• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Oh, you're right, it is. I don't usually check the Japanese one, lol.

Well, probably nothing from this event, then...
Not even the Japanese site for me. I just looked at the English site when people in the Ashley thread pointed it out a couple hours ago and there it was.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Not even the Japanese site for me. I just looked at the English site when people in the Ashley thread pointed it out a couple hours ago and there it was.
That's weird, it's not showing up for me

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I'd love to have Geno back for the spin-off games. It would be awesome to see him in Mario Kart and other games like that.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'd love to have Geno back for the spin-off games. It would be awesome to see him in Mario Kart and other games like that.
I think we all would, but I only see that happening if Nintendo were to get full rights to the character. I don't think Nintendno would go through paying royalties for such minor(And I mean minor in comparison to the likely sizable cost for using Geno) playable roles.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I think we all would, but I only see that happening if Nintendo were to get full rights to the character. I don't think Nintendno would go through paying royalties for such minor(And I mean minor in comparison to the likely sizable cost for using Geno) playable roles.
Yeah. You'd think the rights to the SMRPG crew would be fairly cheap. I mean, Square can't use them either. Who knows why they have never dealt with trying to get those characters back. Probably didn't think they were very popular back then. Maybe all the Geno hype in the last ten years has helped change that viewpoint.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah. You'd think the rights to the SMRPG crew would be fairly cheap. I mean, Square can't use them either. Who knows why they have never dealt with trying to get those characters back. Probably didn't think they were very popular back then. Maybe all the Geno hype in the last ten years has helped change that viewpoint.
It's weird. Nintendo has never really tried to get the characters due to the conflict they had with Square afterwards. Square have never really used the characters again due to the strange nature of their Mario third party nature making it awkward to place them in any other property without explanation. If Geno were to get into Smash, I am sure Nintendo would have interest getting the characters, but Square would likely ask for a greater price due to the regained popularity and wider public interest.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
It's weird. Nintendo has never really tried to get the characters due to the conflict they had with Square afterwards. Square have never really used the characters again due to the strange nature of their Mario third party nature making it awkward to place them in any other property without explanation. If Geno were to get into Smash, I am sure Nintendo would have interest getting the characters, but Square would likely ask for a greater price due to the regained popularity and wider public interest.
Yeah. Just weird that Nintendo wouldn't have tried early on. But, hey, now is as good a time as any I guess. I would just really like to see Mallow and Geno in other games in the future. Paper Mario, M&L series, etc.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Oh hey Abadango showed up to this event! :D
man I wonder how long this event goes? they have switched like 8 times by now

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Yup! well at least I enjoyed seeing more smash footage. rip my dreams for Geno for Mario Tennis xD

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I decided to finally click the link to the stream right as it ended, lol

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The 22nd? Isn't that the supposed "leaked" direct?

I still don't expect anything though

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's also another tournament. Look it up yourself, it's there. So there is a lot to look forward to and see what happens.
I just mean it'd be interesting if they had the smash direct airing worldwide to reveal whatever information they reveal at said tournament.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
There is another one of these on the 22nd. More Smash and Aces is I recall.
after having watched it I feel like it would be a mistake to assume the exact same event will contain an announcement the second time around.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just mean it'd be interesting if they had the smash direct airing worldwide to reveal whatever information they reveal at said tournament.
It would be neat. Perhaps the people at the tourney could get a front row seat to it live on the big screen.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
If Geno get revealed after this month I wouldn't see it or know about after long period of time I wish I could join the Geno hype when that day comes but I will probably Be very late to know because of military starting for me and it's going to be for 1.5 year but I hope I stay alive and see one of my biggest wish granted.

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Rate this 8 man tag team battle.
Mario, Geno, Bowser & Peach
Vs
Donkey Kong, Diddy, Kirby & Samus

Oh yeah, Super Nes era

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master
I completed SMRPG for the first time a couple days ago. Fairly unique experience; I used some codes to make it so I could play as Bowser, Geno and Mallow after Booster's tower, so no Mario and no Peach. Those two characters, especially Peach, make the game far too easy.

Apparently the general consensus is Bowser is the worst next to Mallow, is that really true? In my experience, Bowser was by far the best of this trio as both the tank and primary damage dealer when Geno Boost was available. The worst party member is easily Mallow. His terrible attack damage and awkward magic that has bad/non-existent healing compared to Peach means he's usually the one reserved to heal or throw the Pick Me Up.

A lot of the time fights just revolve around the inventory limit and Pick Me Ups. It's an odd sort of balance. You basically have infinite money but all you need is Pick Me Ups and the occasional mushroom the entire game.

Geno himself is so weak defensively, he was commonly the first to go down in fights. He has absolutely awful magic defence. Keeping in mind I did level up only his power, guess that might've been part of it, but at least Mallow has high magic defence going full magic, far more relevant than high defence in this game. Bowser had such naturally high HP he could tank magic for the most part when I went all into his power on level up.

I can see why Geno might've caught on as the star of this game just from the very imbalanced party choices. Geno is the obvious back up to Mario compared to Bowser, whose spells suck, and Mallow, who is easily the worst party member in the game. Geno has a fairly decent selection of spells too and as Peach is broken, it's obviously going to be Mario/Peach/Geno or Mario/Peach/Bowser. I just find that is very, very easy and broken. The challenge that Bowser/Geno/Mallow presented made the game a lot more palatable.

As a character Geno has the third most lines after Bowser and Mallow. Funnily enough Peach has almost no lines in the entire game? At best she's below many of the important bosses. Booster's obviously got more lines, it's just funny when she's not in the party my whole game how she seems totally irrelevant. That doesn't mean Geno gets to do a whole lot though, it's obvious he's the pick for this game because he's clearly the easiest character to translate to Smash. Good luck promoting Mallow's power set of random lightning spells, a rod and giant hands.

I also went back and defeated Culex after I beat Smithy. The whole game was pretty easy even doing my mod and Culex was a massive step up from the rest. I ended up just giving myself the lazy shell and egg via codes which breaks the game. Culex is a really badly designed super boss that relies entirely on RNG for his crystals and I was happy to cheese him down. Smithy on the other hand, as well as Booster, Dodo/Valentina and many of the weapons were both good boss fights and great characters. It's just lame how Peach's healing, Mario's spells and these items break the game.

After all that and going through the game I'm definitely a fan. So long as we get K. Rool I wouldn't be against Geno if only to get some SMRPG content.

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I feel sorry you had to have so many preconceived notions for your first completion and even used codes :C

On the Snes before the internet was in full access to me, it was just magic to me. You are correct that there is limited difficulty, but it has more than enough charm for players of any experience level. I'm just glad my analytical experience with the game happened after it took my heart.

But glad you enjoyed it!

Smady

Smash Master
I feel sorry you had to have so many preconceived notions for your first completion and even used codes :C

On the Snes before the internet was in full access to me, it was just magic to me. You are correct that there is limited difficulty, but it has more than enough charm for players of any experience level. I'm just glad my analytical experience with the game happened after it took my heart.

But glad you enjoyed it!
I had a friend who's a fan guiding me through the game, so believe me I missed none of the magic. In fact he pointed out many secrets and other things while making sure I didn't miss anything noteworthy.

The analysis is a reaction to the kinds of discussion that I've seen/heard about for this game. Every nook and cranny has been analyzed. I still didn't spoil myself on the story or bosses and was able to enjoy them fresh for the first time. There's definitely two sides to this game, and I doubt it'd ever happen but you can easily see what they could improve in a remake.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Do you know what would be awesome? After Geno is in Smash Bros, Square brings back the old cast and make a SMRPG 2 in the style of that new game Octopath for Switch.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Do you know what would be awesome? After Geno is in Smash Bros, Square brings back the old cast and make a SMRPG 2 in the style of that new game Octopath for Switch.
Square does now a division for making games on the Switch if I recall corectly, but I don't see SMRPG 2 happening in the style of Octopath. SMRPG may have come out at about the time of that classic RPG style Octopath is emulating, but the two styles clash very much. SMRPG was trying to feel like a 3D game, so I imagine a modern SMRPG would be a fully 3D game.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well no reveal yet

But it will be a matter of time before the drought ends they always do this after E3

Then later it's getting new stuff quite a bit

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I had a friend who's a fan guiding me through the game, so believe me I missed none of the magic. In fact he pointed out many secrets and other things while making sure I didn't miss anything noteworthy.

The analysis is a reaction to the kinds of discussion that I've seen/heard about for this game. Every nook and cranny has been analyzed. I still didn't spoil myself on the story or bosses and was able to enjoy them fresh for the first time. There's definitely two sides to this game, and I doubt it'd ever happen but you can easily see what they could improve in a remake.
I really can't imagine you can experience a game's "magic" while having a veteran of the game guide you through it and literally using codes to break the rules of the game but I respect what you're saying.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Hey random thought of mine from this interview (same one we discussed earlier)

"I think Mr. Sakurai hears it, but then I think he just muffles it out and puts in the characters that he wants to put in"
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...with_nintendos_bill_trinen_and_nate_bihldorff

hmmm he makes a fair point. I wonder is there any characters we know of that Sakurai has said he wanted?

"To tell the truth, it’s because I wanted Geno to be a playable character"
https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/21/nintendodream3/

hahaha okay yes I'm trying to strech things to make them work how I want xD but come on let a man dream!

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
I'm kind of suprised that you had such trouble with Geno. When I had him he was basically my biggest damage dealer and fastest character. Granted, I leveled up differently, but his biggest weakness has always been his defense.

new question to pose. how do you all think Geno would play in smash should he get in? i think it's generally agreed that he would be approx. mario size, but would he be lighter or heavier? fast or slow? big on combos or strong attacks?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
new question to pose. how do you all think Geno would play in smash should he get in? i think it's generally agreed that he would be approx. mario size, but would he be lighter or heavier? fast or slow? big on combos or strong attacks?
I imagine he would be lighter and more floaty due to his spirit nature, would of faster speed due to actually being one of the faster characters in SMRPG, and I imagine with him it would be about hitting hard. In SMRPG he was a glass cannon, with his massive attack and low defense, and always trying to get the first move out to hit the opponent.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Well considering his abilities he'd be some sort of zoning character. probably a powerful one at that.
Mario height sounds right. maybe not quite light weight but a little lighter then Mario.and yes I'd see him being fairly fast. not in the league of the fastest characters. but still decently fast (granted everyone is faster in ultimate) a little floaty maybe. but maybe not too much. I think he could have some basic combos but not heavily focused on it. since mainly he'd be about strong long range options.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
Regardless of what type of character he is I hope they integrate timed hits into his moveset. Like, Geno Boost offers a small attack boost to increase attack damage and knockback, but also boosts defense if the timed hit is successful, reducing knockback and damage taken.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Posted this in the Smash Ultimate thread, so figured I would add it here as well.

Here is an old moveset created by a Geno supporter back in the Sm4sh days. What do yall think of this for a potential moveset?

GenoMoveSet.jpg

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Posted this in the Smash Ultimate thread, so figured I would add it here as well.

Here is an old moveset created by a Geno supporter back in the Sm4sh days. What do yall think of this for a potential moveset?

That's an interesting way to do the Down B. It reminds me of, I believe it's the hit of Ike's Aether which unleashes a shockwave along the ground.

Really it's up B no one can really agree on

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

I really like this idea myself. I personally don't subscribe to the idea that every newcomer needs a gimmick to offer something new to Smash (no need to reinvent the wheel every time, as we've seen with Ridley), but Star Power seems like a fun idea that would be unique and faithful to his appearance in SMRPG, not to mention it gives us a way to balance Geno Whirl's timed hit. I'd love it if this were the Geno we got, but I'm not married to the idea.
But yeah, I generally agree with what people in this thread are saying as far as how Geno would play - light, quick, and powerful with a heavy emphasis on zoning. Basically, a speedy, projectile-based glass cannon just like in SMRPG, which I would love considering it fits my playstyle to a T. (I mean, look who my main is.) He obviously wouldn't be too fast or too powerful as not to be unbalanced, but he'd regardless be able to get around relatively quickly and hit hard from a safe distance, albeit likely with weaker CQC to balance out his strengths and reward people for getting past his projectiles.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583

I remember seeing that! Great concept, in my opinion. I don't think we have a character yet who's charge affects all specials--Cloud's over limit is close, but different. Either way, I really appreciate the illustrations in the moveset. Makes it feel more legitimate.

On a side note, these late blog updates are getting kinda annoying. It would be nice if we got a set time each day. Or even a time range. I mean, I'm sure it's just some info we already know, but still...

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I remember seeing that! Great concept, in my opinion. I don't think we have a character yet who's charge affects all specials--Cloud's over limit is close, but different. Either way, I really appreciate the illustrations in the moveset. Makes it feel more legitimate.

On a side note, these late blog updates are getting kinda annoying. It would be nice if we got a set time each day. Or even a time range. I mean, I'm sure it's just some info we already know, but still...
okay I was about to ask if it was just me who couldn't see it or something xD
I mean the day is almost over! at this rate won't even be todays update but an extra one of tomorrows!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom