• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Okay that was actually a lot of fun and well put!

so I already knew about the mii costume interview. but went to the link just to be sure and read through it and it hit me

Sakurai has gone ON RECORD to say that HE WANTS TO MAKE GENO A CHARACTER
do you know how HUGE that is?! how often has he said that about a requested character?!

You know what I'm 100% convinced now. Geno is in and he is in the base game. This is happening!
Even the detractors are forced to admit that, but they follow it up with, "Yeah but it still hasn't happened so it probably won't. What has changed now?"

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
TerminalMontage TerminalMontage Your video on Geno was a blessing! Great work!
Thanks! I'm glad you guys liked it!
He missed the part of 2 third parties per company concept
Sonic/bayonetta
Megaman/ryu
Snake/Simon Belmont (suposivly)
So it would make sense for cloud/geno and Pac-man/heihachi or Llyod Irving so it's evened out
And that's a good point. I could've mentioned that, I hadn't really thought of it. I actually thought about discussing it with you guys before putting the video together, but then again it was something I wanted to do really quick before I started working on my next project, so I kept it kinda concise.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Even the detractors are forced to admit that, but they follow it up with, "Yeah but it still hasn't happened so it probably won't. What has changed now?"

It boils my blood when I hear that... What has changed? The fact that the biggest obstacle being Square not letting him in has been eliminated by show of the costume. Clearly there were timing issues which is why we didn't get him playable. It's not like he had a trophy or anything to base that costume off of, they had to make it from scratch. Also proof of Sakurai wanting him in is something we have determined since the end of the last game. A lot has changed. But people love to hate.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The holy trinity of Ridley, K.Rool, and Geno is the franchise wide speculation. The undisputed icons of Smash speculation and breaking perceived limits. Ridley for his constant presence in Smash and one of Nintendo's villainous icons while being held back by gameplay, K.Rool for his huge popularity as an underused series villain who fights against relevancy, and Geno as the pinnacle of cult classics and a representative of Mario RPG's who fights against legal barricades and the view of one off's. That is how I see them at least.
I've agreed with this point individually before in seeing these characters as all something to represent Smash's "supposed boundaries" and how their inclusion would SMASH all those boundaries and newcomer speculation would be all the better for it. If King K. Rool and Geno both manage to make it into Ultimate, the dream has come true and I really won't care who else is on the roster (The other three from my signature I would silently mourn while grinning and enjoying Ultimate too much).

But, I was more referring to the trinity of villains from Smash 4's speculation. Prior to release, these were the three that often got lumped together as people wanted more villains for Smash, and they were also just three of the most highly requested characters at the time. They were certainly mine, which has led to a little bit of remembrance bias on my part I'll admit, but I do remember these three being positioned in high regard leading up to Smash 4's final roster reveal (And even some languishing hope for the Wii U version having more characters than the 3DS). Quite a few people were devastated by the lack of these three, though at least we got Mewtwo back as DLC for that game.

Geno, at the time, did not have the support he seems to have garnered for Ultimate. He was mentioned, but wasn't as highly regarded or considered as likely. Especially considering how much of Smash 4's speculation pointed towards newer characters at the time. Thus, he isn't part of the original holy trinity to me, but I see him becoming a new member for Smash Ultimate.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Geno, at the time, did not have the support he seems to have garnered for Ultimate. He was mentioned, but wasn't as highly regarded or considered as likely. Especially considering how much of Smash 4's speculation pointed towards newer characters at the time. Thus, he isn't part of the original holy trinity to me, but I see him becoming a new member for Smash Ultimate.
Yeah, Geno's popularity was at it's prime back in the Brawl days. His chances are much better now compared to back then now that we have hindsight. I have just recently joined speculation, but I always heard that Brawl speculation was full of Ridley, Geno, and K.Rool supporters. When Smash 4 came around, Geno faded away from the spotlight for whatever reason and Ridley was killed off after the boss reveal so he did not make it to DLC speculation. K.Rool was the only one who had any major following I think. Btw, who is the third villain after Ridley and K.Rool in the trinity your talking about? Did I miss something?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Thanks! I'm glad you guys liked it!

And that's a good point. I could've mentioned that, I hadn't really thought of it. I actually thought about discussing it with you guys before putting the video together, but then again it was something I wanted to do really quick before I started working on my next project, so I kept it kinda concise.
Thanks TerminalMontage TerminalMontage your video was great a lot of points I knew about easily and some I didn't know about

I forgot the geno costume was the only one to get e splash screen treatment

There's two more thing I can point out

One, square enix and nintendo are getting along a lot better now recently

Two, last time it was near the ending in smash when square enix got involved this time it's the beginning so plenty of time to ask/convince them to let geno in.

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I have never really understood the, "Nothing has changed since Brawl/Sm4sh" mindset. Obviously, a lot has changed.

First off, Square wasn't involved with Brawl at all. Maybe Sakurai wanted to add him, but could never secure the rights. Maybe Geno was the character to get the two companies together to talk.

Secondly, Sm4sh still didn't have Square on board until the very end. So, once again, Sakurai may have been unable to secure the rights. But, we got Cloud late and then a Mii Costume for Geno. Pretty awesome to have added at the end.

I guess that is what bothers me about it. The big thing that has changed is that Square and Nintendo are working from the beginning with this one, and Square already has Cloud included in it, plus Geno actually has content in Sm4sh. Seems like the things that were in his way previously have been dealt with. Hopefully, he will land a spot in Ultimate.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
When people say "What changed?" You have to remind them that for the first time Square Enix is involved in the game.

Then they say "But they were involved in Smash 4 and Geno still didn't come" Yes, but only at the end. And that's when we also got the Geno costume"

Then they'll say "Well if Square gets another character it'll be Black Mage or Sora, someone more relevant" or something to that degree.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Yeah. It's the third line that is tough to get past. But hey, maybe Geno will show up and we can get past all of this stuff.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Then they'll say "Well if Square gets another character it'll be Black Mage or Sora, someone more relevant" or something to that degree.
And then I would say that for FF, it is to recent of a series added to reasonably get a secound character. Sonic doesn't even have a secound character yet, and he has been around since Brawl. And when it comes to Sora you have all the Disney problems, and despite claims that you can avoid Disney references, Sora has a built in Micky head Key chain on his kingdom key. Also(Idk how true this is, I just heard it previously on this thread), Cloud getting in was exclusively Sakurai's decision, not him being forced by Square to put in their icon. I see this as Sakurai paving the way for Geno, pretty much doing a "Never ask me for anything ever again" to Square before got the chance. Are you gonna argue with the guy who put in your icon without being asked? That is how I see it.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
Premium
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
I have just recently joined speculation, but I always heard that Brawl speculation was full of Ridley, Geno, and K.Rool supporters.
Oh Goodness yes. Sometimes the vitriol that was spewed between the Ridley and Geno threads was quite the spectacle. I recall there being many a flamewar. I don't remember much about the K Rool Krowd, though. I'm kinda surprised that the Ridley and Geno crowds are as amicable as they are today, but I suppose the majority of us have just grown up quite a bit since then. lol

Also, PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate I liked the OP as well. =) I'd love it if I could be on the supporter list too.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Either there is no update today on the smash site or it's taking a long time.

In the Brawl days, a long update meant a BIG update. Like a character

I wonder.
welp looks like it's music they added today. a megaman 4 medley oddly enough.... hmmm is there anything unique about 4 compared to other megamans?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
welp looks like it's music they added today. a megaman 4 medley oddly enough.... hmmm is there anything unique about 4 compared to other megamans?
It's when the Charge Shot was added

Megaman couldn't charge before it.

It's also when the designs of the Robot Masters started going downhill.

Pharaoh Man and Skull Man are kinda cool

But then you have Dust Man

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
It's when the Charge Shot was added

Megaman couldn't charge before it.

It's also when the designs of the Robot Masters started going downhill.

Pharaoh Man and Skull Man are kinda cool

But then you have Dust Man
okay was just wondering if it might be something like first game with Protoman or or Bass or something. just seems weird to me that 4 would be the one singled out to get a medley. wasn't last games medley from 2?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
okay was just wondering if it might be something like first game with Protoman or or Bass or something. just seems weird to me that 4 would be the one singled out to get a medley. wasn't last games medley from 2?
Bass wasn't added until Mega Man 7

And I think Proto Man was in 2? Let me check

Nope, it was 3

Edit: I should mention that Mega Man 2 medley made sense because Mega Man 2 had awesome music and is the most popular of the original games.

Mega Man 4 medley... I dunno. I don't remember a lot of Mega Man 4

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
To add on to the previous discussion, besides having to deal with Disney in order to get Sora in the game, Sakurai might still not want to include him because it'll open the floodgates to even crazier, dumber, more impossible requests. Cloud already opened floodgates that (in my opinion) should have remained closed. The only saving grace is that Cloud's inclusion, and his status as Square Enix's mascot, paves the way to allow Geno to come in.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Oh Goodness yes. Sometimes the vitriol that was spewed between the Ridley and Geno threads was quite the spectacle. I recall there being many a flamewar. I don't remember much about the K Rool Krowd, though. I'm kinda surprised that the Ridley and Geno crowds are as amicable as they are today, but I suppose the majority of us have just grown up quite a bit since then. lol
There still seems to be some scars left from those days, as it seems it is not uncommon for people to be against Geno just because of the old fan base. It is different nowadays and this thread is very chill about everything(I agree that it is because the older supporters have mellowed more as well as the new supporters not having as much nostalgic connection, instead liking Geno's concept and design), but some people can't let go of stuff that happened over a decade ago.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
LOL, even if we were jerks back then it was super fun.

But I did try to make sure the Geno thread in Smash 4 wasn't going to do that kind of stuff

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Geno may be owned by Square-Enix, but he isn't a Square-Enix character, if that makes any sense. They aren't holding onto him with a iron grip, his legal ownership is a matter of circumstance rather than intention. Ask yourself how the discussion for acquiring the rights to use Geno's clothes in Smash 4 would have went. Do you think S-E would have said "yes, but he cannot be a character!"? No, that doesn't make any sense, they've just given themselves monumental advertising for a game that isn't even going to be on a Nintendo console (FFVII remake) in the form of Cloud in Smash. Anything else is extra and basically inconsequential. We aren't dealing with two feuding companies here, the guys at the helm at both Nintendo and Square have been at this for an incredibly long time and likely know each other on a first name basis.

Have you noticed how Nintendo has made Octopath Traveler one of their most featured games in just about every Nintendo Direct since its announcement? It's a very, very strong relationship, and if Sakurai wanted Geno in the game, Geno is going to be in the game. The planets are sufficiently aligned and now it's possible and even probable.

Geno is going to be in this game. I would actually be shocked otherwise.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I also find it interesting that people assumed Square would FORCE a character to be in Smash if they were involved

But it's been confirmed Sakurai picked Cloud. Cloud wasn't thrust upon him. He had a choice

Square isn't this unbending behemoth people think they are

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yeah, Geno's popularity was at it's prime back in the Brawl days. His chances are much better now compared to back then now that we have hindsight. I have just recently joined speculation, but I always heard that Brawl speculation was full of Ridley, Geno, and K.Rool supporters. When Smash 4 came around, Geno faded away from the spotlight for whatever reason and Ridley was killed off after the boss reveal so he did not make it to DLC speculation. K.Rool was the only one who had any major following I think. Btw, who is the third villain after Ridley and K.Rool in the trinity your talking about? Did I miss something?
I wasn't around for the Brawl speculation, so I can't attest to that (I was so young that every new thing on the official site was awesome and I spent so long just looking at that site). I know Geno and Ridley had big followings for that game from how other people talk though. They may have been the original holy trinity for that game with King K. Rool. I was just specifically talking about Smash 4 speculation, in which Geno kind of took a back seat in comparison to his support in Brawl and now Ultimate. I saw Geno support and was one myself, but he didn't get mentioned as often by people and many people were focused on characters.

Pre confirmation of the roster, the big three were King K. Rool, Ridley, and Mewtwo to my knowledge. These were the three that formed the villain trio. To be fair Mewtwo isn't really a villain per se, but he was used as one in the final event match of Melee, was the final boss of the Blue/Red/Yellow, and had a fairly dark role in the Pokemon's first movie. As a result, he was lumped in as a sort of villain alongside King K. Rool and Ridley. Myself and others were lamenting that we only had Ganondorf and Bowser as the real villains of the game (Meta Knight and King Dedede hold the anti-hero status more so nowadays). So we were foaming at the mouth for more, especially when Wolf continued to be MIA as well.

That said, Geno does form the trinity of blowing away expectations so I'll say he can fit comfortably into that trio as well as the trio of requested, "less relevant" characters next to Isaac and King K. Rool

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
I also find it interesting that people assumed Square would FORCE a character to be in Smash if they were involved

But it's been confirmed Sakurai picked Cloud. Cloud wasn't thrust upon him. He had a choice

Square isn't this unbending behemoth people think they are
I think people are interpreting Square's openness when Sakurai questioned them about possible characters as "forcing Cloud".

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think people are interpreting Square's openness when Sakurai questioned them about possible characters as "forcing Cloud".
So how did it go? Do they have it on record?

Did it go

"So Sakurai, which of our fine characters do you want in Smash? We have Cloud, A random Slime, Cloud, Some dirty old Chocobo, Cloud, female Cloud, Black Mage, and CLOUD."

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
If I recall correctly, Square was more shocked that Sakurai requested Cloud. They thought that he would have rather had someone more current as opposed to an older character like Cloud. There's an interview lying around somewhere to that effect.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If I recall correctly, Square was more shocked that Sakurai requested Cloud. They thought that he would have rather had someone more current as opposed to an older character like Cloud. There's an interview lying around somewhere to that effect.
I kind of feel like Square are a little out of touch

I don't even like Cloud, but when it comes to FF that's all I hear about from people

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I gotta hand it to y'all, your optimism is impressive considering how long we've been waiting. I, too, believe Geno has a remarkably good shot at being in the base game considering all of his concrete barriers to inclusion seem to be behind him at this point and just about the only thing that could conceivably get in his way at this point is if Sakurai just... changed his mind. But I hardly think that's likely, considering Geno's been on Sakurai's mind since Brawl and he's acutely aware of just how steadfast and massive his fanbase is. That said, there's always the slim chance that some corporate ******** could get in the way of our dream yet again or another Mario character could steal his spotlight, but regardless, I think he is one of, if not the most likely newcomer we haven't seen yet.
Stay strong, comrades. In five months, all will be revealed and we'll all be able to rest easy. And even if that means we still don't get to play as our favorite doll, at least we'll have the Mii Costume.

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Just for reference's sake and to show I'm not just pulling stuff out of thin air: https://sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/

Nomura: When we first talked, I asked “are you sure you’re okay with Cloud?” He’s not a character from a new game, after all.
Yeah, I think out of touch is safe to say.

I will say, having read the rest of the interview just now, it does seem like Nomura might be an overly critical type. I get this feeling from him that he wanted everything about Cloud to be perfect and meet his standards, as if there was no wiggle room for failure. Hopefully none of that douchery affects the negotiation for Geno as a character. I've read elsewhere that Square believes Kingdom Hearts is the future of the company and that they want to leave Final Fantasy behind. That could be a potential roadblock.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think one reason some are so convinced Geno is coming, even if they don't realize it, is what comes after Ultimate for Sakurai. He has always said that the current Smash game will be his last, and frankly, he will always be apart of the Smash series in some way till the day he retires, likely overseeing the project rather than doing anything physical. With Ultimate, it really does feel like he is trying to end his involvement on a high note. We know how Brawl was received, and there was some notable faults with 4. Sakurai could never leave with both of those games being decisive in their own ways, as well as the loose ends he would be leaving behind if he did leave. Sakurai is trying to please everyone, he is leaving no man behind, he is bringing in long requested characters and practically killed clone hate with the term of "Echo Fighters", it honestly feels like he is filling some sort of bucket list so he does not leave with regret, and that bodes well for Geno.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I gotta hand it to y'all, your optimism is impressive considering how long we've been waiting. I, too, believe Geno has a remarkably good shot at being in the base game considering all of his concrete barriers to inclusion seem to be behind him at this point and just about the only thing that could conceivably get in his way at this point is if Sakurai just... changed his mind. But I hardly think that's likely, considering Geno's been on Sakurai's mind since Brawl and he's acutely aware of just how steadfast and massive his fanbase is. That said, there's always the slim chance that some corporate ******** could get in the way of our dream yet again or another Mario character could steal his spotlight, but regardless, I think he is one of, if not the most likely newcomer we haven't seen yet.
Stay strong, comrades. In five months, all will be revealed and we'll all be able to rest easy. And even if that means we still don't get to play as our favorite doll, at least we'll have the Mii Costume.
I'll say this much, if we get Geno, I have no problems having more Mario characters (Mostly because most people here and I don't really count his as one, but whatever). I think there is a lot of interesting potential with other Mario characters, Captain Toad could have lots of potential, a trickster King Boo would be pretty awesome, Kamek would be cool because I'm all down for more sorcerers in Smash (See Ashley, Lip, Isaac, etc.). Which is to say nothing of course of Waluigi. As long as they're all unique characters, who cares?

Obviously I want Geno in first, but I'm not going to boycott other Mario characters just because my personal preference didn't get in (Though Kamek is pushing it a little as uninteresting characters go, as is King Boo, but I'm bias in liking him a lot from Luigi's Mansion).

Edit: Completely forgot to mention several other Mario reps. Paper Mario could be super unique if they really took the time with him. Fawful is my ideal pick for Mario RPG representation if we can't get Geno in the game. Even E. Gadd could be really cool if they made him based around the vacuum properly. Point being, Mario still has a lot of interesting characters to pull from. Geno just happens to be one with more support (and is... perhaps is just a bit more awesome than the rest...)

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Welp, nevermind... This is why you always read the Part 2 before opening your mouth. =P

Sakurai: (laughs) This time, during Cloud’s development, I didn’t have any instructions like “he needs to be like this, he can’t be like this.” That saved us a lot of trouble.
My apologies for assuming.~

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Just for reference's sake and to show I'm not just pulling stuff out of thin air: https://sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/

Yeah, I think out of touch is safe to say.

I will say, having read the rest of the interview just now, it does seem like Nomura might be an overly critical type. I get this feeling from him that he wanted everything about Cloud to be perfect and meet his standards, as if there was no wiggle room for failure. Hopefully none of that douchery affects the negotiation for Geno as a character. I've read elsewhere that Square believes Kingdom Hearts is the future of the company and that they want to leave Final Fantasy behind. That could be a potential roadblock.
Well, looking into it, Nomura wasn't the director (and possibly wasn't even involved) in SMRPG, so I don't think he'll be much of a problem. Honestly, I'm not even sure the original directors are even around still. Who knows who's in charge of Geno?

As for the KH roadblock...I got nothing on that one. It does seem odd that Square Enix would put their future into a franchise they don't even totally own. Perhaps they're thinking of becoming a Disney company?

That's a scary thought, lol...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, looking into it, Nomura wasn't the director (and possibly wasn't even involved) in SMRPG, so I don't think he'll be much of a problem. Honestly, I'm not even sure the original directors are even around still. Who knows who's in charge of Geno?

As for the KH roadblock...I got nothing on that one. It does seem odd that Square Enix would put their future into a franchise they don't even totally own. Perhaps they're thinking of becoming a Disney company?

That's a scary thought, lol...
LOL, I don't think anyone chooses to become part of Disney

Disney devours them like Kirby in Triple Deluxe

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
A think the one thing both SMRPG and Kingdom Hearts share is that their composer is Yoko Shimomura. Btw, I hope they bring her in to do some work with some of the tracks.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
LOL, I don't think anyone chooses to become part of Disney

Disney devours them like Kirby in Triple Deluxe
And Disney hasn't gotten any less predatory. =P

I usually don't believe in the whole "these two characters are in competition for a slot" argument but I do think Sora is a pretty big potential roadblock. I'd have to verify all of my information more first, though. I don't deny Sakurai wants Geno in but there's a real chance that Square will push for Sora instead... and I could see Nintendo caving to that.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
A think the one thing both SMRPG and Kingdom Hearts share is that their composer is Yoko Shimomura. Btw, I hope they bring her in to do some work with some of the tracks.
Yoko Shimomura is a common element between a great many RPGs...I seriously think she's done at least one song in every RPG I've ever played, lol.

You're totally right, though--she's got to do a SMRPG track. It's like going back to her roots. And she's already on the staff for Smash (she did the Vega stage remix.) She can handle one more track, at least.

Here's a question I just thought of: what real instrument would be used for the main melody of Forest Mushrooms in a theoretical remix? I'm not sure what the current synth is meant to sound like. Some kind of woodwind?

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
After reading through the interview between the two it seems like Sakurai and Nomura get along really well!
I'd dare say they started to sound like friends by the end of it.
logging in my head another excuse for why Geno's chances are good.

domriver

Smash Lord
Sora is not a disney character im pretty sure it is. Both Disney and Square Enix if thats the case who do you think will have more pull? xD Disney will. From present things - Nintendo making a theme park with Universal rather than Disney - i dunno. Disney may just give the finger to Nintendo. lol

EDIT: at any rate - i dont think kingdom hearts representation will be represented in Smash Ultimate at all. Unless Nintendo makes an announcement saying KH3 will be on the switch! ( which i will probably go buy lol) Adding Sora IMO will open the doors to Star Wars characters requested in Smash. I love star wars dont get me wrong but in Smash>?? ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh. hmm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom