• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Man... there's no way this would happen. But wouldn't it be the greatest, if we had our final smash Direct, confirming the end of updates for the game, Sakurai reveals the last fighter pass character, who isn't Gino, the trailer happens, gameplay is shown, and then Sakurai confirms, this is the final character in The Fighter pass. this marks the end for DLC in Super Smash-

And then he's cut off buy a familiar chirping sound, and a message at the top of the screen that simply reads " Got a Freebie! "
and then Geno is revealed as a free bonus fighter for everyone to download.

I really don't expect another bonus fighter, especially not for free, but that would be a nice callback to Super Mario RPG.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Man... there's no way this would happen. But wouldn't it be the greatest, if we had our final smash Direct, confirming the end of updates for the game, Sakurai reveals the last fighter pass character, who isn't Gino, the trailer happens, gameplay is shown, and then Sakurai confirms, this is the final character in The Fighter pass. this marks the end for DLC in Super Smash-

And then he's cut off buy a familiar chirping sound, and a message at the top of the screen that simply reads " Got a Freebie! "

I really don't expect another bonus fighter, especially not for free, but that would be a nice callback to Super Mario RPG.
That would honestly be incredible. The idea of pulling the ULTIMATE troll...I love it and seems like a (semi) Sakurai move.

With both K.Rool and Banjo's Trailers, he did jebait us with Dedede and Duck Hunt. I could see/fathom a scenario where this could happen.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
What if Geno's reveal was a sequel to Banjo-Kazooie/K. Rool's trailer? Imagine this for a second: It replays Banjo and K. Rool's reveal but in reverse at like 1000 times speed then it lands on that picture with Mario, Peach and Bowser then it fades to black like the previous two.

I don't know where exactly it would take place but for the sake of it let's say it takes place at Bowser's Castle like the picture shows and it's a recreation of Exor entering Bowser's Castle of course it isn't known at the beginning that it's Exor only that it's an earthquake. They go outside to find out what the all the ruckus is to find a shadowy figure standing on top of that hill that's in-front of Bowser's Keep. The Shadowy figure who looks suspiciously like Geno then gives the crew a very familiar nod to acknowledge them. Then something that's covered in Shadows but looks like a sword hits the castle.

But then Mario looks up and what do we know? It's Exor then it pans back to the shadowy figure and bam it's Geno! Of course it then shows Geno's Splash screen and his moveset as well as his stage which as the trailer shows, It's Bowsers Keep with Exor as a stage hazard. After Geno is shown off it cuts back to the CGI trailer with Mario, Bowser and Peach reuniting with Geno after so long and they all give Geno a hug with the exception of Bowser who only acts like a big and tough guy but deep down he's really happy that Geno is back and while the others aren't looking he has the biggest smile on his face.

Then it cuts to black and Geno is talked about by Sakurai as the final DLC newcomer. I doubt any of this will happen but it's fun to imagine. I do think we very well may get Geno but I don't really know about it being something like this it's just fun to imagine and in a sense it's really it's own trailer but it's sort of connected to the other two as well.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
"GENO is here now never ask me for anything ever again!"
You know, considering how the Banjo trailer made notice of the whole Duck Hunt thing, this phrase actually being said by Sakurai in the future is scarily possible.

yakko789

Smash Apprentice
omg you guys, I had another dream where Geno made it into Smash, and I remember after I saw his reveal trailer, I logged into here and made a celebratory post, and it felt so real, then I woke up.

T________T

ZelDan

Smash Master
You know, considering how the Banjo trailer made notice of the whole Duck Hunt thing, this phrase actually being said by Sakurai in the future is scarily possible.
Sakurai being in the know on memes would be pretty terrifying...

Sakurai when releasing The Hero: "The Hero may wield a sword, but he's no Generic anime swordsman!"

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
omg you guys, I had another dream where Geno made it into Smash, and I remember after I saw his reveal trailer, I logged into here and made a celebratory post, and it felt so real, then I woke up.

T________T
Someday it will happen and it won't be a dream.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Sakurai being in the know on memes would be pretty terrifying...

Sakurai when releasing The Hero: "The Hero may wield a sword, but he's no Generic anime swordsman!"
As with most things of this variety, it always makes me wonder...

How different would the world of professional business and memes be if this never transpired?
1561438017986.png

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Yeah, as nice as it would be, there's a zero percent chance with get a unique character for free. I could maybe see an Echo dropped, but even then, I'm really not convinced Nintendo would pass up the opportunity to make money off of the fans in that way. From everything that Sakurai has said, way too much effort goes into unique characters for them to just so casually drop a free DLC one a year after launch. Mewtwo required a $100 buy-in to "get for free" and Piranha Plant required a $60 time-restricted buy in "to get for free." And both were sold independently after the fact. I think characters are just wayyyyyy too big for Nintendo to give out.

Geno would presumably takes months of development time and a transaction between Square Enix and Nintendo for his licensing rights. With him also potentially being one of the riskier propositions for the company. His mere existence as a purchasable character would be enough of a gift considering those factors. That said, I'm hopeful that Sakurai would look at the situation and be willing to absorb some of those costs to make him happen as paid DLC. That he would be the one willing to stick up for Geno if he's considered a risky proposition to other executives potentially attempting to guide his hand.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I don't think there's any better tagline than the name of his song

You really got me with that one.

I imagined that we're at the end of the Fighter's Pass. The fourth character had already been revealed. There's an in-game montage of all the characters fighting, showing off every single playable fighter.

Then it cuts to CG. It's dark. It looks like a dark room with a door at one end with a bright light shining through it, but the door isn't open all the way. The camera faces away from the door, as the wall is exposed to the light. The camera pans further into the dark as a silhouette begins to get exposed. It stirs a little right before the door begins to open wider and let more light in. The silhouette takes form and you see a doll-shaped figure slumped on the floor, leaning against a wooden dresser. That music kicks in.
The figure's eyes light up as if it were infused with solar power. The figure stands as the camera cuts to behind the figure which is shown to be caped as it faces the door as it opens all the way, with the noises of Smash clearly coming from outside the door. The figure slowly walks forward, away from the camera as it disappears into the bright light.

It cuts to the moment in World of Light where the fighters face off against Galeem after having gone through a significant portion of the Light map. Galeem does one of his crazy wing attacks. The wing is shattered as it's struck by an energy disc that veers off into the distance. Mario (and other characters) turn around and look to see where the disc came from. A figure from a small cliffside above them walks to the edge, folds his arms and nods at them.

GENO AWAKENS

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

Honestly this is is the only way i think it could actually go.

Brawl: Sakurai mentions several times he wish he had the ability, opportunity to put Geno in the game in hindsight, making people hopeful for 4

4: Sakurai releases a Geno costume as the absolute last DLC pack with a titlecard. He mentions he is sorry for not being able to get the fighter in Smash once again.

Now we are at Ultimate, and the Banjo trailer with the Duck Hunt meme has convinced me that Sakurai is 100% aware of his community, their jokes and their desires in this franchise. Geno has been shafted twice in the past decade. He is also one of Sakurai's favorite characters in smash. I dont expect him to be a fighters pass character, but I almost expect him as a bonus fighter knowing his history with the game, with the fanbase and with Sakurai himself.

How does Sakurai top Banjo? By shock-releasing probably the only other highly requested character that primarily was popularized by Sakurai himself.

Geno literally SHOULD be the absolute last character for Ultimate. Its his legacy at this point. He was mentioned many times post Brawl. He was the last Mii costume in 4. And with how Sakurai has been about surprises this release cycle, I almost fully expect it him to be the last surprise character (with some skepticism, but this IS the game to do it) because i seriously believe we will get at least 1 or 2 more fighters after the pass is done. It is the Sakurai thing to do.

Shockingly, this is the most hopeful ive been for the character, it just makes sense this time

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
“GENO...JUST PUT HIM IN ALREADY” This is from something so I obviously didn’t make it up, but it’s hilarious

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
I keep my hopes up for Geno. Things aren't looking good; look at the Spirit and Square already having a DLC character. Only way for him to come to Smash, is as an extra fighter after this DLC pack. Geno doesn't NEED a stage, just him and some music would already be okay. The chances are really low. Let's see if the Hero update brings back the Geno costume...

If Sakurai somehow manages to put him in whatsoever, then this Smash will really BE Ultimate. All the previous characters, Ridley, King K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie and Geno: a dream come true probably for every Smash player. Speculation scene for Smash 6 will be so different if those 4 characters are in.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Things aren't looking good; look at the Spirit and Square already having a DLC character. Only way for him to come to Smash, is as an extra fighter after this DLC pack.
These are both fan created rules.

Historically, fan created rules don't hold up very well when all is said and done.

Yeah, the spirit and DQ character aren't ideal for our our peace of mind here, but he has plenty of things that look good for him as well.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I keep my hopes up for Geno. Things aren't looking good; look at the Spirit and Square already having a DLC character. Only way for him to come to Smash, is as an extra fighter after this DLC pack. Geno doesn't NEED a stage, just him and some music would already be okay. The chances are really low. Let's see if the Hero update brings back the Geno costume...

If Sakurai somehow manages to put him in whatsoever, then this Smash will really BE Ultimate. All the previous characters, Ridley, King K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie and Geno: a dream come true probably for every Smash player. Speculation scene for Smash 6 will be so different if those 4 characters are in.
Imo, it was ALWAYS

Ridley
K. Rool
Banjo
Geno
Isaac

We got the first 3 in literally 1 game. If we manage squeeze Geno in there, that'd be nuts.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
These are both fan created rules.

Historically, fan created rules don't hold up very well when all is said and done.

Yeah, the spirit and DQ character aren't ideal for our our peace of mind here, but he has plenty of things that look good for him as well.
I feel like spirit board wouldn’t even be that big of a deal considering Joker came with only spirits from his specific game. I would also guess Hero is coming with only DQ franchise spirits, and Geno could easily come with SMRPG ones. The biggest question mark to me would be mii costumes. Though realistically there’s enough SE characters and SMRPG characters that could definitely fill 2 passes worth of Mii Costumes.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I recently have been playing around with a few ideas regarding an original idea/story that is based on what Super Mario RPG has to offer.

I guess that's what happens when people grow nostalgic over certain things.

Regarding Smash Speculation. I find myself more at peace of mind since slowing down my speculation. I guess I'm now in a let's see what happens mode.

I also moved onto CTR so just taking a break from Smash Bros is nice. (With CEO coming up soon, my break might not be that long)

But still wanting Geno and I am hoping Sakurai finally answers our prayers.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So I beat Smithy on my second try yesterday, and was able to do it with Mallow.

I think the problem I had the first time around was I probably used too many items in the first phase, and didn't realize "Shredder" or whatever the attack was called removed the buffs from Geno Boost. I only had to use a few pick me ups.

The ending was very nice, though I'm not really sure what to say about it; I just liked it. It was sad to see Geno leave, but he seemed to brighten up Mario and co. before going back to Star Road, giving an unspoken(?) goodbye.

Perhaps Nintendo and Square will bring him and Mallow back, whether through Smash (not just spirits and a costume) or something else.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Super Mario RPG's ending does hit me in the feels the bone. Seeing Mario And Peach wave goodbye to Geno during the parade and the classic SMB1 tune playing at "The end" are what get me.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I feel like spirit board wouldn’t even be that big of a deal considering Joker came with only spirits from his specific game. I would also guess Hero is coming with only DQ franchise spirits, and Geno could easily come with SMRPG ones. The biggest question mark to me would be mii costumes. Though realistically there’s enough SE characters and SMRPG characters that could definitely fill 2 passes worth of Mii Costumes.
Not to mention that there's no hard rule that all the costumes have to be SMRPG or even Square related. Like I said the other day, they could have hats and Mii costumes based on the characters in the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi RPGs and easily come up with 4 or 5 costumes across basically a dozen games.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Now that I think about it, I guess we should've known why Geno hasn't come back all this time.

He turned into the letter "D" in "THE END" at the end of SMRPG.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Now that I think about it, I guess we should've known why Geno hasn't come back all this time.

He turned into the letter "D" in "THE END" at the end of SMRPG.
Wait, maybe we will get the letter D as a playable character in Smash Ultimate!

there's no spirit for the letter D currently!

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Not to mention that there's no hard rule that all the costumes have to be SMRPG or even Square related. Like I said the other day, they could have hats and Mii costumes based on the characters in the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi RPGs and easily come up with 4 or 5 costumes across basically a dozen games.
I could definitely see hats/costumes based off of Goombario, Fawful, X-Nauts, Prince Peasley, Count Bleck, etc.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
What if all the Super Mario RPG references in smash right now are apart of one giant ARG and we need to solve the puzzle for Geno to be released.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
What if all the Super Mario RPG references in smash right now are apart of one giant ARG and we need to solve the puzzle for Geno to be released.
Quick a group of people need to get to Sakurai's house and reenact the Booster cake eating scene on his front lawn! That's the only way to get the next clue!

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Quick a group of people need to get to Sakurai's house and reenact the Booster cake eating scene on his front lawn! That's the only way to get the next clue!
That played in my head and the thought of that would be hilarious.

Imagine going outside to get the newspaper and you see this big *** cake just on your lawn. Waiting for someone to get close and then BAM!

GENO GIVES YOU A BIG HINT SAKURAI!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom