• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

NukeA6

Smash Master
If he's not in the base game, he'll be DLC. It's ULTIMATE time! Also, if any franchise is going to have two music posts, it's Mario. Keep the faith!
And you best keep that mood if he becomes a Mii costume. Keep in mind that Smash 4 had some confirmed characters that also had Mii costumes (i.e. Luigi and Captain Falcon).

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I'm reminded today that Nintendo had to license the Forest Mushroom song to show it in Geno's mii outfit trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBxMmbhXBrI

I'm sure they spent all that money only to play it in a 10 second video.

He's in, boys.
Also, didn't production begin immediately after Smash 4? Like, they were doing DLC and starting Smash 5 at the same time. Those Mii costumes must've been a good way to test the waters, and with the special attention Geno's costume got.. He's gotta be in.
It really does make a lot of sense if you think about it, his costume even got a splash screen like a playable character would.

Incoming hot take.

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/432174058

Claims to be posting a video tomorrow or Friday. He has Geno on the list. Stay sharp boys and girls.
Actually if this were to turn out to be the final base roster, I wouldn’t even be mad, though I’m taking all of this with a grain of salt though.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Am I the only one who DOESN'T want to see a screenshot leak of the roster? Trailer reveals are way more exciting.
Yeah, I first saw Bowser Jr. in Smash 4 in a video of unlocking him put up on YouTube. I wish I'd seen the trailer first.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
As one of the comments point out. We have to remember that Verge isn't a smash exclusive leaker. Regardless, his info has been right so far. Let's just see where the rest of his info takes us. *crosses fingers*
Okay and perhaps he’s a freelance social engineer paid to drum up discussion about video games? Anyway, I don’t 100% stand behind the idea as if it’s fact, it’s just an interesting thing to think about.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Am I the only one who DOESN'T want to see a screenshot leak of the roster? Trailer reveals are way more exciting.
Honestly, I hope this leak is fake. I’d rather not be spoiled since waiting for the trailer is way more fun and has actual hype behind it.

Kooj Kooj

Smash Cadet
In previous smash games, I was quite disheartened with leaks. I feel like it somewhat ruins the excitement of a true reveal. With that being said, I'll be honest, I'm okay with any true leak at this point that declares Geno playable. Granted it's my own fault for over-investing myself, but I kind of feel like I'm being toyed with. It sounds silly to say, but just taking my mind off the constant "He's in" vs. "He's not." debate would be relaxing. It feels like every day that somebody has a new leak or theory screaming about him one way or another. Most leaks seem to include him because of his likelihood, but even leaks that don't include Geno go so far as to specify he isn't included. The whole "Hey guys also it's NOT Geno haHAA OmegaLUL othertwitchemotes.jpg" is just to rub it in people's face I guess? Or maybe it makes people feel their credibility is better to target him?... I can't honestly tell but it's just tiresome to constantly be tugged back and forth.

Man I just... I just wanna know, y'know?

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Incoming hot take.

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/432174058

Claims to be posting a video tomorrow or Friday. He has Geno on the list. Stay sharp boys and girls.
For me Octolings kill it. I feel in order to put them in we would need 8 more colors so to not confuse their ink spray with the other inklings. and i don't want them digging into the underbelly of bad ideas that was Mayonaise and Ketchup ink..... *Shiver*

this isn't even the first time one of these "guys I'm totally gonna post something in a few days!" has popped up. it's an easy way to get attention since people will be excited to know that whatever it is is coming soon. how old is this guys account? because it's he's probably gonna delete it friday.

Even if the music theory is true, remember the trailer specifically had the Geno mii costume as "Super Smash Bros x Mario RPG" so Geno could get his own icon.

It's weird, but if he's specifically labeled like that it could work.
Actually I looked at how they organized music in the last game. Mario Music from RPG games goes along with Mario Kart, party games, and even luigi's mansion. all goes with the second mushroom icon. so Geno probably is gonna be Mushroom. just you know second Mario Icon. he fits into music theory.

TBone06

Smash Ace
For me Octolings kill it. I feel in order to put them in we would need 8 more colors so to not confuse their ink spray with the other inklings. and i don't want them digging into the underbelly of bad ideas that was Mayonaise and Ketchup ink..... *Shiver*

this isn't even the first time one of these "guys I'm totally gonna post something in a few days!" has popped up. it's an easy way to get attention since people will be excited to know that whatever it is is coming soon. how old is this guys account? because it's he's probably gonna delete it friday.

Actually I looked at how they organized music in the last game. Mario Music from RPG games goes along with Mario Kart, party games, and even luigi's mansion. all goes with the second mushroom icon. so Geno probably is gonna be Mushroom. just you know second Mario Icon. he fits into music theory.
I guess the only thing is whether Sakurai would classify the two mushrooms as different on the website the same way he does in the game. I would hope so. I don't think it's an accident the way he reveals things on the blog. I don't think it's concrete, but I absolutely think there is a rhyme and reason behind it.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
well at least the leak will die quick if it's fake
That's why I don't get why you'd even bother with timed leaks. To make yourself seem more credible at the expense of the leak's possible longevity? All it really does though is make people not care at all, because we're just going to say "eh, well it'll be over soon anyway."

I don't get the strategy...but eh, at least it makes things mildly more interesting.

Kooj Kooj

Smash Cadet
That's why I don't get why you'd even bother with timed leaks. To make yourself seem more credible at the expense of the leak's possible longevity? All it really does though is make people not care at all, because we're just going to say "eh, well it'll be over soon anyway."

I don't get the strategy...but eh, at least it makes things mildly more interesting.
I think the strategy is delivery on a promise, whether or not you actually do. The whole point of it is to accrue a large amount of interest in a short period of time. It's the same way websites like Buzzfeed gain interest really quickly. For example, let's pretend there's an article called "3 reasons you'll love Andrew Garfield as Spiderman." Before you've actually even started reading it, you know -exactly- what to expect. It draws in a reader, because it delivers exactly what it promises, low investment, high return.

Same thing with a leak like this. I don't have to invest myself a lot in it because I know if I forget about it, then it was fake. If I don't forget about it, well I only need to think about it for a day or two before it fizzles or proves real. It's that low risk with a potential for a very high reward that gets people excited.

Actually, now that I think about it, it's basically gambling. Pretending to give the player good odds to gain a lot while secretly hiding that the player's odds of winning are pretty ****. But because each pull of the slot machine's lever only costs a quarter, why not give it a try? You could win millions!!!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Changed the title

The next line reads

"Come on! Let's get this show on the road!"

So, let's! And complete the star Road to light Geno's way home. Home, to Smash!

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Changed the title

The next line reads

"Come on! Let's get this show on the road!"

So, let's! And complete the star Road to light Geno's way home. Home, to Smash!
Perfect line leading up to our final few months.

I'm so excited! guys we're getting a whole new smash game! no veterans have been left behind! we are getting a fast paced system that looks to both be fun for Casual and competitive. So many awesome characters! (oh my gosh there will be SO MANY MATCHUPS to learn! xD ) a fresh start with rebalancing across the board! This is gonna be some wild meta we're about to head into! So many stages that are tournament viable. making us have to completely rethink stage picking for tournament rules! and crazy new possibilities like stage morph and squad strike!

and long time Wish's like Ridley and K. Rool have finally come true! Sakurai has been really listening to us with this game giving us all the changes we have been asking for! Now there is just one more wish to come true for me. the very image of Wishes. I think we are in for a wild ride.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
There was a Reddit thread earlier today asking why so many people think Geno is a lock. I don't think most of his supporters think he's a lock, but I can see why people looking from the outside might think that's the case.

But this answer in the comments sums up why I'm feeling pretty good about Geno's odds for Ultimate. Definitely read this if you've been thinking other Square-Enix characters might get in instead, cough PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate cough :p ):

xpNc said:
Vergeben is legit. That much is more or less without question. He's been told multiple times by multiple people that a Square Enix character is going to be in. Now I'm not sure exactly what role at the company would allow you to have that information without knowing who specifically the character is, but he's been told it enough times that he is certain it's true. He's also said that if he said the name of the character he's heard from one source and he turned out to be wrong, there'd be hell to pay. I can think of no other character with that kind of staying power and fanbase.

Let's go into this Square Enix character concept a bit further since it leads us to some interesting outcomes. An important fact to remember going in to Ultimate is that Sakurai already licensed Geno from Square Enix. A character's likeness in the form of a costume (an incredibly detailed costume a la K. Rool, I might add) is legally the exact same thing as the character itself. Permission has already been granted to use the character.

Now let's expand on this with some logical deductions. A Square Enix character is in. Sakurai already has permission to use Geno. Realistically speaking, it would be more of a bureaucratic difficulty to put in a SE character that wasn't Geno. They'd have to go through yet another round of negotiations and shelling out money for permission to use whatever character that was, and it's pretty clear from the content we've seen that all of the licenses SE granted Nintendo in Smash 4 have carried over to Ultimate. We've got Cloud. We've got Midgar. We've got both songs. If there were renegotiations, I sincerely doubt we'd only have the same two songs. It's pretty clear to me that whatever agreement Nintendo and Square Enix had applied to both games.

While we're on the subject of music, Nintendo used "Beware the Forest's Mushrooms" during the Mii costume reveal. This is a song that would have required licensing, all for a 10 second video clip?

When you combine this with the comments Sakurai has made before, saying very directly that he's wanted to put Geno in the game for over a decade now, I think it would actually be offensive to not put him in. He knows the popularity of the character. We've gotten Ridley and K. Rool. The only logical conclusion I can come to is Geno being in as well.

I'm not even a longtime Geno supporter. I've been around Smash speculation since the early Brawl days so I have a bit of a soft spot for him, but I'm mostly just recognizing what makes the most sense. It'd almost be poetic at this point to finally see him join the battle.

Last edited:

tyrus+

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6650-4457-4607
At this point, I'd be more surprised if Geno wasn't in. The stars are aligning for him, and our Starboi needs to come back.

Solmatter

Smash Cadet
Can anybody explain the recent surge in negativity in regards to Geno? I mean, people have always been pretty mean about him, but it seems extra bad as his chances get better... Meanwhile, I don't think Geno's true fans are the type (or the age) to be mean to people about their picks. We just want our boi... what gives?

tyrus+

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6650-4457-4607
Can anybody explain the recent surge in negativity in regards to Geno? I mean, people have always been pretty mean about him, but it seems extra bad as his chances get better... Meanwhile, I don't think Geno's true fans are the type (or the age) to be mean to people about their picks. We just want our boi... what gives?
Probably because they believe most of us hated on Isabelle when she was revealed, and some did, though it was a vocal minority. I saw this happening to Isaac as well.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Probably because they believe most of us hated on Isabelle when she was revealed, and some did, though it was a vocal minority. I saw this happening to Isaac as well.
I don't think that's it. It's not like Isabelle dislike was solely from Geno fans.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
Box Theory has been particularly brutal on the fan favorites. Isaac, Geno, Skull Kid, Bandana Dee, all of them went from really hyped to nothing in the span of like 6 hours. A lot of detractors came out of the woodwork to enjoy everyone's unhappiness

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Also I think with things like box theory coming up I think people are starting to realize there are not many spots left for new characters. and with it becoming so evident that Geno's chances are so high. and likely the next big surprise reveal alongside Ridley and K. Rool. possibly the last reveal after Incineroar and Ken. people are directing their fears of their character not getting in at Geno. because he is in their eyes not worthy of the spot.
which from the outside I can understand people thinking that. he is an unusal case. people just don't know how impactful his game was to the world of Mario way back when. and how much he means to us older fans.

anyways to answer an earlier question I think I do want a leak showing Geno is confirmed for real to pop up just so I can stop stressing about it. although in the long run once ultimate is out I'll probably look back and change my mind. either being happy it wasn't fully leaked. or sad that it was.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
The thing is when a character becomes a natural next in line frontrunner after K.Rool and become the focus of attention, detractors find the next thing to focus their hate on. Same thing with Isaac. Since the newcomer count is limited this time people get more defensive over "slots" and take it too much to heart when another character is more popular than their character

Duck$mash

Smash Cadet
I honestly really hope there is no leak or verification for Geno, because I want to watch the direct and be stunned and in awe when he is revealed. Knowing he's in would only lessen that for me.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Same thing as every Smash cycle, sour grapes. Bandana Dee, Shantae, and Isaac are getting a lot of it lately too. It's usually backflow from fanbases of characters who aren't as popular or have already had their characters disconfirmed.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Seems like an unpopular opinion, but I’m just ready to know the whole roster. Just so I can know if the remaining characters I want are in now and I can adjust my hype accordingly (which is still through the roof mind you). The trailers may be incredible, but knowing about them before hand never made them less incredible given their quality.

I’m just less inclined to deal with the next couple of months of potentially frustrating speculation given the past week and the I’m pretty impatient when it comes to Smash anyway. I’d also just like to know how many more newcomers we’re getting in general.

Let me know if I’ve gotten Geno and/or Isaac in the game. I need one more to cement this game further in my mind as the true celebration to the fans, though preferably both. I mean the game already is, but it’d be nice to see that taken even further.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
If any of you guys are getting frustrated or stressed because of these last couple of months before the game’s release, then by all means, take a step back from the speculation scene and try to focus on something else until the next direct is announced.

Smash Bros. is serious business as I have learned, what with all of the leaks, theories, hate from other character fanbases, and the fear of “slots being taken up”. At the end of the day, we never 100% know what Sakurai’s gonna do, so we might as well enjoy the ride. :)

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
If any of you guys are getting frustrated or stressed because of these last couple of months before the game’s release, then by all means, take a step back from the speculation scene and try to focus on something else until the next direct is announced.

Smash Bros. is serious business as I have learned, what with all of the leaks, theories, hate from other character fanbases, and the fear of “slots being taken up”. At the end of the day, we never 100% know what Sakurai’s gonna do, so we might as well enjoy the ride. :)
the wait is killing me but could be worse though. Should be grateful :)

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
A downloadable demo would actually help with the wait. I could understand them not doing that though.
Easy to datamine if you can get your hands on it unless you've spent a lot of time removing evidence of everything that isn't there.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
There was a Reddit thread earlier today asking why so many people think Geno is a lock. I don't think most of his supporters think he's a lock, but I can see why people looking from the outside might think that's the case.

But this answer in the comments sums up why I'm feeling pretty good about Geno's odds for Ultimate. Definitely read this if you've been thinking other Square-Enix characters might get in instead, cough PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate cough :p ):
That xpNc character sounds like a real smart guy

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
We’re just waiting for this supposed video from 4chan I guess.

Stanley the Bugman. Hah. I like it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wouldn't hold your breath.

There have been hundreds of leaks that said they'd upload proof in a couple days but never do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom