• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This, which is what has annoyed me the most when I've suggested Brave might not be Erdrick and have had people jump all over me for it. Current intel still says that Erdrick's very likely, but literally nothing says he's Brave or even the Second Fighter pass. It's like the "Square Enix" thing. People swore up and down that it would be the first because of all the information we had but, lo and behold, it's been 7 months and still nothing. For all we know Erdrick could be last because Nintendo has obviously been holding on to this card longer than we as fans waited for the base game.
After Geno, who would be your 2nd most wanted?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The unfortunate thing with Ultimate's DLC is that Sakurai can only do as much as he's allowed. Nintendo is willing to bend a little for him, given his importance to the company, but if they say no more DLC, they mean no more DLC. If Sakurai asks to do more to push Ultimate to the limit, if Nintendo says no, then that's that.

Even if Sakurai wants to do as much as he can (and I am so grateful for his efforts), it doesn't mean jack if Nintendo says no.

D

Deleted member

The unfortunate thing with Ultimate's DLC is that Sakurai can only do as much as he's allowed. Nintendo is willing to bend a little for him, given his importance to the company, but if they say no more DLC, they mean no more DLC. If Sakurai asks to do more to push Ultimate to the limit, if Nintendo says no, then that's that.

Even if Sakurai wants to do as much as he can (and I am so grateful for his efforts), it doesn't mean jack if Nintendo says no.
TBH I feel like it would be the opposite, Sakurai really wants a break but I could see Nintendo wanting to milk this game for all it's worth.

Honestly, if Sakurai does need a break, I could actually see them getting some other random character designer to work on the remaining characters.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

That's what I'm afraid of.

TBH I feel like it would be the opposite, Sakurai really wants a break but I could see Nintendo wanting to milk this game for all it's worth.

Honestly, if Sakurai does need a break, I could actually see them getting some other random character designer to work on the remaining characters.
I can't picture Sakurai abandoning work on a title he directed. He's definitely staying until all the DLC is released and finished. But he definitely should retire after Ultimate.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace

I agree but I think Sakurai's break will mean they don't do more DLC, not bring in someone else.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I am convinced the more time passes before a Square Enix rep reveal, the more one isn't happening. Square isn't a company that has leaks that are known this far in advanced, the longer we go?

The more I'm convinced there's no Erdrick. No nothing.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I am convinced the more time passes before a Square Enix rep reveal, the more one isn't happening. Square isn't a company that has leaks that are known this far in advanced, the longer we go?

I can't be sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got nothing else out of Square either, honestly. They're just... oof.

(Okay, real reason for this post is, oh man, my art is your icon now!! I'm super flattered!)

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I mean for starters, Waluigi is in the game as an assist trophy.
Yeah, but not a fighter. Notice the correlation there?
There's also Mario Kart stages and Mario spinoff music from golf, party, tennis, you name it.
Spin-offs of series getting representation in Smash are nothing new. However, playable characters exclusively in a spin-off has never happened before unless said spin-off has grown into its own big thing akin to Persona.

Since Mario has tapped into its bottom of the barrel for characters, even putting Bowser Jr in, the question is could Waluigi be the first spinoff character in Smash Bros?
Depends on how much they've got left to exhaust. Even now, they've still got contenders like Pauline who's been in mainline stuff now. If say, by the next Smash and so on they have more "Rosalina cases", then it may take a while for them to truly exhaust all options.
Given how the only real popular choice now for Mario is either Geno or Toad, Waluigi's chances are now fairly reasonable.
You're free to see it that way. But suggesting he's a lock? Ehhhh, not that much of a chance unless he gets into the mainstream series.

I always keep the notion that we're not getting an SE DLC pack in mind, just in case it'll come in handy.

Last edited:

HMpoweredMan

Smash Cadet
This, which is what has annoyed me the most when I've suggested Brave might not be Erdrick and have had people jump all over me for it. Current intel still says that Erdrick's very likely, but literally nothing says he's Brave or even the Second Fighter pass. It's like the "Square Enix" thing. People swore up and down that it would be the first because of all the information we had but, lo and behold, it's been 7 months and still nothing. For all we know Erdrick could be last because Nintendo has obviously been holding on to this card longer than we as fans waited for the base game.
Whatever happened to you taking a break from all this?

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
This is all so weird to me. We've never had a DLC character leaked, with the exceptions being literal days before their reveal or when Nintendo left Roy/Ryu behind in the data by accident.

Although I still fully expect Erdrick to come at some point during this first wave, it's almost unimaginable that both fans and news outlets have been openly talking about him for well over 6 months at this point and have that actually come to fruition. Nothing like that has ever happened in smash (DLC) speculation history. By the time he's actually released, it will have been almost a full year of people openly throwing his name around. All I know is we've never gotten a single DLC character that was so commonly agreed upon by insiders this far in advance and nintendo usually BTFOs everyone with these reveals. An Erdrick reveal would be totally the opposite of that at this point.

Like I said, I still think he's more likely to be in than not, but I can't help but wonder what the hell is actually going on.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I can't be sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got nothing else out of Square either, honestly. They're just... oof.

(Okay, real reason for this post is, oh man, my art is your icon now!! I'm super flattered!)
Awww. It's great artwork! It's super adorable and one of the main reasons I support Geno coming back to the limelight. I really want to see a friendship between Rosalina and Geno.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Awww. It's great artwork! It's super adorable and one of the main reasons I support Geno coming back to the limelight. I really want to see a friendship between Rosalina and Geno.
Aw, thank you so much! Honestly, I'd love to see them gain some kind of friendship or partnership, maybe even some implicated familial relationship. It'd just be so... so perfect.

D

Deleted member

This is all so weird to me. We've never had a DLC character leaked, with the exceptions being literal days before their reveal or when Nintendo left Roy/Ryu behind in the data by accident.

Although I still fully expect Erdrick to come at some point during this first wave, it's almost unimaginable that both fans and news outlets have been openly talking about him for well over 6 months at this point and have that actually come to fruition. Nothing like that has ever happened in smash (DLC) speculation history. By the time he's actually released, it will have been almost a full year of people openly throwing his name around. All I know is we've never gotten a single DLC character that was so commonly agreed upon by insiders this far in advance and nintendo usually BTFOs everyone with these reveals. An Erdrick reveal would be totally the opposite of that at this point.

Like I said, I still think he's more likely to be in than not, but I can't help but wonder what the hell is actually going on.
And to add to this, it would be a Square Enix character, a company we know uses leak bait

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
And to add to this, it would be a Square Enix character, a company we know uses leak bait
While I'm still on the fence about leak bait, I think if they did use leak bait then that would mean it's Slime. I know when you're using leak bait you're setting up fans of that character for disappointment either way but trying to use a very beloved series in Japan as leak bait then dropping Geno/Sephiroth/Sora would seem like a pretty risky play. On the other side if you use a character from the same series you're going to be using as leak bait at least the fans of said series who who were excited about the leak bait will get someone from the same series. Plus it has the added benefit of raising awareness of the series before you drop the trailer so people actually know who Slime is without ruining the surprise.

Being manic-depressive + seeing the fall out from my rant when I was at a low last month + having a job where I'm lucky to be busy half my shift.
Yeah I keep thinking I should spend less time on Smash Boards but then I get bored at work and I'm right back here lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

While I'm still on the fence about leak bait, I think if they did use leak bait then that would mean it's Slime. I know when you're using leak bait you're setting up fans of that character for disappointment either way but trying to use a very beloved series in Japan as leak bait then dropping Geno/Sephiroth/Sora would seem like a pretty risky play. On the other side if you use a character from the same series you're going to be using as leak bait at least the fans of said series who who were excited about the leak bait will get someone from the same series. Plus it has the added benefit of raising awareness of the series before you drop the trailer so people actually know who Slime is without ruining the surprise.

Yeah I keep thinking I should spend less time on Smash Boards but then I get bored at work and I'm right back here lol.
I mean, Geno is also very beloved in the Smash community, plus, the creator of the game said he likes the character, tried to put him in Smash, and knows he gets a lot of requests

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I mean, Geno is also very beloved in the Smash community, plus, the creator of the game said he likes the character, tried to put him in Smash, and knows he gets a lot of requests
It has nothing to do with the character being a fan favorite or not, its about not pissing off fans of one of the biggest series in Japan. If Erdrick is truly being used as leak bait the only way I see that happening would be if they were still planning to use a Dragon Quest character, either Slime or the Builder or someone else, so as to avoid getting their hopes up and crushing them.

EDIT: I'll add to clarify, if they decided to use leak bait it would have been after they already knew who the DLC would be so they selected the leak bait around the DLC. In theory if this was the case then if Geno was the character and they wanted to do the same thing they would leak that Mallow was going to be the DLC. This way any fans of Super Mario RPG are still happy when it doesn't end up being Mallow and is instead Geno.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It has nothing to do with the character being a fan favorite or not, its about not pissing off fans of one of the biggest series in Japan. If Erdrick is truly being used as leak bait the only way I see that happening would be if they were still planning to use a Dragon Quest character, either Slime or the Builder or someone else, so as to avoid getting their hopes up and crushing them.
So...you are saying it has nothing to do with a character that the fans love....but that it would make fans of a series angry....wut?

All of the series on the list are very much loved. Sephiroth is popular and one of the most iconic video game villains. Geno is a huge fan favorite character and one of the most requested Smash characters. Sora is another popular request for Smash, and comes from a very popular series. DQ, like you said, is a beloved series in Japan, and one of the most popular in Japan at that. Chrono Trigger is often regarded as the best SNES game, one of the best RPGs, and one of the best games ever overall.

One loved character is going to be used as leak bait one way or the other. And if they are using leak bait, then Erdrick is being used as leakbait

Edit: I think though that it doesn't matter if they are from the same series

Last edited by a moderator:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
So...you are saying it has nothing to do with a character that the fans love....but that it would make fans of a series angry....wut?

All of the series on the list are very much loved. Sephiroth is popular and one of the most iconic video game villains. Geno is a huge fan favorite character and one of the most requested Smash characters. Sora is another popular request for Smash, and comes from a very popular series. DQ, like you said, is a beloved series in Japan, and one of the most popular in Japan at that. Chrono Trigger is often regarded as the best SNES game, one of the best RPGs, and one of the best games ever overall.

One loved character is going to be used as leak bait one way or the other. And if they are using leak bait, then Erdrick is being used as leakbait

Edit: I think though that it doesn't matter if they are from the same series
This is more concerning the fact that Erdrick is coming up everywhere, not necessarily the list. I have no idea about the list but since it's only come up once (as far as I know) I find that hard to believe that's their leak bait attempt. But then again I'm still not convinced there is necessarily leak bait at all.

That said I have no idea what the list could be either. Whole thing seems weird lol.

D

Deleted member

This is more concerning the fact that Erdrick is coming up everywhere, not necessarily the list. I have no idea about the list but since it's only come up once (as far as I know) I find that hard to believe that's their leak bait attempt. But then again I'm still not convinced there is necessarily leak bait at all.

That said I have no idea what the list could be either. Whole thing seems weird lol.
That list is weird, because a lot of people are saying that Square Enix made a list of characters and leaked it out, but I thought it was just a compiling of the names Verge heard from numerous sources for the Square Enix rep

Last edited by a moderator:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Hopefully at a Nindies direct we get either Cuphead or What Remains of Edith Finch on Switch. A preview of Hornet DLC in Hollow Knight would also be appreciated.

The Stanley Parable on the Switch would also be awesome, since the Ultra Deluxe version is coming out.

I'd also like to see an indie character in Smash, particularly Hollow Knight.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Hopefully at a Nindies direct we get either Cuphead or What Remains of Edith Finch on Switch. A preview of Hornet DLC in Hollow Knight would also be appreciated.

The Stanley Parable on the Switch would also be awesome, since the Ultra Deluxe version is coming out.

I thought Microsoft funded some of Cuphead? I might be way off on that, but I thought they did...

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Admittedly I am at the point I don't really ... "care" ... what leakers say about who or who is not going to be DLC. I am now more curious about Nintendo Direct leaks, at least the timing of them. Take the whole Joker situation. That came out of nowhere ... no real rumors, discussion, completely under the radar, etc. But here we are.

Now looking at the leaker discussion for the past weeks, everyone and their mother is saying its Eldrick. Wait, wasn't the Square rep supposed to be the first one and everyone was saying that too? Hmmm.

No one knows this, I just want to know when directs are now.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
I thought Microsoft funded some of Cuphead? I might be way off on that, but I thought they did...
Very minimally and they don't have rights to the game anyway. Studio MDHR is the one that developed and published the game.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

All Master Hand has to do is take Hollow Knight into the serious room.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
My thoughts on Erdrick haven't changed too radically in the past couple of weeks: I think they were planning to release Erdrick ala Corrin either on base or the first DLC and when Western gamers for the most part asked "WTF is this guy" they would have said "ha ha, glad you asked; he's from Dragon Quest and Dragon Quest XI is totally available on the Switch now, y'all" but the game got caught in Development Limbo and the promotional plan was derailed. Now they're probably waiting for a more definitive release date on DQ XI S or will just say "**** it" and make him available at a random time after Joker.

D

Deleted member

Imo if leakbait is being used, either Geno or Sora is DLC, maybe even both, since they were told to Verge as leabait and not in the game respectively

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The thing with Geno on the list is that he's a massive outlier in multiple ways:

1) He's a hot mess of legality, being from a 1st party series, yet being owned by a 3rd party.
2) Verge was told he was leakbait, but that his source thought so for personal reasons they would not disclose.
3) 'Don't take him too seriously,' was what his source said to him to 'let him down easy' that this Square rep in particular isn't Geno.

The only other outlier on the list is Sora, who he says 'definitely isn't in', compared to Geno's being phrased as, 'it isn't Geno,' it being this particular rep. What fascinates me are those last two points.

The fact of Square using Geno as leakbait or as some other sort of distraction shows that they know that he is a fan favorite. They know that he is in demand, which is incredibly fascinating to me. This is a step up from Square likely not knowing what the consensus on Geno was, let alone not caring about him for being a 20+ year old character from one game. This, the spirit, and the prior game's (and maybe this one's) Mii costume are indicative that they're willing to use him, as well, even if only to a certain extent. It's a large leap up from before, and even if Sakurai tried his best to pull some strings, if there was no desire to ever use Geno again, they easily could have made their stance a firm 'no', yet they haven't. They've allowed it, and that's a big step forward.

However, what gets me is the vagueness of Verge's source. I can't say I'm sure why they'd let Verge down 'easy' that this rep isn't Geno when, from the looks of it, he notably seems disgruntled against Geno and his fanbase. It might just be an outward appearance-type thing and Verge's opinion is different than I thought. They sound insanely certain about Sora, the other five on the list are in limbo, and Geno is noted with a strange amount of hesitance. It makes me wonder if the source knows more than they're leading on about Geno, whether or not it's as this Square rep, yet they have to keep it under a tight lid because of how secret it is. After all, the lesser amount of people who know the info, the easier it is for Square to find out who's leaking stuff out.

For everyone else to have a straight answer of being names heard or outright deconfirmed versus the weird state of ambiguity Geno is in, it makes me wonder if Square has plans for him yet. Is it just the Mii costume? It could very well be. Is it more? Perhaps. However, we just don't know. Thinking of this in conjunction with the NoA rumor about Geno, though, is interesting. These came from Polar's source's supervisors. That info comes from higher ranks in Nintendo, not just small-name employees spreading stuff without a basis. It makes me wonder why that rumor began to spread in the first place, and what planted that seed. Is it just assumption? Could be. Supervisors are more careful with their information, I'm sure, but they aren't infallible. Could it be because of a glimpse of what seems to be material for Geno, when it's actually the Mii costume being ported? Could be that, too. Could it be because he's being planned for some other, miscellaneous DLC? Maybe. Could it be because there's something planned for him outside of Smash? Maybe.

It's all just a big load of question marks, and for all we know, the fruit of it will be little to nothing... or something big. The net is cast wide for Geno's fate in the recent future, with a lot of chances for it to be a bunch of nothing and quite a few for it to be something substantial. It's a hot mess, and I can't say if it makes me hopeful or just baffled at the entire situation. Maybe both?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
My thoughts on Erdrick haven't changed too radically in the past couple of weeks: I think they were planning to release Erdrick ala Corrin either on base or the first DLC and when Western gamers for the most part asked "WTF is this guy" they would have said "ha ha, glad you asked; he's from Dragon Quest and Dragon Quest XI is totally available on the Switch now, y'all" but the game got caught in Development Limbo and the promotional plan was derailed. Now they're probably waiting for a more definitive release date on DQ XI S or will just say "**** it" and make him available at a random time after Joker.
Well I like that theory, but I'm surprised by the amount of people that believe it'll really be erdrick.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
The thing with Geno on the list is that he's a massive outlier in multiple ways:

1) He's a hot mess of legality, being from a 1st party series, yet being owned by a 3rd party.
2) Verge was told he was leakbait, but that his source thought so for personal reasons they would not disclose.
3) 'Don't take him too seriously,' was what his source said to him to 'let him down easy' that this Square rep in particular isn't Geno.

The only other outlier on the list is Sora, who he says 'definitely isn't in', compared to Geno's being phrased as, 'it isn't Geno,' it being this particular rep. What fascinates me are those last two points.

The fact of Square using Geno as leakbait or as some other sort of distraction shows that they know that he is a fan favorite. They know that he is in demand, which is incredibly fascinating to me. This is a step up from Square likely not knowing what the consensus on Geno was, let alone not caring about him for being a 20+ year old character from one game. This, the spirit, and the prior game's (and maybe this one's) Mii costume are indicative that they're willing to use him, as well, even if only to a certain extent. It's a large leap up from before, and even if Sakurai tried his best to pull some strings, if there was no desire to ever use Geno again, they easily could have made their stance a firm 'no', yet they haven't. They've allowed it, and that's a big step forward.

However, what gets me is the vagueness of Verge's source. I can't say I'm sure why they'd let Verge down 'easy' that this rep isn't Geno when, from the looks of it, he notably seems disgruntled against Geno and his fanbase. It might just be an outward appearance-type thing and Verge's opinion is different than I thought. They sound insanely certain about Sora, the other five on the list are in limbo, and Geno is noted with a strange amount of hesitance. It makes me wonder if the source knows more than they're leading on about Geno, whether or not it's as this Square rep, yet they have to keep it under a tight lid because of how secret it is. After all, the lesser amount of people who know the info, the easier it is for Square to find out who's leaking stuff out.

For everyone else to have a straight answer of being names heard or outright deconfirmed versus the weird state of ambiguity Geno is in, it makes me wonder if Square has plans for him yet. Is it just the Mii costume? It could very well be. Is it more? Perhaps. However, we just don't know. Thinking of this in conjunction with the NoA rumor about Geno, though, is interesting. These came from Polar's source's supervisors. That info comes from higher ranks in Nintendo, not just small-name employees spreading stuff without a basis. It makes me wonder why that rumor began to spread in the first place, and what planted that seed. Is it just assumption? Could be. Supervisors are more careful with their information, I'm sure, but they aren't infallible. Could it be because of a glimpse of what seems to be material for Geno, when it's actually the Mii costume being ported? Could be that, too. Could it be because he's being planned for some other, miscellaneous DLC? Maybe. Could it be because there's something planned for him outside of Smash? Maybe.

It's all just a big load of question marks, and for all we know, the fruit of it will be little to nothing... or something big. The net is cast wide for Geno's fate in the recent future, with a lot of chances for it to be a bunch of nothing and quite a few for it to be something substantial. It's a hot mess, and I can't say if it makes me hopeful or just baffled at the entire situation. Maybe both?
Your posts like this Give. Me. Life.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

Yo; a Stage IN the Stanley Parable office WITH A NARRATOR WHO TALKS TO YOU.

Please Nintendo.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Your posts like this Give. Me. Life.
Aw, haha. I dunno, I was just thinking about it while I was cleaning house today, so I thought I'd go into some detail and unload my speculative rambles. That being said, I prefer to do so with realism attached, so it's important to note that this could all be a bunch of befuddling nothing. Square, you confuse me so...

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Aw, haha. I dunno, I was just thinking about it while I was cleaning house today, so I thought I'd go into some detail and unload my speculative rambles. That being said, I prefer to do so with realism attached, so it's important to note that this could all be a bunch of befuddling nothing. Square, you confuse me so...
I'm aware we need to stay level-headed. But you're absolutely right: Square isn't making much sense. To use Geno a few times for Smash but not go all-in with a full character is odd. That being said, I think we're getting Erdrick, but I hope we end up getting both of them.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Yeah, at the rate Verge cries wolf, he's going to tempt the universe into proving him wrong. And everyone will have been worried for nothing.

That's what I'm afraid of.

I can't picture Sakurai abandoning work on a title he directed. He's definitely staying until all the DLC is released and finished. But he definitely should retire after Ultimate.
I agree but I think Sakurai's break will mean they don't do more DLC, not bring in someone else.
I honestly have trouble picturing who would be his successor. Kumazaki, who's a total Kirby fanboy? Harada, a Bamco top dog and the Vince Russo of fighting game producers? Koizumi, who is sometimes allowed to shake up the Mario formula for its major entries?

And Eddy is caught in even more legal tangle, so it begs the question. If it was Sora, there'd be no reason at all to delay his trailer when KHIII is going to be released a little over a week.

For all we know, we could end up with Bub. in the end

Yo; a Stage IN the Stanley Parable office WITH A NARRATOR WHO TALKS TO YOU.

Please Nintendo.
This guy gets it.

Basically, yes, so there's an exclusivity deal for the game. BUT Studio MDHR owns the IP itself , so if there is a sequel at some point, odds are that would end up going on multiple platforms.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
People over in the Square thread are already worrying Erdrick won't get in the NEXT smash. God, people can be so ungrateful...

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
People over in the Square thread are already worrying Erdrick won't get in the NEXT smash. God, people can be so ungrateful...
Sheesh... there's counting your chickens before they hatch, and then there's worrying that said unhatched chickens won't make it to adulthood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom