• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This happened last week too. I don't think we should expect a big update.

Maybe the Tuesday shift guy is just slow

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
This happened last week too. I don't think we should expect a big update.

Maybe the Tuesday shift guy is just slow
Yeah likely nothing. did we ever get a character reveal straight from a blog post in past games? or was it always some other big event?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yeah likely nothing. did we ever get a character reveal straight from a blog post in past games? or was it always some other big event?
In Melee and Brawl characters reveals were just on random days

With Smash 4 apparently they were only in directs

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
In Melee and Brawl characters reveals were just on random days

With Smash 4 apparently they were only in directs
oh so than yeah if they are continuing that trend then we shouldn't really expect any characters from the blog.
honestly that is the sad part about the blog this time. since they showed us what is probably most of the game we probably are not gonna even get any real information from the blog. except for music and maybe really minor things.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
oh so than yeah if they are continuing that trend then we shouldn't really expect any characters from the blog.
honestly that is the sad part about the blog this time. since they showed us what is probably most of the game we probably are not gonna even get any real information from the blog. except for music and maybe really minor things.
That's probably how it's going to be, but there really isn't a set pattern.

Especially with less time and less characters it's probably going to be all directs.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
The one valuable thing we could get are new assist trophies which, if they reveal popular candidates for them, would give us deconfirmations.

That's on the more negative side of things but hey, better to know now than later. Rip the bandaid off and all.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
That's probably how it's going to be, but there really isn't a set pattern.

Especially with less time and less characters it's probably going to be all directs.
Man, I miss the Brawl Dojo days. Every day could potentially hold this huge surprise...much more exciting than waiting for directs/events. Perhaps we really are going back to that, but we just haven't had it happen yet?

At least I can fool myself into thinking that until it's confirmed they'll be 4-styled updates...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Looks like it's just Moray Towers tonight.

Waste of time. >_>

Edit: Looks like it has a neat day/night cycle though.
I had to click the European one to see that. Neither the Japanese or American one is updated. STILL. At least for me.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I had to click the European one to see that. Neither the Japanese or American one is updated. STILL. At least for me.
That's so weird, because it was the American one only for me. Japan hadn't even updated. Those guys at Nintendo need to get it together, lol.

Honestly though, I think I might just start skipping the blogs at this point. There's a nice roundup on the switch news section every week, so maybe I'll just check that out once a week.

...who am I kidding? I know I'm gonna keep checking every day...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I always forget to check until someone mentions something about it being late. But I haven't missed anything yet

Smady

Smash Master
I really can't imagine you can experience a game's "magic" while having a veteran of the game guide you through it and literally using codes to break the rules of the game but I respect what you're saying.
I regret using the word "guide." It was more like I was playing the game with my friend right there on the couch. They weren't spoiling anything, or giving me hints. just telling me if I was going to miss some content.

Frankly Mario and Peach break the game more than the codes I had, I just wanted some challenge. As a veteran JRPG player I don't enjoy cake walks. If this was my first JRPG maybe. Still I had plenty of fun.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've actually never used Peach because my original draw to the game was being able to play as Bowser for the first time.

So I've always used Bowser. The team I use is Mario, Geno, and Bowser

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I've actually never used Peach because my original draw to the game was being able to play as Bowser for the first time.

Peach is broken though. She can heal the whole team and herself at the same time.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace

Yeah that was huge. Other than Super Mario Kart, you never were able to play as Bowser before!

Smady

Smash Master
I'd say Peach > Mario > Geno ≥ Bowser > Mallow

Peach not only has great heals, they get rid of status effects. She's the only character who can revive and has a heal all spell. Besides her spell the only other way to heal the whole party is incredibly rare KerokoCola. Her magic is great too.

Mario is still kind of broken but that's only if you abuse his jump specials. His stats are overtuned a little, he's clearly the best in that regard. The other three have clear weaknesses like Geno's frailty, Bowser's magic defence/spell utility and Mallow's spell utility/attack damage.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yeah that was huge. Other than Super Mario Kart, you never were able to play as Bowser before!
Yeah, and I didn't get to play Super Mario Kart until after I played Mario RPG

Fan Fact: I asked for Super Mario Kart for Christmas one year and my dad got me an N64 and Mario Kart 64 instead

I'd say Peach > Mario > Geno > Bowser > Mallow

Peach not only has great heals, they get rid of status effects. She's the only character who can revive and has a heal all spell. Besides her spell the only other way to heal the whole party is incredibly rare KerokoCola. Her magic is great too.

Mario is still kind of broken but that's only if you abuse his jump specials. His stats are overtuned a little, he's clearly the best in that regard. The other three have clear weaknesses like Geno's frailty, Bowser's magic defence/spell utility and Mallow's spell utility/attack damage.
Plus you can give her Lazy shell and she's pretty much invulnerable without having to suffer as much consequences as the other characters.

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master
Peach + Lazy Shell, that's so broken. That item really should give out less stat bonuses. Though in fairness I did require it to beat Culex without grinding. I did also have the party of Bowser/Geno/Mallow so I doubt anyone has done that fight legit.

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I had a friend who's a fan guiding me through the game, so believe me I missed none of the magic. In fact he pointed out many secrets and other things while making sure I didn't miss anything noteworthy.

The analysis is a reaction to the kinds of discussion that I've seen/heard about for this game. Every nook and cranny has been analyzed. I still didn't spoil myself on the story or bosses and was able to enjoy them fresh for the first time. There's definitely two sides to this game, and I doubt it'd ever happen but you can easily see what they could improve in a remake.
good deal, and I agree.

If only we could get the original team who had the passion to do justice with #2

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
My “tier” list for SMRPG is Peach > Geno > Mario > Bowser > Mallow

Peach is a gamebreaker with her healing. Geno has unmatched speed and power along with weak defense. Mario is great but I don’t have the patience to abuse super/ultra jumps in every fight. I just get the 100 for the super suit and then mainly use physical attacks with him. Bowser is a tank with some of the most fun weapons and using him never gets old. I always have every intention of using Mallow when I start a new game but goddamn he just doesn’t measure up. He’s not bad, but he doesn’t stand out anywhere like everyone else so he just feels lackluster

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Now I need to replay Super Mario RPG... as if I can reliably play through RPGs and don’t have like 15 great ones to play through. Super Mario RPG and Pokémon helped me get into RPGs, but I’ve always struggled sticking to other longer RPGs (I’ll finish final fantasy VII and Chrono Trigger one day I suppose)

Smady

Smash Master
My “tier” list for SMRPG is Peach > Geno > Mario > Bowser > Mallow

Peach is a gamebreaker with her healing. Geno has unmatched speed and power along with weak defense. Mario is great but I don’t have the patience to abuse super/ultra jumps in every fight. I just get the 100 for the super suit and then mainly use physical attacks with him. Bowser is a tank with some of the most fun weapons and using him never gets old. I always have every intention of using Mallow when I start a new game but goddamn he just doesn’t measure up. He’s not bad, but he doesn’t stand out anywhere like everyone else so he just feels lackluster
Mario isn't that great if you don't use him as intended. When you do use his jumps correctly he's very broken. Ironically Mallow's best spell Star Rain requires a similar and annoying gimmick as the Mario jumps, and that's his only good spell. Mallow's other spells are also really long winded/have annoying gimmicks compared to the other cast members. It's like they wanted him to be the runt.

Bowser is pretty underrated. He's a great tank and can do the best physical damage in the game besides Mario. It's arguable for me if he or Geno are third best.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Now I need to replay Super Mario RPG... as if I can reliably play through RPGs and don’t have like 15 great ones to play through. Super Mario RPG and Pokémon helped me get into RPGs, but I’ve always struggled sticking to other longer RPGs (I’ll finish final fantasy VII and Chrono Trigger one day I suppose)
Definitely finish Chrono Trigger. It is one of the best RPGs ever!

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Geno actua
Mario isn't that great if you don't use him as intended. When you do use his jumps correctly he's very broken. Ironically Mallow's best spell Star Rain requires a similar and annoying gimmick as the Mario jumps, and that's his only good spell. Mallow's other spells are also really long winded/have annoying gimmicks compared to the other cast members. It's like they wanted him to be the runt.

Bowser is pretty underrated. He's a great tank and can do the best physical damage in the game besides Mario. It's arguable for me if he or Geno are third best.
Geno actually has the single highest physical attack in the game, over mario and bowser

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
That July 22nd K. Rool and Dixie leak is seeming more real.

It said there would be a Direct a lot of other sources are saying it's likely. It said there would be Mario Kart 8 DLC and more Kirby Star Allies DLC and Nintendo recently said there is but didn't go into details. It said it would show off the 3rd gym in Pokemon Let's Go and they showed off the 2nd gym not too long ago (oddly specific to say Lt. Surge's gym and not just say "they'd show a gym" because the latter is easy to guess). It said they'd show off Mario, Pokemon and Zelda Funko Pops and it recently came out that there will be Pokemon Funko Pops.

If they reveal K. Rool this Sunday, the leak might be true! But then that means we won't see a Geno reveal until after the game comes out. I dunno if they'd just want to keep some characters actually secret and not reveal them.. OR if they'll be DLC (I hope they're secret).

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Can you

It said there would be a Direct a lot of other sources are saying it's likely. It said there would be Mario Kart 8 DLC and more Kirby Star Allies DLC and Nintendo recently said there is but didn't go into details. It said it would show off the 3rd gym in Pokemon Let's Go and they showed off the 2nd gym not too long ago (oddly specific to say Lt. Surge's gym and not just say "they'd show a gym" because the latter is easy to guess). It said they'd show off Mario, Pokemon and Zelda Funko Pops and it recently came out that there will be Pokemon Funko Pops.

If they reveal K. Rool this Sunday, the leak might be true! But then that means we won't see a Geno reveal until after the game comes out. I dunno if they'd just want to keep some characters actually secret and not reveal them.. OR if they'll be DLC (I hope they're secret).
Can you link me to that leak? I don’t remember seeing Geno listed on that leak with the funko pops but i probably read 20 leaks a day so I could be mistaken

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Can you

Can you link me to that leak? I don’t remember seeing Geno listed on that leak with the funko pops but i probably read 20 leaks a day so I could be mistaken
The Old Man leak said that Dixie and K Rool would be revealed this month

Then the Funko leak came out and gave a date for a direct happening this month in which K Rool and Dixie were released.

Both would have to be true for that

It IS possible one could be a coincidence

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
The Old Man leak said that Dixie and K Rool would be revealed this month

Then the Funko leak came out and gave a date for a direct happening this month in which K Rool and Dixie were released.

Both would have to be true for that

It IS possible one could be a coincidence
To be honest I feel like i have seen numerous leaks saying K Rool and Dixie were coming this month but with otherwise conflicting infomation.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope to hell that it’d be true and Geno is in, I just don’t want to be burned by assuming theyre the same because they have one (not very unique) “guess” in common

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
My hopes are high, but thankfully they'll only be high for 5 days, then I can rest easy knowing K. Rool is in, or that was another lucky but mostly inaccurate guess and all leaks are poop.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
As much as I would love for the K. Rool fans to finally get their wish, he's actually the most hype newcomer (outside of 3rd parties) that they could put in the game. It would make more sense to save him until closer to release.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Apparently Nintendo is bringing Smash to Comic Con. Has anyone noticed the amount of Smash Nintendo is putting out right now? First two tourneys so close to each other, and now them going to Comic Con as well.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
At least the influx of videos is a nice thing, meaning we can get a lot of footage of existing characters. For the past two games, we'd get gameplay footage like twice a year, apart from the videos showcasing the new fighters.

Guess it's better than nothing at all.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
At least the influx of videos is a nice thing, meaning we can get a lot of footage of existing characters. For the past two games, we'd get gameplay footage like twice a year, apart from the videos showcasing the new fighters.

Guess it's better than nothing at all.
Beck from Mighty No 9 confirmed

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Hmmmm... The Funko Leak called for a Direct on the 22nd, and with Nintendo confirming Smash Ultimate will be at Comic-Con..

The last day of SDCC is the 22nd. :drflip:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace

I hope it's right too. I don't care if I have to wait until after the game comes out to get Geno playable.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Another thing about that leak, it said that Metal Sonic would be announced to be playable in the future for Sonic Mania. Now, idk how many of you have been keeping up with the Sonic Mania shorts, but the final one came out today and it was quite intresting in it's regaurd to Metal Sonic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HSc3ASFoG8

ZelDan

Smash Master
Isn't this leak that's being talked about the same one that had some pretty outlandish stuff like FFVII remake, Cuphead, and KHIII coming to Switch? Or is there some other leak I'm not aware of?

Not to rain down on the parade or anything and I'd be down for Geno in Smash, just throwing that out there.

Last edited:

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
Posted this in the Smash Ultimate thread, so figured I would add it here as well.

Here is an old moveset created by a Geno supporter back in the Sm4sh days. What do yall think of this for a potential moveset?

Interesting ideas. I was trying to think of how his star power could be incorporated, though i think the weakness here is that it would either have to be totally drained with any special move (a la cloud's limit) and with cloud's nerfs to that in Ultimate, it might become something more situational. A way that i have thought before about trying to do it would be having it appear before his other special moves like a charge, but the only one that could be retained would be geno beam. The others would get increased range and attack, but obviously more telegraphed and committed in exchange. (geno whirl wouldn't be chargable in this scenairo, keeping the timed hit thing).

I like that geno whirl is the only timed hit, though i could still see it being spammed if people got good enough with it, like jigglypuff's rest has a ton of risk with it since she has to be inside the opponent. I guess this could be a super laggy move otherwise, like geno can't move until the disc disappears or he gets hit, so there is a high commitment to the move for it's power.

(name correction, it's geno flash not blast for the down B, blast is the big cannon) Interesting interpretation here, though I wonder why it's so short height-wise. The move itself seems to generate from the sky so something more akin to pika's thunder bolt. It would be interesting to see it increase in horizontal range through charging. ( i could see it be one blast next to geno if just pressed like pika's and then add more pillars for a longer charge happening one after the other spreading to either side of him).

yeah, it truly is the up B that is so hard to figure out. I kind of like this version, but i think it might be better served to keep his star-like nature a taunt or entrance animation than a move.

Well considering his abilities he'd be some sort of zoning character. probably a powerful one at that.
Mario height sounds right. maybe not quite light weight but a little lighter then Mario.and yes I'd see him being fairly fast. not in the league of the fastest characters. but still decently fast (granted everyone is faster in ultimate) a little floaty maybe. but maybe not too much. I think he could have some basic combos but not heavily focused on it. since mainly he'd be about strong long range options.
so a long range megaman then? adding power for lack of weight (since mega's heavy)? in order to be viable at all though he needs at least two bread and butter combos, at least not to be completely destroyed in the cqc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom