• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
With the leak of SFV characters being announced at EVO I'd honestly be very surprised for nothing SSBU related to be announced. Not that every game necessarily has to have announcements but it'd be a huge venue for it with a lot of hardcore fans paying attention.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I would like to remind that this year, Nintendo is in fact putting resources into collaborating with EVO 2019. Here's the info.

Their presence at EVO this year certainly gives off the vibe that by the end of the SSBU Grand Finals, it is almost certain that there may be a Smash announcement of some sort.
So Nintendo will be at EVO.

Is it happening?

I do fear the bird may be related to a fighting game character, though...but oh well if it is I suppose. I'm not part of that discord so I wouldn't know what the possibilities are.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
With the leak of SFV characters being announced at EVO I'd honestly be very surprised for nothing SSBU related to be announced. Not that every game necessarily has to have announcements but it'd be a huge venue for it with a lot of hardcore fans paying attention.
Can't help but wonder if Nintendo had any say on EVO not featuring Melee this year, now that I think about it

D

Deleted member

And if we get a character announcement what better character than to show the hardcore fanbase other than an equally hardcore fanbase request which is of course our boy Lego Yoda! Geno!

Seriously though all these hints lead me to believe that if we get a character announcement or an announcement of an announcement type of deal we have a decent chance at seeing Geno. Not fully confirmed but a decent chance.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
In any case, without a doubt the strongest thing Geno has going for him is his lack of a Mii Costume announcement thus far, if it had been shown speculation likely would've been wrapped up for good.

I still don't fully understand it, either. It's still weird to me.

There were 6 costumes in the Persona DLC pack, 4 Persona themed costumes and 2 Sonic ones
The template there was perfect for Chocobo and of course, Geno.

But for some reason, only DQ costumes, AND only 4 instead of 6? Just seems a bit particular to me.

There's always a chance that the Geno costume will arrive with the Banjo pack or a later DLC pack, but I doubt it unless we're getting another square rep.

I think we will be getting Banjo themed Mii costumes in his pack. I can already see Mumbo Jumbo for Swordfighter...

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
To be honest, I am shocked with how effective putting Dragon Quest into Smash was in terms of interest in the West. The Smash community went from completely dispising the idea to acting like they are the biggest Dragon Quest fans ever as Hero got closer to release.

SE's tries for years to get the West to care about Dragon Quest and kept failing, when all they needed to do was let the franchise into Smash and suddenly the west starts caring.

Last edited:

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Y’know, we’re mentioning a Smash announcement at EVO and all that jazz, but I’m interested to know if you guys are gonna watch some of the matches at EVO.

I’m personally watching for Street Fighter and Smash Bros. So to hear that there could be a Smash announcement during EVO? Well, that just makes my time off even better!

I’ll make sure to leave this page open in another tab, just in case ;)

Last edited:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Anyone else remember when Nintendo announced Cranky Kong as playable for Tropical Freeze at The Game Awards? Yeah, sometimes they’re pretty tone deaf as to what would be good to announce where. BOTW DLC, Bayonetta 3, Joker, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 were definitely better, so I’m not as worried. I think announcing Geno at EVO is a smart move, and is realistic in my eyes. It’s a pretty big platform and a lot of people will be watching.

osby

Smash Obsessed
DQ games do sell well in West when they are actually published (more than Metroid, for example).

"Dragon Quest who?" is mostly Western Smash fans having a tunnel vision when it comes to broader video game scene.

D

Deleted member

Y’know, we’re mentioning a Smash announcement at EVO and all that jazz, but I’m interested to know if you guys are gonna watch some of the matches at EVO.

I’m personally watching for Street Fighter and Smash Bros. So to hear that there could be a Smash announcement during EVO? Well, that just makes my time off even better!

I’ll make sure to leave this page open in another tab, just in case ;)
Yeah I'm actually tuning into Smash for EVO to root for my dude Nairo! And I may also tune into like DBFZ and Mortal Kombat if I have time I'd root for SonicFox in which case cause the dude is really cool (If he'll be at EVO that is.)
I mean gotta support my fandom somewhere. /s

But yeah regardless of if there is a Smash announcement or not I'll still tune in cause I'm interested in some games at EVO.

Last edited by a moderator:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
You know what is kind of funny? Before DLC, a lot of people were sceptical about potential reveals happening. 'They won't reveal a fighter at VGA before the game gets released!' Joker gets revealed at VGA before the game was released.
'We will only get one character reveal at E3 and it will be Erdrick' Hero is revealed at the beginning of presentation 'See I was right. We only go-' Banjo revealed at the end of the presentation.

Not saying it is happening, but it could.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I can't wait till tournaments have items off but every contestant is maining hero anyway.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You know what is kind of funny? Before DLC, a lot of people were sceptical about potential reveals happening. 'They won't reveal a fighter at VGA before the game gets released!' Joker gets revealed at VGA before the game was released.
'We will only get one character reveal at E3 and it will be Erdrick' Hero is revealed at the beginning of presentation 'See I was right. We only go-' Banjo revealed at the end of the presentation.

Not saying it is happening, but it could.
With that logic we should hope that "Geno doesn't get revealed at EVO" *Wink* *Wink*

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
The only time I remember playing anything Dragon Quest related was Dragon Quest Monsters Joker as that was my first exposure to the Dragon Quest franchise back in the early DS era and have played a few of the older games after that. DQ XI S will be a day one buy for me though as it will be the first mainline Dragon Quest game I’ll own in a physical format. :grin:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
That's honestly what I am kind of scared of. Doing an EVO reveal is logical and expected of a lot of people probably going, most games are getting one, and when a game is the main event? Are you insane NOT to do one? It's the absolute perfect time. Nintendo can't be that stupid...right? Yet, it is a very Nintendo move to do. I'm hoping the Starling comes into play at EVO.
I'm confused as to why it's stupid for Nintendo to not have a reveal. It's not Nintendo's event and they tend to stick to their own path, plus they've dropped tons of information recently about a great number of games including releasing Hero the week of EVO (I won't be in the least bit surprised if that's the only big thing surrounding EVO, I mean it's worthy of the title even though it may not be a reveal at EVO itself). The main event is supposed to be for the people who have worked their ass off to get to a massive tournament in E-Sports, not just reveals. There is no reason the headliner inherently needs to facilitate an announcement. This will be far from a typical "Nintendo move" if they don't announce anything because they're just not obligated or even really expected to.

I only see people expecting an EVO reveal in this thread for the record, with Hero's incredibly recent release, Banjo & Kazooie's announced forthcoming release, and the fact that the Fighter's Pass will likely end in February generally accepted, people really don't seem to expect anything new until the Fall September Direct.

Edit: I was also perusing ResetERA's Smash thread and noticed this: https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...4-holding-out-for-a-hero.129433/post-23224878 . I don't know if that's supposed to be a screen shot of Sabi in some group chat thing or something saying that the Starling picture wasn't their main source (supposedly at least), but I was surprised to see it all the same, can anybody comment as to the nature of what they're posting and if it's legitimate or not?

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Edit: I was also perusing ResetERA's Smash thread and noticed this: https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...4-holding-out-for-a-hero.129433/post-23224878 . I don't know if that's supposed to be a screen shot of Sabi in some group chat thing or something saying that the Starling picture wasn't their main source (supposedly at least), but I was surprised to see it all the same, can anybody comment as to the nature of what they're posting and if it's legitimate or not?
But doesn’t she only have one Nintendo source? And Fatmanonice as well as the other members in the discord know it’s the same guy who posted the other stuff he shared with her, and they have info that identifies him...isn’t he even the same guy we heard about last year...?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nobody has talked about that yet so maybe I don't know though I do find it weird how this random person out of anyone in the internet has shown this screenshot when the post in question would hypothetically be from either 1) The private discord which I doubt this person is in and 2) The public one which I think Sabi would be more y'know mature about the situation.

Plus Rummy was in here earlier yet they didn't say anything about it and nobody has spoken about it being from an older source anyways if it was I'm sure someone would've spoke up and we don't even know if Sabi's older source was in the private discord or not which I doubt they are.

It's possible it's real but until confirmation from Sabi, Fatman or Rummy I doubt this screenshot is real.

7982Brick

Smash Cadet
If you don’t mind me asking can someone explain to me the whole bird/evo speculation or rumor and how it could be a hint for geno. I’ve seen people talk about it in here but I don’t know the full details.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Thanks for all the welcome backs and explanations. I have been lurking here all the time, playing/streaming Smash/SMRPG on Mixer, still talking up Geno. Anyways, that is super interesting. I was already planning on watching a lot of EVO, but will now be thinking about possible reveals.

So, I read through all the recent comments. Someone said other characters/games have also been linked to the Starling pic. I was wondering what others are thinking. Pokemon I saw, but what are the thoughts of others within the Discord group? Wanted to see what the thoughts are there.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I'm confused as to why it's stupid for Nintendo to not have a reveal. It's not Nintendo's event and they tend to stick to their own path, plus they've dropped tons of information recently about a great number of games including releasing Hero the week of EVO (I won't be in the least bit surprised if that's the only big thing surrounding EVO, I mean it's worthy of the title even though it may not be a reveal at EVO itself). The main event is supposed to be for the people who have worked their *** off to get to a massive tournament in E-Sports, not just reveals. There is no reason the headliner inherently needs to facilitate an announcement. This will be far from a typical "Nintendo move" if they don't announce anything because they're just not obligated or even really expected to.

I only see people expecting an EVO reveal in this thread for the record, with Hero's incredibly recent release, Banjo & Kazooie's announced forthcoming release, and the fact that the Fighter's Pass will likely end in February generally accepted, people really don't seem to expect anything new until the Fall September Direct.

That completely contradicts what Fatmanonice Fatmanonice has said here multiple times. He’s explicitly said it’s the same guy and neither Rummy nor anyone else that’s a part of that group has contradicted that.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
If you don’t mind me asking can someone explain to me the whole bird/evo speculation or rumor and how it could be a hint for geno. I’ve seen people talk about it in here but I don’t know the full details.
Bird: A leaker posted an image of a bird on a rooftop. He has posted similar images in the past (of varying vagueness) that have hinted at characters/games that were coming up.
There's various interpretations regarding the bird, but one of them is that the bird is a Starling.

As for EVO, I think people are expecting an announcement soon relating to the bird picture.

7982Brick

Smash Cadet
Bird: A leaker posted an image of a bird on a rooftop. He has posted similar images in the past (of varying vagueness) that have hinted at characters/games that were coming up.
There's various interpretations regarding the bird, but one of them is that the bird is a Starling.

As for EVO, I think people are expecting an announcement soon relating to the bird picture.

Thanks for the clarification I really appreciate it

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman It's not true. Rummy was even in here earlier today to confirm that it happened.

I think everyone here already knows me Fatmano, But yeah i do that for a reason. No worries we chill tho.

I see, well the most i can say about the bird is that we know nothing about it, we asked Sabi's source about what it lead into because it was too cryptic, but we haven't heard back.
I'm trying to get an explanation from Sabi.

Last edited:

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
All i can say is that the originator of the Image is from Sabi's old source (the ones that posted the teaser images) We don't know if it's Smash related at all or anything of it's content. it's too cryptic to tell. That's really all i'm going to say from here as i feel this is all i can give.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Though not to be a negative nancy, like I infamously became on this board, but this is Nintendo we're talking about. Sure they're getting better, but they don't always make the smartest choices.
Bruh they literally did an announcement at EVO last year, and this year Smash is the finisher.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sabi is probably saying "old" source because she can't publically report on Nintendo leaks anymore because of the C&D. In that sense, yes, the source is technically "old" because she no longer actively seeks info from them. As far as I know, there's no official rapport between them and he just shares hints with all of us now.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
This is all very interesting information. So Sabi is trying to hide the fact that the Starling image is from the same guy?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Here's a fan art by Mr.whatshisname.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Luckily overall there was a lot less negativity than Smash 4 at least

It was a rather nice speculation cycle
Depending on the thread, anyway. BK thread was basically a warzone for Steve/BK supporters until news happened. Less said about the general, the better.

By the way, my name hasn't been added to the supporter list yet, so please do so.

So Nintendo will be at EVO.

Is it happening?

I do fear the bird may be related to a fighting game character, though...but oh well if it is I suppose. I'm not part of that discord so I wouldn't know what the possibilities are.
The next reveal will be Birdie from the Street Fighter series! :4pacman:

Pretty sure the character would have no correlation to the fighting theme otherwise though. They still have to make the character work enough to fit in Smash, seeing how even Tekken's not a lock until further notice. Also, technically, Smash is a fighting game, so that makes everyone in it a fighting game character by proxy, regardless of their genre of origin.

DQ games do sell well in West when they are actually published (more than Metroid, for example).

"Dragon Quest who?" is mostly Western Smash fans having a tunnel vision when it comes to broader video game scene.
Irony being that this is a time where the Internet exists and is accessible to anyone, so the only reason one wouldn't know now is because folks don't actively seek out info on games. I do recall DQ having decent success until the dark age of SNES RPGs happened.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This is all very interesting information. So Sabi is trying to hide the fact that the Starling image is from the same guy?
I'm tossing it up as an honest mistake and leaving it at that. Besides, as we all know, she can't exactly come in here and explain herself so there's no sense in dragging it out. Bottom line: it's the same guy but she's technically right in it being an "old" source.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I think the Isabelle amiibo Sakurai showed on his video was one of the four that are on the planet. I'm surprised that she is so popular that her amiibo would sell out everywhere on day 1, especially since she has two already and her Smash amiibo isn't that different.

Unless there is a Mariotehplumber type person for Isabelle and they bought them all out of spite.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Bruh they literally did an announcement at EVO last year, and this year Smash is the finisher.
Yeah we might get a Direct announcement, but this is Nintendo that we're talking about. Nintendo is going to Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom