• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
I never even bought any of the DLC mii costumes, so I still had no reason to play with any of the Mii characters.

Only Geno I want is the real Geno.
I bought the Geno Mii outfit because I wanted to support the Geno decision financially. I figured if those sales did well it'd increase his chances of getting in next time. That being said I never actually played the Mii Gunner with the costume more than once. xP

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I bought the Geno Mii outfit because I wanted to support the Geno decision financially. I figured if those sales did well it'd increase his chances of getting in next time. That being said I never actually played the Mii Gunner with the costume more than once. xP
Yup, that's why I bought it too. They don't give us many opportunities to directly show financial support for specific characters in Smash, so I jumped on it.

Now that I think about it, I probably should've bought a few other costumes as well...

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking this too. If the Geno Costumes did amazingly well, it'd be solid proof fans want him. But a lot of people didn't like the costume and avoided it out of spite.

Dan

Smash Lord
Geno is the only reason I played Mii gunner. I dislike the mii's in general. their aesthetic is ugly and they feel like knock off versions of other characters. but I do get the appeal of using them to add the character you wanted that didn't get in. I mean that's what I did in 4. although even still I didn't really play gunner that much. what with the tournament rules sticking them with their worst moveset and not even being able to play them online. it just kinda felt like wasting time on a bad character.

if Geno doesn't get in I'll be making the Geno Mii again. but if he is in I'll never touch the Mii's ever again.
Yeah; at the very least Geno at least matches the body type, but if you were using the Mii Brawler as a sub for K. Rool it's a joke.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I was thinking this too. If the Geno Costumes did amazingly well, it'd be solid proof fans want him. But a lot of people didn't like the costume and avoided it out of spite.
The ballot may be good enough based on Sakurai's words, and if Nintendo is willing to get him from Square for Smash.

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
With how closely they have been paying attention to fan requests this time, even the small minor requests. I think they are well aware of the negative reception the Mii costumes had. so even if the Geno mii didn't sell well I don't think it would hurt his chances. but if it did sell well hey that's another statistic they could use to help them consider him (even though Sakurai already is convinced to put him in anyway)

I'm actually kinda curious if they are gonna tone down the Mii's at all this time. like keep them with one size and weight. maybe not even bother with the costumes and instead focus on letting them stand more as their own unique thing.
well probably not that far. but I don't see them making any more costumes of requested characters. by now they probably know that the fans see it as an insult to their character instead of as the kind gesture them ment it to be.

I think the Echo fighters are actually ment to take their place in a way. as being a way to put in characters they normally wouldn't be able to make work or didn't have the time for so as to throw the fans a bone.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
With how closely they have been paying attention to fan requests this time, even the small minor requests. I think they are well aware of the negative reception the Mii costumes had. so even if the Geno mii didn't sell well I don't think it would hurt his chances. but if it did sell well hey that's another statistic they could use to help them consider him (even though Sakurai already is convinced to put him in anyway)

I'm actually kinda curious if they are gonna tone down the Mii's at all this time. like keep them with one size and weight. maybe not even bother with the costumes and instead focus on letting them stand more as their own unique thing.
well probably not that far. but I don't see them making any more costumes of requested characters. by now they probably know that the fans see it as an insult to their character instead of as the kind gesture them ment it to be.

I think the Echo fighters are actually ment to take their place in a way. as being a way to put in characters they normally wouldn't be able to make work or didn't have the time for so as to throw the fans a bone.
The Miis are interesting to me in ultimate for this reason. Their presentation gives off the vibe that they're standalone characters now. One size, no custom moves to speak of, etc. In Smash 4, they were used as custom avatars, but in Ultimate, they feel more like a facet of Nintendo history as a character. Like, for example, Mr. Game & Watch as a character signifies "Hey! Remember the Game & Watch? That was a part of Nintendo's rich history!". Ditto for ROB or Wii Fit Trainer, they're characters designed to highlight an event or milestone that's important to Nintendo's history. The Mii's feel like that now, saying "Remember the Mii's? They were big for Nintendo for many years spanning from the Wii era to now." (even thought they haven't left yet.). Now that they're one size and one moveset (that we know of), I'm actually more curious to play them now in a weird way, more interested in what buffs they got, how they stand next to the other character in Ultimate in tiers and usability. If Mii's and tournaments will be not only allowed now, but viable. I think the customization made Mii's useless (ironically). Giving them a constant weight and moveset hopefully means putting effort into making them characters that can hold their own against the Smash cast with their own strengths and weaknesses.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Geno is likely in, unless they hold him back for DLC for some strange reason. Besides Incineroar he's the only other rep I think will 100% make it. As much as I want Dixie and Skull Kid I know they're more up in the air.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
The Miis are interesting to me in ultimate for this reason. Their presentation gives off the vibe that they're standalone characters now. One size, no custom moves to speak of, etc. In Smash 4, they were used as custom avatars, but in Ultimate, they feel more like a facet of Nintendo history as a character. Like, for example, Mr. Game & Watch as a character signifies "Hey! Remember the Game & Watch? That was a part of Nintendo's rich history!". Ditto for ROB or Wii Fit Trainer, they're characters designed to highlight an event or milestone that's important to Nintendo's history. The Mii's feel like that now, saying "Remember the Mii's? They were big for Nintendo for many years spanning from the Wii era to now." (even thought they haven't left yet.). Now that they're one size and one moveset (that we know of), I'm actually more curious to play them now in a weird way, more interested in what buffs they got, how they stand next to the other character in Ultimate in tiers and usability. If Mii's and tournaments will be not only allowed now, but viable. I think the customization made Mii's useless (ironically). Giving them a constant weight and moveset hopefully means putting effort into making them characters that can hold their own against the Smash cast with their own strengths and weaknesses.
This is very well said. I'm hoping for this as well--give the Miis their chance to be full characters, not the embodiment of character customization. It would make them feel more substantial.

I do have to wonder, though...they look like they're preset to certain weights and movesets, with only the voices being modular, and yet Sakurai added that statement about them possibly seeing online play? What's stopping them, if custom stuff is out (which I assume it is, given Palutena's moves are preset.) It seems there is more to the Miis that we haven't seen yet...

Come to think of it, they haven't been spotlighted on the blog yet, have they? Maybe they're waiting till the next direct to clarify what the deal is?

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I think they still have custom moves. In their character trailer the Mii Brawler used two different up specials

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
well, I'm trying to remember where it was said, but that the Mii's still do have custom moves, but it's severely chopped down. Ironically i believe that they turned it into what the competitive scene ruled before outright banning them, of only being able to switch between sets of specials.

EDIT: found it. it's on their character description. They were talked about on the week of 7/27 in the blog post. "you can choose from the 3 types of Mii fighters and select from a set of 3 specials for each type. You can also choose one of 12 voice options!"

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I think they still have custom moves. In their character trailer the Mii Brawler used two different up specials
Oops, my bad. Wasn't aware of that, but my fault for not doing research. I do recall that Sakurai said mii fighters would be more streamlined (whatever that means) so, my hopes still stand. Part of me kind of hopes they are proper unlocks instead of just getting them when you make a mii fighter. And, so far as I know, changing their sized hasn't been confirmed yet still, so they may have one consistent size as I noted.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I might've asked this before but I forget. How many more characters do you guys believe we'll be getting in the base roster? I'm still holding onto my belief of 2-3.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
This is very well said. I'm hoping for this as well--give the Miis their chance to be full characters, not the embodiment of character customization. It would make them feel more substantial.

I do have to wonder, though...they look like they're preset to certain weights and movesets, with only the voices being modular, and yet Sakurai added that statement about them possibly seeing online play? What's stopping them, if custom stuff is out (which I assume it is, given Palutena's moves are preset.) It seems there is more to the Miis that we haven't seen yet...

Come to think of it, they haven't been spotlighted on the blog yet, have they? Maybe they're waiting till the next direct to clarify what the deal is?
the issue with online is people drawing inappropriate things on their faces. I think what they are probably trying to do is make a way so you can see what your mii looks like online but if your opponent is using a mii you'll only see a default version. atleast I see that as the best solution.

with other character's custom moves gone so long as they make choosing between Mii's moves simple to do legistically like choosing one of those 3 sets within the character select menu we should be able to do them in tournament. also feel their more detailed costume design is pointing towards all having one size. they probably saw how little they were used so they are simplifying them because it was kind of a rules nightmare. many pro players were upset to see them back just because they don't wanna deal with the Mii arguments again.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
the issue with online is people drawing inappropriate things on their faces. I think what they are probably trying to do is make a way so you can see what your mii looks like online but if your opponent is using a mii you'll only see a default version. atleast I see that as the best solution.

with other character's custom moves gone so long as they make choosing between Mii's moves simple to do legistically like choosing one of those 3 sets within the character select menu we should be able to do them in tournament. also feel their more detailed costume design is pointing towards all having one size. they probably saw how little they were used so they are simplifying them because it was kind of a rules nightmare. many pro players were upset to see them back just because they don't wanna deal with the Mii arguments again.
Ohh, that was the reason they weren't online? That's actually pretty hilarious.:laugh: Funny how those people could ruin it for everyone else over something so stupid. Not that the Miis were in high demand, but still.

And from the looks of it, they were already highlighted on the blog...guess I forgot that one. Either way, I do appreciate the toning down of their customs--I really didn't care for customs in general. It dilutes the characters and makes them more complicated than they need to be, not to mention all the extra work Sakurai and team have to do. Restricting customization to the Miis and to sets sounds like an acceptable compromise. I'm guessing there likely will still be the option for cosmetic changes to them, though, if not full on costumes.

Anyway...It seems we've gone off the rails a bit. Sometimes I forget we're in a Geno thread, lol. But with no news...what else can we do?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I can never get over how much the Miis have come to embody my greatest dislikes in Smash. The intention for them is good I know, but maybe I’m just a conservative Smasher, but I don’t want just anybody in Smash and think that giving them all of that attention was super misguided when a generic Mii slot with moves from the Wii games would have been much more interesting and unique.

And then they gave them costumes of some of my beloved characters as if to turn the knife even further. And they all looked like absolute abominations except for the ones that completely covered their existince.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I can never get over how much the Miis have come to embody my greatest dislikes in Smash. The intention for them is good I know, but maybe I’m just a conservative Smasher, but I don’t want just anybody in Smash and think that giving them all of that attention was super misguided when a generic Mii slot with moves from the Wii games would have been much more interesting and unique.

And then they gave them costumes of some of my beloved characters as if to turn the knife even further. And they all looked like absolute abominations except for the ones that completely covered their existince.
i think the miis using wii games stuff would've been a bad way to go considering what the miis are

miis have always been avatars, they aren't characters, and thus are adaptable into anything. if they're in a sports game they can play sports, if they're in mario kart they know how to race. if they're in smash, a fighting game, they should obviously fight in the traditional sense.

they're also the only characters in smash ultimate that are customizable in their moveset still. this is important because this is also a core theme for Miis in general since the idea of miis in the first place was to be able to customize their faces to look like people.

them having generic custom movesets actually reflects the miis themeselves and is actually more genius than it seems at first glance

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I think it's silly all the hatred the Mii Fighters get - it's a nice option for people who like to play around with customization and just have fun with it. I've handed my 3DS over to some family members now and then and let them play around with it to see what they can come up with. It's just a fun and sometimes silly option to have in a good way. I think making the Mii fighter as its own character would completely destroy the purpose for their inclusion in the first place. I don't see why it can' be treated like any other additional modes of play available in Smash - nobody has to use them, it's just there for fun.

That being said, I have had fun myself with making quite a few fighters now and then. Funny thing is one of the early ones I made was of Richter Belmont in May 2015:

You can imagine the surprise it was for me when he appeared alongside Simon during his reveal trailer, lol.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
Yeah, the Mii Fighter is a clever adaptation of the Miis, but it's still hard to get excited about a generic manikin.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Yeah, the Mii Fighter is a clever adaptation of the Miis, but it's still hard to get excited about a generic manikin.
Same thing could be said of Wii Fit, really. There are probably some people who dig them, and they fit their themes well--but for the majority, or at least the majority of the Smash fanbase, they're not very exciting. Especially compared to other, much cooler characters we know.

Edit: Like Geno.:p

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Same thing could be said of Wii Fit, really. There are probably some people who dig them, and they fit their themes well--but for the majority, or at least the majority of the Smash fanbase, they're not very exciting. Especially compared to other, much cooler characters we know.

The Wii Fit Trainer reveal is kind of funny to think back on. I remember how Nintendo hyped up one more character reveal during E3 2013, and then it ended up being WFT, and alot of people got disappointed and pissed over it.

What made it all the more silly is, if they switched the Megaman and WFT reveals and ended their direct with Megaman and hyped him up instead, that probably would have been much better received...

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198

Yeah, you're not gonna see me defending Wii Fit Trainer either~

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Wii fit is still one of my most hated characters to be added. glad some people like her but she is at the bottom of my list right there with Bayonetta (granted Bayo I dislike for other reasons. if she didn't cause all that drama in 4 I'd be chill with her)

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
The Wii Fit Trainer reveal is kind of funny to think back on. I remember how Nintendo hyped up one more character reveal during E3 2013, and then it ended up being WFT, and alot of people got disappointed and pissed over it.

What made it all the more silly is, if they switched the Megaman and WFT reveals and ended their direct with Megaman and hyped him up instead, that probably would have been much better received...
The same thing can be said about the ballot "winner". Even though it was a sham, saving Cloud for last and claiming he was the ballot winner would have at least been more believable than Bayonetta.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
The same thing can be said about the ballot "winner". Even though it was a sham, saving Cloud for last and claiming he was the ballot winner would have at least been more believable than Bayonetta.
I don't think Sakurai would straight up lie about who won and just throw in whoever he wanted. I'm guessing what happened is that they had to pick early due to time constraints. so at the 2 week mark Bayo probably was at the top. or at least she was the highest of those they could manage to pull off in time.
but then they continued to leave the ballot open until so they could get more solid info for ultimate.

we don't know the true results of characters in the ballot. we only make assumptions based on the people around us and what people talk about on the internet. it's likely that she really was that popular at the time and just her fans were more quiet. we can't be sure.

there are a lot of unknowns about the ballot actually. like how did they handle bots? or even did they? it just let you send votes as much as you wanted.

I do hope that at the end of all the reveals Sakurai does talk about the results of the ballot. it would be nice to get some info about who was actually where and how they made their choices from it. granted if they had top ranking characters on their that they didn't choose then revealing the results could get them a lot of bad press and people will feel cheated.

edit: hey wasn't there something someone was saying about how the next music track posted was gonna correlate to an even happening or something? like another one of those predicted directs or something? can't remember exactly what it was people were saying. but hey we got more awesome Castlevania music!

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Greeeat, the first thing I get to see when it loads is excessive use of homophobic slurs. This is why 4chan can burn to the ground.

Anyway, that leak seems...interesting. I wouldn't get my hopes up tho, especially since there are so many characters on there lol.
The most interesting thing to me is that someone actually took the time to remove all the character art for the empty battlefield shots, then shift around all the characters to make room while keeping it similar to the banner on the site, draw new art for the supposed newcomers, and actually print the thing out to take a photo of it. THEN, they made a fake LinkedIn profile, and left the trail to lead people to it...

So much work. Honestly, if this is fake, it might be the most work anyone has done on a fake leak. Kudos on that front.

If it did turn out to be real...wow. Way to completely blow everyone out of the water, Sakurai...

But seriously, likely fake. The only way I can imagine this being true is if the "reveal the design of every fighter" deal turned out to mean not everyone will be available at launch, and the rest will be free updates like with ARMS and Splatoon. Which could theoretically happen. But I'm sticking with dubious yet intrigued.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm kind of on team fake. Some of the changes to the mural are easy to do such as the movement of the mii's

The guy that supposedly posted this IS a graphic designer.

And it's blurry enough so errors aren't going to show

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think it's too good to be true, especially since DLC is virtually inevitable with this game. With Geno, Isaac, AND Banjo in the base roster, would we really even need it? Bandana Dee, Shantae, and Dixie would pretty much go back into the machine for a future game if they don't make it, making the only potential casualty of this scenario Skull Kid.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
"We're getting things we've been asking for for decades so it's fake"

I'm done being a pessimistic Geno fan. He's in. They traced this back to some French guy who works for a company who does advertising and the company lists that they work with Namco. He has since made his LinkedIn private.

This might not be real but to immediately dismiss it because it's "too good" in a game where Sakurai is obviously trying to fulfill every fan demand doesn't make much sense.

There are weird details like vines being at Isaac's feet in the art that would be an odd detail to add on a fake. Usually in fakes you don't want to add any more than you need to and this goes against that.

I'm definitely skeptical because our dreams are literally always crushed and because I do at least mostly trust Vergeben, but I guess it could be another Gematsu leak situation with outdated information. But as of now I haven't seen anything debunking it other than it being exactly what we want

Tetiro

Smash Ace
"We're getting things we've been asking for for decades so it's fake"

I'm done being a pessimistic Geno fan. He's in. They traced this back to some French guy who works for a company who does advertising and the company lists that they work with Namco. He has since made his LinkedIn private.

This might not be real but to immediately dismiss it because it's "too good" in a game where Sakurai is obviously trying to fulfill every fan demand doesn't make much sense.

There are weird details like vines being at Isaac's feet in the art that would be an odd detail to add on a fake. Usually in fakes you don't want to add any more than you need to and this goes against that.

I'm definitely skeptical because our dreams are literally always crushed and because I do at least mostly trust Vergeben, but I guess it could be another Gematsu leak situation with outdated information. But as of now I haven't seen anything debunking it other than it being exactly what we want
Regarding Isaac's vines, that is likely referring to his ability of Growth. That is all about plants and vines.

You'd have to have knowledge of Golden Sun to put that in

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Regarding Isaac's vines, that is likely referring to his ability of Growth. That is all about plants and vines.

You'd have to have knowledge of Golden Sun to put that in
I’m well aware of what Growth is. My point was why add a detail like that in the first place if you are faking? Usually fake leakers do as little as possible to make **** ambiguous

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
A lot of things are lining up though... 108 stages = 5 newcomers which plays out perfectly for this supposed leak for example. I want to believe but again, this is nuts if true. This is beyond fan service if this is the base roster. To say Sakurai outdid himself would be an understatement. This is the perfect roster that us Boomers wanted for Brawl ten years ago; it's surreal.

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Only ones it's missing for me is Skull Kid and Dixie

Chadendorf leak suggested Dixie was planned but cut. Hopefully she could get DLC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom