• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xigger

Smash Lord
For a second there, I thought I mistakenly entered the Paper Mario thread.

It's really nice to see discussion on the creators behind the games, it's a brilliant way to understand why games are made a certain way. And to wrap it back around to Geno, it highlights why both the support for him from both fans and Sakurai matter so much. The best way to make predictions is to acknowledge the mentality of the creators, rather than to assume our own rules and assumptions.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yeah, that info basically confirms what I thought about Erdrick, and it helps what my beliefs are when it comes to Geno in the first pass: not happening. I have a little hope for him otherwise, though, and that's what we have to fight for. If not that, then let's fight for a return for him in the main Mario series while we keep his fanbase alive, shall we?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Actually, Miyamoto did convince the idea to Intelligent Systems for abandoning the great things about Paper Mario. An interview source explained what he had said about the Paper Mario genre:
"It's fine without a story, so do we really need one? As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world."
Also, they took a vote on Club Nintendo and all the members on there didn't find Super Paper Mario's story interesting at all, and I bet you none of them were even Paper Mario fans like we were. They probably all regret voting 'no' on that poll now, don't they?
Actually, it asked for "should we have a story in Mario games", not specifying RPG's. He didn't say don't use a story, he suggested to lower it. Again, he only ordered them to use no OC's basically.

That's still ridiculous of Miyamoto to say they cannot use original characters anymore. We saw some old beta footage of Paper Mario 3D, and from the looks of it the characters shown in beta screenshots had classic Mario characters. We had a chain chomp partner and a monty mole king as a boss; I liked the look of it because they went back to using the RPG system with partners, but then they scrapped it, which was a terrible mistake. Honestly, I would've been fine if it all involved Mario characters; as long as it has a good story with RPG mechanics, I would've been fine with it. It's why I'm one of the minority that enjoyed Paper Jam because they brought the old RPG feeling back with Paper Mario.
I agree the want he handled it is poor. I don't like the idea of not using other cool characters. Doesn't really change that they still chose to remove a lot of the story from Sticker Star, as it was a suggestion, though.

I mean, take a look and see for yourself. Their first version of Sticker Star looked amazing. It doesn't even looked like they used stickers for everything in version 1, it looked like it was more unique and had flavor to it. The attacks Mario used were probably permanent instead of limited too, because how in the hell are you supposed to fight without running out of stickers to use? For sure it had to've been permanent moves to keep. And that chain chomp partner looked like a badass, I was sad that they removed the chain chomp for good. I hope they bring that chain chomp partner back in a future Paper Mario game. My guess is they only used stickers for overworld stuff, not while battling.
I won't argue it would've been better if it was more rpg-like. Though that said, I think it just needs at least badges and regular stats(not necessarily MP-type stuff. If they can rework on a resource system again, which I didn't think SS and CS had bad systems for that, cool. Just let you use your main weapons free of charge).

D

Deleted member

Couldn't agree more. The lack of news for a port of that are killing me.

Mainly because I never bought a Wii U...
The WiiU is underrated. I love it. I still play SMRPG, Earthbound, Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, and Mother 1 on it

Last edited by a moderator:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
it's already everywhere on twitter, 4chan, and the european forums i look
If that's enough reason to you, then don't bother to bring this up here since it's already everywhere... It's logical? Because you did, even tho it was already on everywhere.
To be more clear, it's just Because Polar, in the SE Thread, gently asked to stop spreading the information. In the end it's just a petition. You can ignore it from now anyways.

D

Deleted member

Literally nothing has changed. Erdrick has been the front runner for almost a month now based on accounts from virtually all the reliable leakers. We've been over this. Unless it's extreme leakbait, Erdrick was likely for a long time now. No, I don't think it's the inherent end of Geno because there's still three characters that we know nothing about and everything supposedly keeping Geno out is fanmade rules. Only hard decomfirmations are assist trophies, Mii costumes, or Sakurai outright saying they won't be in. That's it. I thought we were past this and the only thing that's different is yet another credible leaker coming forward to support it. Like I've been saying for weeks now, rip this bandage off and focus on the remaining three and possibly beyond.
I am going to quote this post again

Dan

Smash Lord
The only Mario game I prefer over RPG is 64, and that is by a slim margin.

I hope Miyamoto stays away from the story development of the next Paper Mario game. Him interfering with Sticker Star's story development was a big mistake that really disappointed millions. Miyamoto acts like Square sometimes; he doesn't like it when people expand the Mario lore, I don't know why but he just does. When Rare expanded the DK lore, he got really pissed off about it and hated the DK Country series. I'd love to see the X-Nauts return because Lord Crump and a few of them are still alive.

Legendary Spirit Tamer, I get what you're saying. I respect what Miyamoto's done for all of the Mario series, but he really screwed up big time with the Paper Mario series. Sticker Star was going to originally be Paper Mario 3D, and it was looking absolutely fantastic; until we saw more gameplay of Sticker Star, it looked awful. I got the game and thought it was an okay game, but as a Paper Mario game, it was awful. We got Color Splash and it looked like it absolutely played the same as Sticker Star, and many weren't happy about it. If you look at the sales, Sticker Star has 2 million, but we all learned from that game to not buy another Paper Mario game unless it was made like one of the first three games. Color Splash's total sales today is around 160,000... that's awful, and it's clear that the Paper Mario fanbase was really pissed off and didn't want to buy it.

Miyamoto also missed an opportunity with a better crossover involving Paper Jam. I got Paper Jam and loved it, I think it's much better than Dream Team, but he really missed a big opportunity with that game. The fact that he used Sticker Star characters was just... ugh, awful. Instead of having Bowser as the main villain again for the 34th time, they could've made a team up of Fawful and Dimentio. They only used casual Mario characters as bosses and characters, they didn't use anyone from Paper Mario 64, TTYD, or Super Paper Mario. They had plans for making Paper Luigi playable, but instead they cut him from being playable and made him as a complete joke, and they consider him as a "We don't talk about him" type of character; they could've made him Mr. L. If we had a huge crossover with Mario & Luigi + All the Paper Mario characters, we could've seen so many team ups like Popple and Mr. L; Fawful and Dimentio; Lord Crump and Midbus; etc. I know Fawful and Dimentio are dead, but I don't think Nintendo and AlphaDream care. We saw Fawful poof from existence in Superstar Saga, but he came back in Partners in Time as a bean merchant in the sewers. Fawful and Dimentio would've been the main villains and the both of them could've had a plan to try and betray each other. And when I mean a bunch of team ups, I mean that they're all affiliated with their own crew; no, the other team ups are NOT affiliated with Fawful and Dimentio, but most of the time it's Mario, Luigi, and Paper Luigi fighting them. Also, I would've made Bowser be part of the team, just like how he was in Super Mario RPG. Most of his moves would involve his attacks from Bowser's Inside Story but his special attacks will be his own moves this time (his attacks will be brand new), and it won't involve his minions like in Bowser's Inside Story because all his minions are brainwashed and work for Fawful and Dimentio now. I'm just so tired of Bowser being seen as a villain, because the dude clearly has a heart and does care about others, so I would've made him part of the team. And if we can't use Fawful and Dimentio, we could always use brand new villains.

I hope they make a good Paper Mario game like the first three again.
I honestly think Sakurai is a genius and Miyamoto isn't because of stuff like this and the Dinosaur Planet fiasco. He also enforced dumb **** like not allowing Mario to jump in the Mario/Rabbids overworld; that hurt immersion for me. My party was soulless robots following a Roomba (an actual robot) around.

Nintendo started being afraid of being creative at a certain point, and are resting on their beloved laurels. What you said about Paper Jam applies to Odyssey: why are they so afraid of using Mario characters in Mario sandbox games who aren't Mario, Peach, Bowser or Toad? Imagine a DK boss battle where he captures Pauline in New Donk City and you have to capture a plane to take him down... "nah, a giant spider robot mech will do fine". What about the Koopalings instead of the Broodals, or letting Wario and Waluigi have a life outside of the sports games? I'm totally getting off tangent now, but that entire game should've taken place in the Mushroom Kingdom, not ended there.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This has been known in inner circles for roughly a month but I'm surprised someone was dumb enough to post it online. "Hey Nintendo! I broke into your house and revealed your kids' Christmas presents to them and all their friends! Wanna know how I did it?" Hope that guy isn't looking for a job in the video game industry anytime soon.

D

Deleted member

This has been known in inner circles for roughly a month but I'm surprised someone was dumb enough to post it online. "Hey Nintendo! I broke into your house and revealed your kids' Christmas presents to them and all their friends! Wanna know how I did it?" Hope that guy isn't looking for a job in the video game industry anytime soon.
And Tansut said that Erdrick doesn't have any work done on him, correct?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I am going to quote this post again
I'm fine with it (mainly because that would make asking for Slime and Jessica easier in the future), but there is only one thing that confuses me.

If the 5Chan leak only got that character and the alts right, then why the bloody hell is Anlucia one of Eddy's alts when her own game never was exported in any form? Unless Sak is 100% sure an offline version of DQX gets released stateside at some point, he has balls of Metal Slimes to do this.

Yeah, sometimes I don't get folks like that, they need to know everything the hard way. To quote a Jet Li character in "The One": "Don't you people ever learn?".

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
And Tansut said that Erdrick doesn't have any work done on him, correct?
Well that's just what he supposedly heard. And technically he said not much was done. Doesn't mean they can't work fast enough on him. Won't be surprised if we got a reveal sooner or later.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Honestly, they're working on an admitted surplus and seeing this much progress is... absolutely nuts. I'd honestly be shocked if we didn't get some other miscellaneous DLC at this point with how well things are going. Wow.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly, they're working on an admitted surplus and seeing this much progress is... absolutely nuts. I'd honestly be shocked if we didn't get some other miscellaneous DLC at this point with how well things are going. Wow.
Combine that with the absurd cashflow Ultimate's sales have been producing and it's bound to make some wonders.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
The only Mario game I prefer over RPG is 64, and that is by a slim margin.

I honestly think Sakurai is a genius and Miyamoto isn't because of stuff like this and the Dinosaur Planet fiasco. He also enforced dumb **** like not allowing Mario to jump in the Mario/Rabbids overworld; that hurt immersion for me. My party was soulless robots following a Roomba (an actual robot) around.

Nintendo started being afraid of being creative at a certain point, and are resting on their beloved laurels. What you said about Paper Jam applies to Odyssey: why are they so afraid of using Mario characters in Mario sandbox games who aren't Mario, Peach, Bowser or Toad? Imagine a DK boss battle where he captures Pauline in New Donk City and you have to capture a plane to take him down... "nah, a giant spider robot mech will do fine". What about the Koopalings instead of the Broodals, or letting Wario and Waluigi have a life outside of the sports games? I'm totally getting off tangent now, but that entire game should've taken place in the Mushroom Kingdom, not ended there.
I agree with some of the things you said, but I disagree about Odyssey only taking place in the Mushroom Kingdom. Odyssey wouldn't have been called "Odyssey" if it only took place in the Mushroom Kingdom. Odyssey was great being around the planet, but it should've had a few more kingdoms to explore because some continents on the planet didn't have kingdoms, and for some reason they decided to remove Isle Delfino from the game... that was the one thing many people were looking forward to, but they decided to scrap that. Nintendo doesn't think sometimes either, I agree with that, because they're having Odyssey DLC with costumes but not a new kingdom to explore or Isle Delfino as DLC? Like c'mon, we already beat the game and they're still making new costumes for the game.

I said this before, but a huge opportunity they missed was not putting a life-sized Geno doll in the game to possess with Cappy. This is one of the reasons why I wish Geno was bought by Nintendo back in the '90s because a Geno doll to possess in Odyssey would've been amazing and perfect for a boss fight.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I hate how true this comic is. It kind of pains me that Ridley was wanted for so long and that most people stopped caring once he got in because he's not top tier. I really hope this doesn't happen to Geno but this honestly does happen with a lot of popular picks. I can already tell that K. Rool is going to go the route of Dedede in Brawl and get notably worse as time goes on, even if he isn't nerfed. Megaman, Robin, Pac-Man, and Little Mac are all now super niche despite once being big characters in Smash speculation. Mewtwo, Bayonetta, Corrin, and Rosalina are not as good as their Smash 4 counterparts so their support has plummeted. Bowser Jr was resented almost right out of the gate despite a goofy amount of effort going into him and the Koopalings. I suppose that this is one of the ugly aspects of the Smash fandom is that most character fanbases hollow themselves out if the character isn't super good or at least meme-y like Dedede. Of course there's exceptions like Roy (who's ironically now stupid good after nearly 20 years) but the truth is that not a lot of Smash fans are character loyalists and jump ship if the character isn't perceived as being good.
People shouldn't jump on a bandwagon because a lot of other people are doing so or they shouldn't want a character because they might think they would be top tier, but they should want a character because they should really love and adore that character. That is why I voted for K. Rool during the Smash Ballot because I really liked the character and didn't care if he was high or low in the tier list if he made it in.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
He said not a lot. This is just parameters so it's the most basic of coding for characters. More or less this tells us that the character in question was worked on at some point.
Wellll I’m personally hoping that he got scrapped and that’s why there’s barely anything there

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Wellll I’m personally hoping that he got scrapped and that’s why there’s barely anything there
The info was patched in with the 1.1 update, though, so that would not fit a scrapped character. Whatever character this is, Erdrick or another DQ hero or whatever, they haven't been scrapped.

domriver

Smash Lord
He said not a lot. This is just parameters so it's the most basic of coding for characters. More or less this tells us that the character in question was worked on at some point.
Uncertain if you can respond directly about it but has the idea that it just may be an ECHO fighter ever occur? I wouldn't be surprised that they would throw us an Echo every now and then. (wishful thinking) maybe i dont know.

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
"PUT IT ON A SHIRT!"
I am sorry, that is the only thing I know relating to this character, and it's not even from the official show.
Was that an Abridged reference? Nice.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
The info was patched in with the 1.1 update, though, so that would not fit a scrapped character. Whatever character this is, Erdrick or another DQ hero or whatever, they haven't been scrapped.
O-oh.... well then. GG SE no re
335A276C-389A-4286-926C-6E8457A6A3C9.jpeg

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Was that an Abrigded reference? Nice.
I am a TFS fan, what can I say? The only thing I really know from the show itself is the theme song, and that has been swimming around in my brain ever since I was a young child of 4-6. That thing is catchy.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Another thing to take into consideration with Erdrick; including him would prove once and for all to SE that when Sakurai chooses a character, he means it.

That he managed to negotiate a character from a series that's difficult to deal with rights-wise would be a feat worthy of the Guiness World Records. And if SE STILL isn't willing to budge on Geno after that, Sakurai will just continue to climb their mountains and swim through their rivers until they change their minds.

Besides, he's tackled one of the two JRPG giants, it would make sense to go after the other one next.

Uncertain if you can respond directly about it but has the idea that it just may be an ECHO fighter ever occur? I wouldn't be surprised that they would throw us an Echo every now and then. (wishful thinking) maybe i dont know.
Cross-series clones haven't been a thing since Melee. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

SilentSentinel

Smash Apprentice
The character with the "Brave" placeholder that is speculated to be the Dragon Quest fighter has a unique weight value (101). No other characters in the game have this weight value, and all current echoes share the same weight as their original character.

D

Deleted member

Alright, so Eddy is almost guaranteed, but it doesn't mean that Geno is out. The "only one SE rep" is a fanmade rule. The fanmade rules get broken a lot of the time.

And, a reminder that there is a possibility that both Geno and Cloud were planned for Smash 4 DLC. Two Square Enix characters. That could happen in Smash Ultimate DLC.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
well, i promised my girlfriend that if geno got deconfirmed id just play skullgirls with her instead of smash, so even though i haven't been a big part of the community ill probably be done with smash outside of playing casually every now and then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom