• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
There is a lot of FF/Square games coming out ... which means the relationship is strong/getting stronger between Nintendo and Square. Which can be good for Geno. However, Isabelle took up another New comer slot ... makes me worry honestly.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
My biggest issue with this Direct was that we got ALL of that Square information. And then no Geno... Like Square is clearly going all in on Switch, and I absolutely love that. It felt like the set-up for a Square Smash reveal.

And then Animal Crossing. And I understood what was happening. We were getting Animal Crossing Switch revealed as the last major announcement, and Isabelle was being revealed alongside them. And for half a second, she seemed like an Echo with the fact that she did the same dash animation. I dared to believe with how the Square stuff was ending this Direct, and continued to dare to believe when I thought there was a chance she might just be an Echo... Though the splash screen was a giveaway to me too...

Ah well, she looks pretty cool and definitely makes sense as a fighter. I hope the Smash Direct or future ones can get use some other characters we want. And I do know how big she is at this point already.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I get it's not a Smash Direct, but my issue with the reveal was there was absolutely no hype in that trailer. I like to be a bit shocked, or have some curiousity. I'm happy Isabelle is in, would have preferred her as an Echo, but there was literally no build in that trailer, which automatically makes it the weakest trailer thus far.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
To be honest, I'm kind of glad Geno didn't get announced today because my heart was on the verge of exploding after all the Square Enix announcements. Holy ****... 7, 9, and both 10s on a Nintendo console for the first time... I never thought I'd see the day.

gebi

Cloud Prince
How are we feeling about Geno now guys?
Have you guys seen this yet? it has me a little worried. :/

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I get it's not a Smash Direct, but my issue with the reveal was there was absolutely no hype in that trailer. I like to be a bit shocked, or have some curiousity. I'm happy Isabelle is in, would have preferred her as an Echo, but there was literally no build in that trailer, which automatically makes it the weakest trailer thus far.
I agree, it's like a full minute of her talking and walking around the office... however, I imagine this is one of those japanese humor things that doesn't really translate very well.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Isabelle was a super safe guess and it tied in perfectly to announcing Animal Crossing for the Switch. Because this was a more casual Direct, Isabelle or a new Pokemon rep were probably the most likely. Geno's my favorite character but it would have been a weak way to end the Direct for most people. This just builds my confidence that characters like him and Isaac will probably be saved for the next or last (I think there will be two more) Smash Direct.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Another +1 for Vergeben. Gen 7 Pokemon and a new Square-Enix rep are basically a lock at this point.

Isabelle herself was disappointing for me personally, but the circumstances of her addition bode well for a lot of my wanted characters.

Now the waiting game continues.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
The huge amount of Square enix love MEANS something guys. Don't forget that. If they are willing to give nintendo that much liberty, Geno's chances are just higher than EVER.

Isabelle being in means another AT being playable. That's good news. Mii costumes and ATs are definitely being picked up for being playable. We just gotta keep hoping for next directs.

Reminder to everyone that today neither Isaac nor Skull kid nor Geno have their chances reduced at all. The only thing that happened today is that we know which of the two leakers we can finally believe and who we dont. Verg wins today once more, regardless of how you feel about him. Let's hope next reveal is our guy time :) peace

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Eh, I'm not surprised - I felt this could go either way so all we have to do now is wait for the next Smash Direct. I don't think it changes anything.

tyrus+

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6650-4457-4607
It's good that we got Isabelle this time. This pretty much proves Vergeben's credibility, and he has mentioned that an SE rep is definitely in but he is not sure who. We just gotta hope that that 2nd rep is Geno, and I still think it is.

link2702

Smash Champion
What if we don't get another Square rep and Verge was wrong? What if we do but it turns out to be Terra, or a race from FFCC, or ugh....Sephiroth?

It's this uncertainty that's killing me.....:dizzy:

WHY sakurai must you tease us so?

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
What if we don't get another Square rep and Verge was wrong? What if we do but it turns out to be Terra, or a race from FFCC, or ugh....Sephiroth?

Can't be. Geno out performs all the other Square reps in the ballots. It's only logical that it's him.

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
Wishful thinking is exactly what Geno would want from us. He repaired the road so we may want. O! Geno!

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
How are we feeling about Geno now guys?
Have you guys seen this yet? it has me a little worried. :/
I'm pretty sure dante was already deconfirmed by the game's director, so this doesn't hold water

NukeA6

Smash Master

Vergeben is already BS because he just riding on safe picks.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
With all the FF love, I think Terra, Tifa, and Zack on the table too. This just got more interesting.
I certainly hope not. I mean I love these classic final fantasy characters, but I would sacrifice them all in a heartbeat without pity remorse to ensure Geno's inclusion.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
It was only a matter of time until a character got announced that was more of a whimper than a shout for many of us. I simply thought those would be relegated to echoes. All the while as Isabelle's trailer was going on, I hoped she would simply be an echo...then I checked the site and sure enough, unique. Or semi-clone, I guess. Still, more work went into her than feels necessary.

But she's not a pick for me. She's a pick for the wider audience. It was bound to happen, but I'd hoped it would only be mega reveals, what with how it's gone so far.

Meh...I'm just bummed now. I still think Geno is in, I just wanted the character revealed to be someone interesting. Of the few picks I would have said weren't, a Pokemon and Isabelle as a unique would be the only ones, lol. It feels like a whole reveal spent on an Echo. Now we all have to wait possibly months for something actually substantial.

Well...at least there's Luigi's Mansion 3. Thank Star Road for that.:grin:

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Vergeben is already BS because he just riding on safe picks.
There are people who still think this way?

No one was talking about Simon or Isabelle before he brought them up. He's more than proved his credibility at this point. And him being legit is good news for Geno, as he is by far the most talked-about Square rep.

That's not to say he will get everything right, but it would be in error to ignore all he's gotten right thus far.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Score 1 for Verg.

I think Geno has a nice shot at being next

Also -1 for loz

NukeA6

Smash Master
There are people who still think this way?

No one was talking about Simon or Isabelle before he brought them up. He's more than proved his credibility at this point. And him being legit is good news for Geno, as he is by far the most talked-about Square rep.

That's not to say he will get everything right, but it would be in error to ignore all he's gotten right thus far.
Simon was the most expected and requested third-party character. That's like taking credit from those who were expecting Sonic to be in Brawl.

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Simon was the most expected and requested third-party character. That's like taking credit from those who were expecting Sonic to be in Brawl.
I don't think so. For one thing Simon I don't think ever placed high on any of the ballots. I think Vergeben has been right all along.

Last edited:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Do not worry guys, we still have hope for Geno!
Many characters that turned to Mii Costumes from Smash 4 has changed as either an AT or a Unique Fighter!
  • Knuckles is AT
  • Zero is AT
  • Ashley is AT
  • King K Rool is a Character
  • Chrom is a Character
  • Isabelle is a Character
  • Takamaru is AT
  • Hunter has Ratholoes as AT
  • Inkling is a Character
  • And many more as AT!
November or October will be the year of Geno! I believe!
DnAq37xUcAA-un4.jpeg
DnArDAuUwAAZYK1.jpeg

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Lolno. Nobody was talking about Simon until Verg brought him up, and nobody saw him as likely until after E3. To say otherwise is revisionism at its finest.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I don't think so. For one thing Simon I don't think ever placed high on any of the ballots.
The ballot results we know of aren't even in large demographics and many of them have different results. Bayonetta is supposed to be the most requested for Smash 4 yet I don't even see her ranking high in any of the mockups.

Last edited:

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if that's some intense hindsight bias or what. Before Verg no one was expecting Simon or anything Konami. Due to, you know, Konami. And Snake getting cut from Smash 4. I can't speak to Simon's wanted levels, but I saw far more requests for the likes of Banjo, Geno, Sora, Rayman, Shovel Knight, Shantae, etc.

Fact of the matter is, he predicted no cuts from Smash 4, Ridley, Simon, and Isabelle long before they happened. While he has an iffy track record with past games, he has reputably leaked things in the past, and still has a 100% track record for Ultimate. I understand not fully believing him, but he's the only Ultimate leaker that I wouldn't write off as BS.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I recall seeing Simon requested quite a bit even back in the Brawl days. He appeared in a lot of character select mock-ups too, though they used his Chronicles appearance. Though he wasn't a poll topper or anything like Sonic or Geno. But to say nobody was talking about him at all is a little reductive.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I don't know if that's some intense hindsight bias or what. Before Verg no one was expecting Simon or anything Konami. Due to, you know, Konami. And Snake getting cut from Smash 4. I can't speak to Simon's wanted levels, but I saw far more requests for the likes of Banjo, Geno, Sora, Rayman, Shovel Knight, Shantae, etc.

Fact of the matter is, he predicted no cuts from Smash 4, Ridley, Simon, and Isabelle long before they happened. While he has an iffy track record with past games, he has reputably leaked things in the past, and still has a 100% track record for Ultimate. I understand not fully believing him, but he's the only Ultimate leaker that I wouldn't write off as BS.
Vergeben can't even make up his mind for his so-called predictions. You're putting way too much faith in him. As for Ridley, that was another easy pick. No cuts for Smash 4 isn't good enough evidence.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I beg to differ here. Simon was definitely notable, no lies about that, but I'm sure he wasn't anywhere near being the most wanted guest with guys like Shovel Knight, Shantae, Bomberman, Banjo-Kazooie and Geno; otherwise, why did many people react negatively when Bayo got it? I mean, many already had mixed opinions on whether Ridley and K. Rool could join the roster because of varied reasons, and I'm sure some denied the possibility of having Konami characters because of that whole fiasco with Kojima.

Also, Vergeben was pretty much the very reason why Simon got so much discussion. Once he spoke, everyone expected him and Ridley to come at E3. And he hasn't been wrong so far with his calls.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I know people are disappointed but we have to remember that Geno is a Literal Who™ to most casual players. Hell, a lot of the remaining popular picks kind of are and everyone new shown aside from Daisy arguably is so Isabelle definitely hits that sweet spot of pleasing casual players. Give it time, lads and lasses, another Smash Direct is a lock and I wouldn't be surprised if we got two given how much content is still obviously left to cover.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I beg to differ here. Simon was definitely notable, no lies about that, but I'm sure he wasn't anywhere near being the most wanted guest with guys like Shovel Knight, Shantae, Bomberman, Banjo-Kazooie and Geno; otherwise, why did many people react negatively when Bayo got it? I mean, many already had mixed opinions on whether Ridley and K. Rool could join the roster because of varied reasons, and I'm sure some denied the possibility of having Konami characters because of that whole fiasco with Kojima.

Also, Vergeben was pretty much the very reason why Simon got so much discussion. Once he spoke, everyone expected him and Ridley to come at E3. And he hasn't been wrong so far with his calls.
You act like leakers never get much discussion. Almost every one of them get attention (i.e. remember Karate Joe?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom