• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Already own that controller, actually (the Game Boy variant, anyway). Very comfy on the hands and I use it to play on my PC and Switch. Playing Smash on it has never felt better!
Glad I decided to buy it myself

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Yes, he would. There are plenty of characters exclusive to Super Mario RPG they could use as Spirits
I agree. We could have Gaz (Toad Mii Costume), Axem Rangers (Mii Costume or color coated Mii Fighters), Smithy (Metal Giant Dedede), Megasmilax (Giant Piranha Plant with Curry), Booster (Wario), Boshi (Yoshi or Mii Costume), Belome (Giant Kirby (s) ), Boyer (Dark Pit), Czar Dragon (Ridley) Croco (Yoshi), Exor (Giant Ike), etc.
Just to name a couple to help with this.

D

Deleted member

Fair point, but im still not sure how Geno fits a fighter pack, would he get an SMRPG stage and spirits?
Yeah I don't see why not. Joker showed we could get spirits from one specific game and Hero showed not all of those spirits have to be big name characters so totally!

They could do a Gaz spirit, a Booster Spirit, Exor, Smithy, Axem Rangers, Boshi, Croco, Valentina, Dodo, Boshi, Johnny, Even lesser known characters like Dyna and Mite and even that Fat Yoshi which I think the last one would be hilarious.

So yeah they could totally pull from a lot of characters like this it doesn't have to be big name characters and if they really wanted to they could even pull from lesser known Mario & Luigi/Paper Mario characters just in case they feel like it.

Bremy

Smash Apprentice
m8 they did an entire spirit pack out of just Persona 5 characters. SMRPG has enough original characters that it'd be fine. And either Bowser's Castle with Exor sticking out or the Mushroom Forest would be perfect stages.
A Mushroom Forest stage where Bowyer shoots arrows to lock the players Normals, Specials, Shields, Grabs, or Jumps would be so chaotic, but so much fun

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice I was thinking about the starling picture and the Nintendo source some more. From what you've said about the source, they seem like a genuine person that is looking out for the people in the discord. That being said, if they thought one of their hints was misleading the group to think Geno was in smash or something else relating to SMRPG, do you think they would say something to not give false hope?

T2by4

Smash Lord
Looks like this thread blew up over the day. Can someone fill me in? Something about a new fighter icon in the fighters section on the website or something but yet no stage? Is that the latest?

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Looks like this thread blew up over the day. Can someone fill me in? Something about a new fighter icon in the fighters section on the website or something but yet no stage? Is that the latest?
That is correct. The new fighter icon was removed

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wouldn't evo be suited toward characters like Heihachi?

I want to have hope for Geno, but then I remember how soured I was after the Grinch leak.
Well I remember people saying that last year when the August Smash direct was revealed at EVO and see how that turned out. It was K. Rool and Simon instead.

Just cause it fits with the theming of Fighting Games doesn't necessarily mean we'll be getting a Fighting game character just like last year. Nintendo doesn't really care about the theming of said events.
Also, his previous JP VA died right after doing Incineroar, he showed up as a pac-cameo...while he's not entirely unlikely, it's really not looking good for him as it stands.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Basically the “new” icon from the fighter’s tab on the website

T2by4

Smash Lord
Basically the “new” icon from the fighter’s tab on the website
And that wasn't filled by the hero or banjo? Odd. But it does line up with how I think geno would get in with him not getting a new stage since he isn't part of the pass, just bonus music for the mario stages and the character himself. Hopefully this ends up being the case.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I feel like the "New" icon disappearing from the Fighters tab is because other sections (How to Play and Stages) were just updated, and this doesn't necessarily mean that we'll get any fighter announcements at EVO. I'd love to be wrong, though.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice I was thinking about the starling picture and the Nintendo source some more. From what you've said about the source, they seem like a genuine person that is looking out for the people in the discord. That being said, if they thought one of their hints was misleading the group to think Geno was in smash or something else relating to SMRPG, do you think they would say something to not give false hope?
He's probably not allowed to say, unfortunately. He shares these things knowing full well that he would be fired if he was caught, which is why he's this vague. Like I said earlier today, he only does this for news that there's strong evidence that most of us would like. That's also sort of the rub too... most people in the group don't believe it's Geno. I think I'm the only one who's really entertained the idea and most of the group have strong reservations (Geno's a spirit, there's no way Square Enix will get 2 DLC reps, "Don't do that, don't give me hope," etc). Hell, only half of us think it's Smash related. This being said, if it really does wind up being Geno, it will blindside most of the group and most people in general. If you go outside this thread, hardly anyone believes it's Geno so people who believe it is Geno are actually in a really small minority but... hey, what else is new? This fanbase is tenacious as all get-out so this shouldn't be discouraging at all.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I feel like the "New" icon disappearing from the Fighters tab is because other sections (How to Play and Stages) were just updated, and this doesn't necessarily mean that we'll get any fighter announcements at EVO. I'd love to be wrong, though.
From what i recall, they dont leave the fighter tab blank for very long. The new was removed from Joker in late may

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
The new icon switched right after Sakurai's video was released. Nothing was added to things concerning a fighter from it, so there was no reason to leave it.

So yea, the new being removed isn't people getting ready to add something to the fighter tab soon.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The New icon status is not the point, but whether anything interesting will happen this Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

This fanbase is tenacious as all get-out so this shouldn't be discouraging at all.
It feels like the phrase "I'll believe it when I see it." was practically invented for this fanbase at times, yeah.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I feel like one of the very few people who entertain the idea that it's Geno outside of this thread.

Everyone else is pushing a new franchise or simply saying "nope"/"that won't happen"/"I strongly doubt it" with some misinfo that it's a blackbird here and there (its feathers aren't even black...).

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Wouldn't evo be suited toward characters like Heihachi?

I want to have hope for Geno, but then I remember how soured I was after the Grinch leak.
people thought that last year and were completely wrong

Smash is a fighting game and is the frontliner for this year's EVO, so if there somehow is an announcement it makes sense regardless of if it's a character or it's affiliation

still doubt EVO announcement so close after Hero's release

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
So I played Hero a little bit and here's my first impressions about his and their inclusions, and where we stand with just how inclusive and unique the game tailors to characters such as him.

Mario - platformer archetype, followed by all of this smash brothers giving life to this game since 64.
Sonic - platformer speed archetype, plays a lot like he actually would in his own game.
Snake - sneaky, covert-ish type of projectile play with combo-special type of attacks with ftilt, was very fun to me back in brawl and felt at home despite having these qualities
Megaman - platformer shootemup archetype, plays similar to his real classic games with his basic attacks.
Pac-man - the oddball, plays like a smash character but still pays homage to his funsy techniques as an arcade character
Bayonetta - combo mash button mash me-so-good type of character but takes some finesse to master, just like her game to me.
Cloud - fighting and commandable combo type attacks all feel like they would play out in actual action rpg
Ryu/Ken - play like Street Fighters. Obvious. I don't like them because of this. Not that that makes them bad to me in anways, I'm just terrible at them
Hero - I feel like I'm actually playing a turn based rpg the moment I send the opponent off stage or away. Mana, choices, patience, RNG, and of course the experience points I gain from learning that freaking Oomph + Psych-up or any buff combo'd with a slash in general is insane. Also learned that you can't be stuck in your own world forever or the opponent will just rush you down finally.

If we get Geno, I better see time'd hits smash attacks that react the moment you smash A after the attack lands. Same thing with his B button moves. Don't do it to his aerials or tilts, but just the big guns (hah)

I'm so thrilled we are here now. I'm putting all my hopes that Sakurai and his crew and ofc Nintendo have heard us loud and clear, especially after Banjo was released. Bonus, FP1, or FP2, Idc, please, send this boy our way finally!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
From what i recall, they dont leave the fighter tab blank for very long. The new was removed from Joker in late may
tbf that was because E3 was around the corner. this is a first, the New sticker being removed a mere DAY after Hero officially comes out...

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
So, I started reading the first page of this support thread for the first time (after liking the first post to get added to the support list) when something caught my eye:

The first official response to the Geno support thread was a post against Geno's addition.

Really? I mean, come on, REALLY?

T2by4

Smash Lord
So, I started reading the first page of this support thread for the first time (after liking the first post to get added to the support list) when something caught my eye:

The first official response to the Geno support thread was a post against Geno's addition.

Once geno gets in every single person should respond to them. Lol

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Luckily overall there was a lot less negativity than Smash 4 at least

It was a rather nice speculation cycle

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The thing about the website is that it just removed a piece because... it updated to show off the new stuff in Hero's showcase video. He's no longer the "latest" update.

If you go to the Fighter Page itself, it still says New(as he's literally just released, so it's appropriate for that page). Joker didn't have as much information to begin with when announced like Hero did, who had a full-out Trailer too. And way more information. They're different situations. Not much reason for the Character tab itself(on the main page) ts say New until it gets another update. Also, Hero's page itself never changed, so it makes sense the Character tab doesn't say new in this case.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
The thing about the website is that it just removed a piece because... it updated to show off the new stuff in Hero's showcase video. He's no longer the "latest" update.

If you go to the Fighter Page itself, it still says New(as he's literally just released, so it's appropriate for that page). Joker didn't have as much information to begin with when announced like Hero did, who had a full-out Trailer too. And way more information. They're different situations. Not much reason for the Character tab itself(on the main page) ts say New until it gets another update. Also, Hero's page itself never changed, so it makes sense the Character tab doesn't say new in this case.
Is that really accurate, though? Here's a picture of the Smash website a few days before Joker was launched.

1564630506102.png

Here's a picture a month after he was launched.

1564630555263.png

And here's what it looked like the day the Fighters tab stopped saying "New" (May 31st)

1564630662842.png

It wasn't until the E3 season was about to begin that the "Fighters" and "Stages" tabs stopped saying "New". "How to Smash" continued to say "New" until Hero and Banjo were on the site. Joker brought 3.0.0 which was a similarly sized patch with just as many changes at 4.0.0 does, I don't know why you consider this recent update to have so much more information than the last one.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Is that really accurate, though? Here's a picture of the Smash website a few days before Joker was launched.

Here's a picture a month after he was launched.

And here's what it looked like the day the Fighters tab stopped saying "New" (May 31st)

It wasn't until the E3 season was about to begin that the "Fighters" and "Stages" tabs stopped saying "New". "How to Smash" continued to say "New" until Hero and Banjo were on the site. Joker brought 3.0.0 which was a similarly sized patch with just as many changes at 4.0.0 does, I don't know why you consider this recent update to have so much more information than the last one.
It's more like all the information came up at once and the website directly updated to solely match that.

Joker seems more like a weird way they did it.

Also, Joker's announcement wasn't at e3, it was at The Game Awards. That's what I'm referring to. It had little information. His proper showcase(including the Character Page) came later. The situations are different in that regard.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
It's more like all the information came up at once and the website directly updated to solely match that.

Joker seems more like a weird way they did it.

Also, Joker's announcement wasn't at e3, it was at The Game Awards. That's what I'm referring to. It had little information. His proper showcase(including the Character Page) came later. The situations are different in that regard.
After the 8.8 direct, the fighters tab said new until a couple weeks before the Nintendo direct that showed Isabelle.
After Isabelle, the fighters tab said new until a couple weeks before the Kencineroar direct.
After Kencineroar, the fighters tab said new until a couple weeks before TGAs/release and Joker's announcement.
After Joker's release, the fighters tab said new until a couple weeks before E3.
After E3, the fighters tab said new until yesterday.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I think people underestimate just how big of a deal E-Sports have become. The industry is estimated to have a net worth of more than a billion by the end of this year, experiencing an almost 27 PERCENT GROWTH in the last year alone.

https://www.businessinsider.com/esports-revenue-billion-2019-2

Not making announcements at events like EVO is now practically on-par with outright insanity.
E-Sports have become a big deal and I always thought it would smart for a Smash Bros reveal at EVO, especially if they announce a Fighting Game character like Heihachi or King of Fighter. Though not to be a negative nancy, like I infamously became on this board, but this is Nintendo we're talking about. Sure they're getting better, but they don't always make the smartest choices.

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
E-Sports have become a big deal and I always thought it would smart for a Smash Bros reveal at EVO, especially if they announce a Fighting Game character like Heihachi or King of Fighter. Though not to be a negative nancy, like I infamously became on this board, but this is Nintendo we're talking about. Sure they're getting better, but they don't always make the smartest choices.
That's honestly what I am kind of scared of. Doing an EVO reveal is logical and expected of a lot of people probably going, most games are getting one, and when a game is the main event? Are you insane NOT to do one? It's the absolute perfect time. Nintendo can't be that stupid...right? Yet, it is a very Nintendo move to do. I'm hoping the Starling comes into play at EVO.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
After the 8.8 direct, the fighters tab said new until a couple weeks before the Nintendo direct that showed Isabelle.
After Isabelle, the fighters tab said new until a couple weeks before the Kencineroar direct.
After Kencineroar, the fighters tab said new until a couple weeks before TGAs/release and Joker's announcement.
After Joker's release, the fighters tab said new until a couple weeks before E3.
After Hero's release, the fighters tab said new for a day.
It makes sense the Character Tab no longer says new. This happens when the site updates. Hero and Banjo-Kazooie's announcement is a separate update.

Joker's release also was the same update that included 3.0 among various other things. It was one huge update. Joker was actually given a full showcase vid, which means the Character Tab(or section if you will) also had an update, which is why it still said New. Because it had New things.

The website can be weird, but this isn't one of those cases. It's only updating what's actual updates. Since the update is new, and Hero has nothing new on his actual page, that one was no longer "new" and had no reason to still say that on the Character Tab.

I don't think there's a better way to explain it. >.<

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Welp, boys and girls, I won my first online tourney and flaunted my Geno icon every step of the way. Greninjas, represent! Geno-gang forever!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
About to update the list. If anyone doesn't mind, I think I'm going to stop putting it in alphabetical order. It makes it difficult to figure out who is on the list or not, surprisingly (For me to add new people)

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
You're looking at it differently from what it is.

Of course the Character Tab no longer says New. This happens when the site updates. Hero and Banjo-Kazooie's announcement is a separate update.

Joker's release also was the same update that included 3.0 among various other things. It was one huge update. Joker was actually given a full showcase vid, which means the Character Tab(or section if you will) also had an update, which is why it still said New. Because it had New things.

The website can be weird, but this isn't one of those cases.
A new character has just come out. Why would it not continue to say new like it does on this page? Why do they bother updating the site to remove the new tags two weeks before characters are announced every single time?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
A new character has just come out. Why would it not continue to say new like it does on this page? Why do they bother updating the site to remove the new tags two weeks before characters are announced every single time?
Hero's page didn't update. Something else did. The old update got removed. That's all that actually happened.

Joker's page did. Isabelle's page did. Kencineroar's page did. They all updated and kept the New(on the Character Tab) for a while. Same thing happened as soon as Hero updated. It's not comparable to Joker's, who did the same thing. Releases weren't how they did the updates for the Tabs. It was purely based upon Site Updates every time, which shows even with your examples.

It's extremely consistent.

Also, the character page labels him as new because it isn't an "Update" on the site. It's just saying "new" as in New Fighter For Download Now. Site update =/= Character is newly downloadable. They're different things.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Hero's page didn't update. Something else did. The old update got removed. That's all that actually happened.

Joker's page did. Isabelle's page did. Kencineroar's page did. They all updated and kept the New(on the Character Tab) for a while. Same thing happened as soon as Hero updated. It's not comparable to Joker's, who did the same thing. Releases weren't how they did the updates for the Tabs. It was purely based upon Site Updates every time, which shows even with your examples.

It's extremely consistent.

Also, the character page labels him as new because it isn't an "Update" on the site. It's just saying "new" as in New Fighter For Download Now. Site update =/= Character is newly downloadable. They're different things.

You'd think they'd keep "NEW!" on the Fighter tab, though, since they're still counting a fighter as new.

Man, Intern-kun must hate his job, he probably tried to get himself fired with that little Bloody Tears stunt he pulled. I guess they're forcing him to work with no pay or something, despite not being just any old intern. Maybe that's why this stuff seems sloppy.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You'd think they'd keep "NEW!" on the Fighter tab, though, since they're still counting a fighter as new.

Man, Intern-kun must hate his job, he probably tried to get himself fired with that little Bloody Tears stunt he pulled. I guess they're forcing him to work with no pay or something, despite not being just any old intern. Maybe that's why this stuff seems sloppy.
Well, they didn't actually do anything other than label Hero as "hey, downloadable now" nor update the full out page of his. So it still makes sense overall. Apparently all that matters is if the literal Character Pages are new or not? Since that is actually consistent with previous updates alone.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Well, they didn't actually do anything other than label Hero as "hey, downloadable now" nor update the full out page of his. So it still makes sense overall. Apparently all that matters is if the literal Character Pages are new or not? Since that is actually consistent with previous updates alone.
yeah but.

let's say someone checked the website without knowing, and that fancy "NEW!" icon isn't there to grab their attention to the fighter page, and they're too blind to see Hero's stuff just below it.

I swear, Intern-kun really just wants out of there. He doesn't have to go to these lengths, though.

-on a serious note, I don't know. hopefully EVO has an announcement.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh wow, we are approaching 2 million views. That is the next thing to celebrate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom