• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Surprise art to go with my Mega-Man Meganium. This was spur of the moment so I hope my amateur art turned out okay.

Also for the record TerminalMontage TerminalMontage , I can't wait for your Pokemon animation! (And the Geno cameo to come with it lol)

Last edited:

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Do you think there will be post-release character trailers? I believe the reason why they were able to do them for Sm4sh in the first place was the split between release dates for the 3DS and Wii U versions. Then again, we have had secret characters for every game; ones that had not been revealed prior to the release date. So, even if trailers don't come for the hidden fighters, it'll be interesting to unlock them.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I know that Bowser Jr was suppose to be a secret new fighter but he was leaked through the ESRB review. He still had a trailer released which was pretty cool.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Do you think there will be post-release character trailers? I believe the reason why they were able to do them for Sm4sh in the first place was the split between release dates for the 3DS and Wii U versions. Then again, we have had secret characters for every game; ones that had not been revealed prior to the release date. So, even if trailers don't come for the hidden fighters, it'll be interesting to unlock them.
I don't see why there wouldn't be. Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt (and, to a lesser extent, Shulk) got trailers despite already being confirmed, and it just wouldn't be fair to deny a newcomer a trailer based on something as arbitrary as when they're revealed and I think Sakurai knows that. Rest assured, it is by every precedent that every unique newcomer in this game is getting a trailer, even if they aren't revealed until after the game's release. (Except Inkling, whose reveal was the teaser of the game.)

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
As likely as things look for Geno in this game, I am sort of constantly vacillating on how likely he actually is. Sakurai supports him, the fans support him, and Square-Enix is on board once again for a Smash game with their main man Cloud already playable. He has a Mii costume that got a fairly large outcry from fans like King K. Rool, a splash screen reveal, and the Nintendo of America account bringing up the 22nd anniversary of Super Mario RPG for no reason...

That all makes me really get my hopes up for Geno... but I can't kick the idea that Sakurai might just decide not to make him playable and leave us with the mii costume... I suppose that's way of keeping my expectations in check and not being so disappointed in the event he doesn't get in, but he's strangely the most unsafe safe bet we have. And that's just strange to deal with.
Well keeping your expectation in check is just smart. I totally realize that by setting my hopes so hi I could be setting myself up for disappointment.

But I see it as a worthy risk to take. to be that optimistic spirit, the Positive energy to spread hope to his fellow Geno fan's when their spirits are feeling down. But I will say in these times the optimist's other half is needed. to keep those hopes in check to some degree so others don't suffer the same such as mine in case Geno doesn't make it.

And you know even if Geno isn't in I think I will be fine. I did just get Ridley afterall! and in the end after the dust is settled I can at least still be happy that at least one dream came true.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Well keeping your expectation in check is just smart. I totally realize that by setting my hopes so hi I could be setting myself up for disappointment.

But I see it as a worthy risk to take. to be that optimistic spirit, the Positive energy to spread hope to his fellow Geno fan's when their spirits are feeling down. But I will say in these times the optimist's other half is needed. to keep those hopes in check to some degree so others don't suffer the same such as mine in case Geno doesn't make it.

And you know even if Geno isn't in I think I will be fine. I did just get Ridley afterall! and in the end after the dust is settled I can at least still be happy that at least one dream came true.
You know, I really appreciate people like you who keep such optimism in these threads. That is really helpful and a part of why I love coming here to speculate.

I’m not even trying to pessimistic, just voicing my own worries regarding the situation haha. He is still my second most wanted after King K Rool after all

And yes, having everyone back alongside Ridley means that even if he doesn’t get in, I’ll be very satisfied with this game as well.

MattX20

Smash Hero
As likely as things look for Geno in this game, I am sort of constantly vacillating on how likely he actually is. Sakurai supports him, the fans support him, and Square-Enix is on board once again for a Smash game with their main man Cloud already playable. He has a Mii costume that got a fairly large outcry from fans like King K. Rool, a splash screen reveal, and the Nintendo of America account bringing up the 22nd anniversary of Super Mario RPG for no reason...

That all makes me really get my hopes up for Geno... but I can't kick the idea that Sakurai might just decide not to make him playable and leave us with the mii costume... I suppose that's way of keeping my expectations in check and not being so disappointed in the event he doesn't get in, but he's strangely the most unsafe safe bet we have. And that's just strange to deal with.
I seriously doubt Sakurai would deliberately try to crush Geno fans like that. He's been supporting of the character for over a decade now. The last obstacle that held Geno back was an FF character getting in first/returning, and that is completely gone now. That, and I have faith Geno will be one of the characters revealed before the game comes out. Characters with 3rd party ties are always given top priority before the Smash Bros game in question releases.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I seriously doubt Sakurai would deliberately try to crush Geno fans like that. He's been supporting of the character for over a decade now. The last obstacle that held Geno back was an FF character getting in first/returning, and that is completely gone now. That, and I have faith Geno will be one of the characters revealed before the game comes out. Characters with 3rd party ties are always given top priority before the Smash Bros game in question releases.
Not to mention on that brawl era smash ballot most wanted geno is the only character left from that list not playable (excluding Krystal and takamaru)

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Aw man. I don't know if I can wait another 6 years or whenever the next system is coming out for a new Smash. Sakurai HAS to make this happen. It's now or never. Don't let us down Sakurai please!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I bet Geno's popularity resulted in Nintendo recognizing Super Mario RPG as a classic. I wonder if it would have even gotten it on the SNES classic in a world without "Geno for Smash".

To me, at least, they didn't seem to recognize it prior

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Hey looks like that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe update launched today! and no Kirby or anything else said in the leak on sight.
but we did get Breath of the wild link and botw master cycle!

well that's a strike against the leak.

oh also heard that dataminers found more characters for mario kart 8! and it's Captain Toad and Toadette apparently.
more characters that are not part of the funko pop leak.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
The only leak that we have yet to disprove is the Old Man one, and its fate will be sealed this weekend.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hey looks like that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe update launched today! and no Kirby or anything else said in the leak on sight.

oh also heard that dataminers found more characters for mario kart 8! and it's Captain Toad and Toadette apparently.
That could be because it is a free update and not a planned DLC pack you have to buy, they are two entirely different things. And I have not heard of this datamine, though I am curious. Where would I find the info?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The only leak that we have yet to disprove is the Old Man one, and its fate will be sealed this weekend.
The old man leak didn't give a date, it just gave the month. So technically it can be on the 31st for all we know

But I still don't believe it. Even if it does give me K Rool, Dixie, and Geno

Edit: People are saying the creator of the Old Man leak came forward and said it's fake. Which is hard to prove if you really think about it because ANYONE can come out and say they are Anon and made it all up. But if it is fake, I'm guessing all the K Rool leaks are fake. Apparently the old man was supposed to be Chrom.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Wait what? Since when did data miners find that/do you have a source? That’s actually pretty exciting news if true (Though Mario Kart 8 is the king of bloated rosters and questionable choices with characters... funny how much people complain about Smash when it could be so much worse)

I’d prefer something new from Smash, but I’ll gladly take new stuff regarding Kart

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Wait what? Since when did data miners find that/do you have a source? That’s actually pretty exciting news if true (Though Mario Kart 8 is the king of bloated rosters and questionable choices with characters... funny how much people complain about Smash when it could be so much worse)

I’d prefer something new from Smash, but I’ll gladly take new stuff regarding Kart
I should have put more of an emphasis on "heard"
something I saw mentioned in passing when I learned about the update. I tried doing some more searching but couldn't find anything about it.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I really hope if Geno has to be a costume again, that we don't have to pay again. The only way I could justify paying for Geno again is if he gets a proper head. I mean mine looks pretty good on Wii U, but I won't be happy if I have to pay for the same effort twice. Because that's just laziness.
IMG_2310.JPG

Last edited:

Lisbon Mapping

Smash Apprentice
I really hope if Geno has to be a costume again, that we don't have to pay again. The only way I could justify paying for Geno again is if he gets a proper head. I mean mine looks pretty good on Wii U, but I won't be happy if I have to pay for the same effort twice. Because that's just laziness.
Seeing as how all DLC characters are in Ultimate's base game, I'd be shocked if the mii costumes haven't also been made base content.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Seeing as how all DLC characters are in Ultimate's base game, I'd be shocked if the mii costumes haven't also been made base content.
I mean I don't know how Sakurai thinks. I just hope Geno doesn't get stuck as a costume again, because let's face it if it wasn't for the Geno costume I don't think I would ever touch the Mii fighters. Sakurai's mode of thinking might be to keep Geno as a costume just so the Mii Fighters are played with.

The Jim Jims

Smash Cadet
At this point, I genuinely believe there will be two representatives per 3rd party franchise because... It makes too much sense to me.

SEGA: Sonic / Bayo
Capcom: Mega Man / Ryu
Namco: Pac Man / Heihachi
Square: Cloud / Geno

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
If Geno becomes playable, I hope the Geno Mii Costume still sticks around. We haven't seen any Mii costumes yet, but I'd assume they'd remain in the game given they're only cosmetic changes.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I really hope if Geno has to be a costume again, that we don't have to pay again. The only way I could justify paying for Geno again is if he gets a proper head. I mean mine looks pretty good on Wii U, but I won't be happy if I have to pay for the same effort twice. Because that's just laziness.View attachment 153764
I assume it'd be in the base game and wouldn't be DLC if he's just a costume

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
At this point, I genuinely believe there will be two representatives per 3rd party franchise because... It makes too much sense to me.

Don't forget Konami: Snake / Simon Belmont
Hmm..interesting.

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman

I don't think they would add 2 for each third party "just because"
it all depends on if the company in question actually has more characters that stand out enough as something that could be new and interesting for the game.

but we could definitely see new characters from companies they are already working with. because there is convenience there when it comes to working with them. but it could be very likely that Capcom could get a third rep even while namco still just has pac man.

I feel like this rule of 2 thing is something people have made up so they can think it's a reason their character will get in. but it's a really arbitrary rule.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Probably is much easier to work with the company since they have already negotiated once with them(twice in the case of SEGA). Feels that way, at least.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
You know when Geno get's in, I think we might have a fair bit of people that are angry about his inclusion ': ) probably mostly from supporters of other mario characters if they are not getting in also (which I feel like we'll only be getting one more mario character)

though I guess the thing about the Mario franchise is that it is so big that even it's more obscure characters get more support and are deemed more "deserving of slots" then even some series main protagonists.

But with how cool and unique Geno's design is I believe people will end up loving him once they have had time with him
this is how I see the casual smash fan's reaction will be when they first see him in action:
"Who's this Pinocchio looking guy? wait is he also a wizard?! HOLD UP his hands are GUNS?! is this a weaponized Pinocchio?!"

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Most of the people against Geno inclusion are at least one of the following types of people:

-"There are already too many Mario characters."
-"He's only been in one game that was over 20 years ago."
-"I wanted Sora, Waluigi or Paper Mario in Smash Bros more."

Most of them are usually kids who haven't yet experienced how legendary the SNES era really was.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I recall when I was very young, I got to try Super Mario RPG very briefly, but I never got to play the game proper and own a copy of the game until late 2007/January 2008. I distinctly remember beating Super Mario RPG for the first time the night before Brawl released.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
I have no doubt in my mind that half or most of the people who would be salty about Geno's inclusion as a proper playable character would come around once they play him enough and/or play the game he originated from. I'm definitely bias but there's not a reason I can think of to hate Geno or his inclusion considering the fact how unique he can be and what he'd mean towards other fan requested characters or characters not seen in such a long time becoming playable.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Most of the people against Geno inclusion are at least one of the following types of people:

-"There are already too many Mario characters."
-"He's only been in one game that was over 20 years ago."
-"I wanted Sora, Waluigi or Paper Mario in Smash Bros more."

Most of them are usually kids who haven't yet experienced how legendary the SNES era really was.
~Yeah, I think it's just a matter of how many of us old timers there still are. I'm 31 and remember wondering why the cast of SMRPG wasn't in more games after '96. So the younger fans that only know of the latter games can't figure out why the SMRPG crew left such an impact on us. Lots of the characters that the younger fans would want in Smash I don't even know who they are. They look at Geno and just don't get it.

Last edited:

Lisbon Mapping

Smash Apprentice
I have no doubt in my mind that half or most of the people who would be salty about Geno's inclusion as a proper playable character would come around once they play him enough and/or play the game he originated from. I'm definitely bias but there's not a reason I can think of to hate Geno or his inclusion considering the fact how unique he can be and what he'd mean towards other fan requested characters or characters not seen in such a long time becoming playable.
~Yeah, I think it's just a matter of how many of us old timers there still are. I'm 31 and remember wondering why the cast of SMRPG wasn't in more games after '96. So the younger fans that only know of the latter games can't figure out why the SMRPG crew left such an impact on us. Lots of the characters that the younger fans would want in Smash I don't even know who they are. They look at Geno and just don't get it.
This seems a bit condescending and elitist. I think it's disingenuous to say that the only detractors to Geno are young people that didn't experience the SNES era. Some people may just not see the appeal. You can't just assume that anyone that plays SMRPG will instantly love it and the only reason anyone wouldn't is because they're just too young to understand. You can't assume that they'll just suddenly love him now if he becomes playable, either. It's like you're grandfathers ranting about kids these days always glued to their screens and not appreciating the joy of.... fishing or something.

Edit: Also, why do you expect the "younger fans" to support and appreciate some character from 20 years ago if you don't bother to care about or even know about the characters they support?

Last edited:

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
This seems a bit condescending and elitist. I think it's disingenuous to say that the only detractors to Geno are young people that didn't experience the SNES era. Some people may just not see the appeal. You can't just assume that anyone that plays SMRPG will instantly love it and the only reason anyone wouldn't is because they're just too young to understand. You can't assume that they'll just suddenly love him now if he becomes playable, either. It's like you're grandfathers ranting about kids these days always glued to their screens and not appreciating the joy of.... fishing or something.

Edit: Also, why do you expect the "younger fans" to support and appreciate some character from 20 years ago if you don't bother to care about or even know about the characters they support?
Except I shouldn't have been quoted in this group as I never said that they're only young people that didn't experience the SNES era or w/e. That's not what I was getting at. I also didn't say everyone would love him or come around to. Stop putting words in my mouth, thanks.

Last edited:

Lisbon Mapping

Smash Apprentice
Except I shouldn't have been quoted in this group as I never said that they're only young people that didn't experience the SNES era or w/e. That's not what I was getting at. I also didn't say everyone would love him or come around to. Stop putting words in my mouth, thanks.
"I have no doubt in my mind that half or most of the people who would be salty about Geno's inclusion as a proper playable character would come around once they play him enough and/or play the game he originated from. "
You're assuming that most people would basically make a complete turnaround and realise how blinded they had been their whole life if they just play a video game.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
"I have no doubt in my mind that half or most of the people who would be salty about Geno's inclusion as a proper playable character would come around once they play him enough and/or play the game he originated from. "
You're assuming that most people would basically make a complete turnaround and realise how blinded they had been their whole life if they just play a video game.
I didn't say anything about people being blinded "their whole life" (this is about him Playable in Smash, not his characteristics in SMRPG and liking him for his dialogue and etc there) and foolish for not liking Geno. Never once did I say that people who don't like Geno are terrible or whatever it is you're trying to frame me and the others for. People have personal taste, that's fine. I'm also making an assumption by saying "half or most" and I even stated that I'm bias towards Geno. You're trying real hard, aren't ya? Just stop. If you want to try and keep going with this useless bickering that doesn't even have actual proof, I'm more than happy to put you on my ignore list.

This is Class A evidence for why I question why I post on any forum. People stretching this post or that post to try and say "you're being hypocritical. How dare you say that. *when I didn't*
Derpa derp."

Last edited:

Lisbon Mapping

Smash Apprentice
I didn't say anything about people being blinded "their whole life" (this is about him Playable in Smash, not his characteristics in SMRPG and liking him for his dialogue and etc there) and foolish for not liking Geno. Never once did I say that people who don't like Geno are terrible or whatever it is you're trying to frame me and the others for. People have personal taste, that's fine. I'm also making an assumption by saying "half or most" and I even stated that I'm bias towards Geno. You're trying real hard, aren't ya? Just stop. If you want to try and keep going with this useless bickering that doesn't even have actual proof, I'm more than happy to put you on my ignore list.
Obviously you didn't literally say they'd been blinded they're whole life, it's called hyperbole. Also, you literally said most people would like him if they played his original game, so saying "this is about him Playable in Smash, not his characteristics in SMRPG and liking him for his dialogue and etc there" seems like a backpedal. I didn't say you were calling people who don't like Geno are terrible. All I'm saying is that those posts combined kind-of give off an atmosphere of condescension to younger gamers that don't support Geno. You yourself probably don't have that attitude, but I was just pointing out the atmosphere it gives off. What am I "trying real hard" to do? I'm just pointing out an observation. Put me on your ignore list then, I don't mind. I don't even know who you are.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I can see and partially agree with a lot of stuff said, but we can't really pin down who exactly will be mad at the end of the day. I am younger and have never played the game, heck, I am a KH fan. I just know that Geno is one of the most controversial character's for whatever reason. Age of the character is a big reason for his controversy from what I notice, but that comes from a variety of people. And I have seen people who played SMRPG and just don't think he is that deserving after all these years, so there's that.

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
so uh... on a different note, on the chance that Geno does get in, do we think he might have a stage? Or would he just more fit in the Mario universe at large? If so, what do you think would be the source material for that stage?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
so uh... on a different note, on the chance that Geno does get in, do we think he might have a stage? Or would he just more fit in the Mario universe at large? If so, what do you think would be the source material for that stage?
I think it will partially intend on whether they see Geno is apart of the Mushroom symbol, or if he is split off due to his more spin off and/or third party nature. This thread has had much discussion on what his stage could be and the answer tends to vary. Lot of people think the Forest Maze, there is the possibility of a Smithy Gang related stage like Exor or the Axen Rangers Ship, Booster's Tower is another noted choice, the list goes on.

Lisbon Mapping

Smash Apprentice
The forest maze seems like it would be the most likely, as it's one of the most iconic locations in SMRPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom