• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
But you did say they aren't going to be playable.

And yes, I am aware that you also said "they're not going to be playable any time soon" but you did in fact, say that they "aren't going to be playable".
For the CURRENT Fighters Pass Spirits aren't going to be playable. If by some chance they decided to continue making DLC then Spirits aren't going to be holding any character back from being playable, hence why I say "they're not going to be playable any time soon." There's a chance that a Season 2 might happen and a chance that this is it. But all I know is that the last two fighters aren't going to be Spirits.

Loog

Smash Apprentice
Okay, during Smash Bros 3DS & Wii U they weren't too sure if they were going to make DLC, so when they worked on the trophies they just filled it up with as much as they can. One month after 3DS release they announce that they will work on DLC by showing an incomplete Mewtwo model. That was show in October and took like seven months for Mewtwo to release. They state that it take 10 months for a character to be made, so Mewtwo was decided on very late in development when the Mewtwo Trophy was already created. Since each trophy is a 3D Model with a description it took a good amount of time to make when compare to Spirits which were just grab the first thing you saw on Google Image and program the battle which took extremely less time. They could throw away a Spirit if they wanted to since it took nothing to make, in fact we have seen Spirits get thrown away before in the datamine, but Trophies took a lot of time to make. There's no way they're throwing away all that work just because they're making that character into a Fighter.

Also in-lore explanation for trophies are that they're just figures, not the characters. Smash Bros is a story of playing with toys, so it stands reason to believe that someone can just grab many of the figures they and play with that. Spirits are the actual characters that lost their body to Galeem and are unable to return to the real world to join the rest of the fighters (a real quote from Sakurai). That implies that they have a plan with Spirits hence why they won't be playable in the current Fighters Pass.
do you really think they were thinking about the lore when making dlc? also isn't it possible they could have decided on geno after adding in the spirit? Do we know when the spirits were decided on?

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
For the CURRENT Fighters Pass Spirits aren't going to be playable. If by some chance they decided to continue making DLC then Spirits aren't going to be holding any character back from being playable, hence why I say "they're not going to be playable any time soon." There's a chance that a Season 2 might happen and a chance that this is it. But all I know is that the last two fighters aren't going to be Spirits.
Citation needed

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
The thing about a hint is that it needs to be something you can actually guess. If it was supposed to reference a new Pokemon, there is no way we'd be able to figure it out. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the last time he posted a hint for Pokemon, it was just three pokeballs. Link's Awakening has its sandcrab enemies and I don't think a picture of a bear needs much explanation.

It was always possible to guess what the hint was pointing at before, albeit with varying levels of obscurity. If this were a hint to a Pokemon we'd never seen before, how were we expected to guess it? No, that doesn't make sense. The ambassador doesn't even like what he's seen of SW/SH. This is 100% Smash related.
Just going through the Pokémon/starling related possibilities they all seem like massive stretches and/or just don’t line up:

New Pokémon that is a starling: Why would a random bird Pokémon be worth hinting at on the level of a Link’s Awakening remake or Banjo in Smash

Starly coming back for SW/SH: .... who would honestly care/be hyped for this? Again not on the level of Banjo or a Zelda remake.

Gen 4 remake: Way too soon as SW/SH hasn’t released yet. Also the tease is pretty specific to Galar. Announcements of remakes usually have something about “A big announcement” not “hey who wants to learn more stuff?”. Like the tone of the tweet is completely off for a new game announcement.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
My main thought right now is that if the Pokemon info drop passes and there's nothing pertaining to a starling, I don't think it would be at all unreasonable to hard focus on wordplay and puns instead of a literal bird but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Porkybro passing through .
Sorry things didn’t go your way, hopefully something comes of Geno soon.
But hey, if it makes your feel any better, at least he actually has a spirit in the game already, unlike a certain Pork boi...

Keep your head up friends :)
I do find it weird that porkybros are completely missing. I think you have more going for you than you realize. SOMETHING will happen regarding porky.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Porkybro passing through .
Sorry things didn’t go your way, hopefully something comes of Geno soon.
But hey, if it makes your feel any better, at least he actually has a spirit in the game already, unlike a certain Pork boi...

Keep your head up friends :)

The complete lack of porky still makes me believe there could possibly be something Porky related coming. Keep your chin up

MattX20

Smash Hero
My main thought right now is that if the Pokemon info drop passes and there's nothing pertaining to a starling, I don't think it would be at all unreasonable to hard focus on wordplay and puns instead of a literal bird but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
Is the source a big fan of Starly and its evolutionary line? If he isn't, then chances are it's not Pokemon

Genokie

Smash Rookie
I've been hoping to see Geno return for two decades, and have been hoping for him in Smash since Brawl speculation days. I've been following every post in this and the Wii U threads, but have never participated in the discussion until now. Decided to finally make an account and get involved. Geno has always been the only character I've wanted, and I hope he finally gets in chance as DLC. Keep fighting!

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
even if they did, it's doubtful they'd get a straight answer.
It'd be bad business sense to rip that bandaid off and risk a large amount of people writing off the fighter's pass as a lost cause. As long as you keep people paying attention, you increase your potential sales exponentially.
It’s not like he’s had an issue with deconfirming possibilities before though like saying no characters that didn’t originate in video games. And from Nintendo/Sakurai’s perspective even if it deconfirmed a lot of characters there are still many third parties and even first parties like Porky and Sylux that aren’t spirits.

Really a confirmation that they do deconfirm would only be clarifying the thing he said in the direct about how spirits were characters that weren’t able to be fighters. It would technically be a statement he’s already made.

Dynamic Worlok

It’s not like he’s had an issue with deconfirming possibilities before though like saying no characters that didn’t originate in video games. And from Nintendo/Sakurai’s perspective even if it deconfirmed a lot of characters there are still many third parties and even first parties like Porky and Sylux that aren’t spirits.

Really a confirmation that they do deconfirm would only be clarifying the thing he said in the direct about how spirits were characters that weren’t able to be fighters. It would technically be a statement he’s already made.
A fair point. It would be nice to actually know.

I've been hoping to see Geno return for two decades, and have been hoping for him in Smash since Brawl speculation days. I've been following every post in this and the Wii U threads, but have never participated in the discussion until now. Decided to finally make an account and get involved. Geno has always been the only character I've wanted, and I hope he finally gets in chance as DLC. Keep fighting!
Welcome to the thread, mon amie

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Is the source a big fan of Starly and its evolutionary line? If he isn't, then chances are it's not Pokemon
Like I said, they kind of openly resent Sword and Shield. Like I said the other day, a few weeks back, he posted a 4chan post with a sprawling list of Pokemon claims and basically said "I wish more of this stupid game would leak." As a group, we were all so uninterested that nobody commented on it but, looking back, it's probably safe to assume that a lot if not everything in the post was true. Personally, I don't even remember what was on it for the most part. It had like 20 something bullet points and the only one that stuck with me was the claim that Skorbunny's final evolution was going to be another "fake out" Pokemon like Inceniroar, looking like a Fire/Fighting type but actually being pure Fire.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I really encourage everyone who is upset about the possibility of the Human from Undertale being playable to give Undertale a try it's truly a game unlike any other. It will surprise you and make you laugh out loud and you will love it if you give it the chance. It will not be super obvious what kind of playstyle this kind of character would have in Smash but the more you think about it, the more you will see how incredibly unique and awesome the character would be on the roster. If you'd like me to elaborate I will.

Dynamic Worlok

I really encourage everyone who is upset about the possibility of the Human from Undertale being playable to give Undertale a try it's truly a game unlike any other. It will surprise you and make you laugh out loud and you will love it if you give it the chance. It will not be super obvious what kind of playstyle this kind of character would have in Smash but the more you think about it, the more you will see how incredibly unique and awesome the character would be on the roster. If you'd like me to elaborate I will.
I love undertale to death, I think it's wonderfully charming and very enjoyable. I just think having the player character as the smash rep kind of goes against the theme of finding nonviolent solutions to violent conflicts. I mean, if they can find a way to make it work, I'd be all for it, but I feel like another character like sans or undyne might make a better choice, purely from a fighter standpoint. That aside, this probably aint the place for it m8

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Wait what? Is anybody actually upset about that? Shoot I'd be ecstatic if we got an undertale rep. Smash remixes of any of those songs would be godly. I'm personally hoping for Sans, but Frisk would be cool too.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
do you really think they were thinking about the lore when making dlc? also isn't it possible they could have decided on geno after adding in the spirit? Do we know when the spirits were decided on?
Playing devils advocate here (since I think it's not an impossibility for a spirit to be playable in this pass). To say that DLC was an "afterthought" are pretty.. dare I say naive? Especially when negotiating for a third party takes time and are not just "shake hands and then there's that". The action of negotiating to use a Geno jpg and Hero as a character on different occasion makes no sense concidering they are both from the same company. We also have to keep in mind about this. Why show your hand that you have access to character X in the base game if you are going to make him DLC later down the line. It¨s not like we got Banjo, Persona or DQ spirits in the base game. However, then we have the Geno costume that is missing. Could be anything from they did not grab it for some reason(s) (why I would think be rather weird, but you never know) the costume comes later, or as we all hope... he is playable.

I¨m not in the 100% train of Spirits are de-confirming.. But I can¨t say with a straight face that I don¨t understand people why they think they are (especially third parties)

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
fi
i wouldn’t mind if the human got in(of course I still want geno over anyone) but I just feel sans is more iconic to undertale. Granted I’ve not played it yet, just watched the battles and especially the sans fight. I just feel if anyone from that game got in, it should be him.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Like I said, they kind of openly resent Sword and Shield. Like I said the other day, a few weeks back, he posted a 4chan post with a sprawling list of Pokemon claims and basically said "I wish more of this stupid game would leak." As a group, we were all so uninterested that nobody commented on it but, looking back, it's probably safe to assume that a lot if not everything in the post was true. Personally, I don't even remember what was on it for the most part. It had like 20 something bullet points and the only one that stuck with me was the claim that Skorbunny's final evolution was going to be another "fake out" Pokemon like Inceniroar, looking like a Fire/Fighting type but actually being pure Fire.
Yeah that was the big deatailed /vp/ leak that wound up being confirmed during the next direct/trailers. There was also nothing explicitly starling/bird related on it.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Well we know for a fact that Spirits were decided on after the fighters were picked out. As for the scenario of putting Geno in after adding the Spirit they could easily remove Geno & Mallow from the base game. It took no time at all to create that and they had to negotiate the rights to even use that picture from Square Enix. At that time they probably negotiate having The Hero be included early on since a lot of people knew a Square Enix character was going to be DLC. Seems ridiculous that Sakurai would come up to Square, ask for The Hero and Geno to be a Spirit then a couple months later he comes back to them asking for Geno to be playable. They would've negotiated for both characters if there was plans for Geno to be playable, but as the way things are it doesn't seem like Geno is in the cards.

Also yeah, I think they took the lore into consideration because they clearly had the DLC picked out way in advance. People keep thinking that all five characters were finalized in November, but they clearly had majority of them planned out way before making that announcement. They had Joker, The Hero and Banjo planned out a couple months before November, this isn't any last minute considering that we got Joker 4 months after his reveal with no gameplay footage while we waited 7 months for Mewtwo to be released. What part of "This stuff was planned out" that people don't understand?

MattX20

Smash Hero
I just realized we're only 12 pages away from the Smash 4 K. Rool thread, the largest thread that still exists for a character on the site that wasn't removed.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
TBH, I can’t think of a single good guess for what that would be besides Geno.

Dynamic Worlok

I just realized we're only 22 pages away from the Smash 4 K. Rool thread, the largest thread that still exists for a character on the site that wasn't removed.
Let's give it all our might and leave them in the dust!

Dynamic Worlok

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

Dynamic Worlok

Smh how could they add Bundt before Peach's cake and the Portal cake. Also where's the cheesecake representation??
We already got a cheesecake rep. The smart speculation is leaning towards a bobka rep

Loog

Smash Apprentice
Well we know for a fact that Spirits were decided on after the fighters were picked out. As for the scenario of putting Geno in after adding the Spirit they could easily remove Geno & Mallow from the base game. It took no time at all to create that and they had to negotiate the rights to even use that picture from Square Enix. At that time they probably negotiate having The Hero be included early on since a lot of people knew a Square Enix character was going to be DLC. Seems ridiculous that Sakurai would come up to Square, ask for The Hero and Geno to be a Spirit then a couple months later he comes back to them asking for Geno to be playable. They would've negotiated for both characters if there was plans for Geno to be playable, but as the way things are it doesn't seem like Geno is in the cards.

Also yeah, I think they took the lore into consideration because they clearly had the DLC picked out way in advance. People keep thinking that all five characters were finalized in November, but they clearly had majority of them planned out way before making that announcement. They had Joker, The Hero and Banjo planned out a couple months before November, this isn't any last minute considering that we got Joker 4 months after his reveal with no gameplay footage while we waited 7 months for Mewtwo to be released. What part of "This stuff was planned out" that people don't understand?
Maybe discussions were ongoing and if lore was thought about why can you play as the dlc in world of light?

MemeSaucy

Smash Cadet
Welcome to Smashboards!

Loog

Smash Apprentice
Just a thought couldn't they think of a canon reason why geno is playable in a trailer if that is such an issue?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Maybe discussions were ongoing and if lore was thought about why can you play as the dlc in world of light?
Not to mention the game lets you have multiple of each spirit, including ones like Geno. The lore is already messed up. I highly doubt they care, especially since Mario can use himself when he’s playing sports to buff himself up, him and Dr. Mario being separate, and Chrom clapping for Robin posing with Chrom.

It’s also possible spirits like Geno were decided on and added before DLC plans were even finished or known to Sakurai. This game didn’t just magically start development and get so much done in 2018.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I just realized we're only 12 pages away from the Smash 4 K. Rool thread, the largest thread that still exists for a character on the site that wasn't removed.
The Smash 4 Ridley thread is much bigger (no pun intended) and hasn't been removed.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Just a thought couldn't they think of a canon reason why geno is playable in a trailer if that is such an issue?
Person: 'Sakurai, can you explain the in story reason how Geno is playable?'
Sakurai: 'Of course. Because I wanted him playable.'
Person: 'But the story.'
Sakurai: -Flips table- 'Story that.'

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Considering Sakurai has made nods to the Roy is already in comments to the Duck Hunt is Banjo comments, I bet he might find a way to address that Geno's spirit has become an actual character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom