• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
Probably going to hold off on my big theorycraft post. Nothing new has come up, I'm just dragging *** this week. My wife and I are event coordinators for a local animal shelter and I've done two by myself days back to back with another tomorrow. It's "Hell Week" at the local University that I work at so we're trying to give the college students some stress relief by setting up cat play rooms. Three events, three days, three locations. Lots of driving and wrangling of cats. I already wake up at 3 for work and pretty much go straight into prepping the events once I get off. With Smash news unlikely at the VGAs, there's no huge rush anyway. Sorry, I'm running on coffee and 3 hours of sleep a night this week. I thought I'd just say this because I know a lot of you were asking.
Hey man, I’m an events coordinator too, that’s cool. Mines for a hotel convention center

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I think blindsided is completely the right term. Yeah, it was leaked (through a text post on GameFAQs), but it’s normal to feel surprised by reality when reality takes a turn for the stupid and absurd.

And while November 1st didn’t take away the awesomeness that was August 8th and Everyone is Here, it certainly places them in a different light. Not to mention many of Sakurai’s claims, and the future of Smash as a whole.
I'm very confused about your assessment of the game. How was Box Theory a turn for the stupid and absurd?

And what claims and future of Smash are you worried about exactly?

On another note, I hear the busy times. It's finals at my college and I've got so much writing to do, yet here I am all the same. Remember to take care of yourselves during this potentially stressful time. If that's coming to post here, great. If it's actually playing Ultimate, us that free time wisely and maybe take an extra couple matches to enjoy haha.

D

Deleted member

Btw, just going to put this out there: if Geno gets in as DLC, I will legit have a star pie made to celebrate. With 7, differently-colored stars on top. Made of melted and molded Starburst. I'd say the filling would be starfruit too, but I've never tried that, so maybe not, lol.

But yeah, I've got a bakery hookup, so I can make this happen. I will serve you all a (virtual) slice...when the time comes.

And for the record...my perfect Sunday is playing Smash. With Geno in it. Obviously.
Is this true PhilosophicAnimal PhilosophicAnimal do you have this amazing pie of which legends in the starry sky speak of? You officially have my curiosity peaked. I wonder if it would go good with sea salt ice cream. That way you have Geno and Sora mixing together in deserts. I would say a FF15 food, but its mostly cup noodle lol.
Yes it is! I quoted PhilosophicAnimal PhilosophicAnimal 's post about the Geno pie :)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
As one who wants both Geno and Sora, I hope our fanbases can settle in peace if one of them gets in over the other.

I really do not want this Square DLC debacle to end in complete despair. :(

I think all of the seven Square character fanbases should unite together, hold each other's hands, and hope for the best.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Is this true PhilosophicAnimal PhilosophicAnimal do you have this amazing pie of which legends in the starry sky speak of? You officially have my curiosity peaked. I wonder if it would go good with sea salt ice cream. That way you have Geno and Sora mixing together in deserts. I would say a FF15 food, but its mostly cup noodle lol.
Yes it is! I quoted PhilosophicAnimal PhilosophicAnimal 's post about the Geno pie :)
Ah shucks, I was busy and you beat me to it,@Zack E.! But yes, the pie is a thing. A glorious, sugary thing that may cause blood glucose issues. Already drafting up a recipe. Honestly, I may just make it anyway, Geno reveal or no. I feel like I should honor our star boi and how far he's come, as well as our thread. And all you lovely people in it.:)

Speaking of which...happy 500 pages guys!! Can't believe I missed the big moment...darn it all. Wednesday's my board game group night, so I'm always busy then. But it's still amazing the progress this thread has made in such a short time. I'm honored to be a part of this community!

Honestly? I'm kinda glad we've got a whole speculation season to keep talking about Smash. I thought it'd be torture, but I'm getting used to visiting here every day and chatting it up with you Genobros. I don't wanna wait to have Geno revealed to keep the community alive, though, so let's hope we get a social thread soon.;)
Probably going to hold off on my big theorycraft post. Nothing new has come up, I'm just dragging *** this week. My wife and I are event coordinators for a local animal shelter and I've done two by myself days back to back with another tomorrow. It's "Hell Week" at the local University that I work at so we're trying to give the college students some stress relief by setting up cat play rooms. Three events, three days, three locations. Lots of driving and wrangling of cats. I already wake up at 3 for work and pretty much go straight into prepping the events once I get off. With Smash news unlikely at the VGAs, there's no huge rush anyway. Sorry, I'm running on coffee and 3 hours of sleep a night this week. I thought I'd just say this because I know a lot of you were asking.
Wait...so you're a cat therapist as well, Fatman? What can't you do?

That does sound like some good stress relief, though. Can we get some of those cats in the thread? Lol

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Yeah. I mean I think for a lot of people, it wasn't who the last two characters were, but all the characters that were killed like Issac. At least from what I've seen.

There really is some questionable things too like you said. With Chrom, I've been guessing it was just a last minute echo where they took the final Smash model from Robin last minute. That's why Robin's final smash isn't changed. I get why, but it's still weird they didn't replace him with someone else.

With the codec, didn't the Japanese voice actor for Campbell die? That's probably why. I'm happy the codec are back, but it's funny that Snake still thinks he's in Brawl lol

I agree though, there is definitely some things that could be touched up besides these, but overall I'd still say it's a great package

Edit: congrats on 500!
I'm hoping these are all things that can be fixed with patches? In particular; I know nothing about FE; but doesn't Robin turn into a bad guy? I thought that could maybe be a cool new final smash.... maybe change Daisy's into somthing more unique? I suppose I'm being a bit picky in this regard; but I do think they blemish the overall whole of the product a little bit.

Happy late 500 btw! Is this enough Papa Sakurai? Did we show Geno could sell yet?

Last edited:

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
already did. I'm pretty sure I saw someone using a version of it as their avatar, which is always gratifying, though I consider this the definitive version of it.

sorry for the out of place and late response, but i just saw this and wanted to thank you for making such a wonderful piece of art! I had been wondering for the longest time who made that since I saw the avatar, I love the seeming gurren lagaan influence, makes it pop so much more!

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I've been thinking it over; and what I think we need to do is come up with a plan if Geno DOESN'T get in. Be it flood square with disapproval or whatever, we need to send home that they made the wrong choice.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I've been thinking it over; and what I think we need to do is come up with a plan if Geno DOESN'T get in. Be it flood square with disapproval or whatever, we need to send home that they made the wrong choice.
We need to let both companies know that not only this character, but THIS GAME means a lot to people and hopefully it can start a revival movement for the series as a whole.

IF Geno does not get in, I think this would be the best course. Respectful, but firm.

EDIT: A.G.L. A.G.L. I am taking this picture as my own now lol.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
As one who wants both Geno and Sora, I hope our fanbases can settle in peace if one of them gets in over the other.

I really do not want this Square DLC debacle to end in complete despair. :(

I think all of the seven Square character fanbases should unite together, hold each other's hands, and hope for the best.
I agree, we should all unite
Against the steve fanbase

TBone06

Smash Ace
It the most polite way possible. It's okay to be disappointed, but being a jerk to them will do nothing. If they get enough word that we all do want Geno, and can do it in a decent manner, I think it bodes better than flaming them with insults and profanities.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
We need to let both companies know that not only this character, but THIS GAME means a lot to people and hopefully it can start a revival movement for the series as a whole.

IF Geno does not get in, I think this would be the best course. Respectful, but firm.

EDIT: A.G.L. A.G.L. I am taking this picture as my own now lol.
Honestly being respectful didn't work for the Isaac's. So frankly; I think boycott's should perhaps be put into place, vocalness should not beat around the bushes, etc. Square's putting us in a situation to play hardball.
Hell: even call them. Drummed up attention for Waluigi AND Isaac.

D

Deleted member

It the most polite way possible. It's okay to be disappointed, but being a jerk to them will do nothing. If they get enough word that we all do want Geno, and can do it in a decent manner, I think it bodes better than flaming them with insults and profanities.
I agree with this. We should make our voices heard, but we should also be polite

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I repeat; politeness has gotten Smash fanbases NOWHERE. It would be nice if we could do it the respectful way; but Nintendo isn't showing it's customers the same respect back.

D

Deleted member

I repeat; politeness has gotten Smash fanbases NOWHERE. It would be nice if we could do it the respectful way; but Nintendo isn't showing it's customers the same respect back.
Being jerks isn't going to get us anywhere, I can guarantee you. We just need to make our voices heard. Even if they don't listen to us politely, it's even more certain that they won't listen to us if we are jerks. The best we can do is make our voices heard politely

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So, everyone... on a scale of 1-10 or in percentage, how high do you think the Square characters' chances are?
Being revealed at the VGA's? I would say 3 out of 10.

Overall? 11 out of 10 will happen. The fact Cloud got back in the game without them using DLC as there money net. We WILL see Square Rep soon enough.

EDIT: I get what you mean now lol.
Honestly...No one is guaranteed or likely than the other. That is my scale lol

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Being jerks isn't going to get us anywhere, I can guarantee you. We just need to make our voices heard. Even if they don't listen to us politely, it's even more certain that they won't listen to us if we are jerks. The best we can do is make our voices heard politely
Being polite just makes it easier for Square to ignore us. They'll buy any trashy JRPG character we shovel on them! Screw their crusty old wooden doll; that's not marketable!

D

Deleted member

Being polite just makes it easier for Square to ignore us. They'll buy any trashy JRPG character we shovel on them! Screw their crusty old wooden doll; that's not marketable!
We be can be polite AND make our voices heard. It is certainly better than being violent and making threats. That is only going to make us look bad. If we can make our voices heard politely, then they will know that we are patient, kind Geno fans

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Passion and vociferousness are one thing, but the moment we get nasty is the moment where Nintendo and Square stop taking us seriously. Being firm, as AugustusB suggested, tenacious, and coordinated is how you build a solid campaign.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
As much as I want Geno there's a tiny part of me that wants the SE rep to end up being King Mickey just to see the fallout on this thread and elsewhere. It would be the anti-Ridley/K. Rool.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
We be can be polite AND make our voices heard. It is certainly better than being violent and making threats. That is only going to make us look bad. If we can make our voices heard politely, then they will know that we are patient, kind Geno fans
Bein "soft hearted and kind" doesn't mean squat to multi billion companies. They want "MONEY". And if we refuse to take their JPRG characters and the racists bigot's tunes that come along with it; they'll make wiser investments. THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON SINCE 2008. T E N Y E A R S. Ten years we've used this strategy! And it got us NOWHERE. Why? Cause we rolled over and took it from Square.

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
I'm hoping these are all things that can be fixed with patches? In particular; I know nothing about FE; but doesn't Robin turn into a bad guy? I thought that could maybe be a cool new final smash.... maybe change Daisy's into somthing more unique? I suppose I'm being a bit picky in this regard; but I do think they blemish the overall whole of the product a little bit.

Happy late 500 btw! Is this enough Papa Sakurai? Did we show Geno could sell yet?
Yeah that's what a lot of people thought I think

Spoilers in case anyone cares

I think your talking about Grima. That would've been cool to have Robin submit, but more than likely if they patch it they'll keep pair up and replace Chrom with say Tharja or Morgan (I know you've never played Fire Emblem but those would probably be the most likely picks to replace Chrom if they did patch. They probably won't though.)

I feel like resources are going to be put into other things, so I doubt Sakurai is going to take the time to change something small like that in a patch unfortunately. Same goes for other ones you mentioned. At the end of the day though, they're minor, so it's not the end of the world.

Also yeah, if they don't put Geno in you gotta let them know. Just don't be obnoxious about it lol

D

Deleted member

Bein "soft hearted and kind" doesn't mean squat to multi billion companies. They want "MONEY". And if we refuse to take their JPRG characters and the racists bigot's tunes that come along with it; they'll make wiser investments. THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON SINCE 2008. T E N Y E A R S. Ten years we've used this strategy! And it got us NOWHERE. Why? Cause we rolled over and took it from Square.
Being polite is the best we can do. Like owjies owjies said, we start getting nasty, we won't be taken seriously anymore. Even if we haven't been heard yet, we will only make it worse by becoming hostile. We will be more vocal, but polite. It's like a test. If you can make your voices heard politely, then you have passed. If you start getting hostile, it will make you look bad, Nintendo and SE won't take you seriously, and you have failed the test. If it hasn't worked in the past, we don't give up. We keep trying. That is what a lot of people in this Geno thread have been doing with Geno. They are patient, and they will keep trying. They will not give up, and so will I

Last edited by a moderator:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
As much as I want Geno there's a tiny part of me that wants to SE rep the end up being King Mickey just to see the fallout on this thread and elsewhere. It would be the anti-Ridley/K. Rool.
While that'd make me ultra omega mad, it'd be pretty cool as well since we'd have a non-videogame character.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Being polite is the best we can do. Like owjies owjies said, we start getting nasty, we won't be taken seriously anymore. Even if we haven't been heard yet, we will only make it worse by becoming hostile. We will be more vocal, but polite. It's like a test. If you can make your voices heard politely, then you have passed. If you start getting hostile, it make you look bad, Nintendo and SE won't take you seriously, and you have failed the test. If it hasn't worked in the past, we don't give up. We keep trying. That is what a lot of people in this Geno thread have been doing with Geno. They are patient, and they will keep trying. They will not give up, and so will I
But if we've used this patient strategy for ten years; taking whatever scraps Square gives us, and they STILL don't give us what we want in SMASH ULTIMATE..... Like, who's to say it'll ever happen? Square seems more than complacent to just stay in it's current position, mayyyyyyybe shill out one of their latest anime sword fighters, if we're lucky enough. But it will be DLC; of course. So that's why our course of action needs to change. We keep trying to walk through a goddamn brick wall, hoping it'll work if we try a couple thousand more times. If they deny us what we want again: CALL. SQUARE. Do NOT buy their dragon quest character.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Keep in mind that since Brawl we have seen:
1. Mario RPG release on the Wii U VC
2. Geno Mii Costume & Splash Page + Sakurai's blessing
3. Mario RPG release on the SNES Classic (no Chrono Trigger or DQ 5)
4. Geno Legendary Spirit & Mallow Ace Spirit

It's not a SMRPG HD remake or playable Geno (yet), but I think it's simply unfair to say that we're being disrespected. Believe me, I'm disappointed every time Geno is disconfirmed, but we've definitely been heard. Remember, Nintendo was not afraid to completely remove Isaac from Smash 4. Without continued fan support to prop Geno up, I doubt we would've received what we already have.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Being polite is the best we can do. Like owjies owjies said, we start getting nasty, we won't be taken seriously anymore. Even if we haven't been heard yet, we will only make it worse by becoming hostile. We will be more vocal, but polite. It's like a test. If you can make your voices heard politely, then you have passed. If you start getting hostile, it will make you look bad, Nintendo and SE won't take you seriously, and you have failed the test. If it hasn't worked in the past, we don't give up. We keep trying. That is what a lot of people in this Geno thread have been doing with Geno. They are patient, and they will keep trying. They will not give up, and so will I
Yeah I don't think anyone here wants Geno fans to be on the same level as Waluigi enthusiasts. The best path to Geno getting in the game is being smart about things and not overreacting. The saying goes that "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar". So by that logic maybe we can place a giant pot of honey outside of NoJ to lure Sakurai and when he tries to get a handful he gets taken in an unmarked van and we ransom him for Geno getting a spot in the game. Sound good?

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I agree with this. We don't want to get a reputation of telling people to kill themselves or to just **** post and disrupt the lives of real life people like Waluigi or Ashley supporters did on social media. Geno doesn't need that kind of image. I loved seeing how thankful everyone was regarding the Mii Costume. Everyone seemed super positive and I think in the long run, it gives us more props from daddy Sakurai.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
At this point, I’m of two minds when it comes to Geno’s chances.

On one hand, I legitimately think that Geno would objectively be the best way to start off the pass if they’re aiming to get the game’s core fanbase excited about “investing” in it. An extremely long-standing request with a cool, unique design, that would set the stage for other big requests like BWD and Banjo.

However, on the other hand, do I personally expect Nintendo to cater to the game’s own player base with this pass? Hell no, especially after what happened with Isaac. Instead, what I fully expect is my own personal “darkest timeline” pick, Crono, to be chosen because “people liked Cloud and want Goku, this should sell millions!”

Basically, what I’m trying to say is that the first character is going to set the stage for the pass. Geno would imply “REQUESTS FULFILLED!” while an anime swordfighter that historically hasn’t been wanted all that much in Smash would instead imply that the pass is made up of “what Nintendo PR thinks would get people excited”, which would be profoundly disappointing.

I just hope that if this pass turns out to be the latter, enough outcry happens that we actually end up getting a second pass with more of the former.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I agree with this. We don't want to get a reputation of telling people to kill themselves or to just **** post and disrupt the lives of real life people like Waluigi or Ashley supporters did on social media. Geno doesn't need that kind of image. I loved seeing how thankful everyone was regarding the Mii Costume. Everyone seemed super positive and I think in the long run, it gives us more props from daddy Sakurai.
Did I ever say go to the level of some extreme Waluigi fans? No. But it's BLATANT what we're doing is far too soft. Don't even attack Nintendo, that makes sense to me. But we have nothing to lose by complaining to Square Enix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom