• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
I've pondered it, and I think if Geno's costume were to return, it wouldn't affect his chances at all. I would say it's also extremely likely to return along with the Chocobo hat.

However if the costume is MIA, I think it bodes pretty damn well for him.

I'm lowkey excited for the Square costumes reveal now...

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I personally give the costume about a 1% chance it doesn't come back to the point that if it does, the situation regarding Geno honestly won't change much. It's just kind of the default outcome at this point. If it does not show up with the other SE costumes, then hell has officially frozen over and anything is fair game going forward.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Question, what made Pit be seen as such a good candiate back in the day? Was it his appereance in the Captain N Cartoon or something? I know this may seem wierd to ask because Pit is in Smash now but what made him the top contender back in the Pre-Brawl days (well i mean the days before Pit got confirmed)
It mostly had to do with Melee. In his trophy description, it said something along the lines of "will Pit ever fight again" and it peaked a lot of people's interest given how Sakurai had basically reinvented the Ice Climbers for Smash. I remember it spurred rumors back in the day that Pit was originally going to be in Smash 64 and Melee but Sakurai couldn't figure out how to balance a flying mechanic for a character (Source Gaming has an article explaining that this was ultimately false). Smash 64 was a simple slobberknocker while Melee tore the door off its hinges and made it about Nintendo's history, helping create a huge spike in people being interested in dead and dormant franchises and even Japanese exclusives. I feel like this is why the Wii/DS and 3DS era saw an explosion of series revivals like Excite Bike, Punch Out, Wario Land, Donkey Kong Country, Pilot Wings, and, of course, Kid Icarus as well as making the Virtual Console front and center in the Wii's marketing.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Please. This is MY go to doctor:
You know, rating the doctors based on how much you would trust them sounds like a fun activity.
I don't trust any of them besides Rosalina. Seriously, she is the only one I could buy having a doctorate.
Can we just all agree that the baby Doctors are some of the most ****ing stupid things that Nintendo has ever come up with? On a different note, Dr. Diddy is lowkey hilarious.
Speaking of doctors I don't trust... literal infants.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Can we just all agree that the baby Doctors are some of the most ****ing stupid things that Nintendo has ever come up with? On a different note, Dr. Diddy is lowkey hilarious.
Baby Dr. Pink Gold Peachette for Smash

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

They made Dr. Donkey Kong from the DKC cartoon canon

ZelDan

Smash Master
"Oh, you're feeling constipated frequently and have been having lower back problems?"

"TOO BAD! DR. WALUIGI TIME!"

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Dr. Wario is returning. Nice.

I'd love to see Geno and Mallow added to this. >.>
I don't care about mobile crap games, but if Geno and Mallow were downloadable content? It'd be the first and only time I'd download a mobile game like this AND pay for extra content. Never ever happening, but hypothetical scenarios and all.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think I can visualize how Geno would look as a doctor, but how would Mallow pull off the look?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think I can visualize how Geno would look as a doctor, but how would Mallow pull off the look?
With glorious 2.5d graphics.

I don't care about mobile crap games, but if Geno and Mallow were downloadable content? It'd be the first and only time I'd download a mobile game like this AND pay for extra content. Never ever happening, but hypothetical scenarios and all.
Well, exceptions exist for all, heh~

T2by4

Smash Lord
Dr. Wario is returning. Nice.

I'd love to see Geno and Mallow added to this. >.>
In a way I kind of think Nintendo knows of Geno's popularity but won't bring him back to a small game like Dr Mario world when they KNOW people are anticipating him for Smash or at the very least a sequel to Mario rpg. So if he did come back in that way, they have a good idea as to what his design will look like and start bringing him in those kind of spinoff games.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
In a way I kind of think Nintendo knows of Geno's popularity but won't bring him back to a small game like Dr Mario world when they KNOW people are anticipating him for Smash or at the very least a sequel to Mario rpg. So if he did come back in that way, they have a good idea as to what his design will look like and start bringing him in those kind of spinoff games.
Well, the fact they need to license him for use for anything is still something to keep in mind. Maybe it's not big enough for SE to say yes. Maybe they aren't interested in reusing the character. There's many possible reasons Nintendo won't license 'em out much. Smash is literally the only thing beyond an old cameo at best. It'd be neat if we found out a bit more why he rarely gets seen.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Also lowkey kind of hoping some talented artist can draw Geno in a cool doctors outfit or something. He'd look pretty cool in one.

Firox

Smash Master
I mean, who wouldn't have a doctorate in medicine before the age of 1? You don't need to be literate for that kind of stuff, right?....

D

Deleted member

Guys, the baby characters are in Dr. Mario World because it's "Bring your kid to work day"

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I've been pretty much on the Geno train since I was 8 years old (I'm 31 now). SMRPG was an enormous part of my childhood. I used to pretend to be Geno on the playground. I used to draw him in notebooks in school. I cried at the end of SMRPG and it's one of my favorite gaming memories because my best friend at the time was with me when it happened. He looked at me. I looked at him. He said "Geno..." and then started fake crying. I started real crying and then he hugged me and reassured me it was okay as the credits rolled. It wound up being an inside joke between us for years afterwards. I could practically write a dissertation on what SMRPG and Geno specifically mean to me and my identity as not only a gamer but as a whole.
Same man. Me and the neighbor kids would run around pretending to be the SMRPG cast outside and I would use a black marker as my hand gun to be Geno. We even found a perfect stump in the woods to fight Bowyer on. I remember asking my mom how to pronounce the name Geno as a kid as well (I was pronouncing it with a hard G).

This character is everything to me as far as Smash goes.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Same man. Me and the neighbor kids would run around pretending to be the SMRPG cast outside and I would use a black marker as my hand gun to be Geno. We even found a perfect stump in the woods to fight Bowyer on. I remember asking my mom how to pronounce the name Geno as a kid as well (I was pronouncing it with a hard G).

This character is everything to me as far as Smash goes.
Ghee-no, the clarified butter version of Geno.

He's the same character, but he really goes out of his way to make quality buttered popcorn.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ghee-no, the clarified butter version of Geno.

He's the same character, but he really goes out of his way to make quality buttered popcorn.
I read that as butler, then thought of Toadsworth, and hoped Ghee-no wouldn't have a very annoying voice clip.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
In doctor form, I can see Geno still with his hat on, but instead of a cape it's a white coat. Maybe a stethoscope around his neck? And each of his fingers turns into a tool! (Mirror, popsicle stick, cotton swab, etc)

Mallow's clothes would be too big for him. The hat would constantly be covering his eyes.

EDIT: OH GOD...You know when Mallow uses spells, his upper body floats? Imagine him in too big doctor clothes, but when his upper body floats up, he looks like a tall person! The image in my head is too much right now!

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
In doctor form, I can see Geno still with his hat on, but instead of a cape it's a white coat. Maybe a stethoscope around his neck? And each of his fingers turns into a tool! (Mirror, popsicle stick, cotton swab, etc)

Mallow's clothes would be too big for him. The hat would constantly be covering his eyes.

EDIT: OH GOD...You know when Mallow uses spells, his upper body floats? Imagine him in too big doctor clothes, but when his upper body floats up, he looks like a tall person! The image in my head is too much right now!
I am glad I decided to check back on this thread, because that edit is amazing.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I hope we'll get to see geno and mallow in more game in the future like mario party or mario kart that would be awesome

Firox

Smash Master
So in case any of you haven't seen it yet, the new Nintendo Switch Lite has been announced:

https://www.techradar.com/news/nintendo-switch-lite-release-date-price-games-and-more

Looks like it should be Smash Bros capable but some games apparently won't work on it due to the fact that it won't be dockable with the TV. It's "dedicated to portable gameplay" with a smaller screen and the joy cons are built in. The upside is that it will be $100 cheaper than the standard Switch. I just wish Nintendo would stop offering their hardware in such loud colors. The Switch Lite only comes in yellow, gray and bright turquoise. Almost as fun as the neon blue and kick-in-the-face pink joy cons. I guess gray isn't too bad but would it kill them to just make stuff in black or white? Or normal colors like red or blue? I had to order the japanese exclusive Mario Odyssey joy cons just to get red and black (which looks freaking amazing, might I add). Oh well. I'm sure someone will get a kick out this.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This. Smash has been the main platform for character comebacks for Nintendo for almost 19 years now so I don't expect anything less than a major Smash appearance, a remake of SMRPG, or an honest to God sequel.

domriver

Smash Lord
It mostly had to do with Melee. In his trophy description, it said something along the lines of "will Pit ever fight again" and it peaked a lot of people's interest given how Sakurai had basically reinvented the Ice Climbers for Smash. I remember it spurred rumors back in the day that Pit was originally going to be in Smash 64 and Melee but Sakurai couldn't figure out how to balance a flying mechanic for a character (Source Gaming has an article explaining that this was ultimately false). Smash 64 was a simple slobberknocker while Melee tore the door off its hinges and made it about Nintendo's history, helping create a huge spike in people being interested in dead and dormant franchises and even Japanese exclusives. I feel like this is why the Wii/DS and 3DS era saw an explosion of series revivals like Excite Bike, Punch Out, Wario Land, Donkey Kong Country, Pilot Wings, and, of course, Kid Icarus as well as making the Virtual Console front and center in the Wii's marketing.
You know Nintendo has Sakurai to thank for making many games famous/popular/wanted. I hope Nintendo is just kissing his ass because the man deserves really deserves it. Because of smash Pit has returned - Earthbound is highly wanted in the states now - Donkey Kong series knows that people want King K Rool still - Metroid - dare i say fire emblem LOL.

On a side note:
When me and my friend were watching the HERO reveal - we were like ok another sword fighter then we saw his the other DQ heros and I was like WHY SO MANY SWORD FIGHTERS THIS IS FIREEMBLEM AGAIN. lol I know its not the case but that was my initial reaction hejejeje.

Last edited by a moderator:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I am hoping for the Hero's video either tonight (like Joker) or tomorrow night. With Marine Day coming up in Japan, it would make sense to announce them releasing for Friday. That way, Japan has a three day weekend to play as The Hero.

EDIT: Also what are the chances Sakurai is the one talking for this one? I think it is likely. Which would give me some hope for our Star Boy.

EDIT EDIT: I explain my madness below. Had to get to work and my niece and nephew were running amuck.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace
EDIT: Also what are the chances Sakurai is the one talking for this one? I think it is likely. Which would give me some hope for our Star Boy.
I don't follow. Just because Sakurai is talking means that Geno's Mii Costume is less likely? Can you please explain a little, I'm quite confused?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I don't follow. Just because Sakurai is talking means that Geno's Mii Costume is less likely? Can you please explain a little, I'm quite confused?
Sorry had to go to work. What I mean is, anytime Sakurai presents something, more times than not, he has more to say. Now it could not be the case, but I feel if he were to present The Hero's moves and mechanics, he may have more up his sleeve. That was certainly the case with Cloud and presenting the Geno costume.

So in short, if Sakurai presents, expect something. If not, expect Geno costume returning. Hopefully that answers the question.

EDIT: Think of it this way. It is an odd situation no matter how you look at it. Sakurai went out of his way to make a big deal that Geno's Mii Costume was a thing. Now we have an instance where we do not know the fate of our Star Boy. Is he coming back as a costume? Is he more than that? Or is it nothing? With how big a deal it was in Sm4sh, will it be glossed over? I think Sakurai is the person to address it. Whether through The Hero's video, or a famitsu column stating why he is a costume again even though it was a big deal last game.

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I dunno. Since Hero and Banjo were just revealed a few weeks ago, I’m not expecting any new characters for a few months. We haven’t received a full Smash Direct since last November, so I’d suspect that we’ll get one more to wrap up the fighters pass (or to unveil the next round of DLC). I’m thinking we’ll get the last two characters simultaneously like Corrin & Bayonetta sometime after Banjo, probably around mid November–early December.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom