop from our speculation?
We're all still friends so it's not like there was a breaking off or anything. Basically, nothing's going to get out unless Sabi and/or Sabi's old source give expressed permission for it. As for the starling, I'm waiting to see what happens on Wednesday. Apparently multiple people already know what's in the presentation including VR-Plant and we're currently wondering if he'll publically say anything today or tomorrow. Again, if Wednesday passes without incident, I think it's going to make things interesting.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
That sucks, but I totally understand.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I still believe the starling means something, I just don't know if that means Geno or something else. Of course I would like it if it were a hint for Geno making the Smash roster, but I'm not about to project my expectations over a hint that could potentially be about something else. I think too many people have gone that route as displayed last night.

However, as many others have already said, the missing Mii costume is suspicious and probably the best thing to happen to us in a while, so I'm willing to at least hold that bit of information until further notice.

Loog

Smash Apprentice
What I¨m trying to say is this. With Banjo, DQ and Persona, we have no spirits what so ever in the base game. together with Nintendo have tried to be very tightlipped about it to the point that they send a C&D to Sabi. So why show that they have access to Geno yet again then? That would just ruin the surprise if anything.
We technically knew about a dragon quest rep for awhile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom