• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klimax

Smash Ace
What makes you say that?
When they announced DLC, I said that I was scared about Geno's chances because I though they were going to pick third party. With Joker being the first DLC, it makes me think that I was right. And Geno is just big among the Smash community.

Also, I think that his spirit deconfirms him. I'm not saying that a spirit can't be a character, but I feel like Geno's spirit deconfims him, let me explain. Sakurai said that he wanted spirits to make the players feel like their favorite character is still in the game. Also, Geno's spirit is a legendary one, I don't know, to me it just seems like Sakurai said "hey look, I couldn't make Geno playable but he's still a big deal in the game". To be honest, if the spirit was a two stars spirit, I would be more confident in Geno's chances because it wouldn't feel like they wanted to make his spirit important. The fact that they made his spirit one of the strongest makes me think that they just don't have anything else for the Geno's fans.

That's not a lot of things and the character still has a lot of things going for him, we said it countless times, I'm just saying that I don't believe it anymore. And I hope that I'm ****ing wrong.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I don't trust anything after Grinch leak and Joker, but I am willing to take a leak I don't necessarily like or agree with more wholeheartedly to save myself the disappointment. I'd love Geno, but I acknowledge that his chances are really quite poor now, even with everything going for him.

That being said, don't give up in a revival for him, and fight for a wave 2 in terms of Smash. If the Fighter's Pass ends up completed and there's enough backlash, who knows what will happen? The way Geno's been acknowledged by Nintendo, as well, gives me hopes that he can make a revival. Will it be in Smash? Probably not. However, like I said before, we may have lost the battle, but we've not lost the war.

I suggest you all get your thoughts put together and honest, yet tactful letters to Square and Nintendo ASAP. If there's any real hope left, Smash or no, we have to say so sooner rather than later.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
And just for funsies, I decided to watch the Smash U credits. I was mostly checking for the “Geno is owned by Square Enix” section. Interestingly...it never did show up. Idk if that’s a mistake on the people who made the credits or if that means something else.... Additionally, there are only three names attached to Square Enix as far as colloaborators: Tetsuya Nomura (of course), Yoshinori Kitase (director and producer of most if not all of the Final Fantasy games, notably also Co Produced Kingdom Hearts and was Director and Scenario Writer for Crono Trigger) and Tomohiko Hirano (his only credit on IMDB is for Advent Children). I’m assuming all of this was the people involved in Cloud’s inclusion, but weird that Geno is in, and no credits for his cameo are in this like they were in Mario SSS
It's weird how Square owns Geno but we have no clue who has the authority of him at Square. We have no clue if a higher-up has control over him or Nomura does, but I highly doubt Nomura has control of Geno's rights because if he did, I think he would've made a deal with Sakurai to put Geno in Smash 4.

But I've been wondering... and I'll try not to get everyone's hopes up over some theory, but what if Geno and Mallow's rights were bought by Nintendo a few years ago? I mean, think about it... There was no "Geno is owned by Square" in the Smash 3DS/Wii U credits, and we know back in Superstar Saga his property was showed in the credits. Sakurai said, "And thanks to our relationship with Square Enix, we will release a Mii fighter costume." This quote could have a deeper meaning to it. Sure, his Mii costume was in a Square pack for the Mii costumes, but because of Square and Nintendo's relationship getting better, this could have a different meaning... perhaps it means Square decided to give Nintendo the offer of buying Geno's rights from them? It could or could not, we'll never know. Seriously, I have no clue if this is what it means, but don't get your hopes up because there are some cons with these pros. As for mentioning Mallow, it's because he's a spirit. Minus Cloud, Geno and Mallow are the only Square spirits there, but we have no clue if they're owned by Square or Nintendo. However, what gets me the feeling that Square still owns Geno and Mallow is because of Geno's cameo in Superstar Saga; he wasn't in the remake, and I know for sure that AlphaDream would've put Geno in there if Nintendo owned him, but we have no clue why they decided not to put Geno in the remake. My only guess is because his cameo was expensive, about as expensive as the Geno Mii costume.

I have the slighest feeling Nintendo is trying to get Geno to be more recognized to the public. Not sure if they're trying to prepare Geno for something or what, but I think we all know now that Nintendo is aware of Geno's popularity.

Pros:
-SMRPG being talked about at Nintendo, said by a senior artist at Nintendo and even drew Geno.
-Geno's Mii costume.
-The interview of Sakurai expressing his love for Geno.
-SMRPG making it on the Wii U Virtual Console.
-SMRPG being one of the 21 selected games for the SNES Classic.
-The tweet from earlier this year, the 22nd anniversary one.
-The Geno and Mallow spirits.
-The Geno trivia question from the VGA.

Cons:
Geno's cameo not in the Superstar Saga remake.
Geno's Mii costume is not in Ultimate, nor are the other third-party costumes.

Just saying, they could be preparing Geno for something. COULD. Whether it's him being in a new game or not, we'll have to wait and see for ourselves. Let's hope it's Super Mario RPG for the Switch or something even more... special. ;)

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I'm going to clear up the Erdrick 'leak'. Here's the order of events:

1) Vergeben and Hitagi have been claiming for about a month or so that a Granblue fighting game from ASC is in development. The rumor's been spreading around for quite a while.
2) Five days ago, someone on 5ch posts this 'leak' of a Granblue fighting game coming out, also stating that they know about Joker's moveset quirks and his stage, as well as Erdrick and his. The next post they made about the Smash characters was ten minutes after and it is not verified if it's even the same user, even if in the same thread.
3) Today, the Granblue fighting game rumored a month or so ago was announced.

Is Erdrick possible? Yes. Is this leak the smoking gun? Absolutely not. It's one of those 'piggybacking' off of Vergeben and Hitagi with info they happened to get right. Along with that, an actually verified source, PolarPanda's, has said that no one knows the DLC. This was essentially confirmed by Joker being such a surprise that no one predicted. Joker's only just recently started development as evidenced by the fact that they didn't even have gameplay to show, nor do they have his model up on the Smash site, whereas Piranha Plant's is.

It's literally impossible for them to know about all of those details on Joker's and Erdrick's moves and stage when Joker isn't even anywhere near completion. On top of that, no one is sure of the DLC yet unless they're extremely higher-up employees, and I'm willing to bet it's on a 'need to know' basis. Guessing a rumored game that's been in the rumor mill for quite some time through notable insiders is also not at all farfetched, and it's easy to see that it's a 'safe' rumor to push to make the leak look legitimate.

tl;dr: the 'leak' hardly has anything to back it up. It only blew up because of the Granblue thing, which holds essentially no water when it's piggybacking off of prior leaks. Adding Persona 5 stuff is also pretty safe considering we know of Joker's existence in Smash now. It's pulling things we already know and have already been in the rumor mill to push a fake Smash leak.

Basically, move along, nothing to see here.
yeah thats sort of what I figured but, still thought it was worth mentioning.
I had heard about the granblue thing awhile ago, not sure why thats all of a sudden such a big deal.
still, erdrick does sound like something squeenix would push, because they seem intent on pissing off as many people as possible as often as possible.
see: ff14 blue mage and ff15s dlc cancellations, also 0 work being put into ff7 remake

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I don’t see where Hitagi corroborates yet, but Xenother is sure. Tbh I have no reason to distrust either, so that’s kind of disappointing to hear
I can also confirm that Hitagi backs Xenother completely, and Hitagi knew about the Granblue fighting game for about a month now. I should also mention that the Erdrick/Joker's stage leak came from a Japanese post and required translation, in Japan Erdrick is actually referred to as Loto. The more you know.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I can also confirm that Hitagi backs Xenother completely, and Hitagi knew about the Granblue fighting game for about a month now. I should also mention that the Erdrick/Joker's stage leak came from a Japanese post and required translation, in Japan Erdrick is actually referred to as Loto. The more you know.
Please resurrect my confidence in Geno. :')

Plz?

LemurExpress

Smash Rookie
Erdrick seems like a really weird pick - isn't he owned by four companies, one of which being defunct?

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
What does this entail?

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Please resurrect my confidence in Geno. :')

Plz?
Man, you know I wish I had something positive to say. I want Geno more than anybody else, but I'd say it looks like an uphill battle RN.

What does this entail?
Erdrick is looking really likely. I'd personally be realllllly happy if it's not him though, ofc.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I dunno why we're letting ourselves get down over what a couple "insiders" have to say. No offense intended to folks like PolarPanda and xenother, of course, and I don't doubt that they do have legit sources, but Nintendo has proven themselves more than capable of spreading misinformation and not just letting stuff slip out; we saw that much at the VGAs. Considering these are the same insiders who were so confident in the SE rep being the first DLC revealed and had not a cursory word to say about Joker prior to his reveal, I'm not really willing to take anything any of them say into consideration unless they have some damn solid proof to back it up.
Sorry, but I don't buy it. Frankly, after Joker, I'm assuming that whatever the insiders say will happen WON'T happen.

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
It's weird how Square owns Geno but we have no clue who has the authority of him at Square. We have no clue if a higher-up has control over him or Nomura does, but I highly doubt Nomura has control of Geno's rights because if he did, I think he would've made a deal with Sakurai to put Geno in Smash 4.

But I've been wondering... and I'll try not to get everyone's hopes up over some theory, but what if Geno and Mallow's rights were bought by Nintendo a few years ago? I mean, think about it... There was no "Geno is owned by Square" in the Smash 3DS/Wii U credits, and we know back in Superstar Saga his property was showed in the credits. Sakurai said, "And thanks to our relationship with Square Enix, we will release a Mii fighter costume." This quote could have a deeper meaning to it. Sure, his Mii costume was in a Square pack for the Mii costumes, but because of Square and Nintendo's relationship getting better, this could have a different meaning... perhaps it means Square decided to give Nintendo the offer of buying Geno's rights from them? It could or could not, we'll never know. Seriously, I have no clue if this is what it means, but don't get your hopes up because there are some cons with these pros. As for mentioning Mallow, it's because he's a spirit. Minus Cloud, Geno and Mallow are the only Square spirits there, but we have no clue if they're owned by Square or Nintendo. However, what gets me the feeling that Square still owns Geno and Mallow is because of Geno's cameo in Superstar Saga; he wasn't in the remake, and I know for sure that AlphaDream would've put Geno in there if Nintendo owned him, but we have no clue why they decided not to put Geno in the remake. My only guess is because his cameo was expensive, about as expensive as the Geno Mii costume.

I have the slighest feeling Nintendo is trying to get Geno to be more recognized to the public. Not sure if they're trying to prepare Geno for something or what, but I think we all know now that Nintendo is aware of Geno's popularity.

Pros:
-SMRPG being talked about at Nintendo, said by a senior artist at Nintendo and even drew Geno.
-Geno's Mii costume.
-The interview of Sakurai expressing his love for Geno.
-SMRPG making it on the Wii U Virtual Console.
-SMRPG being one of the 21 selected games for the SNES Classic.
-The tweet from earlier this year, the 22nd anniversary one.
-The Geno and Mallow spirits.
-The Geno trivia question from the VGA.

Cons:
Geno's cameo not in the Superstar Saga remake.
Geno's Mii costume is not in Ultimate, nor are the other third-party costumes.

Just saying, they could be preparing Geno for something. COULD. Whether it's him being in a new game or not, we'll have to wait and see for ourselves. Let's hope it's Super Mario RPG for the Switch or something even more... special. ;)
Also note how Nintendo and not Square are the only ones hyping/mentioning Geno...even though he’s owned by Nintendo?
Man, you know I wish I had something positive to say. I want Geno more than anybody else, but I'd say it looks like an uphill battle RN.

Erdrick is looking really likely. I'd personally be realllllly happy if it's not him though, ofc.
Well dang. That’s really disappointing.
I guess the only way we’re getting Geno is IF Nintendo miraculously bought the rights or something. *sigh*

D

Deleted member

Also note how Nintendo and not Square are the only ones hyping/mentioning Geno...even though he’s owned by Nintendo?

Well dang. That’s really disappointing.
I guess the only way we’re getting Geno is IF Nintendo miraculously bought the rights or something. *sigh*
Only reason Erdrick is looking "likely" is due to insider speak.

Same ones who thought the SE rep would be the first DLC

Dynamic Worlok

How disappointing. And they told us this DLC will be full of "must-haves" Between this and steve, I may end up skipping out on DLC entirely.

D

Deleted member

As a matter of fact, Verge was the only one who heard SE would be first, and that was only from a single source. He made a bad call on that front.
Oh, never mind then. Still, like you said, no one knows the DLC

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Oh, never mind then. Still, like you said, no one knows the DLC
I feel like that's still a fair statement to stand behind. Most of what's going around now is piecing things together. The logic of "more reliable sources are hearing Erdrick, so it must be Erdrick." On the other hand, I believe it's just as fair to hold out on that not being the case. I'm 99% sure I'll be able to get something a day or two before the next direct, maybe even before it's announced, that will solidly tell me. But for now, anything that's going around isn't from NoA, it'd have to be from somewhere else like Enix or Namco.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Since Geno and Mallow are still said to come from "Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars" instead of "Super Mario series," that may be what shows that they aren't owned by Nintendo.

However, I remember seeing a couple or so other Spirits of Nintendo characters only coming from one game in a series, so maybe it doesn't mean anything. The fact they're still branded as Mario characters still makes the majority think that they're owned by Nintendo, and I find joy in how Nintendo acknowledges them more than Square (as in, acknowledges them at all), even if they've only done it two-three times this year.

I'm also not sure about Hitagi; they clearly have legitimate info, but a lot of insiders (supposedly) were wrong about the first DLC, and Hitagi's info conflicted with Vergeben's list from what I remember (he said no FF, probably some others but I forgot).

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I feel like that's still a fair statement to stand behind. Most of what's going around now is piecing things together. The logic of "more reliable sources are hearing Erdrick, so it must be Erdrick." On the other hand, I believe it's just as fair to hold out on that not being the case. I'm 99% sure I'll be able to get something a day or two before the next direct, maybe even before it's announced, that will solidly tell me. But for now, anything that's going around isn't from NoA, it'd have to be from somewhere else like Enix or Namco.
I'll always trust you, my man. Keep it up.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Already said it but I'll say it again: copyright wise, Erdrick DLC is a train wreck with 5 IP shareholders. If Nintendo managed to miraculously negotiate all of these, Square is getting a tiny fraction of DLC profits because they'd also have to share with Nintendo and Namco for actually developing the game. Erdrick as DLC is almost worthless to Square specifically so I could easily see another SE character as DLC as one of the last three. If Sora and Sephiroth are off the table and DQ's already in, it certainly limits things, doesn't it? More food for thought, SEGA, Konami, and Capcom all have three reps and Namco's likely to get a second but with people agreeing that Tales is the only prominent series if Tekken's off the table. Plus, Namco's developing the game so they're already rolling in it anyways so a third isn't necessary. This sets things up for Square wanting a minimal effort character that makes them money. Even if Erdrick's in, this ain't over.

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
Why do you hate Nintendo so much? I mean, your allowed to not exactly like every thing they do, but every other post you find some way be mad at them.
Hey man I can't answer your question, but I've had the same thought multiple times. That's half the reason I just kind of...lurk here, at this point.

The other half is...there's nothing left to say. No one knows the DLC, and no one is going to know for quite awhile. So all we can do is be hopeful.

At least, that's my views. I understand there still needs to be discussion to keep the thread going though, and I know people don't like it when non-Geno topics get brought up for too long.

My confidence in Geno isn't quite as high as it used to be, since the Joker reveal, but I'm still PRETTY confident. In the meantime though, I'm just enjoying playing Ultimate.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Already said it but I'll say it again: copyright wise, Erdrick DLC is a train wreck with 5 IP shareholders. If Nintendo managed to miraculously negotiate all of these, Square is getting a tiny fraction of DLC profits because they'd also have to share with Nintendo and Namco for actually developing the game. Erdrick as DLC is almost worthless to Square specifically so I could easily see another SE character as DLC as one of the last three. If Sora and Sephiroth are off the table and DQ's already in, it certainly limits things, doesn't it? More food for thought, SEGA, Konami, and Capcom all have three reps and Namco's likely to get a second but with people agreeing that Tales is the only prominent series if Tekken's off the table. Plus, Namco's developing the game so they're already rolling in it anyways so a third isn't necessary. This sets things up for Square wanting a minimal effort character that makes them money. Even if Erdrick's in, this ain't over.
I mean, Square refusing to license out DQ due to getting too small a slice makes sense--we actually kind of have evidence of it, even. They've never licensed out DQ at all before, despite the series' immense Japanese popularity. Never, in the 30 or so years it has existed, even in Japan alone. I can see how Smash could be the one game to buck that trend, but honestly, it seems hard to believe Square would finally make that leap after so long, and for such a small internal profit. Add to that the general blandness of a possible rep, especially compared to Joker, who sets the standard of the DLC, and DQ looks very unlikely to me.

...of course, I might have said the same thing about Joker before the VGAs. And my bias is in full play here, lol. If Erdrick really does make it in, I just hope he's actually interesting. Joker has me hyped after listening to a friend of mine explain Persona 5's battle system to me. Perhaps the same can happen with DQ.

Last edited:

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
DQ would be so boringgggggggggg mannnnnnnn just make them a Mii Costume!!
What would even be the selling point of Erdrick? "Oh look, he wields a sword and uses magic! He even looks like Goku, isn't this amazing?" Might as well replace him with Crono, the guy would generate much more hype than Erdrick would.

Krooli

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
3332 7619 1413
Haven’t posted here in awhile I’ve been enjoying and focusing on Ultimate but I’m ready to move towards DLC Speculation anywho you guys were talking about DQ? Mind if I chime in;

I Still believe Dragon quest is unlikely cause as we’ve previously discussed their licensing is a living hell and would produce less money for Square even taking the Rights out of the way,

honestly who outside of Japan would buy Erdrick? Maybe DQ Fans but proven by how little DQ sells in America and elsewhere there’s not a lot of DQ fans outside of Japan so that added with the rights issue would be a waste of Resources In my Opinion. Plus they’ve tried to market and push DQ in america three times why would now be different?

Not to mention Leakers have been wrong in the past with Verge saying the Square rep would be first, Hitagi saying No Atlus rep as DLC and That one leak that guessed Joker also guessing Erdrick could be piggybacking and most likely is just that.

Compred to Geno who while his chances fell a bit with what Reggie said and Square usually being ***** all the speculation and points that are in his favor has yet to be BTFO’d. Be hopeful for Geno my dudes cause In my opinion he still has a fair chance regardless of Leakers.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
IMG_20181215_223603.png

Take this laughing Geno. I don't know who made it , but it's a good emote lol

And Erdrick?

What was the last time that a third party promoted a third party franchise?

:ultsnake: was here because Kojima badly wanted him in Smash , and would generate a lot of hype , he was the first third party ! And a surprising one , at that. He wasn't here because "promote MGS lol".

:ultsonic: I mean , the blue blur is an iconic video game character , and him getting in Smash Bros was considered since Melee. Remember the ol' days of Sega VS Nintendo ? MegaDrive VS Super Nintendo? Sonic was an hype character , he wasn't here because "promote Sonic Unleashed duh".

:ultmegaman: He's iconic. That's obvious , he's a NES icon and a character that's still kicking , with a lot of series and spin-off (The Legacy collections are just sratching the surface) , he was very requested since melee , alongside Sonic. He was at the beginning of the Sm4sh Hype cycle between :ultvillager: and :ultwiifittrainer: to hype people.

:ultpacman: Bandai Namco was on board , it was obvious that they would give the most iconic arcade video game character of all-time. I don't think he was as requested , but he's here for history and iconic status. And he still has games to this day , with the Pac-Man world games , and , even tho mediocre/decent , Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures.

:ultryu:Mr.Fighting game himself. That's enough to be hype. Capcom didn't released a single Street Fighter on the Wii U btw(except SNES titles on the eshop I think) , and yeah :ultken: was here because he was an obvious echo.

:ultcloud:Mr.RPG himself.Most iconic SE character from the most iconic RPG franchise of all-time , and was long considered an impossibility. He's iconic and it's Final Fantasy , a big part of RPG's history. If they wanted to promote a recent FF game , why not Lighting instead?

:ultbayonetta: Supposed winner of the ballot and... She's a Nintendo character. All of her games are on the Wii U/Switch now. That's why she get a pass , she's VERY close to Nintendo , and had requests.

:ultsimon: Is an NES icon. He was the last one that was needeed , and was iconic. I think his request died down because of Konami's behavior with their franchises , but people were hyped by Simon. And once again , no Castlevania on the Switch , only a PS4 collection if I recall. And :ultrichter: is here because echo , so why not bring another belmont in the mix. His game also sold pretty poorly if I recall (I think it was Dracula X?)

Joker is a tricky one. I think it was because of requests , and in the context of the VGA. He was a very popular character among gamers , and P5 was still fresh in people's mind. I don't think it was done to promote a 3DS game lol , it was really for the hype.

But no one here was "LET'S PROMOTE OUR FRANCHISE YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET".

Erdrick only has history for him , not even requests. He isn't iconic because of a lack of world-wide appeal.And let's not talk about how they would share profit with Nintendo , SE , Armor project , Bird Studio , HeartBeat and the composer. Thats 6 parties in total... Sega , Konami , Capcom , Bandai Namco , Platinum games and Atlus... It's 6 parties.

Let that sink in , they already have 6 differents third parties for Smash , and you would need to talk between 6 differents parties to get ONE character as DLC , even tho they are a billion of third parties that would gladly say yes for their characters inclusions in Smash , not counting Nintendo/Second party characters.

Dynamic Worlok

:ultsnake: was here because Kojima badly wanted him in Smash , and would generate a lot of hype , he was the first third party ! And a surprising one , at that. He wasn't here because "promote MGS lol".
If I recall correctly, Kojima made twin snakes entirely so there would be a MGS presence on nintendo consoles, giving them the justification to add snake. Which is pretty hilarious.

KidCham

Smash Apprentice
:ultpacman: Bandai Namco was on board , it was obvious that they would give the most iconic arcade video game character of all-time. I don't think he was as requested , but he's here for history and iconic status. And he still has games to this day , with the Pac-Man world games , and , even tho mediocre/decent , Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures.
To add precisions, Namco didn't think or asked itself to put Pac-Man, it was Miyamoto who asked Sakurai and Namco to put Pac-man in smash

And Kojima asked Sakurai to put Snake in because his son wanted to play Snake in smash

I think it's really funny how things work out

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
At this point if the SE character does end up being Erdrick I’m genuinely expecting considerable backlash on social media and whatnot just from the sheer amount of people who have gotten their hopes up for Sora. People can say that “people will be hype about whatever character because it’s Smash lol” all they want but that’s not really the case. PP still remains a controversial pick commonly referred to as anti-hype and it’s the intentionally wtf character of SSBU from arguably the most popular franchise Nintendo has. Erdrick would be a bland character no one asked for from a franchise that most people outside of Japan don’t give a **** about. It would end up feeling like the anti-joker for most people who don’t really get why the whole Disney situation makes Sora a huge long shot. If Nintendo was taken aback by waluigi and Isaac fans being upset they better prepare for the absolute anal devastation from the entitled KH fanbase if Erdrick is selected over Sora.

Last edited:

KidCham

Smash Apprentice
At this point if the SE character does end up being Erdrick I’m genuinely expecting considerable backlash on social media and whatnot just from the sheer amount of people who have gotten their hopes up for Sora. People can say that “people will be hype about whatever character because it’s Smash lol” all they want but that’s not really the case. PP still remains a controversial pick commonly referred to as anti-hype and it’s the intentionally wtf character of SSBU from arguably the most popular franchise Nintendo has. Erdrick would be a bland character no one asked for from a franchise that most people outside of Japan don’t give a **** about. It would end up feeling like the anti-joker for most people who don’t really get why the whole Disney situation makes Sora a huge long shot. If Nintendo was taken aback by waluigi and Isaac fans being upset they better prepare for the absolute anal devastation from the entitled KH fanbase if Erdrick is selected over Sora.
yes but every pick gets a backlash, not only from the square enix character, everyone wants different characters, it's hard to please all the people

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
What would even be the selling point of Erdrick? "Oh look, he wields a sword and uses magic! He even looks like Goku, isn't this amazing?" Might as well replace him with Crono, the guy would generate much more hype than Erdrick would.
not to mention Crono could bring TIME TRAVEL into smash

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Honestly, if I were y'all, I would highly temper your expectations and put it in your heads that it's Erdrick. It doesn't mean Geno is hard deconfirmed, but it does make his chances go down the toilet. The benefit is that he would be a very easy Square rep to get, so if we were to somehow get two more, Geno's chances would be very high as the third Square rep. However, I highly doubt that.

All my hopes are lingering on are for the return of Geno outside of Smash and for his Mii costume to come back. It's heartbreaking that, in my heart of hearts, I don't think it's his time for Smash now, but it would be a horrible blow if we don't even get the Mii costume again either.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly, I still think we probably won't get an SE rep at all. This is still a rumor about a possible announcement that's months away, from dubious sources. What are the odds that it actually happens?

If getting Geno is a planetary alignment, Erdrick is like performing a ritual that has to be done just right, but only happens once every century, at a specific time of the day, while an eclipse happens at the same time.

At this stage, even a Space Invader would be more reasonable.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
You know, even if Geno doesn't get in Smash, I have so much appreciation for the existence of his fanbase. It does my heart good to see so many people rallying for him — and even outside of the Smash circle, too! I was honestly surprised at just how large of a following he has. I always was under the impression that it was mainly the Smash bubble myself, but he's definitely farther reaching than that.

Anyhow, all I can say is that I encourage that you don't hesitate to show your appreciation for characters that you love, including Geno. Fanworks and such will always keep him alive, anyhow! I'd love to undertake some more ambitious fan projects involving Geno myself, really.

I posted this fan art to my art blog last night, and whilst initially very shy about posting here, I feel a little more at ease with sharing at least this much. Consider this dedicated to y'all.
I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!!”

Geez I’m gone for one day and everyone’s depressed again. Should I make a Geno PowerPoint as well as my third Ninten one? I feel like you guys deserve one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom