• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't know if someone's brought this up before, but going off of the info about the Isaac backlash I just realized something that might work in Geno's favor.
Since Nintendo seems to be under the impression that Assist Trophies are a good consolation price for not being fighters, why isn't Geno one?
Akira was previously a costume and got bumped up to an Assist this time around and they have the rights to Geno when it comes to cameos (since the spirit is there)
And if Square is being stingy with FF, why not include Geno as the Square Assist instead?

The only thing we as a community seem to agree on when it comes to deconfirms is that an Assist is a death sentence.
And while I don't think this is enough to conclude that Geno will in fact be playable, I think it would at least line up with him being considered.
We've played with the idea and, honestly, costume theory is fairly solid especially when you consider all but five of the third party ones have a tangible form in Ultimate right now. Looking from the last batch:

-Inkling (playable)
-Isabelle (playable)
-K. Rool (playable)
-Chrom (playable)
-Knuckles (assist trophy)
-Black Knight (assist trophy)
-Zero (assist trophy)
-Akira (assist trophy)
-Rathalos (assist trophy/boss)
-Protoman (final smash element)

All these guys were upgraded. The five MIA third party ones are Geno (in the rumor mill), Lloyd (in the rumor mill), Monster Hunter (in the rumor mill), Heihachi (said by Sakurai to be too complicated), and Jacky (Virtua Fighter already has Akira). It's a nice coincidence. Throw Tails in there (he's a background element in Green Hill Zone but who cares) and you pretty much have the leading candidates from every third party except Konami. This is also notable because there's decent evidence that the assets from the costumes were used for the upgrades we've currently seen.

Add in: Kind of had an ephiphany on Tails yesterday during the Sephiroth discussions. I got into "who should have the honor of being the first third party secondary character in Smash" and I concluded that Sephiroth would be a hard sell for this. I then started to play around with my idea and concluded that, based on their presence in Smash and gaming culture, the Sonic series should probably have that honor and from there thought Tails (just as iconic as Mario/Luigi and Ryu/Ken) or Dr. Eggman (arguably the most iconic third party villain). Tails had a costume in Smash 4 and thus had usuable assets so he'd probably be the easier one to make a reality. Although the evidence isn't currently there for this, if this happened it wouldn't surprise me given this string of logic.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
We've played with the idea and, honestly, costume theory is fairly solid especially when you consider all but five of the third party ones have a tangible form in Ultimate right now. Looking from the last batch:

-Inkling (playable)
-Isabelle (playable)
-K. Rool (playable)
-Chrom (playable)
-Knuckles (assist trophy)
-Black Knight (assist trophy)
-Zero (assist trophy)
-Akira (assist trophy)
-Rathalos (assist trophy/boss)
-Protoman (final smash element)

All these guys were upgraded. The five MIA third party ones are Geno (in the rumor mill), Lloyd (in the rumor mill), Monster Hunter (in the rumor mill), Heihachi (said by Sakurai to be too complicated), and Jacky (Virtua Fighter already has Akira). It's a nice coincidence. Throw Tails in there (he's a background element in Green Hill Zone but who cares) and you pretty much have the leading candidates from every third party except Konami. This is also notable because there's decent evidence that the assets from the costumes were used for the upgrades we've currently seen.
This always makes so much sense when I see it listed out. Costumes are honestly overlooked a bit too much in discussion--They, like assist trophies, are good indicators of characters that have been considered important to fans.

However, unlike ATs, most fan-favorite character costumes in 4 came out as DLC. Meaning, they were added after response to what was in the base game was assessed. They were important enough to be worked in after, in a form that people could try to imagine as playing the character. That feels like significant acknowledgement from the team/Nintendo. Not to mention the chance of gathering data on the characters' true popularity by measuring costume sales.

I'm just glad Geno was a costume in 4. If he had been an assist, that seems like it would've been worse for us.

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
This always makes so much sense when I see it listed out. Costumes are honestly overlooked a bit too much in discussion--They, like assist trophies, are good indicators of characters that have been considered important to fans.

However, unlike ATs, most fan-favorite character costumes in 4 came out as DLC. Meaning, they were added after response to what was in the base game was assessed. They were important enough to be worked in after, in a form that people could try to imagine as playing the character. That feels like significant acknowledgement from the team/Nintendo. Not to mention the chance of gathering data on the characters' true popularity by measuring costume sales.

I'm just glad Geno was a costume in 4. If he had been an assist, that seems like it would've been worse for us.
This. Out of any of the theories that have been tossed around this whole season, the costume theory I believe is the only one that ever truly held water outside of outright leaks. If we are going to start speculating on DLC characters, this is probably our best bet to begin with, not only for the assets, but also from a marketing standpoint. I'm sure Nintendo will pick other characters, but if we didn't see at least one more costume become a playable character, I would be thoroughly surprised.

also, waking up in chicago for work right now, and all i'm thinking is "dawn of the final day".

D

Deleted member

Almost time won't playwright away.

Time to say goodbye though.

Been fun but now I'm out.

Hope Geno gets in!

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
This. Out of any of the theories that have been tossed around this whole season, the costume theory I believe is the only one that ever truly held water outside of outright leaks. If we are going to start speculating on DLC characters, this is probably our best bet to begin with, not only for the assets, but also from a marketing standpoint. I'm sure Nintendo will pick other characters, but if we didn't see at least one more costume become a playable character, I would be thoroughly surprised.

also, waking up in chicago for work right now, and all i'm thinking is "dawn of the final day".
Dawn_Of_The_Final_Day_24_Hours_Remain.jpg

*insert heart-pounding clock noises

A useful meme to have on hand, lol.

Also, agreed on the costume theory. Even if Geno isn't a pick, I can at least see one of the others. Lloyd feels likely too, given Tales is the only other Namco property I can think of that's popular at all. I guess the same could be said for Tekken and Heihachi, though.

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice
Yey!!!
Finally I could catch you again! LOL
Late as always, because you like to post more than 10 pages while I'm sleeping :crying:
Anywas, congratulations for the 500 pages! (haha late orz) the Gano stampede is comingggg!

By the way, I saw this while I was at the barber shop. Could it mean an omen for what's coming? :bluejump:
pinogeno.png

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Yey!!!
Finally I could catch you again! LOL
Late as always, because you like to post more than 10 pages while I'm sleeping :crying:
Anywas, congratulations for the 500 pages! (haha late orz) the Gano stampede is comingggg!

By the way, I saw this while I was at the barber shop. Could it mean an omen for what's coming? :bluejump:
I like this omen. This is a good omen. Somebody give this man supernatural powers stat!

astralAenigma

Smash Rookie
Oh wow, this thread passed the 500 pages overnight from where I stand! You're all crazy and I love it! xD
I can't watch TGA because it is right in the middle of the night for me, but I hope something really exciting about Smash happens!
Oh, and... I have it. Smash Ultimate just arrived at my house. But... the point is I'm studying elsewhere so I can't play it until I go back home tomorrow. This is soooo frustrating, but at least, it is fair I guess...!

Anyway, at this point, seeing that stars are so well aligning for Geno's inclusion makes me really, really excited. I'm hyping responsibly, I sure know he's not confirmed or anything, but everything recently is just too... perfect. Everyone here describes it very well, so I don't really know what to add at this point. But, hum, I am so happy about his situation that I draw Geno nearly everyday during class...
Help

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think the Everyone is Here aspect is important to analyze because people have noted that Sakurai has implemented characters and ideas in this game that he's been holding on to since Melee. One such thing is "Sakurai's Journal." Following Brawl's announcement at E3 06, Sakurai posted a sort of suggestion box on the Smash Bros Dojo site. In it people could suggest a character, suggest music, or just give a shout out to him or the staff developing Brawl. For some reason, Sakurai picked 290 of these suggestions to display on the site. When it came to posts about particular characters, this is how it broke down:

King Dedede(5)
Diddy Kong(4)
Geno(4) (technically 5 because one post goes at length about Beware the Forest's Mushrooms and SMRPG in general)
Ike(4) -
Ridley(4)
Captain Olimar & Pikmin(3) -
Krystal(3)
Takamaru(3)
Windwaker Link(3)
Animal Crossing MC(2) -
Claus(2)
Demiru(2)
Isaac(2)
Jeff(2)
Kawasima(2)
King K.Rool(2)
Lip(2)
Lucas(2)
Mega Man(2)
Oguma(2)
Ouendan(2)
Sukapon(2)

Fairly interesting, isn't it? 12.5 years later and many of these characters are still well liked. Let's see where they are in Ultimate:

King Dedede(5) - playable
Diddy Kong(4) - playable
Geno(4) - spirit (currently)
Ike(4) - playable
Ridley(4) -playable
Captain Olimar & Pikmin(3) -playable
Krystal(3) - assist trophy
Takamaru(3) - assist trophy
Windwaker Link(3) -playable
Animal Crossing MC(2) -playable
Claus(2) - ALT (so technically playable)
Demiru(2) -spirit
Isaac(2) -assist trophy
Jeff(2) - assist trophy
Kawasima(2) - assist trophy
King K.Rool(2) -playable
Lip(2) - Mii costume
Lucas(2) - playable
Mega Man(2) -playable
Oguma(2) - spirit
Ouendan(2) - spirit
Sukapon(2) -assist trophy

Of the 22 here, 11 are now playable, 6 are assist trophies, and 1 is a Mii costume (Lip is a Japanese exclusive character after all). This leaves 4 who are currently just spirits. Let's see who they are:

Deimru/Demille- hero of Tomato Adventure, Alpha Dream's first game. A Japanese exclusive and now dead franchise.

Oguma- Lady Caeda's personal body guard in Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. Must be a favorite of Sakurai's.

Ouedan- the cheer squad that had two games and inspired the Western Elite Beat Agents. Japanese exclusives and a dead franchise.

Finally, there's Geno and, Holy Hell does he stick out when you compare him to the three others. This has been my TED Talk; thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Lightspeed97

Smash Cadet
I think the Everyone is Here aspect is important to analyze because people have noted that Sakurai has implemented characters and ideas in this game that he's been holding on to since Melee. One such thing is "Sakurai's Journal." Following Brawl's announcement at E3 06, Sakurai posted a sort of suggestion box on the Smash Bros Dojo site. In it people could suggest a character, suggest music, or just give a shout out to him or the staff developing Brawl. For some reason, Sakurai picked 290 of these suggestions to display on the site. When it came to posts about particular characters, this is how it broke down:

King Dedede(5)
Diddy Kong(4)
Geno(4) (technically 5 because one post goes at length about Beware the Forest's Mushrooms and SMRPG in general)
Ike(4) -
Ridley(4)
Krystal(3)
Takamaru(3)
Windwaker Link(3)
Animal Crossing MC(2) -
Claus(2)
Demiru(2)
Isaac(2)
Jeff(2)
Kawasima(2)
King K.Rool(2)
Lip(2)
Lucas(2)
Mega Man(2)
Oguma(2)
Ouendan(2)
Sukapon(2)

Fairly interesting, isn't it? 12.5 years later and many of these characters are still well liked. Let's see where they are in Ultimate:

Diddy Kong(4) - playable
Ike(4) - playable
Ridley(4) -playable
Demiru(2) -spirit
Isaac(2) -assist trophy
Jeff(2) - assist trophy
King K.Rool(2) -playable
Lip(2) - Mii costume
Lucas(2) - playable
Mega Man(2) -playable
Oguma(2) - spirit
Ouendan(2) - spirit

Of the 22 here, 11 are now playable, 6 are assist trophies, and 1 is a Mii costume (Lip is a Japanese exclusive character after all). This leaves 4 who are currently just spirits. Let's see who they are:

Deimru/Demille- hero of Tomato Adventure, Alpha Dream's first game. A Japanese exclusive and now dead franchise.

Oguma- Lady Caeda's personal body guard in Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. Must be a favorite of Sakurai's.

Ouedan- the cheer squad that had two games and inspired the Western Elite Beat Agents. Japanese exclusives and a dead franchise.

Finally, there's Geno and, Holy Hell does he stick out when you compare him to the three others. This has been my TED Talk; thanks for reading.
He's in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Combining all the tweets about the VGA that mention Ultimate and the French Train Station empty slot, I won't get my hopes up too much, but it is really suspicious....

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Diddy Kong(4)
- playable
Geno(4) - spirit (currently) / Mii costume (Smash 4)
Ike(4) - playable
Ridley(4) -playable
Captain Olimar & Pikmin(3)
-playable

Animal Crossing MC(2)
-playable
Demiru(2) -spirit
Isaac(2) -assist trophy
Jeff(2) - assist trophy

King K.Rool(2) -playable
Lip(2) - Mii costume
Lucas(2) - playable
Mega Man(2) -playable

Oguma(2) - spirit
Ouendan(2) - spirit

Playable | Assist | Mii Costume / Alt | Spirit

As someone that started rooting for Geno in Brawl, my mind always returns to this list. I thought I'd color-code it for extra emphasis lol. It's even more striking if you look at just the top ten:

Diddy Kong(4)
- playable
Geno(4) - spirit (currently) / Mii costume (Smash 4)
Ike(4) - playable
Ridley(4) -playable
Captain Olimar & Pikmin(3)
-playable

Animal Crossing MC(2)
-playable

Within the top ten the spread is: 7 Playable, 2 Assist, 1 Spirit / Costume. Krystal was also considered as a playable fighter in Brawl, but was dropped for Wolf due to time constraints. If anything this reiterates the points Sakurai made about Geno. Sakurai wanted and tried to add Geno in Brawl because he felt that Geno was a perfect fit for Smash.

Ten years later, is Geno still that high on the list? Even if he was, is Square willing to budge? Those are questions that we're waiting to see answered. One thing that occurred to me last night is that Geno is one of (or possibly) the most iconic *Smash Bros.* characters that is not a playable fighter. Between the history, the support, the Mii Splash page, Sakurai's comments, and the legendary spirit, Geno has forced his way into Smash lore. It's pretty amazing, and the continued fan support is a major part of making that happen.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Something also to consider, Takamaru was considered to be playable for Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 but was turned down each time because he was a Japanese exclusive. He also has a Mii costume in Ultimate, carrying over from Smash 4. Continuing from owjies owjies analysis, this means that 8 of the top 10 are playable in Ultimate.

HMpoweredMan

Smash Cadet

King Dedede(5)
Diddy Kong(4)
Ike(4) -
Ridley(4)
Krystal(3)
Takamaru(3)
Windwaker Link(3)
Animal Crossing MC(2) -
Claus(2)
Demiru(2)
Isaac(2)
Jeff(2)
Kawasima(2)
King K.Rool(2)
Lip(2)
Lucas(2)
Mega Man(2)
Oguma(2)
Ouendan(2)
Sukapon(2)

Diddy Kong(4) - playable
Ike(4) - playable
Ridley(4) -playable
Demiru(2) -spirit
Isaac(2) -assist trophy
Jeff(2) - assist trophy
King K.Rool(2) -playable
Lip(2) - Mii costume
Lucas(2) - playable
Mega Man(2) -playable
Oguma(2) - spirit
Ouendan(2) - spirit

Yo fatman this level of speculation can't be healthy

D

Deleted member

Something also to consider, Takamaru was considered to be playable for Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 but was turned down each time because he was a Japanese exclusive. He also has a Mii costume in Ultimate, carrying over from Smash 4. Continuing from owjies owjies analysis, this means that 8 of the top 10 are playable in Ultimate.
And look what happens when we narrow the list down to top 5

And then top 3

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

King Dedede(5)
Diddy Kong(4)
Ike(4) -
Ridley(4)
Krystal(3)
Takamaru(3)
Windwaker Link(3)
Animal Crossing MC(2) -
Claus(2)
Demiru(2)
Isaac(2)
Jeff(2)
Kawasima(2)
King K.Rool(2)
Lip(2)
Lucas(2)
Mega Man(2)
Oguma(2)
Ouendan(2)
Sukapon(2)

Diddy Kong(4) - playable
Ike(4) - playable
Ridley(4) -playable
Demiru(2) -spirit
Isaac(2) -assist trophy
Jeff(2) - assist trophy
King K.Rool(2) -playable
Lip(2) - Mii costume
Lucas(2) - playable
Mega Man(2) -playable
Oguma(2) - spirit
Ouendan(2) - spirit

This entire thread of speculation is giving me anxiety, man.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yo fatman this level of speculation can't be healthy

Honestly, this was one of my strongest pieces of evidence for Brawl and it wound up being true: Geno was considered for the game. Granted, it took 8 years for that information to be made public and confirmed by Sakurai himself but it's notable because, as I showed earlier, all but four of these characters have notable appearances in Smash Ultimate more than a decade later, with Krystal, Sukapon, K. Rool, and Ridley finally crossing the proverbial finish line with this game.

D

Deleted member

Me when someone uses Geno's "irrelevancy" as an argument or says Ninten and Ness are the same person:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Incidentally, as we were discussing costume theory a little while ago...I found this in the Lloyd thread:
B14C9301-19AA-4D4E-BFB1-F6B13331DABB.jpeg

Turns out Heihachi is in Pac's taunt now. That had to be a deliberate consolation prize.

Another Smash for costume falls...

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
Me when someone uses Geno's "irrelevancy" as an argument or says Ninten and Ness are the same person:

Ice Climbers and Pit already made relevancy obsolete. Pit came from a dormant franchise that was 17 years old at the time and he got in Smash. I don't see what'd hurt the detractors if Geno got (i personally think that they'd want an other SE rep, which i understand, but only Square is to blame for that).

Last edited:

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
Add in: Kind of had an ephiphany on Tails yesterday during the Sephiroth discussions. I got into "who should have the honor of being the first third party secondary character in Smash" and I concluded that Sephiroth would be a hard sell for this. I then started to play around with my idea and concluded that, based on their presence in Smash and gaming culture, the Sonic series should probably have that honor and from there thought Tails (just as iconic as Mario/Luigi and Ryu/Ken) or Dr. Eggman (arguably the most iconic third party villain). Tails had a costume in Smash 4 and thus had usuable assets so he'd probably be the easier one to make a reality. Although the evidence isn't currently there for this, if this happened it wouldn't surprise me given this string of logic.
Agreed. I have always felt Tails was a strong contender to rep Sega in Smash. I do not doubt that Shadow edges (pun intended) out Tails on popularity and that Shadow could likely make the jump from AT to echo, but aside from Luigi (and now Ken), Tails is the other historically important "player 2."

I see Tails getting in before any 3rd party villain, such as Sephiroth, Eggman, and Wily for example.

Of course, Sega owns Atlus, so speculating on a promotional Shin Megami Tensei V character would make sense. However, not much/enough is known about the game, let alone it's release, to warrant major consideration. Assuming Sakurai is not a massive Streets of Rage or Golden Axe fan, then I think it's safe to assume Tails is actually a respectable frontrunner in DLC speculation this cycle.

Assuming we get all third parties, Geno, BK, Lloyd, Monster Hunter, and Tails would be a pretty bright timeline. Although, I do think Rayman, Ryu Hayabusa, and Doomguy are potential wildcards.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Incidentally, as we were discussing costume theory a little while ago...I found this in the Lloyd thread:View attachment 181829
Turns out Heihachi is in Pac's taunt now. That had to be a deliberate consolation prize.

Leaving Geno, Lloyd, Monster Hunter, and Jacky. It's interesting because these all represent different third parties (Square Enix, Namco, Capcom, and SEGA respectively) and the first three have been hinted as DLC behind the scenes in varying degrees.

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
On a sidenote, the VGAs will be live at mid-night for me and i have 2 final tests tomorrow, so i won't be tuning in. I'm not expecting a DLC fighter and if there is one, i doubt it's the SE rep. Anyways, have a good day/evening/night!

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Leaving Geno, Lloyd, Monster Hunter, and Jacky. It's interesting because these all represent different third parties (Square Enix, Namco, Capcom, and SEGA respectively) and the first three have been hinted as DLC behind the scenes in varying degrees.
It feels like the pieces are falling into place...

Not sure about Jacky, though. Virtua Fighter is apparently a big deal, however. I just looked it up, and the original's apparently on permanent display in the Smithsonian??? Crazy. I had never heard of it before Smash.
Agreed. I have always felt Tails was a strong contender to rep Sega in Smash. I do not doubt that Shadow edges (pun intended) out Tails on popularity and that Shadow could likely make the jump from AT to echo, but aside from Luigi (and now Ken), Tails is the other historically important "player 2."

I see Tails getting in before any 3rd party villain, such as Sephiroth, Eggman, and Wily for example.

Of course, Sega owns Atlus, so speculating on a promotional Shin Megami Tensei V character would make sense. However, not much/enough is known about the game, let alone it's release, to warrant major consideration. Assuming Sakurai is not a massive Streets of Rage or Golden Axe fan, then I think it's safe to assume Tails is actually a respectable frontrunner in DLC speculation this cycle.

Assuming we get all third parties, Geno, BK, Lloyd, Monster Hunter, and Tails would be a pretty bright timeline. Although, I do think Rayman, Ryu Hayabusa, and Doomguy are potential wildcards.
Oh god, I love that timeline. I'm not sure we can do better, unless they managed to work Isaac in somehow. But that would definitely sell the fighter pass to me.

Edit: Ah frick...Bandana Dee. Forgot about him. I'm a terrible Bdee supporter...:ohwell:

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I feel like we're gonna get at least one 1st party especially if Sakurai stated he wants to focus on franchises already present in Smash. That and Nintendo choosing just third parties is weird to me.

Last edited:

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
Incidentally, as we were discussing costume theory a little while ago...I found this in the Lloyd thread:View attachment 181829

Also, an additional and somewhat noteworthy update is that The Prince of All Cosmos is in Pac-Man's taunt as well according to the SmashWiki. While not a major contender (I thought he would be a fitting addition though), this does prove rather good for Lloyd assuming these taunt appearances are deconfirmations.

My confidence is really starting to grow for these Mii costume promotions, and as a result, Geno.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Virtua Fighter was pretty much the first true 3D fighting game. As the Akira assist trophy shows, the original has aged horrifically. It's ugly and the controls were notoriously clunky, with Akira being the worst character by a wide margin. Jacky is now the main character of the series and has even had crossovers with Sonic in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom