• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So before I hype you all up and inspire you, I want to honestly cover the things we really need to worry about.

Returning Mii Costumes
  • When the video that goes into more depth about what The Hero does inevitably drops, we will also get Square Enix Mii costumes. If Geno is among them I would honestly tell you not to expect him in the Fighter Pass or for DLC. It’s not the biggest deconfirmation that could happen, but I’m pretty sure none of us expect Tails to make it in due to his costume coming back, so I think we should apply the same logic here for our blue puppet boi.

One Character Per Company
  • It is possible that Sakurai may have branched out and made an attempt to get a character from five different companies, meaning that Square Enix only has one character in this Fighter Pass and that is The Hero. However I would like to note that Sakurai is working with the same companies he did last time: Square Enix, Namco, Capcom, and Sega. Microsoft is the only new one we have seen thus far, which to me means working with companies you have worked with before is easier. Also it really feels like Sakurai is trying to answer fan requests as hard as he can with Ultimate, but I guess we just have to wait and see.

DLC Has Had No Spirits In Base Game
  • So far we have gotten Joker, The Hero and Banjo & Kazooie. Joker came with his own special Spirit Board and there were no Persona Spirits in the base game. Correct me if I’m wrong, but there are also no Dragon Quest or Banjo-Kazooie/Rare Spirits in the base game. Geno (and Mallow) are both Spirits that were there in the base game. Now trust me, I’m an advocate of ‘Spirits don’t deconfirm’ and I know about Spirits having a separate team and ALL of that, but the facts are we are ⅗ through the Fighter Pass and not a single one of them has Spirits prior to their release.

Sora: Small Name, BIG Complications
  • Yeah yeah, I know I know. Most of you guys think Sora is out of the running just because of something Shinji Hashimoto may or may not have said. Please don’t forget that Grant Kirkhope was trying to play Hype Police prior to E3 even though HE IS ARRANGING THE MUSIC FOR BANJO-KAZOOIE IN SMASH! I can’t stress this enough: you can say no under NDA and you can say ‘I don’t know’ or anything vague enough that isn’t ‘Yes!’, and not everyone has to know about DLC plans, only those directly necessary...and Shinji isn’t needed if Nomura is there.

With that out of the way, Sora is entirely still a possibility. So, let’s say that there is no ‘one character per company’ limit and Sakurai wants to get another Square character. You would think Geno is next on the list: Big Boy Cloud and literally all the main protagonists of Dragon Quest are already in the game, so who else could be standing in his way? Welp, Geno has one more wall, and that wall wields a key for a weapon.

You guys remember when I said it made more sense for Sakurai to pick Cloud over Geno, given the option? Remember when I did all that DQ research and came out of it thinking DQ was more likely? This is twice now that a bigger, more recognized franchise belonging to Square Enix got into Smash before Geno, and given the choice once again...could you say Geno would come before Sora? You may say ‘Sora is Disney’ but again, Square made him and all the OG Kingdom Hearts characters as well as the FF characters and Nomura would HAVE to be there for negotiations as well as making sure Sora is represented properly. Any way you slice it, Sora is still a Square rep: he’s just also tied to the titan that is Disney, who isn’t as hard to work with as people might make you believe.

I just needed to get these things out of the way in terms of realism, because while we do have reason to be hyped and hopeful, we also need to make sure we know where his odds truly are. We need the facts and we need to face them and not accidentally slip into a fantasy world where Geno’s chance are so high that he’s basically guaranteed.

That being said…

WE AREN’T GONNA LET THAT STOP THIS HYPE TRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN!!!!!!

EMO-POWERED SPIKEY-HAIR WITH A BIG SWORD?

WALL = GONE!

DISCOUNT DRAGON BALL RPG CHARACTERS?

WALL = GONE!

BERRR N BURB ARE IN THE GODDAMN GAME?

FAITH IN SAKURAI = RESTORED!

Geno’s chances for Smash have never been higher than they are right now, and that’s not even remotely overhyping anything. Two of the biggest competitors from the company that owns him are now in the game and can no longer stand in his way. The last real wall left is Sora, and depending on the day, Geno either beats him or very nearly does so in fan demand. But more than all that…

BANJO-KAZOOIE IS IN THE FREAKING GAME!

This was THE pipe dream of all pipe dreams, so much so that the Smashboards topic here for B&K was even NAMED Project Dream. This was the far-fetched, longshot, ‘never gonna happen and you are stupid for hoping for it’ of ALL Smash hopes and dreams and IT ****ING HAPPENED!

For all we know at this moment, there are no plans for a new game or a remake. For all we know right now, NINTENDO PAID TO RENEW THE TRADEMARK FOR BANJO-KAZOOIE JUST TO HAVE THEM IN SMASH! DO YOU UNDERSTAND HOW CRAZY THAT IS?

A beloved character tag-team that has been dead since essentially their second title in 2000 and has only carried on in a horrible spin-off we never want to talk about and in the hearts of those who loved them MADE THEIR WAY INTO THE BIGGEST CROSSOVER GAME SINCE MARVEL VS CAPCOM!

Yes, I’m freaking out right now, and Banjo-Kazooie wasn’t even a big pick of mine despite loving the characters. I’m freaking out, and YOU ALL SHOULD BE TOO because this is the exact definition of not only ‘EVERYONE IS HERE!’ but also ‘SAKURAI CAN GET ANYONE!’

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE! LITERALLY ANY VIDEO GAME CHARACTER CAN HAPPEN!

IT DOESN’T MATTER HOW BIG THEY ARE!
IT DOESN’T MATTER HOW IRRELEVANT THEY ARE!
IT DOESN’T MATTER WHO OWNS THE CHARACTER!

IF THE FANS SPEAK LOUD ENOUGH, THEY WILL BE HEARD AND NINTENDO AND SAKURAI WILL MAKE THEIR DREAMS A REALITY!

I noticed that a lot of you posted here right after Luminary and the rest of the DQ Crew were revealed, and you were all very down in the dumps. I didn’t even remotely feel that way as I was so happy for the DQ fans and I knew that this meant one less issue for Geno, and that is how we should look at it from here on out.

Then I noticed how you all flew to the moon alongside myself when B&K got revealed, and I’m glad that dreams were made real and that this brought back faith that Geno could happen. I’m glad your faith has been restored, I’m glad you feel that fire again.

NOW HERE I AM ASKING YOU TO USE THE FIRE! BECOME A GODDAMN FIRE BENDER! LET ME HEAR THE ROAR OF THE FLAMES WITHIN YOU!

FEEL THE ENERGY OF A THOUSAND SUNS SWELL WITHIN YOU!

LET ME FUEL IT SO YOU FEEL LIKE YOU CAN PERSONALLY FLY TO STAR ROAD AND BRING BACK GENO!

This is not the time for us Geno Fans to stand idly by and clap for our brothers and sisters as they rejoice and revel in their victory and spoils! We are happy for them, no doubt, but this is when we don our armor and brandish our weapons of choice and surge forth back into the battle with a new vigor the world has yet to have seen! The light at the end of the tunnel has grown even brighter! The wall our siege has yielded to for years has begun to crumble and crack and I’ll be DAMNED if I let that opportunity go to waste, and neither should you!

If you draw, DRAW UNTIL YOUR HANDS CRAMP UP AND YOUR ARMS FALL OFF!

If you animate, MAXIMIZE THE DETAIL FRAME BY FRAME!

If you make music, BEWARE THE FOREST’S MUSHROOMS NEEDS A REMIX AND COVER IN EVERY GENRE!

If you make games, MAKE A GAME SO APPETIZING IT GETS A C&D FASTER THAN POKEMON URANIUM!

If you make toys, WE NEED TWO-HUNDRED THOUSAND GENO PLUSHIES, STAT!

If you make clothes, I WANT GENO MERCH IN SHIRTS, HOODIES, PANTS, HATS, SHOES, SOCKS, PAJAMAS, YOU NAME IT! I DON'T CARE IF YOU MAKE UNDERWEAR, GIMME SOME GENO UNDIES RIGHT NOW!

If you can write, I NEED A STORY ABOUT GENO IN EVERY GENRE! I DON’T CARE IF IT’S GENO X OC FANFICTION, SHOW US HOW MUCH YOU REALLY LOVE GENO!

If you are a YouTuber/Twitch Streamer, WHERE IS THAT SMRPG LET’S PLAY?! I DON’T CARE HOW SMALL YOUR CHANNEL IS, GET ON THAT LET’S PLAY!

If you can make a video, MAKE A VIDEO ABOUT HOW MUCH GENO AND SMRPG MEAN TO YOU! LET THE WORLD KNOW HOW MUCH YOU CARE!

And if for some reason none of the above applies to you and you somehow have no talent whatsoever (much like myself)...

YOU STILL HAVE A VOICE!

BLOW UP NINTENDO ON SOCIAL MEDIA! @ THEM ON TWITTER, CATCH THEM ON FACEBOOK, E-MAIL THEM DIRECTLY! HELL, EVEN TALK ABOUT GENO ON OTHER FORUMS! HIT UP NOA, NOJ, HELL EVEN NOE! IF THERE IS A BRANCH I WANT THEM TO KNOW ABOUT IT! I DON’T CARE IF IT SEEMS ANNOYING! YOU THINK THE K. ROOL KLAN CARED ABOUT BEING ANNOYING?! YOU THINK RIDLEY SUPPORTERS CARED ABOUT WHAT OTHERS THOUGHT ABOUT THEM?!

I WANT TO SEE GENO ON TRENDING! I WANT TO SEE A SURGE OF FACEBOOK GROUPS DEDICATED TO HIM! I WANT TO SEE DEVIANTART TAKEN OVER BY HIS BEAUTIFUL PUPPET FACE! I WANT TO SEE TUMBLR GUSHING OVER HIM! I WANT TO SEE SMRPG THREATENING FORTNITE AND LEAGUE OF LEGENDS ON TWITCH FOR NUMBER OF VIEWERS AND STREAMERS! I WANT TO SEE NOTHING BUT GENO IN MY RECOMMENDED TAB!

And when our boy SSGuy SSGuy gets that website done, I want ALL OF YOU HERE TO MAKE A WISH ON THAT SITE TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT! THEN I WANT US TO HAVE ANOTHER PETITION AFTER THIS SWELL OF SUPPORT WE’VE SHOWN! HELL MAKE IT FIFTEEN PETITIONS! MAKE ONE FOR EACH STATE, HELL, FOR EACH INDIVIDUALLY RECOGNIZED REGION OR SECTOR IN THE WORLD!

Because even though the DLC for the Fighter Pass is chosen, that doesn’t mean Geno doesn’t have a chance either in that pass or after, but if we lie down now after twenty-three years when at a time when we should have stood up...then what was the point of it all?

Nintendo needs to know that they are granting wishes, but they need to know the next biggest wish of them all, and that’s for our blue puppet boi to take a vacation from Star Road and come down and duke it out with his friends of old.

Now…

WHO’S WITH ME?!

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So before I hype you all up and inspire you, I want to honestly cover the things we really need to worry about.

Returning Mii Costumes
  • When the video that goes into more depth about what The Hero does inevitably drops, we will also get Square Enix Mii costumes. If Geno is among them I would honestly tell you not to expect him in the Fighter Pass or for DLC. It’s not the biggest deconfirmation that could happen, but I’m pretty sure none of us expect Tails to make it in due to his costume coming back, so I think we should apply the same logic here for our blue puppet boi.

• It is possible that Sakurai may have branched out and made an attempt to get a character from five different companies, meaning that Square Enix only has one character in this Fighter Pass and that is The Hero. However I would like to note that Sakurai is working with the same companies he did last time: Square Enix, Namco, Capcom, and Sega. Microsoft is the only new one we have seen thus far, which to me means working with companies you have worked with before is easier. Also it really feels like Sakurai is trying to answer fan requests as hard as he can with Ultimate, but I guess we just have to wait and see.

• So far we have gotten Joker, The Hero and Banjo & Kazooie. Joker came with his own special Spirit Board and there were no Persona Spirits in the base game. Correct me if I’m wrong, but there are also no Dragon Quest or Banjo-Kazooie/Rare Spirits in the base game. Geno (and Mallow) are both Spirits that were there in the base game. Now trust me, I’m an advocate of ‘Spirits don’t deconfirm’ and I know about Spirits having a separate team and ALL of that, but the facts are we are ⅗ through the Fighter Pass and not a single one of them has Spirits prior to their release.

• Yeah yeah, I know I know. Most of you guys think Sora is out of the running just because of something Shinji Hashimoto may or may not have said. Please don’t forget that Grant Kirkhope was trying to play Hype Police prior to E3 even though HE IS ARRANGING THE MUSIC FOR BANJO-KAZOOIE IN SMASH! I can’t stress this enough: you can say no under NDA and you can say ‘I don’t know’ or anything vague enough that isn’t ‘Yes!’, and not everyone has to know about DLC plans, only those directly necessary...and Shinji isn’t needed if Nomura is there.

With that out of the way, Sora is entirely still a possibility. So, let’s say that there is no ‘one character per company’ limit and Sakurai wants to get another Square character. You would think Geno is next on the list: Big Boy Cloud and literally all the main protagonists of Dragon Quest are already in the game, so who else could be standing in his way? Welp, Geno has one more wall, and that wall wields a key for a weapon.

You guys remember when I said it made more sense for Sakurai to pick Cloud over Geno, given the option? Remember when I did all that DQ research and came out of it thinking DQ was more likely? This is twice now that a bigger, more recognized franchise belonging to Square Enix got into Smash before Geno, and given the choice once again...could you say Geno would come before Sora? You may say ‘Sora is Disney’ but again, Square made him and all the OG Kingdom Hearts characters as well as the FF characters and Nomura would HAVE to be there for negotiations as well as making sure Sora is represented properly. Any way you slice it, Sora is still a Square rep: he’s just also tied to the titan that is Disney, who isn’t as hard to work with as people might make you believe.

I just needed to get these things out of the way in terms of realism, because while we do have reason to be hyped and hopeful, we also need to make sure we know where his odds truly are. We need the facts and we need to face them and not accidentally slip into a fantasy world where Geno’s chance are so high that he’s basically guaranteed.

That being said…

WALL = GONE!

WALL = GONE!

Geno’s chances for Smash have never been higher than they are right now, and that’s not even remotely overhyping anything. Two of the biggest competitors from the company that owns him are now in the game and can no longer stand in his way. The last real wall left is Sora, and depending on the day, Geno either beats him or very nearly does so in fan demand. But more than all that…

This was THE pipe dream of all pipe dreams, so much so that the Smashboards topic here for B&K was even NAMED Project Dream. This was the far-fetched, longshot, ‘never gonna happen and you are stupid for hoping for it’ of ALL Smash hopes and dreams and IT ****ING HAPPENED!

For all we know at this moment, there are no plans for a new game or a remake. For all we know right now, NINTENDO PAID TO RENEW THE TRADEMARK FOR BANJO-KAZOOIE JUST TO HAVE THEM IN SMASH! DO YOU UNDERSTAND HOW CRAZY THAT IS?

A beloved character tag-team that has been dead since essentially their second title in 2000 and has only carried on in a horrible spin-off we never want to talk about and in the hearts of those who loved them MADE THEIR WAY INTO THE BIGGEST CROSSOVER GAME SINCE MARVEL VS CAPCOM!

Yes, I’m freaking out right now, and Banjo-Kazooie wasn’t even a big pick of mine despite loving the characters. I’m freaking out, and YOU ALL SHOULD BE TOO because this is the exact definition of not only ‘EVERYONE IS HERE!’ but also ‘SAKURAI CAN GET ANYONE!’

IF THE FANS SPEAK LOUD ENOUGH, THEY WILL BE HEARD AND NINTENDO AND SAKURAI WILL MAKE THEIR DREAMS A REALITY!

I noticed that a lot of you posted here right after Luminary and the rest of the DQ Crew were revealed, and you were all very down in the dumps. I didn’t even remotely feel that way as I was so happy for the DQ fans and I knew that this meant one less issue for Geno, and that is how we should look at it from here on out.

Then I noticed how you all flew to the moon alongside myself when B&K got revealed, and I’m glad that dreams were made real and that this brought back faith that Geno could happen. I’m glad your faith has been restored, I’m glad you feel that fire again.

NOW HERE I AM ASKING YOU TO USE THE FIRE! BECOME A GODDAMN FIRE BENDER! LET ME HEAR THE ROAR OF THE FLAMES WITHIN YOU!

LET ME FUEL IT SO YOU FEEL LIKE YOU CAN PERSONALLY FLY TO STAR ROAD AND BRING BACK GENO!

This is not the time for us Geno Fans to stand idly by and clap for our brothers and sisters as they rejoice and revel in their victory and spoils! We are happy for them, no doubt, but this is when we don our armor and brandish our weapons of choice and surge forth back into the battle with a new vigor the world has yet to have seen! The light at the end of the tunnel has grown even brighter! The wall our siege has yielded to for years has begun to crumble and crack and I’ll be DAMNED if I let that opportunity go to waste, and neither should you!

If you make music, BEWARE THE FOREST’S MUSHROOMS NEEDS A REMIX AND COVER IN EVERY GENRE!

If you make games, MAKE A GAME SO APPETIZING IT GETS A C&D FASTER THAN POKEMON URANIUM!

If you make clothes, I WANT GENO MERCH IN SHIRTS, HOODIES, PANTS, HATS, SHOES, SOCKS, PAJAMAS, YOU NAME IT! I DON'T CARE IF YOU MAKE UNDERWEAR, GIMME SOME GENO UNDIES RIGHT NOW!

If you can write, I NEED A STORY ABOUT GENO IN EVERY GENRE! I DON’T CARE IF IT’S GENO X OC FANFICTION, SHOW US HOW MUCH YOU REALLY LOVE GENO!

If you are a YouTuber/Twitch Streamer, WHERE IS THAT SMRPG LET’S PLAY?! I DON’T CARE HOW SMALL YOUR CHANNEL IS, GET ON THAT LET’S PLAY!

If you can make a video, MAKE A VIDEO ABOUT HOW MUCH GENO AND SMRPG MEAN TO YOU! LET THE WORLD KNOW HOW MUCH YOU CARE!

And if for some reason none of the above applies to you and you somehow have no talent whatsoever (much like myself)...

YOU STILL HAVE A VOICE!

BLOW UP NINTENDO ON SOCIAL MEDIA! @ THEM ON TWITTER, CATCH THEM ON FACEBOOK, E-MAIL THEM DIRECTLY! HELL, EVEN TALK ABOUT GENO ON OTHER FORUMS! HIT UP NOA, NOJ, HELL EVEN NOE! IF THERE IS A BRANCH I WANT THEM TO KNOW ABOUT IT! I DON’T CARE IF IT SEEMS ANNOYING! YOU THINK THE K. ROOL KLAN CARED ABOUT BEING ANNOYING?! YOU THINK RIDLEY SUPPORTERS CARED ABOUT WHAT OTHERS THOUGHT ABOUT THEM?!

I WANT TO SEE GENO ON TRENDING! I WANT TO SEE A SURGE OF FACEBOOK GROUPS DEDICATED TO HIM! I WANT TO SEE DEVIANTART TAKEN OVER BY HIS BEAUTIFUL PUPPET FACE! I WANT TO SEE TUMBLR GUSHING OVER HIM! I WANT TO SEE SMRPG THREATENING FORTNITE AND LEAGUE OF LEGENDS ON TWITCH FOR NUMBER OF VIEWERS AND STREAMERS! I WANT TO SEE NOTHING BUT GENO IN MY RECOMMENDED TAB!

And when our boy SSGuy SSGuy gets that website done, I want ALL OF YOU HERE TO MAKE A WISH ON THAT SITE TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT! THEN I WANT US TO HAVE ANOTHER PETITION AFTER THIS SWELL OF SUPPORT WE’VE SHOWN! HELL MAKE IT FIFTEEN PETITIONS! MAKE ONE FOR EACH STATE, HELL, FOR EACH INDIVIDUALLY RECOGNIZED REGION OR SECTOR IN THE WORLD!

Because even though the DLC for the Fighter Pass is chosen, that doesn’t mean Geno doesn’t have a chance either in that pass or after, but if we lie down now after twenty-three years when at a time when we should have stood up...then what was the point of it all?

Nintendo needs to know that they are granting wishes, but they need to know the next biggest wish of them all, and that’s for our blue puppet boi to take a vacation from Star Road and come down and duke it out with his friends of old.

Now…

WHO’S WITH ME?!
I am with you, but man is that a wall you just made. Nothing wrong with that, but holy ****.

Edit:
Thanks for spoiling it. My poor phone would've cried otherwise.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm surprised to have seen very little fan art of wanted characters in the 'Everyone is Here' mural.

I've seen art for Rayman and Bomberman but otherwise, nothing. I would love to see some good mural fan art including Geno (and no, the blurry job that is the Grinch 'leak' doesn't count haha). Calling any bored artists who are up for it :grin:.
Well that's because it takes a lot of talent. If there's something the Grinch leak taught us, is that it's pretty hard to move the characters around to have space to draw in.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Something I just realized is that the DLC was already in planning around January 2018, with the Team Geno and Team Mallow tweet coming for the NA SMRPG anniversary only a few months after.

HMMMMMMMno it means nothing lol.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I agree with Sakurai. The games we play as kids do leave a lasting impression on us, and we remember them with more fondness as adults. As gamers, we grow up and spend a lot of our time playing games, but we can never really quite reach that same high as we had when we played games for the first time ever. Makes sense to me why I love Geno so much, and lots of other Nintendo characters from the SNES era, cause that was my first console, and I was like, 7 years old. Now I'm in Uni working on a Video Game Design Bachelors, so yeah, games and characters we're exposed to early in life can have a huge impact. I know Sakurai said the characters are decided already, and I hope Geno is in there, but I'm just going to sit and wait patiently, cause Sakurai always breaks his rules and surprises us.
I'm going to have disagree with not being able to reach the heights in gaming that you once did. Maybe I'm still young enough for it to not count (I mean, I turn 23 this year, so I don't really know when that cut off would be if it hasn't already happened). But honestly, I've never really quit having those amazing gaming moments as I've gotten older. Every new Smash has brought pure joy to my face in terms of playing the game that feels as good, if not better than it did when I originally played Melee 14 years ago. I've come across amazing new experiences like raids in Destiny when I was 17-18, Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 in the past couple of years that I've probably enjoyed more than most other games, Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey both still managed to take my breath away and embody fun.

Sure, there's specific moments in my gaming history I look upon with fond nostalgia that I know I will never recapture, but that has never bothered me and has never served as an obstacle to making equally great memories and experiences in much more recent memory. I think I definitely had a higher tolerance for bull**** and bad game design back then though, so some games just don't objectively hold up as much as the nostalgia may want them too (I mean, **** playing Pokemon Blue in the modern day after all the QoL improvements...).

I'm also just super against the general ideas of the best time in your life being when you were young and the tendency to immortalize the past in the mind as some unobtainable high point that we both strive to reach, but also are willing to admit can't be obtained. That sort of stuff has never flown with me on a deeply personal level haha (I'm not criticizing you specifically or the post, just throwing in my own two cents on that issue).

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hey owjies owjies , I thought about your voice suggestion some more since yesterday and I have to say...
That made me think about Mallow being Geno's Daru and I shall never forgive you for inadvertently causing that mental image.

oh god why

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
Something I just realized is that the DLC was already in planning around January 2018, with the Team Geno and Team Mallow tweet coming for the NA SMRPG anniversary only a few months after.

Well I don't know chief it may be a hint. Sure it's unlikely but I'd be interested in seeing someone dig deeper around then to see if there was any recent references or mentions of the other characters that're DLC like Joker or DQ if so then hmm.. It probably means nothing but it would be interesting.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

I think the tweet plus the artist mention of Geno being discussed plus the trivia app question with Geno mentioned all make me think something is going on. Whether that something is Smash related or not I have no clue.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If he doesn't get in, I suspect their reasoning would be his moveset ironically -- they might perceive Geno as unoriginal because he uses guns, and that's the reason why they gave him the Mii Gunner Costume in the first place. And that reasoning would be nonsensical given almost every single main protagonist in the DQ series, all themselves extremely generic sword fighters, were just added as DLC, but that's the only reasoning I can think of that makes any sense.

So either Geno will end up being the last DLC character or there's some other factor at play we didn't consider.
Except we don't really have any "gun" specialists like Geno in Smash aside from MegaMan, who actually only really uses a gun for six of his attacks and half of those are standing lemons, jumping lemons, and running lemons, and Mii Gunner, which is mostly an arm cannon like Samus and MegaMan, that fires energy bursts and a few explosives. Something else I didn't consider until today is that, if you look at the new Gunner costumes in Ultimate, you already have the toy template covered because Custom Robo and Chibi Robo were added in this game. Will they add a third? Hard to say but it would be kind of redundant at this point.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Except we don't really have any "gun" specialists like Geno in Smash aside from MegaMan, who actually only really uses a gun for six of his attacks and half of those are standing lemons, jumping lemons, and running lemons, and Mii Gunner, which is mostly an arm cannon like Samus and MegaMan, that fires energy bursts and a few explosives. Something else I didn't consider until today is that, if you look at the new Gunner costumes in Ultimate, you already have the toy template covered because Custom Robo and Chibi Robo were added in this game. Will they add a third? Hard to say but it would be kind of redundant at this point.
I know; I just can't help but think that that's how they see it anyway given how horrifyingly irrational everybody seems to be about everything these days. It was the only reason I could think of that made even a lick of sense despite how irrational it seems.

The only other one I can think of off of the top of my head is that Geno isn't as popular as we're all assuming he is and that Nintendo and Square feel Cloud and The Hero are more deserving of the spot. Which again doesn't make sense given how much people screamed for Geno in the Brawl days and how he still polls well even nowadays, but Nintendo and Square might have marketing information we don't -- if Geno doesn't make DLC, this could quite possibly be the reason. If Geno doesn't make it in we're definitely going to have to question our most basic assumptions and ask ourselves if perhaps the talking points that his haters have used so steadfastly actually did have merit after all.

Maybe Square would have just wanted Cloud and The Hero in and didn't want Nintendo to choose Geno for one of their spots. Maybe they would have just wanted Nintendo to only include their most marketable characters on the roster.

I'm pretty sure Geno's probably gonna net the last DLC spot though. If he doesn't, then we can ask these questions in earnest. I'm just speculating, is all.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Regarding the "Geno is a good fit because the gun hand" thing, I think the biggest barrier to his entry isn't Mega Man, it's the Mii Gunner. Sakurai may view putting the Geno costume onto a Mii as sufficient representation of Geno's likeness and an acceptable moveset. You've got a Geno costume to play with and you can even make your Mii look a lot like him thanks to his more basic round design, bada bing bada boom.

Which I don't necessarily agree with, Smash Legacy gave him a cool moveset and I've already written about how Geno could be the ultimate expression of playing with an action figure in Smash, but I understand the logic.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Didn't Sakurai say he thought Geno seemed like he would fit perfectly in Smash around the time his Mii costume was released? I'm absolutely certain that Sakurai is capable of making Geno into an interesting fighter without much concern for being just another gunner. He's got plenty of potential as it is.

Also dang, I forgot about that trivia question with Geno in it. Nintendo please.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
You know, if SMRPG were to be remade, would you want the gameplay to change in a similar vein to the FFVII remake?
As a huge fan of SMRPG's isometric turn-based fighting, I'd hate that. Don't get me wrong, SMRPG being remade would be like a dream come true but to ditch the original game's battle system? Ew.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
You know, if SMRPG were to be remade, would you want the gameplay to change in a similar vein to the FFVII remake?
Hecking no. SMRPG pioneered the Timed Hit mechanic of the Mario RPG series. If anything I want them to expand on it.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
As a huge fan of SMRPG's isometric turn-based fighting, I'd hate that. Don't get me wrong, SMRPG being remade would be like a dream come true but to ditch the original game's battle system? Ew.
I don't see them changing the battle system. I see it being more so similar to what it use to be. Dragon Quest didn't go into the KH route like FF so I can see SMRPG remaining pure as well.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
I know; I just can't help but think that that's how they see it anyway given how horrifyingly irrational everybody seems to be about everything these days. It was the only reason I could think of that made even a lick of sense despite how irrational it seems.

The only other one I can think of off of the top of my head is that Geno isn't as popular as we're all assuming he is and that Nintendo and Square feel Cloud and The Hero are more deserving of the spot. Which again doesn't make sense given how much people screamed for Geno in the Brawl days and how he still polls well even nowadays, but Nintendo and Square might have marketing information we don't -- if Geno doesn't make DLC, this could quite possibly be the reason. If Geno doesn't make it in we're definitely going to have to question our most basic assumptions and ask ourselves if perhaps the talking points that his haters have used so steadfastly actually did have merit after all.

Maybe Square would have just wanted Cloud and The Hero in and didn't want Nintendo to choose Geno for one of their spots. Maybe they would have just wanted Nintendo to only include their most marketable characters on the roster.

I'm pretty sure Geno's probably gonna net the last DLC spot though. If he doesn't, then we can ask these questions in earnest. I'm just speculating, is all.
I don't think Geno has as much popularity as, say, Banjo-Kazooie, but the fervent demand for the character hasn't really ceased in the decade+ since Brawl's hype cycle. That has to mean something.

If Geno misses out the answer is obvious; he's just another Mario cult character like Lady Bow, Vivian and Fawful and we're just enthusiasts pulling for him. If he gets in, though, I think that's proof he hit a bunch of the right notes to amass such a devoted fanbase, especially one including Sakurai himself.

Tansut and the Mii costume theory are two big black marks against Geno at the moment, but for all we know his source missed out on Geno, or he's not being treated as a Square character. We won't know till Hero's assortment of Mii costumes come out.

And again I want to stress this, if all we get is the Mii costume then I still think that's a testament to Geno's enduring popularity. It took Japan's most beloved RPG series to stop one character from a mid-90s Mario spinoff.

Firox

Smash Master

Returning Mii Costumes

That being said…

WALL = GONE!

WALL = GONE!

YOU STILL HAVE A VOICE!

Now…

WHO’S WITH ME?!
**** it! LET'S DO THIS!!!! I'm a writer, so a story will be told! Everyone, shoot me some ideas that you think would make for a good sequel to SMRPG! I'll take whichever ones are the most juicy and see what I can whip up!

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
https://i.imgtc.ws/UmR3KdU.jpg

Just for my fellow Geno fans, while I think it's pretty unlikely that Geno will be in the Fighter Pass, maybe, just maybe they would end up as a final bonus fighter!

I was trying to get the image to work on here, but it refuses to. You'll just have to use the link instead.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
https://i.imgtc.ws/01BitdR.jpg

Just for my fellow Geno fans, while I think it's pretty unlikely that Geno will be in the Fighter Pass, maybe, just maybe they would end up as a final bonus fighter!

I was trying to get the image to work on here, but it refuses to. You'll just have to use the link instead.
Oh god, he sticks out so much - you should've gone with the Smashified design. :laugh:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Oh god, he sticks out so much - you should've gone with the Smashified design. :laugh:
https://i.imgtc.ws/UmR3KdU.jpg

There, the Smashified design. Also, put in the original post!

Would be a beautiful ending but I'm not gonna get my hopes up for such a thing, seeing as we have no reason to believe that'll happen.
You're probably right, unfortunately. I think we'll get DOOM and Resident Evil to represent shooters and survival horror, but it would be nice to see Geno, another fan favorite at the end.

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
As far as Capcom reps go I think Resident Evil and Phoenix Wright are the two franchises that would be the most interesting and the most likely.
Yup, especially if each alt is a different character from the RE games like how they did with Dragon Quest.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I have been hyping about Banjo and Kazooie that I haven't been here in soooo long! We cannot back down yet GenoBros and GenoGals.

Also y'all past 1000 pages?! Hot dang! One thing I thought about, if The Hero is coming out in the summer, why not release him after the direct? He looks pretty far in to being done, if not ready to go.

I am pretty sure it has been posted, but what if Geno is announced as a Solo fighter along with The Hero's release?

I don't think it is to far out of the question for this to be possible. We got a really nice E3 presentation with The Hero to open and Banjo-Kazooie towards the end. When they do The Hero's moveset video, I BET they will have a little surprise for us.

Which would be Geno announced as a Special DLC fighter OUTSIDE of the Fighter's Pass.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
**** it! LET'S DO THIS!!!! I'm a writer, so a story will be told! Everyone, shoot me some ideas that you think would make for a good sequel to SMRPG! I'll take whichever ones are the most juicy and see what I can whip up!
Definitely something that would surround Geno and his past, as well as whatever else would come with expanding his personality. Tying the return of Smithy and/or something with Culex and Vanda would be awesome, too.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Plot points - Mallow has the Geno Doll after the events of the first SMRPG. Could be as a reminder of an old friend.
- Geno is among the stars. A new threat comes to the Mushroom Kingdom. Geno knows what the threat is, but is trapped. Not able to return to his doll form.
- New Threat could be Smithy or the Entity that MADE Smithy.

Just some ideas that come to mind.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hecking no. SMRPG pioneered the Timed Hit mechanic of the Mario RPG series. If anything I want them to expand on it.
Yeah, that is what I would want as well. Polish everything that was in the original and perhaps add in a few things depending on how the remake is pacing wise.

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
For me I got Ridley, King K Rool, and now Banjo-Kazooie - all theres left is Geno. Im hoping Sakurai will complete the list also congratulations on 1000 posts Geno bros!
It will happen. Do NOT give up. Geno will complete this roster.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Anyone able to translate this? According to a thread on 4chan it called the Dragon Quest Hero not having female alts and says there will be a fighting game character in Smash.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well last time the Ridley thread almost got to 2000 pages before it was closed prematurely, about a year before the others. It was truly a monster, in every sense. :p

Still, rarified company, congrats!
I didn't know that. I know the mods closed Ridley's support thread sometime after he was deconfirmed as a stage hazard back in Smash 4 if I'm correct?

Also, I remember looking through the archives on this site and seeing that the guy who ran the Brawl Krystal thread moved the thread and restarted it because the original thread was having some issues. Plus he said the original Brawl Krystal thread at it's height passed 650+ pages, is that true? I think you were on this site when he was still around, so do you know?

So for real guys..
Geno doesn't need anymore calls. The demand is/was loud and clear, if it's going to happen then it's going to.
We need a higher push for the Mystical Ninja/ Goemon. A character that'll enrich Smash and truly deserves a spot. If you happen to be under Nintendo's nose make a mention of the Mystical Ninja. It'll help our boi.
Thanks.
You know I'm one of the strongest Goemon supporters out there too, but it isn't cool to tell people to ditch their character just so they can follow your own.

It will happen. Do NOT give up. Geno will complete this roster.
To you it will, to others it won't. You try to ask everybody that question on what characters left that would complete the roster and almost everytime you would hear a different response. That subject is pretty much a matter of opinion whether than fact.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Anyone able to translate this? According to a thread on 4chan it called the Dragon Quest Hero not having female alts and says there will be a fighting game character in Smash.
I am a future person.

images aren't wanting to show up right now huh. I can't even upload any.

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I sure am glad Geno is still being supported so much after all this time, but I better get my faith and energy back up for Isaac as well despite him suffering the dreaded AT treatment..... I sure hope AT promotions could come potentially in a fighters pass season 2 if we get one.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline

Returning Mii Costumes

That being said…

WALL = GONE!

WALL = GONE!

YOU STILL HAVE A VOICE!

Now…

WHO’S WITH ME?!
Well said, I'm with you!

Talazar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Talazar_Dashie
3DS FC
1461-6194-5821
Dropping by from the Banjo thread, even though I don't have any more wanted characters I wish you guys the best of luck and hope you Genobros get your chance. Keep making noise and don't let anyone silence you.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Dropping by from the Banjo thread, even though I don't have any more wanted characters I wish you guys the best of luck and hope you Genobros get your chance. Keep making noise and don't let anyone silence you.
Fellow Banjo pal! Thank you!! The beloved duo making their rare return gives me a lot of optimism for Geno's future. I'm so happy they made it back, and hopefully, I'll get to experience that joy over Geno's revival one day!

Pokemaster73

Smash Cadet
Darn, I missed the 1000th page. We're all gonna make it one day, boys, so long as we keep making noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom