• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Sora and Geno both have big merits that could get them in Smash Ultimate. Sora has Sakurai's relationship with Nomura (With the negotiation of Cloud) and the fact that Disney negotiating him for Smash is not as difficult as people generally perceive. Geno has Sakurai wanting him since Brawl/Smash 4, with him already seeing his moveset potential despite being an older character. I do not expect Sora right now, however, as the opportunity for him could have possibly been passed up by Disney due to possible schedule conflicts and Disney Japan occupying their development time on KH3 right now. If any Square newcomer were to be chosen for Ultimate, Sakurai would likely add Geno right out of the gate due to licensing budget no longer becoming an issue. Sora is a choice I personally expect as DLC, if it happens.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sora and Geno both have big merits that could get them in Smash Ultimate. Sora has Sakurai's relationship with Nomura (With the negotiation of Cloud) and the fact that Disney negotiating him for Smash is not as difficult as people generally perceive. Geno has Sakurai wanting him since Brawl/Smash 4, with him already seeing his moveset potential despite being an older character. I do not expect Sora right now, however, as the opportunity for him could have possibly been passed up by Disney due to possible schedule conflicts and Disney Japan occupying their development time on KH3 right now. If any Square newcomer were to be chosen for Ultimate, Sakurai would likely add Geno right out of the gate due to licensing budget no longer becoming an issue. Sora is a choice I personally expect as DLC, if it happens.
Someone in the comment section mentioned how because Sora can use Magic, he'd be more unique than Cloud

I don't think that person has played FF7

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Someone in the comment section mentioned how because Sora can use Magic, he'd be more unique than Cloud

I don't think that person has played FF7
Hahahahahahaha xD
I mean that's what the taunt with the green glow is ;P

But yeah I could definitely see sora being DLC. and if he does get in that's probably what it will be.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Sora is our biggest roadblock at this point. The licensing issues between Square and Nintendo have been taken care of, and the Mii costume shows that Sakurai understands the outcry for Geno to be playable. The only thing in the way of his inclusion is if another Square rep comes through. Sora being revealed would hit hard. I have never played a Kingdom Hearts game, but I understand the excitement and anticipation from the community that wants Sora to be in.

Doctormario606

Smash Rookie
NNID
DoctorMario606
Switch FC
SW-8179-2418-2305
Geno is not someone I can consider a very good way to represent Square Enix. Cloud seems to be doing that just fine already.

Not just that, what I read one time about Smash's requirements for third party characters to be playable in Smash is that they be among the most iconic, memorable, and recognizable third party characters, which Geno fails all three of those descriptions miserably. They've stayed true to all that with the third party characters and DLC in Smash 4, so I highly doubt that will change anytime soon.

I'm sorry, I just don't see the point. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, I just don't think there's any chance he can make it.
Sakurai has stated that he wants Geno in Smash and thinks he would be a perfect fit, if you watched the Terminal Montage video you would've seen that.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Not to mention, Snake and Bayonetta aren't exactly gaming legends. Popular characters to be sure, but iconic? I don't know, that's really pushing it.

The point is moot anyway, Geno has Sakurai's approval and more importantly, he's highly requested by the Smash community. Ridley was once considered an impossible request with Sakurai even saying he'd have to "wave a magic wand" to get him in. Welp... consider the wand waved.

It also helps that he (Sakurai) frequently thinks about the addition of "impossible" characters (his own words). What matters is whether or not Sakurai wants to add said character and whether or not there's public outcry for a character. In this case, both things line up in Geno's favor. As well, the timing has never been more in Geno's favor than this time.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
When it comes to Geno vs. Sora, I am suprised that I am more so rooting for Geno. I grew up with the KH series and I have never touched SMRPG before, but I find the idea of Geno much more appealing. Also, there seems to be a pattern with the third party's with two reps. Sega has Sonic and Bayo, Capcom has Mega Man and Ryu, and Bandi was possibly gonna get Heiatchi along with Pac Man. Each company's two characters are very different from each other, and they showcase the companies on variety. If Sora got in, Square representation would be two spiky haired sword wielders(I know the Keyblade is not a sword but it functions like one) with magic powers and such. I know there is more to them that, but we are talking face value here. If we got Geno, we would be getting a magic doll that is loaded with magic artillery. That is much more interesting and would have more variety to Square representation.

TBone06

Smash Ace
"Japanese streamer who has friends on the inside"
It's a very safe roster. I'd love to believe it. But these things are always a little funny. I'd be interested to see if there was a post he made about the DLC from the last game before it was revealed. It'd certainly be a bit more believable if we could see if he was actually given DLC beforehand.

Also, no K. Rool will always make me a bit skeptical. I think he's in for sure, but that's totally opinion based.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's a very safe roster. I'd love to believe it. But these things are always a little funny. I'd be interested to see if there was a post he made about the DLC from the last game before it was revealed. It'd certainly be a bit more believable if we could see if he was actually given DLC beforehand.

Also, no K. Rool will always make me a bit skeptical. I think he's in for sure, but that's totally opinion based.
Amaterasu or whatever it's called is a weird choice for me

Also the lack of K Rool

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm calling bull on that pic being legit. I can tell most of the "newcomers" are stock art from previous games for the characters featured.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm calling bull on that pic being legit. I can tell most of the "newcomers" are stock art from previous games for the characters featured.
The streamer sent a pic with potential newcomers on it to a friend on the inside and his friend sent the image back with some circled

None of the pictures are supposed to be in smash renders

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
Amaterasu or whatever it's called is a weird choice for me

Also the lack of K Rool
I don't even mind Amaterasu, I mean I would never have thought of the character as I know nothing about the game. But I know Sakurai will pick odd choices. I personally think K. Rool is the most logical choice as to me it's the biggest omission right now (again, in my opinion) The rest of that supposed roster is very safe.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The streamer sent a pic with potential newcomers on it to a friend on the inside and his friend sent the image back with some circled

None of the pictures are supposed to be in smash renders
Still, I call bull since they line up pretty closely to that leak that claimed K. Rool and Dixie would've been revealed a few days back. And frankly, Heihachi is not a character Namco Bandai would prioritize in Smash anyway. They would rather focus on Dig Dug or Kos-Mos given her resurgence.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Still, I call bull since they line up pretty closely to that leak that claimed K. Rool and Dixie would've been revealed a few days back. And frankly, Heihachi is not a character Namco Bandai would prioritize in Smash anyway. They would rather focus on Dig Dug or Kos-Mos given her resurgence.
What it's similar to is the "Old Man" rumor, except it lacks K Rool and has Paper Mario

That wasn't the rumor that said K Rool would be revealed on the 9th

MattX20

Smash Hero
What it's similar to is the "Old Man" rumor, except it lacks K Rool and has Paper Mario

That wasn't the rumor that said K Rool would be revealed on the 9th
I said they line up pretty closely. Not exactly, but close enough to that rumor that I still think it's fake.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I said they line up pretty closely. Not exactly, but close enough to that rumor that I still think it's fake.
Oh, I was just pointing out that the Old Man rumor hasn't been deconfirmed yet. The OTHER rumor was deconfirmed. And I don't think that one had Geno as a character on it.

---

Anyone find it funny Geno is considered a "Safe" choice? Or any of these characters.

Imagine some of them being on a Brawl or Smash 4 "leak". People would dismiss it as being too out there.

Double posting to point out the leak may have already been proven fake.

It's being spread around, and potentially created by, someone who make fake leaks during the Smash 4 days

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Oh, I was just pointing out that the Old Man rumor hasn't been deconfirmed yet. The OTHER rumor was deconfirmed. And I don't think that one had Geno as a character on it.
The other major problem I have with this "leak" is the claim Amaterasu is playable. Capcom already has 2 reps in there, and while Okami is a good game from what I've heard, I'm not sure that would immediately qualify her.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Waddle Dee, despite me not caring for the character, might have already been confirmed anyway. So I kind of expect a real leak to contain that character.

They found data for more than 1 Daisy amiibo and more than 1 waddle dee amiibo for the data in Yoshi's Wooly world.

And Daisy has since been confirmed for Smash AND to have a new Amiibo

Now this could mean a couple of things, but one of them is that Waddle Dee is coming to Smash

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Double posting to point out the leak may have already been proven fake.

It's being spread around, and potentially created by, someone who make fake leaks during the Smash 4 days
Yeah, prolly fake, then. The lack of K Rool is telling, as is the inclusion of PM and Amaterasu. I mean, the latter has some crazy backward chance of getting in simply because Sakurai seems to insist on at least one character almost nobody would guess, but the former I just do not see happening whatsoever. It's also sort of an overly creative way to leak something--a real leak is stuff with hard evidence, the the ESRB leak. This seems like someone literally sat and thought "how can I make my leak look unique?" Which is totally not what you're thinking about when you're preparing to possibly forfeit your job for a leak, lol.

I will say that the acting in those posts is pretty top notch, though. Almost makes me believe it. These "leakers" should seriously consider pursuing a performing career...:p

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I also find it interesting that people assumed Square would FORCE a character to be in Smash if they were involved

But it's been confirmed Sakurai picked Cloud. Cloud wasn't thrust upon him. He had a choice

Square isn't this unbending behemoth people think they are
But that means potentially Geno might not be playable, because Sakurai could have decided that despite how much he wants the character in the game that Geno is not suitable for the roster -- probably because of Geno's moveset.

Sakurai, in the Geno Mii costume announcement, noted how compatible Geno as a character was with the Mii gunner moveset. We were also told that it takes a long, long time for developers to create unique animations and movesets for the roster characters. We also have Echo characters. It's likely Sakurai thought, "Well, this is a doll with machine guns for arms we're talking about, so we can save ourselves energy and development time by just making Geno a Mii gunner costume instead of putting him on the roster" -- this need to avoid spending development time and dollars whenever they can might be the reason Geno might never make the roster. :(

I genuinely worry and believe this might be a thing. I hope, Hope, PRAY Geno makes the roster. But that's what circumstances look like to me.

Someone encourage me.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Sakurai specifically talked about wanting to add Geno since Brawl. He made the Mii costume not as a "Oh, this is all I need to do for his fans" line of reasoning, he did it because, "I want to at least do this much for the fans". That's what the interview implies.

As much as I don't like Cloud, Cloud has also been a highly requested character over the years and is a gaming legend. It's obvious the priority would have gone to him first, especially considering Square didn't enter the scene until the end of Smash 4's development cycle.

Those issues don't exist anymore. Geno's timing is absolutely perfect this time.

Edit: And no, Sakurai said he thinks Mii Gunner and Geno are similar, not that they would be the same. He's already done research into the character. He knows how much potential a Geno moveset has.

Last edited:

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
When do y'all think the next Direct will be (Mini, full, special)? I don't know if they'd break out a full Direct only a month after E3, but there's a possibility for a Mini Direct.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Does anyone remember how far apart characters were announced in Smash 4?

MattX20

Smash Hero
Please do not double post. Edit your messages instead. :)
When do y'all think the next Direct will be (Mini, full, special)? I don't know if they'd break out a full Direct only a month after E3, but there's a possibility for a Mini Direct.
Considering how the E3 Direct was basically a mini direct for Smash anyways, I'm not expecting another until September right now

Does anyone remember how far apart characters were announced in Smash 4?
If you mean newcomers, they happened every 2 months or so with E3 2013 and 2014 revealing 3 each

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Considering there's less time until release, we may be getting newcomers monthly rather than every 2 months.

Unless Sakurai wants to hide the newcomers for the most part so people can be "surprised" as they play the game. Personally, I think that would be a dumb reason though since everyone is going to know the full roster on release day (more likely a week or so before it).

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Considering there's less time until release, we may be getting newcomers monthly rather than every 2 months.

Unless Sakurai wants to hide the newcomers for the most part so people can be "surprised" as they play the game. Personally, I think that would be a dumb reason though since everyone is going to know the full roster on release day (more likely a week or so before it).
I also agree with the monthly character reveals. Sm4sh was given 17 months to reveal characters, while Ultimate will only have 6 (Well, less than 5 right now). I could see a new Echo reveal and an original newcomer reveal commonly bundled together like they were in E3.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Thought I would share this

Have you guys seen this thread:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76776470

"https://twitter.com/Ruben_dal/status/1013925354682101760

Smash 4 was datamined, revealing Bayonetta had been planned WITHIN 2 WEEKS OF THE BALLOT. Okay, so what?

WELL, I had messaged a friend earlier in JUNE, who had said Bayonetta had been planned WITHIN LESS THAN A MONTH, adding to his credibility of his sources. He had also revealed that Daisy was in the top 20

https://i.imgur.com/1ExbL9l.png

* Note: I removed some parts in my private message screenshots to keep the dude confidential and respect his/her privacy. No other parts of the screenshots are edited.. the dates read/sent are real.. a month before this datamine came out

People seem to underestimate Daisy's popularity. The fact she comes from the Super Mario series alone makes her more iconic than 70% of this game's roster. Combined with my efforts and campaign to get Daisy in smash, we got her in this game!

Due to
A.) Daisy's Popularity in the ballot
B.) Michaeloll, memoryman and we are daisy
C.) Daisy's importance to her series over irrelevant characters such as Waluigi

A,B, and C, Daisy became a playable character in this game!

If you claim she got in this game due to easily clonable, then that is FALSE!"

"I copy and pasted some of the prviate message convo from here
https://i.imgur.com/1ExbL9l.png

"Around that time I had let my friend use my account to post explanations to the last several DLC fighters, how the Smash Ballot worked, and the update that altered shield damage before Cloud's reveal. I believe that you specifically asked him about Daisy's placement on the Smash Ballot and he revealed that she was the 20th most requested character after getting rid of meme choices. I think it was 20th, it's been some time since then so I can't recall for sure but it was somewhere around there."

"In any case, most of the "real" voting was finished within a month's time so even if there were some discrepancies between the actual count and the count used for the final vote it was still about 90% accurate. The Ballot was mostly to determine possible series representation in future installments anyway, particularly in regards to third parties. Knowing what companies you want to work out potential licensing issues with early on in the game's development makes it easier to implement their properties in the base game or as early DLC." - Sent June 15, 2018"

Does this user have any form of past credibility? His information is especially interesting, in regards to third-party representation. Given what representation we seen of third parties like the Bomberman Assist, I think his info might hold a bit of merit.
If this is real its top 20 zone is what they are looking at

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't know how the first couple weeks of voting could have gone.

What if Geno was a character that needed to pick up traction?

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
I don't think they would only take a look at the first month and continue to keep the ballot up for voting for 5 more months.

Edit: That spreadsheet I have mentioned before containing every Smash Ultimate "leak" has recently gone private, which is odd. Has anybody else found a way to keep track of them efficiently?

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I don't think we have to worry about the Smash ballot being a factor towards Geno's inclusion. I'm pretty sure he was well within the top 20. The characters that would most likely have benefitted from said ballot are King K. Rool and Bandana Waddle Dee.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I wasn't going to post this because it's OBVIOUSLY fake

But Geno is in another new "LEAK"
Lol. Honestly? I'm more inclined to believe this one than other recent leaks, if only because this one lacks any of that bogus leak fluff. People responding are even calling out the leaker and leak for being too boring. I mean, really? That's kind of the point--to leak info, not to dazzle.That only gives it more credibility in my eyes.

What takes away credibility? Skull Kid. Simon Belmont (seriously...there's as much reason to expect him at this point as there was the Chorus Kids in Smash 4--and we see how that went.) But most of all...13 echo fighters. I suppose it might be possible, given their ease of development...but Sakurai said not to expect many new challengers--which includes echoes. Still, why include such a crazy prediction, when you know it would be called out?

Sigh...I'm going crazy! Come on already, Nintendo! We need more info!

Preferably GENO info...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Lol. Honestly? I'm more inclined to believe this one than other recent leaks, if only because this one lacks any of that bogus leak fluff. People responding are even calling out the leaker and leak for being too boring. I mean, really? That's kind of the point--to leak info, not to dazzle.That only gives it more credibility in my eyes.

What takes away credibility? Skull Kid. Simon Belmont (seriously...there's as much reason to expect him at this point as there was the Chorus Kids in Smash 4--and we see how that went.) But most of all...13 echo fighters. I suppose it might be possible, given their ease of development...but Sakurai said not to expect many new challengers--which includes echoes. Still, why include such a crazy prediction, when you know it would be called out?

Sigh...I'm going crazy! Come on already, Nintendo! We need more info!

Preferably GENO info...
Skull Kid would be nice. And he actually was fairly popular in the polls. Not absolute top popular but he did make the charts.

But mostly I just wanted an excuse to post that pun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom