• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I was thinking about cancelling my preorder if Geno doesn't make it in. We demanded Geno and they got our hopes up, and we get shafted? This isn't 2008 with Brawl or 2014 with Wii U. There was plenty of time to get Geno in, and Square has been involved since the start, so there's no excuses! They know there's a huge demand for him.After all these months of Directs with fan ballot picks, HTF could you end it with Ken and Incineroar?! Srsly
There's still DLC if Geno somehow doesn't make the base roster. That said, there's no need to definitively say RIP Geno until probably October 2019 at the earliest. It's discouraging but this situation could easily get dragged out for another year. Like many people have mentioned, literally every single major release Nintendo has put out for the Switch has had either DLC or rolling updates and, given the fact that next year is Smash's 20th anniversary, there's no way that DLC is getting skipped over for this game.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
After the August Direct had dropped, I only had two requests of Sakurai, other than 'plzplzplz Geno plzplzplz!':

1. Put all the previous Mii Costumes in the base game, would be a nice touch.
2. If Geno is to be announced, put him at the end of that Direct. To put it simply, I want to pay attention to everything in every direct and I can't do that if I'm balling my eyes out and blowing my nose every five seconds.

Smady

Smash Master
Just posting my two cents here as I felt like checking in, posted about my experience playing SMRPG a long time ago.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict Geno is the Square-Enix newcomer Vergeben keeps talking about. This is purely based on what Sakurai has said in the past, the Mii costume, the history of Geno's fanbase for Smash and how this game's theme is "Ultimate" and "Everyone is Here." The other contenders have none of this going for them. In the least I imagine Geno will be in as DLC but he makes the most sense to be in the base.

Saying that I got burned pretty bad when I expected K. Rool for Smash 4 and it didn't happen. I hope you guys don't get burned the same way if it is some other Square character like Sora. Personally I'd want Geno over that myself.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
View attachment 166261

LOL, Geno crossover in Kingdom Hearts
I'm suddenly reminded of the Age of Ultron trailers.

"I had strings,
but now I'm freeeeeeeeee~
There are
no strings
on me."

(I'm well aware that it's originally from Pinocchio, but the Ultron version was much creepier - shame the movie didn't match the trailer)

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
After the August Direct had dropped, I only had two requests of Sakurai, other than 'plzplzplz Geno plzplzplz!':

1. Put all the previous Mii Costumes in the base game, would be a nice touch.
2. If Geno is to be announced, put him at the end of that Direct. To put it simply, I want to pay attention to everything in every direct and I can't do that if I'm balling my eyes out and blowing my nose every five seconds.
Sounds like a very good idea, I like it.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
One of the common criticisms about Geno making it to Smash is that he is an obscure character from an old game and he is insignificant.

From these criticism I can say one thing: if it is true, why is Pit created in Brawl or Ice Climbers created in Melee? They were obscure characters from an old niche game yet they still make it in.

You can not tell me that Geno is not on the list because he is not a retro character because the SNES has been release over 20 years, it is already retro right now!

Geno can be a retro that represent both Mario and Square at the same time.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Y'know, I was just wondering how exactly we ever managed with the other Smash speculation cycles, considering they were YEARS long, and this one is so torturous despite being so short. And then I remembered:

With Brawl, we had the Dojo--daily updates where newcomers could even be shown.

With 4, we had the pic of the day. Usually didn't show newcomers if it ever did, but often confirmed veterans. Also showed other new content.

This time, though...all vets were shown from the start, so no drip feed of confirmations. Newcomers are sparse and only revealed in directs. Daily updates only show confirmed elements. Therefore, the only new info we get regularly is music.

You know what? This is worse. It's only going to be 8 months or so counting the first reveal...but the info droughts make it seem even longer. The daily updates were something to look forward to, like Christmas morning every day--it made the wait for 4 and Brawl seem so much shorter. But this time...ugh.

I want this to be over. I don't even want to think about DLC speculation. The worst part is, I know if Geno isn't base game, I most definitely won't be able to avoid doing it. Even if I know it would be better to distance myself, it won't happen. It's base game, or another year of torture.

A lot riding on this next direct...please, Sakurai. Set me free, lol.

Klimax

Smash Ace
We know for a fact that there's going to be some DLC. But in my opinion, this is not that important, because Geno is probably going to be in the base game as fighter #70.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
We know for a fact that there's going to be some DLC. But in my opinion, this is not that important, because Geno is probably going to be in the base game as fighter #70.
I'd like to think so, but box theory.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I'd like to think so, but box theory.
And ending on 69 fighters? To me, that seems just as unlikely as the box theory looks plausible. Worst case scenario, Sakurai would make another semi-clone like Isabelle to round it off to 70 if he couldn't squeeze in another full newcomer. Hell, it's possible Isabelle was the echo who was upgraded to make it 70.

"Featuring nearly 70 characters!" Is not as impressive as saying "70+" where marketing is concerned. I find it unlikely they'd stop there. So one way or another, the box theory is NOT foolproof, Geno or no. It never was.

And that's not even mentioning other theories against it, like the blog theory or 108 stages. If anything, we're at neutral likelihood on 2 or more newbies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Geno confirmed.
Why would they make a small reference to Geno now after so many years of keeping him away from the spotlight ? There's just too many things going for Geno, he's gotta be in the game.
It's probably actually just a pinocchio reference

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Y'know, I was just wondering how exactly we ever managed with the other Smash speculation cycles, considering they were YEARS long, and this one is so torturous despite being so short. And then I remembered:

With Brawl, we had the Dojo--daily updates where newcomers could even be shown.

With 4, we had the pic of the day. Usually didn't show newcomers if it ever did, but often confirmed veterans. Also showed other new content.

This time, though...all vets were shown from the start, so no drip feed of confirmations. Newcomers are sparse and only revealed in directs. Daily updates only show confirmed elements. Therefore, the only new info we get regularly is music.

You know what? This is worse. It's only going to be 8 months or so counting the first reveal...but the info droughts make it seem even longer. The daily updates were something to look forward to, like Christmas morning every day--it made the wait for 4 and Brawl seem so much shorter. But this time...ugh.

I want this to be over. I don't even want to think about DLC speculation. The worst part is, I know if Geno isn't base game, I most definitely won't be able to avoid doing it. Even if I know it would be better to distance myself, it won't happen. It's base game, or another year of torture.

A lot riding on this next direct...please, Sakurai. Set me free, lol.
I think part of the excitement for this one is how soon it releases from announcement. It concentrates all the excitement.
I think the other part is that this time they made sure to say, "look, everyone is back, AND we have more newcomers to announce before the game releases." My memory could be fuzzy, but I don't think we were ever told before that we were gonna have everyone shown before the game releases, then showing characters get in that we thought would never make it (starting with Ridley, amped up by K. Rool).

TLDR; they turned it up 11 with extra fan service and told everyone, "AND IT'S GONNA BE HERE SOON SO GET PUMPED!"

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Normally, I would not be interested in being a follower, due to how Square Enix licenses work. But after seeing that little nod to him in KH3...I'm slightly more inclined in him, due to Square Enix making part of that game...

I'll help you guys get him in the game, and I will follow him. But if he isn't in, it's not my fault, alright? He can come as DLC if not in base game...

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
One of the common criticisms about Geno making it to Smash is that he is an obscure character from an old game and he is insignificant.

From these criticism I can say one thing: if it is true, why is Pit created in Brawl or Ice Climbers created in Melee? They were obscure characters from an old niche game yet they still make it in.

You can not tell me that Geno is not on the list because he is not a retro character because the SNES has been release over 20 years, it is already retro right now!

Geno can be a retro that represent both Mario and Square at the same time.
One of my favorite rebuttals to the relevancy argument is popularity =/= relevancy. Boba Fett was a very popular Star Wars character, and he originally had like, what, 6 minutes of screentime?

Smash Bros. never was, and never has been, about relevancy to modern gaming. It's a celebration of all things Nintendo and gaming. Geno represents a very special part of RPGs, as well as Nintendo and Square's relationship. This is why Geno deserves a spot. Not only because he's popular or highly requested, but because he represents a lot of amazing things.

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
It's probably actually just a pinocchio reference
In my opinion, it looks more like Geno. If they wanted to make a clear reference to Pinocchio, they would have done something that is not that similar to Geno. It's really weird.

Sure, it has Pinocchio's nose, but the hat, the eyes a bit hidden by the hat and the sign on the hat make me think that this is a Geno's reference more than a Pinocchio's one.

Or maybe this guy is Genocchio

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
In my opinion, it looks more like Geno. If they wanted to make a clear reference to Pinocchio, they would have done something that is not that similar to Geno. It's really weird.
I mean, this is Kingdom Hearts, right? Couldn't they just straight-up use Pinocchio if they wanted to? Or at least use the same style if it's for an enemy.

There are tons of ways to do a possessed doll character that aren't so very reminiscent of Geno. The hat over the eyes, which happens to have a symbol on it, and the style of the mouth...

If it is coincidence, it's a very uncanny one.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Man has it been a slow news day or what around here? After all these leaks I suppose it's nice to get a bit of a mental break.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Have to hope Sakurai mentions DLC in the next Direct.
While I don't doubt this game will have DLC, I hope he doesn't announce it before the game is released. That's just a scummy move especially since devs these days release bare boned games with on-disc content released later on and with a price.

MephistoSlayer

Smash Rookie
Hi. I´m new around here, but I want to add to support for this Geno thread. I still remember the rumors of Geno being in Smash Brawl and his inclusion would make me very happy. Hopefully our dreams come true!

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Hi. I´m new around here, but I want to add to support for this Geno thread. I still remember the rumors of Geno being in Smash Brawl and his inclusion would make me very happy. Hopefully our dreams come true!
Welcome, always great to see more support. :grin:

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Wow ... Geno ressurection 2018.
How awesome would it be if in the next Nintendo Direct, an announcement is made in conjunction with Geno's reveal which announces a Mario RPG redone in 3D. Think Chain of Memories.

What if Geno got a color scheme that is a homage to this KH3 puppet?

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
While I don't doubt this game will have DLC, I hope he doesn't announce it before the game is released. That's just a scummy move especially since devs these days release bare boned games with on-disc content released later on and with a price.
Announcing that the game will have DLC before it's released is not scummy. Working on content that you intend to be DLC while the game is being working on is scummy. Mewtwo was announced as DLC before the WiiU version of Smash 4 had dropped, and it was merely to say that he wouldn't come out until much later since he was being worked on post-release.

Bendario

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone, I'm new to Smashboards, but Iv'e been a long time Smash bros player (The first smash bros I played was Melee).

I wasn't an huge character supporter in the past (except for Rayman, but it was more "Oh, it would be cool if he got in.") but Iv'e recently played Super Mario RPG, and damn, it's a masterpiece.
Mario RPGs were an huge part of my childhood, and is still a big part of my gaming life. So seeing the origin of all of this, SMRPG was mindblowing.
Between the simple but fun and dynamic gameplay, the amazing ost, the developped universe, and the unique characters such as Mallow, Frogfucius, Smithy, Jonathan Jones, and obviously, Geno, I couldn't ask for a better game.

So after realizing how much support Geno got since...Well, it was possible to ask for characters to get into Smash, I directly supported him.( Could you add me to the Geno support list please by the way ?)
Except for Olimar, I don't have this huge connection with a Smash character. So, if Geno gets in, I would instantly co-main him alongside him my favorite spaceman.

(And sorry if my english is weird, I'm french...)
Glad you enjoyed the game, and glad to have you on board. As someone who played the game when it came out originally, I have always wondered what it must be like to play and enjoy its successors, then go back to SMRPG and see how it all began. Were you surprised by anything in particular? Or was there anything that was referenced in the other Mario RPGs that you noticed from SMRPG?

Graizen

Smash Champion
Warned for spamming.
Please , can you guys help me on the Agumon topic?
Thank you!

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
How awesome would it be if in the next Nintendo Direct, an announcement is made in conjunction with Geno's reveal which announces a Mario RPG redone in 3D. Think Chain of Memories.

What if Geno got a color scheme that is a homage to this KH3 puppet?
That would be pretty cool actually. :grin:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
All of you already talking about DLC is pretty depressing. Nothing about the characters they chose as DLC in Smash 4 would give me any hope that Geno would be the type of character they'd make as DLC for Ultimate. It was all returning veterans, widely recognizable third parties, or advertisements for new games.

Hoping for Geno as DLC before we even know the final roster is giving me an all too familiar feeling like we're going to get screwed again, because I have a hard time believing he'd be added that way. He has everything going for him right now with the fanbase, sakurai support, and SE playing ball. There is no reason for him not to make the base roster and if he doesn't, there is obviously something going on behind the scenes here that isn't going to resolve itself in time for DLC.

Have some dang hope that he's just in the game. We don't ****ing deserve to be strung along any further here

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
All of you already talking about DLC is pretty depressing. Nothing about the characters they chose as DLC in Smash 4 would give me any hope that Geno would be the type of character they'd make as DLC for Ultimate. It was all returning veterans, widely recognizable third parties, or advertisements for new games.

Hoping for Geno as DLC before we even know the final roster is giving me an all too familiar feeling like we're going to get screwed again, because I have a hard time believing he'd be added that way. He has everything going for him right now with the fanbase, sakurai support, and SE playing ball. There is no reason for him not to make the base roster and if he doesn't, there is obviously something going on behind the scenes here that isn't going to resolve itself in time for DLC.

Have some dang hope that he's just in the game. We don't ****ing deserve to be strung along any further here
This right here, I agree with especially the fanbase, Sakurai’s support, and SE being friendly and don’t forget that he also got a Mii Costume in Smash 3DS/Wii U and was the only Mii Costume with a splash screen like a playable character would get as well.

link2702

Smash Champion
Yeah really guys be a bit more optimistic, his chances are still better than ever and definitely better than some other characters.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Geno has a strong chance to be the final revealed newcomer, IMO. I don't think Square will prevent him from being playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom