• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I went on Twitter and encountered this awesome artwork of Geno, so I thought I'd share it with you all. Whoever made this is amazing and a genius.

I guess it's Super Tengen Toppa Geno Lagann.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
We need to keep the posts going on this. It would be so awesome to get to 40,000 posts before E3

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I hate the artichokes in SMRPG but I like artichokes in real life.

I too am wondering why this suddenly entered my mind.

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone here thought of why Square is being restrictive with the FF stuff? Maybe they're doing this because Geno is in and all Sakurai wanted to really rep Super Mario RPG but Square wouldn't allow that much content from both FF and SMRPG. Sakurai has also stated his extreme interest in Geno for Smash, and most of this cast is only in because he or someone in his family wanted that character in(Snake was wanted by his son)

osby

Smash Obsessed
Has anyone here thought of why Square is being restrictive with the FF stuff? Maybe they're doing this because Geno is in and all Sakurai wanted to really rep Super Mario RPG but Square wouldn't allow that much content from both FF and SMRPG. Sakurai has also stated his extreme interest in Geno for Smash, and most of this cast is only in because he or someone in his family wanted that character in(Snake was wanted by his son)
I don't think your first theory holds any water. SMRPG only had one Mii costume in the last game and Final Fantasy still got the same amount of content. Also there's no reason for SE to limit the amount of material they gave to Smash. It's likely just plain royalty prices being high and Nintendo being cheap.

Also, your second point is plain incorrect, Snake was a request from Hideo Kojima, not from Sakurai's non-existent son.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
E3 is closing in, new theories and rumors are spreading in the speculation community like wildfire, and now more than ever am I excited to see whose next in line to join the battle in smash! This here is a love letter to the smash community as I am hoping we get to see any of these characters get in through future DLC.
smash bros auditions! Fixed.jpg
Bring on the surprises Sakurai! I am READY!

D

Deleted member

Hey guys! It's been a bit! What do we think of the Mario Maker 2 Direct for tomorrow, and has anything new happen?
Welcome back man. Personally I'm not too interested in the direct, but it may have some interesting stuff.

Nothing really new happened, but SMRPG's anniversary was on Monday!

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't think your first theory holds any water. SMRPG only had one Mii costume in the last game and Final Fantasy still got the same amount of content. Also there's no reason for SE to limit the amount of material they gave to Smash. It's likely just plain royalty prices being high and Nintendo being cheap.

Also, your second point is plain incorrect, Snake was a request from Hideo Kojima, not from Sakurai's non-existent son.
Welllll, you got it a bit off with Snake. It's Kojima's son that wanted Snake in in the first place. During Brawl, at least. It wasn't make clear during Melee's development if Kojima's son was the reason Kojima asked Sakurai to put Snake in the Gamecube game at all. We don't have context for that. A big reason why Sakurai was so keen to add him in Brawl was due to it also being a family request overall, not just Kojima alone. He actually said no at first but then changed his mind a bit later(during Brawl in both the no-yes situation, to clarify).

I don't think Nintendo is really being too cheap. They're just being reasonable. The high price on some of FF content is beyond absurd. Not even Square-Enix was willing to spend that much money for some FF music for their own games at times, because the composer just charges an arm and a leg at this point. It's just outright royalty prices being too high at best. Though it's hard to say why we have a lack of other FF content, though. We don't know the details behind who is being paid for usage of the images(Spirits) alone. It could just be regular SE, or it could be the actual character designer as well, who might be charging quite a lot of cash too. With little information on SE's policies, we can't really say Nintendo is being too cheap at all. We only know the music factor, and that's just too damn high of a price.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I went on Twitter and encountered this awesome artwork of Geno, so I thought I'd share it with you all. Whoever made this is amazing and a genius.

Geno's true form.

But wait... didn't Kojima ask Sakurai if he could put Snake in Smash because his son wanted him in? Not Sakurai's son, but Kojima's son.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Since we're approaching E3, I'm still hoping for a Wario Land Switch announcement. Probably won't happen, but if it did, I'd scream.

Firox

Smash Master

"Don't believe in the Geno that I believe in. Or the me that you believe in. Believe in the Geno that believes in you!!!"

lol So nonsensical, but damn, I just love it.

"Just who the hell do you think I am!?" -Geno

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Since we're approaching E3, I'm still hoping for a Wario Land Switch announcement. Probably won't happen, but if it did, I'd scream.
If anything Wario, it will be Warioware. We haven't had a Wario Land game since Shake It! Which was almost 11 years ago. But I massively prefer the Wario Land games over the Warioware games and I would love to see a new game get announced for that brunch in the Wario series. But I have very low expectations on us getting a new Wario Land game because of us not receiving one for 11 years.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Hey guys! I'm set to stream more SMRPG in just under an hour at 12PM CST. This means:
  • 1 PM for EST
  • 11 AM for MDT
  • 10 AM for MST and PST
  • 9 AM for ADT
  • 7 AM for H-AST
I will also be live-reacting to the Super Mario Maker 2 Direct that will start around 5 PM CST. Once again, this mean:
  • 6 PM for EST
  • 4 PM for MDT
  • 3 PM for MST and PST
  • 2PM for ADT
  • 12PM for H-AST
If you have any SMRPG fanart of your own or of someone else who's permission you have to share, PM me the artwork or post it here with the proper handle (URL, Twitter, DevianArt, Tumblr) and I'll try to add it in before the stream. I appreciate anyone who joins me on either Twitch or YouTube, and anyone who is on Twitch and shows up actually has a good chance of making me A Twitch Affiliate. The more the merrier!

https://www.twitch.tv/forsakenm
https://www.youtube.com/user/ForsakenMemories45

EDIT: We are now live, feel free do join our buddy @Zack E. so he's not the only one in chat! ;)

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I heard a rumor somewhere that kojima made twin snakes just so that snake would have a presence on a nintendo console, and would have a precedent for getting into smash.

Firox

Smash Master
Hey guys! I'm set to stream more SMRPG in just under an hour at 12PM CST. This means:
  • 1 PM for EST
  • 11 AM for MDT
  • 10 AM for MST and PST
  • 9 AM for ADT
  • 7 AM for H-AST
I will also be live-reacting to the Super Mario Maker 2 Direct that will start around 5 PM CST. Once again, this mean:
  • 6 PM for EST
  • 4 PM for MDT
  • 3 PM for MST and PST
  • 2PM for ADT
  • 12PM for H-AST
If you have any SMRPG fanart of your own or of someone else who's permission you have to share, PM me the artwork or post it here with the proper handle (URL, Twitter, DevianArt, Tumblr) and I'll try to add it in before the stream. I appreciate anyone who joins me on either Twitch or YouTube, and anyone who is on Twitch and shows up actually has a good chance of making me A Twitch Affiliate. The more the merrier!

https://www.twitch.tv/forsakenm
https://www.youtube.com/user/ForsakenMemories45

EDIT: We are now live, feel free do join our buddy @Zack E. so he's not the only one in chat! ;)
Wish I could get in on this, but alas, the day job.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So for those interested, I'm about to take on the Axem Rangers!

Also, we have less than an hour before the Super Mario Maker 2 Direct, so feel free to stop on by!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The MM2 direct did not disappoint... for the most part. They haven't said anything about costumes being a returning feature, though. I hope it's something they're saving for E3, maybe because of the kind of costumes we might be getting?

ZelDan

Smash Master
Was kinda hoping we'd see more new game themes beyond 3D World and Koopalings. Still alot of cool stuff though.

I can't wait to see how people use all the new tools and features to troll others! :4pacman:

-You Need Nintendo Switch Online to download levels

Welp, half the game's inaccessible to me now. :( Look, I was expecting NSO to be a requirement to upload levels, and that would have been tough, but fair, but in ADDITION to that, you have to pay extra to even download levels in the first place? Okay, that's horse****. That's like, a portion of your userbase gone. News flash: Not everyone is financially secure enough in life to pay extra for online for games they already brought, especiall if the online sucks ass. That kills so much exicitement for me off the bat.

And unless I missed something, Luigi and the other non-Mario playables seem to only be available in multi player. I'm hoping that this isn't true, and they just didn't elaborate or something. But IF it's true.... Seriously? What was the ****ing thought process behind that? "Let's add some more characters like people suggested, but make them unusable in single player, where most people would have probably used them? GENIUS!" And water is apparently much more limited than we thought (it's only available in the jungle theme, judging from the lady's "And in this course theme." Like, dude. I was so ready to make levels with small little water pools.

Everything else did look good, though (even if they spent too much ****ing time recapping things we already knew was gonna be in the game). Especially things like alternative clear conditions and the day/night toggle. Best parts of the entire direct. (SMBX 2.0 is still gonna be king of Mario level editors, though, but it's nice Nintendo has a mostly really solid, official alternative this time around. Except I won't be able to play half of it because of their ****ty online services, but you know I've still got the option. (Yes, I REALLY hate NSO. Switch Online is nothing but a disgusting, scummy cashgrab. Making you pay for **** that was once free is NEVER acceptable, and I'll always crucify it to the end of my days (especially when I'm living off ****ty temporary jobs for the time being).

EDIT: Just as a TLDR, I did like everything in the trailer (except for the things I listed here) and the game does look great and has potential to grow further, suprise us more and have a long DLC cycle to boot, but the ****ing NSO and extra characters being potentially unsuable in single player kill off so much of my excitement right there.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Can we talk about Toadette's Super Mario World sprite? I think it's super cute.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Damn, MM2 looking like a must buy. Did not expect so much new content, especially the story mode.

-You Need Nintendo Switch Online to download levels

Welp, half the game's inaccessible to me now. :( Look, I was expecting NSO to be a requirement to upload levels, and that would have been tough, but fair, but in ADDITION to that, you have to pay extra to even download levels in the first place? Okay, that's horse****. That's like, a portion of your userbase gone. News flash: Not everyone is financially secure enough in life to pay extra for online for games they already brought, especiall if the online sucks ***. That kills so much exicitement for me off the bat.

And unless I missed something, Luigi and the other non-Mario playables seem to only be available in multi player. I'm hoping that this isn't true, and they just didn't elaborate or something. But IF it's true.... Seriously? What was the ****ing thought process behind that? "Let's add some more characters like people suggested, but make them unusable in single player, where most people would have probably used them? GENIUS!" And water is apparently much more limited than we thought (it's only available in the jungle theme, judging from the lady's "And in this course theme." Like, dude. I was so ready to make levels with small little water pools.

Everything else did look good, though (even if they spent too much ****ing time recapping things we already knew was gonna be in the game). Especially things like alternative clear conditions and the day/night toggle. Best parts of the entire direct. (SMBX 2.0 is still gonna be king of Mario level editors, though, but it's nice Nintendo has a mostly really solid, official alternative this time around. Except I won't be able to play half of it because of their ****ty online services, but you know I've still got the option. (Yes, I REALLY hate NSO. Switch Online is nothing but a disgusting, scummy cashgrab. Making you pay for **** that was once free is NEVER acceptable, and I'll always crucify it to the end of my days (especially when I'm living off ****ty temporary jobs for the time being)
Let me get this straight: you're surprised that you need online access to download levels from the internet?

Damn, MM2 looking like a must buy. Did not expect so much new content, especially the story mode.

Let me get this straight: you're surprised that you need online access to download levels from the internet?
I'm surprised they're forcing me to ****ing pay extra for said online acess when I already paid plenty of money for the game, and especially when they never did this with their online before, and especially when it's as bad as it is. It's the same online we've gotten for years. From the DS to the 3Ds to the Wii and Wii U, and it's hardly improved at all, and they STILL want you to pay extra per year for the same **** with almost no improvements/enhancements. It's never not gonna be a ****ty practice, and I sure as hell ain't gonna be pleased to pay extra for something as basic as downloading levels in a game I already PAID FOR when I barely have any money as it is. Could have spent that money on an indie game or some lunch, but nope, I have to use it just to access half of a game I already purchased because it hinges on a feature that they used to offer for free year after year with no added improvements to make up for it.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
unfortunately I expected a lot of what they did in mm2 as far as online went. I'm not sure if I will get it at this point.

SO really MM2 as well as me continuing playing smash online, will hinge on if Geno or banjo(hopefully both) get's revealed in ultimate. If neither happens, then I simply will not sign back up at all. I've got a decent gaming pc now, and I've still got smash4, on top of other hobbies to keep my interest. If nintendo is gonna keep screwing fans over with this terrible switch online service, they're gonna continue losing people on it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's an awesome Boshi pic. He really should be featured more along with Mallow and Geno.

They're the SMRPG trio that need to be in more games.

Last edited by a moderator:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
It is strange that the Nimbus people did not catch on in the Mario Universe. I guess Nintendo probably thought explaining why Lakitu clouds looked like dismembered heads of these people would be odd but still, I liked the idea of Mallow and the type of species they were.

Still finishing up a few things with the WIP site. Much appreciate ForsakenM ForsakenM for inspiring me to revamp the layout. I just need to reorganize my CSS and I think we will have something great!

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
The high price on some of FF content is beyond absurd. Not even Square-Enix was willing to spend that much money for some FF music for their own games at times, because the composer just charges an arm and a leg at this point. It's just outright royalty prices being too high at best.
Thanks for stating this. I really wish people would understand this more. I don't like Square, but I really don't like it when one is falsely blamed for something they didn't do. When people say it's Square's decision for giving us two soundtracks, it's not them at all, it's all Mr. Uematsu's decision. He left Square in 2004 and owns those tracks, and they're still expensive for Square. Mr. Uematsu did compose the main theme for Brawl back in 2008, so I wonder why he has a difficult time with letting Sakurai and Nintendo use his soundtracks, unless it's expensive which is understandable and probably the case. Pretty cool how Mr. Uematsu actually composed Brawl's main theme, huh? I hope he composes a main theme again for a future Smash Brothers game, or maybe even composes new soundtracks for a new Smash Brothers game.
SO really MM2 as well as me continuing playing smash online, will hinge on if Geno or banjo(hopefully both) get's revealed in ultimate. If neither happens, then I simply will not sign back up at all. I've got a decent gaming pc now, and I've still got smash4, on top of other hobbies to keep my interest.
I'm actually expecting only one reveal to be honest, but I hope we get to see some new 8-bit character forms in Mario Maker 2.

If nintendo is gonna keep screwing fans over with this terrible switch online service, they're gonna continue losing people on it.
Nintendo screwed me over two months ago. I paid for a three month membership back in December and after my three month membership expired, I was charged for a renewal automatically, which is not what I wanted. I forgot to turn the stupid automatic renewal off. I was so pissed! I turned it off, that way it never does it again against my behalf.
That's an awesome Boshi pic. He really should be featured more along with Mallow and Geno.

They're the SMRPG trio that need to be in more games.
I think all of the SMRPG characters should be featured more! I can see Jonathan Jones in a Mario baseball spin-off using his trident as a bat.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Maker 2 certainly looks cool, but if Nintendo's still gonna be deleting levels just for not being popular enough, that's probably gonna be a deal-breaker for me. It already killed my motivation to make levels in Maker 1, having my only level taken down solely because it didn't satisfy some arbitrary star quota, and I am NOT willing to put up with that **** again, especially now that we have to pay extra just to be able to upload them.
Still, Maker 2 seems like it's worth the price so far. Maker 1 kind of rubbed me the wrong way, considering it's basically a watered-down version of what SMBX has been for nearly a decade now with a $60 pricetag slapped on it - I'm almost ashamed I got roped into buying that thing, to be honest. Maker 2 definitely seems a lot more expansive by comparison, though the seemingly still subpar search function is giving me some nervous vibes already. (They spent like, three minutes outlining the new tags system, yet we didn't see a hint of a basic keyword search function? C'mon...) I'm definitely gonna wait and see on this one.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
It already killed my motivation to make levels in Maker 1, having my only level taken down solely because it didn't satisfy some arbitrary star quota, and I am NOT willing to put up with that **** again.
Wait, they actually took down levels? Wow, that's harsh of them to do that. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom