• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
User was warned for this post
This may be something on interest that may disappoint you all.

The Geno cameo that was originally in Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga is gone in the remake. I guess keeping him would have been too expensive.
this makes me wonder how much the SMRPG characters will cost if a company wanted to buy the right

soon i am gonna bring Boomer from SMRPG back to life but its gonna take a long time until i finish it because of school killing my time...

Last edited by a moderator:

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
I was one of the people begging for Geno in Brawl back when Sakurai was taking input from Japanese consumers. Then they go and put Rosalina (who was never even a playable character) in SSB4, while Geno was just a skin for Mii Gunner. I think Geno would be great. Kind of a deep cut, but deep cuts are good sometimes. He could play kind of like a Mario sized Samus, only don't give him Samus's floatiness.

Also his own stage with the forest music would be cool. That piece was one of the best pieces of music in video game history.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
He could play kind of like a Mario sized Samus, only don't give him Samus's floatiness.
Yeah I'd expect Geno as more of a fastfaller, or at least quick on the ground. He was known for his speed, attack and specials, so I think he should be a glass canon like Fox.
Quick with good zoning tools and frame data, but light weight and easy to combo.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
At this point, I think Geno is the only character Sakurai has confirmed nearly made it into Smash not once, but twice . Then (as much as I love him I'm not hating, FF is my life) a certain Cloud got in the way of our Sunshine...

I want to hope for him. Him not even returning for his Cameo in the Mario & Luigi remake was rough though...

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
The way I see it, Geno's chances might actually be mostly dependent on whether Square Enix will allow it. IIRC Sakurai DID show interest in Geno before and I think he even acknowledged his popularity, so that says something at least. That said, if problems arise on Square's side... yeah, the wishes of him joining Smash are probably going to go ungranted for a third time. But hey, there's actually a bit of a chance for him. If you guys can make your voices heard again (I'm neutral to the idea) then maybe it could happen. Just maybe.

:094:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Geno Geno please. Along with a stage of his own. Which i mean Bowsers Keep with Exor in the background!!!!! such nostalgia. But what about Queen Valetina? Axem Rangers? lol I want to much. P
There is so many good SMRPG stage ideas for smash its hard for me to decide which stage would be the best for Geno if he gets to be playable i think most people wants the forest maze but for me i want something similar to :castlesiege: where the stage changes maybe include bosses or stage hazard as well.
as for the Axem Rangers i want a Mii costume of them.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Yes, yes, please! Seeing SMRPG get any love in this day and age would make me so happy, and Geno himself is just such a cool character and would fit into Smash so well. Honestly, I think Geno even has a pretty decent shot at getting in this time round - in my eyes, he might be the most viable choice for a new Mario rep at this point, seeing how the main cast of the core series is all repped now (save for Captain Toad, who can't jump), so they pretty much have to look to spinoff series for new reps now, and Sakurai seems to be on our side since he's been considering Geno for the past two installments now. I wouldn't bank on it, seeing how it's debatable whether Mario's even getting a new rep anyway, but I'd say our chances right now are looking better than ever. Stay strong, my friends!

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
At this point, I think Geno is the only character Sakurai has confirmed nearly made it into Smash not once, but twice . Then (as much as I love him I'm not hating, FF is my life) a certain Cloud got in the way of our Sunshine...

I want to hope for him. Him not even returning for his Cameo in the Mario & Luigi remake was rough though...

You know I think you could be right on the dot regarding this. Maybe he was really left with a decision you get 1 solid character and you have permission to do a mii costume. Just choose 1 for 1. So I guess the boss people told him *ahem* Cloud.
I do believe think that Cloud is a 1 time deal. If that is really the case. I think Geno is all good to get in. Of course this is presuming Sakurai has already had talks with Square regarding about this OR has already dealt with this issue during the development for Smash WiiU/3DS. Time will tell my people time will tell. Lets just hope our Star Warrior is in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Geno's best chance all settles on Cloud returning.

After all, SEGA had Sonic and Bayo, Capcom had Mega Man and Ryu and Namco had Pac-Man and a butt-ton of Namco arcade references.

But if Square pulls out, then there's no Cloud and no Geno whatsoever.

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
I think Geno's best chance all settles on Cloud returning.

After all, SEGA had Sonic and Bayo, Capcom had Mega Man and Ryu and Namco had Pac-Man and a butt-ton of Namco arcade references.

But if Square pulls out, then there's no Cloud and no Geno whatsoever.
But WHY would Square pull out? There's no disadvantage to having a character included in the INSANELY popular Smash Bros series.

domriver

Smash Lord
But WHY would Square pull out? There's no disadvantage to having a character included in the INSANELY popular Smash Bros series.
I can see this being the case but in THIS case it very well could be Sakurai going to Square and saying "Hey our clients would like to see Geno in our newest and latest hit game Smash Brothers." Square is gonna turn around say ok sure but lets discuss $$$. Its all business contract. Sakurai wants something only Square and authorize and Square either wants $$ from it OR something else. Not sure but I would think with Switch's popularity + Smash Brothers is a for sure 1 million+ seller hit. I'd say companies other than nintendo WOULD WANT THEIR character to be included in this game.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Given Sakurai's relatively recent comments on Geno, I feel like he stands a chance, especially if Square-Enix was willing to take part again. (not sure if the lack of FF7 songs and trophies in Smash 4 were due to Square-Enix being stingy, or if it was an issue with time constraints) I'd love to see him as a playable character, though!

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Put my name down on the support list. I love Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. With Cloud gracing the Smash 4 roster, Geno's chances seem better, and didn't Sakurai consider Geno for smash during Brawl's development?

Geno could be a pretty hype character for Smash, looking cool and having a floaty, whimsical projectile playstyle with his arm gun and many different ammunition types (pellets, lasers, thick straight up bullets, miniature stars).

For younger fans, Geno would look cool and might prompt them to research his origins, and Geno would appeal to old time Nintendo fans from the SNES era, as well as newer fans who picked up SMRPG on the Nintendo virtual console and learned of Geno's awesomeness.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I just had a crazy idea for how to reveal Cloud's return and reveal Geno in one go, considering they seem to go hand in hand now.

Cloud is walking through the Gold Saucer. Looking for his party members. God damn it Tifa and Aerith where'd you go. He stops at a booth to look at some amusing toys you can win. When something whizzes past and catches his attention. Looked like a star.

He gives chases and it crashes right into another boy of carnival prizes and toys. Just as he recovers he looks up in the air in even more shock. The smash fireball. Outsteps Rosalina, Mario, Peach, and Bowser. He stands to approach them, when from out behind him a wooden carnival toy has come to life.

Geno. They look into the Smash Fireball together. End trailer.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
IIRC, in the direct when the costume was revealed the Sakurai voiceover said that while he couldn't make him playable, he hoped the Mii Costume would suffice.

That, to me, sounds like he did actually heavily explore the option of making him playable but either couldn't get the rights to a full character, couldn't get him working at the time, or just decided to save him for later (like Inklings/K. Rool/Toad, who all got Mii Costumes around the same time?). Now that we have a new game coming, and with information pointing to this potentially having been in development at least as far back as right after the end of DLC, but also potentially before Baynetta was released even, I think Geno's chances are actually really, really good if the Mii Costume is any sort of indication. He is on Sakurai's radar, which is a good thing for his chances and potentially a great thing for us who want him.

Staarih

Smash Master
I kinda feel Sakurai explored the possibility of Geno, but being in talks with Square Enix they decided to go with Cloud, who arguably is more popular, known and approved and would have more "shock-value" (as he did). But maybe, going into talks again, Geno might actually be pushed more now that Cloud is already in (unless SE is difficult with legal stuff etc). Here's hoping at least.

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I kinda feel Sakurai explored the possibility of Geno, but being in talks with Square Enix they decided to go with Cloud, who arguably is more popular, known and approved and would have more "shock-value" (as he did). But maybe, going into talks again, Geno might actually be pushed more now that Cloud is already in (unless SE is difficult with legal stuff etc). Here's hoping at least.
Yeah, there had to have been some office politics going on that stopped Geno from being playable too. I don't know if it was necessarily preference on either company's part, though -- if Capcom could get both Megaman and Ryu on the roster, there's no reason Square or Nintendo couldn't have had both Geno and Cloud unless something went down we don't know about.

Maybe the plan the whole time was to make the nine Mii Fighter costumes playable characters on the Switch version. The Inklings sort of indicate that.

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Yeah, there had to have been some office politics going on that stopped Geno from being playable too. I don't know if it was necessarily preference on either company's part, though -- if Capcom could get both Megaman and Ryu on the roster, there's no reason Square or Nintendo couldn't have had both Geno and Cloud unless something went down we don't know about.

Maybe the plan the whole time was to make the nine Mii costumes playable characters on the Switch version. The Inklings sort of indicate that.
Which 9 are you referring to? Inklings/Geno/Toad(?)/K. Rool(?)/???/???/???/???/???

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Hmm... I am wondering why out of all the Mii costumes that were announced Geno was the ONLY one who got his own splash screen? That might shows that he was very very close to become playable? and Sakurai said in the interview said that he fits perfectly on smash and very popular and wanted him since Brawl and the strangest thing is that he haven't said anything about why Geno didn't end up becoming playable at the end I have read a lot of the characters that Sakurai has considered and he ends up explaining why it didn't became playable at the end but for Geno he didn't say anything about that.:roll:
Do you see the Mii costume returning?
Well I hope so but most importantly make Miis playable online and not just with friends my Mii gunner Geno is my 2nd main and I am mad that I can't use it in any online battle without friends.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Hmm... I am wondering why out of all the Mii costumes that were announced Geno was the ONLY one who got his own splash screen? That might shows that he was very very close to become playable? and Sakurai said in the interview said that he fits perfectly on smash and very popular and wanted him since Brawl and the strangest thing is that he haven't said anything about why Geno didn't end up becoming playable at the end I have read a lot of the characters that Sakurai has considered and he ends up explaining why it didn't became playable at the end but for Geno he didn't say anything about that.:roll:

Well I hope so but most importantly make Miis playable online and not just with friends my Mii gunner Geno is my 2nd main and I am mad that I can't use it in any online battle without friends.
That’s true, the miis were so low tier that there’s no reason they needed to be restricted. Or just make it so you’re stuck with one and only one moveset when using them and offensive miis get you banned (though they didn’t in the miis you’d see playing the game online anyway).

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'll be honest, I've never been a big fan of Geno being in Smash before more established Mario characters such as (Captain) Toad, Waluigi, Daisy and Paper Mario, but the Mii costume in Sm4sh was exceptionally good and a lovely surprise and I hope at bear minimum you guys get that again. Hopefully with online capabilities this time.

I'd really like to see Geno(and Mallow too, because why not?) get into Mario Kart in the future and get re-established into the Mario spinoffs at the very least.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I always saw the whole splash art deal as Sakurai's way of acknowledging the character's popularity and not necessarily his way of saying he was originally going to be playable, but regardless, it certainly means we've gotten the man's attention with Geno, which is more than can definitively be said for most other candidates. In other words, it's a good sign any way you look at it.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I really want to like Geno more...

but Super Mario RPG is not particularly easy to own (assuming I am not going to be keeping my Wii U out), and being third party, he just doesnt seem impactful enough.

Does anyone have any help for these feelings? He really is a cool character, but with no future it just seems like a wasted third party entry to me (since we know, without question, that Sakurai has stated he doesnt want to just let everyone in).

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
I've wanted Geno ever since Brawl, and I think Cloud in Smash 4 tells us that Square has a good enough relationship with Nintendo now. Not to mention that the Mii Costumes in Smash 4 makes me think that Nintendo is looking at sales number for those in regards to adding characters going forward. Either way, the fact that he was prominent to even get a Mi Costume means he has impact. I hope he gets in this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom