• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice
Not to diss your other choices, but I feel you already know the likelihood of them turning out to be true.

Though I have to say, I'm all for a random Goemon approaching, but only if his trailer seems so troll it seems fake and he breaks the fourth wall and has a laugh track. Also, apparently Cave Story was a big deal, what did I miss?

Also, welcome to the Geno Is Best Puppet Club!
Hahaha, don't worry. Of course I know. That's why I called them "weird choices". I'm pretty realistic with the chances. As realistic as that Waluigi won't be playable

That sounds an interesting entrance for Goemon, lol. And well, Cave Story is a long-time indie game that predates Shovel Knight. I'm not quite sure, but it may be the first indie game that got very popular, bringing attention to indies. Worth noting that it was made by a single man.

And thanks. I hope I can contribute with a bit of karma for our loved star warrior. Gotta love doing 9999% to everybody, lol

gzmee

Smash Apprentice
I keep having dreams about Geno. I know it's just because he's been on my mind a whole lot this week, but I want to believe that it's a sign or something.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
I keep having dreams about Geno. I know it's just because he's been on my mind a whole lot this week, but I want to believe that it's a sign or something.
Thank god I’m not the only who’s had dreams about Smash bros character reveals. I had one about Hector from Fire Emblem being revealed, and another about Crash Bandicoot being revealed.

I don’t even want these characters (though they’d be cool to have in the game regardless). What’s going on with my mind lol

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Weird, I've been having a similar experience. In my dreams Geno and I are always on a candle lit dinner date, filet mignon. But as soon as I start to eat he gets pulled backwards into eternal darkness while Sakurai appears in the corner, laughing and stroking his dong.

domriver

Smash Lord
Weird, I've been having a similar experience. In my dreams Geno and I are always on a candle lit dinner date, filet mignon. But as soon as I start to eat he gets pulled backwards into eternal darkness while Sakurai appears in the corner, laughing and stroking his dong.
LOL what

-Coco-

Smash Ace
I love Dragon Quest, but I'm not delusional. In the West, most of the people know Cloud and they think about it at the moment you say "Final Fantasy". Is this the same for Loto ? That's probably the case for Japan, but not for the West.
Also, we have some polls about which characters the Japanese want in the game and it seems that they want Geno more than any Dragon Quest rep.

No one is denying Dragon Quest popularity, especially in Japan. It's just that, when it comes to Smash, the most popular Square Enix character is just Geno.

Saying that Loto has no chance compared to Geno doesn't mean that we are denying Dragon Quest popularity. Saying that Crono has no chance compared to Geno doesn't mean that we're denying Chrono Trigger popularity.
Did you read my post at all? It was not in response to people saying Loto has no chance compared to Geno. It was in response to people saying

-DQ has no icons outside of Slime
-DQ 11 is not on a Nintendo system.

Just because he's not iconic here doesn't mean he's not an icon. Especially in the region that loves DQ more than anywhere else. I'm gonna drop it after this because it's off topic but the misinformation is annoying.

Last edited:

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Let’s remember to keep things civil and respectful. There’s nothing 100% certain, all of this is speculation. It’s okay to disagree, but there’s no need to insult anyone.

This isn’t directed at anyone specifically, just a reminder.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Let’s remember to keep things civil and respectful. There’s nothing 100% certain, all of this is speculation. It’s okay to disagree, but there’s no need to insult anyone.

This isn’t directed at anyone specifically, just a reminder.
To piggyback on this, just remember we’re all on the same team.

gzmee

Smash Apprentice
I don't remember what happened in last night's dream, all I remember is that he was there. Probably because I was listening to Forest Maze before I went to sleep.
I do remember the first dream though.
I was outside on my swing in my backyard, trying to kill time before the direct started, when I saw a rainbow beacon in the sky. I ran towards the beacon and ended up in the woods. There was a laptop sitting on the stump, airing the direct, which was showing Geno's reveal trailer. This was an hour before the direct was supposed to air.
If anyone can interpret dreams, that'd really help. I just thought I'd share this in case anyone found it interesting.

Drakonix

Smash Cadet
Positive thoughts. Positive energy. Never give up hope Geno supporters!

Edit: Forgot to say. I may not be strongest supporter of Geno, but I did have a dream about him awhile ago too. It was quick. Basically the dream was a slow pan up shot of him sleeping against a tree with the Beware the Forest Mushrooms slowly playing in the background with a slightly different tone to make it sound more like a discovery fanfare of some sort. Once the pan stopped he woke up someone showed a faint smile. *then everything went dark - Dream End*

Needless to say it was pretty cool.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Every about Smash Ultimate is just pointing in Geno's favor:

* He had a Mii Costume
* Sakurai wanted him in Brawl and likes the character
* Square Enix and Nintendo are on really good terms
* There is a rumored Square Enix character "leaked" by Vergeben (who is the most credible leaker at the moment)

But I still cannot say that Geno is definitely coming to Smash and I'm sure a lot of other people can't either. I'm not sure why, but I'm going to keep supporting him regardless.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
That kind of conspiracy sounds a kind of absurd honestly. The reason Vergeben isn't sharing the name of the square character is to protect his credibility. Incineroar we probably wouldn't have even heard about until that last post if it wasn't for the fact that loz18 posted their PM.
So vergeben is likely waiting to share the name until he has heard from every one of his sources who it is.

but I think Geno of all characters they are trying their hardest to keep under wraps. and by this time it's possible nintendo has plugged some of the holes in their security. whatever that might entail.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I'm reminded today that Nintendo had to license the Forest Mushroom song to show it in Geno's mii outfit trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBxMmbhXBrI

I'm sure they spent all that money only to play it in a 10 second video.

He's in, boys.
Just the fact that they licensed Geno's likeness at all, is very significant. Also if we get a Beware the Forest Mushrooms remix that is even half as good as the new King K. Rool arrangement.... my god......

Drakonix

Smash Cadet
Sorry if this has been answered before, but if we assume that the music theory is 100%, wouldn't Geno be a standalone rep since the Mario series received their song? What would his series icon be then? :o

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Sorry if this has been answered before, but if we assume that the music theory is 100%, wouldn't Geno be a standalone rep since the Mario series received their song? What would his series icon be then? :o
personally i think he'll get the same mario mushroom, but if he did get one for himself, i'd want it to be the super star

TBone06

Smash Ace
Potentially an RPG logo, or a Mario star. Maybe a Square logo. Who knows. I still think he falls under the mushroom regardless of the music theory.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I'm reminded today that Nintendo had to license the Forest Mushroom song to show it in Geno's mii outfit trailer.

He's in, boys.
That is actually an excellent point I haven't heard brought up before. but yeah another example of how much extra care was put into the Mii costume. like seriously they went out of their way to license a song just for a reveal of a mii costume! the level of care they put into is is crazy when compared to all the other costumes. and if so many of those costumes are turning into characters than how would they not make a character out of the costume that they put the most effort into showing off?!

Potentially an RPG logo, or a Mario star. Maybe a Square logo. Who knows. I still think he falls under the mushroom regardless of the music theory.
Well there are 2 mushroom icons still. I think it's possible that the second mushroom would be expanded to cover more than just mario kart, but all mario spin off titles. which Geno would fall under. so it's actually still possible for Geno to fit into the music theory.

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
That is actually an excellent point I haven't heard brought up before. but yeah another example of how much extra care was put into the Mii costume. like seriously they went out of their way to license a song just for a reveal of a mii costume! the level of care they put into is is crazy when compared to all the other costumes. and if so many of those costumes are turning into characters than how would they not make a character out of the costume that they put the most effort into showing off?!

Well there are 2 mushroom icons still. I think it's possible that the second mushroom would be expanded to cover more than just mario kart, but all mario spin off titles. which Geno would fall under. so it's actually still possible for Geno to fit into the music theory.
That is a good point actually. I guess it would depend on how Sakurai views it. Did they ever show what music was in the section of the second mushroom?

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627

He's in, boys.
This is actually genius. My only thought against it would be what if it's cheap because it's old? But then again, wouldn't Geno also theoretically be cheap to license since he's old? Although I'm sure a piece of music would be cheaper than a full character. Excuse my inner ramblings...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
In that trailer, it kind of seemed like a big thing when he announced the Geno costume.

It'd be super disappointing if he didn't make character in Ultimate

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
That is a good point actually. I guess it would depend on how Sakurai views it. Did they ever show what music was in the section of the second mushroom?
we didn't see the number of tracks when they were scrolling through music in the smash direct. But did some digging and I'm actually on to something. I went through the list of songs in the WiiU game. and yeah all the music that was from the RPG games like Mario & Luigi and Paper mario. is categorized with the mario kart, mario party, docter mario, and luigi's mansion music. it's not a mario kart section it is a mario spin off section!

So any Mario RPG music would be in the second mushroom icon. we've only seen the first Icon for mario. Music theory has nothing on us!!

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
In that trailer, it kind of seemed like a big thing when he announced the Geno costume.

It'd be super disappointing if he didn't make character in Ultimate
It was very obvious he was putting that out as if it was a big deal. Honestly at the time, I didn't think there would be a new game anytime soon. But knowing that they had this in mind, I really struggle to see why they would do us dirty like that. You never know, but I have to think this was the start of something.

we didn't see the number of tracks when they were scrolling through music in the smash direct. But did some digging and I'm actually on to something. I went through the list of songs in the WiiU game. and yeah all the music that was from the RPG games like Mario & Luigi and Paper mario. is categorized with the mario kart and mario party music.

So any Mario RPG music would be in the second mushroom icon. we've only seen the first Icon for mario. Music theory has nothing on us!!
I just wonder if there is a different file number for the second mushroom. On paper it looks the exact same. But there clearly is a difference between the two. I remember if you saved the icons back in the BrawlDojo, each icon was numbered differently. We'll see I guess! I do think if they are already classifying spin-offs as a separate category, that would mean the Mario RPG music would fall under that.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
we didn't see the number of tracks when they were scrolling through music in the smash direct. But did some digging and I'm actually on to something. I went through the list of songs in the WiiU game. and yeah all the music that was from the RPG games like Mario & Luigi and Paper mario. is categorized with the mario kart and mario party music.

Interesting. WHat is the second Mario logo, just another mushroom? I don't know or remember.

If the music theory is helping Elma's chances and Isaac's without hurting Geno's, then I'm all for it lol.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
It was very obvious he was putting that out as if it was a big deal. Honestly at the time, I didn't think there would be a new game anytime soon. But knowing that they had this in mind, I really struggle to see why they would do us dirty like that. You never know, but I have to think this was the start of something.
Well thing to keep in mind the idea of "doing us dirty like that" is more of an unexpected reaction from the audience. Sakurai made Mii costumes and the Mii's in general as a means for people to get their characters in at least to some extent. they didn't expect the audience to take it as skinning their favorite character and slapping them on an ugly Mii as we all ended up seeing it as.

I think that is why this time they are instead going the route of Echo Fighters. because even though they are not a unique moveset. it's still undoubtedly them there in the game. I could also see them in the next direct revealing a lot more alternate costumes for characters that are of different characters where they can make it make sense. like Miss Pac Man.

Yes they are both mushrooms. but we got 2 mushroom slots in music as seen in the direct. as a means to organize the music from main line mario games and the ones from spin offs. since Mario has so many spin off games.

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
Well thing to keep in mind the idea of "doing us dirty like that" is more of unexpected reaction from the audience. Sakurai made Mii costumes and the Mii's in general as a means for people to get their characters in at least to some extent. they didn't expect the audience to take it as skinning their favorite character and slapping them on an ugly Mii as we all ended up seeing it as.

I think that is why this time they are instead going the route of Echo Fighters. because even though they are not a unique moveset. it's still undoubtedly them there in the game.

Yes they are both mushrooms. but we got 2 mushroom slots in music as seen in the direct. as a means to organize the music from main line mario games and the ones from spin offs. since Mario has so many spin off games.
When I said "doing us dirty" I am referring to him potentially snubbing him for Ultimate. As in, they make this whole big thing about revealing him as a costume in Smash 4, only to not go through with anything in Smash Ultimate. That would be a huge tease in my eyes. I think the Mii Costume was a huge win given the circumstances of Smash 4, regardless of any backlash Sakurai got.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Also, didn't production begin immediately after Smash 4? Like, they were doing DLC and starting Smash 5 at the same time. Those Mii costumes must've been a good way to test the waters, and with the special attention Geno's costume got.. He's gotta be in.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's actually a terrible idea to give up on Geno's chances now. Even if he somehow doesn't make the base game, the best way to make sure he will get DLC is to keep up the hype that's been going on up until this point.

Just keep up as usual and hope beyond all odds.

That's what we've been doing for 12 years.

The game comes out in 3 months. What's 3 months to 12 years?

Or 22 years since Mario RPG came out?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
It's actually a terrible idea to give up on Geno's chances now. Even if he somehow doesn't make the base game, the best way to make sure he will get DLC is to keep up the hype that's been going on up until this point.

Just keep up as usual and hope beyond all odds.

That's what we've been doing for 12 years.

The game comes out in 3 months. What's 3 months to 12 years?

Or 22 years since Mario RPG came out?
To be honest with you chief, YOU had me worried the most. It didn't really seem like you to stop believing in Geno, because X said 'leak' states this and just fits...
A lot of theories as of late have been fitting TOO PERFECTLY. I don't remember the names, but I know there were some back in Sm4sh and even Brawl days that just fit to perfectly.
Anyways, good to see you back to your senses, even if it does turn true, Geno WILL GET IN DUE TO THE AMAZING FANBASE!

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
If he's not in the base game, he'll be DLC. It's ULTIMATE time! Also, if any franchise is going to have two music posts, it's Mario. Keep the faith!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Even if the music theory is true, remember the trailer specifically had the Geno mii costume as "Super Smash Bros x Mario RPG" so Geno could get his own icon.

It's weird, but if he's specifically labeled like that it could work.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Also, didn't production begin immediately after Smash 4? Like, they were doing DLC and starting Smash 5 at the same time. Those Mii costumes must've been a good way to test the waters, and with the special attention Geno's costume got.. He's gotta be in.
This one. I like this reality best.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
I forgot they had the music in his trailer. As someone else said, it seems a bit silly to license the song for a small clip of it just for a mii costume. You’d probably want to get your money’s worth on that and have a reason to run the entire track. It might even be a more elaborate remix that was made that we haven’t heard yet!

Wasn’t Geno the last costume revealed? :)
Wasn’t Geno’s costume given the most special treatment? :)

Geno is one of the longest requested characters since third party entries became possible, and has been out of action for longer than most other requests.

Saving us for near the end was deliberate and it’s going to make getting what we want even sweeter. We’ve come this far and our chances are still good. Hold steady folks, we’ll get good news soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom