• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

But if we've used this patient strategy for ten years; taking whatever scraps Square gives us, and they STILL don't give us what we want in SMASH ULTIMATE..... Like, who's to say it'll ever happen? Square seems more than complacent to just stay in it's current position, mayyyyyyybe shill out one of their latest anime sword fighters, if we're lucky enough. But it will be DLC; of course. So that's why our course of action needs to change. We keep trying to walk through a goddamn brick wall, hoping it'll work if we try a couple thousand more times. If they deny us what we want again: CALL. SQUARE. Do NOT buy their dragon quest character.
Again, respectful, and firm. Think about it this way: the moment you start getting nasty, it's game over. Square Enix and Nintendo have shut you out. You lose. Is this what you want to happen? It will happen if we go this way. You can try it, but it is going to fail. Horribly. If we are polite, it will, like SSGuy SSGuy said, give us more props from daddy Sakurai. We will be firm, but respectful. The moment you start getting nasty, it's game over. Even if SE tempts you this much, you have to be able to resist. If you give in, you will prove to them that you overreact and can't campaign in the most polite way possible

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Again, respectful, and firm. Think about it this way: the moment you start getting nasty, it's game over. Square Enix and Nintendo have shut you out. You lose. Is this what you want to happen? It will happen if we go this way. You can try it, but it is going to fail. Horribly. If we are polite, it will, like SSGuy SSGuy said, give us more props from daddy Sakurai. We will be firm, but respectful. The moment you start getting nasty, it's game over. Even if SE tempts you this much, you have to be able to resist. If you give in, you will prove to them that you overreact and can't campaign in the most polite way possible
Do we have any EVIDENCE Nintendo just shuts us out? From what I recall; Reggie passed along to Sakurai himself how much Waluigi was wanted amidst backlash. If anything; I'd say evidence SUPPORTS this being effective.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Did I ever say go to the level of some extreme Waluigi fans? No. But it's BLATANT what we're doing is far too soft. Don't even attack Nintendo, that makes sense to me. But we have nothing to lose by complaining to Square Enix.
To be fair supposedly Waluigi and Isaac fans apparently called NoA to complain about those characters not getting in and apparently Nintendo took notice. That honestly sounds super cringey to me, but really would it be that awful if people called up NoA and made a case for Geno over the phone? People wouldn't even have to be upset or rude. We could just make a case for him and why he'd be good for future DLC.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
To be fair supposedly Waluigi and Isaac fans apparently called NoA to complain about those characters not getting in and apparently Nintendo took notice. That honestly sounds super cringey to me, but really would it be that awful if people called up NoA and made a case for Geno over the phone? People wouldn't even have to be upset or rude. We could just make a case for him and why he'd be good for future DLC.
This is exactly what I'm saying! Be plenty respectful to Nintendo! The bad guy's here are Square. They are who the disappointment should be directed at.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
This ^ ^ ^
There is no need to do the "Customer Service" call on them IF Geno does not get in.

Thinking on it, we could always do an "Action speaks louder than words" movement if we wanted. Of course, in a respectful manner.

I could honestly see a lot of people here getting behind that.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
This ^ ^ ^
There is no need to do the "Customer Service" call on them IF Geno does not get in.

Thinking on it, we could always do an "Action speaks louder than words" movement if we wanted. Of course, in a respectful manner.

I could honestly see a lot of people here getting behind that.
Exactly, some sort of coordinated effort, kinda like the K. Rool Kampaign. I mean we already have two YouTubers on our team.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more exciting I think this idea could be. It sounds like there's a lot of talent in this thread: artists, musicians, filmmakers, writers, event planners are among the skills I remember reading. I'm a video editor, and I'd be happy to to lend a hand as well. Could be a fun group project.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Good night everyone, remember to never give up on our star boy, no matter what the circumstances :)

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Man; I wish I could be as optimistic as some of you guy's. I've been on geno since the smash four dlc period; how did you guy's make it so long without cracking? You've got literally the most odd's coming against you out of any fanbase.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
If we don't get Geno as DLC, it's going to be much harder to try for again. Square's presence in Smash seems tenuous at best, and if they're not on board with having the likes of Cloud come back, I doubt there going to let Geno in when they're biggest character won't be in. That's why I think so much of his chances ride on this DLC. There's a "Now or Never" sort of air to the situation, and I think that's pretty accurate. If we get Square back next game, then things change. But that looks less likely every time we learn new information and see their involvement with the game.

I get the fact that people are going to be upset if he doesn't get in. You should voice your opinions on that matter. But saying, "Our cries go on deaf ears, so we have to do more aggressive stuff" just isn't going to end well for anybody involved. We already get lumped in among the most "obnoxious" communities by detractors. Being aggressively loud and annoying will not only increase that view, but may even turn parts of the community against us that are more neutral right now. I'm not saying do nothing when I say this, but let's be calm and collected with how we decide to proceed in that event.

And directing disappointment at Square might as well be shouting at a wall. They're all too well versed in dealing with frustrated fans, and if anyone is going to look upon us negatively for our actions in the event he isn't revealed on a larger corporate level, it's going to be Square.

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
Man; I wish I could be as optimistic as some of you guy's. I've been on geno since the smash four dlc period; how did you guy's make it so long without cracking? You've got literally the most odd's coming against you out of any fanbase.
Well I can't speak for everyone, but this goes for anything in life, so I'll put it like this

It doesn't matter how many times you fall, but how many times you get up. The ones who quit are the ones who fail, so keep moving forward

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
If we miss the boat yet again for DLC, I'm thinking we might wanna take a page out of the Isaac fans' book and try to campaign for a new SMRPG instead. I mean, if the thing holding him back is lack of relevancy/marketing potential, what better way to put that issue to bed than with a new game, right?

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Passion and vociferousness are one thing, but the moment we get nasty is the moment where Nintendo and Square stop taking us seriously. Being firm, as AugustusB suggested, tenacious, and coordinated is how you build a solid campaign.
This.
I repeat; politeness has gotten Smash fanbases NOWHERE. It would be nice if we could do it the respectful way; but Nintendo isn't showing it's customers the same respect back.
Also, it's OKAY to be disappointed, just don't show disgust, always show some respect. I didn't like Isabelle nor Incineroar, but I still welcomed them. Was I still disappointed? Yes. Was I disrespectful or ungrateful about it? No. Also, one more thing, everyone.

Disappointment ≠ Ungrateful

People are confusing the hell out of these two words. Ignore those hypocrites on YouTube that says, "Oh, you're so ungrateful for not wanting [this character] in Smash! Grow a pair!" You have the right to state your opinion on the newcomers, whether you like them or not. I'm still disappointed in the November Smash Direct but not ungrateful, there were still a lot of things that got me excited! (Ken, Spirits, World of Light, etc.) I always keep myself up by being aware that I have my Young Link, Snake, and favorite Melee & Brawl stages returning in Smash after so long. There's countless hours of gameplay, and I doubt I'd care about the disappointment at that point... I mean, the last game where I had over 1,000+ hours was on Halo Reach, games that give us over a thousand hours of gameplay satisfy everyone, and that's basically what Smash Ultimate will have; I'm definitely going to have over a thousand hours played on Smash Ultimate because there's SO much to do.

All you need to do is not lash out if Geno gets in or doesn't. I was happy we AT LEAST got something of Geno in Smash 3DS/Wii U, and I'm happy he's even in this game at all... this still gives me hope for Geno because SAKURAI CAN use him!

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
Since snakes reveal in brawl i was hoping and begging for Geno. I won't give up on him either. I'd give up half the roster.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
If we miss the boat yet again for DLC, I'm thinking we might wanna take a page out of the Isaac fans' book and try to campaign for a new SMRPG instead. I mean, if the thing holding him back is lack of relevancy/marketing potential, what better way to put that issue to bed than with a new game, right?
I personally find this route to be a lot more long winded; but clearly the idea resonates with some people. I'd still suggest calling Square, myself.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Perspective I'd say. Focusing on the positives, such as Sakurai's comments about Geno, SNES Classic, Legendary Spirit, etc. Understanding that because I'm super passionate about Geno other people are super passionate about their characters. Recognizing what we have control over and what we don't, and making the most of what we can control. This frame of mind helps me just kinda enjoy the ride and not get too excited or too pessimistic.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I've just always been an optimistic person that usually ignores hate and looks at as many positives as possible lol.

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
Hi guys, stopping by from the Isaac thread. Not a new face or anything per say, but I really hope Geno makes it in and all I can say is to never give up on him nor for his chances no matter what detractors may tell you.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Hi guys, stopping by from the Isaac thread. Not a new face or anything per say, but I really hope Geno makes it in and all I can say is to never give up on him nor for his chances no matter what detractors may tell you.
Same to you, my dude! Push for that wave 2, we all might end up having to.

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
Same to you, my dude! Push for that wave 2, we all might end up having to.
Hopefully you guys won't have to all things considered (after all Sakurai does know the requests and what not for Geno so that's always a plus)! I would like for a wave 2 down the line ( with AT upgrades of course), but many of us from the Isaac thread, including myself, are pushing for a new Golden Sun game atm.

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
Thanks man! Never give up trying to get a new GS game if anyone can do it, it's you guys.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
We need to let both companies know that not only this character, but THIS GAME means a lot to people and hopefully it can start a revival movement for the series as a whole.

IF Geno does not get in, I think this would be the best course. Respectful, but firm.

EDIT: A.G.L. A.G.L. I am taking this picture as my own now lol.
Glad you liked the picture my friend, it looks great as your avatar.

I agree with you, as I have stated before on the General thread. If Geno does not make it in Smash, Geno fans should start a petition to get Square to sell Geno and all his assets to Nintendo. Its is not fair for Square to have him and do nothing with him, when he has so many loyal fans. I believe Nintendo could do so much with Geno if he was a Nintendo character. I mean he's a Mario character after all. That means he could be in the next Mario & Luigi RPG. He could be in Mario Kart, Tennis, Golf, Soccer etc. I really think if Square does not listen this time Geno fans should start a change.org petition and get as many signatures as they can. We know Square is hurting right now for money as they lost 33 million and Tabata. And the Just Cause reviews are not stellar, so they might lose even more. This might make them desperate enough to sell Geno to Nintendo. So like you say respectful, but firm is the way to win.

This is just one way though, if Geno gets a remastered game. Then he may likely be in if not this game the next.

I just wanted to throw this out there as a possibility, because if Geno was a Nintendo character his chances for the next Smash would be really high.

Last edited:

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
I personally find this route to be a lot more long winded; but clearly the idea resonates with some people. I'd still suggest calling Square, myself.
“Hello this is square customer support”

“Yes hi I would like to complain about geno not being in smash bros, it’s your fault and here are my reasons”

The poor, underpaid person who answers that phone

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm very confused about your assessment of the game. How was Box Theory a turn for the stupid and absurd?

And what claims and future of Smash are you worried about exactly?

On another note, I hear the busy times. It's finals at my college and I've got so much writing to do, yet here I am all the same. Remember to take care of yourselves during this potentially stressful time. If that's coming to post here, great. If it's actually playing Ultimate, us that free time wisely and maybe take an extra couple matches to enjoy haha.
Having Incineroar, Ken, and Piranha Plant as the last three reveals is a stupid and absurd decision in most situations. Having those three be the last reveals after a month of radio silence is even more stupid and absurd. Having those three be the last reveals after interviews where Sakurai spoke of the ballot’s influence in newcomers, even more so. Having all that, plus a 40-minute Direct that was, by most accounts, dreadfully boring and filled with inane stuff like several names for Villager?

Nintendo set themselves up for failure with their marketing, it’s really embarrassing.

When I speak about the future of Smash, I’m mainly referring to Sakurai’s recent interview about Piranha Plant. While it might just be PR talk, his reference to characters having to be recognizable and well-known, plus other stuff like the fact that he apparently will save a spot for Pokémon no matter what, speaks about a character selection criteria that’s basically what’s relevant and new + Sakurai picks, fans be damned. I don’t know about you, but that doesn’t seem like a good or hopeful prospect for the future. If every roster is going to be like Smash 4’s... damn.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Lol I have been summoned, my immediate thought was summoning jutsu GoeGoe GoeGoe .

Its hard to say what will happen when Square is involved. Had Geno been in the hands of another company, I don't think it would be this hard to see what will happen. Or this hard to pin point who the rep is.

If Verg proves false I can see Neku as a possibility, as I still think it makes sense both Square and Bandai Namco will get two reps, just like all the others. Lol Slime, we've already talk about that enough to know where we each stand on that. Thanks for answering the summoning good buddy.
You're welcome. Any time... I'll call it GoeGoe no Jutsu X)

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
“Hello this is square customer support”

“Yes hi I would like to complain about geno not being in smash bros, it’s your fault and here are my reasons”

The poor, underpaid person who answers that phone
Of course I know who will be at fault (Square) if Geno doesn’t make it, but I’ll be grateful for what I have and use the characters I don’t like as punching bags, but I won’t annoy them about him not making it in if Geno doesn’t show up.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
When I speak about the future of Smash, I’m mainly referring to Sakurai’s recent interview about Piranha Plant. While it might just be PR talk, his reference to characters having to be recognizable and well-known, plus other stuff like the fact that he apparently will save a spot for Pokémon no matter what, speaks about a character selection criteria that’s basically what’s relevant and new + Sakurai picks, fans be damned. I don’t know about you, but that doesn’t seem like a good or hopeful prospect for the future. If every roster is going to be like Smash 4’s... damn.
Maybe it’s because I’m tired, but I’m confused about that last bit. Ultimate’s roster is exactly Smash 4’s but with more characters. And I thought Smash 4 added some neato fighters. What do you mean?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Maybe it’s because I’m tired, but I’m confused about that last bit. Ultimate’s roster is exactly Smash 4’s but with more characters. And I thought Smash 4 added some neato fighters. What do you mean?
I mean the criteria for selecting newcomers, not the roster itself. While I do think 4 has some neat character choices, there are also some baffling ones, and it was almost completely geared towards games and characters with the recency argument.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Having Incineroar, Ken, and Piranha Plant as the last three reveals is a stupid and absurd decision in most situations. Having those three be the last reveals after a month of radio silence is even more stupid and absurd. Having those three be the last reveals after interviews where Sakurai spoke of the ballot’s influence in newcomers, even more so. Having all that, plus a 40-minute Direct that was, by most accounts, dreadfully boring and filled with inane stuff like several names for Villager?

Nintendo set themselves up for failure with their marketing, it’s really embarrassing.

I'll certainly agree that the final Direct was far longer than it needed to be, had too many deconfirms that had been saved to the last minute, and didn't live up to the quality of the other Directs. That doesn't make it stupid and absurd. A little tone deaf and classic Nintendo over-explaining? Sure. Your not going to please everyone with character reveals every time, and they clearly got more excited about revealing certain ones earlier. It was a misstep in how the reveals were done, but people were going to complain no matter when Incineroar got revealed I'll guarantee. A lot of the disappointment was self-created as people either believed the Grinch leak or convinced themselves that Sakurai's (almost complete) transparency about reveals was somehow him trolling or setting up for a big final reveal. He pointed out that the languages were big things to some people, and I think showing off all the languages there was a nice little moment for fans of different countries and multilingual backgrounds. That particularly moment gets harped on, and I think it's a short enough, but important segment to where it deserves none of it. Help moments were problematic, and so was the amount of time spent on Spirits though.

It was a marketing misstep and led to disappointment, but it wasn't a complete failure.

The "fans be damned" narrative is bull**** though. When you look at the ballot and what characters were placing prior to it and during, here's the list of characters in the game with a presence by fan ballots:

-King K. Rool
-Ridley
-Inkling
-Wolf
-Snake
-Ice Climbers
-Bayonetta
-Cloud
-Daisy
-Chrom
-Dark Samus
-Pichu
-Young Link (Yep these last two had fans as well).

That's a lot of characters. Then consider just how big of a deal returning all the characters really is. Mewtwo, Roy, and Lucas all had extremely high requests to return going into Smash 4's DLC season, and they were realized. Returning veterans dominated a ton of ballots and that meant a priority to return everyone. That "Everyone is Here" is the ballot at work, and I really hate how people discredit that moment. Characters like Simon Belmont had some popularity in the community as well, Isabelle was a super popular new character in general as well. The only new character that was a more advertisement based one was Incineroar. And he's spoke openly about wanting to include a wrestler. Then Piranha Plant is a neat idea come to life.

He didn't hit every major newcomer request along the way, but he sure as hell didn't say "fans be damned." We really need to stop with that particular narrative. And that's not even mentioning all of the other fan service in the game...

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully you guys won't have to all things considered (after all Sakurai does know the requests and what not for Geno so that's always a plus)! I would like for a wave 2 down the line ( with AT upgrades of course), but many of us from the Isaac thread, including myself, are pushing for a new Golden Sun game atm.
I think they go pretty much hand in hand. I'm thinking that they have to see the demand for Isaac as a good incentive to revive the series (I feel like Switch remasters for the original duology would be great) and of course that would be a good reason to get him in the game. So either way it's a great development for him.

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I'm still putting Geno at a 50/50. I just have no idea whats going to happen and in order to protect my heart, I'm going to be cautiously optimistic about him. There's so much going for him, but also so much going against him. He's truly my underdog pick and if he got in, I'm writing Sakurai and Nintendo a freaking letter.

I doubt we're getting a DLC announcement tomorrow, but if it is, still think it's gonna be Bandanna Dee lmao.

Last edited:

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
I don't know if someone's brought this up before, but going off of the info about the Isaac backlash I just realized something that might work in Geno's favor.
Since Nintendo seems to be under the impression that Assist Trophies are a good consolation price for not being fighters, why isn't Geno one?
Akira was previously a costume and got bumped up to an Assist this time around and they have the rights to Geno when it comes to cameos (since the spirit is there)
And if Square is being stingy with FF, why not include Geno as the Square Assist instead?

The only thing we as a community seem to agree on when it comes to deconfirms is that an Assist is a death sentence.
And while I don't think this is enough to conclude that Geno will in fact be playable, I think it would at least line up with him being considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom