• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Apparently I have to say this because people are going on a big tirad about it on other sites. I don't know Zippo. He's not in my network. We have never directly talked. We don't even qualify as acquaintances. There are people in my network that do interact with him though but that's about it. Seems like a nice guy but I've never had any real interaction with him. Same thing goes for Markomaro. Apparently one of my posts was misread and turned into this big ol' thing so I thought I would clarify in black and white (er, white and black in this case).

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Since Inawordyes Inawordyes has opened the door for SpaceCrystal to better explain himself ...

I just think that everyone has a right to their opinions about who they like or dislike. But there are people who don't like certain characters like Geno, Sora or 2B & are also entitled to their opinions as long as they're being respectful about it (though I'm mostly talking about Geno). Posters shouldn't go & raise hell against other posters for not liking somebody that they themselves like.
People can like and dislike a character. Even discuss it in certain threads. I agree yes it is important to be respectful when doing this. I admit there have been people expressing their dislike of "competitors" or whatever for Geno that I do not agree with or have not been "fair" or whatever about it.

However, your intentions were not that at all. Not even close:

"Yeah, I wonder why this thread hasn't been locked at this point. Nearly 3 years & 2,430 pages of nonsense rambling, sheesh."

You said this ENTIRE thread is nonsense and doesn't deserve existence. If you were "concerned" that there are some people who are not respectful about other characters, that's fine and in points valid. But that was not your intention at all. From your own words.

IF you want to provide some constructive counter points to certain situations, "leaks", "evidence," or thoughts to entertain or discuss ... That is fine, I don't mind "the devils advocate" if it is done respectfully or with at least a measure of being genuine about it.

This is my last comment on this since the "door was opened" to explain yourself by another user wanting to give you another chance. I am for people getting another chance, but please follow the forums rules:

https://smashboards.com/help/forum-rules/

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I just think that everyone has a right to their opinions about who they like or dislike. But there are people who don't like certain characters like Geno, Sora or 2B & are also entitled to their opinions as long as they're being respectful about it (though I'm mostly talking about Geno). Posters shouldn't go & raise hell against other posters for not liking somebody that they themselves like.
I completely agree with that. No matter whether you like a character or not, or want to see that character in Smash or not, there's no need to be a jerk about it, or be a jerk to other users because of it. Ideally, if everybody was perfect, rational, and could agree to disagree on characters and still remain on friendly terms as fellow users, that would be great!

I apologize for the way you some of the others reacted to you, you have a valid point. And it's actually one that a lot of users here agree with wholeheartedly. Unfortunately for us and for you by extension), this thread has been locked at least 3 times recent because others came in appearing to have the same concerns as you but turned it into an excuse to make personal attacks against users and make rile up the thread by making arguments in seemingly-bad faith.

But again, we're pretty chill! We for the most part have a pretty balanced perspective on Geno's chances, though we're feeling more hopeful than we have in awhile and are feeling optimistic about his chances for FP2, as I know a lot of other communities are as well. But like with your point, that doesn't mean anybody needs to tear Geno down because they don't have the same optimism as we do, nor tear down any characters that could be perceived as "competition" for a spot in the game because they want Geno (or another character!) in the game instead. Respect goes a long way.

EDIT: J JarBear does make a very good point as to the wording of your initial post. I will always take the "optimistic" perspective and give people the benefit of the doubt, but people understandably don't agree with what you said, as you said it, which is why you received the reaction that you did.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Apparently I have to say this because people are going on a big tirad about it on other sites. I don't know Zippo. He's not in my network. We have never directly talked. We don't even qualify as acquaintances. There are people in my network that do interact with him though but that's about it. Seems like a nice guy but I've never had any real interaction with him. Same thing goes for Markomaro. Apparently one of my posts was misread and turned into this big ol' thing so I thought I would clarify in black and white (er, white and black in this case).
Here we ****in' go, mods already in the thread, rubbing their hands for this adventure.

D

Deleted member

Nah, that's the end of it. Just wanted to make it public real quick. Now we can go back to metaphorically killing each other while waiting for Season 2 and Geno.
Seems like every time this sort of thing comes up, **** goes down.

A reminder to all denizens of the Geno thread:
Someone comes into the thread looking like they want to stir up trouble? Seeming even .0001% less than savory?
Do not engage.

Report.
Ignore.
Talk Geno.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Bold of you to assume I fear death. I've been supporting Geno on here for almost 15 year years, I long for the release. I dream of the release. I CRAVE the release.
Before we let this bloodshed continue, let's take a moment to honor those we've already lost in the Geno Supporting War:

Slippery Jimmy
Funny Fish
Lord Woomy Beta Version
Slimmanunderwater
Luigi
Aaaaand all our dignity

You will all be truly missed :(

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Before we let this bloodshed continue, let's take a moment to honor those we've already lost in the Geno Supporting War:

Slippery Jimmy
Funny Fish
Lord Woomy Beta Version
Slimmanunderwater
Luigi
Aaaaand all our dignity

You will all be truly missed :(
Not to get overly sentimental but I wonder what McFox is up to nowadays. He was basically the Geno pioneer on this site and the founder of the Geno support thread for Brawl. Hope he's doing alright. Don't think the guy has even logged in for like a solid decade.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Something I've been thinking about: given that many prominent insiders were given incorrect information about a Nintendo Direct date this week, I'm beginning to wonder if the same could be true for character order too. I know Fatman is saying that Geno could possibly be an E3 reveal, but in light of these recent unveilings, I'm wondering if Geno will actually be the first reveal for Season 2 given his direct ties to Mario and Nintendo despite being owned by Square Enix.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I'm 99.9999% sure that there will always be another Smash Bros. Whether they will be of consistently higher quality is HEAVILY up to debate. Like it or not, sooner or later, the roster WILL hit critical mass in the same way Pokemon did where there will just be too many characters for the game itself to handle and/or to balance fairly. Plus, mechanically speaking, I predict that each subsequent Smash bros will show significantly diminishing returns. You can only optimize visuals and inputs so much. Even Sakurai himself seems to acknowledge this.
A) You do know that most of the missing are comming back with DLC? Who says Nintendo won't do the same here
B) Pokemon... balanced and fair? Don't make me laugh. Landurous is.... returning... "cries in online matches lost"

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Bold of you to assume I fear death. I've been supporting Geno on here for almost 15 year years, I long for the release. I dream of the release. I CRAVE the release.
I feel the exactly same way with Meowth.

If Geno comes back as a Mii costume again, could he possibly come with a song like Sans and Cuphead did? Maybe the one warning about forest mushrooms?

If Geno actually gets in Smash (finally), what stage could he bring to Smash? I still want the Super Mario RPG stage that is based on the prologue boss fight.

Bowser's Castle with the Exor sword in the background. Battling on the hanging chandeliers with Chain Chomps. That has to be the most iconic sight from Super Mario RPG.

Firox

Smash Master
A) You do know that most of the missing are comming back with DLC? Who says Nintendo won't do the same here
B) Pokemon... balanced and fair? Don't make me laugh. Landurous is.... returning... "cries in online matches lost"
A) Your lack of context and grammar here confuses me. If you mean that Nintendo can DLC in past characters or something, you really want to pay for that crap? Cuz I don't. Also, I'll believe a 150+ character roster when I see it.

B) I was referring to Smash Bros/Fighting game balancing, not that smoldering mess known as competitive Pokemon. The point I was trying to make is that balancing 80+ characters is a miracle unto itself and totally unheard of in the FG community. Going over 100 characters would probably give Sakurai a stroke or something unless they were to just port the entire Ultimate engine, but at that point, is it technically even a new game?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I feel the exactly same way with Meowth.

If Geno comes back as a Mii costume again, could he possibly come with a song like Sans and Cuphead did? Maybe the one warning about forest mushrooms?

If Geno actually gets in Smash (finally), what stage could he bring to Smash? I still want the Super Mario RPG stage that is based on the prologue boss fight.

Bowser's Castle with the Exor sword in the background. Battling on the hanging chandeliers with Chain Chomps. That has to be the most iconic sight from Super Mario RPG.
My ideal SMRPG stage is a "world tour." There's so many iconic locales in that game I honestly can't pick just one.

D

Deleted member

Different day, same story. People being all like Irrelevant puppet from a an RPG game that hasn’t been relevant in years. He’ll never get in. Give up, stop supporting him.

Why would we? We like the character and the game, he comes from. We’re going to continue supporting him. Even if he doesn’t get in we’ll continue our support of him.

You don’t have to like the character but coming in here telling us why he won’t get in or that he’s just forgotten doesn’t help anything ether.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hero and Byleth did that so, it could happen ;3 Alongside with a SMRPG Medley by Shimomura Yoko
Probably about to rattle some jimmies but Byleth's stage is so boring... In my opinion it was the worst of the DLC stages. I know it's hard to live up to Castle Siege but Garreg Mach Monastery is somehow a traveling stage that's bland.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Geno thread, what I'm about to share could most likely be the biggest hit against Spirit deconfirmations, and Spirit battles (for both WoL and The Spirit Board).

I stumbled upon an interesting post, on Gamefaqs no less (Not sure if I can share the link here).
Anyways, what caught my attention was that Spirit Battles can be altered, specifically the fighter representing said Spirit could be switched for a different fighter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheNintendoFeed/status/1227589841690472449
View attachment 262249
Now look closely at the pics in this tweet, what do you see?
The Cuphead spirit is being represented by Mega Man. And apparently, that same spirit battle is changed if you've purchased Cuphead's Mii costume.

Mega Man gets replaced by a Mii Gunner wearing Cuphead's costume, and the music changes to Floral Fury from whatever it was previously.

Geno, Waluigi, Isaac, Shantae, and all the characters who had a Spirit battle since base game could get theirs altered if they were chosen for Fighters Pass Vol. 2 and beyond.

I always figured this would have happened with the Tails spirit battle when his Mii costume came out. (Fox replaced with Gunner)

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Probably about to rattle some jimmies but Byleth's stage is so boring... In my opinion it was the worst of the DLC stages. I know it's hard to live up to Castle Siege but Garreg Mach Monastery is somehow a traveling stage that's bland.
IMO, The visuals are good enough, the transition between stages is like Stage-Morph but.. it could be worse (?.
I just hate that, I wanted to see more characters behind instead of just.. 3 for example. But in general and overall, I think the stage is Ok.

I do agree with you that it seems to be the worse between all the other DLC stages tho.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Yeah, the Monastery is pretty bland as far as travelling stages go. A Super Mario RPG one that goes through the Forest Maze, Bowser's Castle and Smithy's Lair, and Star Road would be a real treat though. That, and Fatman, even though you have your theories as to who number #6 might be, there is still a chance we could see Geno as fighter #6 and how the season could open, right?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hero's stage isn't super exciting either but the visuals are gorgeous and neither is Terry's but at least it has a unique gimmick to it. If anything, I just want a hypothetical Mario RPG to have something unique to it.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I just want to be in the parts of the stage that have the Blue Lions and. golden deer characters on it. If I could remove the part with the egales and remove Reha from the cathedral part, I would

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Geno's obstacles are honestly no bigger than a good number of the characters that got in. Ridley, Dark Samus, Daisy, and Chrom were dunked on by Sakurai himself, Plant is a generic enemy, Joker's main game isn't even on a Nintendo platform, Dragon Quest is a licensing nightmare, Banjo is owned by a direct competitor, and Byleth was added despite literally checking multiple boxes for things fans absolutely didn't want more of in Smash. I don't see how people can look at characters like Plant and Banjo and still be like "Geno's totally impossible."
Echoes are a very different standard of qualification so I doubt a that's good comparison .

As for other fighters, they have respective obstacles, and so do many other unchosen characters. Just the reality is that many characters would have to be doomed to not become Smash fighters. All we fans here can only hope it to come true, not that its a 100% guarantee that Geno can definitely become a fighter.

Even for the already chosen characters, they still have controversies around since the obstacles would be a reason why not all gamers think they are really competent.

They literally just added another FE character, so I doubt another Mario character would be near as controversial.
They both are, I think?

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Geno's reveal will assuredly get more of a positive response than any additional FE reps due to his fan favorite status and a character that has been talked about for years. Not to mention the impact it would have on the fandom as a whole

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Echoes are a very different standard of qualification so I doubt a that's good comparison .

As for other fighters, they have respective obstacles, and so do many other unchosen characters. Just the reality is that many characters would have to be doomed to not become Smash fighters. All we fans here can only hope it to come true, not that its a 100% guarantee that Geno can definitely become a fighter.

Even for the already chosen characters, they still have controversies around since the obstacles would be a reason why not all gamers think they are really competent.

They both are, I think?
You can't really compare FE to Mario.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
When Sakurai himself says there is too many FE Sword fighters ... you know anything else related to Nintendo wouldn't have the same controversy as another rep from that series.

(No hate for the FE base since I've played and enjoyed the games ... but I think even as fans of the series we can at least understand the frustration)

Polarthief

Smash Lord
My ideal SMRPG stage is a "world tour." There's so many iconic locales in that game I honestly can't pick just one.
Hell yeah, I mentioned this forever ago.
- Mushroom Kingdom/Bandit's Way: During the day, nothing really happens, but it'll randomly change to night and Mack/the bouncing Shy Guys come out. Croco also causes shenanigans.
- Forest Maze: Bowyer shooting buttons that will disable Smashes, Specials, or Shielding randomly. Maybe also fires volleys at the stage? If you get hit by an arrow, you get stunned for a second or two (better than permanently stunned like in the game).
- Booster's Tower: Booster shows up on his train and with his 3 Snifits. Bumping into them damages you. Snifits shoot stuff.
- Seaside Town/The Sea/Sunken Ship: Jonathan Jones and his crew in the background; Yaridovich uses spells and illusions to mess with people.
- Nimbus Land/Barrel Volcano: Valentina, Dodo, Czar Dragon, Axem Rangers
- Bowser's Castle/Smithy's Factory: All of both. Just all the things.

Just to name a few places...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Geno's response would be fine, even among people who don't know him.

Smash Fanbase when ICs, Pit, Terry, Duck Hunt, Lucas, etc were added: 'Who the **** is this?!?"

Several weeks later: "I've only known this character for 16 days but if Sakurai EVER tries to remove them from Smash, I will kill EVERYONE in my neighborhood and then myself."

Every. Single. Time.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
*When Geno sees people debating whether or not he can be playable because he is already a Spirit, even though Geno has already been chosen as Vol. 2 DLC but it just hasn't been confirmed yet
IMG_20200214_155209.png

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Geno's response would be fine, even among people who don't know him.

Smash Fanbase when ICs, Pit, Terry, Duck Hunt, Lucas, etc were added: 'Who the **** is this?!?"

Several weeks later: "I've only known this character for 16 days but if Sakurai EVER tries to remove them from Smash, I will kill EVERYONE in my neighborhood and then myself."

Every. Single. Time.
Well all the Smash fighters are judged with their qualification. Not that people don't know others so they cannot judge otherwise all videogames would has reached 100% positive ratings. Even some of the past fighters before Byleth are still in controversies.

Realistically there will be removals of characters in future Smash games, I think?

*When Geno sees people debating whether or not he can be playable because he is already a Spirit, even though Geno has already been chosen as Vol. 2 DLC but it just hasn't been confirmed yet
Don't think that's the matter. The worst case is of course he reaches nothing, but assume that he's become a Smash fighters in a near future, the fact that he missed many opportunities to appear in many games is still quite dissapoiting, right? Not like that painful route is a necessary thing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You can't really compare FE to Mario.
Sure you can.

Super Mario Bros: Released 1985 (35 years old)
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light: Released 1990 (30 years old)

Mario Franchise Games: Over 200
Fire Emblem Franchise Games: 19

Mario Franchise genres: Platformer, RPG, Sports, Party, FPS, Shovelware, Pinball, Puzzle,
Fire Emblem genres: Turn based strategy, Gacha shovelware

Mario Franchise Revenue (Estimated): $36 Billion
Fire Emblem Franchise Revnue (Personal Estimation): 940 million + 500 million from Gacha shovelware[1]

But somehow, as far as Smash representation goes:
Mario: 9
Fire Emblem: 8

Based on games released, Mario deserves ten times as many characters as Fire Emblem and based on sales numbers Mario deserves almost 36 times as many characters as Fire Emblem. Those numbers are both outlandish, but it drives home the point that arguing that Mario doesn't deserve more reps is asinine to the highest level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I like that 2 SMRPG songs were randomly copyright taken down many moons ago, and people still think Geno's chances are poor, not to mention his costume is still AWOL when that was meant to "give the fans something" (and if you think a Spirit is "something" over a costume, you're mentally insane for thinking that). Not to mention Sakurai outright advocates for Geno, says he's perfect for Smash, and even said he wanted him in Brawl, but for whatever reason, it didn't happen.

There's so much evidence in favor of Geno and the fact that people still have to "debate" his chances is very baffling.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Exorbin Bowsers Castle would be the best SMRPG stage and I will physically, spiritually, and emotionally fight anyone who disagrees with me.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Not to mention Sakurai outright advocates for Geno, says he's perfect for Smash, and even said he wanted him in Brawl, but for whatever reason, it didn't happen.

There's so much evidence in favor of Geno and the fact that people still have to "debate" his chances is very baffling.
To be fair, Sakurai has advocates for other characters that have references in Smash bros.

My opinion is that Geno is possible along with other characters in the future. We cannot deny his qualification as he is indeed part of the Nintendo history. Just saying it's 100% or high chance would be too far.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Really quick just want to point out that you have the quote saying it's from Serenade01, which is weird cuz I said that, heh. Anyway:

Just saying it's 100% or high chance would be too far.
No, his chances for at least a Mii costume or Fighter at this point is around 99.9%, with the costume being 10%, fighter being 89.9%, and the last .1% being SMRPG is getting a remake and for whatever reason they needed to copyright strike those 2 songs.

They stopped doing copyright takedowns like that. They also took down MEGALOVANIA (a song they have ZERO means to copyright takedown) and it led to the Sans Mii Costume (and it wasn't even every instance of the song). They take down 2 songs and hmmm, all other SE reps have 2 songs each. Isn't that something?

If you want to argue Premium Mii Costume with 2 songs, fine, whatever, but to say that his chances aren't high is just blatantly ignoring the evidence. Feel free to ignore everything Sakurai said, feel free tot ignore the fact that his Sm4sh costume is missing. The two songs being taken down alone is a huge piece of evidence that cannot go ignored in discussions like this.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Really quick just want to point out that you have the quote saying it's from Serenade01, which is weird cuz I said that, heh. Anyway:

No, his chances for at least a Mii costume or Fighter at this point is around 99.9%, with the costume being 10%, fighter being 89.9%, and the last .1% being SMRPG is getting a remake and for whatever reason they needed to copyright strike those 2 songs.

They stopped doing copyright takedowns like that. They also took down MEGALOVANIA (a song they have ZERO means to copyright takedown) and it led to the Sans Mii Costume (and it wasn't even every instance of the song). They take down 2 songs and hmmm, all other SE reps have 2 songs each. Isn't that something?

If you want to argue Premium Mii Costume with 2 songs, fine, whatever, but to say that his chances aren't high is just blatantly ignoring the evidence. Feel free to ignore everything Sakurai said, feel free tot ignore the fact that his Sm4sh costume is missing. The two songs being taken down alone is a huge piece of evidence that cannot go ignored in discussions like this.
Like said, there is still a distance with a full garuntee with the coexistence of other contents in this game, if under the same assumption other characters would have same chance. That's why I said it's fair to assume Geno has a chance to compete with other candidates.

Yep, that's your opinion.
What?

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Like said, there is still a distance with a full garuntee with the coexistence of other contents in this game, if under the same assumption other characters would have same chance. That's why I said it's fair to assume Geno has a chance to compete with other candidates.
What other candidates have the same level of evidence? Do you see other songs being copyright taken down relating to other characters? Do you see content of them missing from this game? Do you see anything pointing to them?

- Sora has *NOTHING* going for him but being popular. He also has Disney as a massive roadblock. If only 1 SE rep, he also has Geno in his way, though I doubt that's much of a problem as SE could easily have 2+ if they wanted.
- Crash was heard and his recent reboots were put on Switch. Crash has also been massively requested, but outside of insiders hearing about him, there's no actual evidence in his favor. While I do think his chances are very high, he doesn't have any evidence.
- Dante is basically Sora too. His chances spiked because of the DMC twitter's dates. Still no evidence.
- Master Chief is purely because of Microsoft and Nintendo being cool. He's probably in, but again, no evidence outside of insiders hearing things.
- Steve ^. Besides Verge saying "Minecraft content" since the game has been out, literally nothing else going for him. Also has to get by Master Chief, who I personally think will take the second Microsoft spot over him.
- Lloyd is requested too, but has little going for him as well outside of the trademark and that new icon.
- Hayabusa isn't nearly as requested, but that one insider kept saying he was #5 for sure. No evidence.
- Arle actually does have some evidence, but in the form of her NSO game getting in over Kirby's Avalanche. Seems weird considering that's been there since E3(?) and she's still not in though.
- (edit) 2B I haven't been following at all, but there's no evidence there at all AFAIK. She even has a strike against them with Mai being unable to show up with Terry's stage.

^ these are the front-runners according to fans btw, none of which (to my knowledge) have any major evidence going for them outside of insiders saying things. To say any of these characters have a higher chance over one with, again, legitimate evidence, is nuts. Geno's chances are through the roof right now. Is he guaranteed? Of course not, I'd never say that until he gets his splash screen, but again, his chances are higher than everyone else here based purely on evidence and not hearsay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom