• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
So we banking on geno costume to go alongside The Hero release? If it happens, it's been an honor lads. We have to keep the Geno support strong. I fear we may be forgotten with time if we don't stay alive and let our voices be heard by Nintendo. Every character that has been massively requested like Krool and banjo received unbelievable amounts of hype, Geno would no doubt bring that same hype. We gotta bring our star child home.
If it really is the end today or soon and Geno is a Mii Costume I wouldn't count him out just yet cause for all we know we may get additional DLC but until then it has been a pleasure hanging out and honor working with you all.

It's still not an absolute certainty that we'll get the Mii Costume back though as I and other people have said we may not actually get it even though it looks very likely we will.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I have mixed feelings because, thinking about it, it would be really weird if he was the only non-DQ costume. Basically a summary of my thoughts:

-Appears with a Mallow or (weirdly) any other SMRPG character Mii costume: remaining chances more or less evaporate
-Appears by himself but the costume is noticeably improved/more detailed: see above
-Appears by himself but it largely looks the same: neutral
-Doesn't appear at all: Defcon 1 levels of HMMMMM

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yeah, even if Geno gets soft-deconfirmed with the costume, we need to keep our voices loud and clear. Our support cannot waver. The day we give up is the day we lose, after all, not the day Geno is confirmed not to be in Ultimate. Let's keep sending our wishes to Star Road!

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
So a lot of what's been going on lately has been waiting out on Hero's release and seeing what Mii costumes are in store for us. Are there any other Square characters that might show up as costumes? I mean there's that one Chocobo costume that could come back, but I'm uncertain of anything else that could show up.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So a lot of what's been going on lately has been waiting out on Hero's release and seeing what Mii costumes are in store for us. Are there any other Square characters that might show up as costumes? I mean there's that one Chocobo costume that could come back, but I'm uncertain of anything else that could show up.
Maybe older Final Fantasy characters, given they aren't quite as steeped in copyright hell, plus they represent when Square and Nintendo were in cahoots. Crono is possible, too, I think, given he involves much the same companies as DQ. Otherwise, maybe Mana costumes, too, given Trials of Mana? Then, of course, there's Geno and all. Hmm.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
Chocobo hat
Geno Set
and a brand NEW... Slime Hat

...my expectations for Square Content is rock bottom, which sucks because they have the best set of characters behind Nintendo and Capcom imho.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm expecting at least one new FF7-related costume to go along with the remake. Probably a Barret Gunner and/or a Tifa Brawler. (Or maybe a Sephiroth Swordfighter if they can find a way to do that without making his sword look hilariously dinky compared to how it's usually depicted.)
And a Slime hat is basically a given. I think we all know that at this point.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm anticipating the barest minimum - the same Mii costumes that were in Smash 4, plus a Slime hat. I'm hoping that we get costumes for the FF7 party members, or the other Dragon Quest heroes, or other Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest characters, or even something relatively out of nowhere like a 2B or Crono costume, but given how stingy Square-Enix was with Final Fantasy content, I have my doubts.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Sephiroth and Crono as swordsmen. Barrett as gunner. Tifa as a brawler. Slime hat. Black mage.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Sephiroth and Crono as swordsmen. Barrett as gunner. Tifa as a brawler. Slime hat. Black mage.
I wouldn't expect Crono based upon the issues the Chrono series seems to have at this point. It'd be neat to have another Toriyama influenced character alongside Hero, but I honestly think Square Enix only cares about releasing an occasional port of the original and leaving the series to die otherwise. It's a damn shame, but I don't see Crono coming back any time soon (and having Crono as a Mii costume, but no Trigger music would be the worst haha).

The rest make sense to me, though I don't know if we'll get that much Final Fantasy stuff. Barrett, Tifa, and Slime Hat make the most sense to me. I'm not really sure Black Mage maps super well to any of the Mii fighters though... (Even though I mostly don't use Mii fighters and don't care, I always did like the idea of a Mii Mage being added in to round up the main archetypes of fighters). Sephiroth could go either way, but he's the least likely of the main FF7 cast to appear given his status even if Square does like to heavily advertise him at times.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
If they had the audacity to make Ashley a swordfighter they can do the same with Black Mage

Or even gunner
Fair point on Ashley, though she never really had a ton of stuff to canonically pull from either. Black Mage is much more established in terms of abilities and I'd argue Square Enix is more likely to care about the representation of the Black Mage IP than Nintendo of Ashley specifically. Sakurai has said that third parties have to agree on everything, and I definitely could see Square Enix rejecting a Mii costume if it didn't fit their standards and seemed like a poor representation of Black Mage when it gets used all the damn time in marketing for the Final Fantasy brand. That's why I think Black Mage is a little less likely, though a costume in general outside of abilities would be nice.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I brought this up awhile ago, but it probably got lost in the aether. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy costumes for the pass. What makes me think that, is what came with Joker's release. It was Persona and Sonic without Jacky and Akira coming back.

My thought is, if an existing company gets a new rep, they will have Mii Costumes from the new fighter's series as well as from an old rep's series.

So we could see Slime hat and other Dragon Quest Costumes for The Hero. And Chocobo hat and maybe one FF7 costume for Cloud.

Doesn't seem too farfetched, if you ask me.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I have mixed feelings because, thinking about it, it would be really weird if he was the only non-DQ costume. Basically a summary of my thoughts:

-Appears with a Mallow or (weirdly) any other SMRPG character Mii costume: remaining chances more or less evaporate
-Appears by himself but the costume is noticeably improved/more detailed: see above
-Appears by himself but it largely looks the same: neutral
-Doesn't appear at all: Defcon 1 levels of HMMMMM
Logically speaking, I think you're right in these assumptions. It would be a no-brainer and require zero effort on Nintendo's part to simply port over the already-existing costume just as it was in Sm4sh. If that's the case, then it won't necessarily be a hard de-confirm either way. That said, if they try to add more SMRPG costumes or revamp the Geno costume as a whole, then Sakurai/Nintendo would basically be saying, "Look, we haven't forgotten Geno and we realize how cheezy the old homage was, but he's just not going to make it in this time." On the flip side, if his costume doesn't show up at all? ****=lost (or if you carry the 1 and multiply by a bucket of chicken) Me=hype-gasm

There would be absolutely ZERO logical reasons to not port over the old costume unless they were planning to release Geno for real.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I honestly don't see why the costume is an issue. If Chrom can be a Mii costume and a newcomer then why can't Geno?
The thing is that Chrom's Mii costume was ported over for the base game. Geno's is one you'd have to purchase all over again. I kinda see DLC Mii costumes and base game Mii costumes as two different things. That said, Fatman is right in that it isn't a hard deconfirm if the outfit isn't changed in the slightest and no other SMRPG costumes come in. I would personally take it as a soft deconfirm, mostly for the Fighter's Pass. I would, however, disagree with the notion that Geno's Mii costume bars him permanently from any future plans. They could have his Mii costume and then make more DLC after the Fighter's Pass, for all we know, including Geno as playable. The money wouldn't be an issue, either, because I sincerely doubt anyone would cry over 75 cents for the Mii costume to hold out with.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Based on Joker, I think it's safe to say that we'll be getting at least one Brawler, Gunner, and Swordsmen type. Joker was two hats, two swordsmen, a gunner, and a brawler and I'm kind of expecting a similar format again. There's a side of me that wonders if they'll do FF VII because of the remake on the horizon and the anemic FF representation as is. Barrett and Tifa would actually work really well as costumes, and if we're totally honest, would probably sell more than the Geno costume. While I don't see the return of the Geno costume as a super unpopular thing, I could imagine a lot of people skipping out on it because they bought it in Smash 4. I'd argue this is much less of an issue with Tails and Knuckles because of how iconic and popular both are, plus Knuckles was already hard disconfirmed nearly 10 months before the costume showed up again.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I honestly don't see why the costume is an issue. If Chrom can be a Mii costume and a newcomer then why can't Geno?
I think the main difference is that DLC Mii costumes seem to be treated as a consolation prize for the character not making it in - look at Inkling and K. Rool in Smash 4 (along with Chrom), or Rex in Smash Ultimate (whose Mii costume announcement was clearly treated like a consolation for not being able to include him). If the character's already in the base game, then overlap between a character and a Mii costume seems fine, but not so much if it's a DLC Mii costume for a character that isn't in the game.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
If Geno makes it in as a fighter what costumes would he bring? Would it be only SMRPG characters or do you think there’ll be Paper Mario/M&L costumes?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
If Geno makes it in as a fighter what costumes would he bring? Would it be only SMRPG characters or do you think there’ll be Paper Mario/M&L costumes?
That is an interesting question...I would love to see some other Mario RPG Love. These are ones I could see.
Mallow as a Hat or fighter in some fashion, Kammy Swordfighter, Bowser with Star Rod swordfighter, Prince Peasley, Rawk Hawk, Tubba Blubba, Watt Hat.

Just to name a couple.

EDIT: Smithy! How could I forget him!?

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
If Geno gets in, I'm betting on Mallow and Smithy costumes. As for Paper Mario, how would that work with a 3-dimensional game?

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Someone sent a message in a server I'm in regarding some very odd copyrighted videos on YouTube; maybe you guys could help me figure it out.

Right now, there are two SMRPG music tracks on BrawlBRSTMs3 X's SMRPG playlist that have been blocked by copyright by not Square, but Nintendo.

Beware of the Forest's Mushrooms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abDCsQrDLTE
Fight Against an Armed Boss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQl7wDCKXSM

I went to the Wayback Machine in an effort to see when these videos were taken down, and from what I can see BotFM was up at the earliest since May 15th of this year. Armed Boss was also up and running until May 15th at the earliest. That means that these songs, and only these songs were recently taken down by Nintendo. It's definitely an odd case, as the rest of the playlist is still up.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Simply put, the Mii Costume indicates a tentative lack of plans to make Geno playable. So while it's still technically possible for Geno to make it in at that point, it's highly unlikely that they plan to.
Someone sent a message in a server I'm in regarding some very odd copyrighted videos on YouTube; maybe you guys could help me figure it out.

Right now, there are two SMRPG music tracks on BrawlBRSTMs3 X's SMRPG playlist that have been blocked by copyright by not Square, but Nintendo.

I went to the Wayback Machine in an effort to see when these videos were taken down, and from what I can see BotFM was up at the earliest since May 15th of this year. Armed Boss was also up and running until May 15th at the earliest. That means that these songs, and only these songs were recently taken down by Nintendo. It's definitely an odd case, as the rest of the playlist is still up.
That's... really weird, actually. Nintendo doesn't own the music, so how are they able to get away with this? I know FaaAB was up as early as last week as well, so this had to have happened fairly recently. I'm keeping my eyes peeled on the situation for sure.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace

Here's a theory that I already don't believe:
Geno's coming in, but he's getting the Cloud Treatment, and those are the two songs.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman

That's certainly interesting I remember listening to those extended versions a few days ago too, Maybe like a week ago. I do wonder what this means it's either 1) Nothing. 2) Super Mario RPG Music will come with Geno's Mii Costume or 3) Geno is in Smash. Of course the first one is the most likely followed by the second but this is a curious situation.

Did this ever happen with Banjo? Cause I feel like it did happen before but if not it's still interesting.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
This is very fascinating. I've checked the place list and the extended version of BOTFM is still running, but those two other ones are blocked. Very interesting.

I would temper expectations since those songs are available on other youtube videos, here is one for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbRJ733xiF4&list=RDlbRJ733xiF4&start_radio=1

However, with NINTENDO blocking those other two still peaks my curiosity.

If anyone can refresh my memory, did music come along with costumes or JUST the stage and the new fighter? For example, if there was to be JUST a Geno costume, then there would not be any music added per the possibility that ShotoStar 2 mentioned as option 1 and 2.

If I am mistaken, then i digress.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion

.....Huh. Now that is interesting. It probably means nothing, but it is kind off odd, none the less. The thing with Banjo's music being taken off for copyright was because it was a fan made track with Super Smash Bros Ultimate in the title.

This however, is from SMRPG itself...I must dig deeper to see if others have been taken down.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
So far, with Joker DLC, the music is all Persona, which you can check the Smash Bros website. https://smashbros.nintendo.com/buy/dlc/

So the music, so far, is tied to the fighter and the stage. If it stays like that, it doesn't appear we would get any music, be it one track, that goes with a DLC Mii costume.

Of course that could change, but if the Hero DLC comes out and continues this pattern ... it would be unlikely a DLC Mii Costume would get any music.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
https://youtu.be/fPUn6aWec_g
This is from the same guy I believe. The same time extended, but considerably less views...so I guess he out it back up?

EDIT: NVM different user, very similar name minus a number or two.

This has to mean nothing, but why only that guy's videos?

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
So far, with Joker DLC, the music is all Persona, which you can check the Smash Bros website. https://smashbros.nintendo.com/buy/dlc/

So the music, so far, is tied to the fighter and the stage. If it stays like that, it doesn't appear we would get any music, be it one track, that goes with a DLC Mii costume.

Of course that could change, but if the Hero DLC comes out and continues this pattern ... it would be unlikely a DLC Mii Costume would get any music.
Agreed. Including SMRPG music with Hero would break the pattern that stretches back to Smash 4 regarding DLC packs. However, the timing is very interesting. I remember Nintendo was proactive with copyright claims just before the base roster released, so my feeling is that if it is anything it’s tied to Hero’s release in some way. Maybe the music is just being licensed for the Mii costume reveals. Beware for Geno, Armed Boss for Mallow.

That said though, Beware and Armed Boss, for me, are the two songs I would want remixed for a Geno DLC pack. Expectations tempered for sure, but... not even going to say it, I’m afraid I’ll jinx something haha.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
Even though this situation really is interesting and I hope it's what we all want (Geno in Smash!) I still heavily doubt it. I think the most likely situation is just that Nintendo accidentally slipped up and claimed Super Mario RPG songs thinking it may have been something else like an untrained employee slipped up or it's literally nothing. Nothing at all.

Even if it is what we all want I doubt it's for the Fighters pass if anything the timing of this happening may make sense as a Bonus or Individual DLC character. Of course it could also be for Mii Costumes as it was kind of weird that Beware the Forests Mushrooms played in Geno's Mii Costume trailer yet it did not appear so they could be fixing that situation. Still, That leaves Fight against an Armed Boss as some random copyrighted song which may or may not be for a Mallow Mii Costume.

We'll just have to see. I doubt it's actually something and if it is it may be the Mii Costumes but god I would love to be wrong.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Agreed. Including SMRPG music with Hero would break the pattern that stretches back to Smash 4 regarding DLC packs. However, the timing is very interesting. I remember Nintendo was proactive with copyright claims just before the base roster released, so my feeling is that if it is anything it’s tied to Hero’s release in some way. Maybe the music is just being licensed for the Mii costume reveals. Beware for Geno, Armed Boss for Mallow.

That said though, Beware and Armed Boss, for me, are the two songs I would want remixed for a Geno DLC pack. Expectations tempered for sure, but... not even going to say it, I’m afraid I’ll jinx something haha.
If I may, why not just have one music track for both of those costumes? Going back to Joker, when we were seeing the Mii Costumes, we got Persona 4 protagonist and Teddy hat with only one music track playing (Reach out to the truth). They could have a different track from Persona 4 for each costume, but they didn't do that. I don't think they would use multiple tracks for a series' Mii costume reveal.

MattX20

Smash Hero
If I may, why not just have one music track for both of those costumes? Going back to Joker, when we were seeing the Mii Costumes, we got Persona 4 protagonist and Teddy hat with only one music track playing (Reach out to the truth). They could have a different track from Persona 4 for each costume, but they didn't do that. I don't think they would use multiple tracks for a series' Mii costume reveal.
Exactly, it doesn't make sense to use different music tracks for Mii Fighter costume reveals for characters from the same game like that. The timing of these copyright claims is weird to say the least

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
1562959574171.png

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Ooh, I had forgotten that! I was envisioning the trailer using Armed Boss to emphasize the addition of a Mallow costume. Kinda like, “Hey, there’s a Mallow costume too! Hooray right guys?”

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I came to this thread at the right time; I was listening to a VG soundtrack that was starting to get dramatic, and there's a thunderstorm coming into our neighborhood. Really set the mood for these recent posts lol.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Based on Joker, I think it's safe to say that we'll be getting at least one Brawler, Gunner, and Swordsmen type. Joker was two hats, two swordsmen, a gunner, and a brawler and I'm kind of expecting a similar format again. There's a side of me that wonders if they'll do FF VII because of the remake on the horizon and the anemic FF representation as is. Barrett and Tifa would actually work really well as costumes, and if we're totally honest, would probably sell more than the Geno costume. While I don't see the return of the Geno costume as a super unpopular thing, I could imagine a lot of people skipping out on it because they bought it in Smash 4. I'd argue this is much less of an issue with Tails and Knuckles because of how iconic and popular both are, plus Knuckles was already hard disconfirmed nearly 10 months before the costume showed up again.
Basing SE content on how well the other third-parties play along is a dangerous game.

Firox

Smash Master
That's certainly interesting I remember listening to those extended versions a few days ago too, Maybe like a week ago. I do wonder what this means it's either 1) Nothing. 2) Super Mario RPG Music will come with Geno's Mii Costume or 3) Geno is in Smash. Of course the first one is the most likely followed by the second but this is a curious situation.

Did this ever happen with Banjo? Cause I feel like it did happen before but if not it's still interesting.
To my knowledge, we've never had music come with a Mii costume because said music would have to be tied to a stage. There's no precedent for this, so I would have to say that we're most likely looking at scenarios 1 and 3. While it could easily be nothing, both the timing and Nintendo's involvement are beyond suspicious. Also, Beware of the Forest Mushrooms in particular is suspicious since many people consider that song the closest thing to a Geno theme song. I mean, of all SMRPG songs for Nintendo to mysteriously hit, why that one? I wouldn't instantly assume a Geno confirmation, but this is something we should definitely keep our eyes on. To be honest, this is the best tangible evidence yet to suggest that Geno could actually be coming.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom