• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Just a thought couldn't they think of a canon reason why geno is playable in a trailer if that is such an issue?
There's really no reason they can't do whatever they want. Arbitrary fan rules would have you believe otherwise

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Just a thought couldn't they think of a canon reason why geno is playable in a trailer if that is such an issue?
They could totally just show Geno’s spirit breaking free of being controlled and joining Hero in his fight against possessed fighters.

Firox

Smash Master
Person: 'Sakurai, can you explain the in story reason how Geno is playable?'
Sakurai: 'Of course. Because I wanted him playable.'
Person: 'But the story.'
Sakurai: -Flips table- 'Story that.'
Pretty much. Since Smash 4, when have we ever needed a canonical reason for characters to be playable? How do we explain Chrom being playable and a final smash at the same time? What people don't understand is that the true Master Hands of the smash world belong to Sakurai himself. His will molds the in-game universe. Wolf led a rebellion against him after brawl, and for that, he and his comrades were cast into the void. Only through the prayers of the masses were they granted amnesty and released back into the world of smash. Only Sakurai's benevolence can make our dreams reality.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Pretty much. Since Smash 4, when have we ever needed a canonical reason for characters to be playable? How do we explain Chrom being playable and a final smash at the same time? What people don't understand is that the true Master Hands of the smash world belong to Sakurai himself. His will molds the in-game universe. Wolf led a rebellion against him after brawl, and for that, he and his comrades were cast into the void. Only through the prayers of the masses were they granted amnesty and released back into the world of smash. Only Sakurai's benevolence can make our dreams reality.
Chrom getting final smashed by Chrom in Robin's final smash along with Chrom in a Mii Costume. Then you get Chrom to appear in Robin's victory screen against Chrom.

Fan rules are for the weak minded.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
So, today at around 2AM (real early), Sakurai tweeted a picture of a birthday cake his dev team presented to him for his Birthday. A pretty awesome one too! Smash Bros. Ultimate themed. Ah, a cake. Hmm... a cake...?

*sips Kero Kero Cola*
WE'VE CRACKED THE CODE!!
Chrom getting final smashed by Chrom in Robin's final smash along with Chrom in a Mii Costume. Then you get Chrom to appear in Robin's victory screen against Chrom.

Those weren't true Chroms though, the rule still stands. :ultpiranha:

D

Deleted member

So, today at around 2AM (real early), Sakurai tweeted a picture of a birthday cake his dev team presented to him for his Birthday. A pretty awesome one too! Smash Bros. Ultimate themed. Ah, a cake. Hmm... a cake...?

*sips Kero Kero Cola*
Bundt is finally in. We finally have the Super Mario RPG rep we deserve! We did it Bundt Bros! We made it!

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
What if it was because the spirit was just of the doll (Geno) and not of the star warrior inside (♡♪!?) and he just finds another one of the many Geno dolls or something like that
I think that is another possible situation. It would be kind of funny for Sakurai to make that explanation if that were the case.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Sakurai: “I’d really like something Geno in the base game for the fans, but I want him as a fighter, too...

...oh, I know! ‘Geno’ is the doll, so use that to represent him as a spirit, and when I make him a fighter, use his true form as his fighter spirit! He can just possess some other Geno doll.”

-Assuming Sakurai thought similar to this, if lore actually matters the tiniest bit since it already seems it doesn’t, and if the spirit wasn’t just decided on before DLC plans were finished.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

*sips Kero Kero Cola*
I know you're joking, but it's just a cake, it's not a hint towards anything. The pancake theory is bad enough. Would have loved a slice of it though.

I've cracked the code.

The bird is a pokemon. Possibly Starly. The image is a photograph of a pokemon.

Pokemon Snap 2 confirmed.
But what if it doesn't show up Wednesday, what then?

Yeah, it's just a simple game, you know. Unfortunately plenty of people don't listen to reason in regards to that here...

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
There's really no reason they can't do whatever they want. Arbitrary fan rules would have you believe otherwise
Then why show the card of having access to Geno in the first place? It's not like we had Banjo, Persona or DQ spirits in the base game. Removing a JPG isn¨t exactly hard (playing devils advocate here)

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
What if.. The starling pic is a hint towards Geno.. Then Why.

There's something that bugs me the most, why he is the only one that leaked something like that 3 weeks ago, why so early why so uniq.
I know for a fact, .... Well not so fact, but I remember in this thread that the people who has contact with this person said that he wants Geno too, right? he also listened to one of its bosses (I dunno if it was the direct boss) that Geno Might be DLC ( Fatmanonice Fatmanonice help me out here about that story. Please :< )
What if its Geno, what if this boss did a spoiler on him and that's the reason of why he is the only one who knows something in the InsidersPool for around 3 Weeks..

I just don't buy it being a Common Pokémon cuz is just tooo unimportant
Gen 4 Remake? Nah, Remember the Starling is meaningful, it needs more than "Is because of Starly"
I really think it's Geno, and if it's not Smash related then what

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Here's an interesting tidbit from Sakurai's interview 3 and a half years ago...

Interviewer: And that's why you included him as a Mii Costume this time around?

Sakurai: Yes. He's incredibly popular. Even though he's an old character, we keep getting loads of votes and requests for us to put him in the game. Even though he still isn't in as a playable fighter, I made sure he'd be in as a Mii costume so his fans would at least feel that they got something.
It really doesn't seem to me like Sakurai would pass over doing Geno's Mii Costume again if he wasn't playable. He specifically mentions having that Mii Costume so his fans feel like they "got something". And of course, Sakurai makes mention of Geno's popularity and how he felt he needed to do his fans justice.

So in that regard, I would say Geno's absence as a Mii Costume is more important than say Akira/Jacky from Virtua Fighter. Something people shouldn't overlook that easily. There's that hope at least.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don’t think the starling has anything to do with Pokémon. Why tease a new ‘mon? He already doesn’t like Sw/Sh. And Game Freak is really losing their touch if they’re seriously already working on Gen 4 remakes.

It’s either wordplay for Geno or something else starling-related, but it couldn’t be a new series...maybe an SMRPG sequel...

Then why show the card of having access to Geno in the first place? It's not like we had Banjo, Persona or DQ spirits in the base game. Removing a JPG isn¨t exactly hard (playing devils advocate here)
Why would we have Persona, Banjo, or DQ spirits in the basegame when they’re from completely new, third-party-owned series with no other representation if they were just spirits? Nintendo has at least already worked with Square before regarding Geno and SMRPG.

Sakurai probably wanted Geno stuff in the basegame for fans, and possibly had the spirit before DLC was even decided.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I'm not sure I understand the question.
Why would we have Persona, Banjo, or DQ spirits in the basegame when they’re from completely new, third-party-owned series with no other representation if they were just spirits? Nintendo has at least already worked with Square before regarding Geno and SMRPG.
What I¨m trying to say is this. With Banjo, DQ and Persona, we have no spirits what so ever in the base game. together with Nintendo have tried to be very tightlipped about it to the point that they send a C&D to Sabi. So why show that they have access to Geno yet again then? That would just ruin the surprise if anything.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Here's an interesting tidbit from Sakurai's interview 3 and a half years ago...

It really doesn't seem to me like Sakurai would pass over doing Geno's Mii Costume again if he wasn't playable. He specifically mentions having that Mii Costume so his fans feel like they "got something". And of course, Sakurai makes mention of Geno's popularity and how he felt he needed to do his fans justice.

So in that regard, I would say Geno's absence as a Mii Costume is more important than say Akira/Jacky from Virtua Fighter. Something people shouldn't overlook that easily. There's that hope at least.
Oh and of course, Virtua Fighter is already represented in Ultimate with an Assist Trophy (Akira). Even more reason why Sakurai wouldn't bother bringing back the Mii Costume.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
What if.. The starling pic is a hint towards Geno.. Then Why.

There's something that bugs me the most, why he is the only one that leaked something like that 3 weeks ago, why so early why so uniq.
I know for a fact, .... Well not so fact, but I remember in this thread that the people who has contact with this person said that he wants Geno too, right? he also listened to one of its bosses (I dunno if it was the direct boss) that Geno Might be DLC ( Fatmanonice Fatmanonice help me out here about that story. Please :< )
What if its Geno, what if this boss did a spoiler on him and that's the reason of why he is the only one who knows something in the InsidersPool for around 3 Weeks..

I just don't buy it being a Common Pokémon cuz is just tooo unimportant
Gen 4 Remake? Nah, Remember the Starling is meaningful, it needs more than "Is because of Starly"
I really think it's Geno, and if it's not Smash related then what
The thing that people here are forgetting is that Game Freak's A and B teams are already occupied with their projects. A team is working on that project gearbox or town game while the B team is working on Sword & Shield. How would they have enough time to add in a Diamond and Pearl remake within their schedules?

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Some brand-new third-party made, first-party-published indie game about raising birds as the successor to Nintendogs and Nintencats?

I dunno, that's my best guess.
Hang on a second.. I think I know who Sabi's source is.. It all makes sense! The bird was the key

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I thought they were more concerned about Sabi leaking the E3 direct's general content than Ultimate itself. Everyone and their mother talked about DQ content possibility for months, and nobody from SE budged.

Heck, even saying the title of the new Animal Crossing would have been enough to trigger the ninjas, methinks.

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
So why show that they have access to Geno yet again then? That would just ruin the surprise if anything.
You see, given that a lot of people think Geno is out of the running because of his spirit, nobody is expecting him now - then boom! Geno gets confirmed as a fighter. That's how they getcha.

Genokie

Smash Rookie
They have finally bought the rights or Square Enix is doing a sequel and/or porting over the original?
Nintendo secretly buying the rights to Geno/other SMRPG assets would be a dream come true. But I'd happily take a sequel/remaster...really anything...

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
The thing that people here are forgetting is that Game Freak's A and B teams are already occupied with their projects. A team is working on that project gearbox or town game while the B team is working on Sword & Shield. How would they have enough time to add in a Diamond and Pearl remake within their schedules?
Gamefreak will do their usual strategy: Have Team A and Team B work side by side with each having a couple of team members on one team that the other team doesn't have and vice versa (the bosses will have to trade them), then form Team C a year or two later that combines both Team A and B.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
What I¨m trying to say is this. With Banjo, DQ and Persona, we have no spirits what so ever in the base game. together with Nintendo have tried to be very tightlipped about it to the point that they send a C&D to Sabi. So why show that they have access to Geno yet again then? That would just ruin the surprise if anything.
Geno being nothing but a spirit in the basegame would do nothing against a surprise, it could even help it. And there was no way they were gonna include DQ, Banjo-Kazooie, and Persona spirits with no other representation, I don’t really get why these three are being used as examples.

They sent a C&D to Sabi, but they did nothing to her source; they only sent the C&D because of how public she was about her info, and were afraid she was gonna leak all of E3 since she had 100% correct info about the other companies’ presentations and announced she’d be leaking beforehand, but they didn’t know who she was getting her info from. People already knew about Hero (or Erdrick) since September or November last year, with PapaGenos hearing about Banjo around October during the Grinch Leak. They’re doing a bad job at being tight-lipped, anyway. Even Piranha Plant was leaked beforehand; the only one who wasn’t leaked was Joker, but there could’ve even been a legit post leaking him somewhere. Just because some things don’t leak doesn’t mean they’re actually tight-lipped that much; insiders even knew of K. Rool, Ken, and Incineroar before their directs, but chose to say nothing until The Grinch’s Wild Ride. It’s entirely possible this Nintendo dude in their discord knows of Geno in advance.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
You know, with all this talk about Spirits deconfirming and fan-made rules spitting in our tea, I honestly hope Sakurai goes full on troll with Geno's reveal. I could see it now...

(Fade in: Two stanky teenage boys are on a couch playing Smash Bros Ultimate together. One turns to the other after getting the Geno spirit in WoL.)

"Yeah, too bad this guy's never gonna be playable. Him and Marsh-Mallow are too irrelevant to ever get into Smash."

(Sakurai runs down the stairs into the basement where the boys are playing, then stares into the camera with his hands in the "focus" position.)

"Smash Bros Developer, Masahiro Sakurai?! What are you doing here?!" the boys ask in unison.

"Anata wa hoshi no chikara o utagaimasu ka? ! Watashi no chikara o miyo!" (translation: "You doubt the power of the stars?! Behold my power!")

(The Geno spirit on-screen explodes into full 3-D, kicking off a montage of gameplay and ending with both of the boys' fighters getting KOed.)

"Gee willikers, Mr. Sakurai, we had no idea how awesome Geno is! Please forgive us!"

(Sakurai winks at the camera, his teeth sparkling perfectly on cue.)

"Itsu demo, watashi no subarashī wakai baka! Don'na toki mo!" (translation: "Any time, my fine, young idiots! Any time!")

(Sakurai flies up through the ceiling like Superman, leaving behind splintered wood and broken concrete. Cut to black.)

I should totally direct commercials for the Super Bowl.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
DaxMasterix DaxMasterix I wasn't going to go into it until the Pokemon info drop came and went without incident but my main thought is that, if it really is Smash, characters being leaked far in advance is not unusual. Here's basically the layout of all the newcomers and returning veterans and if and when they were leaked by reputable insiders:

-Inkling (didn't leak)
-Ridley, Daisy, Snake, Ice Climbers, and Wolf (month and a half)
-Pokemon Trainer, Young Link, and Pichu (didn't leak)
-Simon (three months)
-Chrom (the morning of)
-Dark Samus, Richter, and K. Rool (didn't leak)
-Isabelle (month and a half)
-Ken, Inceniroar, and Piranha Plant (three months)
-Joker (didn't leak)
-Hero (10 months)
-Banjo (7 months)

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
You see, given that a lot of people think Geno is out of the running because of his spirit, nobody is expecting him now - then boom! Geno gets confirmed as a fighter. That's how they getcha.
They sent a C&D to Sabi, but they did nothing to her source; they only sent the C&D because of how public she was about her info, but they didn’t know who she was getting her info from. People already knew about Hero (or Erdrick) since September or November last year, with PapaGenos hearing about Banjo around October during the Grinch Leak. They’re doing a bad job at being tight-lipped, anyway. Even Piranha Plant was leaked beforehand; the only one who wasn’t leaked was Joker, but there could’ve even been a legit post leaking him somewhere. Just because some things don’t leak doesn’t mean they’re actually tight-lipped that much; insiders even knew of K. Rool, Ken, and Incineroar before their directs, but chose to say nothing until The Grinch’s Wild Ride.
I know that they are making a bad job of it. But it's still them trying to do so. But it still feels like such an odd (but not impossible) choice of action to me. I don¨t know. maybe it's my "rather be scared but prepared" part of me talking

Dynamic Worlok

You know, with all this talk about Spirits deconfirming and fan-made rules spitting in our tea, I honestly hope Sakurai goes full on troll with Geno's reveal. I could see it now...

(Fade in: Two stanky teenage boys are on a couch playing Smash Bros Ultimate together. One turns to the other after getting the Geno spirit in WoL.)

"Yeah, too bad this guy's never gonna be playable. Him and Marsh-Mallow are too irrelevant to ever get into Smash."

(Sakurai runs down the stairs into the basement where the boys are playing, then stares into the camera with his hands in the "focus" position.)

"Smash Bros Developer, Masahiro Sakurai?! What are you doing here?!" the boys ask in unison.

"Anata wa hoshi no chikara o utagaimasu ka? ! Watashi no chikara o miyo!" (translation: "You doubt the power of the stars?! Behold my power!")

(The Geno spirit on-screen explodes into full 3-D, kicking off a montage of gameplay and ending with both of the boys' fighters getting KOed.)

"Gee willikers, Mr. Sakurai, we had no idea how awesome Geno is! Please forgive us!"

(Sakurai winks at the camera, his teething sparkling perfectly on cue.)

"Itsu demo, watashi no subarashī wakai baka! Don'na toki mo!" (translation: "Any time, my fine, young idiots! Any time!")

(Sakurai flies up through the ceiling like Superman, leaving behind splintered wood and broken concrete. Cut to black.)

I should totally direct commercials for the Super Bowl.
That would be a total fever-dream of fun

Genokie

Smash Rookie
This has to be what the starling is referring to. It's so obvious:

Toucan Sam follows his nose!

On a serious note, with the revelation that the type of bird is important, I think the chances that it's related to Geno went up. Though I am worried about the Pokemon presentation on Wednesday...

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Honestly, the only thing that Gamefreak could say to get me hyped with that upcoming presentation would be if they acknowledged how screwed up they were in their decision making process and unveiled next year's "Super Sword" and "Ultra Shield" versions which will have all the pokemon playable. Until such time, I offer them two middle fingers up.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Alright gang so here's what we're dealing with

The Starling
  • Has nothing to do with Fire Emblem (Leaker doesn't care about the series)
  • Most likely has nothing to do with Pokemon (Leaker doesn't especially like the direction of the new games)
  • The species of bird matters (so if he wanted to post a crow or an eagle, he would have posted a crow or an eagle)
  • Likely points to Smash (process of elimination, Sabi believes it's Smash)
Geno
  • Longtime fan-favourite for Smash
  • Sakurai has stated multiple times he wants him in the game
  • Both of Square-Enix's main series are represented in Smash
  • Despite having the rights to use Geno's likeness (spirit, player icon) the Mii costume did not return
  • Nintendo copyright claiming SMRPG music they should have no rights to (Yoko Shimomura has only ever released her SMRPG arrangements under the Square-Enix label)
  • Geno is literally a star-ling
  • Sakurai purchased a ViFam mech figure for the gun to use in a game and we haven't seen the gun's design anywhere
    • If it were for a character who was already in the game, every single other character with guns already has a 3D model he could have used for reference.
  • Nintendo has been weirdly talking about SMRPG over the last couple of years
  • Nintendo artist said SMRPG and Geno were the talk of the office back when Smash Ultimate's project plan was nearing completion
  • NoA leaker who has never been wrong and is the one who posted the starling image said he heard Geno as DLC forever ago
  • Jon from Gamexplain (who seems to know when a Nintendo Direct is going to happen weeks ahead of everyone else) has "predicted" Geno as DLC.
Am I missing anything?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Alright so hypothetical question:

the starling leak isn't related to Smash but rather a remaster of Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars for Switch.

your reaction?

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
DaxMasterix DaxMasterix I wasn't going to go into it until the Pokemon info drop came and went without incident but my main thought is that, if it really is Smash, characters being leaked far in advance is not unusual. Here's basically the layout of all the newcomers and returning veterans and if and when they were leaked by reputable insiders:

-Inkling (didn't leak)
-Ridley, Daisy, Snake, Ice Climbers, and Wolf (month and a half)
-Pokemon Trainer, Young Link, and Pichu (didn't leak)
-Simon (three months)
-Chrom (the morning of)
-Dark Samus, Richter, and K. Rool (didn't leak)
-Isabelle (month and a half)
-Ken, Inceniroar, and Piranha Plant (three months)
-Joker (didn't leak)
-Hero (10 months)
-Banjo (7 months)
This add more fuuueeel

Also, the guy knows Sabi is a Geno supporter, we all are! I think the first thing that a Geno fan would think with a Starling, is in our little star warrior!
I mean, (If the hint isn't towards Geno) he would be prepared like "uhhh but this also would hints towards Geno.. i don't want that because it isn't Geno.. I'm gonna change it" Right?

I bought myself, for me it's a Geno Hint, I don't know if it's about smash anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom