• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
If I've been keeping up right, I think so?
Anyone knows where that one came from or was found?
If I had to guess...probably 4chan. I don't trust much from that site, but this image...

Something about it always gives me hope. I really, REALLY want it to be real. This is exactly how I want Geno to look in Smash.

If this image is fake, I'd love to see it full and higher res. Strange no one's admitted to making it, though. All other renders have been claimed or debunked.

There's something special about this.

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
on topic: what was it that made you guys warm up to geno? specifically anyone who was initially against his inclusion? id like to know the story about your change of heart.
I used to play the game with my cousin when he used to have it before he had to.... Throw it away because of his parents. (Don't ask me why, we still don't know to this day).
Then years went by and I kinda forgot about him, until recently.
I don't really remember exactly how but I have to credit Loopy Lupe for that. I was on DeviantArt and I was looking at Luigi fanarts when I was in the phase of the Green Boi. There was one of the 7 Stars Comic in the recommendation and I took a look.

Needless to say, I was hooked. I watched Chugga's LP later on as well as Caprisun's and I grew attached to him.

Then I learned about you guys when Smash4 was happening and the ballot happened as well. And well, here I am today. Still supporting our Starboi and hoping for his return :)

Last edited:

kingkalamari

Smash Cadet
That render reminds me of that one gif of Geno looking at a computer and then away again. Though maybe that gif was based on that render? Who knows...
Somebody made that gif as a response to the "leaked" photo, as Geno has an eyeroll expression in the leaked photo.

The original photo also came with a photo of Dixie Kong and Banjo, claiming Banjo had two different movesets first being just him and his down B pulled out Kazooie for a ranged set of attacks. Dixie's model was interesting because she had kneepads on, something she hasnt worn since DKC days.

I really wish that Geno render could be real as it looks perfect, but I get the feeling it was just someone who made a really good head model based off the Mii costume and made little tweaks to make it look different. I bet the reason the hands arent in the photo is because one is the mii gunner Geno hand.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That render reminds me of that one gif of Geno looking at a computer and then away again. Though maybe that gif was based on that render? Who knows...
It's based on the render. Psycho posted the gif the other day along with the creator's tweet. Also, yes, I don't think anyone has stepped forward to claim it yet.

On another topic, what three pieces of music from SMRPG would you all want remixed in this game?

-Beware the Forest's Mushrooms is pretty much inevitable because most people see it as Geno's theme more so than Geno's actual theme Geno Awakens/Goodbye Geno. I'd honestly like a mash up of them all to create a definitive Geno theme.

-All the battle themes in Mario RPG were really, really good. If I was forced to chose one, I'd go with Fight Against an Armed Boss because Shimomura somehow made a bassoon sound badass, not to mention the fantastic baseline. The rolling snare in Fight Against a Somewhat Stronger Monster is really iconic too though...

-There's just so many good tracks to choose but if I had to cave and pick one last one it'd probably be And My Name is Booster because of the tenor sax and bass guitar in it, perfectly capturing old, old school rock n roll. Now that I'm older, it always reminds me of the Rocky Horror Picture Show sound track too which for me personally lays on the nostalgia extra thick because it was a big part of my college years.

Klimax

Smash Ace
- Beware the Forest's Mushroom, a classic and we all know that if we get Geno, we get this song.

- Fight Against Smithy, one of my favorite theme in the game, the intro is just awesome and the rest is also really cool.

- The music of the Mine Cart Ride is awesome, I love it, it's just so fun.

Also I would like the first 20 seconds of the sword descends and the stars scatter to be the intro of a song, I really love it.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Lots of great tracks to choose from. Lots of great suggestions too.
-Like many have said before me, Beware The Forest Mushrooms is an obvious one.
-The Bowser battle theme is great, and I would live to hear it in game, but it’s probably unecessary considering we got fortress boss theme from Super Mario Bros 3.
-Fight against an armed boss is awesome, with the combinations of bass and brass in the song.

link2702

Smash Champion
The theme showing off all the characters shortly after the title screen(sorry too tired atm to look it up) I personally think that should be a piece in it, either remixed or original. Could even be his trailer theme as it could work.

The first battle against smithy theme.

The normal battle theme.

Obviously beware the forest mushrooms is gonna be in. I’m indifferent on that piece overall as it’s never been one of my favorites, but it is pretty much synonymous with geno now.

The theme of mushroom way
The theme of bandit’s way.

Gah there’s too many pieces to choose from.

I can’t remember the official names of all of them and too tired now to google em, but I’m sure folks here know which pieces I mean...

Edit: hey here’s a question, stage wise, how would you feel if his stage was kinda like skyward swords? Where it moves constantly between familiar areas in smrpg? Probably never gonna happen but I think it’d be awesome if we got to basically see all areas of the world in detailed 3d, even if it’s all just in the background. Cycling from bowsers keep to the mushroom Kingdom all the way through to moleville and nimbus land and back again.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
And on a lighter note, I know the Geno boys are used to being disappointed (I will remember your trip to Japan Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ) but one thing I do know is that all evidence points to our boy in blue.

Vergeben is legit. That much is more or less without question. He's been told multiple times by multiple people that a Square Enix character is going to be in. Now I'm not sure exactly what role at the company would allow you to have that information without knowing who specifically the character is, but he's been told it enough times that he is certain it's true. He's also said that if he said the name of the character he's heard from one source and he turned out to be wrong, there'd be hell to pay. I can think of no other character with that kind of staying power and fanbase.

Let's go into this Square Enix character concept a bit further since it leads us to some interesting outcomes. An important fact to remember going in to Ultimate is that Sakurai already licensed Geno from Square Enix. A character's likeness in the form of a costume is legally the exact same thing as the character itself. Permission has already been granted to use the character.

Now let's expand on this with some logical deductions. A Square Enix character is in. Sakurai already has permission to use Geno. Realistically speaking, it would be more of a bureaucratic difficulty to put in a SE character that wasn't Geno. They'd have to go through yet another round of negotiations and shelling out money for permission to use whatever character that was, and it's pretty clear from the content we've seen that all of the licenses SE granted Nintendo in Smash 4 have carried over to Ultimate. We've got Cloud. We've got Midgar. We've got both songs. If there were renegotiations, I sincerely doubt we'd have the same two songs only. It's pretty clear to me that whatever agreement Nintendo and Square Enix had applied to both games.

I don't think the comments made by Sakurai with regard to Geno need to be repeated for me to make my point here.
All the more reason to believe Geno is in the game! It all adds up to the obvious conclusion! :D

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Beware the Forest Mushrooms is a must. It IS Geno.

Also, I would love the Forest Maze as a Stage with Bowyer as the Stage Hazard that locks buttons for a period of time.

I am curious more about this "Spirit's Mode" if there are more bosses. Smithy would work well with his big size and his different "modes" he switches back in forth ... it seems very fitting.

Though ... the Axem Rangers ....

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Edit: hey here’s a question, stage wise, how would you feel if his stage was kinda like skyward swords? Where it moves constantly between familiar areas in smrpg? Probably never gonna happen but I think it’d be awesome if we got to basically see all areas of the world in detailed 3d, even if it’s all just in the background. Cycling from bowsers keep to the mushroom Kingdom all the way through to moleville and nimbus land and back again.
An underrated idea; I like it.

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
It's based on the render. Psycho posted the gif the other day along with the creator's tweet. Also, yes, I don't think anyone has stepped forward to claim it yet.

On another topic, what three pieces of music from SMRPG would you all want remixed in this game?

-Beware the Forest's Mushrooms is pretty much inevitable because most people see it as Geno's theme more so than Geno's actual theme Geno Awakens/Goodbye Geno. I'd honestly like a mash up of them all to create a definitive Geno theme.

-All the battle themes in Mario RPG were really, really good. If I was forced to chose one, I'd go with Fight Against an Armed Boss because Shimomura somehow made a bassoon sound badass, not to mention the fantastic baseline. The rolling snare in Fight Against a Somewhat Stronger Monster is really iconic too though...

-There's just so many good tracks to choose but if I had to cave and pick one last one it'd probably be And My Name is Booster because of the tenor sax and bass guitar in it, perfectly capturing old, old school rock n roll. Now that I'm older, it always reminds me of the Rocky Horror Picture Show sound track too which for me personally lays on the nostalgia extra thick because it was a big part of my college years.
Personally, I'd like to see the Culex theme in the game.

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
i wish to see culex again man. i think he should be a boss if anything but it will be smithy if we do get a smrpg boss

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Anyone think about how interesting it would be to hear Geno talk or say anything? Anyone wonder what his voice would sound like?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If Geno is in, Smithy better be a damn boss.
On this topic, it never really occurred to me as a kid just how horrifying the final boss was. You basically fall into Hell where it's heavily implied that you're just right outside a massive furnace where the walls and floors are made out of Smithy faces, which brings up the super uncomfortable questions of: did Smithy make these and, even if he didn't, who did and, ultimately, who created Smithy? On top of this, Smithy went from a smug almost suit and tie mob boss to a literal eye bulging psychopath driven insane by his own anger. The animations and sounds also heavily imply that HE MOLDS HIS OWN FACE WITH A SLEDGEHAMMER and does this throughout the fight without so much as a wince. Keep in mind that this is all happening in a Mario game and, up until that point, the weirdest thing that ever happened in the franchise was Wario getting a bucket stuck on Mario's head. Excuse me for being a Boomer, but this all just adds to the pile to why this game was so damn surreal and memorable when it came out in 1996.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Harsh words really don't accomplish much.
I want a medley with both phases of the Smithy battle. If I can't have both, then just the second phase.
I want the opening montage song ( Happy Adventure, Delightful Adenture is what I believe it's called )
And a battle medley of the normal battle, boss battle, and smithy gang battle... if I can't have all, just give me the smithy gang battle.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, good points. There really aren't any Square reps that would be plausible except Geno. If Crono is the only one close to it, well...his game is as old and iconic as SMRPG, lol. And he doesn't have the benefit of being a partial Mario character, or having a hook near as unique as a weaponized puppet.

It's Geno. It has to be.
Crono I don't see happening at all because while his game is popular HE isn't popular. everyone who plays it seems to call one of the other party members their favorite. and it really varies from person to person. I like Frog, they like Marle. there isn't a single character that could take the leading amount of requests. and I don't think that many people would have voted Crono since he is the least popular of the cast. So I'm sure his ballot numbers are on the smaller end

Loto is the most well known/beloved. His game (Dragon Quest 3) was selling so much in Japan that Enix had decided to release the games on a weekend from then on due to kids skipping school just to play it. He's prominent in the first 3 games. His sword appears throughout the series and the latest DQ game is tied to him even including his symbol on the LE PS4 and his sword being in the game. Also Sakurai's favorite DQ game is 3.
okay but still believe in general Japan would be the vast majority of his votes and Takamaru shows that Sakurai cares about world wide appeal. Chrom was mentioned as someone more popular in Japan but he still has a level of support in the west as well.
also in those polls showing ballot requests from Japan I didn't even see Loto's name.

think it's pretty clear Geno is beating him in ballot popularity.

At this point I feel Geno is the titan of SE picks and nobody can stand up to his popularity for smash. the only one that would have a chance is already out of the running.

speaking of music. I'm still replaying the game so can't really decide on a favorite yet. but we know the original composer for the game is on the music team so I'm just excited to see her comeback to do something new with her old creations

Last edited:

ShroomEL

Smash Apprentice

- Forest's Mushrooms because obviously. Not only is it a calm and enjoyable soundtrack, but as you already said, It's widely accepted as "Geno's theme", so ya.

- Fight against an armed boss, yep same as you here, was already thinking it before I saw it in your post. It feels like a really energetic boss theme that makes you want to keep fighting whatever boss you're on. It's definitely on of the best battle tracks, and I can see it easily fitting into Smash stages in general.

- Victory would be really nice to see as Geno's victory fanfare. The first seven seconds or so could play, then it could softly loop in the background just like Cloud's.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Regarding the whole Vergeben thing, he's probably just playing it safe for the sake of his credibility when it comes to not naming the SE newcomer yet. He knows leakers are put under a massive magnifying glass of scrutiny, and if he makes one slip-up, he'll be called a liar and he'll be done for. (Just look at how many people out there outright refuse to believe he's legit despite getting nothing wrong so far.) I believe it's probably Geno as much as the next guy, but I don't think his reluctance to name them has any bearing on who the SE newcomer actually is.
My whole thing is why does he care if he's done for; this isn't his job or something.

Like I'm really blunt about this stuff; I wish Sakurai would just reveal the entire roster now, heck, I wish he would've given us developement updates, screenshots and videos throughout the process. I guess that's just a testament to how much I love this game, but it's like who cares if we know the roster now or in two months.

They should've made a public ballot poll we could all see the progress on, that way we could know we weren't getting gypped like with Bayonetta and they wouldn't have to hire a sorry ******* to go through all the votes (Shrek and Goku included); like I would be so keen to see where Isabelle and Incineroar would've placed in such a thing.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
My whole thing is why does he care if he's done for; this isn't his job or something.
Because, in this day and age, being hated online can lead to harassment offline including doxxing and people trying to find you because, in a warped way, they feel justified in doing it. People can mess with your job, your friends, your family, etc which is why high profile people who do these things will scrub their accounts if they wind up with false info.

Dan

Smash Lord
Because, in this day and age, being hated online can lead to harassment offline including doxxing and people trying to find you because, in a warped way, they feel justified in doing it. People can mess with your job, your friends, your family, etc which is why high profile people who do these things will scrub their accounts if they wind up with false info.
I guess, but there are a million fake Smash leaks a day, so I don't get why people would single out a guy who just got a few characters right; I don't think that would ever happen, and I guess if it really was an issue, he shouldn't be leaking info in the first place.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman

Like I'm really blunt about this stuff; I wish Sakurai would just reveal the entire roster now, heck, I wish he would've given us developement updates, screenshots and videos throughout the process. I guess that's just a testament to how much I love this game, but it's like who cares if we know the roster now or in two months.

They should've made a public ballot poll we could all see the progress on, that way we could know we weren't getting gypped like with Bayonetta and they wouldn't have to hire a sorry ******* to go through all the votes (Shrek and Goku included); like I would be so keen to see where Isabelle and Incineroar would've placed in such a thing.
I think the reason the ballot isn't free for us to view the results is bacause they want the freedom to choose who they want from the ballot. if Goku was number one and everyone saw that and they didn't pick him there would be HUGE backlash! that is a lot of bad press.

also it's all about marketing. sure knowing everyone might be nice so we don't have to wait. but if you dump it all at once that is only one news article talking about your game. small incremental changes during development don't make storys. but character reveals do.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I guess, but there are a million fake Smash leaks a day, so I don't get why people would single out a guy who just got a few characters right; I don't think that would ever happen, and I guess if it really was an issue, he shouldn't be leaking info in the first place.
I dunno... I know I wouldn't just sit on a bunch of private info on the new Smash provided to me by a trusty source. I don't think you can blame the guy given the circumstances.
I think the reason the ballot isn't free for us to view the results is bacause they want the freedom to choose who they want from the ballot. if Goku was number one and everyone saw that and they didn't pick him there would be HUGE backlash! that is a lot of bad press.

also it's all about marketing. sure knowing everyone might be nice so we don't have to wait. but if you dump it all at once that is only one news article talking about your game. small incremental changes during development don't make storys. but character reveals do.
Exactly. It's all about keeping the hype train rolling until release. Otherwise, they would've just told us everything back at E3, and if they did that, where would we be now?

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
On this topic, it never really occurred to me as a kid just how horrifying the final boss was. You basically fall into Hell where it's heavily implied that you're just right outside a massive furnace where the walls and floors are made out of Smithy faces, which brings up the super uncomfortable questions of: did Smithy make these and, even if he didn't, who did and, ultimately, who created Smithy? On top of this, Smithy went from a smug almost suit and tie mob boss to a literal eye bulging psychopath driven insane by his own anger. The animations and sounds also heavily imply that HE MOLDS HIS OWN FACE WITH A SLEDGEHAMMER and does this throughout the fight without so much as a wince. Keep in mind that this is all happening in a Mario game and, up until that point, the weirdest thing that ever happened in the franchise was Wario getting a bucket stuck on Mario's head. Excuse me for being a Boomer, but this all just adds to the pile to why this game was so damn surreal and memorable when it came out in 1996.
Truth be told, I was TERRIFIED of Smithy's second form as a kid. It literally scared me. I remember after finishing the game, I had difficulty getting the image out of my head for a while after. It was his neutral face that scared me the most--those eyes and that mouth...:facepalm:

Crono I don't see happening at all because while his game is popular HE isn't popular. everyone who plays it seems to call one of the other party members their favorite. and it really varies from person to person. I like Frog, they like Marle. there isn't a single character that could take the leading amount of requests. and I don't think that many people would have voted Crono since he is the least popular of the cast. So I'm sure his ballot numbers are on the smaller end
Yeah, this is true too. Me, I'm a Robo man myself. Then probably Lucca and Frog. Crono is actually fourth on my list, mostly because of that thing he does near the end of the game...you know the one.

But it certainly does hurt that he's a pretty generic RPG silent protagonist. It's hard to think of any truly unique moves he could bring. The only reason he would be added is because he represents Chrono Trigger as a whole...which we know is not enough for Sakurai. Newcomers need to bring something to the table.

And that's where our puppet boy shines.:grin:

Edit:Oooh! Just thought of something! What about Robo as a Geno echo? He could theoretically do many of Geno's moves. I know there's no cross-series echoes...but it would be kinda neat, honestly.

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Truth be told, I was TERRIFIED of Smithy's second form as a kid. It literally scared me. I remember after finishing the game, I had difficulty getting the image out of my head for a while after. It was his neutral face that scared me the most--those eyes and that mouth...:facepalm:

Yeah, this is true too. Me, I'm a Robo man myself. Then probably Lucca and Frog. Crono is actually fourth on my list, mostly because of that thing he does near the end of the game...you know the one.

But it certainly does hurt that he's a pretty generic RPG silent protagonist. It's hard to think of any truly unique moves he could bring. The only reason he would be added is because he represents Chrono Trigger as a whole...which we know is not enough for Sakurai. Newcomers need to bring something to the table.

And that's where our puppet boy shines.:grin:

Edit:Oooh! Just thought of something! What about Robo as a Geno echo? He could theoretically do many of Geno's moves. I know there's no cross-series echoes...but it would be kinda neat, honestly.
Don't see it happening. BUT I WOULD LOVE THAT! Frog and Robo were my goto party members in my playthrough. and actually Robo does strangely make a lot of sense as a Geno Echo xD huh that's a weird thought in general thinking of characters that could Echo Geno. feel that list would be rather small.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Don't see it happening. BUT I WOULD LOVE THAT! Frog and Robo were my goto party members in my playthrough. and actually Robo does strangely make a lot of sense as a Geno Echo xD huh that's a weird thought in general thinking of characters that could Echo Geno. feel that list would be rather small.
I’ve seen a lot of people claim that Mallow could echo Geno, which would just make no sense. Yeah, they’re from the same game, but they’re vastly different characters, how could Mallow echo Geno? :confused:

Robo being a Geno echo however would be pretty rad

CF711

Smash Apprentice
The other thing I noticed about the box theory. The proportions look very off for the box that is being discussed. It is more upright where almost every other bundle is looked at where the base is longer than the height. Even this image from IGN looks more like a normal. Like I'm clearly looking way too far into this, but I feel like that's what this whole Box Theory is. I actually feel significantly better about it all. It's an obvious placeholder.

The second box is not the swtich or dock. It's the game, steelbook, and controller.

As for music:

- Beware the Forest's Mushrooms - A classic and always associated with Geno
- Fight Against an Armed Boss - Another really great tune that has the upbeat fight sound that Sakurai said he wants
- a remix of Weapons Factory - Has the upbeat battle fight sound and I think a remix of it would be awesome

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom