• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
The only and last one that i'm waiting since Brawl is Geno. But I believe that Paper Mario, Isaac and Banjo Kazooie deserves to get in the roster since they all are important to Nintendo's history.
I truly believe it would be an injustice with any of this four who do not get into the game, mostly because we already have a lot of third party characters while so much important games for Nintendo are not represented yet. I know, Geno belongs to Square and Banjo Kazooie to Microsoft so technically they are third party characters, but these characters were born on Nintendo's consoles (originally as exclusives) so in this meritocracy they count as Nintendo's characters.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Do you guys think it's possible for Nintendo to actually buy out the rights to Super Mario RPG, including all of the characters, music, etc., or do you think that's a little far out there?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
My original top 3 was from way before Brawl happened and I feel the older crowd would (sort of) agree with me. Back in the day, I always remember these three being the biggest discussion before the likes of Geno and Isaac especially.

King K. Rool
Ridley
Simon Belmont

These were the Original Trinity to me.

The new ones for me now are:

Geno
Isaac
Banjo & Kazooie

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Do you guys think it's possible for Nintendo to actually buy out the rights to Super Mario RPG, including all of the characters, music, etc., or do you think that's a little far out there?
Maybe, but I was wondering if Nintendo and Square unite to make a remake of Mario RPG for the Switch

My original top 3 was from way before Brawl happened and I feel the older crowd would (sort of) agree with me. Back in the day, I always remember these three being the biggest discussion before the likes of Geno and Isaac especially.

King K. Rool
Ridley
Simon Belmont

These were the Original Trinity to me.

The new ones for me now are:

Geno
Isaac
Banjo & Kazooie
My current trinity is Medusa, Isaac and Geno.

D

Deleted member

So news this week eh? Figures, don't expect much when nothing was for Sure.

Won't believe anything unless it comes from Nintendo or Sakurai themselves.

Anyway nothing to worry about, Geno could still be in, I believe we will get some news. I'll take that Sora question. Would I be happy if he got in? Yes as a fan of Kingdom Hearts 100% Plus I'd be fun to slash Mario and Link with a giant key weapon. (Sorry Mario and Link your still my main boys along with King K. Rool.) Anyway yes I would be happy if Sora got in.

But I still want Geno more. I hope the next news be it direct or whatever unveils who this Square Enix rep is. Time to find out just hope it's the doll with a lot of talent.

domriver

Smash Lord
Nintendo dropped the ball on this one. But to be honest at the time they did not think that Geno would be popular - I could be wrong but when Brawl started happening im sure Sakurai told Nintendo hey... People want Geno and Nintendo was like ???????????????????????? Yup there is a demand and I WANT HIM TO. xD

Also: If Sora really got in before Geno. I have nothing against Sora - I don't find him appealing im neutral on him. I won't be upset or happy if he is in. However, I would be devasted and upset that he got in over Geno just at that. Not the character himself. Geno has so much going for him the signs are all pointing to his inclusion and especially after the confirmation of Ridley, King K Rool and Sakurai's statements. So yeah. :)

Marvel-Otaku-Man

Smash Apprentice
Well, its Friday and still no announcement. At this point I've come to two conclusions. One- that re-scheduling from that disaster pushed all future announcements back a week. So we should get something next week. Two- we get nothing for October, but get another huge Smash direct early November. I'd imagine we get it on Nov 7 (the first full week of the month) still giving us a full month 'till the release date. October is nearly half over, so I could live with waiting until November.

Klimax

Smash Ace
To be honest, I don't expect anything for october. I expect a november Smash Direct with 4 characters (2 being echo fighters) and nothing else.

domriver

Smash Lord
Well, its Friday and still no announcement. At this point I've come to two conclusions. One- that re-scheduling from that disaster pushed all future announcements back a week. So we should get something next week. Two- we get nothing for October, but get another huge Smash direct early November. I'd imagine we get it on Nov 7 (the first full week of the month) still giving us a full month 'till the release date. October is nearly half over, so I could live with waiting until November.
Im still on the fact that they need to reveal everything before Nov. I fear leaks will be rampant as quickly as possible. :X

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Nintendo would only buy the rights to Super Mario RPG if:
  1. Nintendo saw a profit and planned to use Super Mario RPG in the future.
  2. Square Enix was willing to sell the rights to Nintendo.
  3. Nintendo had an in-house studio that could make the games (because it seems current day Square has no way of making a proper RPG).
Honestly, I would prefer Nintendo own the characters and have AlphaDream (creators of the Mario and Luigi RPG series) work on the sequel/remake for the game with some help from 1-UP studios (formerly known as Brownie Brown who made the Magical Starsign, Secret of Mana, and Mother 3 games).

AlphaDream would keep the zaniness and wackiness we love from the Mario Brothers and 1-Up studios would help provide the traditional RPG focus.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I wonder if we'll have the whole roster by the end of the month. By the end of next month for sure.

It's not long now
Honestly, I’d be shocked if we didn’t know everything early next month. They’ll want to get info out before popular reviewers start getting their copy.

domriver

Smash Lord
Nintendo would only buy the rights to Super Mario RPG if:
  1. Nintendo saw a profit and planned to use Super Mario RPG in the future.
  2. Square Enix was willing to sell the rights to Nintendo.
  3. Nintendo had an in-house studio that could make the games (because it seems current day Square has no way of making a proper RPG).
Honestly, I would prefer Nintendo own the characters and have AlphaDream (creators of the Mario and Luigi RPG series) work on the sequel/remake for the game with some help from 1-UP studios (formerly known as Brownie Brown who made the Magical Starsign, Secret of Mana, and Mother 3 games).

AlphaDream would keep the zaniness and wackiness we love from the Mario Brothers and 1-Up studios would help provide the traditional RPG focus.
I kinda think its either too late/price raised high.
Because of the situation that Geno is in now. Square knows there is a demand for this character any business with a sense of logic will increase the price by ALOT because of the attention. Thats presuming they are willing to sell it. If square honestly has no plans for that Universe they may sell it but at a high price because of the demand. Of course Nintendo needs to see if there is a good potential future for Mario RPG Universe and I believe there is. Make Geno apart of the gang like Rosalina was. A remake of Mario RPG + a NEW sequel for Mario RPG with new baddies and of course old ones. I think they are in business to be honest. It will be a million seller i know it will. Plus it will bring OLD fans back and make new ones. Its a win win situation for Nintendo just the price tag$$ im sure will determine what ultimately happens.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I kinda think its either too late/price raised high.
Because of the situation that Geno is in now. Square knows there is a demand for this character any business with a sense of logic will increase the price by ALOT because of the attention. Thats presuming they are willing to sell it. If square honestly has no plans for that Universe they may sell it but at a high price because of the demand. Of course Nintendo needs to see if there is a good potential future for Mario RPG Universe and I believe there is. Make Geno apart of the gang like Rosalina was. A remake of Mario RPG + a NEW sequel for Mario RPG with new baddies and of course old ones. I think they are in business to be honest. It will be a million seller i know it will. Plus it will bring OLD fans back and make new ones. Its a win win situation for Nintendo just the price tag$$ im sure will determine what ultimately happens.
Yep. Square would jack up Geno's price for Nintendo to buy out, even though they are not doing anything with the character. Integrating Geno into the main Mario series would be grand and would give more gameplay options for changes in the Mario formula. To be frank, Nintendo could use Geno for multiple things:
  1. Be part of a more serious Mario storyline alongside Rosalina.
  2. Be the number one character to add to any spinoffs or RPGs.
  3. Be the extra character that can test any mechanics that other characters cannot.
Nintendo should buy the rights to Geno only if they plan to use him. It would be comforting to know that Nintendo owns the rights, but not if they just sit on top of the character and not use him; however, if they do buy him then Nintendo should have immediate plans in the works to use such a cult classic character.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
Yep. Square would jack up Geno's price for Nintendo to buy out, even though they are not doing anything with the character. Integrating Geno into the main Mario series would be grand and would give more gameplay options for changes in the Mario formula. To be frank, Nintendo could use Geno for multiple things:
  1. Be part of a more serious Mario storyline alongside Rosalina.
  2. Be the number one character to add to any spinoffs or RPGs.
  3. Be the extra character that can test any mechanics that other characters cannot.
Nintendo should buy the rights to Geno only if they plan to use him. It would be comforting to know that Nintendo owns the rights, but not if they just sit on top of the character and not use him; however, if they do buy him then Nintendo should have immediate plans in the works to use such cult classic character.
There is so much spin off potential. Origins and such. New worlds/ Smithy's history there is a whole universe out there to explore and mario can be apart of it.
Im still waiting for Nintendo to do a Worlds Collide major platform game where Sonic and Mario worlds intertwine or at least Mario is in Sonics universe and Sonic in Mario's. vice versa anything to that extent would be nice.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
There is so much spin off potential. Origins and such. New worlds/ Smithy's history there is a whole universe out there to explore and mario can be apart of it.
Im still waiting for Nintendo to do a Worlds Collide major platform game where Sonic and Mario worlds intertwine or at least Mario is in Sonics universe and Sonic in Mario's. vice versa anything to that extent would be nice.
I would LOVE a game where Sonic/Mario are thrown into each other’s worlds, ie Sonic has to traverse the Mushroom Kingdom and Mario has to go through classic zones in Sonic. Could be that Eggman and Bowser work together to destroy their enemies by changing the dimension they’re in, and the final boss could be a mech piloted by bowser and eggman together that sonic and Mario; once they escape the other’s world would collaborate to defeat.

Last edited:

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
I've always dreamed of an RPG that begins in the Mushroom Kingdom and takes you through as many Nintendo worlds as possible. Bowser gets the Star Rod that lets him shift dimensions, he gets his hand on the Triforce and some future tech from Andross. Maybe he gets his hands on a Master Ball and captures one of the Legendary Pokemon. Wario and Waluigi could even be the ones plundering from other Nintendo Worlds before Bowser takes all their goods becoming the secret final boss. Fox and Link fight alongside Mario in a final battle against Bowser.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I've always dreamed of an RPG that begins in the Mushroom Kingdom and takes you through as many Nintendo worlds as possible. Bowser gets the Star Rod that lets him shift dimensions, he gets his hand on the Triforce and some future tech from Andross. Maybe he gets his hands on a Master Ball and captures one of the Legendary Pokemon. Wario and Waluigi could even be the ones plundering from other Nintendo Worlds before Bowser takes all their goods becoming the secret final boss. Fox and Link fight alongside Mario in a final battle against Bowser.
That just got me thinking of a Kingdom Hearts esque game with Geno transversing all the different Nintendo universes.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
All this talk of Geno being back in Mario games puts a simple on my face.

I would love to see a SMRPG sequel that would feature not only Geno, but Rosalina as a character as well.

With how well Octopath Traveler has been doing and Square working well with Nintendo, this doesn't seem to far-fetched in the future.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I need to get octopath Traveller whenever I get a switch. Don't think I will until Smash comes out.

Kind of waiting for some kind of special edition or something

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I'm rooting the most for Geno right now. Only in Smash could there be an insane matchup between the Duck Hunt Dog, Cloud, Geno, and Ness.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
My thoughts are if a SMPRG sequel were to actually happen. it would be another collab effort and the Octopath team would be the guys to make it. maybe even using an art style like they did with that game. but altered to fit mario's world more. probably using actual 3D models. or something akin to the Mario & Luigi games character style.
I could see nintendo maybe buying Just Geno and Mallow seperately to use in future games. but if we are talking everything from the games I think square would want to hold onto that for the possibility of using it for the collab project.

domriver

Smash Lord
My thoughts are if a SMPRG sequel were to actually happen. it would be another collab effort and the Octopath team would be the guys to make it. maybe even using an art style like they did with that game. but altered to fit mario's world more. probably using actual 3D models. or something akin to the Mario & Luigi games character style.
I could see nintendo maybe buying Just Geno and Mallow seperately to use in future games. but if we are talking everything from the games I think square would want to hold onto that for the possibility of using it for the collab project.
The idea would be i think to buy the entire franchise and not just 2 specific characters because youll run into a lot of licensing issues and all that bullcrap. Nintendo needs to buy THE ENTIRE FRANCHISE of MARIO RPG or nothing. Plain and simple. Now i said it in this thread before that I hope the reason why Sakurai saved or is saving Geno as a last reveal because i think he may be more involved in the mysterious mode and im hoping that Square gave Nintendo free reign to use whatever they want in the mario rpg universe in ultimate. That is my hope. :D Dream come true really. Smithy as a boss. Kinda like Castlevania gave nintendo ALOT to use.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I would LOVE a game where Sonic/Mario are thrown into each other’s worlds, ie Sonic has to traverse the Mushroom Kingdom and Mario has to go through classic zones in Sonic. Could be that Eggman and Bowser work together to destroy their enemies by changing the dimension they’re in, and the final boss could be a mech piloted by bowser and eggman together that sonic and Mario; once they escape the other’s world would collaborate to defeat.
That sounds like a really cool idea and would make for a great game, would play it if it was actually real. :grin:

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
My top three at this point are 1. Geno 2. Isaac 3. Banjo Kazooie. Maybe that's really generic as those are generally considered the big three in fan polls, but there's a reason for all of them. I love Super Mario RPG, and think Geno has an excellent design that could easily be made really interesting. Isaac has a ton of potential and I've supported him heavily since Smash 4's speculation (I really wanted both him and Shulk to show up, I got one so far). And both have great communities that have made me respect the characters even more, especially considering all the flak they've caught over the years for merely wanting characters in Smash.

Banjo Kazooie was one of the main reasons I bought a N64 when I was younger, and I love the original to death. Plus, that'd be such an amazing homecoming moment for a character that has no real business being on Nintendo consoles again.

To be fair, I got my previous first and second picks, Ridley and King K. Rool. And my number 5 in Simon Belmont. So this game has already done a lot for me.

Beyond them, I really want Skull Kid for better Majora's Mask representation. Midna falls into a similar boat, but she's stuck in snow globe jail. Dixie Kong feels like she should just already be in the game. I've also kind of fallen in love with the idea of seeing a move set around the likes of Ayumi and the Excitebiker if we were to have any retro reps. Especially Excitebiker since he has a lot of potential and history with Nintendo as well. And finally, my number 4 most requested character currently that is criminally underrated is in the form of Chibi-Robo. What a shame he doesn't get more attention these days...

D

Deleted member

I need to get octopath Traveller whenever I get a switch. Don't think I will until Smash comes out.

Kind of waiting for some kind of special edition or something
Nintendo Switch truly is amazing. Probably my favourite system actually it is get it when you can, you won't be going wrong with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate but everyone knows that. Octopath Traveler is amazing you won't regret you're purchase.

Enjoy the system and games when you get it can't go wrong there.

Also would love a Super Mario RPG remake.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
If not next week for news probably not till November like a predicted

And for the playlist update thing probably just preparing for the reveal(s) as a matter of fact maybe more than 1 is set for October

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Nintendo Switch truly is amazing. Probably my favourite system actually it is get it when you can, you won't be going wrong with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate but everyone knows that. Octopath Traveler is amazing you won't regret you're purchase.

Enjoy the system and games when you get it can't go wrong there.

Also would love a Super Mario RPG remake.
I'm holding out for an official Atomic Purple Switch

Never gonna happen, but I can dream.

Or hell, just a regular purple one

Last edited:

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
I’m absolutely loving my new switch. It’s great if you live with someone who watches a lot of tv, in my case my wife is big into Netflix Hulu etc so when she wants the tv, poof I’m still playing Zelda at high quality. What a wonderful thing

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I’m absolutely loving my new switch. It’s great if you live with someone who watches a lot of tv, in my case my wife is big into Netflix Hulu etc so when she wants the tv, poof I’m still playing Zelda at high quality. What a wonderful thing
I stopped playing on TV ever since the Wii U because my parents watch it so often, lol.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Aside from Geno, my top three are basically Takamaru (I really think Nintendo should revisit this franchise), Ashley (I want to see a traditional witch in Smash), and Shantae (my favorite indie series). Historically, Isaac's been in my top ten for as long as Geno's been my #1 so I'm really pulling for him too. Banjo is super nostalgic for me too was probably my #2 or #3 for Smash before Microsoft bought Rare so seeing him would also be a really big deal for me.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think at this point, my top 3 would be

1) Blastoise
2) Geno
3) IDK

Marx, Skull Kid, Dillon, or Banjo.

Blastoise is not happening though, so Geno is basically my number 1

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
My top three are:

1. Geno
2. Geno
3. Geno

Seriously, no other character matters to me. Sora would be kinda cool as a KH fan but I'm rather distant from the series since I missed out on BBS during the PSP days and Goemon would be pretty rad but he's nowhere near the word plausible when it comes to Smash. If Geno doesn't make it this time I'll be pretty down about it but hopefully they hook us up with characters everyone else wants instead...like Issac, BWD or B&K.

D

Deleted member

I'm holding out for an official Atomic Purple Switch

Never gonna happen, but I can dream.

Or hell, just a regular purple one

Looks awesome, and who knows maybe they might doubt it but enjoy it when you get it. Yes the Nintendo Switch is awesome.

So top 3 most wanted huh? King K. Rool is in so he's off the list. Inklings too. Really since the Kremling king got in I haven't thought about it much since he was my most wanted, now he's in so not really sure. And I'd be happy with anyone.

But if I had to say.

1. Bandana Dee (Always liked this little guy and he's an awesome character I think would fit right in my favourite Kirby character he'd be great.)

2. Incineroar (It was originally Decidueye but given recent events decimfirming it. I sided with the wrestler cat. But yes I support the character so don't worry I didn't just jump on the bandwagon to support it. I do support it and want it in.)

3. Geno (Seems like such a fun character Super Mario RPG even though I never played it, seemed like a great game, and I'd be great to have him.)

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
My top three most wanted, well, I kinda hold all my wanted characters on an equal level, but if I had to choose:

1) Skull Kid (mai boi; favorite Zelda character)

2) Banjo-Kazooie (my first N64 game, and possibly my very first game (though I may have played some NES or SNES game first, I'm not sure about my memories), two of my favorite characters)

3) Geno (I really like his character and design, he seems cool; he may not show much of a character, but from what I've read (I still need to play SMRPG) he's basically the Mario universe's version of an angel, so that's enough for me).

I also really like Minecraft, so I'd love if Steve or a Creeper were playable, but I believe these other characters should come first (though, if I'm being honest, I wouldn't complain about Minecraft if it got in first, I'd just be disappointed about other characters not making it, the same if Minecraft wasn't in).

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Well for my most wanted characters now that I think about it I basically got my number 2, 3, and 4 with Ridley, K. Rool, and Simon. So yeah I'm being really greedy still asking for Geno after getting all of that. but counting all of them out of the equation my top 3 would be

1: Banjo & Kazooie. Really I feel like they should have been there this whole time. like as far back as 64. or at least melee. I don't care who owns them their real home will always be with nintendo!

2: Custom Robo. Sadly with the license not being renewed this is as good as being deconfirmed at this point. But it would have made for a fun and probably obnoxious design. with a mix of guns, bombs, and pods (like little self driving explosives) along with an air dash and it's canon small size. it could have been a really interesting zoning style character.

3: Paper Mario if the Mario RPG franchises didn't get repped by Geno I'd at least be happy to see Paper Mario take that role. but only if his design revolves around using his various partners from the older games. if it's a bunch of hammer stuff then it's just gonna be a single ice climber. and please not the stickers!!!

although now I'm curious. what are peoples wanted characters that have gotten in previous games?

for me smash 4 Little Mac was my 2nd most wanted and he got in. I remember seeing it pop up in one of my facebook groups. so missed the reveal but I was still SO EXCITED!! I was looking at his trailer so many times to try to figure out what every one of his moves were.

brawl I don't exactly remember who I was really rooting for if I was actually focused on speculation at that time. but my best guess is that Diddy Kong was my most wanted at the time and he got in. I remember him being one of my favorite characters as a kid and really wanting him in smash.

Melee I was too young to really speculate or even know a new game was coming before it was actually released. so I wouldn't have payed attention to any reveals. So how I found out my most wanted got in was through just unlocking him naturally in the game! it was so exciting to see that newcomer approaching thing pop up. and then it happened CHALLENGER APPROACHING!........ FALCO!

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I didn't speculate for melee but I watched this Japanese blog. I'm not actually sure if it was the official one or not. It updated daily and sometimes added new characters. It had the official artwork so I THINK it was official.

My most wanted for melee was Bowser and King Dedede

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom